Amelie and David : 2005 slamless masters. Is this the boost they need? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Amelie and David : 2005 slamless masters. Is this the boost they need?

alfonsojose
11-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Who is closer to the first GS?

Federerthebest
11-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Nalbandian still will not win a slam until he improves that serve. A one-off five set match, the serve is good enough to get him the win. Seven five-set matches in a row, he needs to get more free points off the serve. This TMC win doesn't change that.

lucashg
11-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I hope so, especially in Amelie's case. She has a much better career than Nalbandian, and deserves that one slam, but my favorites Justine and Kim won't give her an easy time, nor will the Williams and Davenport - she owns the russians and can beat Pierce, Schnyder and most of the young guns. I hope she wins the FO or Wimbledon soon, or even the AO.

Nalbandian has about the same number of rivals that will be on his way to win a slam, but he hasn't showed he can beat them on a regular basis recently (except Roger today - well, he is THE ONE to beat, but still he would either have to face Hewitt, Nadal, Roddick, Safin or Agassi then). He has a better chance to win the hardcourt slams, but I still think his are worse than Amelie's.

mrpotatoman
11-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Excellent thread alfonso! I watched the WTA match and thought that for the first time in forever I think, Amelie actually kept her wits about her and her demons at bay. She has a great tennis game and I so hope that winning the end of year turns itself into where SHE actually recognizes that she is a winner!!!

I don't know about Nalby- Federer seemed off today but I would like to think that Nalby who always comes so close but never does it will also now have faith in himself. This is just a good thing for men's tennis when one player doesn't dominate.

sigmagirl91
11-20-2005, 01:54 PM
I think this will boost Nabs's career. He needs it.

Lleytonisthebest
11-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Nalby will do it at the AO one of the next years

jenanun
11-20-2005, 01:59 PM
this win boosts nabs confidence a lot that he can beat fed in the final...beautifully.
i would like to see him with a slam next year...

amelie is a consistent player and she deserve a slam, and she better does that next 2 year as she will be pushing 30 soon

pinky
11-20-2005, 02:56 PM
I think Daveed has a better chance than Amelie but i still think the chance of them both going slamless is bigger...
I have nothing against Amelie at all, but to me, her win at the master as well as her no 1 spot were quite lucky.
On the other hand, i think David's win has not much to do with luck, he played great the whole week and even with all the missing players he would have had a good chance :) Now, for a grandslam, it always seemed that 7 3-setters were a bit too much for him... but it was also the case with Federer a few years ago, so there are hopes ;)

silverwhite
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm really happy for the pair of them! They were due for a big title and they did it! Hopefully, the wins will push them to something even bigger. :bounce:

willrock
11-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Amelie has heaps better chances than David IMO, which is not really objective I admit... :rolleyes:
Go Amelie!

howardean
11-21-2005, 01:11 AM
I think Daveed has a better chance than Amelie but i still think the chance of them both going slamless is bigger...
I have nothing against Amelie at all, but to me, her win at the master as well as her no 1 spot were quite lucky.
On the other hand, i think David's win has not much to do with luck, he played great the whole week and even with all the missing players he would have had a good chance :) Now, for a grandslam, it always seemed that 7 3-setters were a bit too much for him... but it was also the case with Federer a few years ago, so there are hopes ;)

amélie beat the number 2, 3, 5, and 9 (?) players in the world, while david beat 1 (which does count for A LOT), 6, 7 and 8. i don't think it's fair to call amélie's win lucky and david's legitimate, because both faced very tough competition despite depleted fields.

howardean
11-21-2005, 01:13 AM
it's also weird that they both beat players who had beaten them in the round robin in the final

Flibbertigibbet
11-21-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm rooting for Amelie to win the French or Wimbledon next year, and I think it'd be good if Nalbandian won a Slam in the next couple of years as well. Probably he has a good chance at any surface, though I'm thinking Australia and the US are the most likely spots for victory.

Aerien
11-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Well, both have one Grand Slam final to their names which they lost in straight sets but a YEC title.

Both have a lot to prove next year. I find Amelie's chances at the AO greater than David's though.

Congratulations nonetheless for both of them. :)

ReturnWinner
11-21-2005, 01:22 AM
do not forget David has been a grand slam finalist, i think amalie has one etoo
besides he was semifinalist in roland garros (where he played injured with a serious rib injury) and semifinalist in the usopen where he was leading two sets to 0 and even had a mp against roddick( he had two injuries in that match)

alfonsojose
11-21-2005, 02:30 AM
Amelie has way more titles than David and she has been no. 1, so i think she's a bit closer to a GS (obviosuly not RG, her first one won't be in Paris, the pressure is carzy fro her). BTW, I was really surprised about Nalbandian "lack of motivation" comment :cuckoo:

Fedex
11-21-2005, 02:33 AM
I think this will be, yes. The good thing is, they are both all surface players, so they can contend at all of the majors.

monicain
11-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Congrats to their biggest careeer titles, but I don't think they are dominant enough. Look at the 2005 Slam winners and how they dominated their respective seasons leading to their slam:

On clay Justine was 24-0. Nadal 34-0.
On grass Venus was 7-0. Federer 12-0.
On hard Kim was 44-2. Federer was 40-1.
Nalbandian? 21-10 on hard, 8-3 on clay, 4-2 on grass. He wins only 50% on every surfaces. Never get beyond QFs, mostly no more than 4th round, at every outdoor GSs and TMSs. How can he win slam then??? TMC field lost bunches of top players, Roddick, Hewitt, Agassi, Safin, Nadal, to name a few, and in case he's going to win one, he must beat them, not just Federer. Unless he skyrockets his form like Safin did earlier this year, which is quite rare, amazing, and so safin-esque, he won't even reach any slam final. Well, maybe if they all withdraw like the way they did here in Shanghai, he'd stand a chance. Let me remind you one thing: Tim Henman holds a head-to-head records over Federer for years, even on grass and carpet, but that didn't put him in any slam finals so far :sad:

Mauresmo has a far better results overall. I wish she would win one, hopefully. But she knows as much as we all know, that there are names like Serena, Venus, Justine, Kim, Davenport, Sharapova in the WTA field these days along with those players who can do damages on any given days. So it's not easy.

lucashg
11-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Amelie has way more titles than David and she has been no. 1, so i think she's a bit closer to a GS (obviosuly not RG, her first one won't be in Paris, the pressure is carzy fro her). BTW, I was really surprised about Nalbandian "lack of motivation" comment :cuckoo:

Oh, isn't that funny? Amelie complained about the same thing when she was in a mini-slump post-USO with losses in Fed Cup, Moscow and Zurich. Then she withdrew from Linz, and won Philadelphia and the YEC. :lol:

Both also choked at the end of their matches, but still won! :D

I agree that her first slam can't possibly be RG duo to all the pressure the French media and she put on herself. She has a NICE shot at Wimbledon. She's been a semifinalist for the past two years and was close both times to take out Serena and Davenport. If she had faced Maria in the SF, she would've won (she's 2-0 against Maria :p), and IMO she could've beaten Venus.

amélie beat the number 2, 3, 5, and 9 (?) players in the world, while david beat 1 (which does count for A LOT), 6, 7 and 8. i don't think it's fair to call amélie's win lucky and david's legitimate, because both faced very tough competition despite depleted fields.

I agree with this. :yeah:

mandoura
11-21-2005, 07:23 AM
I'm really happy for the pair of them! They were due for a big title and they did it! Hopefully, the wins will push them to something even bigger. :bounce:

Exactly how I feel.

BTW SW, I am tired of you posting what I feel before me. ;) :lol: :hug:

silverwhite
11-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Exactly how I feel.

BTW SW, I am tired of you posting what I feel before me. ;) :lol: :hug:

Sorry! :hug:

mandoura
11-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Sorry! :hug:

Oh sweety please don't. I am amazed at how we think alike on many things. :lol: :hug:

Ti-Anne
11-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Congrats to their biggest careeer titles, but I don't think they are dominant enough. Look at the 2005 Slam winners and how they dominated their respective seasons leading to their slam:

On clay Justine was 24-0. Nadal 34-0.
On grass Venus was 7-0. Federer 12-0.
On hard Kim was 44-2. Federer was 40-1.
Nalbandian? 21-10 on hard, 8-3 on clay, 4-2 on grass. He wins only 50% on every surfaces. Never get beyond QFs, mostly no more than 4th round, at every outdoor GSs and TMSs. How can he win slam then??? TMC field lost bunches of top players, Roddick, Hewitt, Agassi, Safin, Nadal, to name a few, and in case he's going to win one, he must beat them, not just Federer. Unless he skyrockets his form like Safin did earlier this year, which is quite rare, amazing, and so safin-esque, he won't even reach any slam final. Well, maybe if they all withdraw like the way they did here in Shanghai, he'd stand a chance. Let me remind you one thing: Tim Henman holds a head-to-head records over Federer for years, even on grass and carpet, but that didn't put him in any slam finals so far :sad:

Mauresmo has a far better results overall. I wish she would win one, hopefully. But she knows as much as we all know, that there are names like Serena, Venus, Justine, Kim, Davenport, Sharapova in the WTA field these days along with those players who can do damages on any given days. So it's not easy.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there...Even if David didn't win as many titles as he deserved so far, he's achieved great things ! You say he's never getting to the slams and TMS finals or SFs, that's not true : not mentionning Wimby, he was in the SFs in RG last year, and he reached Madrid final too, and maybe he didn't get farther thans QFs in other events, but at least he was in all 4 GS QFs last year too !
As for trying to devaluate his performance in Shangai, just remember that the only way he was favoured by the pulling outs is getting into the draw, for he was in the toughest group from the beginning, all the players he beat were ranked ahead of him and...need I remind you he JUST beat Fedex in the final, playing what's probably one of the most beautiful match ever ? :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
01-28-2006, 04:11 AM
Amelie :yeah: :bounce:
David :rolleyes: :sad:

*julie*
01-28-2006, 04:17 AM

Maybe one day his day will come and he will be lucky too.

I can't believe Amélie has just won her first slam without any matchpoints in the semi and final. :rolleyes:

Fedex
01-28-2006, 04:18 AM
I am so pissed of that Henin Hardenne retired from this match. It's really not fair to Mauresmo.

LoveFifteen
01-28-2006, 04:19 AM
Yeah, I used to have trouble liking Henin-Hardenne, but now she's made it really easy for me to HATE her. I can't believe she wouldn't just tough it out for Amelie's sake. Damn, if anyone deserves that respect, it's Amelie.

PaulieM
01-28-2006, 04:21 AM
amelie :yippee:
justine :rolleyes: she's constantly giving me new reasons to dislike her.

athina7
01-28-2006, 04:21 AM
I am so pissed of that Henin Hardenne retired from this match. It's really not fair to Mauresmo.
I agree. It sucks the way that ended. I can't believe she couldn't tough it out for a few more games :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
01-28-2006, 04:23 AM
Juju :ras:

+alonso
01-28-2006, 04:27 AM
I'm so happy for Amelie :woohoo: So sad She could not celebrate the way she wanted.
I was soo happy when I saw her in tears, Saying like.. Finally I did it!

:worship:

robinhood
That was very low of JHH, and she couldn't give enough credit to Amelie during the acceptance speech.
What a lame excuse to pull out of a Grand Slam Championship match!
Doesn't matter you were about to get bagled. Got to finish the match!!
Geez.
I'm so pissed.
But Amelie deserves all the credit in the world.
She's come a long way, and she should enjoy the title as much as any winner would.

By the way, am I having a double vision, or is that actually a doubles match being aired on ESPN?

*julie*
I agree. It sucks the way that ended. I can't believe she couldn't tough it out for a few more games :rolleyes:

The commentators were like "that might be so frustrating for Justine... We are deeply sorry for her etc..." while she was crying.

Btw, what did she suffer from?

World Beater
01-28-2006, 04:28 AM
it looked a bit lame. justine won one of the toughest pts in the match, and decides to retire. she didnt look that bad. she should have tried to maybe go for broke and give it a few games at least.

whatever. amelie couldnt appropriately celebrate.

Racket88
01-28-2006, 04:29 AM
I've never liked Henin and I never will. She retired because of an upset stomach :rolleyes:

athina7
01-28-2006, 04:36 AM
The commentators were like "that might be so frustrating for Justine... We are deeply sorry for her etc..." while she was crying.
I felt sorry for Mauresmo for not celebrating her 1st slam properly. I don't feel the least bit sorry for JHH. Maybe I would, if she had at least tried to complete the match.

Liverpool4ever
01-28-2006, 04:41 AM
Justine used to be my favourite female player, but I am shocked and appalled by her behaviour. I seriously doubt that staying on the court those extra ten mintues would have done a huge amount of harm. She tarnished the greatest moment in Mauresomo's career, because she did not want to recieve a bagel in the final. Very classless.

mandoura
01-28-2006, 04:51 AM
Justine is such a .... :fiery:

I am so happy for Momo even if her moment was robbed from her. She is such a sweet and decent person.

LoveFifteen
01-28-2006, 04:52 AM
totally agree

Fedex
01-28-2006, 05:02 AM
I felt sorry for Mauresmo for not celebrating her 1st slam properly. I don't feel the least bit sorry for JHH. Maybe I would, if she had at least tried to complete the match.
True, not to mention her lame post match comments. You know I was a fan of Justine, but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

athina7
01-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Did you see her post-match interview? She gave no credit whatsoever to Mauresmo. When they asked her if she thought Mauresmo was playing well she was like "I had no power on my shots, and she had so much time that its hard to make errors". Give me a break :rolleyes:

NYCtennisfan
01-28-2006, 05:14 AM
I liked to watch JHH play and see that competitive spirit along with a beautiful BH. But this...this is not right. If she had rolled her ankle or popped her wrist or something, I can understand.

MissMoJo
01-28-2006, 05:39 AM
Justine's coach had been saying how she hadn't felt this healthy in years, now all of sudden when she's getting beaten badly all types of injuries, and illness come out of nowhere:bs: I'm very happy for amelie, luckily from her post match interview it seems she's not letting jhh's classless behavior ruin her moment. Good on her

Hola Mr. SK
01-28-2006, 05:46 AM
I don't know what happened to Justine, seems she had an inside injury. certainly she should retire if she could not stand the pain or it wud make her feel worse when playin. Its really a dilemma for her to make such a decision.I totally feel for her.
anyways, Amelie really deserves the title.she was doing great during the AO.Its time for her to win.:yeah:
and I still believe Nalby can gain at least one GS title. Its also a matter of time. :angel:

PaulieM
01-28-2006, 06:07 AM
the most ironic moment was watching amelie console justine. :rolleyes:
amelie was classy in her post match interview. and i think she said it all when she said she was willing to die out on court today. :)

rogerfan4eva
01-28-2006, 06:11 AM
I couldn't stand JHH before this final and I can't stand her now afterwards. What she did was inexcusable. To rob Amelie of a proper celebration after winning her first grand slam. Every tennis player wants to be able to experience winning championship point, their first grand slam and now Amelie won't be able to feel that. Upset stomach? Are you kidding me? An absolute disgrace.

Amelie > Justine in every way

robinhood
01-28-2006, 06:56 AM
I don't know what happened to Justine, seems she had an inside injury. certainly she should retire if she could not stand the pain or it wud make her feel worse when playin. Its really a dilemma for her to make such a decision.I totally feel for her.

A dilemma?
No. Not in this case.
Retiring from any match should be a last resort for pro players, let alone Grand Slam Finals, for goodness' sakes.
(ex. Agassi at French Open 1st round last year)

Henin is one of the best players in the world, and if she felt even a tiny bit of responsibility as a top player to give something back to the crowd who had cheered her on for two weeks, she would've continued on til she vomitted on the court.
If she gave rat's ass about Mauresmo and her chance for the first slam title, she would've continued on.
She said she knew that there was no way she could win today.
If she really did, she could've just stayed on court and not done much til the match point.

This was really a career defining moment for HH.
And to top it all, what disgraceful post match comments.
Doesn't matter how many more slams she wins in her career,
she will always be the girl that f--ked up Mauresmo's championship.

World Beater
01-28-2006, 06:58 AM
Did you see her post-match interview? She gave no credit whatsoever to Mauresmo. When they asked her if she thought Mauresmo was playing well she was like "I had no power on my shots, and she had so much time that its hard to make errors". Give me a break :rolleyes:

yeah, totally moronic..

but she isnt the first on the women's tour to make excuses.

everyone from serena to martina hingis has made similar comments in their careers.

buddyholly
01-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Btw, what did she suffer from?

I thought everyone knew that she has an untreatable disease that causes her energy level to drop to dangerously low levels. That is why she does not play a full schedule.
So, before everyone jumps on her for quitting, they should perhaps give her a chance to explain. I think that is why she did not receive any treatment from the trainer or doctor. It was because they understood the problem and there was nothing that could be done on court.

silverwhite
01-28-2006, 07:31 AM
She has said that it had nothing to do with the virus that kept her out of the game in 2004.

robinhood
01-28-2006, 07:31 AM
It had nothing to do with the virus she had in 2004.
She ate some bad shrimp, or so I've read.

hablovah19
01-28-2006, 08:07 AM
I have to say I've lost all respect for Justine :shrug:

Momo was robbed of a very special moment and never got to celebrate as she should have ...

She was totally dominating Justine!!!!! well done :yeah:

almouchie
01-28-2006, 08:19 AM
David is a truly talented player not to in a major
his upset of federer in last year's master gives him a lot of confidence that he can challenge & win majors
He has been consistent on all services & has reached the semis on all 4 grand slams
so he is no fluke yet he hasnt won many titles & that could change in the future
Amelie is in the top 5 or 8 in the world on form & no a good fortnight just might sneak thru & get her chance. she clearly did that by winning the AO this year.

lalaland
01-28-2006, 08:34 AM
I have to say I've lost all respect for Justine :shrug:

Momo was robbed of a very special moment and never got to celebrate as she should have ...

She was totally dominating Justine!!!!! well done :yeah:

Me too. What JHH did, is a 100 times worse than the bad boy Kiefer. She has no respect for other players. To Serena, I can understand, some can't stand Serena for what she is. But to Kim? To Amelie? The nicest girls on tour.
That's just low.

buddyholly
01-28-2006, 12:12 PM
A dilemma?
No. Not in this case.
Retiring from any match should be a last resort for pro players, let alone Grand Slam Finals, for goodness' sakes.
(ex. Agassi at French Open 1st round last year)

Henin is one of the best players in the world, and if she felt even a tiny bit of responsibility as a top player to give something back to the crowd who had cheered her on for two weeks, she would've continued on til she vomitted on the court.

So by your standards Krajicek should have played on with an ice pack on her head and Clijsters should have called for crutches and continued to hobble around the court?

bluesky_rachel
01-28-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm really happy for Amelie too!There were tears in my eyes when I saw her winning the AO.:)She really deserved to win.

As for David:Good luck.your time will come soon!

Winston's Human
01-28-2006, 01:00 PM
So by your standards Krajicek should have played on with an ice pack on her head and Clijsters should have called for crutches and continued to hobble around the court?

There is a difference between retiring in the third round (like Krajicek) rather than the finals.

Also, there is a difference between an ankle so twisted you cannot walk rather than an upset stomach which prevents you from playing at 100%.

Fedex
01-28-2006, 08:15 PM
amelie was classy in her post match interview. and i think she said it all when she said she was willing to die out on court today. :)
Justine should of been the one consoling Mauresmo. I just feel very strongly on this subject. You dont quit a slam final, unless you roll your ankle or something, like Clijsters. And then to not even give her any credit in the post match interview. That's very low of her, and certain people can think what they want, but Mauresmo won this title.

Fedex
01-28-2006, 08:19 PM
I

Well lets just hope the Mauremso will win more slams, so this doesn't end up being her only slam win.

richard gasquet
01-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Well lets just hope the Mauremso will win more slams, so this doesn't end up being her only slam win.

and play this bitchy girl JHH :mad:

Congrats Amélie though :worship: ,even if henin was fit she would have won that match either,she was playing so well :angel:

hablovah19
01-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Yes, either at RG or Wimbledon ;)

mandoura
01-29-2006, 01:12 AM

Amélie outplayed and outclassed Justine in that match. She showed the real stuff champions should be made of, not just game but character.

I was so much infuriated by Justine's post match interview :fiery: .

<<"It's great for her. She was waiting for that for such a long time, and it's finally coming out, very strange way, Kim (Clijsters) and me," Henin-Hardenne said. "But I'm sure it will give her a lot of confidence. She worked very hard so she deserved that.">>

What is she implying :eek: ? What does she mean by "But"? I think that was really petty. :mad:

Fedex
01-29-2006, 01:13 AM
RG will be tough. The high bounces suit her game, but she has always collapsed under the immense pressure to win her home slam. She has a great shot at Wimbledon, though. She has always played well there,and I think the grass is her best surface.

buddyholly
01-29-2006, 01:15 AM
There is a difference between retiring in the third round (like Krajicek) rather than the finals.

I'm afraid I don't see it.

jeanie_sin
01-29-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm afraid I don't see it.

in a GS final, you fight till u die. not that hard to understand :rolleyes:

Rebound Ace
01-29-2006, 03:03 AM
Nalbandian is overdue for another final at least.

Is not in the top four best players in the world now (Safin and Nadal are the others besides Federer) and has his best chance from now.

alfonsojose
04-21-2006, 04:49 PM
David :sad: :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
06-08-2006, 04:42 PM
David, another shot. Don't waste it :fiery:

Raquel
07-09-2006, 12:50 AM
;) Allez Amelie

Well I think that YEC win has really helped Amelie. It was a tough 3 setter and today when it got to a third set she knew she could do it.

As for David, well at least there's no World Cup for 4 more years :p

bluesky_rachel
07-09-2006, 11:07 AM
;) Allez Amelie

Well I think that YEC win has really helped Amelie. It was a tough 3 setter and today when it got to a third set she knew she could do it.

As for David, well at least there's no World Cup for 4 more years :p

:lol:

David,i really hope you will win a grand slam one day,like Amelie did.

alfonsojose
04-20-2007, 09:28 PM
He needs a burger :tape:

Metis
04-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Amelie did it at 26-27. Nalby is still too young. :D

Tzar
04-20-2007, 11:52 PM
hope so