ESPN Showing tennis at noon? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ESPN Showing tennis at noon?

tennyfan
11-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Has anyone heard an announcement from ESPN if they are starting the noon broadcast of tennis today late? I'm assuming maybe their schedule is just a bit behind if the Fed/Lju match ran over?

PaulieM
11-15-2005, 04:11 PM
they said they are showing an encore presentation of the fed vs. ljubo match. which of course i was pissed to hear after i woke up at 6am to watch it :(

tennyfan
11-15-2005, 04:12 PM
What? Grrrr.

naiwen
11-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Errr...

R.Federer
11-15-2005, 04:16 PM
I hardly slept last night!!!!

Oh well. Live coverage is better than rerun
But can't they show the david coria match instead??

naiwen
11-15-2005, 04:19 PM
I think they've given up Gold Group.

jmp
11-15-2005, 04:26 PM
they said they are showing an encore presentation of the fed vs. ljubo match. which of course i was pissed to hear after i woke up at 6am to watch it :(

Me, too. :mad:

mangoes
11-15-2005, 04:31 PM
It's starting now.

Margy
That's how I felt last night when the encore of the Agassi match came on again. :mad:
What's the point of showing the same match 2 times a day and not showing the other at all? (I'm assuming they didn't show Gaudio/Puerta at all since I turned it off after it seemed to be just a replay of the morning show).

Scotso
Boring :rolleyes:

ESPN sucks.

squirtkb97
11-15-2005, 04:34 PM
That's how I felt last night when the encore of the Agassi match came on again. :mad:
What's the point of showing the same match 2 times a day and not showing the other at all? (I'm assuming they didn't show Gaudio/Puerta at all since I turned it off after it seemed to be just a replay of the morning show).

They didn't show Gaudio/Puerta at all. They've barely made mention of the fact that the match took place.

I wish ESPN would realize that people might like to see someone other than Federer or Agassi, because I have no desire to watch this match again.

mangoes
11-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I think ESPN is also a bit screwed by all the pull outs. They sold advertising for certain player's matches, and now they don't have those players anymore. So, it is understandable, why they are repeating matches, even though solid tennis fans feel cheated. They're two sides to this coin.

LaTenista
11-15-2005, 05:12 PM
:shrug: When did it become acceptable to not show a match between a former RG champion and runner up?

I think instead of repeating the "airable" matches, ESPN ought to do segments on each of the 8 players plus the alternate (it is Ferrer now, right?) showing highlights of their year and short interviews.

case
11-15-2005, 05:18 PM

EXACTLY! And as another pointed out I wanted to see someone besides Federer too! ESPN is too busy showing old events and then show bowling, billiards_AND JUMP ROPING???? They also seem to have a problem with what exactly sports is- I play poker, but I still am not sure if it is a sport. I always thought it was a card game. :confused: I'm waiting for Pinochle to rear its ugly head next! Then we will also see three year old tournaments of Go Fish. :sad: Which brings me to what ESPN is really telling its audience-
GO FISH!!!

(and I don't mean bass fishing-wow that is exciting watching a guy sit in a boat!! :haha:

PaulieM
11-15-2005, 05:21 PM
EXACTLY! And as another pointed out I wanted to see someone besides Federer too! ESPN is too busy showing old events and then show bowling, billiards_AND JUMP ROPING???? They also seem to have a problem with what exactly sports is- I play poker, but I still am not sure if it is a sport. I always thought it was a card game. :confused: I'm waiting for Pinochle to rear its ugly head next! Then we will also see three year old tournaments of Go Fish. :sad: Which brings me to what ESPN is really telling its audience-
GO FISH!!!

(and I don't mean bass fishing-wow that is exciting watching a guy sit in a boat!! :haha:
jumping rope? wow that's a new one, i might just have to check out the action i'm sure it's nothing short of fascinating.

mangoes
11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
:shrug: When did it become acceptable to not show a match between a former RG champion and runner up?

When they are considering money and which player would draw more American viewers. I am not saying I'm happy with ESPN's coverage, but I recognize that their decisions have to do with money and I also realize that all these pull outs from Shanghai is also costing ESPN money.

Television is a money making business and there is a big difference between offering a match involving Nadal vs offering a match involving Gaudio as the main attraction. Nadal is the person making money for ESPN. When Nadal pulls out, who will make more money, Agassi or Gaudio? Agassi, hence a rerun.

NYCtennisfan
11-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Television is a money making business and there is a big difference between offering a match involving Nadal vs offering a match involving Gaudio as the main attraction. Nadal is the person making money for ESPN. When Nadal pulls out, who will make more money, Agassi or Gaudio? Agassi, hence a rerun.

It's too bad it all works out this way but this is the absolute truth. I can't really fault ESPN on this.

Scotso
11-15-2005, 07:39 PM
I was really mad last night that they didn't show Gaudio's ass.

soraya
11-16-2005, 12:13 AM
what a frustration! I was hoping espn will show the rerun of the fed/lubj match in the evening. I bet if there was an American playing they would have shown. ESPN is a joke and I hate their politcs. Well, I guess poker is more important than tennis in the US. YUCK!

RickDaStick
11-16-2005, 01:31 AM
I was really mad last night that they didn't show Gaudio's ass.

Wow

etiage
11-16-2005, 01:46 AM
i've been waiting to see gaudio for a while
pissed
understandable, but pissed