Thomas Johansson drafted for Shanghai [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Thomas Johansson drafted for Shanghai

wcr
11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
From Eurosport:

Tennis (http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s57/sport_lng0_spo57.shtml) 14:51
Masters Cup: Sweden's Thomas Johansson is drafted in by organisers as cover - from his home in Monte Carlo - after a spate of injuries.

Just another backup player or are we to expect another withdrawal?

artlinkletter
11-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Oh no. lol. If anything, it'll be Roger who withdraws.

LaTenista
11-15-2005, 05:16 PM
:scratch: I thought he already said he wasn't going to Shanghai as the alternate?

R.Federer
11-15-2005, 05:57 PM
:scratch: I thought he already said he wasn't going to Shanghai as the alternate?
I never saw that anywhere (not in any official place)
Yesterday when someone says Ferrer will be the alternative player, I mentioned that Tojo was ahead in line
Who wouldn't go? I mean, you get a free trip with a big paycheck just for showing up!!!! This paycheck for showing up is almost as good as winner's check in a decent tournament

Aleksa's Laydee
11-15-2005, 06:00 PM
yay go Thomas :bounce:

alfonsojose
11-15-2005, 06:30 PM
ToJo :yeah:

Kristen
11-16-2005, 02:03 AM
lol... no more withdrawing from ToJo. His fans have put up with enough of that crap ;)

LaTenista, I think you're right. I'm sure I saw somewhere that he turned down the opportunity (a while ago) to go as one of the 'back-up' guys, and another player had done it as well. Don't remember who though :scratch: .... back then, it was less likely for so many guys to retire. Kom igen tojo!!

LaTenista
11-16-2005, 02:39 AM
Bjorkman_Girl, the other player was Fernando Gonzalez, but he apparently changed his mind - pretty interesting he went from not coming to playing (taking Agassi's place) without really spending any time in limbo as an alternate.

As regards to players turning down the alternate spot, last year both Nalbandian and Agassi did.

I'm beginning to wonder if both Gonzalez and ToJo were forced since didn't have injuries (that I know of) as an excuse not to come.

prima donna
11-16-2005, 03:41 AM
Finally, a player with an all-court, classical game which is suitable for all surfaces arrives at the Championships, aside from Roger. This is good for Thomas and well deserved, he deserved to be in the Wimbledon final. Luck was on Roddick's side, unfortunately. The Swede is a gentleman, a fine sportsman and a pleasure to watch.

Federerthebest
11-16-2005, 03:56 AM
Finally, a player with an all-court, classical game

Are you on crack? Tojo is a modern-day baseline ball-basher, through and through

prima donna
11-16-2005, 04:13 AM
Are you on crack? Tojo is a modern-day baseline ball-basher, through and through
Maybe you're thinking about the other Swede, which is a one-dimensional player that features a gigantic serve. Jochaim, Thomas prefers baseline play for the most part, but can play from just about anywhere on the court.

Just because a player hits a flatter ball, doesn't make them a ball basher. One that is barely 5'10 and weighs 165lbs despite what ATPTOUR.COM says (5'11 176lbs, but that's bullshit) can hardly muster up the strength to overpower anyone.

Federerthebest
11-16-2005, 04:45 AM
No, I'm not thinking of Joachim. Tojo is simply the stereotypical baseliner of the nineties and early 2000s. Nothing too classical or artistic about his game at all, it's just bashing from the back of the court. I would say he plays a very similar game to Davydenko. Predominantly a baseliner, better backhand than forehand, deceptively big serve, though Tojo being a Swede is more comfortable on the quicker courts... The only modern Swede whom I would say does possess something approaching a classical game is Bjorkman.