Federer Defeats Nalbandian, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 (Round Robin Play) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer Defeats Nalbandian, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 (Round Robin Play)

El Legenda
11-13-2005, 06:58 AM
David got on fire half way in 2nd set, carried on half way into 3rd, when he was up 3-1 and serving, got broken and down hill from there. had the match, gave it to roger. :)

prima donna
11-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Spotty play from Roger at times (based on superhuman a.k.a Federer standards), played the "big" points well; overall, a nice and steady victory which hopefully he can use as a positive going into the remaining few matches. Got the job done and that's all that really matters.

tennisinparis
11-13-2005, 06:59 AM
NOT DESERVED. very sad to see it end like this.

champlingo
11-13-2005, 07:00 AM
How was his ankle? Movement?

NYCtennisfan
11-13-2005, 07:01 AM
Fed just c0uldn't move well at all in the first two sets and if Nalbandian hadn't made key errors in the first set, ehcould've won that as well.

3-1 Nalby up in the third, serving, Fed can't hit a return in play, can't hit a BH or FH, can't really move and he toughs out the game winning a long point. Then it was JesusFed time.

Dirk
David was playing well but Roger cleaned up his game and won it. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! His movement was normal ninja like. :)

NYCtennisfan

What are you talking about?

champlingo

Just like he play sloppy and ugly tennis in Cincy this year. He deserved it because he play the big points well. He was down a break in the first and gutted it out.

sigmagirl91
Great job, Roger. Best of luck in your remaining matches.

NYCtennisfan
11-13-2005, 07:02 AM
David was playing well but Roger cleaned up his game and won it. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!! His movement was normal ninja like.

For one thing, he was putting returns in play. Two, he was hitting the BH cleanly as he got more confidence in that ankle.

jazz_girl
David was soooo close! :sad:

tennischick
Duckfan p'raps? :D

congrats Rogi.

now i'm off to bed. :wavey:

NYCtennisfan
11-13-2005, 07:03 AM
I wouldn't count Nalby out yet as he will have a decent shot against Ivan if Ivan isn't serving like a madman. If he is then it will be Ivan and Federer coming through this group.

Federerthebest
Great stuff Roger, well done.

tennisinparis
Did he really play the big points well, or did David play them bad? Do you think this was all federer stepping up or was it partly due to David just letting down after he was broken back? because really, david's shots dropped in quality late in the 3rd set, and he started making the unforced errors.

Just like he play sloppy and ugly tennis in Cincy this year. He deserved it because he play the big points well. He was down a break in the first and gutted it out.

tennisinparis
11-13-2005, 07:04 AM
good try, but try again.

Duckfan p'raps? :D

congrats Rogi.

now i'm off to bed. :wavey:

ReturnWinner
11-13-2005, 07:05 AM
so close david playing great serving *3-1 40-30 in the third set and got unlucky as usual :sad: :(

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Did he really play the big points well, or did David play them bad? Do you think this was all federer stepping up or was it partly due to David just letting down after he was broken back? because really, david's shots dropped in quality late in the 3rd set, and he started making the unforced errors.

Just remember 3-1 40-30, and you'll understand exactly what happened from there.....

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 07:06 AM
so close david playing great serving *3-1 40-30 in the third set and got unlucky as usual :sad: :(

He didn't get "unlucky"; he got careless.

Mechlan
11-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Not deserved? Pfft. Roger raised his game when it counted. Up 3-1 in the third, David was playing beautifully. Roger really stepped it up a notch then and took it away. They had some brilliant rallies that game, and Roger came out on top. Only after that did David fall apart somewhat. Well fought and completely deserved.

ReturnWinner
11-13-2005, 07:07 AM
i think both things happened. specially david´s first serve % :sad:

amierin
11-13-2005, 07:08 AM
This match was there for Nalbandian but Federer proved why he is a champion and began to move and play the big points. Nalbandian had him 3-1 and lost 6-4 in the third.

A good win for Roger, something to think about for Nalbandian.

prima donna
Roger is starting more and more to remind me of Pete, the fact that he can play a match at less than 100% and yet play the big points. It's all that really matters, especially on fast surfaces. This is NOT clay. There are only a few vital points which decide a match and he just happened to execute to perfection when it counted. He was able to attack from the backhand side in the latter portion of the 3rd set and the rest is history, it has nothing to do with Nalbandian choking; it is more so an issue of Fedex just taking it up a notch and if certain person(s) find that ugly ... oh well. :cool:

nobama
Yeah you could argue that Nalby gave him the match, but I do think Fed stepped it up when he needed to. Nalby was on fire in the second and part of the third set, then all of a sudden he went off. The way he was playing would that have happened against anyone but Fed? I would argue that Fed's the most mentally tough of anyone out there right now. After a miserable second set, and then down a break in the third he still fought like hell, didin't give up. Like Gilbert said, that's why he's the best - he finds a way to win even when he's not playing his best.

hitchhiker
11-13-2005, 07:09 AM
feds been breaking back in the deciding set at least half a dozen times this year. even in the 2 matches he lost against safin and gasquet. this is nothing new. machine doesnt lose. period.

NYCtennisfan
11-13-2005, 07:09 AM
The Federer after 1-3, 30-40 down was not the same Federer who was getting beaten around the court by Nalbandian. Federer turned his game up and then Nalbandian didn't respond. This happens in just about ever tennis match. It's harder to hit precise shots when the other player is hitting good shots as well.

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 07:10 AM
A good win for Roger, something to think about for Nalbandian.

Big time.

champlingo
11-13-2005, 07:10 AM

Alot of times, the fact that you don't play well (i.e. Nalby in the 3rd) and begin to make UFE is the direct result of your opponent stepping up the game. You don't go up a break in the deciding set and all of a sudden start to give it away.

amierin
11-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Nalbandian thought the match was over as did everyone else(except Nadal) and by the time he realized Roger had taken over the match it was too late.

mickymouse
Federer has self-belief. It's this quality that enables him to turn matches around.

Fergie
Important win for Rogi, good job! :)

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Nalbandian thought the match was over as did everyone else(except Nadal) and by the time he realized Roger had taken over the match it was too late.

Apparently, he thought too far ahead and lost his concentration. That's all it took.

NYCtennisfan
Roger is starting more and more to remind me of Pete, the fact that he can play a match at less than 100% and yet play the big points. It's all that really matters, especially on fast surfaces.

This match reminded me so much of Pete. Playing like crap, all of a sudden wins one or two big points and then boom, he starts playing like a monster. I can't count all the times Pete did this.

It seems like eons ago that people used to question this guy's mental toughness and desire to pull out tough matches. He had all the excuses in the world to just give up in the third: coming off an injury, haven't played, great opponent, finished #1 already....but he kept on fighting.

tennisinparis
its not that its ugly, i just see something wrong in the fact that a player(David) can play 70-80% of the match better than his opponent and still lose. and by no means am i really bashing federer, when he plays a 100% i like watching him, but when he wins matches that he doesn't play better than his opponent, it just doesn't make me happy.

Roger is starting more and more to remind me of Pete, the fact that he can play a match at less than 100% and yet play the big points. It's all that really matters, especially on fast surfaces. This is NOT clay. There are only a few vital points which decide a match and he just happened to execute to perfection when it counted. He was able to attack from the backhand side in the latter portion of the 3rd set and the rest is history, it has nothing to do with Nalbandian choking; it is more so an issue of Fedex just taking it up a notch and if certain person(s) find that ugly ... oh well. :cool:

prima donna
11-13-2005, 07:13 AM
i think both things happened. specially david´s first serve % :sad:
Nalbandian adjusted his strategy, started playing aggressively and hitting flat shots, which totally goes against what his game stands for. I'm not sure if it was an act of desperation (after the 1st set) or he felt Federer's movement was vulnerable, so decided to initiate the first strike. I think it suprised Roger a bit, but let's be realistic; Nalbandian's serve was helped out big time by this surface, my god, I would rate his serve at 2 stars and tonight it looked like a 4 star. This will be a very interesting week no doubt.

MissMoJo
Absolutely nothing :rolleyes:
David played really well in the 2nd and into the 3rd set, but let his level drop to give back the break and let Roger back in, and that was it. Glad roger was able to tough out the win, hopefully he'll be more consistent in the next round

Skyward

Really? What's happened? Did Nalbandian retire after the 1st set?

NYCtennisfan
Federer has self-belief. It's this quality that enables him to turn matches around.

Amazing, amazing, AMAZING amount of self-belief. He just does not believe that anyone is going to beat him. Hence, the record of 78-3 and 32 won in a row.

PaulieM
11-13-2005, 07:14 AM
so glad he was able to fight this one out. congrats!! :)

Tennis Fool
11-13-2005, 07:16 AM
Champlingo and Federeristhebest. Welcome to the board :wavey:

jacobhiggins
11-13-2005, 07:16 AM
This is why Federer IS one of the greats, he's a living legend!!! He's probablly the most mentally tough player on the tour and like the previous poster said, I think he believes he should never lose a match, he has extreme confidence. The difference from earlier in his career and now, is before he would have extreme confidence when he was winning, now he has extreme confidence when he is winning and LOSING, he is very very tough to beat on any day and any surface!!!

tennisinparis
11-13-2005, 07:17 AM
okay, one question. did the surface help rodger's serve?

Absolutely nothing :rolleyes:
David played really well in the 2nd and into the 3rd set, but let his level drop to give back the break and let Roger back in, and that was it. Glad roger was able to tough out the win, hopefully he'll be more consistent in the next round

prima donna
11-13-2005, 07:17 AM
This match reminded me so much of Pete. Playing like crap, all of a sudden wins one or two big points and then boom, he starts playing like a monster. I can't count all the times Pete did this.

It seems like eons ago that people used to question this guy's mental toughness and desire to pull out tough matches. He had all the excuses in the world to just give up in the third: coming off an injury, haven't played, great opponent, finished #1 already....but he kept on fighting.
I can't believe what Roger has evolved into, really or should I say evolving?.Has he even reached his peak yet ? I still feel like his 2nd serve and volleying could improve, along with this mental toughness he's acquiring from squeaking out tough matches, i.e; Blake (1st round Cincy), Ginepri (SF, Cincy), Agassi (Finals - USO) and now, this match tonight it will only make him a better man in the future and that much tougher to discourage.

Point is, Roger has taken a load of time off this summer and still ran through the field. To be quite honest, I don't think he's been 100% healthy at any point this year and the trouble all started back in Australia.

nobama
11-13-2005, 07:18 AM
It seems like eons ago that people used to question this guy's mental toughness and desire to pull out tough matches. He had all the excuses in the world to just give up in the third: coming off an injury, haven't played, great opponent, finished #1 already....but he kept on fighting.This is so true, and I'll bet there were a fair number of fans who wanted him to pull out because they knew he'd be rusty and might lose. I give him credit for being able to pull this off when Nalby had all the momentum. He kept fighting till the end. That's what champions do.

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 07:18 AM
This is why Federer IS one of the greats, he's a living legend!!! He's probablly the most mentally tough player on the tour and like the previous poster said, I think he believes he should never lose a match, he has extreme confidence. The difference from earlier in his career and now, is before he would have extreme confidence when he was winning, now he has extreme confidence when he is winning and LOSING, he is very very tough to beat on any day and any surface!!!

And that's an example all players would do well to observe and emulate.

nobama
11-13-2005, 07:19 AM
okay, one question. did the surface help rodger's serve?I didn't think he served that well tonight.

prima donna
Roger's serve doesn't really need the help, he's going to get his aces anyway. Nalbandian is the one with the steady ground game and awful, at times, I'd even use the word anemic service game. That to me is suspect in itself.

Mechlan
its not that its ugly, i just see something wrong in the fact that a player(David) can play 70-80% of the match better than his opponent and still lose. and by no means am i really bashing federer, when he plays a 100% i like watching him, but when he wins matches that he doesn't play better than his opponent, it just doesn't make me happy.
Well, that's the beauty of tennis. It requires strategy. All points are equal, but some points are more equal than others.

tennisinparis
11-13-2005, 07:23 AM
thank you for being realistic enough to notice that. i mean, i don't understand how anyone can say, it helped nalbandian's serve, when the surface did nothing to help rodger's serve. as a matter of fact, rodger's first serve was not good most of the match. i don't see how people can't understand the fact that maybe david stepped his game up a notch, i mean he still lost to a great player, but he played awesome at the same time(minus the last 4 or 5 games. anyway, i am gone to bed, don't care to watch ljubicic kill coria.

I didn't think he served that well tonight.

lau
11-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Am I allowed to act histerical??

:sad: :( :banghead: :bigcry: :shrug: :sobbing: :hysteric: :crying2:

jazz_girl
11-13-2005, 07:25 AM

:hug: I'm so used to these kind of matches :lol:

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 07:25 AM

Go ahead...it's not any easier going down.

lau
11-13-2005, 07:27 AM
:hug: I'm so used to these kind of matches :lol:
I`m used to them too (I`m a Safin fan, after all...)
But it`s never easy for me :sad: :o

NYCtennisfan
11-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Federer didn't serve well after the 1st set. He served pretty well in the 1st set. High %, some nice hard serves. That's why he didn't get broken because he wasn't moving well or hitting the ball well at all.

jazz_girl
11-13-2005, 07:29 AM
I`m used to them too (I`m a Safin fan, after all...)
But it`s never easy for me :sad: :o
We're used to suffer, what can we do? :lol: Anyway, let's hope he can win his next two matches now, although it'll be very tough!

MissMoJo
11-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Did it help nalbandian's serve? as someone already pointed out, roger will get aces regardless. It probably helped nalby's serve more because he doesn't have alot of power, and the faster surface added some pop as noted by the commentators. I can understand you being upset about your favorite losing, but so to say that the win was underserved is ridiculous. The only underserved victory is a cheat, and that clearly didn't happen here. The player that plays the important points well ,gets the win(fed v. safin AO semi). I'm sure you know this, don't let your bias color your logic.

jacobhiggins
11-13-2005, 07:32 AM
It's amazing how a grown man can be so stupid!!!

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 07:32 AM
We're used to suffer, what can we do? :lol: Anyway, let's hope he can win his next two matches now, although it'll be very tough!

David wins his next two matches....I am Queen Elizabeth.

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 07:33 AM
It's amazing how a grown man can be so stupid!!!

:confused:

gooner88
11-13-2005, 07:34 AM
David wins his next two matches....I am Queen Elizabeth.

Ok........
Deliver for Queen and country Nalbo. ;)

RonE
11-13-2005, 07:35 AM

I just saw the match- in the first set Roger was steady and David made a few errors which were his undoing and lead to Roger winning the set 6-3. But midway through the 2nd set until he lead 3-1 in the third Nalbandian was on fire. This was the Nalbandian of old against Roger and I had constant flashbacks of how he used to frustrate Roger and Roger's game would fall apart in the past. The only difference this time was, Roger didn't wilt. He started driving his BH returns, stepping in closer, dictating play and hitting some unbelievable shots to break twice in succession and effectively seal the match.

This victory was fully deserved. With Roger coming off a very difficult injury to recover and move as well as he did and tough out a really really tight match with no match play in over the course of a few weeks against his one-time nemesis was truly outstanding, and a fully deserved win :worship: :worship: :worship:

jacobhiggins
11-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Oh i'm sorry, i'm talking about a 30 year old poster who's name ends in paris lol!!!

tennisinparis
11-13-2005, 07:37 AM
your crazy, i am not even a fan of davids. i think you are lost in your own fantasy world. i was just enjoying watching someone playing a great match against federer, a very high quality match, and then he just out of the blue lost. i mean i have never really enjoyed david. and he isn't someon i would put in my top 10 of favorite, but hey if you wanna think that he is my favorite, go ahead, keep living in your fantasy world.

Did it help nalbandian's serve? as someone already pointed out, roger will get aces regardless. It probably helped nalby's serve more because he doesn't have alot of power, and the faster surface added some pop as noted by the commentators. I can understand you being upset about your favorite losing, but so to say that the win was underserved is ridiculous. The only underserved victory is a cheat, and that clearly didn't happen here. The player that plays the important points well ,gets the win(fed v. safin AO semi). I'm sure you know this, don't let your bias color your logic.

Clara Bow
11-13-2005, 07:37 AM
The only underserved victory is a cheat, and that clearly didn't happen here.

I agree. Although I would like to add that I also wouldn't like a victory based on wrong line calls/overules. Which of course was not the case here.

Roger deserved to win because he pulled it out when it mattered. That's what champs do, find a way to win even when they are not playing their best during the whole match. That's what has happened at a good number of Master's finals this year-including Miami and Madrid. And as much as I like David he has a problem doing that and that is one reason to me why he has far too few titles (what is it three) than he should with his talent and groundstrokes.

PaulieM
11-13-2005, 07:38 AM
then a lot of matches must make you unhappy. it happens all the time, what counts is who plays better on the big points. david played well throughout the match and really great in the 2nd set but i wouldn't say that he played that much better than roger did for as much of the match as you apparently think he did. it was a tough match with both guys hanging in, both played well in different parts of the match, roger found a way to lift his game in the third and david let it slip a little, this isn't the first time that's happened in a match and it won't be the last, that's how tennis works. so i don't know about not deserving the win. :shrug:

MissMoJo
11-13-2005, 07:48 AM
your crazy, i am not even a fan of davids. i think you are lost in your own fantasy world. i was just enjoying watching someone playing a great match against federer, a very high quality match, and then he just out of the blue lost. i mean i have never really enjoyed david. and he isn't someon i would put in my top 10 of favorite, but hey if you wanna think that he is my favorite, go ahead, keep living in your fantasy world.
lol dude, i'm not the one calling a win undeserved because i'm mad about the outcome.....that's the fantasy, and you own it. Whether you're a fan of david's or not is irrelevant to who deserved to win this match, it doesn't matter either way. I just assumed you were overreacting because you were emotional. Ignoring my point and resorting to calling me crazy :confused: didn't help your cause.

Although I would like to add that I also wouldn't like a victory based on wrong line calls/overules. Which of course was not the case here.
Yeah, clara bow, i agree with this. If bad line calls played a part, it would definitely taint the match for me.

Federerthebest
11-13-2005, 07:53 AM
What's this rubbish about Federer not deserving the win? The person who wins the match always deserves the win, unless other factors such as injuries or line-calls play a part. David may have outplayed Roger for a large part of the match but he couldn't win the big points when he needed to.

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 07:57 AM
What's this rubbish about Federer not deserving the win? The person who wins the match always deserves the win, unless other factors such as injuries or line-calls play a part. David may have outplayed Roger for a large part of the match but he couldn't win the big points when he needed to.

:worship: Couldn't agree more.

nobama
11-13-2005, 07:57 AM
How about the Madrid final? Should we say Nadal didn't deserve to win that match? As others have said, unless there were bad line calls a win is not undeserved. Roger's not the first player to play scrappy tennis and win.

gooner88
11-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Nalbo's got nothing to be ashamed about. He had Fed down but didin't get that killer punch. Not bad for someone who's supposed to be fishing back home now.
Fed being the champion he is, grinded it out. He isn't gonna be playing millionnaire tennis every match. Congrats to him.

Clara Bow
11-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Yeah, clara bow, i agree with this. If bad line calls played a part, it would definitely taint the match for me.

Upon further reflection, I would like to claify my initial statment a bit. Unforunately, there are bad calls in almost all matches. (For Master's there were a couple in the Miami and Madrid finals for example.) Bad calls do happen, and I don't think that if there are a couple in a match that automatically means that the win is not deserved. What I do think is that if there are repeated bad calls, etc.- then that could taint a match. Sorry for splitting hairs here.

Nalbo's got nothing to be ashamed about. He had Fed down but didin't get that killer punch. Not bad for someone who's supposed to be fishing back home now.

Very true. Good showing for someone who was literaly packing up to go on vacation when he was called up.

I was very happy to see David make a real go of it make a much better show here than he did the last time he met Feds at the USO.

silverwhite
11-13-2005, 08:30 AM
David :sad: You had your chance. But :worship: to Roger. Great to see that Nalby still gives Fed fits though. Pity I missed the match.

Doris Loeffel
11-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Well done Roger for fighting back and winning it!!

Roger himself admittet that a few years back he would have lost that match. But now he has so much believe in himself that he knows there's always a chance to turn around a match. And I really believe that's one of his biggest improvements his mental strenghts!! He didn't have it at the beginning of his career but he for sure has it now - and he shows it very clearly!!

ClaycourtaZzZz.
11-13-2005, 08:46 AM
It was fun to see him having some problems with Nalby:D

Kip
11-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Perfect example of why Federer
is THE MAN! :cool:

Coming off over a month layoff,
still dealing with the ankle, being
a bit rusty, and yet still finds a way
to raise his level when he needs to!

Never got the sense he was out of
it even when he was down!

Roger is every bit the
genius he is touted as! :worship:

CooCooCachoo
11-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Good win :)

Good fight from Dahveed.

Art&Soul
11-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Congrats ROGI, he did not play his best tennis and can't move well due to his injury but still find a way to beat Nalby :D That's the MAN, way to go ROGELIO :)

mallorn
11-13-2005, 10:05 AM
I just read the whole thread and it sounds like it was a gripping match, too bad I couldn’t watch it (Eurosport :banghead: ). Congratulations to Rogelio :hatoff:

Galaxystorm
11-13-2005, 10:07 AM
I don't think Nalbandian gave Roger the match , just that when Roger was a break down in the third set he started to play as well as he was doing in the first set and Nalbandian couldn't stop Roger's talent

Nalbandian was only superior to Roger when Fed lost his concentration ( from he was broken in the second set until the fourth game in the third set ), from the fith game Fed began to play as he usually plays and Roger's talent was too much for Nalbandian

a girl 13
11-13-2005, 10:44 AM
I just read the whole thread and it sounds like it was a gripping match, too bad I couldn’t watch it (Eurosport :banghead: ). Congratulations to Rogelio :hatoff:

DUTCH EUROSPORT = :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :ignore: :ignore: :ignore: :ignore: :ignore: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout:

Neely
11-13-2005, 10:54 AM
I wanted Nalbandian to beat Federer like in Junior days or until 2003. Too bad that Nalbandian couldn't connect on the second set with another good set in this match for the win :(

At the moment I think that Coria will have no chance to defeat Federer, looks like I have to hope for Ljubicic to beat Federer and to make things interesting. That could be very exciting match-up which we could get to see twice.

mallorn
11-13-2005, 11:10 AM
@ a girl 13
I was thinking:
http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/9710/iconrant22yv.gif (http://imageshack.us) http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/9710/iconrant22yv.gif (http://imageshack.us) http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/9710/iconrant22yv.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/9710/iconrant22yv.gif (http://imageshack.us) http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/9710/iconrant22yv.gif (http://imageshack.us) http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/9710/iconrant22yv.gif (http://imageshack.us)

landoud
11-13-2005, 11:17 AM
well done rogelio

Stevens Point
11-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Is he playing Coria or Ljubicic next??

Galaxystorm
11-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Is he playing Coria or Ljubicic next??

In the TMC always the day two matches are : the two winners of the first day face each other , and the two losers face each other .

That is , Federer-Ljubo , Coria-Nalbandian

1sun
11-13-2005, 11:37 AM
good job roger, can anyone tell me how was the court playing? was the ball jumping?

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 12:00 PM
I wanted Nalbandian to beat Federer like in Junior days or until 2003. Too bad that Nalbandian couldn't connect on the second set with another good set in this match for the win :(

At the moment I think that Coria will have no chance to defeat Federer, looks like I have to hope for Ljubicic to beat Federer and to make things interesting. That could be very exciting match-up which we could get to see twice.

I know. I don't want to get into all the math here, but you're right....it can get interesting if Ljubicic beats Federer.

Jimnik
11-13-2005, 12:03 PM
This was so obviously going to happen. Roger hasn't played in months but Nalba would find a way of choking.

Corey Feldman
11-13-2005, 12:14 PM
wow.. well done roger, for just playing.

typical Nalbandian... plays pitiful shit against Haas in Paris a few weeks ago but can almost beat Federer next.
bloody headcase if ever there was one.

Billabong
11-13-2005, 12:31 PM
YEAH well done Fed:bounce: Very impressive win:yeah: I'm so happy:yippee:!!! Now keep up the great play:banana:!!!!!!

ClaycourtaZzZz.
11-13-2005, 12:33 PM
YEAH well done Fed:bounce: Very impressive win:yeah: I'm so happy:yippee:!!! Now keep up the great play:banana:!!!!!!
:o It wasn't great:o

WF4EVER
11-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Except for his mental walkabout (from the second set to 3-1 in the third set) which he seems to have developed an affinity for this year, I think that was oneof the best matches I've seen Roger play this year.

His forehand was a lot more accurate than ealry this year, and many of his misses were caused by slowfootedness. When his feet were properly planted his hsots were really good for the most part. In addition his backhand is really improved. He seemed to be relying on it more which makes me think that he knows it's better (perhaps from working on it more).

And his mental fortitud eis like always. 1-3 down in her third set he just wentinto a different mode and played some really good tennis from thereon.

I'm still concerned about his ankle and even more so about his match versus Ljubicic. I think the last time he lost a set at the TMC was in 2003 in his first macth versus AGassi (but remind me if I'm wrong) and if he loses to Ljubo he may have to depend on someone else in order to secure his berth in the Sf. (Again if I'm wrong correct me). So I really hope he's fit and can bring his best to the rest of the tourney.

Of course I want him to win.

Billabong
11-13-2005, 12:49 PM
:o It wasn't great:o

Well it was by patches, and when it counted the most:p Now he needs to play all the time like he did late in the 3rd set;)!

Billabong
11-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Except for his mental walkabout (from the second set to 3-1 in the third set) which he seems to have developed an affinity for this year, I think that was oneof the best matches I've seen Roger play this year.

His forehand was a lot more accurate than ealry this year, and many of his misses were caused by slowfootedness. When his feet were properly planted his hsots were really good for the most part. In addition his backhand is really improved. He seemed to be relying on it more which makes me think that he knows it's better (perhaps from working on it more).

And his mental fortitud eis like always. 1-3 down in her third set he just wentinto a different mode and played some really good tennis from thereon.

I'm still concerned about his ankle and even more so about his match versus Ljubicic. I think the last time he lost a set at the TMC was in 2003 in his first macth versus AGassi (but remind me if I'm wrong) and if he loses to Ljubo he may have to depend on someone else in order to secure his berth in the Sf. (Again if I'm wrong correct me). So I really hope he's fit and can bring his best to the rest of the tourney.

Of course I want him to win.

I think his ankle help up very well today, no?? This match was very positive I think:)! BTW Moya won a set against him last year;)!

nobama
11-13-2005, 12:52 PM
:o It wasn't great:oNo what was impressive is that he won period. As Fed said he was waiting for Nalbandian to give him the opportunity and once he did, Fed took it. He thanked Nalby for that.

mangoes
11-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Congrats Roger. I fell asleep in the beginning of the second, then I opened my eyes slightly and saw Roger had been broken, well that certainly woke me up again. Roger really raised the level of his game in the third set after he was broken. Congrats again Roger :) I had to clap when he won and breath a sigh of relief................lol

Rommella
11-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Roger seemed to be favoring his injured foot at times. I wonder how much pain he's really trying to play through.

May have been a case of "winning ugly" but still a win nonetheless. With Roger, when the final set is on the line and you break him, be afraid, be very afraid -- he will break you right back.

RonE
11-13-2005, 01:14 PM
I think the last time he lost a set at the TMC was in 2003 in his first macth versus AGassi (but remind me if I'm wrong) and if he loses to Ljubo he may have to depend on someone else in order to secure his berth in the Sf. (Again if I'm wrong correct me)

Actually, he lost a set to Moya last year at the RR stage but that was after he'd already qualified for the semis.

If Ljubo beats Fed, Fed beat Coria and David beats Ljubo Fed, Nalb and Ljub each have 2 wins and 1 loss and it goes down to who has the better set win/loss record. It could potentially hurt him going to three sets today but that remains to be seen.

enqvistfan
11-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Roger :yeah:

sigmagirl91
11-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Actually, he lost a set to Moya last year at the RR stage but that was after he'd already qualified for the semis.

If Ljubo beats Fed, Fed beat Coria and David beats Ljubo Fed, Nalb and Ljub each have 2 wins and 1 loss and it goes down to who has the better set win/loss record. It could potentially hurt him going to three sets today but that remains to be seen.

I was performing the math on this, and it comes down to this:
If an in-form Ljubo defeats Fed in straights, and Nalb defeats Coria in straights, then Ljubo gets the first semi spot, and the second one would come down to Nalb and Fed.
If the above scenario happens, and Nalb defeats Ljubo in straights or even three sets, then Nalb gets the second spot...and maybe the first if the straight-set victory materialized.
And Ron...I'm not going to even consider Coria beating Federer...it won't happen. In case it DOES happen, then it's Nalb and Ljubo.
Now, if Fed beats Ljubo, then the math gets hairier.

mishar
11-13-2005, 02:04 PM
This happens in nearly all tennis matches, and it is almost impossible to distinguish what part is choke and what part is comeback, what part is the opponent's bad play as opposed to your good play. However, as a fan of David, I am really happy with how he played in the second set & beginning of third -- it was the best I'd seen from him all year (not that we see so many of his matches on US TV). So hopefully he can keep up that level of a play 100% of a match.

But Fed deserves all the credit. I was making up all kinds of sympathetic excuses in my head -- the court surface, the injury, the lack of match play -- but he never gave up, he raised his game, he is a champion. I love seeing him win, even against one of my other favorites.

mishar
11-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Ljubo might be the toughest match for Federer in the whole week, given the surface and Ivan's recent form. If Rog can win that one, then I think he's pretty much golden.

THe way David played, it could be a great match between him and Ivan.

R.Federer
11-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Great comeback in the third!!!! Nalbandi, good effort too.

R.Federer
11-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Ya, now Roge now improve his record going straight from 0-5 to 4-5 against david, :yeah:.

hitchhiker
11-13-2005, 03:31 PM
ljubicic is a overrated gimp. His not beating federer unless:
a) federers injured ankle flares up
b) federers other ankle falls off
c) federer plays left handed & blind folded
d) federer doesnt eat/sleep/drink for the next 48 hours and spends all time between now and then enclosed in a freezer filled with rotten fish

1sun
11-13-2005, 03:33 PM
d) federer doesnt eat/sleep/drink for the next 48 hours and spends all time between now and then enclosed in a freezer filled with rotten fish
:haha:

shotgun
11-13-2005, 03:36 PM
This is so typical, Federer winning in 3 sets in his first match after a break. Anyone else reminded of Cincinatti by this?

Jennay
11-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Good to see that Federer's ankle is 'ok.' Nice fight.

Nalbandian had it. :rolleyes:
:haha: :haha: :haha:

nobama
11-13-2005, 03:38 PM
This is so typical, Federer winning in 3 sets in his first match after a break. Anyone else reminded of Cincinatti by this?Yes, but I think his play was worse in Cincy (except for the final).

its.like.that
11-13-2005, 03:38 PM
nice choke by bandy, Roger got lucky.

R.Federer
11-13-2005, 03:39 PM

I can tell from your other posts that you are not very friendly to Roge, but your posts are so funny! :yeah: :lol:

(I like the one, on some other thread, about the conspiracy to get muray into the T.M.C....)

lunahielo
11-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Good day at the office, Ninja. :)

Whistleway
11-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Point is, Roger has taken a load of time off this summer and still ran through the field. To be quite honest, I don't think he's been 100% healthy at any point this year and the trouble all started back in Australia.

I agree with you... It all started in AO. :(

1sun
11-13-2005, 04:20 PM
I agree with you... It all started in AO. :(
lets hope it all disapears by next ao :)

Fedex
11-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Just remember 3-1 40-30, and you'll understand exactly what happened from there.....
Yes, forehand shot just clipped the tape, and had he not missed he would have had a 4-1 lead. The mental breakdown afterward was inevitable.

Fedex
11-13-2005, 04:25 PM
N Nalbandian's serve was helped out big time by this surface, my god, I would rate his serve at 2 stars and tonight it looked like a 4 star.
I agree with this.

BlackSilver
11-13-2005, 04:26 PM
What a chance......

AsianSensation
11-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Nice win

R.Federer
11-13-2005, 04:41 PM
It is tough for nalbandian. I think just as Roge used to have a mental block when playing david, I think that after the last 4 times they played, david has developed the belief that he is not going to win.
Roge has done this turnaround with other playres also, like leyton and agassi and tim. For them, it is "this used to work fine to beat him, but its not enough now, what to do?". And their games have not grown more than his has

1sun
11-13-2005, 04:43 PM
It is tough for nalbandian. I think just as Roge used to have a mental block when playing david, I think that after the last 4 times they played, david has developed the belief that he is not going to win.
Roge has done this turnaround with other playres also, like leyton and agassi and tim. For them, it is "this used to work fine to beat him, but its not enough now, what to do?". And their games have not grown more than his has
so true

Tennis Fool
11-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey :wavey: Haven't said "hi" since the US Open.

Dragula.mp3
11-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Someone has to yell to David "Play like you do in Davis Cup". Nice match after all but kinda sad for Nalbandian.

Tennis Fool
11-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Another new poster. Hi. :wavey:

RonE
11-13-2005, 04:48 PM
If an in-form Ljubo defeats Fed in straights, and Nalb defeats Coria in straights, then Ljubo gets the first semi spot, and the second one would come down to Nalb and Fed.
If the above scenario happens, and Nalb defeats Ljubo in straights or even three sets, then Nalb gets the second spot...and maybe the first if the straight-set victory materialized.
And Ron...I'm not going to even consider Coria beating Federer...it won't happen. In case it DOES happen, then it's Nalb and Ljubo.

Actually if Fed beats Ljubo, from a practical perspective Roger will finish the group #1 (I don't see him losing to Coria) and the 2nd semifinalist will be determined by the Nalb-Ljubo match (I don't see Nalb losing to Coria either).

R.Federer
11-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey :wavey: Haven't said "hi" since the US Open.

Hi Tennis Fool! How are you? (Sorry to others, :topic: )
We will do live scores together with B. Lowe for the Australia Open, no?
I am fine... I am pregnant and my baby is due in the early Spring! I tell my husband (Swiss man) that if its a boy I will call him Roger. If its a girl, I say Rogina. He is really cross sometimes that I have this obsession with a Swiss man which is not him ;)

rofe
11-13-2005, 05:16 PM
I don't think Nalbandian gave Roger the match , just that when Roger was a break down in the third set he started to play as well as he was doing in the first set and Nalbandian couldn't stop Roger's talent

Nalbandian was only superior to Roger when Fed lost his concentration ( from he was broken in the second set until the fourth game in the third set ), from the fith game Fed began to play as he usually plays and Roger's talent was too much for Nalbandian

I had to respond to you since it was not his tennis talent alone (I think by talent you mean that) that pulled him through. He actually had to grind out this match. It seems to be his uncanny ability to play the points that matter well. He has developed the ability to play well under pressure.

After watching the 2nd set and part of the 3rd set, I was resigned to the fact that Fed was going to lose this match. His movement was sluggish ( a very important part of his game) and he his game was laced with UEs.

I was pleasantly surprised that he turned it around the way he did.

Raquel
11-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Well done Roger ;) I only got to see the 3rd set but I thought Roger played very well from 1-3 down. Really great to see him again.

I hope David can somehow still make the semis but he'll have to really be at his best to beat Ljubicic. Good luck David :)

1sun
11-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi Tennis Fool! How are you? (Sorry to others, :topic: )
We will do live scores together with B. Lowe for the Australia Open, no?
I am fine... I am pregnant and my baby is due in the early Spring! I tell my husband (Swiss man) that if its a boy I will call him Roger. If its a girl, I say Rogina. He is really cross sometimes that I have this obsession with a Swiss man which is not him ;)
:haha:

Dexter_1986
11-13-2005, 06:42 PM
What was that 2nd set Roger? :p ;)

Denaon
11-13-2005, 06:48 PM
:sad: David....:yeah: even though, a nice match

Fedex
11-13-2005, 06:48 PM
I hope David can somehow still make the semis but he'll have to really be at his best to beat Ljubicic. Good luck David :)
But David gets Coria 1st, which is good; he'll win that match. That'll give him a chance to make the semis, but it will still come down to beating Ljubicic.

NyGeL
11-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Nalbo shit his pants

RogiFan88
11-13-2005, 08:11 PM
It was fun to see him having some problems with Nalby:D

Where have you been all these years?? It's only recently that Rogi has been able to actually beat Nalby in a match and win it. :rolleyes:

Fedex
11-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Where have you been all these years?? It's only recently that Rogi has been able to actually beat Nalby in a match and win it. :rolleyes:
True, and even after this defeat Nalbandian still leads Federer 5-4 in the Head to Head.

RogiFan88
11-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Rogi's getting there!! ;) Nalby is a talented player who has a ton of patience -- he is definitely not living up to his potential but you never know!

KoOlMaNsEaN
11-13-2005, 08:22 PM
:bounce:

LaTenista
11-13-2005, 08:51 PM
:shrug: I stayed up til 2 am to watch this? Seriously should have just turned off the TV when Nalby gave back the break straight back in the 3rd set.

At this rate, Federer will have another undefeated title at TMC unless he plays Rafa, the only other player could possibly bother him.

Federerhingis
11-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Federers movement was pretty stiff the first three games of the first set, his backhand was completely off, he missed at least 5 very badly. He looked unsure too a few times during the first few games. That second set was a scare, all of Davids backhand passes and returns were winners, his on the run forehand was biting those courts too. Feds serve was a bit erratic and his second serve was devoured during the second set by Nalbandian.

It was a great scare. I am so glad he's through. :D

R.Federer
11-14-2005, 03:34 AM

I watch the coria lujubicic match, and I think that coria played real well despite the one sided score. I think that coria will have a good chance against david

disturb3d
11-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Fuck Rodge.

Billabong
11-14-2005, 03:58 AM
Rogi:woohoo: *still thrilled with this victory:bounce:*!!!

GOOOOOOOO FEDDDDDDDDD:banana:!!!!!!!!

Oriental_Rain
11-14-2005, 03:59 AM
I didnt know the TMC was already started :silly:
Congratz Feddy :yeah: