Is Davydenko, the new #5, the most underrated player on the tour? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Davydenko, the new #5, the most underrated player on the tour?

AlexNYR
11-16-2005, 09:47 PM
was just told that he is #5 right now ahead of agassi, but nobody seems to mention him with the rest of the elite players...forget his personality, in my opinion he has to be the most underrated player i've seen in ages

R.Federer
11-16-2005, 09:49 PM
davy who?

Just kidding! yes he is under rated for some reason. He is a solid, consistent player and a very nice player too.

mangoes
11-16-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't think I would say he is a top 5 player, but definitely a top 10 player. However, I may change my tune if he manages to beat Ljubicic. I like him a lot, but I think he has such a quiet personality that he slips off the radar at times.

Jimnik
11-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Without doubt. But I've been converted into a fan of his this year because he's such a great guy and he plays so well.

I remember seeing him play, for the first time, at the Australian Open against Henman in the 3rd round. I thought he was maybe having a good day but the guy has shown this year he has no weaknesses in his game. I understand that the reason he shot up the rankings so dramatically is that his serve use to be a weakness. But he sorted it out and, as a result, he's the complete package now.

Rogiman
11-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Saying he's probably the least accomplished player to have cracked the top 5 would be more accurate IMO, and this doesn't come from a hater.

I also wonder if there has ever been anyone in the top 5 with less ranking points.

Jimnik
11-16-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm sure there are many players whom, at there best, could beat him. But, the fact is, he's been very consistent this year and has earned his position through hard work. No-one could grudge him a top 5 place in the entry rankings.

Galaxystorm
11-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Some dumb journalists underrates him because of the fact that he isn't a charismatic player :silly: , a player needs to be good player not to be charismatic or not, they aren't cinema stars :silly:.

Although i think next year he will go down in the rankings

R.Federer
11-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Some dumb journalists underrates him because of the fact that he isn't a charismatic palyer :silly: , a player needs to be good player not to have charismatic or not, they aren't cinema stars :silly:

Roge also got this criticism from some people who thought he is boring and so on, when he first become #1 or won Wimbledon etc
Now of course, media is appreciating that he spends (wastes....) SO MUCH time with them

prima donna
11-16-2005, 10:04 PM
He's a bit of an enigma, maybe a question like this would be more appropriate a year from now, maybe he's a fluke or maybe he's a consistent hard-working player that will be in the Top 10 for years to come.

Galaxystorm
11-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I also wonder if there has ever been anyone in the top 5 with less ranking points.

Yeah , Agassi and only 10 days ago :lol:

http://stevegtennis.com/rankings/2005/s110705.htm

Davydenko's current points after his two wins in the TMC : 2290

Agassi's points 10 days ago : 2275

Rogiman
11-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah , Agassi and only 10 days ago :lol:

http://stevegtennis.com/rankings/2005/s110705.htm

Davydenko's current points after his two wins in the TMC : 2290

Agassi's points 10 days ago : 2275
Technically you're right, but I expected Agassi to get his total up to 2500 by the end of TMC.
For some reason that seems to me the minimal amount of points for a top-5 player to be considered a reasonable one.

Well, this whole season has been shared by two players, so I suppose the numbers of the others are just academic.

Scotso
11-16-2005, 10:20 PM
C'mon Nikolay! :D

shotgun
11-16-2005, 10:20 PM
:eek: Davydenko is a top 5 :eek:

DrJules
11-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Over the next 5 years he may actually rank ahead of Safin as the top Russian player. Safin is always likely to win more major titles, but Davydenko's superior consistency may result in him normally being higher ranked. What makes a better player - occasional brilliance (Safin) or steady play all year round (Davydenko).

Rogiman
11-16-2005, 10:26 PM
I never get it when people make predictions for 5 years.

Galaxystorm
11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
:eek: Davydenko is a top 5 :eek:

Right now he's virtually top 5 ... but Ljubo , Gaudio , Nalbandian and Gonzalez still have mathematical possibilities of being ahead of the 2290 points ( Davydenko's current points ) at the end of the week, so until next monday we can't assure Davydenko is a top 5

Cervantes
11-16-2005, 10:42 PM
No, he's not underrated, maybe overrated in this thread. Just look at his h2h with other top players this year and you'll see he hasn't beaten any of the big 5 (Federer, Nadal, Roddick, Hewitt, Safin). He's actually only beaten Coria at Roland Garros and Agassi in Shanghai (injured). So he's just lucky to have had such a good year, but next year he'll get back to where he belongs, between 12 and 20.

Every now and then a just above average player gets on a run for a year and finishes in the top 5. We've had Björkman, Kiefer and Schuettler and maybe a couple more, this year it's Davydenko.

Rogiman
11-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Every now and then a just above average player gets on a run for a year and finishes in the top 5. We've had Björkman, Kiefer and Schuettler and maybe a couple more, this year it's Davydenko.
Jiri Novak

adee-gee
11-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Jiri Novak
:yeah:

vincayou
11-16-2005, 11:52 PM
He's not underrated. Credit to him because he's one of the few player able to play on clay and fast surface with some success. But he will quickly come back out of the top 10 IMO. Between 10 and 20 is his right place.

drf716
11-17-2005, 02:04 AM
he is at least consistent with his level and i like him
injured players do not exist for the meantime

idolwatcher1
11-17-2005, 06:13 AM
One of the most undetected players on the tour, to rank as high as he is? Yes. One of the most underrated players?? Well, that depends on who is rating him...

Because Davy doesn't get a lot of attention, I am not familiar with who has been rating him during this season...I personally haven't underrated him, but that's because I don't typically underrate anyone...I am well aware that tennis is a sport where the unpredictable or unexpected can occur, even while many insist on placing expectations on players (expecting them to win or lose, succeed or not succeed)... And because I don't like to place expectations on players, I don't typically rate them one way or the other... :) Am I surprised Davydenko is nearing #5? Not really...I left that door open already...

Tennis_Passion
11-17-2005, 06:21 AM
Easy, win a slam first like other top 5 players, and see people will care.
But before that, maybe he should win a Master title or something....
Otherwise, he will always in Safin's shadow.

uNIVERSE mAN
11-17-2005, 06:32 AM
lost 30 times this season, hardly elite, he`s ranked 14th in winning % which should be about his real ranking.

mandoura
11-17-2005, 07:14 AM
I don't think I would say he is a top 5 player, but definitely a top 10 player. However, I may change my tune if he manages to beat Ljubicic. I like him a lot, but I think he has such a quiet personality that he slips off the radar at times.

My feeling exactly. If Nalby beats Ljubo today, we will have to wait for him beating Ljubo.

bad gambler
11-17-2005, 07:14 AM
:banana:

CooCooCachoo
11-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Yes, he is very underrated. This is basically because he's not got a flamboyant character or a very outspoken game. He's pure decency and he is great at what he does, though it does not look that impressive.

jole
11-17-2005, 08:14 AM
I find his strokes (specifically the way he times them, and seems to hit most balls so sweetly) and speed to be very impressive.

tall_one
11-17-2005, 09:02 AM
What makes a better player - occasional brilliance (Safin) or steady play all year round (Davydenko).
people remember slam winners, not steady players so if the basis of how we measure a players is by number of slams they have won then Marat is the better player.

lol man that was some good bs :p

tall_one
11-17-2005, 09:05 AM
lost 30 times this season, hardly elite, he`s ranked 14th in winning % which should be about his real ranking.
i imagine that winning % can be a very misleading stat in a few cases, if you don't mind, can you post the top 20 please

Melekhin
11-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Go Davy!!!

\just make yr work, and more ppl will hear abt you

At least now he is known to mre ppl than last year

DrJules
11-17-2005, 10:46 AM
people remember slam winners, not steady players so if the basis of how we measure a players is by number of slams they have won then Marat is the better player.

lol man that was some good bs :p

In terms of trophies Marat has had a very successful career already. 2 Grand Slams, 1 Davis Cup and 5 Master titles. Of active players only Federer and Agassi have more Grand Slams. Gustavo Kuerten has 3 but not playing full time at moment.

RogiFan88
11-17-2005, 02:22 PM
underrated by whom??

jacobhiggins
11-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Yeah he's underrated by a lot of people on these boards and a lot of the commentators, but he's playing really good tennis right now!!!

uNIVERSE mAN
11-17-2005, 02:35 PM
he's overrated.

ys
11-17-2005, 03:52 PM
he's overrated.

I agree.

revolution
11-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Overrated? Well he's now going to be world no 5 and hardly anyone talks about him, I mean he's not amazingly talented, but he has made the most of his abilities, unlike some frustratingly talented players (XM, PHM, AC)

sigmagirl91
11-17-2005, 04:55 PM
In my opinion, he's not "rated" at all.

NYCtennisfan
11-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Davydenko deserves his ranking but it is a stretch to call him underrated because most people would not rank him about a list of players in terms of tennis ability. We all know that natural ability doesn't always translate into points on the tour though.