Davydenko named Russia's best [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davydenko named Russia's best

DrJules
11-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Sharapova, Davydenko named Russia's best

November 19, 2005 20:24 IST

Maria Sharapova and Nikolay Davydenko have been named Russia's best players in 2005, the country's tennis federation announced at its annual award gala on Saturday.

This year, Florida-based Sharapova became the first Russian woman to take the world number one spot and she also reached semi-finals at the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in addition to winning three WTA singles titles.

The 18-year-old Sharapova, who finished the year as number four in the world, pipped Elena Dementieva as Russia's top female player while Ukraine-born Davydenko won the men's award ahead of Igor Andreev and Australian Open champion Marat Safin.

Dementieva led Russia to their second consecutive Fed Cup title by beating France in the final at Roland Garros.

She won both of her singles matches against Mary Pierce and Amelie Mauresmo before teaming up with Dinara Safina in the decisive doubles to clinch a thrilling 3-2 victory.

Davydenko has had the best year of his career.

The 24-year-old reached the semi-finals of a Grand Slam for the first time at Roland Garros and made the last four at the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai. He also led Russia to the Davis Cup semi-finals in the absence of the injured Safin.

Andreev won his first ATP titles this year, triumphing in Valencia, Palermo and Moscow, while Safin, troubled by a persistent knee injury, has had a largely disappointing season.

After winning his second Australian Open title in January, Safin has played only one tournament since Wimbledon, losing in the quarter-finals of the Cincinnati Masters Series in August.

Russia's Fed Cup side were voted the best team for the second year in a row.

Chloe le Bopper
11-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Good for Davydenko.

Tennis Fool
11-19-2005, 08:22 PM
:ras: That's nice for NickyD but did he beat Feds this year? Whoever does should be given top consideration.

*Ljubica*
11-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Congratulations Kolya :worship: He has had a fantastic year and deserves this award.

Spes
11-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Congrats Niko :hearts: But Maria :rolleyes: :o

ys
11-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Kolya over Marat? Sure.. Russia wins ATP Grand Slam titles every year.

Nicky2002
11-19-2005, 09:26 PM
NickyD :hearts:

Galaxystorm
11-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Congratulations for Davy and the american girl , sorry i meant the russian girl

tall_one
11-19-2005, 09:33 PM
i'm happy for Davydenko but since when has making the semis of a slam been better then winning a slam :o

Saumon
11-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I miss Marat :crying2:

Damita
11-19-2005, 09:46 PM
i'm happy for Davydenko but since when has making the semis of a slam been better then winning a slam :o:shrug:
good for him though, he had a great year

Scotso
11-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Nikolay :hearts:

vincayou
11-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Fantastic result. And he's not even russian.

Saumon
11-19-2005, 10:19 PM
technically he was born in the same country as the others :shrug:

Scotso
11-19-2005, 10:22 PM

He may have been born in Ukraine, but he's still Russian, no?

I mean, come on. Just because you're born in a country, it doesn't mean that that is your ethnicity. Last I checked, "American" wasn't an ethnicity. :p

|-Safin_Coria-|
11-19-2005, 10:23 PM
And he's not even russian.
:lol:
bah. they screwed Safin over

rofe
11-19-2005, 10:27 PM
i'm happy for Davydenko but since when has making the semis of a slam been better then winning a slam :o

They rewarded consistency and I agree with them. On the womens side, they should have gone with Elena but I guess celebrity status has its rewards.

Saumon
11-19-2005, 10:30 PM
He may have been born in Ukraine, but he's still Russian, no?

I mean, come on. Just because you're born in a country, it doesn't mean that that is your ethnicity. Last I checked, "American" wasn't an ethnicity. :p
and if you consider ethnicity, Safin isnt Russian either :shrug:

bad gambler
11-19-2005, 10:31 PM

:lol:

Nicky D :rocker:

alelysafina
11-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Yay For Kolya! :D

KoOlMaNsEaN
11-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Have to agree with them. Safin won a grand slam and did nothing after it, nikolay was the most consistent and um played the most events..

revolution
11-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Congratulations Kolya, if anyone questions this then it's pathetic, great year, well done!

bellascarlett
11-20-2005, 12:39 AM
They rewarded consistency and I agree with them. On the womens side, they should have gone with Elena but I guess celebrity status has its rewards.

Oh yeah coz Elena was more consistent than that media darling Maria Sharapova who just reached 3 slam semis and one quarters and became the first russian woman to ever reach number one...well i guess looking at elena's record, she is more consistent than maria... :rolleyes: :o

Golfnduck
11-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Way to go Davydenko :yeah:

Jimnik
11-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Congratulations for Davy and the american girl , sorry i meant the russian girlHe may have been born in Ukraine, but he's still Russian, no?A Ukrainian and an American, eh?

Grinder
11-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Oh yeah coz Elena was more consistent than that media darling Maria Sharapova who just reached 3 slam semis and one quarters and became the first russian woman to ever reach number one...well i guess looking at elena's record, she is more consistent than maria... :rolleyes: :o

That's exactly what I was thinking, Sharapova was far and above all the other Russians.

rofe
11-20-2005, 01:25 AM

Yeah I grouped them together but the reasons were slightly different. Elena seems to have done more for Russia in the Fed Cup than Maria and Elena has not been too shabby in the consistency department - 4th round in 3 majors and an SF in 1.

Just because your heart throb didn't get it - don't get angry at me. Get a grip - ok?

Leo
11-20-2005, 01:54 AM
Good choice. Nikolay is the most deserving and was by far the most dedicated. Marat's one peak tournament does not make him the best Russian for the entire season.

bellascarlett
11-20-2005, 01:55 AM
Just because your heart throb didn't get it - don't get angry at me. Get a grip - ok?

:haha: ohmygod where did i mention safin in my post??! haha and please that was what I was pointing out in your post. You mentioned consistency and I agree that was probably what led the russian tennis federation to pick davydenko over safin. Marat's year was about the AO and nothing else. But your consistency argument becomes weak when you mention that they should have chosen Elena Dementieva over Maria. Maria's 2005 results strongly indicate that she had a better year compared to Elena (and I am a fan of both women). I respect what Elena did for Russia in Fedcup and she is arguably the most patriotic of the Russian girls, but when you are talking about the BEST Russian of 2005, it is Maria hands down.

shotgun
11-20-2005, 02:00 AM
and if you consider ethnicity, Safin isnt Russian either :shrug:

And Tursunov lives in California since he was 11. So from the Russian DC team, only Youzhny and Andreev are truly russians. :)

Leo
11-20-2005, 02:00 AM

Safin: 27-11
Davydenko: 53-29

pigbaby
11-20-2005, 02:39 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

alelysafina
11-20-2005, 02:50 AM
And Tursunov lives in California since he was 11. So from the Russian DC team, only Youzhny and Andreev are truly russians. :)

Igor moved to spain when he was young to train, so that only leaves Mikhail :)