2006 PAW ranking system poll [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2006 PAW ranking system poll

Cervantes
11-16-2005, 06:56 PM
In 2006 the PAW game returns better than ever and you get to decide which ranking system we’ll use:

1. An exact copy of the 2006 ATP Champions Race and Entry Ranking. This means 13 mandatory tournaments (Grand Slams and Masters Events) plus the best 5 optionals.

2. A system similar to the WTA tour, all tournaments are optional, best 18 count. This will also include both a race and an entry ranking, but no mandatory tournaments.

3. If you don't care about the ranking system, please vote option 3 or don't vote at all.

Just vote in the poll above. Voting closes Wednesday November 23 at 24h00 CET.

jrm
11-16-2005, 07:30 PM
This is a game and pretty much all players play every week so i suggest we should allow every result to be counted in our score ... if you play 40 tournaments, 40 tournaments go into your score! It makes the ranking much more easier to run!

NyGeL
11-16-2005, 08:00 PM
the Entry System will start with 2005 results, right?

Option 1 is like ATP Rankings? Entry Rank counts ALL tournaments and Champions Race counts GS + MS + TMC + best 5 results.

im right?

Cervantes
11-16-2005, 08:19 PM
the Entry System will start with 2005 results, right?

Option 1 is like ATP Rankings? Entry Rank counts ALL tournaments and Champions Race counts GS + MS + TMC + best 5 results.

im right?

Almost. Entry ranking is also GS + MS + TMC + best 5 results, but from the previous 52 weeks. Just like the real ATP Entry Ranking.

As for the previous post, that's not gonna happen, it's gonna be either 13 mandatory + 5 optionals or 18 optionals. We don't want to award people for playing all 40 tournaments.

jrm
11-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Whoever is responsible for the rankings will have hard time running it!

+alonso
11-17-2005, 01:32 AM
I want the 1st choise :p

kfh_9118
11-17-2005, 01:35 AM
I chose WTA system, but I wouldn't mind to have ATP system either.

One thing I think we need to review is the PAW ranking points we give out for winning the tournament. Nothing's wrong with the current ones, I just think that it's too big/too many points awarded.

dbnumberone
11-17-2005, 02:39 AM
thanks to everyone who made PAW happen this year, I had fun playing & appreciate the work that goes in - hats off to you all!

Peta Pan
11-17-2005, 06:12 AM
I totally don't understand the ATP system no matter how many times it's explained to me... and with PAW what do you mean by mandatory tournaments? Does that mean you HAVE to play all GS and TMS events?? Because AO is pretty much out for me.

Cervantes
11-17-2005, 06:35 AM
Whoever is responsible for the rankings will have hard time running it!

I'm responsible for the rankings and I've got everything covered... I hope ;)

I totally don't understand the ATP system no matter how many times it's explained to me... and with PAW what do you mean by mandatory tournaments? Does that mean you HAVE to play all GS and TMS events?? Because AO is pretty much out for me.

Yes mandatory means, these tournaments count even if you don't play 'm. So if you're unable to play the AO you'll score 0 points for this one.

Iza
11-17-2005, 06:39 AM
I picked the WTA cos I usually suck @ big events :p

Peta Pan
11-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Yes mandatory means, these tournaments count even if you don't play 'm. So if you're unable to play the AO you'll score 0 points for this one.
Yes, got that... just that mandatory kinda means compulsory so I was thinking maybe if you can't play one then suddenly you have no chance at all of making TMC because you are banished from it or something :p

I can handle 0 points for one tournament. I guess I may find a net cafe in the city while I'm there and MAY be able to scrape together some picks anyway.

Thanks for the clarification :)

christi
11-17-2005, 07:36 AM
So far, so good. 20-7 for ATP.

Action Jackson
11-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the PM Cervantes and I have registered my vote and hopefully this referendum result goes the same way as my vote.

Mara_M
11-17-2005, 11:08 AM
I picked the WTA cos I usually suck @ big events :p
and i voted to atp cuz i've done good in big events so far :D !

shotgun
11-17-2005, 11:10 AM
I have a suggestion. Why don't you guys limit the number of players of a tournament like the ATP does? I mean, I played in Madrid but there were almost 100 members playing it. It's really hard to earn a good amount of points when this happens. A TMS should have the number of PAW players limited to 48, or 64, or 96. A Grand Slam to 128, and so on. Then it could be the first 64 to commit, or the first 64 of the rankings (more complicated).

dani-fan Belgium
11-17-2005, 02:46 PM
i prefer the wta system :p

but i have nothing against the other system , it's just i don't know where i gonna prefer the best tier I or lower tier tournaments :lol:

tal20
11-17-2005, 02:52 PM
i think option 2 is the best

LaTenista
11-17-2005, 06:28 PM
I have a suggestion. Why don't you guys limit the number of players of a tournament like the ATP does? I mean, I played in Madrid but there were almost 100 members playing it. It's really hard to earn a good amount of points when this happens. A TMS should have the number of PAW players limited to 48, or 64, or 96. A Grand Slam to 128, and so on. Then it could be the first 64 to commit, or the first 64 of the rankings (more complicated).

It would be too hard because at pretty much all tournaments at least 2 or 3 committed players don't show up and often a day or two before a tournament players want to switch to a different event than the one they originally committed to play. The whole point of the GSs and TMSes are to be harder than the other tournaments, we try to keep PAW as close to the tour as we can, and if we made it easier by not letting everyone who wanted to play into an event it wouldn't be fun and would completely defeat the purpose of this game.

KoOlMaNsEaN
11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Option Numero Uno

Puschkin
11-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Thanks for contacting me. I voted for the ATP-format. My job involves travelling and I can't always find an internet cafe, so I prefer the option which gives more flexibility.

Midnight Express
11-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Copy of the 2006 ATP...I am traveling too ( form school to pub than home to pub ) but I am still thinkin' about The 2006 PAW's Newcomer of the year...I always want to be famous..

NyGeL
11-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Almost. Entry ranking is also GS + MS + TMC + best 5 results, but from the previous 52 weeks. Just like the real ATP Entry Ranking.

so, you mean that in December, everyone have same points (proportionaly) than Champions Race???

I thought that for Entry System all points counted, incluiding Challengers & futures, and thats why, for example, Rusedski played in Ukraine to be the best british player ranked.

keep_er_lit!
11-18-2005, 09:57 PM
I thought that for Entry System all points counted, incluiding Challengers & futures, and thats why, for example, Rusedski played in Ukraine to be the best british player ranked.

For entry ranking, all points count.

christi
11-19-2005, 02:02 AM
For entry ranking, all points count.

Yes, this is how it should be:

ATP Race: 4 GS + 9 MS + 5 best + MC; everyone starts from 0
ATP Entry: all results from the previous 52 weeks

If ATP Entry will also contain only the 18 tournaments (like ATP Race), at the end of the year we'll have two identical rankings.

Frank Winkler
11-20-2005, 05:46 AM
i dont like a system where only players that play every week all year have a chance to win. It just rewards quantity over quality.
Taking the 18 best would still give an advantage to players that play a lot. But it would definitely reflect quality of your play better.
under the present system only players that play all year every week really measure each other.
Under the best 18 system we would measure each other gainst a lot more players. It would be a tougher competion and more fun.

Action Jackson
11-20-2005, 05:49 AM
The thing is with the best 18, people don't have to play every week as there are enough tournaments to get their best 5 results.

The main 13 events should be worth more than the optionals, plus with the 5 optionals people can take a break during the season if they have other committments during the week.

SwissMister1
11-21-2005, 03:57 PM
The ATP system is fine with me.

Tennis Masters Cup doesn't count as one of the 18, correct? That is the way the ATP does it.

Cervantes
11-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Yes, TMC is extra 19th event for the qualified players.

Labamba
11-23-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm glad the ATP system is winning. :yeah: It will make the big events more important and exciting.

Cervantes
11-24-2005, 05:37 AM
Poll closed, thanks to everyone for voting. I think it's pretty clear the majority of the players want the ATP system.

scarecrows
12-06-2005, 07:40 PM
I picked the 2nd, coz for instance, I go abroad and I miss 2 MAsters or a GS. It's difficult then to catch up

scarecrows
12-06-2005, 07:41 PM
ha ha

I'm so late

Frank Winkler
01-14-2006, 07:42 PM
definitely do not count all the results its just quantity and it means very little.
count a certain number of best results anywhere between 15-30