Who's that man that's always in Federer's box next to his Mirka? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who's that man that's always in Federer's box next to his Mirka?

champlingo
11-19-2005, 12:14 AM
I think I read somewhere that it's his practice partner. But he seems to be at all his big matches and certainly part of his entourage. Does any know if he's more than just a practice partner? A good friend maybe?

prima donna
11-19-2005, 12:16 AM
I hope that this thread doesn't go down the road I think it will.

Federerthebest
11-19-2005, 12:24 AM
It's his practice partner, I think he is employed by Roche actually

R.Federer
11-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Reto Stubli
a friend from Suisse
He practices with Roge. In the rain break of Wimbledon final 2004 when Roge famously went back to his coachless group, this was "the friend I sometimes practice with" who helped him to figure out what he was doing wrong and the match turned

TenHound
11-19-2005, 02:12 AM
I think it's Pavel (?Kovacs??), his trainer. Sometimes his friend & practice partner comes, but I think his trainer is always there. And now there's a Goddamn Agent, Mary Jo Fernandez's husband.

Dirk
11-19-2005, 04:33 AM
That is Mary Jo's hubby? Hey Ten he is doing Roger a great favor. I am sick of all the Andy and Maria ads when there is no Roger. He will change that. :)

idolwatcher1
11-19-2005, 04:57 AM
I have to admit, everytime they show Fed's box, I look to see what Mirka's wearing or what kind of mood she's in...

TenHound
11-19-2005, 05:19 AM
Dirk, I wouldn't call it a favor, but it's unfortunately prob. necessary now. I hate this commercialization bullshit. But w/emergence of RN as advertisers darling, Roger couldn't risk sitting back while RN had a slick firm making him the Image of Tennis. So, Professional Assistance was clearly in order to avert that. Guys name is Tony Godsick(sp?). But I don't think that's who people are talking about - he's in a suit & just showed up in China - arrangement wasn't made til post NYC. Pavel's a big heavy guy who wouldn't be caught dead in a suit.

I hope it guarantees all Roger's matches will be on espn. No more of that bullshit that came down @IW last yr. (Lucky Mary Jo - too bad it's not Mary Carillo's husband, as she properly appreciates him.)

Mrs. B
11-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Godsick is MaryJo Fernandez' husband? I actually saw them both in Roland Garros this year, a fan wanted to have a pic with MJ and Godsick took the pic. :lol: wouldn't remember him though.

But the guy being referred here is most probably Reto Staubli, (he looks a bit like Henman) he's Roger's hitting partner as well as his best friend. He actually works in a bank in Zürich.

R.Federer
11-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I think it's Pavel (?Kovacs??), his trainer. Sometimes his friend & practice partner comes, but I think his trainer is always there. And now there's a Goddamn Agent, Mary Jo Fernandez's husband.
I have not seen Pavel in Shanghai

For anyone wondering who these are: Pavel Kovacs is balding, very sweet faced, slightly "chubby" man, and he is Roge trainer from a long time
Reto Stubli is a very tall, lanky man, who is Roge's hitting partner/friend who "plays a little tennis"

EDIT to add picture of Pavel (he is the bald man in this picture, also in the picture are peter L., Roge mum, and mirka --mirka looking beautiful!)

nobama
11-19-2005, 12:52 PM
There is a guy from IMG who I've seen next to her this week. He was at Davis Cup too.

amierin
11-19-2005, 01:08 PM
I hope it guarantees all Roger's matches will be on espn. No more of that bullshit that came down @IW last yr. (Lucky Mary Jo - too bad it's not Mary Carillo's husband, as she properly appreciates him.)

Not live. ESPN2 in the States is showing the semi's (Roger vs Gaston) at 11p EST in English. The final will be on at 3p EST. I'll be sitting at my computer early tomorrow.

nobama
11-19-2005, 01:26 PM
I have not seen Pavel in Shanghai

For anyone wondering who these are: Pavel Kovacs is balding, very sweet faced, slightly "chubby" man, and he is Roge trainer from a long time
Reto Stubli is a very tall, lanky man, who is Roge's hitting partner/friend who "plays a little tennis"

EDIT to add picture of Pavel (he is the bald man in this picture, also in the picture are peter L., Roge mum, and mirka --mirka looking beautiful!)Yes, Pavel has been there. One fan, Laura, who's been posting daily reports on Fed's website got to talk to him during practice one day.

R.Federer
11-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Yes, Pavel has been there. One fan, Laura, who's been posting daily reports on Fed's website got to talk to him during practice one day.
I have not seen Pavel in the box

nobama
11-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Fed's IMG "agent" is Tony Godsik, Mary Jo Fernandez's husband.