What is the meaning of "fan"? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What is the meaning of "fan"?

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Excuse for my ignorance but GM should be more than a place for arguements and back and forth disagreements between posters. So now that the major season is officially over- what does the word "fan" mean to you? Are you a fanatic in the true sense and have emotional highs and lows when your player wins or losers or can you keep a level head?And are you someone who becomes emotionally distraught or distant when matches do or don't go the way you would like?

To me one can be a fan of the player/tennis and still give constructive criticism of that player or any other without being arrogant or inflammatory.

Saumon
11-20-2005, 03:03 PM
A fan:

http://www.metalmart.co.jp/shop/item_image/L/metal_fan_l.gif

Carlita
11-20-2005, 03:04 PM
a fan is someone who supports through good and bad times, is happy when the player wins, sad when the player loses.....and leaves the critism/analyzing to those who are on the player's payroll!! But that's just my humble opinion.... when I read here in GM I get a totally different feeling.....:(

yeah, I'm one who gets upset when my favs lose.......but i keep on cheering for them and giving support instead of tearing them apart......(or their opponents :ras: ) they have people around them who can see what's wrong and what needs to be changed. It's not a fan's place to do that.:angel:

Carlita
11-20-2005, 03:04 PM
A fan:

http://www.metalmart.co.jp/shop/item_image/L/metal_fan_l.gif:lol:

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 03:06 PM
A fan:

Sweet and thanks for answering. ;)

Scotso
11-20-2005, 03:33 PM
a fan is someone who supports through good and bad times, is happy when the player wins, sad when the player loses.....and leaves the critism/analyzing to those who are on the player's payroll!! But that's just my humble opinion.... when I read here in GM I get a totally different feeling.....:(

yeah, I'm one who gets upset when my favs lose.......but i keep on cheering for them and giving support instead of tearing them apart......(or their opponents :ras: ) they have people around them who can see what's wrong and what needs to be changed. It's not a fan's place to do that.:angel:

Agreed. You are a fan. I am a fan.

Many people, who shall remain nameless, are only "fans" of their "favorite" players when those players win. That's not a fan.

Those same players like to make fun of me for continuing to cheer Karol even when he has a bad season. But, doing that is what makes me a true fan.

Saumon
11-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Go to the Safin forum and you'll know what a fan is :crazy:

*Viva Chile*
11-20-2005, 03:38 PM
A fan:

:haha:

almouchie
11-20-2005, 03:43 PM
i loved the pic (lovely carlita)

Saumon
11-20-2005, 03:50 PM
The meaning of a fan:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=61075

:tape:

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM
The meaning of a fan:

Yes I read this and that's a shame for that person.

Carlita
11-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Those same players like to make fun of me for continuing to cheer Karol even when he has a bad season. But, doing that is what makes me a true fan.Well it's in times like that a player could do with support and know there are still people who believe in him apart from family and friends :hug: Good for you!!!

My number one, Carlos Moya, has had a rotten year....doesn't mean I stop supporting him! No! All the more reason to stay positive and hope next year will be a better one! :hug:

Jennay
11-20-2005, 04:27 PM
I concur with Carlita's definition of a fan. :hug:
The meaning of a fan:

:tape: :rolleyes:

basil333
11-20-2005, 04:55 PM
In my eyes - An individual player fan is someone that supports their player whether they win lose or retire,

A Player once told me that all the players know who their true fans are, he then said people dont realise this - but we do :).

A fan of tennis is someone that enjoys the game and realises that at the end of the day 2 people go out onto a court, and one will come off the winner, and hopefully they will provide the audience with an entertaining match to define the winner.

freesbee
11-20-2005, 05:03 PM
A fan:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Saumon again.

:haha:

cobalt60
11-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Excuse for my ignorance but GM should be more than a place for arguements and back and forth disagreements between posters. So now that the major season is officially over- what does the word "fan" mean to you? Are you a fanatic in the true sense and have emotional highs and lows when your player wins or losers or can you keep a level head?And are you someone who becomes emotionally distraught or distant when matches do or don't go the way you would like?

To me one can be a fan of the player/tennis and still give constructive criticism of that player or any other without being arrogant or inflammatory.
I assume you mean a fan of the player who is "on the court"? Sometimes we become a fan of that player for one reason and then find out other things that do indeed make us change our minds.

It is better for me to be a fan of tennis. ;)

adee-gee
11-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Apparently no-one can be a proper tennis fan unless they adore Federer :shrug:

Merton
11-20-2005, 05:27 PM
A fan is somebody who supports his/her favourites through all times, even though it may get frustrating at times. If you want to speak objectively about any player, you must be taking account of the opponent, the match-ups and so on. It is no coincidence that backwagoners blissfully ignore the role of the other player-for them it is all about marching forward to victory.

*Ljubica*
11-20-2005, 05:31 PM
I assume you mean a fan of the player who is "on the court"? Sometimes we become a fan of that player for one reason and then find out other things that do indeed make us change our minds.

:worship:

Sparko1030
11-20-2005, 06:39 PM

That's exactly how I feel!!! :hatoff:

DrJules
11-20-2005, 06:57 PM
A fanatic. :devil:

NicoFan
11-20-2005, 07:07 PM
I agree with Lady Carlita.

I think a true fan is someone who will support their favorites through the good and the bad. Through the rough times on...or off...court not just through the good times. Whether they are ranked #1 or #101. And to remain understanding and compassionate to them through their bad times and not judge them, remembering that most of these guys are young, live in a very insular world, and have more pressure on them than any of us can ever imagine.

As for the people here on MTF that harshly judge players and make it a sport in and of itself of harrassing a player's fans that they don't like - I wish they'd find another sport entirely to follow. They shouldn't make their own opinions someone else's problem.

And the way they cruelly diss players to me shows more about their own character than the players they diss. They obviously get such joy and a kick out of tormenting the fans of the player's they hate...not nice people to say the least. :eek:

adee-gee
11-20-2005, 07:09 PM
As for the people here on MTF that harshly judge players and make it a sport in and of itself of harrassing a player's fans that they don't like - I wish they'd find another sport entirely to follow. They shouldn't make their own opinions someone else's problem.

And the way they cruelly diss players to me shows more about their own character than the players they diss. They obviously get such joy and a kick out of tormenting the fans of the player's they hate...not nice people to say the least. :eek:
Was that directed at me :sad:

NicoFan
11-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Was that directed at me :sad:

No, Adee-gee it was not...I think you're kind of funny at times. :hug:

You get lots of passes cuz your 20 something...I never judge 20 somethings...I wish I was 20 something again - life's most fun time. :)

adee-gee
11-20-2005, 07:18 PM
No, Adee-gee it was not...I think you're kind of funny at times. :hug:

You get lots of passes cuz your 20 something...I never judge 20 somethings...I wish I was 20 something again - life's most fun time. :)
I'm 21, and I'm a http://yelims1.free.fr/Anges/Ange01.gif

NicoFan
11-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm 21, and I'm a http://yelims1.free.fr/Anges/Ange01.gif

A little devil is more like it! :lol:

But boys will be boys so have fun Adee-gee... ;)

And Vamos Rafa - he's got to take #1 next year...got to! I'm a little worried because he has soo many points to defend, his knees are bothering him, and I just hope the pressure doesn't get to him. :eek:

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 08:03 PM
I agree with Lady Carlita.

I think a true fan is someone who will support their favorites through the good and the bad. Through the rough times on...or off...court not just through the good times. Whether they are ranked #1 or #101. And to remain understanding and compassionate to them through their bad times and not judge them, remembering that most of these guys are young, live in a very insular world, and have more pressure on them than any of us can ever imagine.

Hmmm you went above and beyond answering the question. You mentioned this last night as well in a reply to me. Sounds like you feel you and/or your player(s) have been "judged"? But opinions should be welcomed in my view; after all the world would be such a boring place if we all thought and did the same. Just like in a science fiction novel. How horrid that would be.

So do you consider yourself a fanatic then? In the true sense of the word?

Washa Koroleva
11-20-2005, 08:19 PM
There are different type of fans. Some just say that they are one because they prefer him/her/it over the rest. There are also fans with a reaaaall passion for their love- collecting anything they can find.

And there are really really stupid fans. Fans, who are soooo much of a fan, that they could stalk.
Even more weird are those who would kill themselves when someone stops working in their business. Like some girl killed herself when Take That quit.

No matter who you like, don't end up being one of the last two. :worship:

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 09:30 PM
According to the Oxford Dictionary meanings useful to this thread:
FAN:
1. An enthusiast-a keen spectator of the sport

2. An instrument for agitating the air

FANATIC: ( which I didn't realise so maybe shouldn't be used here unless a poster feels they are of course)

1. a person affected by excessive and mistaken enthusiasm

2. an unreasoning enthusiast

3. frenzied

FANATICISM:

excessive enthusiasm

Not what I thought at all.

NicoFan
11-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Hmmm you went above and beyond answering the question. You mentioned this last night as well in a reply to me. Sounds like you feel you and/or your player(s) have been "judged"? But opinions should be welcomed in my view; after all the world would be such a boring place if we all thought and did the same. Just like in a science fiction novel. How horrid that would be.

So do you consider yourself a fanatic then? In the true sense of the word?

I emailed you the long version, here I'll put the short. ;)

Normally I try to ignore the haters - they're not worth it.

But the bashing of Fer Gonzalez after losing to Gaston, pissed me off. He had a great year - no need to bash him when all players get tight.

I don't consider myself to be a fanatic. I love tennis, and enjoy watching my two favorites - Nico and Fer - and a few others. Its a diversion from real life, and I don't get crazed about it.

I don't understand fans who take this stuff seriously. When fans take it too seriously, that takes the fun out of it for people like me who just want to enjoy the game and the couple guys we like to follow.

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 10:22 PM
I emailed you the long version, here I'll put the short. ;)

Normally I try to ignore the haters - they're not worth it.

But the bashing of Fer Gonzalez after losing to Gaston, pissed me off. He had a great year - no need to bash him when all players get tight.

I don't consider myself to be a fanatic. I love tennis, and enjoy watching my two favorites - Nico and Fer - and a few others. Its a diversion from real life, and I don't get crazed about it.

I don't understand fans who take this stuff seriously. When fans take it too seriously, that takes the fun out of it for people like me who just want to enjoy the game and the couple guys we like to follow.
Sorry I have not yet read the pm. But I did go to the general thread and I read all the posts in the Gaudio beat Gonzalez one and I did not read too many negative posts as you said. There were 3 posts where he was called a name but a few others were by posters who were fans of his. And you do seem to be taking this somewhat seriously after all then when I read your posts. I truly wonder if these players would have a problem or not with any of those posts. Maybe they could care less as they have more important issues in their lives.

NicoFan
11-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Sorry I have not yet read the pm. But I did go to the general thread and I read all the posts in the Gaudio beat Gonzalez one and I did not read too many negative posts as you said. There were 3 posts where he was called a name but a few others were by posters who were fans of his. And you do seem to be taking this somewhat seriously after all then when I read your posts. I truly wonder if these players would have a problem or not with any of those posts. Maybe they could care less as they have more important issues in their lives.

Lol! You must be new here because I'm not the only one complaining about the hate threads. Its been going on ever since I got here - not just Fernando but against Andy, Gaston, Mariano, etc. etc. A lot of people won't even come on to GM because of it.

And again, I usually ignore it.

But considering that you said something to me when I said something negative about two of your favorites, maybe you should take your own advice??? ;) ;)

Sparko1030
11-20-2005, 10:50 PM

Sorry this is getting off topic but....I agree Nicofan. Tennis is entertainment to me and I love my favs but it is just a game. I am working on ingoring the posters who trash all players not just my favs (cause sooner or later they'll find something to trash everyone for lol!) And I try to be considerate of other fans. My pet peeve are posters who are hypocritical. They hate some players for something but readily forgive the same behavior in players they like. But we're all entitled to our opinions and the MTF is a big place, there should be room for us all. (I do reserve the right to ALWAYS defend my favs when the need arises!) :)

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Lol! You must be new here because I'm not the only one complaining about the hate threads. Its been going on ever since I got here - not just Fernando but against Andy, Gaston, Mariano, etc. etc. A lot of people won't even come on to GM because of it.

And again, I usually ignore it.

But considering that you said something to me when I said something negative about two of your favorites, maybe you should take your own advice??? ;) ;)
I am new here and I have no favorite tennis players. I neither like nor dislike. I was just pointing out to you that you said in one sentence you did not diss players but then in another you dissed those players. So that seemed out of place to me. And you apologised about it so you recognised it as well.
And it seems to me that there are haters and lovers as well. That extremes exist on both sides of the spectrum. But off topic and not important. I did not mean to make you defensive so apologies please. Because of all things a tennis board seems so trivial.

NicoFan
11-20-2005, 11:04 PM
My pet peeve are posters who are hypocritical. They hate some players for something but readily forgive the same behavior in players they like.

:worship:

(I do reserve the right to ALWAYS defend my favs when the need arises!) :)

Anyone disses my chicos, I'm will be there to defend them... :yeah:

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Sorry this is getting off topic but....I agree Nicofan. Tennis is entertainment to me and I love my favs but it is just a game. I am working on ingoring the posters who trash all players not just my favs (cause sooner or later they'll find something to trash everyone for lol!) And I try to be considerate of other fans. My pet peeve are posters who are hypocritical. They hate some players for something but readily forgive the same behavior in players they like. But we're all entitled to our opinions and the MTF is a big place, there should be room for us all. (I do reserve the right to ALWAYS defend my favs when the need arises!) :)
Then you consider yourself a true fan or fanatic? And I am sorry but most of your post makes no sense to me at all.

NicoFan
11-20-2005, 11:08 PM
I am new here and I have no favorite tennis players. I neither like nor dislike. I was just pointing out to you that you said in one sentence you did not diss players but then in another you dissed those players. So that seemed out of place to me. And you apologised about it so you recognised it as well.
And it seems to me that there are haters and lovers as well. That extremes exist on both sides of the spectrum. But off topic and not important. I did not mean to make you defensive so apologies please. Because of all things a tennis board seems so trivial.

Its sad mrpotatoman, but you'll see. :sad: GM is a scary place...lol!!! Wait to you see how they go after certain players. Again, there are people who won't go near GM.

And yes, I was bad yesterday and I did apologize for it. I rarely diss another player though. Sorry that the first post you see me in was that. So again, my apologies.

Sparko1030
11-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Then you consider yourself a true fan or fanatic? And I am sorry but most of your post makes no sense to me at all.

A fan. And sorry-didn't mean to write a hard to understand post. Don't know how to make it more clear. I guess either you get it or you don't. :)

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 11:29 PM
A fan. And sorry-didn't mean to write a hard to understand post. Don't know how to make it more clear. I guess either you get it or you don't. :)
I am not sure I understand why a player's behavior has anything to do with this thread but you obviously seem ready to fight for the players that you support at all costs it seems from what you have posted. So you are truly serious fans. Unless you are pulling my leg or something. And you both like the same players. That's interesting in and of itself here.
And I don't think General Messages will scare me off. This is just a tennis board; who really cares at the end of the day which is indeed ending for me.
Good night.

Sparko1030
11-20-2005, 11:42 PM
I am not sure I understand why a player's behavior has anything to do with this thread but you obviously seem ready to fight for the players that you support at all costs it seems from what you have posted. So you are truly serious fans. Unless you are pulling my leg or something. And you both like the same players. That's interesting in and of itself here.
And I don't think General Messages will scare me off. This is just a tennis board; who really cares at the end of the day which is indeed ending for me.
Good night.

:shrug: Now I'm the one whose a little confused. I don't think what I said about defending my favs is much different than what other posters have said. Yeah, Nicofan and I like the same players I don't think that's a big secret. I don't know why you would think I'm pulling your leg or something. I'm very straight forward and hate games. I posted on this thread because I liked it-and Lady Carlita's post. Sometimes these threads take on a life of their own and posters get off topic like I did this time. And you are so right that this is just a tennis board. Sorry I went off topic and hope to see ya around the GM! :hatoff:

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
11-20-2005, 11:49 PM
well, i don't know the exact meaning of "fan" :rolleyes: but one thing is sure...i'm a fan and that makes me happy all the time, from January until end of December... :cool: I'm lovin' it! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/pix-perso/ba8fbbef.jpg

:angel:

Chloe le Bopper
11-21-2005, 12:16 AM
A REAL FAN is always first in line to fellate their favourite. REAL FANS know enough to bring along a hockey stick so that they can hack at any asshole who tries to get clever and bump their way up the line.

El Legenda
11-21-2005, 12:18 AM
fan 1 (fn) KEY

NOUN:

A device for creating a current of air or a breeze, especially:
A machine using an electric motor to rotate thin, rigid vanes in order to move air, as for cooling.
A collapsible, usually wedge-shaped device made of a light material such as silk, paper, or plastic.
A machine for winnowing.
Something resembling an open fan in shape: a peacock's fan.

mandoura
11-21-2005, 05:51 AM

I like this thought Sue. I am a fan of tennis too. :)

mandoura
11-21-2005, 06:52 AM
My PERSONAL interpretation of a fan:

A fan is more like an enthusiastic friend. He/she will see the good and bad in a player. One cannot always see only the good thing. Like a true friend, a fan should be objective about the player he/she supports.

Players are no Gods. They are subject to criticism, technically by knowledgeable fans and on a personal level by the average fan. I wouldn't want a friend/fan who always thinks I am right and cannot do wrong. I don't want a friend/fan who is in constat admiration and would not point out my shortcomings.

We have a saying here: I'd rather have a friend who makes me cry because I was wrong and cry with me so I can be better, then have a friend who makes me laugh and make a fool out of me and turn me into laughable stock.

Criticising a player does not by any means imply or suggest bashing/insulting this player. I can criticise my favorite player and still like him/her. It is in no way demeaning to him/her.

A fan who is infatuated and obssessed by his/her favorite player to the extent of defending him/her every single time, for me, is not a helpful fan but rather the contrary. Some fans are blind to their favorites' flaws. They are adamant in defending them and, unknowingly, turning people against their favorites by doing so. They lash at anyone who criticises them and then, so conveniently, apologise. For me, this is not being a true fan but rather just being a mute magic mirror for one's favorites.

This is my personal opinion. I expect my friends to tell me when I am wrong much more than when I am right. I am more keen on my duties then my rights.

That's how I see it. Now shoot me. :D

drf716
11-21-2005, 07:04 AM
a fan is blind
like me.
a fan is stubborn
like me.
a fan is stupid
like me.
i'm a fan of MARAT. huhhu

mandoura
11-21-2005, 07:09 AM
a fan is blind
like me.
a fan is stubborn
like me.
a fan is stupid
like me.
i'm a fan of MARAT. huhhu

:lol: That's a sweet way of putting it. :)

I am a fan of Marat's too. BTW, your avatar is great :yeah: .

sigmagirl91
11-21-2005, 10:41 AM
My PERSONAL interpretation of a fan:

A fan is more like an enthusiastic friend. He/she will see the good and bad in a player. One cannot always see only the good thing. Like a true friend, a fan should be objective about the player he/she supports.

Players are no Gods. They are subject to criticism, technically by knowledgeable fans and on a personal level by the average fan. I wouldn't want a friend/fan who always thinks I am right and cannot do wrong. I don't want a friend/fan who is in constat admiration and would not point out my shortcomings.

We have a saying here: I'd rather have a friend who makes me cry because I was wrong and cry with me so I can be better, then have a friend who makes me laugh and make a fool out of me and turn me into laughable stock.

Criticising a player does not by any means imply or suggest bashing/insulting this player. I can criticise my favorite player and still like him/her. It is in no way demeaning to him/her.

A fan who is infatuated and obssessed by his/her favorite player to the extent of defending him/her every single time, for me, is not a helpful fan but rather the contrary. Some fans are blind to their favorites' flaws. They are adamant in defending them and, unknowingly, turning people against their favorites by doing so. They lash at anyone who criticises them and then, so conveniently, apologise. For me, this is not being a true fan but rather just being a mute magic mirror for one's favorites.

This is my personal opinion. I expect my friends to tell me when I am wrong much more than when I am right. I am more keen on my duties then my rights.

That's how I see it. Now shoot me. :D

No....you're right. :hug:

*Ljubica*
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
And I agree too - Mandoura - you are absolutely right :) There is nothing more pathetic in my opinion, than a fan who only sees the good in their player to the point of watching them lose in straight easy sets and then says "he played a great match" :rolleyes: Tennis players are only people after all - far too many people here treat them as some strange, god-like species who are better than the people who watch them. As people - some may command our respect and affection - but no human being has the right to total blind adoration.

NicoFan
11-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Tennis players are only people after all - far too many people here treat them as some strange, god-like species who are better than the people who watch them. As people - some may command our respect and affection - but no human being has the right to total blind adoration.

And the problem with total blind adoration is that when the fan sees their favorite do something they're not completely happy with, then the player falls of that pedestal they put them on and the fan then goes from blind adoration to blind hatred.

mandoura
11-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Tiff and Rosie :hug: . I cherish your opinions a lot. I am glad you agree because both of you are among the most sensible posters around. :)

*Ljubica*
11-21-2005, 01:26 PM
And the problem with total blind adoration is that when the fan sees their favorite do something they're not completely happy with, then the player falls of that pedestal they put them on and the fan then goes from blind adoration to blind hatred.

Yes - that is true. All human beings have failings - and if somoene is blind enough to only see one side of them through "rose-tinted" glasses - they are bound to be let down when they see that their idol has "feet of clay"! Sad - but true,

*Ljubica*
11-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Tiff and Rosie :hug: . I cherish your opinions a lot. I am glad you agree because both of you are among the most sensible posters around. :)

Mandoura - thank you :hug:

NicoFan
One last thought.

A lot of players get bashed so much that I change from just liking them to loving them...lol!

Two examples, Andy and Mariano. I started off not really like Andy but got to like him earlier this year. Like him, but didn't follow him like I do my favorites. But then people here bash him so much that I feel so bad for him and his fans, I LOVE him now! lol! Ditto Mariano - after the Roland Garros final, I really liked him and had a lot of respect for him. But after people judged and convicted him when he hadn't even been charged yet - I LOVE the guy now!!! Extreme bashing can also cause a fan to like a player more. lol!

mandoura

That's an extreme conclusion, don't you think Nicofan? :)

Besides hatred is such a strong word :eek: . IMHO, I don't think that, for example, should Massu do something wrong you would hate him, would you?

Again IMHO, it is not either black or white, shades of grey are very handy. :D

I might be turned off by say a specific Rogelio flaw but this will not make me hate him. :)

mandoura
11-21-2005, 01:33 PM
One last thought.

A lot of players get bashed so much that I change from just liking them to loving them...lol!

Two examples, Andy and Mariano. I started off not really like Andy but got to like him earlier this year. Like him, but didn't follow him like I do my favorites. But then people here bash him so much that I feel so bad for him and his fans, I LOVE him now! lol! Ditto Mariano - after the Roland Garros final, I really liked him and had a lot of respect for him. But after people judged and convicted him when he hadn't even been charged yet - I LOVE the guy now!!! Extreme bashing can also cause a fan to like a player more. lol!

Very true. Any extreme feeling or behavior is bound to backfire or get an opposite reaction. That's why I prefer not to have extreme anything.

Your two examples fit well. I've always liked both players. Bashing them, made me sympathise with them more.

*Ljubica*
11-21-2005, 01:36 PM

Besides hatred is such a strong word :eek: . IMHO, I don't think that, for example, should Massu do something wrong you would hate him, would you?

I might be turned off by say a specific Rogelio flaw but this will not make me hate him. :)

Sadly some people do react in an extreme manner - it is the old "love is akin to hate" thing, - so there are people who would react in the way Nico mentioned (not her of course!).

NicoFan
11-21-2005, 01:41 PM

Sorry must not have made myself clear. :)

I was talking about the people that bash.

I've seen Nico do many things wrong. .still adore him, but know that he needs to improve in certain areas...lol!!! But he's not any different than most of the players...except many Roger and Rafa. I pm'd you on this because it was too long for a post - but I can be very criticial of my two chicos but its constructive criticism. Unfortunately a lot of the bashing - for example in the cases with Andy and Mariano go to extreme levels. Maybe hatred is too harsh of a word - but when you see them go on and on and on about a player week after week, its obviously not LOVE that drives them...lol! ;)

mandoura
11-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Sadly some people do react in an extreme manner - it is the old "love is akin to hate" thing, - so there are people who would react in the way Nico mentioned (not her of course!).

Ok, I can see that. :D

But you see, here the saying goes like this: "The heart that loves cannot hate". It might be a bit naive, I admit :lol: , but it makes life nicer.

And that's why I extremely ;) don't like extremes. :lol:

NicoFan
11-21-2005, 02:21 PM
And that's why I extremely ;) don't like extremes. :lol:

I think we're all saying the same thing here.

The extreme of loving a player so much that its sugary sweet yucky isn't a pretty sight. The extreme of disliking a player so much that they bash day and night also isn't a pretty sight.

Now that we've solved that problem, we can tackle world peace...lol!!!! (*wink* - smilies aren't working).

NicoFan
11-21-2005, 02:23 PM
BTW Mandoura - I pm'd you on this - let me know if you didn't get it. Its pretty much the same as what I said here though.

mandoura
11-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Sorry must not have made myself clear. :)

I was talking about the people that bash.

I've seen Nico do many things wrong. .still adore him, but know that he needs to improve in certain areas...lol!!! But he's not any different than most of the players...except many Roger and Rafa. I pm'd you on this because it was too long for a post - but I can be very criticial of my two chicos but its constructive criticism. Unfortunately a lot of the bashing - for example in the cases with Andy and Mariano go to extreme levels. Maybe hatred is too harsh of a word - but when you see them go on and on and on about a player week after week, its obviously not LOVE that drives them...lol! ;)

Thank you for clarifying NF, because I was replying to the word "hate" (as mentioned in your earlier post) not "bash" (as it was not mentioned in that post) . :)

So, I think, we are in agreement that extremes are not acceptable and that constructive criticism is expected from an objective fan and does not mean one's favorite is falling from one's grace.

I believe the problem lies with the "limit". To what extent should criticism go to be considered constructive and not just plain bashing for the sake of it? Who sets the limit?

As we are all different, no set limit will be agreed upon. I might see it as criticism, you might see it as constructive, Rosie might see it as bashing, Tiff might see it as a compliment, and so on. :)

The bottomline for me is, we are on a forum, we don't necessarily know each other in person. The players don't read every single word that is written so it is safe to assume they will not be hurt by it. So let's all enjoy the game that unite us while being courteous to each other, respecting each other's opinions whether we agree or not, and stop being over sensitive. :D And I don't mean anyone in particular, it is my opinion in general . :wavey:

mandoura
11-21-2005, 02:44 PM
BTW Mandoura - I pm'd you on this - let me know if you didn't get it. Its pretty much the same as what I said here though.

Yes, NF I got it but since you mentioned it here I thought it is easier to reply here. Besides, I have some problems with PMing back. Sometimes my PC just freezes when I try to reply. :)

Turkeyballs Paco
11-21-2005, 02:49 PM
There's a few players I really like, but I don't get too upset if they win or lose. It can be frustrating to see them lose a match they are expected to win, but it doesn't always work that way. We all have good days and bad. I can see the good with the bad in the players I support, and I'm not delusional about it.

But I don't hate any players really, and I just don't see the point of trolling with hateful messages about players, just to piss off their fans on MTF. When I see that happening, that poster is instantly on "ignore" because their heads are so far up their asses, they never have anything interesting to say anyway.

NicoFan
11-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Let's all enjoy the game that unite us while being courteous to each other, respecting each other's opinions whether we agree or not, and stop being over sensitive. :D

Amen. We just need to get that message to the bashers...

mandoura
11-21-2005, 03:10 PM
There's a few players I really like, but I don't get too upset if they win or lose. It can be frustrating to see them lose a match they are expected to win, but it doesn't always work that way. We all have good days and bad. I can see the good with the bad in the players I support, and I'm not delusional about it.

But I don't hate any players really, and I just don't see the point of trolling with hateful messages about players, just to piss off their fans on MTF. When I see that happening, that poster is instantly on "ignore" because their heads are so far up their asses, they never have anything interesting to say anyway.

I almost agree with your entire post except for one thing. I don't have anyone on "ignore", not because I like the trolls, but because I need the laughs. :D

Angle Queen
11-21-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm a fan of the game, for sure. Will watch regardless of who's playing because I love the sport. Period.

As for its constantly changing cast of characters, it becomes a bit more sublime. I think you become a 'fan' of a player for a variety of reasons...some of which aren't always politically-correct. To me, being a fan means rooting for that player against all others...regardless of the surface, H2H or crowd-support/general consensus. That doesn't mean you 'hate' their opponents, nor that you can't heap criticism on your favorite. You just want them to win!

I don't expect my favorites to be saints...on- or off-court. And, quite frankly, I really don't care about their off-court behavior...as long as I'm not aware of it. Call it the 'don't ask, don't tell' mantra. But when I learn of such deeds, and it goes both ways...good and bad...it does color my ability to cheer for or against them. Case in point: I became a real Max Mirnyi fan after observing him at a DC tie last year. Granted, that was just one tournament/event, but it made me open my eyes to him and his play a little more...and I liked what I saw. So....Go Max, Go! In that regard, I wish I had more opportunities to see the non-marquee players. Many of them are fine people with loads of talent...and deserving of adoring, cheering fans.

joske
11-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Yes, NF I got it but since you mentioned it here I thought it is easier to reply here. Besides, I have some problems with PMing back. Sometimes my PC just freezes when I try to reply. :)

I have the exact same problem! and not all the time either :mad: just when I really need it lol

imo the best descriptions of a 'fan' are already given: support through the good AND the bad, not bash their opponents - of course a little teasing never harmed anyone.. say if Roger beats Andy I would say 'egh Roger you asshole!', but I wouldn't go start a new thread by the title of 'Roger Federer biggest minger of all time and he only won bc he cheated and the umpire was totally biased and so on and so forth' (I know SOME people would do this kind of thing tho :( )

NicoFan
11-21-2005, 03:20 PM
imo the best descriptions of a 'fan' are already given: support through the good AND the bad, not bash their opponents - of course a little teasing never harmed anyone.. say if Roger beats Andy I would say 'egh Roger you asshole!', but I wouldn't go start a new thread by the title of 'Roger Federer biggest minger of all time and he only won bc he cheated and the umpire was totally biased and so on and so forth' (I know SOME people would do this kind of thing tho :( )

That was the best I've read in a lot time...kudos!!! :worship:

NicoFan
11-21-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't expect my favorites to be saints...on- or off-court. And, quite frankly, I really don't care about their off-court behavior...as long as I'm not aware of it. Call it the 'don't ask, don't tell' mantra. But when I learn of such deeds, and it goes both ways...good and bad...it does color my ability to cheer for or against them. Case in point: I became a real Max Mirnyi fan after observing him at a DC tie last year. Granted, that was just one tournament/event, but it made me open my eyes to him and his play a little more...and I liked what I saw. So....Go Max, Go! In that regard, I wish I had more opportunities to see the non-marquee players. Many of them are fine people with loads of talent...and deserving of adoring, cheering fans.

I love watching the non-marquee players. When I first started going to tournaments, I did only see the top players. But then I started to branch out, and glad I did. I wouldn't trade in Nico or Fernando for any of the top 5 players. So much more interesting following guys that you don't know what they're going to do next!!!!!!!!!! I just hold my breathe the entire time I watch them. Though it was much easier healthwise rooting for the Andre's and Boris' and Guga's at their peak...lol! Sometimes Nico and Fernando make me want to cry and scream all at the same time. And Feli...and Fer Verdasco...and James (before this year)...lol!. I do follow Rafa and Andy to keep myself sane, but even Andy makes me want to cry at times too! lol!!!

alfonsojose
11-21-2005, 03:57 PM
A fan:

:haha: :haha:

cobalt60
11-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Well this has turned into an interesting thread. AQ, Mandoura,Rosie-I could not agree with you more.
Contrary to others beliefs- I have never ever placed a player on a pedestal. I am sorry if I offend but no one other than my family would ever be put there.
And don't ask don't tell- the man in my sig likes that one. But what if you have no choice based on circumstances. Players are human beings absolutely but their treatment of fans, and other human beings should not go unnoticed when it is abusive. I don't care who or what they are. And sometimes all it takes is an apology. One player comes to mind going out of his way to do just that while another denies his behavior yet expects and continues to make contact.
There are no victims here. There is just the game of tennis and the joy it brings in watching, period. Whomever is playing. And before anyone responds may I just set the record straight- I would never "bother" a player. That would be unacceptable and lies/insinuations don't mean truth.

adee-gee
11-21-2005, 07:35 PM
I have the exact same problem! and not all the time either :mad: just when I really need it lol
Kind of :topic: but I like to lend a helping hand when possible. I had this problem, I'm not sure why it happens but I worked out that if I didn't quote the person that had PM'd me it would send ok. Hope that helps :)

enqvistfan
11-21-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't like the word "fan", it's like "fanatic", I would prefer "supporter".

For me, a fan or a supporter is someone who is supporting his/her player in bad and good moments, who suffers with his/her player during the match, who is objective (even if it's not always easy to be) when the player didn't play well, or when he didn't behave like he should.

The players are not saints. I meet each year a fan of Thomas Enqvist, and at the last Roland-Garros, we were a couple of supporters watching his 1st round. I think I saw the worst match of Thomas LIVE. For me, that day, he didn't respect the audience, first he arrived late (it's ok, but he's not like that in general), second, because he gave the match and he didn't fight. When I came back at home, I surfed on my website (dedicated to Enqvist), and that fan wrote : "Thomas lost but he played a great match", and with another person who was there with me, we said "how can you say that he played a great match ? He played the worst match of his life in Roland-Garros. Ok, he's our number 1 player, but you have to admit that he played very bad and that he didn't respect the persons who attended to his match". Well, he can be in a bad day but that day, Thomas didn't want to play. I wonder why he played. Then, she realised that she was a bit blind. But, this person, is very young, and I think she saw him like a :angel:

At the moment, he's ranked number 154 at the ATP Entry system and we are still a few to support him. I think he knows that we are still behind him because in the tournaments (mainly in France), he recognises us and waved us. Last year, he thanked us personally for our support, he knows the website, it's great :) He knows that some "fans" stopped to follow him because of his poor results. Like someone said (I think it's Rosie), players know who are their true fans. I started to follow his career in 1991 and I'm still there, I hope I'll have the opportunity to see LIVE his last match on the ATP Tour.

Then, as I said, i don't like the word "fan", for me it's like fanatic, especially when i see girls crying when they saw their player. It happened this year at the MS Paris-Bercy. For me, it's not only supporting a player, it's more than that !! You have persons who are totally mad about a player, or in love. They are disconnected from reality.

The friend who often comes with me in the tournaments, knows very well the world of cinema, she often goes to the Cannes Film Festival, and she told me that in tennis, the fans are cool :) comparing to the cinema, people are more hysterical. Some persons spend their life following their actors and don't think of their own life.

When I start to follow the carrier of a player, it's not for one year only, most of the time, it's for the whole carrier, that's why I don't follow seriously many players (only 3), but these 3 players will always have all my faithfulness :hug:

A french singer (Pascal Obispo) sings a song : "Fan", very interesting, if you understand French, when you are a fan/supporter, you can think it's you.

Gigan
11-21-2005, 10:17 PM
"fan"?

yeha, for me also it means - a "supporter"

For me "fan" is real "fan" if he does not hide the "player"
whom he suports :)

lot of "fans" are not real "fans" (they are "jumpers", or...):
they even afraid to say the name of favorite "player",
or show their pix...especially those "fans" that posted more
than 4000 - 15000 times ;) but did not show never whom they "fuckin" support...

If their "player" will loose tomorrow (like federer yesterday...)
what they will do? ;)

Sparko1030
11-21-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't like the word "fan", it's like "fanatic", I would prefer "supporter".

For me, a fan or a supporter is someone who is supporting his/her player in bad and good moments, who suffers with his/her player during the match, who is objective (even if it's not always easy to be) when the player didn't play well, or when he didn't behave like he should.

The players are not saints. I meet each year a fan of Thomas Enqvist, and at the last Roland-Garros, we were a couple of supporters watching his 1st round. I think I saw the worst match of Thomas LIVE. For me, that day, he didn't respect the audience, first he arrived late (it's ok, but he's not like that in general), second, because he gave the match and he didn't fight. When I came back at home, I surfed on my website (dedicated to Enqvist), and that fan wrote : "Thomas lost but he played a great match", and with another person who was there with me, we said "how can you say that he played a great match ? He played the worst match of his life in Roland-Garros. Ok, he's our number 1 player, but you have to admit that he played very bad and that he didn't respect the persons who attended to his match". Well, he can be in a bad day but that day, Thomas didn't want to play. I wonder why he played. Then, she realised that she was a bit blind. But, this person, is very young, and I think she saw him like a :angel:

At the moment, he's ranked number 154 at the ATP Entry system and we are still a few to support him. I think he knows that we are still behind him because in the tournaments (mainly in France), he recognises us and waved us. Last year, he thanked us personally for our support, he knows the website, it's great :) He knows that some "fans" stopped to follow him because of his poor results. Like someone said (I think it's Rosie), players know who are their true fans. I started to follow his career in 1991 and I'm still there, I hope I'll have the opportunity to see LIVE his last match on the ATP Tour.

Then, as I said, i don't like the word "fan", for me it's like fanatic, especially when i see girls crying when they saw their player. It happened this year at the MS Paris-Bercy. For me, it's not only supporting a player, it's more than that !! You have persons who are totally mad about a player, or in love. They are disconnected from reality.

The friend who often comes with me in the tournaments, knows very well the world of cinema, she often goes to the Cannes Film Festival, and she told me that in tennis, the fans are cool :) comparing to the cinema, people are more hysterical. Some persons spend their life following their actors and don't think of their own life.

When I start to follow the carrier of a player, it's not for one year only, most of the time, it's for the whole carrier, that's why I don't follow seriously many players (only 3), but these 3 players will always have all my faithfulness :hug:

A french singer (Pascal Obispo) sings a song : "Fan", very interesting, if you understand French, when you are a fan/supporter, you can think it's you.

Val-you are most wise!!! :worship:

Gigan
11-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Val-you are most wise!!! :worship:

why you copy complete huge "article" ?
"fan", it is already posted :)

but may be it is a good idea: i will copy my too>
"fan"?

yeha, for me also it means - a "supporter"

whom he suports

than 4000 - 15000 times but did not show never whom they "fuckin" support...

If their "player" will loose tomorrow (like federer yesterday...)
what they will do?

+alonso
11-22-2005, 01:42 AM
I mostly agree with Enqvistfan
I prefer the word "supporter". I think Fan (it comes from Fanatic) sounds very tought.. For me a Fanatic it's a person who get upset when a fave lose and that's wrong. Supporter sounds very natural! and way too better, The words "supporters" sound natural and much better and is someone who is capable of give his best in a good or bad moments and should have the capacity of being comprehensive at the bad moments. Like Val said once. ("I saw Feña but i didn't talk to him because i didn't want to bother him .maybe tomorrow" ) and that's what i call a real "supporter".
When you're a real supporter you'll always find the way to understand your fave.

mandoura
11-22-2005, 05:24 AM
Contrary to others beliefs- I have never ever placed a player on a pedestal. I am sorry if I offend but no one other than my family would ever be put there.

Their is no offense in that. It is true for me too. :)

Players are human beings absolutely but their treatment of fans, and other human beings should not go unnoticed when it is abusive. I don't care who or what they are. And sometimes all it takes is an apology.

Everyone's attitude is questionable/accountable. A true fan/supporter/friend will do that. An apology, in general, when due could make a world of difference.

There are no victims here. There is just the game of tennis and the joy it brings in watching, period. Whomever is playing. And before anyone responds may I just set the record straight- I would never "bother" a player. That would be unacceptable and lies/insinuations don't mean truth.

Absolutely, TENNIS. I know that some fans are plain annoying but this, as you said, is unacceptable. A fan should by all means respect his favorite and his private life/time. And it should be mutual, a player should also respect his fans as much as he can. It's a two-way stream.

Val: The word supporter is much better, you're right. :)

nermo
11-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I mostly agree with Enqvistfan
I prefer the word "supporter". I think Fan (it comes from Fanatic) sounds very tought.. For me a Fanatic it's a person who get upset when a fave lose and that's wrong. Supporter sounds very natural! and way too better, The words "supporters" sound natural and much better and is someone who is capable of give his best in a good or bad moments and should have the capacity of being comprehensive at the bad moments. Like Val said once. ("I saw Feña but i didn't talk to him because i didn't want to bother him .maybe tomorrow" ) and that's what i call a real "supporter".
When you're a real supporter you'll always find the way to understand your fave. posted by Lt* alonso *cl
:yeah: exactly my thoughts and i think i 'll behave exactly the same way as VAL.

enqvistfan
11-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Like Val said once. ("I saw Feña but i didn't talk to him because i didn't want to bother him .maybe tomorrow" ) and that's what i call a real "supporter".
When you're a real supporter you'll always find the way to understand your fave.

Thanks Alonso :hug:
Yes, sometimes, there are moments when you know that you can't bother one of your favourite player, just because it's not the moment. I always tried to do like that.

Angle Queen
11-22-2005, 02:12 PM
whom he suports :)

than 4000 - 15000 times ;) but did not show never whom they :tape: support...my edit for language

Are you referring to posters in this thread? I didn't think its purpose was to explain who or why you're a fan/supporter of a particular player...just what it meant to be one. And I, for one, don't like SHOUTING out who they are...I rarely use an avie at all and my simple signature was selected to reinforce my nic. But it's no secret. For the record then, my favs are Henman, Hewitt, Roddick and Mirnyi. If you're really curious, there's even a thread most regular posters contributed to....

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=41773

Gigan
11-22-2005, 03:11 PM
my edit for language

Are you referring to posters in this thread? I didn't think its purpose was to explain who or why you're a fan/supporter of a particular player...just what it meant to be one. And I, for one, don't like SHOUTING out who they are...I rarely use an avie at all and my simple signature was selected to reinforce my nic. But it's no secret. For the record then, my favs are Henman, Hewitt, Roddick and Mirnyi. If you're really curious, there's even a thread most regular posters contributed to....

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=41773

take it easy, i'm reffering not only to this thread... ;)

Angle Queen
11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
take it easy, i'm reffering not only to this thread... ;)No harm, no foul then. :)

Gigan
11-22-2005, 03:38 PM
No harm, no foul then. :)
yes, don't do it again...

mrpotatoman
11-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Thank you to those who took the time to post an answer to my question. It seems for some we have a short answer and for others a long one. And I have taken the liberty of reading posts elsewhere by you all to see if your definition of fan as it applies to you is applicable. Player threads, blogs and even match reports have given insight into who posts and what gets posted.
And only one poster here actually called themself a "fanatic" although that may have been tongue in cheek; I do not know. And some posters are the comedians of the thread as well.

From other posts I saw much highs and lows; much sad smilies when the player lost and estatic smilies when the player won. Much emotion either way sometimes extreme based on what was posted. So I think some of you are much more than fans afterall.

MTF appears to be a community in a big sense. Where attitudes are like tribes( I even saw a thread based on Survivor) . The players are the chiefs, the members are their support system of each other as well as the player, and there are many who play the police and/or the henchman when the player's honor etc is attacked. All this for a game of tennis; a sport for entertainment. But is it always fun? And why do some take it so seriously? At a cost it seems to me.

So thanks again for the insight and observations. Cheers.