What 2005 tennis moment made you feel proud? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What 2005 tennis moment made you feel proud?

Horatio Caine
11-12-2005, 10:29 PM
By this I mean any of the following:

1. Proud to be a fan of tennis, as a sport.
2. Proud to be a fan of a particular player.
3. Proud to be a fan of a particular tennis nation?

1sun
11-12-2005, 10:37 PM
3 times i was proud of roger.
first, aussie semi, he fought his heart out and went down fighting
second, after winning wimbledon in such style, playing the type of tennis that wont be forgotten even when there was so much pressure on him.
thirdly, wining the open when he wasnt even at his best.

AgassiDomination
11-12-2005, 10:51 PM
3 times i was proud of roger.
first, aussie semi, he fought his heart out and went down fighting
second, after winning wimbledon in such style, playing the type of tennis that wont be forgotten even when there was so much pressure on him.
thirdly, wining the open when he wasnt even at his best.

just go suck his dick and be done with it :rolleyes:

1sun
11-12-2005, 10:54 PM
sounds like agassi was doing all the cock sucking after getting the run about in his homeland. hear the comments.

PaulieM
11-12-2005, 11:08 PM
those were perfectly legit answers, you can post a bunch about agassi if you like, not sure where the problem is. :shrug:
1. Proud to be a fan of tennis, as a sport. the comments roger made about santoro after their match at the uso
2. Proud to be a fan of a particular player. federer fighting really hard in miami, and handling his loss in australia really well.
3. Proud to be a fan of a particular tennis nation? croatia/ivan this year in DC.

euroka1
11-12-2005, 11:18 PM
In all three categories and for both players, it was that 45 hit rally between Hewitt and Federer at Indian Wells last March. :hatoff:

Horatio Caine
11-12-2005, 11:19 PM
For me:

Proud to be a fan of tennis, as a sport - Federer is a true ambassador to the game, both in terms of his "God-like" abilities and his personality. :worship:

Proud to be a fan of a particular player - James Blake. My heart, like so many other peoples' goes out to this man. Not only did he lose his father, but he almost lost mobility and his career...and somehow he is back at the top of the game within 18 months! Incredible! :eek:

Proud to be a fan of a particular tennis nation? Ljubo, in David Cup, is a true inspiration for anything right now in my life...I've had a difficult year and seeing him able to battle single-handedly and come up trumps in so many challenges, is incredible. If you are ever down in something as trivial as a sporting match, you think of him...and start to turn the tables...

El Legenda
11-12-2005, 11:23 PM
i dont know, i didnt follow tennis much this year.

prima donna
11-12-2005, 11:27 PM
fedex winning his 3rd consecutive wimbledon title. :)

almouchie
11-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Lubicic for probably being the most improved/consistent/ player of the year
he is such a gentleman u will never hear him say a bad thing or complain or any player have anything to say about him
& what he did in davis cup amazing

lau
11-12-2005, 11:33 PM
I wouldn´t describe what I feel for tennis or what tennis makes me feel as being "PROUD". I enjoy it, it`s a wonderful sport and it can make my day a couple of times in the year...
My happiest tennis moments this year: Marat defeating Roger and winning AO, Puerta in RG final, Argentina defeating Australia in Aus. and on grass (Nalbi :yeah: ) and the good moment of Arg. male pro tennis in general (despite doping)....
:scratch: I might be missing something...
(and obviously, enjoying good tennis in general too...*cough*Roger*cough*Rafa*cough*)

El Legenda
11-12-2005, 11:36 PM
he is such a gentleman u will never hear him say a bad thing or complain or any player have anything to say about him

everyone on here will think you are a idiot for saying that, but not me :lol: here is why, fans like on this forum only hear bad things and use them against a player, but Ljubicic was voted by players as Vice-President of there Union, so if people who spend most of time with him yearly on the tour, think that highly of him, he must not be that bad of guy after all. :wavey:

R.Federer
11-12-2005, 11:38 PM
I will talk about moments when I was proud of players other than Roge (I am proud of him many times)

1. I was very proud of Safin: Safin def. Federer AO semifinals, the exchange not just at the net but when they were walking over and Safin came and patted him on the back and they looked at each other, understanding how difficult it is to lose after having matchpoint :yeah:

2. I was very proud of Agassi: at the USO finals he was extremely gracious in defeat. He took time to talk up Roge because the crowd was so one-sided, and he managed a congratulation smile to Roge although he looked devastated :yeah:

LaTenista
11-12-2005, 11:40 PM

All the charitable things ATP players have done this entire year with disaster relief and UNICEF, for example Carlos Moya donating all his prize money from winning Chennai to help tsunami victims.

Rafa winning Roland Garros, taking out 2 Frenchmen and the World No 1, on his first try while only losing 3 sets.

Argentina's win over Australia in DC QFs, particularly Puerta/Nalbandian winning the doubles rubber on grass.

BATES
11-12-2005, 11:40 PM
As an argentine, the moment of 2005 that made me feel proud of our tennis was the Entry Ranking of August 1st and 8th:

#8 Gaudio, Gaston (ARG )
#9 Coria, Guillermo (ARG )
#10 Canas, Guillermo (ARG )
#11 Puerta, Mariano (ARG )
#12 Nalbandian, David (ARG )

gsm
11-12-2005, 11:41 PM
1. Proud to be a fan of tennis, as a sport;
AO semi, roger v marat, WOW!!!

2. Proud to be a fan of a particular player;
ljubicic, such a fighter!!!

3. Proud to be a fan of a particular tennis nation;
none in particular, though croatia have stood IMO, thanks mostly to ljubicic.

gsm
11-12-2005, 11:47 PM
ljubicic, such a fighter!!!

though his slam results leave a lot to be desired, maybe he can fix that in 06.

Jimnik
11-13-2005, 12:38 AM
By this I mean any of the following:

1. Many moments. Federer v Safin AO semi-final. Federer v Agassi on the Dubai heli-pad - that was amazing and got so much coverage.

2. I guess Marat's Australian Open triumph made me proud. I was quite proud of JCF's efforts against Federer in Dubai and, to a certain extent, at Wimbledon. But not a great year for my favs :sad:

3. I'm not really a fan of a particular nation. Slovaks and Croats obviously should feel very proud this year. I guess I'm proud of Great Britian in the Davis Cup against Switzerland - Alan Mackin won 2 games against Federer :woohoo:

Daniela_CABJ
11-13-2005, 03:33 AM
1. Proud to be a fan of tennis, as a sport
1st round of DC, in Buenos Aires, people in the crowd (I was there) showed respect during both national anthems (doesn't happen with other sports)

I don't remember... probably Puerta, during RG final... his speech at the end of the match made me feel proud!

3. Proud to be a fan of a particular tennis nation
2nd round of DC, Australia vs Argentina, proud of being a fan of Argentina! :D

R.Federer
11-13-2005, 03:42 AM
I guess I'm proud of Great Britian in the Davis Cup against Switzerland - Alan Mackin won 2 games against Federer :woohoo:

:lol:

Kristen
11-13-2005, 06:34 AM
All of the doubles matches with Jurgen and Alex in Melbourne made me quite proud :)

Clara Bow
11-13-2005, 07:39 AM
* The philanthropy and goodheartedness of the sport, including:
- The auctions and donations for Katrina and the tsunami (Carlos :))
- Roger's visit to South Africa
- Rafa's request to visit a children's hosptial in Germany and his hospital visits in Spain
- Andy Roddick's foundation giving $25,000 to the children's hosptial foundation that I work for in Austin
* The presence of ATP players in more mainstream publications here in the US such as GQ (Safin- fantastic article!), Men's Vogue (Roger), Cargo (Roddick), Vogue (Rafa), Teen Vogue (Rafa and Scoville Jenkins)

Can't choose just one:
* Safin winning the Oz Open
* Roger only having 3 (!) losses
* Rafa coming down from 0-3 in the fifth to win Rome in more than five hours and then going on to win the French
* Blake winning two titles and playing so well at the USO
* Agassi showing that he still has it going on as an oldie but a goodie at the USO
* Ivan kicking ass and taking names in DC and also being such a gracious loser after two five-set losses in Madrid and Paris
* Nalby and Coria being the only players outside of Feds to reach Round of 16 at all GS

* Slovakia making it to the final (and Beck looking adorable with his shaved head after they made it)
* Croatia making it to the final (and allowing the chance for a possible Goran return!)
* Argentina playing so well on grass in Australia

partygirl
11-13-2005, 07:50 AM
proud of a player:

i was very proud of puerta & nadal in the open final, i really wanted mariano to win...but it was all just to good.

plus roddicks run at wimbly...even though he didnt win it all,
his matches leading up to the final were so good.
i really thought he might not make it, but the roddick pulled out some tough wins there that had me cheering and screaming :devil:

kali_puerta_fan
11-13-2005, 08:01 AM
proud of a player: Mariano Puerta, his beautiful run at the RG, and his magnificent shot in the final (when he fals and still gets the point)
proud of a tennis nation: Argentina - so much talent! and so much ambition and Romania- not that much money but great talent and great 2 former players: Ilie Nastase and Ion Tiriac.

proud of tennis:because it's a fair-play game with beautiful players, beautiful shots, full of excitement and unpredictible...

TenHound
11-13-2005, 08:10 AM
The IDIOT who came up w/this question must work for a goddamn advertising agency :( :(

El Legenda
11-13-2005, 08:11 AM
The IDIOT who came up w/this question must work for a goddamn advertising agency :( :(
:confused:

kali_puerta_fan
11-13-2005, 08:16 AM
:confused: same here :confused:

TenHound
11-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Don't know how to explain, except that only someone who is looking to run an advertising campaign of some sort would even think of associating "pride" w/watching a game that one enjoys or not, but is far removed from one's own life.

El Legenda
11-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Don't know how to explain, except that only someone who is looking to run an advertising campaign of some sort would even think of associating "pride" w/watching a game that one enjoys or not, but is far removed from one's own life.

not the case here, Jez is not clever enough to hatch a scheme like that

ClaycourtaZzZz.
11-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Andy Murray fighting at Wimbledon and USO, all other matches too!

Horatio Caine
11-13-2005, 12:14 PM
not the case here, Jez is not clever enough to hatch a scheme like that

You little bitch! :mad: :fiery: :haha: :yeah:

Bend over Ducky...I'm gonna slap you silly!! :devil:

Yeah you're right...I'm as thick as too short planks ;)

Horatio Caine
11-13-2005, 12:33 PM

Your ignorance is mind-boggling :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
11-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Your ignorance is mind-boggling :rolleyes:

No it's not, just par for the course.

revolution
11-13-2005, 12:40 PM
I would say Andre reaching the USO final at 35, magical stuff.

LeCoach
11-13-2005, 01:19 PM
It's gotta be James Blake beating Nadal at the USO. For him to come out, with all that hype and expectation and to actually WIN the match was awesome. I think that was his moment and at the time it was pure magic.

Peta Pan
11-13-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm proud of Berdych winning his first TMS tournament. I expected him to do it at some stage, but I wasn't expecting it this year so it really made my year :)

Also proud of the gracious way Ivan accepted defeat in Madrid and Paris after such close finals. Now I just hope his day will come in TMS and Grand Slams. I've only recently become a fan so I can't really include his massive improvement this year, but I'm glad that he has improved all the same :yeah:

Lleytonisthebest
11-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I was so proud of Lleyton when he did the AO final beating all these guys in real thrillers!!

pete25
11-13-2005, 02:14 PM
To me, I was so proud of Roger winning his third consecutive Wimbledon Title with a severe straight sets win against Roddick.
I also admired both Roger and Andre in their final at the US Open.
I was so disappointed when Roger lost to Marat in the AO but what a dramatic match!! And I just could not stand Roger losing to Nadal in the French, it was terrible for me.

its.like.that
11-13-2005, 02:46 PM
shut up jez

hitchhiker
11-13-2005, 02:52 PM
federer winning everything.

i am proud robots have reached the stage where they can beat humans at sport. Still a few bugs on clay but nothing that cant be fixed with a patch.

its.like.that
11-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Andy Murray fighting at Wimbledon and USO, all other matches too!

:retard::retard:

he choked like a b*tch at Wimbledon and USO.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
11-13-2005, 03:36 PM

he choked like a b*tch at Wimbledon and USO.
Uhhmmm..... Yeah, the first two sets against Nalbandian were brilliant.
Amd then, coming back from 0-2 sets against Clement:rolleyes: In tennis, you cannot win everything:shrug:

its.like.that
11-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Uhhmmm..... Yeah, the first two sets against Nalbandian were brilliant.
Amd then, coming back from 0-2 sets against Clement:rolleyes: In tennis, you cannot win everything:shrug:

of course you can't win everything, but you don't have to choke ;).

Nalbandian was awful in the first 2 sets at wimbledon, then he only dropped 7 games in the next 3 ;).

And Clement has spent most his year playing challengers, he's hardly a highly rated player.

:kiss:

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I was proud to be Scottish when Alex Mackin put up a heroic fight in the DC against Federer :p

Horatio Caine
11-13-2005, 04:19 PM
shut up jez

:confused:

Horatio Caine
11-13-2005, 04:28 PM

:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

El Legenda
11-13-2005, 06:40 PM
federer winning everything.

i am proud robots have reached the stage where they can beat humans at sport. Still a few bugs on clay but nothing that cant be fixed with a patch.

nah, now your just trying too hard.