Juani News & Articles [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Juani News & Articles

Eugenia
11-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Here is the Juan Ignacio News & Articles thread! :D Everybody can post articles, news and interviews (obviously) about Juan. Have fun reading them! :wavey:

Eugenia
11-12-2005, 08:59 PM
2004 Estoril Open - April 18, 2004

Chela Completes Estoril Double

http://www.atptennis.com/estoril/images/150x200/chela_trophy2.jpg
Chela with his third ATP trophy.
© Joao Lagos Sports

Argentina's Juan Ignacio Chela captured his first ATP title in nearly two years after defeating Russia's Marat Safin in the final of the Estoril Open.

Chela, the No. 5 seed whose two previous titles came on clay in Mexico City in 2000 and Amersfoort in 2002, claimed the third championship of his career with a 6-7(2), 6-3, 6-3 victory over the No. 8 seed in 2 hours, 24 minutes.

"I won singles and doubles, so it's like a dream," said Chela. "It was a really tough match. I was a little bit nervous at the end and I'm really happy that I have beaten Marat. He's one of the best players in the world, so it's very important for me."

The win marked Chela's first career win against Safin, having lost all three of their previous meetings. With the win, Chela receives 35 INDESIT ATP 2004 Race points.

The victory completed a great tournament for Chela, who won the doubles title with countryman Gaston Gaudio on Saturday. He became the first player to win singles and doubles at the same tournament on the ATP circuit this year, and the second player to achieve the feat in Estoril, joining Emilio Sanchez (1990).

Chela also became the second Argentine winner at the Estadio Nacional in the last three years, after David Nalbandian captured the title in 2002.
Safin, who was attempting to become the second consecutive Russian to claim the title following Nikolay Davydenko's win last year, was appearing in the 20th final of his career and his second of the season having lost to Roger Federer at the Australian Open. Safin now has an 11-9 record in finals on the ATP circuit. He was looking to capture his first title since winning the ATP Masters Series event in Paris in 2002.

On what was a windy day in Estoril, Chela won the first three games of the final and was seemingly cruising through the opening set before Safin hit back to level matters at 3-3. In the 11th game, Safin broke Chela's serve for the second time to serve for the set, but Chela broke back immediately to force a tie-break. However, the Argentine could do nothing to stop Safin, who took the opening set in 37 minutes after winning the tie-break 7-2 when Chela served the fourth of his seven double faults to lose his first set of the tournament.

In the second set, Chela broke Safin's serve in the fifth game of the second set as the Russian made a number of unforced errors. Safin's frustration was clearly evident as he smashed his racquet and received a second warning, resulting in a point penalty at the start of the next game.

Chela then began to take control of the match, breaking Safin to love to take the second set and opened up a 3-0 lead in the decider. Although Safin got back on terms at 2-3, it was only a temporary reprieve as Chela regained the initiative and served for the championship at 5-3. Although Safin saved three match points, Chela sealed his victory when the Russian's backhand sailed long.

"There were very though conditions because of the wind," said Chela. "It looked like Marat had more trouble with that, especially in the second set, and then I took my chances. I kept my plan for the match, hitting his forehand. I knew it would be a long match so I never lost my nerve."

A disappointed Safin said: "I had my chances in the second set but I just couldn't take them. Then he got stronger and more solid. Maybe I was looking for the fast way to win. Maybe I went for too much and I put too much pressure on myself to win the second set. That's when I started to make mistakes and got more and more frustrated."

But the Russian was optimistic about the upcoming clay court season. "I have to be positive," he added. "These kind of losses, they can upset you. But I have to look at it in a positive way. I went for two and a half weeks without playing, and then I've beat Robredo in a really tough match. So I'm playing well and I think at a good level of tennis, so I'm looking forward and I'm satisfied with the way I'm playing. I have to take it step by step."

Eugenia
11-12-2005, 09:05 PM
2004 Estoril Open - April 17, 2004

Gaudio, Chela Claim Doubles Crown

http://www.atptennis.com/estoril/images/150x200/chela_gaudio.jpg
Gaudio and Chela with the doubles trophies.
© ATP

Juan Ignacio Chela followed up his singles semifinal victory by capturing the Estoril Open doubles title after teaming up with fellow Argentine Gaston Gaudio to defeat top seeds Frantisek Cermak and Leos Friedl of the Czech Republic.

Chela and Gauido maintained their 100 percent record together in 2004 with a 6-2, 6-1 victory in just 59 minutes. The Argentines are now 7-0 together this year, having captured the title in Vina del Mar - where they defeated Cermak and Friedl in the semifinal.

It is the second ATP doubles title for both Chela and Gaudio.

"It's great to win another title," said Gaudio. "We've been working a lot together and preparing very hard for the doubles, so we're very happy to have won here this year."

Chela added: "We like playing together and we would like to win one of the ATP Masters Series events."

Cermak and Friedl were attempting to capture their third title together and the fourth of their careers overall. They teamed up to win Sopot in 2002 and Casablanca in 2003 while the Estoril Open was their seventh runner-up finish. Friedl was appearing in his second doubles final this year (Costa do Sauipe w/Behrend).

In the women's doubles, Emmanuelle Gagliardi and Janette Husarova claimed the title with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Olga Blahotova and Gabriela Navratilova.

Sandra
11-15-2005, 08:28 PM
2004 Estoril Open - April 18, 2004

Chela Completes Estoril Double

http://www.atptennis.com/estoril/images/150x200/chela_trophy2.jpg
Chela with his third ATP trophy.
© Joao Lagos Sports

Argentina's Juan Ignacio Chela captured his first ATP title in nearly two years after defeating Russia's Marat Safin in the final of the Estoril Open.

Chela, the No. 5 seed whose two previous titles came on clay in Mexico City in 2000 and Amersfoort in 2002, claimed the third championship of his career with a 6-7(2), 6-3, 6-3 victory over the No. 8 seed in 2 hours, 24 minutes.

"I won singles and doubles, so it's like a dream," said Chela. "It was a really tough match. I was a little bit nervous at the end and I'm really happy that I have beaten Marat. He's one of the best players in the world, so it's very important for me."

The win marked Chela's first career win against Safin, having lost all three of their previous meetings. With the win, Chela receives 35 INDESIT ATP 2004 Race points.

The victory completed a great tournament for Chela, who won the doubles title with countryman Gaston Gaudio on Saturday. He became the first player to win singles and doubles at the same tournament on the ATP circuit this year, and the second player to achieve the feat in Estoril, joining Emilio Sanchez (1990).

Chela also became the second Argentine winner at the Estadio Nacional in the last three years, after David Nalbandian captured the title in 2002.
Safin, who was attempting to become the second consecutive Russian to claim the title following Nikolay Davydenko's win last year, was appearing in the 20th final of his career and his second of the season having lost to Roger Federer at the Australian Open. Safin now has an 11-9 record in finals on the ATP circuit. He was looking to capture his first title since winning the ATP Masters Series event in Paris in 2002.

On what was a windy day in Estoril, Chela won the first three games of the final and was seemingly cruising through the opening set before Safin hit back to level matters at 3-3. In the 11th game, Safin broke Chela's serve for the second time to serve for the set, but Chela broke back immediately to force a tie-break. However, the Argentine could do nothing to stop Safin, who took the opening set in 37 minutes after winning the tie-break 7-2 when Chela served the fourth of his seven double faults to lose his first set of the tournament.

In the second set, Chela broke Safin's serve in the fifth game of the second set as the Russian made a number of unforced errors. Safin's frustration was clearly evident as he smashed his racquet and received a second warning, resulting in a point penalty at the start of the next game.

Chela then began to take control of the match, breaking Safin to love to take the second set and opened up a 3-0 lead in the decider. Although Safin got back on terms at 2-3, it was only a temporary reprieve as Chela regained the initiative and served for the championship at 5-3. Although Safin saved three match points, Chela sealed his victory when the Russian's backhand sailed long.

"There were very though conditions because of the wind," said Chela. "It looked like Marat had more trouble with that, especially in the second set, and then I took my chances. I kept my plan for the match, hitting his forehand. I knew it would be a long match so I never lost my nerve."

A disappointed Safin said: "I had my chances in the second set but I just couldn't take them. Then he got stronger and more solid. Maybe I was looking for the fast way to win. Maybe I went for too much and I put too much pressure on myself to win the second set. That's when I started to make mistakes and got more and more frustrated."

But the Russian was optimistic about the upcoming clay court season. "I have to be positive," he added. "These kind of losses, they can upset you. But I have to look at it in a positive way. I went for two and a half weeks without playing, and then I've beat Robredo in a really tough match. So I'm playing well and I think at a good level of tennis, so I'm looking forward and I'm satisfied with the way I'm playing. I have to take it step by step."
i remember the match :angel:
I hated him afterwards :p

*Ljubica*
11-18-2005, 09:20 PM
I have already posted ths article over in Mariano Puerta's Forum - but thought people here would like to read it too. Juan is on vacation now of course, but he is still finding the time to do some charity work in Argentina. He will be taking part in a Charity Team Tennis Tournament which runs from 1st to 8th December in various different venues, and is raising money for something called "The Food Bank" which distributes food and help to disadvantaged people.

Here is an article about it (in Spanish), along with the link to the original.

http://www.atptennis.com/es/newsand...res_charity.asp

Tenistas argentinos disputan torneo benéfico

Varios de los mejores tenistas argentinos del momento suspenderán por unos días sus vacaciones para tomar parte del torneo Interclubes de Primera División. Allí se podrá seguir a Mariano Puerta, José Acasuso , Juan Ignacio Chela, Mariano Zabaleta y el ecuatoriano Giovanni Lapentti, entre otros.

El certamen, rebautizado "La Liga de Primera" a partir de la presente temporada, tendrá un fin solidario, ya que la entrada para seguir la competencia será la entrega de alimentos no perecederos, que serán destinados al Banco de Alimentos, una organización no gubernamental que ayuda a 52.000 personas diariamente.

Además de los citados profesionales, también participarán Carlos Berlocq, Mariano Hood, Sebastián Prieto, Diego Hartfield; ex jugadores como Christian Miniussi (bronce olímpico en Barcelona 92), y jóvenes promesas como Máximo González, Leonardo Mayer u Horacio Zeballos, entre otros.

El 21 de noviembre se realizará el sorteo y el torneo comenzará el 1 de diciembre, cuando se conformen cuatro zonas de cuatro equipos. Los dos mejores avanzarán a un cuadro de eliminación directa. Las semifinales y finales de esta competencia que repartirá 30.000 pesos argentinos en premios se disputarán el 7 y 8 de diciembre en River Plate. El Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, con Puerta, Chela, Hood, Zeballos y Diego Moyano en su lista de buena fe, aparece como el candidato.

Denisse
11-19-2005, 06:57 PM
thanx for that article!

Eugenia
11-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Thanks for posting the article Rosie! :)

*Ljubica*
11-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Juan will start his 2006 campaign in Australia on 2nd January - he is on the entry list for the New Generation Hardcourt event in Adelaide. Good Luck Juan.

*Ljubica*
11-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Next week, Juan will be playing in an exhibition event in Patagonia. It is called the Patagonia Open and takes place between the 2nd and 4th December. Juan Monaco and Mariano Zabaleta will also be taking part. Here is a link to an article about it (in Spanish).

http://www.rionegro.com.ar/arch200511/25/d25n01.php

Mara_M
11-27-2005, 09:29 PM
i remember the match :angel:
I hated him afterwards :p
me too :angel: !

Eugenia
12-17-2005, 02:53 PM
ESPNDeportes.com
Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/story?id=391682

Viernes, 16 de diciembre de 2005

Ganó el que se cansó menos

En un partido muy disputado, Juan Ignacio Chela superó a José Acasuso y avanzó a las semifinales de la Copa Argentina

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/2003/photos2005/0117/a_chela_v.jpg
Juan Ignacio Chela superó a José Acasuso (AP)

Por NATALIA TCHUKRAN

BUENOS AIRES (ESPNdeportes.com) - En el segundo partido de los cuartos de final de la Copa Argentina Juan Ignacio Chela venció en tres duros sets a José Acasuso por 7-5, 3-6 y 7-5.

Después de las tormentas intermitentes de la tarde, la noche se posó en Buenos Aires con una temperatura agradable. El estadio ya lucía casi completo y todo se combinaba para ver un buen partido.

La paridad dominó el primer parcial, con ambos sólidos desde el fondo. Acasuso se fortalecía desde el servicio y Chela con su aceleración de derecha.

Cuando todo hacía suponer que el set se definía en tie break, "Chucho" dio ventajas con su saque y cometió una doble falta clave que le permitió al 40° del mundo cerrar el primer set por 7-5.

Uno de los mejores puntos del torneo llegó en el arranque del segundo set, con Chela al saque. El jugador de Ciudad Evita la dejó corta en la red y el misionero la cruzó por entre sus piernas, lo que despertó una ovación en las tribunas. Ese game terminó siendo de Acasuso, que sacó provecho de la desconcentración de su rival, que entró el servicio con un par de doble faltas.

Pese a los pronósticos de partido "palo y palo", el encuentro era entretenido, con buenos toques en la red que contagiaban al público porteño.

Demasiados tiros largos Chela cooperaron para que Acasuso volviese a quebrar en el noveno game y empareje el marcador en set iguales, lo que sonaba a resultado más justo, después de lo hecho por "Chucho" en el primer parcial.

El último set bajó el nivel. Los games transcurrían sin quiebres pero con mayores errores de ambos lados. Pelotas largas, "enganchadas", golpes imprecisos. Un concierto de malas elecciones desembocó en el quiebre de Chela, que tomó ventaja en el séptimo game.

En el décimo game, cuando el de Ciudad Evita sacaba para partido, Acasuso presionó, ajustó su derecha y emparejó el parcial en cinco iguales. Sin embargo, el trámite del partido era muy inestable para ambos. Chela volvió a quebrar y encaminó el partido a su favor.

En la recta final del partido pareció que ninguno podía ganar pero tampoco ninguno quería perder. Chela terminó mejor enfocado y terminó adueñándose del partido por 7-5, 3-6 y 7-5.

"Fue un partido muy intenso y traté de estar enfocado en el final", comentó el ganador, que enfrentará a David Nalbandian.

Corina2605
12-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Another article from espndeportes.com. Juan says that at the moment he feels more comfortable on hard court than on clay court. Hope this is a good sign for the Australian summer :) Vamos Juan!

Ya está grande para el sube y baja

El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela dijo que en la pretemporada para el próximo año está "trabajando para recuperar la regularidad"

BUENOS AIRES -- El tenista argentino Juan Ignacio Chela, 40 en el ranking mundial de ATP, comentó que en esta pretemporada está "trabajando para recuperar la regularidad".
En diálogo con DyN, Chela dijo que "este año tuve demasiados altibajos y los momentos malos fueron más que los buenos. Esto es algo que no puede volver a ocurrir si quiero estar más arriba en el ranking".

Chela había estado a finales de 2004 entre los 15 mejores del mundo, pero los altibajos lo hicieron caer hasta cerca del puesto 50.

"Creo que esto pasó porque en el final de la temporada tuve muchos torneos. Hice una gira muy larga y no estoy acostumbrado a eso", explicó el jugador entrenado por Roberto Azar.

Chela contó que se perdió Wimbledon, Bastad y Stuttgart por una pubalgia "por lo que quise recuperar el tiempo perdido y lleguè muy cansado a la gira de torneos bajo techo".

Por último, comentó que actualmente se siente "más cómodo en canchas rápidas que en las de polvo de ladrillo. Me pasó el año pasado en Australia y en la gira previa al US Open y espero que no me pase en 2006 ya que quiero jugar bien en todos lados".

Eugenia
12-19-2005, 04:56 PM
^Thanks Corina! :) Juan lost his match last saturday, I couldn't watch it but it seemed a good match!

ESPNdeportes.com Sábado, 17 de diciembre de 2005

Cumplió con los pronósticos

David Nalbandian venció a Juan Ignacio Chela y avanzó a la final de la Copa Argentina donde enfrentará a Agustín Calleri

Por NATALIA TCHUKRAN

BUENOS AIRES (ESPNdeportes.com) -- Como la gran mayoría quería y esperaba, David Nalbandian alcanzó la final de la 3° edición de la Copa Argentina luego de vencer a Juan Ignacio Chela por 6-4 y 6-3.

El campeón de la Copa Masters se medirá el domingo con Agustín Calleri, que superó a Luis Horna en la otra de las semifinles.

Con Maradona alentando nuevamente a David y las tribunas del Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis casi repletas, la fresca noche de Buenos Aires fue testigo de la segunda semifinal.

El primer game del partido, con Chela al saque, ilustró de alguna manera lo que sería la tónica del set: puntos largos y muy disputados, con errores repartidos hacia ambos lados de la red.

Al número 6 del mundo se lo veía en mejor nivel que en el partido ante Juan Mónaco, rápido de reflejos, buscando buenos ángulos. Así, en el tercer game llegó el quiebre y Nalbandian sacó una ventaja de 3-1.

El parcial transcurrió entonces con largos peloteos y la combinación de un tiro ganador seguido del error más pueril. Ninguno sostenía una buena racha de golpes.

El campeón de Shangai mantenía la ventaja pero Chela resistía. Sin embargo, y pese a algún que otro momento de duda, el cordobés impuso su jerarquía y se llevó el parcial por 6-4.

En el comienzo del segundo set, el jugador de Ciudad Evita pareció vestirse de Nalbandian, con toques sutiles y buenas colocaciones que no le dieron chances al favorito del torneo.

Chela se adelantó 2-0 pero duró muy poco. Nuevamente el trámite del set se hizo imprevisible e irregular. Nalbandián quebró en el tercero, luego en el quinto pero Chela no aflojó y también doblegó el saque del cordobés, que inmediatamente volvió a quebrar.

Con el 5-3 a favor del 6° del mundo, ambos disputaron uno de los games más vistosos de la noche, con toques angulados y certeros drops.

Encontrando sus mejores golpes, Nalbandian cerró el segundo parcial y partido para cumplir con las expectativas y definir la Copa Argentina.

El festejo albiceleste ya está garantizado en la final ante Agustín Calleri, que además verá un nuevo duelo cordobés. Las apuestas están en el rey David pero el "Gordo" Calleri quiere robarle protagonismo. ¿Podrá?

Corina2605
01-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Here is an article about Juan's great win against Lleyton Hewitt in the second round of the Australian Open 2006 :)

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=399887

Publicado: jueves, 19 de enero de 2006

Su alegría más esperada

El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela disfruta como nunca del triunfo logrado sobre el australiano Lleyton Hewitt en Australia, el mejor de toda su carrera

MELBOURNE (EFE) -- El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela causó la gran sorpresa de la segunda ronda al derrotar al ídolo local y tercer favorito, Lleyton Hewitt, se tomó la revancha de la derrota sufrida ante el australiano en la tercera ronda del Abierto de Australia del 2005, y consideró este triunfo uno de los más importantes de su carrera.

Chela, jugando un extraordinario partido, se impuso por 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (8-10) y 6-2 en dos horas y 33 minutos y no sólo dejó afuera del torneo a Hewitt, sino también fuera de los primeros diez de la clasificación mundial de la ATP.

A su vez, Chela avanza a la tercera ronda del primer Grand Slam del año, donde enfrentará al belga Kristof Vliegen, verdugo del español Fernando Verdasco.

Después de un encuentro que tuvo enorme trascendencia a través del país, con un diario declarando a Chela el "enemigo público número uno", al ser consultado por EFE sobre cuál es el significado deportivo y personal de este triunfo, el argentino dijo: "La verdad que es muy importante, creo que es el mejor de toda mi carrera por jugar aquí con el ídolo local y por todo lo que había pasado el año pasado. Era un partido muy especial, que tenía muchas ganas de ganarlo".

Sobre si la victoria la tomó como una revancha, Chela manifestó: "Sí la verdad que el año pasado, después del partido me había ido muy mal de acá, y este año, cuando vi el cuadro pensé que era duro por tocarme Hewitt en segunda. Pero para ganarle había que estar en la cancha y fue una alegría muy grande lograrlo".

"Si me preguntaban antes de empezar el torneo a quién le quería ganar en la cancha central, habría dicho a Hewitt. La verdad que se me dio y estoy disfrutando mucho este momento", añadió Chela.

Respecto a la campaña negativa de la prensa local, Chela señaló que evitó leer los diarios para no desconcentrarse del encuentro y para no ponerse nervioso antes del mismo.

Translation (it's far from perfect, but I tried my best..):

His most hoped joy

Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela enjoys his victory against Australian Lleyton Hewitt in Australia as never, it was the best victory of his career

MELBOURNE (EFE) -- Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela caused the great surprise of the second round by defeating local idol and third seed Lleyton Hewitt. He took revenge of the suffered loss against the Australian in the third round of the Australian Open in 2005 and considered this triumph as one of the most important of his career.

Chela, playing an extraordinary match, won 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (8-10) and 6-2 in two hours and 33 minutes and did not only put Hewitt outside of the tournament, but also out of the top ten of the ATP world ranking.

At the same time, Chela advances to the third round of the first Grand Slam of the year, where he will face Belgian Kristof Vliegen, conqueror of Spanish Fernando Verdasco.

After an encounter that had enormous significance through the country, with a newspaper declaring Chela the "public enemy number one", the Argentine said: "The truth is that this triumph is very important, I believe this is the best win of my career, playing here against the local idol and because of everything that happened last year. It was a very special match which I wanted to win very much".

Asked if he sees this victory as a revenge, Chela declared: "Yes, the truth is that last year, after the match, things went badly from here, and this year, when I saw the draw, I thought it was difficult having to play Hewitt in the second round. But to win the match, you need to be on court and it was a great joy to achieve it".

"If they asked me before the start of the tournament who I wanted to beat on central court, I would have said Hewitt. The truth is that it happened and I am enjoying this moment very much", added Chela.

With respect to the negative campaign in the local press, Chela indicated that he avoided to read the newspapers, since he didn't wanted to get distracted and nervous before the encounter.

Eugenia
01-26-2006, 08:01 PM
I have a lot of articles and interviews from the 2006 Australian Open. I'm going to post some of them, if you want more just left a message here! ;)

Eugenia
01-26-2006, 08:04 PM
2006 Australian Open Interview: Juan after his victory over Andy Murray

Juan Ignacio Chela
Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Q. Did you expect more from Andy Murray today?

JUAN IGNACIO CHELA: (Translated from Spanish) I thought it was going to be a tougher match, but I think I played very well from the first point until the end. I think I played better tennis today. That's why I won.

Q. Last year Andy Murray played David Nalbandian. Did you speak to Nalbandian's coach for help at all?

JUAN IGNACIO CHELA: (Translated from Spanish) No, I didn't know that Andy had played against Nalbandian.

Q. A number of players in the tournament have struggled for a couple of sets before they got it together. Do you feel like you're ready from the first ball?

JUAN IGNACIO CHELA: (Translated from Spanish) Last weeks I had that problem, but here I'm feeling very well. I'm feeling that I have no problem. The moment I went into the court, I felt my game, and everything was smooth. I think I played very well.

Q. If Lleyton Hewitt survives, what is your view on the incident that everybody made a big thing of last year?

JUAN IGNACIO CHELA: (Translated from Spanish) I'm aware of what happened last year. From that point of view, could be a special match.

But every match is different. If I have to play against him, I will try to come into the court very well. I will play my match. That will be everything. Nothing else.

Link: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2006-01-17/200601171137489912385.html

Eugenia
01-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Hewitt Bids Farewell, Federer Keeps Cruising
by Jason Phelan
Thursday, 19 January, 2006

Roger Federer's grip on the Australian Open 2006 trophy tightened on Day Four with his projected semi-final opponent, Australian No.3 seed Lleyton Hewitt, dramatically bowing out to Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela.

The feature match of the Twilight Session on Rod Laver Arena between Hewitt and Chela was much-anticipated due to their memorable encounter in last year's tournament, but the contest was more noteworthy for injury management for both players as Hewitt was eliminated 4-6 4-6 7-6 (10/8) 2-6.

The Australian appeared strangely subdued throughout the match, quietening the parochial crowd. Hewitt was troubled by a virus leading into the tournament and required medical attention during the second set, but only for a foot complaint.

In a nervous start to the match, both players lost their opening service games. It signalled a trend with seven of the first 16 games becoming service breaks, but it was Chela who eventually gained the upper hand - only losing the third set in a tie-break before serving it out in the fourth.

The Argentine received medical treatment to his leg during the final set and, despite restricted movement, managed to hang on for victory.

With Hewitt's illness and early exits from lead-in tournaments, he did not have the best preparation for the Open, but apart from his foot complaint he said he felt good out on court.

"I was giving it everything I had out there, I just wasn't up to it tonight," Hewitt said.

"I felt like my ball striking got better and better as the match went on - it's probably the best I've struck the ball throughout the whole Australian summer.

"It's just a bit disappointing not having those matches before in Adelaide and Sydney to maybe be hitting the ball a bit better coming in."

[...]

Link: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2006-01-19/200601191137647936428.html

Eugenia
01-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Chela shocks bitter rival Hewitt in Melbourne

By Paul Tait

MELBOURNE, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Third seed Lleyton Hewitt was ousted 6-4 6-4 6-7 6-2 by bitter Argentine rival Juan Ignacio Chela in the second round of the Australian Open on Thursday.

The night match failed to produce the expected fireworks after last year's spiteful third-round clash when Chela was fined for spitting in the Australian's direction.

Hewitt, the losing finalist in 2005, needed treatment including pain killers for a foot injury in Thursday's third set and recovered to force a tiebreak, which he won 10-8.

Unseeded Chela made no mistake in the final set, clinching victory with a whipped forehand service return on his first match point after almost 3-1/2 hours on court.

"It's the biggest (win) of my career. He's a good fighter, and in Australia in front of all the public, it was very special," Chela said through an interpreter.

"When I got onto the court I was just thinking about the tennis match and not about what happened last year."

HEWITT STRUGGLING

Hewitt has failed to make the third round of a grand slam only once since 2002, at Wimbledon in 2003 when he was defending champion.

The 24-year-old has been struggling to regain form after missing the last two months of the 2005 season with leg and foot injuries, and following the birth of his first child.

His loss to Chela followed early departures in warm-up events in Adelaide and Sydney.

Chela dragged Hewitt into long rallies and benefited from points gifted by wild forehands from the Australian. Hewitt also struggled with his serve.

The Australian said he hurt his foot in the fifth game of the third set.

"I was down two sets when it happened. Basically, I had to change my whole movement because of it," Hewitt said.

"Whenever I landed on my left foot, I was history."

Hewitt is renowned for his doggedness, and Chela proved he could also dig deep by saving seven set points in the third before Hewitt was able to force the match to a fourth set.

The lanky Chela, whose whipped backhand earned him 23 winners, broke Hewitt early in the second game of the final set and held on despite needing treatment for cramps in his thighs as the match wore on.

SERVICE BREAK

Chela, 26, has never made it past the third round in Melbourne and his best performance at a grand slam was reaching the quarter-finals of the French Open in 2004.

He began strongly, stunning the capacity crowd at the Rod Laver Arena by breaking Hewitt in the opening game.

Hewitt broke back immediately before Chela gained the advantage with another break off a forehand error by the Australian in the seventh game.

The pair traded two early service breaks in the second set before Chela gained the advantage in the ninth game with a pinpoint forehand winner.

Hewitt held a 3-0 lead in the third set before Chela broke back in the fifth game, at which point the Australian called for treatment on his foot injury. He had his foot taped two games later and returned to take the set into a tiebreak.

"I was giving everything I had out there. I just wasn't up to it tonight," Hewitt said.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-openhewitt_picture&prov=reuters&type=lgns/

Eugenia
01-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Se va con un buen sabor

El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela, pese a su eliminación en los octavos de final de Australia, está contento por la gran actuación que cumplió en el certamen

MELBOURNE (EFE) -- El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela, eliminado del Abierto de Australia en octavos de final por el alemán Nicolas Kiefer, manifestó que, pese a la derrota, se va contento con su desempeño en el primer Grand Slam del año.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/2003/photos2006/0120/a_Chelajuego_h.jpg
AP
Chela no pudo con Kiefer, pero se va feliz

Chela, al que un medio de prensa de este país lo catalogó como "enemigo público número uno" antes del partido con el australiano Lleyton Hewitt por los hechos sucedidos el año pasado en el encuentro de tercera ronda con el tenista local, fue el verdugo de éste en la segunda ronda del Abierto al vencerlo 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (8-10) y 6-2. Una victoria para el argentino que fue su revancha de la derrota del año pasado, y un triunfo que consideró como uno de los mejores de su carrera.

Ahora Kiefer jugó un gran partido y dejó al argentino afuera del torneo.

Después de la derrota, al ser consultado por EFE qué fue lo que sucedió ante Kiefer, Chela dijo: "La verdad que no me sentí muy cómodo. Al comienzo él sacó muy bien, muy fuerte, y me costaba mucho devolver. De cualquier manera, en el primer set tuve oportunidades que no supe aprovechar, fundamentalmente cuando estábamos 4-4, con Kiefer sacando 0-40. Si hubiera quebrado allí, quizá habría cambiando la historia".

"Pero después fueron pasando los sets, el tomó confianza y cada vez me constaba más mantener mi saque. Me quebró varias veces y allí estuvo la diferencia", añadió Chela.

"No sé cuál era su nivel antes, pero hoy jugó muy bien. Más que nada, sacó muy bien y yo tuve pocas oportunidades. Siempre me sacaba abierto o a la "T", pero muy fuerte, y además también voleó muy bien", continuó Chela.

Sobre si se sintió bien físicamente, Chela manifestó: "Me sentí muy bien, es más, mejor que el partido anterior. Creo que llegué más entero y muy recuperado. No sentí que me faltara energía o potencia. Quizá se viera así de afuera por la forma en que él jugó", destacó Chela.

"De cualquier manera me voy contento y con un balance positivo porque hacía tiempo que no jugaba tan bien. Y, además, llegué a los octavos de final de este Grand Slam", concluyó Chela.

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=401014

Eugenia
01-26-2006, 08:24 PM
And I can't forget about the Davis Cup, because Juani is a member of the team that will face Sweden in Buenos Aires! :bigclap:

Una sorpresa no tan inesperada

El capitán argentino de Copa Davis confirmó a Nalbandian, Gaudio, Chela y Calleri para la serie del 10 al 12 de febrero ante Suecia; Coria se quedó afuera

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/2003/photos2006/0120/a_Chelafesteja_v.jpg
AP
Juan Ignacio Chela festeja en Melbourne

BUENOS AIRES (AP) -- Guillermo Coria quedó al margen del equipo argentino que recibirá a Suecia del 10 al 12 de febrero por la primera ronda de la Copa Davis, se informó el martes.

El capitán Alberto Mancini se decidió por David Nalbandian, el mejor jugador argentino del momento, Gastón Gaudio, Agustín Calleri y Juan Ignacio Chela, según informó en un comunicado la Asociación Argentina de Tenis.

Justamente Chela se ganó un lugar tras alcanzar los octavos de final del abierto australiano y dar la sorpresa al dejar en el camino al ídolo local Lleyton Hewitt en segunda ronda.

[...]

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=401631

Corina2605
01-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks Eugenia :)

I am really happy for Juan being part of the DC tie against Sweden. It's much deserved :) Do you have the chance to go and see the tie live, Eugenia?

Corina2605
01-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Btw, I just saw that Juan is out of Vina. Do you know why? Hope he is okay!!!

*Ljubica*
01-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Btw, I just saw that Juan is out of Vina. Do you know why? Hope he is okay!!!
He has a problem with his shoulder Corina - sorry I don't know how serious it is - maybe a couple of weeks :sad:

Corina2605
01-28-2006, 01:46 PM
He has a problem with his shoulder Corina - sorry I don't know how serious it is - maybe a couple of weeks :sad:

Gracias, I just read the article. Very sad, hope Juan recovers quickly!

Eugenia
01-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Gracias, I just read the article. Very sad, hope Juan recovers quickly!

I didn't know anything about his shoulder... Maybe he wants to rest and start training with the DC team instead of playing in Viña. ;)

lau
02-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Interview in Clarín today ;) Sorry only in Spanish. I really don´t have time to translate it...

link: http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/02/09/deportes/d-06001.htm

"Cuando jugás la Davis, la responsabilidad es mayor"

Tiene 26 años, está 46º en el ranking mundial de la ATP y vuelve a la Copa después de tres años. Lucha, con José Acasuso, para ser el segundo singlista frente a Suecia. Y reconoce que la camiseta argentina "pesa".

Marcelo Maller.
mmaller@clarin.com

Este 2006 empezó diferente para Juan Ignacio Chela. Dio muestras de su personalidad para ganarle a Lleyton Hewitt en su casa, pese a todo lo que se habló de él allá en Melbourne. Y ahora es uno de los cuatro jugadores que integra el plantel argentino de Copa Davis. Es más: está peleando cabeza a cabeza con José Acasuso para conseguir el lugar como segundo singlista.

El Flaco, de 26 años, que está delante de Clarín a metros del vestuario del Parque Roca, es el mismo que jugó por última vez en esta competencia hace tres años, cuando derrotó en River al alemán David Prinosil. En su campaña copera lleva cuatro triunfos y cuatro derrotas, en presentaciones de singles. Relajado y tranquilo, y a la espera de la confirmación del capitán, el 46º del ranking mundial se sentó y habló.

—¿Cómo estás hoy si te toca jugar el viernes?

—Estoy muy bien. Cuando volví de Australia y a medida que fui jugando en polvo de ladrillo, me fui sintiendo más cómodo. Ya tengo varios días de entrenamiento y estoy bien.

—¿Y el tema de la ansiedad y los nervios?

—Estoy muy tranquilo, aunque no sé si juego o no. Sé que estuve trabajando bien. Después de todo lo que viví en Australia con el partido de Hewitt, acá estoy mucho más sereno. Allá sí tenía ansiedad y nervios, jugaba de visitante total.

—¿Qué lugar ocupa la Copa Davis en un jugador de tenis? Comparalo con la Selección de fútbol.

—No se puede comparar. El Mundial es cada cuatro años y la Davis, todos los años. Pasa mucho por el momento del jugador. Acá se critica cuando un jugador no quiere estar o por equis motivo no quiere jugar. Agassi, Moya y Federer, por ejemplo, no la juegan y no sé si a ellos se los critica. Creo que la Davis es muy desgastante. Si ya jugaste varias y tus objetivos son ser número uno del mundo o top ten, depende de cada uno. A lo mejor no jugás la Copa Davis para darle prioridad a tu calendario.

—¿Y cuáles son tus metas?

—Meterme de nuevo entre los veinte primeros. Pero yo no tengo ningún problema en jugar la Davis; a mí me encanta. Pero me gusta organizarme, tener tiempo. Porque me pasó una vez que me estaba yendo de vacaciones y me llamaron para jugar. Eso es lo que no me gusta.

—Contra Suecia parece un match accesible. Aunque si uno lo piensa un poco, no lo es tanto...

—La gente dice Suecia no tiene chances, y yo no lo veo así. Mas allá de quién juegue para Argentina, Johansson ganó un Grand Slam, fue top ten y por más que diga que ésta no es su superficie preferida, tiene mucho timming y va a ser duro para el que lo enfrente. Y Soderling, también. En Hamburgo le ganó a David; o sea que es peligroso. Bjorkman es uno de los mejores doblistas. Argentina es favorita, puede ganar los puntos, pero también se puede complicar.

—Estuviste por última vez en el 2003 y volvés a la Davis ahora. ¿Cuáles son las diferencias entre aquel Chela y éste?

—Tengo más experiencia en el circuito. Pero estuve en otras series con más confianza y con otro ranking. Se hace difícil comparar cuatro años para atrás.

Dice también que, cuando Alberto Mancini lo llamó en Australia, tomó la chance "con muchas ganas. En esta serie se da todo justo, porque ahora empieza la gira de clay y eso no te desorganiza nada. Me borré de Viña del Mar, pero es solo un torneo y fue con gusto.

—¿Pesa la camiseta celeste y blanca?

—¿En el momento de jugar decís? ¿A la hora de entrar a la cancha? Sí, pesa, son partidos especiales. Es mucho más grande la responsabilidad que sentís cuando jugás la Copa Davis que cuando afrontás cualquier compromiso del circuito.

Eugenia
02-12-2006, 07:52 PM
12 Feb 2006 - Parque Julio A. Roca, Buenos Aires, ARG - Eduardo Puppo - ARG v SWE

Argentina completes whitewash victory

At the culmination of the third day of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas, Argentina closed the tie against Sweden with a dominating 5-0 defeat. The Argentines will now look ahead to April’s quarterfinals, where they will meet title-holders Croatia on away ground.

The fourth rubber on Sunday went easily to Juan Ignacio Chela, who overpowered Thomas Johansson 64 61 in just over 56 minutes. The Swedish player wasn’t at his best and faced an inspired and motivated opponent who never allowed him to bounce back.

At the press conference Chela said: “It`s been an honour to play the match today and score one more point for Argentina. I believe the next opponents we meet in Croatia will be challenging but I am confident that we will do well especially after the excellent results revealed just recently in Australia on quick surface.”

Shortly after, Davis Cup debutant Jose Acasuso crushed Jonas Bjorkman 60 61.

In the fifth tie Acasuso proved once more his current physical and technical prowess. More had been expected of Jonas Bjorkman's performance today, particularly as he was chosen to wrap up this final tie in face of such an overpowering Argentine victory.

Bjorkman attacked his opponent's serve constantly but faced a difficult hurdle: Acasuso didn't have any problems effectively using his sharp passing shots, unfolding his game at its best today.

At the net Bjorkman greeted Acasuso with a smile after 54 minutes, revealing the dignified play that is most definitely the spirit held in Davis Cup by BNP Paribas.

Croatia v Argentina preview

There is very little history between the two nations. Only once did they meet in April 2002 at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club on red clay where the home team won 3-2. At that tie, Gastón Gaudio, Juan Ignacio Chela, Guillermo Cañas and Lucas Arnold were nominated to play for their country.

The tie was decided in the fifth rubber after the visiting team came from behind, having lost both previous singles matches. Ivanisevic and Ljubicic won the doubles and Ljubicic went on to beat Chela to take the fourth point. Responsibility was on Gaudio to close the tie and he successfully downed Ivo Karlovic 64 64 62.

This time things look very different. Even though the professional experience of the players is at its highest, there is a significant advantage for the home team due to the surface of the court.

Despite this, the captain of the Argentine team, Alberto Mancini, revealed that he was very pleased with David Nalbandian’s latest performance on the quick court and announced that he would be escorting the team to Croatia. Mancini is hopeful that Guillermo Coria and Gaston Gaudio will overcome their injuries in time for the quarterfinals so that, irrespective of the preference the home team may have for the court surface, a team comprising of three top ten players will intimidate.

The Argentine team watched the course of the tie between Croatia and Austria with great interest this weekend, with the hope that they would meet Austria in April on home ground. It was a possibility that was not ruled out so easily, as two of the matches were long and drawn out, and closed by a very narrow margin.

Too bad it didn´t turn out for the home team.

Link: http://www.daviscup.com/news/matchreport.asp?id=13660

Eugenia
02-12-2006, 07:56 PM
El domingo, un trámite

Argentina finalmente derrotó a Suecia por 5-0 como local y así superó el debut para instalarse en los cuartos de final del Grupo Mundial de Copa Davis

Por Gustavo Goitía
ESPNdeportes.com

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/2003/photos2006/0212/chela_412x232.jpg
EFE - Chela ganó su partido bien temprano

BUENOS AIRES (ESPNdeportes.com) -- Asunto sellado. Con otra paliza, para el delirio de la gente y la satisfacción del equipo, se cerró un nuevo capítulo en la Copa Davis. Y fue fácil, mucho más de lo previsto. Es que Argentina finalmente derrotó a Suecia por 5-0 como local y así superó el debut para instalarse en los cuartos de final del Grupo Mundial.

José Acasuso, Nº 33 del mundo, reciente campeón del Abierto de Chile y muy confiado tras su aplastante victoria del viernes en su debut "copero", arrolló a Jonas Bjorkman (65º) por 6-0 y 6-1 en sólo 51 minutos y así se liquidó la eliminatoria en Buenos Aires, en el nuevo estadio del Parque Roca, sobre una cancha de arcilla muy lenta, que favoreció a los dueños de casa y le dio un dolor de cabeza tremendo a los visitantes.

Un rato antes, Juan Ignacio Chela (46º) aplastó a Thomas Johansson (13º) por 6-4 y 6-1 en apenas 52 minutos y así había puesto el 4-0 parcial. Y como si hiciera falta algo más para redondear un fin de semana inolvidable, fue Acasuso entonces el encargado de ponerle el moño a una eliminatoria de esas que en los papeles parecía más exigente, pero la realidad dejó en evidencia una supremacía enorme de la superpotencia del tenis latinoamericano.

PARA LA HISTORIA
De esta manera, Argentina coronó otro rotundo 5-0, como lo hizo en las tres anteriores eliminatorias "coperas" como local. Y así prolongó su gran marca en casa y sobre su aliado polvo de ladrillo, ya que se impuso en ocho de los últimos nueve encuentros por ese marcador. Esto muestra el poderío en esa superficie, apoyado por el público, que también juega a favor. En esas condiciones, los visitantes, más allá de ser potencias consolidadas y reconocidas, sufren demasiado.

De hecho, los anteriores en padecer un 0-5 en Argentina habían sido, también en la elite de los 16 mejores equipos del planeta, República Checa, Rusia y Alemania. Antes también lo vivió en carne propia Australia. En fin, nuevamente liderados por David Nalbandian, el cuarto del mundo y campeón del Masters 2005, los locales son cosa seria. y eso que esta vez no actuaron los especialistas en arcilla Guillermo Coria (aunque por bajo nivel) y Gastón Gaudio (lesionado).

Sin dudas que ningún rival quiere visitar a Argentina en arcilla, con lo que eso significa. Por eso, en contrapartida, ahora será durísimo el compromiso por los cuartos de final, en Croacia, sobre una superficie de carpeta sintética muy veloz y bajo techo, frente al campeón. Allí Nalbandian jugará un single y el dobles, mientras ya se debate sobre sus posibles compañeros.

Así, Argentina, que viene de trepar a las semifinales en tres de los últimos cuatro años, tendrá un compromiso por demás difícil, pero con la fe intacta y sabiendo que ya es una potencia de esas que imponen un respeto extremo en cualquier lugar del mundo. Por eso la alegría de la gente que llenó una vez más las 10.000 localidades del Parque Roca. Por eso la felicidad por el deber cumplido. Y con un margen de esos que causan sensación.

DOS VERDADEROS TRÁMITES
En ambos triunfos del domingo se conjugaron dos cosas fundamentales para que Argentina aumentara su diferencia con una enorme facilidad: la confianza de Chela y Acasuso y el pobre nivel de Johansson y de Bjorkman sobre arcilla. Ese cóctel, en el que el dueño de casa aprovechó la energía positiva de la victoria ya consumada en la serie con la victoria del dobles del sábado, fue determinante para ver jugadores en niveles opuestos y dos resultados imponentes.

Chela, pese a que no había sido elegido finalmente por el capitán Alberto Mancini para un single del viernes, ya que optó por Acasuso, aportó ahora su granito de arena para, además, dejar favorable su récord personal en la Davis. Es que ahora el argentina suma cinco triunfos (cuatro en series ya definidas, como éste) y cuatro derrotas.

Así, con un peso y profundidad de pelota muy buenos, con una solidez imponente y una convicción y tranquilidad para resolver los intercambios desde la base, Chela fue muy superior a un Johansson, que para nada se parece en polvo de ladrillo al tenista que rinde muchísimo más en canchas rápidas y por algo fue el campeón del Abierto de Australia del 2002 y hoy figura 13º en el ránking de la ATP.

Hay un dato que pinta de cuerpo entero el desenvolvimiento habitual de Johansson en esta superficie lenta y pesada y es que nunca pudo superar la segunda rueda en Roland Garros, el Mundial de arcilla. Sin ir más lejos, en su triste paso por Buenos Aires, ahora el sueco únicamente obtuvo diez games sumando la caída aplastante frente a Acasuso en la jornada inaugural y ahora esta derrota ante Chela (en total, cedió los cinco sets).

En cambio, Chela, que trepó hasta los cuartos de final del Abierto de Francia del 2004, llegaba agrandado por su magnífica tarea en el primer Grand Slam del 2006, donde eliminó nada menos que al ídolo local Lleyton Hewitt en el Abierto de Australia, para llegar finalmente a los octavos de final. Por eso fueron tan disímiles las labores de uno y otro, siendo el local el dominador absoluto de un choque que ya en el segundo set perdió emoción y se vio que el final llegaría rápidamente.

Sólo hubo partido hasta el 4-4 del primer capítulo. Allí quebró Chela, que sumó siete games en forma consecutiva. Recién con el 0-4 en contra, el sueco volvió a mantener una vez su saque. Pero fue sólo eso lo que lo salvó de una seguidilla de games perdidos. Así Chela, que no perdió su servicio en todo el encuentro, coronó una actuación muy firme y sin fisuras.

Y luego lo de "Chucho" Acasuso contra Bjorkman (Nº 4 del mundo en dobles) fue aún más impactante. Es que directamente no hubo equivalencias. No necesitó el local dar lo mejor de sí, ya que se vio beneficiado por un adversario que hizo muy poquito, sin regularidad desde el fondo ni mostrando sus atributos ofensivos. Es un jugador de riesgo en canchas rápidas, pero que disminuye mucho en esta superficie.

Eso se vio claramente en este quinto punto. El argentino hizo muy bien los deberes y no hubo lucha en ningún momento. Apenas Bjorkman pudo mantener su saque en el primer game del segundo set. Antes y después -en realidad, en todo momento-, lo de Acasuso fue saques ganadores, palazos desde la base y una pelota muy pesada que lastimó al europeo por todos lados. Y fue final. Demoledor, aplastante y para guardar en la memoria. Vale la pena disfrutarlo.

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=408350

Eugenia
02-16-2006, 03:52 PM
La alegría no fue completa

Juan Ignacio Chela lamentó la lesión de su rival-amigo Luis Horna pero expresó su satisfacción por haber avanzado a octavos en Buenos Aires

BUENOS AIRES (ESPNdeportes.com) -- Contento por la victoria pero apenado por la lesión de su amigo Luis Horna, quien tuvo que abandonar al cierre del primer parcial, Juan Ignacio Chela expresó sus sensaciones tras el debut en la edición 2006 de la Copa Telmex.

"No sabía que estaba mal, me di cuenta en el segundo game cuando lo vi caminar lento. Somos muy amigos y la verdad es que me hubiese gustado ganar de otra manera", confesó el argentino que al tiempo se mostró satisfecho por ya estar en los octavos de final.

A propósito de Potito Starace, su próximo rival, el jugador de Ciudad Evita, provincia de Buenos Aires, adelantó: "Es un rival peligroso, con buen saque y buena derecha".

Chela expresó que se siente "motivado" y con ganas de volver a jugar bien en polvo. "Por suerte, todo se me está dando bien", expresó el jugador.

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=409075

lau
02-17-2006, 12:12 AM
:sad:

Bajo un calor extenuante, el Flaco mostró un gran nivel en el primer parcial y estuvo a tres puntos de la victoria en el tie break del segundo set. Pero una gran reacción, tanto física como en su juego, le permitió a Starace dar otra sorpresa en el torneo.

Chela dixit

* "Físicamente estaba bien, pero no tenía aire. Cuando tenía que devolver el saque no tenía energía y encima estaba fatigado".

* "Hoy el clima me perjudicó, jugué en el peor horario. Seguramente si hubiera jugado a la noche el cansancio no hubiera sido el problema, pero tampoco es excusa, porque el también jugó con la misma temperatura".

* "Tuve mis oportunidades para cerrar el partido en el segundo set, pero no las supe aprovechar. Ya en el tercer set estaba muerto y no tuve reacción".

complete article: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/coberturaespecial/canaltenis/nota.asp?nota_id=781227&origen=acumulado&acumulado_id=

Eugenia
02-18-2006, 01:54 AM
^Thanks Lau! :hug:

Here is another article:

Momento de autocrítica

Juan Ignacio Chela dijo que "el calor no es excusa porque era igual para los dos", al aceptar su derrota ante el italiano Potito Starace en la Copa Telmex

BUENOS AIRES (DyN) -- El tenista argentino Juan Ignacio Chela dijo hoy que "el calor no es excusa porque era igual para los dos", al aceptar su derrota ante el italiano Potito Starace que le valió la eliminación en los octavos de final de la Copa Telmex que se juega en el Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club.
"El calor era igual para los dos y no puedo ponerlo como excusa de mi derrota. Me voy triste", admitió Chela, a pesar de que se despidió de la competencia en una jornada en la que a la hora del partido la sensación térmica superaba los 35 grados.

"Físicamente estaba bien, pero no podía respirar entre punto y punto. Cuando salía del cambio de lado estaba con más energía, pero cuando me tocaba devolver me sentía muy fatigado", contó el tenista argentino sobre sus vivencias dentro de una cancha que hervía.

Eso sí, Chela aclaró que le tocó jugar en el peor horario: "Como Starace tiene que jugar dobles también fuimos a las dos de la tarde. Yo creo que si jugaba de noche por ahí podría haber cambiado la historia".

Chela consideró que, más allá de las dificultades que generó la temperatura, dejó pasar situaciones favorables para ganar el partido en el que finalmente fue superado por 3-6, 7-6 y 6-2.

"Tuve mis oportunidades y no las pude aprovechar con varios breaks points, y en el tie break estaba 2-0 arriba y me comí una volea relativamente fácil y terminé de complicarme", reconoció el tenista bonaerense.

Cuando se le preguntó cómo encaró el set final, Chela fue muy sincero: "En el tercero estaba muerto. No tenía chances".

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=409903

Eugenia
03-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Chela está muy feliz de haber llegado hasta la final

Con la alegría a flor de piel

El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela, Nº 45 del mundo, se mostró muy contento por haber alcanzado la final del torneo ATP de Acapulco

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/2003/photos2006/0303/a_Chelafesteja_v.jpg
AP - Chela está contento por llegar hasta la final

ACAPULCO (EFE) -- El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela, número 45º del mundo, aseguró que el joven español Nicolás Almagro tiene todo para brillar en el tenis, pero esta vez se desesperó y por eso lo derrotó en la semifinal del Abierto de Acapulco.

"Tiene un potencial enorme con muchos dotes; le pega muy fuerte a la pelota y si se ordena un poco más, llegará lejos", pronosticó Chela, luego de derrotar a Almagro, por 6-2 y 6-2.

Chela aclaro que aunque el marcador sugiere un triunfo fácil, no fue así porque Almagro, originario de Murcia, jugó muy bien en los finales de cada set.

"Tuve la ventaja de romper servicios en el arranque de cada set y estuve mejor a la hora de definir puntos; esa fue la clave", aseveró el jugador, campeón en Acapulco en el año 2000.

Al referirse a ese título, lo calificó de especial en su vida porque llegó de la clasificación, se entrenaba con el padre de su compatriota Mariano Puerta y le tocó enfrentarlo en la final.

"Gracias a aquel torneo me metí entre los 100 del mundo, ahora son condiciones diferentes, no hay altura sobre el nivel del mar y tengo más experiencia", declaró Chela, vencedor del australiano Lleyton Hewitt en el Abierto de Australia de este año.

"Ese partido fue un empujón de inicio de año", aseveró el argentino, que pronosticó un partido muy duro mañana en la final porque tanto su compatriota Gastón Gaudio como el peruano Luis Horna tienen altísimo nivel.

"Son parecidos, amigos míos y los conozco; los dos juegan al fondo de cancha, Gastón con un gran golpe de revés y Horna con gran habilidad de ambos lados y buen servicio", concluyó.

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=415207

Eugenia
03-04-2006, 02:00 PM
March 4, 2006

ACAPULCO, Mexico (AP) -- Luis Horna of Peru rallied to upset second-seeded Gaston Gaudio of Argentina 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 in the semifinals of the Mexican Open on Friday.

Horna will face Juan Ignacio Chela of Argentina in the championship Saturday. Chela swept Nicolas Almagro of Spain 6-2, 6-2 in the semis.

Gaudio, ranked No. 8 in the world, jumped out to a 5-2 lead and held on to win the first set, but Horna played well the rest of the match.

"I felt the game turn in that first set," Horna said. "By the third, my whole body hurt but that was no excuse to stop fighting."

Chela, who dominated his match from the start, said the final score was misleading.

"The result made it look like it was an easy game but on the court it didn't feel that way," Chela said. "Almagro started off making some errors but by the end of the second set he was playing very good tennis."

Chela has not played in a tournament final since he beat Marat Safin 6-7 (2), 6-3, 6-3 for the Estoril Open title in April 2004.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AsGhy03nAaAh6QW4UHmaZ8E4v7YF?slug=ap-acapulco&prov=ap&type=lgns

Corina2605
03-05-2006, 07:35 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2006/acapulco_saturday.asp

Horna Upsets Chela in Acapulco for First Career Title

Peruvian Luis Horna captured the first title of his career, upsetting No. 7 seed Juan Ignacio Chela of Argentina 7-6(5), 6-4 Saturday night at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel tournament in Acapulco.

The 25-year-old Horna's only other final appearance came at Long Island in August 2004, where he lost to Lleyton Hewitt.

Horna's victory over Chela, 26, represented his second upset in as many days. He upended No. 2 seed Gaston Gaudio Friday.

With Saturday's win, Horna avenged his loss two weeks ago to Chela in Buenos Aires. That was their first ATP level match. The Peruvian No. 1 has an INDESIT ATP Ranking of 68. Chela is ranked 45. Horna improved his 2006 record to 9-5.

Chela, who won this tournament in 2000, dropped to 3-4 for his career in finals. He last trumped the field at Estoril in 2004. This was his first final since then. Chela's record for the year fell to 10-6.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Horna: “ Winning your first title is an important moment in your career, and winning it at such a great event as Acapulco is even better. No doubt that I will always remember this moment. “

“The key in today’s match was that I was fit, after the long match I had yesterday, and that I served really well. I also had a little luck in the important moments which helped me to close the points.”

“Indian Wells and Miami are coming up next. I don’t expect anything there, I just want to play my best tennis and no doubt that this week in Acapulco is great for my confidence.”

Chela: “I am still very happy, this has been a great week for me. I think Luis played a great match. I had my chances in the first set, I was up a break on two occasions.”

“Today I lost against a great player and a great friend, and I am glad he earned his first career title against me in the final.”

“I am leaving on Monday for Indian Wells and Miami. My goal is to be in the Top 20, and I now have to get used to hard court again because there are many important tournaments coming up on this surface. Hopefully I can win a few matches there.”

Eugenia
03-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks Corina!!! :hug:

Eugenia
03-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Miami Player Interviews

Day 7: Tuesday, March 28, 2006

J. BLAKE/J. Chela
4‑6, 6‑1, 6‑0
An interview with:

JUAN IGNACIO CHELA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. We'll have just one comment in English for everyone who's watching upstairs. Your comments on the match.

JUAN IGNACIO CHELA: Okay, in the beginning I start playing very good, but he's very strong. He's playing very good. He's very confident now.

In the beginning of the second set, he broke my serve and he just start playing better. He was very aggressive all the match.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

Link: http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/news/2006/interviews/0328i.html

Eugenia
05-22-2006, 08:33 PM
EspnDeportes.com - Jueves 18 de mayo de 2006

El Flaco ya se trazó un objetivo

El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela quiere estar entre las mejores 30 raquetas del mundo cuando finalice el torneo francés de Roland Garros

http://espndeportes-att.espn.go.com/2003/photos2005/0818/r_Chelajuego_v.jpg
Reuters
El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela ya se marcó una meta

BUENOS AIRES (DyN) -- El tenista argentino Juan Ignacio Chela, 39 del listado mundial de ATP, señaló que "una vez que termine Roland Garros me gustaría verme entre los 30 primeros del mundo".

El tenista que definió el quinto punto de la serie ante Croacia hace algo más de un mes, por el momento no está entre los 32 preclasificados para el Abierto de Francia.

Precisamente sobre la serie de Copa Davis, Chela dijo que "el partido que gané fue un punto muy importante, muy difícil, a la otra semana tuve que jugar Montecarlo y no estaba bien adaptado a la superficie. Espero que esa victoria me venga bien anímicamente hablando".

Chela señaló que hizo hincapié en el trabajo fisico para aguantar encuentros más largos.

A la hora de hablar sobre su entrenador, Roberto Azar quien lo entrena hace un año, Chela destacó que "'Tim' puede estar mil horas en la cancha, estamos trabajando en el juego ofensivo: el es de hablar mucho y yo escucho. Viajamos mucho, creo que eso es lo más difícil, pero la relacion es buena y la convivencia también".

Por último y consultado sobre como se le gana en polvo de ladrillo al fenómeno de Rafael Nadal, Chela fue sincero: "No tengo ni idea". Par aluego agregar que "es muy difícil, y no digo ninguna novedad, supongo que hay que atacarlo, tomar la iniciativa. En las finales de Montecarlo y Roma, contra Federer, el suizo jugaba profundo, lo apretaba y Nadal lo pasaba desde atrás como si nada".

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=440696

RogiFan88
07-22-2006, 02:02 AM
Hey, if you get the Tennis Channel, they have a

No Strings: Juan Ignacio Chela

Argentina is one of the hottest tennis playing countries in the world - 10 Argentines are in the top 100. Juan Ignacio Chela is one of the hottest tennis stars from that country. We see him in his native city, Buenos Aires, and see him work with his charity where he helps underprivileged kids from one of the most impoverished areas in Buenos Aires. He is moving to a new apartment with his girlfriend, and we go shopping at a store with them to find the perfect furnishings. Finally, we go out at night in an area of Buenos Aires called Las Canitas, which is a hip downtown area. At dinner he is joined by fellow Argentine Guillermo Canas, and his closest friends.
http://www.thetennischannel.com/programs/EpisodeDetail.aspx?id=1472

Eugenia
09-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Los elegidos para hacer historia

David Nalbandian, José Acasuso, Agustín Calleri y Juan Ignacio Chela formarán parte del equipo argentino de Copa Davis en semifinales

ESPNdeportes.com

BUENOS AIRES -- David Nalbandian, José Acasuso, Agustín Calleri y Juan Ignacio Chela formarán parte del equipo argentino que desde el día 22 de este mes se enfrentará al de Australia en las semifinales de la Copa Davis, según portavoces de la Asociación Argentina de este deporte.

Los cuatro tenistas, que serán confirmados el próximo martes por el capitán Alberto Mancini, son los mismos que en las fases anteriores de la competición derrotaron a Suecia y Croacia, el último campeón.

Nalbandian ocupa el cuarto puesto en el escalafón de la ATP Tour, Acasuso el número 27, Calleri el 28 y Chela el 37.

La serie se disputará sobre arcilla, en el nuevo estadio del Parque Roca, de la capital argentina, con capacidad para 14.000 personas.

En tanto, todavía no está definido el conjunto australiano, siendo la principal duda si jugará o no su estrella, Lleyton Hewitt, ex Nº 1 del mundo.

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=477826

Eugenia
10-17-2006, 12:06 AM
ESPNDeportes.com - Lunes 16 de octubre de 2006
Se tiene muchísima fe

Juan Ignacio Chela dijo que se ve nuevamente en el equipo argentino de Copa Davis, que definirá el título en Rusia, a principios de diciembre

http://espndeportes-att.espn.go.com/2003/photos2006/1010/a_Chelafesteja_v.jpg
AP
Chela se imagina otra vez en el cuarteto copero

MADRID -- Juan Ignacio Chela apura el final de la temporada 2006 con la mirada puesta en los torneos de Madrid y París, pero especialmente en la final de la Copa Davis que Argentina va a disputar frente a Rusia en Moscú, a principios de diciembre.

"Creo que tengo opciones de estar en esa final. Es mi principal objetivo. Es un momento histórico para los argentinos, para todos. Yo me veo en el cuarteto", indicó Chela.

Chela formó parte del equipo argentino a lo largo del año: estuvo consecutivamente en las eliminatorias frente a Suecia, Croacia y Australia. Y ahora enfila la final en Moscú.

"No somos favoritos, eso está claro. Rusia cuenta con una de las mejores generaciones de tenistas de los últimos años. Pero nosotros también. Hemos estado cerca y ahora, por fin, hemos vuelto a estar próximos a un título que se resiste a Argentina", indicó el tenista de Buenos Aires, de 27 años.

Argentina suspira por la Copa Davis por segunda vez en su historia. La otra fue en 1981, cuando el equipo liderado por Guillermo Vilas y Jose Luis Clerc perdió en Cincinnati contra el de Estados Unidos.

En los últimos años ha quedado a orillas del título. Ha sido semifinalista cuatro veces en el lustro reciente. "Lo que ya hemos logrado ha sido histórico. Disponemos de una camada de jugadores extraordinaria, que buscaba una situación así. Acudimos a Moscú sabiendo que tenemos opciones aunque las circunstancias lo van a hacer complicado. Hemos resuelto eliminatorias a domicilio. En cualquier lugar y cancha podemos ganar", indicó Chela.

El jugador sudamericano aventura que Rusia esperará a Argentina sobre una superficie rápida. Eso aumenta las opciones del bonaerense de contar como uno de los componentes del equipo individual.

"David Nalbandian es el único fijo del cuarteto. Eso está claro. Estoy seguro de que nos van a poner una superficie muy rápida y en ese sentido creo que mis posibilidades son mayores que si se jugase en arcilla. Tengo mis opciones y me haría mucha ilusión estar allí", concluyó Chela.

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=491529

Eugenia
10-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Chela: 'Sin los mejores, todos podemos ganar en París'

París, 31 de octubre (Télam, especial).- Juan Ignacio Chela, el único argentino que sigue adelante en el torneo de París, admitió su satisfacción por haber superado hoy al tailandés Paradorn Srichaphan y consideró que sin la presencia de los mejores tenistas del mundo, todos tienen chances en el último Masters Series del año.

"El torneo está abierto para todos porque no juegan los mejores, aunque igual es difícil ya que el nivel es demadiado parejo", analizó el 'Flaco' Chela en diálogo con Télam, en la rueda de prensa posterior a su presentación en el imponente complejo de París Bercy.

El argentino se permitió ilusionarse tras cumplir una buena presentación y por las ausencias en París del número uno del mundo, el suizo Roger Federer, del español Rafael Nadal, el croata Ivan Ljubicic y el estadounidense Andy Roddick, entre otros.

El tenista nacido en Ciudad Evita, ubicado en el puesto 33 del ranking mundial de la ATP, avanzó hoy a la segunda ronda del torneo con premios por 2.082.000 euros, tras vencer por 6-3, 3-0 y abandono al tailandés Paradorn Srichaphan (49) al cabo de 43 minutos.

El tailandés acusó permanentemente dolores de cabeza y recibió asistencia médica durante el primer set, hasta que decidió abandonar en el segundo cuando perdía 3-0.

"No entendí muy bien que tenía, dijo que estaba mareado y que le dolía un oído. Me puso contento ganarle pero me hubiera gustado terminar el partido, ya que me sentí muy cómodo en la cancha y creo que estaba jugando realmente bien", reflexionó Chela, quien había perdido con el tailandés la semana pasada en Basilea.

Chela jugará su próximo partido mañana ante el escocés Andy Murray (19), a quien venció la única vez que se enfrentaron, este año en el abierto de Australia, aunque luego el británico elevó muchísimo su nivel al punto de ser considerado uno de los tenistas que más progresó durante esta temporada.

"Será un partido muy difícil, pero me motiva saber que ya le gané este año y tengo buenas sensaciones para enfrentarlo, ya que hasta yo mismo me sorprendí de lo cómodo que me sentí en esta superficie", explicó el argentino. En la rueda de prensa de Chela hubo varios periodistas escoceses interesados por conocer más de quien será mañana el oponente de Murray, y le preguntaron al argentino si consideraba "distinto" a su rival. "Es un jugador muy completo, que evolucionó mucho durante este año, pero no creo que sea diferente. En el tenis actual, solo Federer es diferente a todos", sentenció Chela.

El tenista nacido en Ciudad Evita fue atentamente observado ante Srichaphan por Alberto 'Luli' Mancini, el capitán del equipo de Copa Davis de la Argentina que entre el 1 y 3 de diciembre próximos jugará la final ante Rusia, en Moscú.

"Me encantaría ser el segundo singlista. Está claro que David (en alusión a Nalbandian) es el número uno indiscutible del país, pero después de él creo que tengo chances, muchas mas que si la final se jugara en polvo de ladrillo", se ilusionó el único argentino en París, tras la sorpresiva derrota que sufrió ayer José Acasuso (26) ante el belga Christophe Rochus (68).

Eugenia
10-31-2006, 07:08 PM
ESPNDeportes.com - Martes 31 de octubre de 2006
Es una oportunidad única

El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela busca en el Masters Series de París convencer a Alberto Mancini para estar en la final de la Copa Davis

http://espndeportes-att.espn.go.com/2003/photos2006/0918/a_ManciniChela_h.jpg
AP
Chela quiere convencer a Mancini en París-Bercy

PARIS (EFE) -- El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela, que se clasificó para la segunda ronda del Masters Series de París-Bercy, afirmó que espera hacer una buena actuación en la capital francesa para convencer al capitán de Copa Davis, Alberto Mancini, de que lo convoque para la final de la competición, en Rusia.

"Mancini está aquí y eso me da opciones de que me vea jugar, me motiva", aseguró Chela tras vencer al tailandés Paradorn Srichaphan, obligado a retirarse por un problema de oído cuando el marcador le era desfavorable 6-3, 3-0 y se habían disputado 43 minutos de juego.

Chela confesó que le encantaría jugar la final de Moscú y señaló que al no disputarse en tierra batida sus opciones de ser seleccionado son mayores, aunque reconoció que su compatriota David Nalbandian tiene ventaja para disputar los individuales.

"Está claro que la cancha en la que se disputará la final no es la preferida por los argentinos, pero hemos demostrado que somos capaces de ganar en cualquier superficie, incluso en césped", afirmó Chela, quien señaló que Rusia es favorita pero el pronóstico "no está claro".

Aunque "por historia" aseguró que Marat Safin es el principal rival ruso, el argentino dijo que "el número uno" de sus rivales será Nikolay Davydenko, quinto del mundo.

Chela afirmó que el equipo argentino está buscando alguna ciudad europea que tenga una pista similar a la que servirá de escenario a la final para preparar el desplazamiento a Moscú.

Unico superviviente argentino del torneo de París-Bercy, tras la eliminación ayer del misionero José Acasuso por el belga Christophe Rochus (4-6, 7-6 y 6-4), Chela se mostró confiado en llegar lejos en la capital francesa aunque avisó de la dificultad de su próximo duelo, que le medirá al británico Andy Murray, decimotercer favorito.

Los dos jugadores sólo se han medido en una ocasión, durante el pasado Abierto de Australia en el que el bonaerense impuso su ley en tres sets: 6-1, 6-3 y 6-3.

"Pero desde entonces muchas cosas cambiaron, él mejoró mucho y será un partido diferente. Ganó muchos partidos y está entre los 20 mejores", afirmó.

Sobre el partido contra Srichaphan, Chela aseguró que le hubiera gustado terminar el encuentro, aunque reconoció que lo importante es avanzar ronda. "Me ganó la semana pasada en Basilea (6-4 y 6-3), pero ahora lo vi con muchos problemas físicos. Me dijo que tenía algo en el oído, como que se mareaba", afirmó Chela.

Link: http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=496770

Corina2605
10-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks Eugenia. Hope Juan keeps winning in front of the eyes of the DC coach this week :)

Eugenia
11-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Yesterday Juan was watching Mariano Zabaleta vs. Galdon match at the Vilas Club, he was with his girlfriend, and Gastón Gaudio, Chucho Acasuso and Franco Davin were there too, among others. I was there too! :)

Corina2605
11-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Really? I think its so nice the boys are supporting each other, Mariano needs lots of support now.

Tell us more about the tournament. Did you have fun?

Eugenia
11-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Really? I think its so nice the boys are supporting each other, Mariano needs lots of support now.

Tell us more about the tournament. Did you have fun?

Yes, it was great!!! :bounce: I saw a lot of players that I had heard of, and it was a great experience to see them "live"! :yippee: I saw Diego Hartfield (who is in my avatar :drool: ), Diego Junqueira, Mariano Zabaleta, Leonardo Mayer, Eduardo Schwank, Maximo Gonzalez, Brian Dabul, Sergio Roitman, Daniel Koellerer :crazy:, Cristian Villagran, Fernando Vicente, Juan Antonio Marin, Adrian Garcia and more. :) I went on Monday and Tuesday, and I'm planning to go again on friday, saturday and sunday (Sunday is confirmed! I have my ticket to see the finals!) :D

reiko
11-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi!
I am not a frequent visitor here - but hope you guys don't mind me dropping by sometimes.

Yesterday Juan was watching Mariano Zabaleta vs. Galdon match at the Vilas Club, he was with his girlfriend, and Gastón Gaudio, Chucho Acasuso and Franco Davin were there too, among others. I was there too! :)

Just how nice to hear things like this... Thank you for letting us know, Eugenia. Enjoy your weekend!

Eugenia
11-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi!
I am not a frequent visitor here - but hope you guys don't mind me dropping by sometimes.

Just how nice to hear things like this... Thank you for letting us know, Eugenia. Enjoy your weekend!

No prob Reiko! You can post here as you wish! :D And thanks for your comments... I'm going tomorrow to watch the singles final between Martin Vassallo Arguello and Willy Cañas. I'm very excited! :bounce:

Hendu
11-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chela is going to play the most important match of his life, and none of his fans are saying anything?

:o

Va el Flaco

Juan Ignacio Chela será el segundo singlista ante Rusia. "No es oficial, pero nosotros ya lo sabemos", contó Agustín Calleri, quien jugará el dobles del sábado junto a David Nalbandian. El de Ciudad Evita disputará el segundo punto frente a Nikolay Davydenko, a quien le ganó las cinco veces que se enfrentaron. Arranca el viernes.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/diario/2006/11/29/um/thumb/chela.jpg

Finalmente y como se preveía, Juan Ignacio Chela será el segundo singlista argentino en la final de la Copa Davis ante Rusia, que se jugará en Moscú entre el 1º y el 3 de diciembre próximos. De esta manera, El Flaco de Ciudad Evita acompañará a David Nalbandian, quien ayer le había manifestado al capitán Alberto Mancini que prefería a Agustín Calleri en su lugar.

La confirmación llegó luego un diálogo entre Calleri y Canal 13: "No es oficial, pero nosotros ya lo sabemos". El Gordo también se refirió a los supuestos problemas entre Mancini y Nalbandian y le puso paños fríos a la cuestión. "No pasó nada, están contando cosas que no existen. El clima es bueno, el equipo está unido. No hay problemas, no hay discusiones. Somos un equipo y la intención es ganar", contó.

La historia comenzará con el choque entre Nalbandian y Marat Safin, quienes disputarán el punto inicial de la final. A continuación, Chela se medirá con Nikolay Davydenko, a quien el argentino le ganó en las cinco ocasiones en que se enfrentaron: Amsterdam 2001, Roma 2002, Kitzbuhel 2003, New Haven 2005 y este año en Cincinnati. La decisión pudo haber pasado fundamentalmente por la mejor adaptación de Chela a las superficies rápidas.

Nalbandian, por su parte, tiene un historial ampliamente desfavorable ante Safin, quien le ganó seis de las ocho veces que se enfrentaron. El ruso lo venció en Montecarlo, Roland Garros, París y Copa Davis en 2002, Madrid 2004 y US Open 2006. El argentino le ganó en Roland Garros 2004 y la última vez que jugaron, este año en el Masters Series de Madrid.

En tanto, en el punto del dobles que se jugará el sábado, el equipo argentino presentaría a la dupla cordobesa integrada por Nalbandian y Calleri.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=01318412&fecha=20061129

Corina2605
11-29-2006, 07:43 PM
I am here and I was happy to read that Juan was picked to play the second single match (even if it's not official yet) :) Vamos Juan!!!

reiko
11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
And I also am here. Good luck to him and his team mates!

Btw, something else. We have an up-and-coming player named NISHIKORI - who won RG Junior Doubles with E. Massa this year. This boy named Chela as his favorite player. Well, nothing special but I loved his choice.

Corina2605
12-01-2006, 05:24 PM
What a nice story, thanks for sharing Reiko :)

Sommarsverige
12-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I am not a frequent writer here either, but I hoped so much that Chela would win against Davydenko.
Well, hopefully he will win his single on sunday :worship:

Vamos Argentina :yeah:

Corina2605
12-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Here is an article from Clarin dated 15 December 2006.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/12/15/deportes/d-07601.htm

The article is about the meeting of Alberto Mancini, the Argentine tennis players and their coaches to talk about Davis Cup next year that took place this week.

There are three new things about Juan in this article.

- Juan's new coach is Mariano Monachesi

- Juan won't play Davis Cup next year

- Juan won't be host of tenispro next year

Looks like Juan wants to focus on his ranking next year. Good luck to him!!

Eugenia
12-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Sábado 23 de diciembre de 2006 - Diario La Nación
Noticias | Deportiva | Tenis | Entrevista
Chela vive una nueva etapa

El jugador de Ciudad Evita ratificó que en 2007 no va a integrar el equipo de la Copa Davis, ya que pretende darle prioridad a su carrera

Al regreso de la final de la Copa Davis, con el dolor de la derrota en Moscú a cuestas, Juan Ignacio Chela empezó a madurar una decisión. El jugador surgido en Ciudad Evita, a los 27 años, decidió dar un paso al costado en el equipo nacional y les otorgará más relevancia a sus giras, en busca de mejorar su posición en el circuito internacional.

No es la primera vez que Chela elige salir del equipo. En la última oportunidad, en abril de 2004, el Flaco conquistó el torneo de Estoril al mismo tiempo que la Argentina caía por un rotundo 0-5 sobre la carpeta de hielo de Minsk, frente a Belarús, en una serie marcada por muchas ausencias. El historial marca que disputó nueve series, con un saldo de seis triunfos y cinco derrotas, todas en singles, desde aquel debut ante Canadá (1-4), en abril de 2000, hasta la derrota frente al ruso Nikolay Davydenko en la final de la Ensaladera, en el estadio Olímpico moscovita.

Por estos días, Chela está en plena pretemporada en Pacheco, donde se prepara para la primera gira del año, que comenzará en Auckland, para luego participar del Abierto de Australia, el primer Grand Slam de 2007. El nuevo panorama incluye más variantes. Chela dejó de trabajar con Roberto Tim Azar y desde hace algunas semanas tiene como entrenador a Mariano Monachesi, que regresó a nuestro país tras cumplir su etapa con el español Tommy Robredo. Hay más: el Flaco también confirmó que no va a seguir con el programa de televisión Tenis Pro, que lo tiene como protagonista, junto con Mariano Zabaleta.

En medio de los entrenamientos, Chela se dio una vuelta por el Parque Roca para probar los nuevos courts de cemento y conocer la escuela que dirige José Luis Clerc; allí conversó con LA NACION y expuso los motivos de su determinación y del impulso que pretende darle a su carrera.

-¿Ya asimilaste todo lo que viviste en la final de la Copa Davis?

-Sí; al principio estaba con un poco de bronca, porque perdimos ahí nomás, de una manera muy ajustada; no pude dar mi punto... Pero ahora que pasaron unos días, lo veo como algo positivo. Hacía 25 años que la Argentina no llegaba hasta ahí; fue la segunda vez en la historia, y haber sido parte de eso es muy bueno.

-¿No vas a jugar la Davis en 2007?

-No, quiero darle prioridad a mi calendario. Este año fue muy duro con los viajes, y ahora no quiero tener todo ese movimiento de nuevo, por eso prefiero enfocarme en mi carrera.

-Estás viviendo un período de cambios...

-Sí; ahora también empecé a trabajar con Monachesi. Yo había tenido una muy buena temporada con él, y lo contraté para seguir mejorando.

-¿Estás conforme con lo que hiciste en la temporada que terminó?

-Considero que el balance ha sido bastante positivo. En cuanto al ranking, por ahí fue un año más; no fue muy diferente de otras temporadas: terminé 33º. Creo que lo más positivo fue llegar a la final de la Copa Davis; entiendo que fue una de las cosas más importantes de mi carrera.

-¿Esperabas rendir más?

-No sé si esperaba más. Creo que el ranking fue bueno, pero no estoy seguro de que haya sido mi mejor año.

-¿Y qué te planteaste para el año próximo?

-No quiero presionarme en alcanzar un número de ranking, pero voy a hacer todo lo posible para llegar lo más lejos posible. Soy bastante regular en mi juego, pero siempre tengo un momento del año en que me caigo y no gano muchos partidos. También suelo llegar a tercera rueda y octavos en los Grand Slams y a cuartos de final en los Masters Series, pero ahora quiero superar esa barrera para subir más en el ranking. Tengo muy claro lo que quiero, porque soy bastante trabajador y profesional.

56 partidos disputó Chela en 2006, con 29 victorias y 27 derrotas. Fue finalista en Acapulco (perdió con Horna) y Kitzbühel (cayó ante Calleri), y llegó a octavos de final en Australia.

Por José Luis Domínguez
De la Redacción de LA NACION

Link: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/869843

Haile Selassie
12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Gracias por la nota Eugenia :kiss: :wavey:

La verdad que me sorprendio la autocrítica de Juan Ignacio, mucha suerte para el 2007 y esperemos que puedas cumplir con los objetivos previos.

Lo que también me llama la atención es su "no" para la Copa Davis, aunque creo que cada jugador es libre de elegir y si el piensa que no le es favorable para su calendario por algo será.

Eugenia
02-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Chela: "Vengo a meterme entre los finalistas y, si es posible, conquistar el titulo"
09/02/2007 - 17h40

Costa do Sauipe (Brasil) - Con la expectativa de conquistar el título del abierto de Brasil, que se realiza en el balneario de Costa de Sauipe, inició esta tarde sus preparativos el tenista argentino Juan Ignácio Chela.

El transandino arribó anoche al complejo turístico localizado en el litoral de Bahia, región norte de Brasil, y practicó durante 1 hora y media, en la cancha principal del moderno complejo, junto a su técnico Mariano Monachesi.

Ubicado en la 39a posición en el ranking de entradas, Chela es uno de los cinco argentinos que ingresarán directo a la llave principal del mayor torneo de América Latina, que distribuye 456 mil dólares mil dólares en premios y 175 puntos para el ranking de la ATP.

Al término del entrenamiento, Chela elogió el estado de la cancha, indicando además, que se encuentra en perfectas condiciones físicas y sin mayores inconvenientes para adaptarse al piso:"Mis expectativas son las de meterme entre los finalistas y si es posible vencer. Me gustaría mucho conquistar un título aca en Brasil", indicó.

Chela integró el equipo que disputó la final de la Copa Davis ante Rusia, el año pasado y se mostro feliz por lo que están haciendo sus compañeros en Áustria, em la apertura de la serie, donde Acasuso y Cañas vencieron sus primeros encuentros:

"Pienso que es um resultado altamente positivo. Todavia no se puede decir nada , pero es muy bueno comenzar venciendo . Más aún jugando como visitante. Estoy um contento , principalmento por Guillermo (Cañas), quien ha vencido todo lo que ha disputado en su regreso a las canchas", expresó.

Para Chela los grandes rivales serán los españoles Juan Carlos Ferrero, Carlos Moya y su compatriota Gaston Gaudio: "Todos ellos estan jugando en un excelente nivel y este tipo de superficie les acomoda mucho", concluyó

Chela debe estar en la llave principal que será sorteada mañana. Los otros argentinos son Agustin Calleri, Sergio Roitman, Gaston Gaudio, Juan Monaco, y Martin Vassallo Arguello.

Link: http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/ultnot/eng/ult1083u69.htm

Eugenia
02-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Chela supera a español y provoca otro duelo entre argentinos
17/02/2007 - 08h26

Costa de Sauipe (Bahía) - El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela se clasificó para los cuartos de final del Abierto de Brasil, que se realiza en el Complejo de Costa de Sauipe, localizado en el litoral de Bahía. Chela superó al español Rubén Ramirez Hidalgo, en un encuentro que fue suspendido por la lluvia, cuando vencia por 3 games a 0. En el reinicio de las acciones, el cabeza de llave número 6 se impuso por 6/2 y 6/3, en 1 hora y 18 minutos.

La victoria de Chela, provocó un segundo enfrentamiento entre argentinos ya que deberá medirse con Juan Monaco, quien eliminó al sorprendente Thiago Alves.

Apesar del marcador, Chela estimó que fue un partido complicado no solamente por la paralización: "El marcador no refleja lo que sucedió en la cancha, porque fue un partido muy intenso y disputado. Por suerte conseguí mantener el ritmo después de la paralización por la lluvia".

Con respecto a su próximo rival, el talentoso argentino manifestó que será un partido interesante y sin condiciones de anticipar un prognostico: "Nos conocemos mucho. El está jugando muy bien. Tiene mucho ritmo. En muy rápido y no puedo dejarlo tomar la iniciativa", sostuvo.

Chela fue uno de los indicados por Guillermo Vilas parta llegar a la final, lo que acabó recibiendo muy bien: "Que lindo. Vilas fue el mejor jugador de todos los tiempos de Argentina y cuando habla hay que escucharlo, porque es un grande. Aun así no me siendo favorito, pero trataré de no fallarle", indicó.

En caso de vencer a Monaco, Chela deberá jugador dos encuentros en mismo día,para lo cual se dice preparado: Vamos a ver lo que sucede en el primer partido y si no es tan duro. Pero en todo caso estoy preparado", concluyó.

En caso de superar a Monaco, Chela deberá enfrentar a otro argentino, que saldrá del enfrentamiento entre Guillermo Cañas y Agustín Calleri, quienes están en la llave de abajo.

Link: http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/ultnot/eng/ult1083u88.htm

Corina2605
02-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Juan's post match interview of today. He sounds very positive and motivated :)

Chela: "Pasar este partido fue muy importante"

Chela el primer argentino clasificado en cuartos

22 de Febrero del 2007

“Se sentía mucho el calor, pero me sentí bastante bien, estoy cansado pero para mañana yo voy a estar bien.”

“Estoy conforme con el triunfo y contento, pasar este partido fue muy importante. Nunca jugué contra él, sus pelotas eran pesadas y altas, me tiraba para atrás, se me hacía complicado tomar la inciativa y ganar los puntos.”

“Mi balance es muy positivo, estoy jugando bien, ayer jugué muy bien también lo mas importante es ganar, y gracias a eso estoy en cuartos.”

“Gastón no esta pasando por un buen momento, pero sigue trabajando duro como lo hacía cuando ganaba y en cualquier momento se le va a dar. No creo que deje, jugar al tenis es lo que le gusta hacer”

“El séptimo game del tercer set fue clave él (Igor Andreev) tuvo muchas chances de quebrarme, pero me mantuve y lo saqué adelante, eso me dio fuerzas para salir a jugar el octavo game con todo y pude quebrar y sacar para el partido.”

“Hasta ayer tenia dudas acerca del round robin, hoy me parece que es un desastre, lo que le paso a Ferrero es insolito, me parece ridiculo. Para mi en el tenis ganás o perdés.”

“La etapa con Mariano Monachesi es muy importante, me está sirviendo mucho. Yo ya había trabajado con él, se dio que él había terminado con Tommy Robredo y yo con Tim Azar. Estamos los dos muchos más maduros y con más experiencia”

Copa Telmex

Link: http://www.copatelmex.com/novedad.php?id=53

Eugenia
03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Acapulco 2007 - Entrevistas

Estoy listo para el siguiente encuentro: Chela

http://abiertomextenis.com.mx/noticias4/noticias_81.jpg

Acapulco, Gro., 1 de marzo.- El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela se encuentra muy contento por haber obtenido el pase a la ronda de semifinales del Abierto Mexicano Telcel, presentado pos HSBC.

Este jueves tuvo que disputar más de tres horas de partido para quedarse con uno de los boletos para las semifinales, pero aseguró que mañana (hoy) estará recuperado para el encuentro contra su compatriota Agustín Calleri.

"Empecé el año ganando muchos partidos y estoy con mucha confianza y muy conforme con mi nivel. Ahora estoy muerto, la verdad. Pero tengo que comer bien, dormir, estoy bien entrenado, preparado. Voy a estar recuperado".

Comentó que una de las cosas que siempre procura es concentrarse en todo el partido, ir punto por punto. "En estos partidos tan largos, tan duros, siempre hay oportunidades".

Finalmente, explicó que para vencer a Calleri, tendrá que jugarle profundo, ya que Agustín es un jugador con mucha iniciativa y un juego potente.

Link: http://abiertomextenis.com.mx/entrevistas_11.html

Eugenia
03-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Tengo posibilidades de ganar: Chela

Acapulco, Gro., 2 de marzo.- El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela admitió que hubiera preferido llegar a la final del Abierto Mexicano Telcel de otra manera (no por retiro de su rival), aunque ahora que está en esa fase, tratará de aprovechar su oportunidad para hacerse del título, que se le escapó el año pasado.

"Me da tristeza más que nada porque somos amigos (él y Agustín), no sé qué tan grave esté… prefería ganar de otra manera, me tocó así, lo lamento por él".

Explicó que Calleri estaba haciendo un gran partido, con un alto porcentaje de efectividad en su primer servicio, con saques a más de 200 kilómetros por hora. "Físicamente yo estaba bien, no es que haya jugado peor que ayer (jueves) sino que él estuvo muy acertado".

Dijo que este torneo le gusta mucho, porque le ha ido bien y siente que tiene probabilidades de ganar.

Link: http://abiertomextenis.com.mx/entrevistas_13.html

Eugenia
03-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Tuve la suerte del campeón: Chela

http://www.abiertomextenis.com.mx/noticias4/noticias_104.jpg

Acapulco, Gro-. 3 de marzo.- ¡Por fin gané en Acapulco! dijo el argentino Juan Ignacio Chela, momentos después de proclamarse campeón del Abierto Mexicano Telcel, presentado por HSBC luego de vencer al español Carlos Moyá.

"Este triunfo es muy importante para mí, hacia varios años que no ganaba nada… creo que tuve la suerte del campeón", expuso el argentino, quien se instaló en la final tras el retiro de su compatriota Agustín Calleri.

"Este sin duda es el torneo más importante para mí, lo gané en el 2000 y gracias a ello pude estar por primera vez dentro de los 100 primeros del mundo, y ahora gano acá, es muy especial".

Chela es el único jugador que tendrá el logro de haber ganado este certamen, primero en el DF y ahora en Acapulco. "Por suerte jugué mi mejor tenis, saqué bien, estuve concentrado, muy sólido. Si él (Moyá) tomaba la iniciativa, era peligroso con la derecha".

El argentino tiene como objetivo para este año mejorar su ranking, y ha dejado algunas cosas de lado para conseguirlo, como renunciar a jugar la Copa Davis, y un programa de TV.

Link: http://www.abiertomextenis.com.mx/entrevistas_15.html

liptea
06-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Hey, if you get the Tennis Channel, they have a

No Strings: Juan Ignacio Chela

Argentina is one of the hottest tennis playing countries in the world - 10 Argentines are in the top 100. Juan Ignacio Chela is one of the hottest tennis stars from that country. We see him in his native city, Buenos Aires, and see him work with his charity where he helps underprivileged kids from one of the most impoverished areas in Buenos Aires. He is moving to a new apartment with his girlfriend, and we go shopping at a store with them to find the perfect furnishings. Finally, we go out at night in an area of Buenos Aires called Las Canitas, which is a hip downtown area. At dinner he is joined by fellow Argentine Guillermo Canas, and his closest friends.
http://www.thetennischannel.com/programs/EpisodeDetail.aspx?id=1472

it was so cute, i just saw it last night. he and his girlfriend are really, really adorable.

Haile Selassie
06-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Una exhibición de lujo

David Nalbandian y Juan Ignacio Chela disputarán un partido exhibición el 11 de julio próximo en el estadio

Los tenistas David Nalbandian y Juan Ignacio Chela disputarán un partido exhibición el 11 de julio próximo en el estadio de la sede santafesina de la Universidad Tecnológica Nacional, en la costanera de esta ciudad. En la misma jornada, el ex tenista José Luis Clerc, junto a su staff de profesores, brindará una clínica para todos los chicos que pertenecen a las escuelitas de tenis de la Liga de Tenis del Litoral Argentino.

La superficie será sintética, y previamente al encuentro entre Nalbandian y Chela, programado para las 20.30, se disputarán partidos entre jóvenes promesas del tenis local y además cotejos entre parejas integradas por "Batata" Clerc y "memorias" del tenis santafesino.

La clínica a cargo de Clerc se desarrollará entre las 10 y las 13 del miércoles 11 del mes próximo. Tras el almuerzo, continuará de 15 a 18. En tanto, a partir de las 18 se jugarán encuentros de dobles al mejor de tres sets, el último en un súper tie-break entre cuatro de los "futuros" del tenis santafesino.

Luego de un show coreográfico, a las 19.30 comenzarán a jugar las "memorias" del tenis santafesino junto a Clerc.

A las 20 se llevará a cabo un acto con entrega de distinciones especiales, y media hora más tarde se disputará el single principal entre Nalbandian y Chela.

Corina2605
10-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Juan will start the 2008 season in Perth, playing the event with his friend Gisela Dulko :) Here is the article:

http://ar.sports.yahoo.com/21102007/21/noticias-deportes-argentino-chela-jugar-copa-hopman-junto-gisela-dulko.html

Argentino Chela jugará Copa Hopman junto a Gisela Dulko
(domingo 21 de octubre, 6:32 AM)

BRISBANE, Australia (Reuters) - El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela integrará el equipo de su país en la Copa Hopman 2007, el torneo mixto por parejas que se disputará en diciembre en la ciudad australiana de Perth.

Chela integrar el equipo junto a Gisela Dulko, que participará del torneo por tercera vez en su carrera.

El equipo de Argentina se suma a los ya anunciados de India, Serbia, República Checa y Francia de un total de ocho que participarán de la competencia.

El director del torneo, el ex tenista Paul McNamee, dijo que deseaba que un equipo de Sudamérica estuviera representado en la Copa Hopman.

"Existen tan pocos eventos donde los hombres y las mujeres pueden jugar codo a codo," dijo McNamee.

"Sudamérica tiene un número importante de grandes jugadores masculinos y una fantástica tradición en el tenis, pero las mujeres no son tan comunes," agregó el director del torneo.

"Gisela Dulko es la única mujer en Sudamérica entre las 50 mejores. Juan está teniendo un año fantástico y nunca ha estado en Perth antes, así que nos da la oportunidad de presentar a otro jugador top 20," señaló.

La Copa Hopman comienza en 29 de diciembre y se disputa hasta el 4 de enero, y es considerado un evento importante previo al Abierto de tenis de Australia.

Eugenia
10-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Juan and Gisela!!! :inlove: I really enjoy Hopman Cup and I'm loving the ARG team for next year!!! :yippee:

Here is the article in English ;)

South America Join Hopman Field
21/10/2007

The global stature of the Hyundai Hopman Cup has been underlined with the announcement today that Argentina, represented by Gisela Dulko and world number 16 Juan Ignacio Chela will join India and the three European nations of Serbia, Czech Republic and France in the Hopman field to celebrate it’s 20th year.

Juan Ignacio Chela is having a sensational year climbing back into the world top 20 after winning in Acapulco and the World Team Cup in Dusseldorf, a semi final appearance in Stuttgart, quarter final in Rome, Auckland, Buenos Aires along with quarter finals appearances on the hard courts in Indian Wells, Miami and the recent US Open. He joins a talented men’s field, which includes World number 3 Novak Djokovic, Tomas Berdych, Gael Monfils and Mardy Fish.

His partner, the striking Gisela Dulko is familiar to the Hopman crowds as she heads back to Perth for her third visit. This time however, she comes with two tournament titles and a career high ranking of 37 after victories at Forest Hills and Budapest in 2007. She previously partnered Guillermo Coria and French Open champion Gaston Gaudio.

McNamee explained the reason for inviting Argentina, “The Hyundai Hopman Cup is the ITF International Mixed Teams Championship so it is a goal to have all the continents represented. So few events exist where men and women can play side by side. South America has a number of great male players and a fantastic tennis tradition but the women are not so common – Gisela Dulko is the only South American woman in the top 50. Juan is having a fantastic year and hasn’t been to Perth before so he gives us the opportunity to showcase another top 20 player!”

The Hopman Cup, widely regarded as the most prestigious invitational tennis tournament in the world, looks forward to celebrating its 20-year milestone at this year’s event.

Other Hyundai Hopman Cup XX teams previously announced: (ranking in parenthesis)

Serbia - Novak Djokovic (3) and Jelena Jankovic (3)
Czech Republic – Tomas Berdych (10) and Lucie Safarova (22)
France – Gael Monfils (41) and Tatiana Golovin (18)
India – Rohan Bopanna (238) and Sania Mirza (29)
Argentina – Juan Ignacio Chela (16) and Gisela Dulko (37)
The Hyundai Hopman Cup will be played at the Burswood Dome from 29 December 2007 – 4 January 2008.

Link: http://www.hopmancup.com.au/default.aspx?id=103&NewsId=158

Medina
10-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I know Euge when i red this in Wta world. (im medina). I was like wow, i really want to go i would be the loudest one there, my 2 favourites together, Well gisela considering shes my second :angel:

Corina2605
11-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Below is the link to an article about an exhibition Juan is playing in Bs As on 1 December. The event supports the fight against AIDS. Gisela Dulko, Lucas Arnold and Martín Vasallo Argüello, among others, take part as well.

Anyone going to this event?

http://www.infobae.com/contenidos/350543-100913-0-El-deporte-y-el-espectáculo-se-dan-cita-el-sida

Eugenia
12-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Below is the link to an article about an exhibition Juan is playing in Bs As on 1 December. The event supports the fight against AIDS. Gisela Dulko, Lucas Arnold and Martín Vasallo Argüello, among others, take part as well.

Anyone going to this event?

http://www.infobae.com/contenidos/350543-100913-0-El-deporte-y-el-espectáculo-se-dan-cita-el-sida

I saw parts of it on TV - Juan played with Sergio Goycochea (football goalkeeper) and they won the final vs. Mancini and Ricardo Darin (an argentinian actor). Here are some pics of the event:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8602/exhibition1qk1.th.jpg (http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=exhibition1qk1.jpg) http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7751/exhibition2xc5.th.jpg (http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=exhibition2xc5.jpg)

HuaTuo
12-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Sergio Goycochea (football goalkeeper)
:yeah: He has been my favourite GK forever since 1990 World Cup in Italy.:worship:

Eugenia
12-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Chela volverá al equipo de Copa Davis

El tenista confirmó hoy en la presentación de la Copa Argentina que le "gustaría" ser parte del equipo nacional que disputará la próxima edición del torneo internacional.

Juan Ignacio Chela, que este año no disputó el torneo porque "el 2006 fue muy duro" y "terminó muy desgastado", afirmó que es "muy difícil ver la serie de afuera" y que está "a disposición" de Alberto Mancini, capitán argentino.

"Queria dedicarme más al circuito y tomarme más descansos, pero es duro que se juegue la serie y no estar en el equipo, así que este año me gustaría volver, habrá que ver si ‘Lulí’ (Mancini) me convoca", explicó el "Flaco".

El oriundo de Ciudad Evita, que disputará la Copa Argentina entre el 13 y el 16 diciembre, dijo estar "muy contento" ya que en el año 2007 fue "uno de los mejores argentinos".

"Trabajé mucho durante toda la temporada, fui regular en un año muy duro, lo más difícil fue tomar la decisión de dejar la Davis, pero eso me hizo crecer más en lo personal", declaró Chela.

En relación al torneo que disputar en Buenos Aires este mes, el tenista manifestó que "es lindo cerrar el año en esta ciudad", ya que podrá ser visto por su "familia y la gente".

Consultado sobre la próxima temporada, el "Flaco" respondió que tienen "claro que será un año muy difícil" y que trabajarán "muy fuerte en la pretemporada".

En lo personal, Chela hará hincapié en el "trabajo físico y tenístico para ser más ofensivo" y poder lograr tener más "la iniciativa" en los partidos.

--------------------------
The article says that next year Juan is going to play the Davis Cup again. He is happy with his 2007 season, he likes to close the year playing in Buenos Aires in front of his family and people, and right now he is working on his physical conditions.
Here is a picture with Vilas, Calleri, Chela, Zabaleta, Horna, Moya and Nalbandian, at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club in Argentina. :)

Eugenia
01-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Top 20 Argentine Aiming for Heineken Open Title

http://www.heinekenopen.co.nz/4/images/150x200/05_chela55.jpg

One of the most consistent players on the ATP circuit has confirmed his appearance at January’s 2008 Heineken Open featuring the Sovereign singles and doubles.

Argentina’s Juan Ignacio Chela the current world No20. Chela has a career-high ranking of 15 which he achieved in August 2004 and has finished in the top-40 rankings for the sixth consecutive year. His career prizemoney is just under US$4.5million.

He will take the court at the ASB Tennis Centre hoping to better his quarter-final appearance in 2007.

A year that included winning one title and making the semis of two tournaments as well as the quarters of six other events puts Chela up with the best in the world when it comes to consistency.

The fact three of the quarters were at Masters Series events – Miami, Rome where he beat Andy Roddick but lost to Fernando Gonzalez and Indian Wells. Making the quarters at Miami and Indian Wells proved that the Argentine is more than just a claycourt player and that he can than handle fast servers as well.

Although the efforts at the Masters events were highlights the big results came at the US Open where the 28-year-old reached the last eight with a five set win over Ivan Ljubicic in the third round followed by another five set win, this time against Stanislas Wawrinka.

Eventually he lost to David Ferrer in the quarters, the second occasion he had gone that far in a Grand Slam, the first being in 2004 at Roland Garros.

At the 2007 Heineken Open he was a quarter-finalist beating Nicolas Mahut in the first round and Nicolas Massu in the second before falling to Mardy Fish in two tie breaks.

Other success in 2007 came at Costa Do Sauipe (Brazil) and Stuttgart where he was a semifinalist at both events along with quarters finishes at Vienna and Buenos Aires.

His best form of the year was early on where he made the quarters at the Heineken Open the third round of the Australian Open then at his next event at Costa Do Sauipe he was a semifinalist. There was a quarter-finalist appearance at Buenos Aires the next week and then the title at Acapulco to finish his start to the year the following week.

He has four career singles titles to his name including winning at Acapulco where he defeated Carlos Moya in the final. Previous titles were at Estoril in 2004, Amersfoort 2002 and Mexico City 2000.

“Chela is the third top twenty player to sign for the 2008 Heineken Open and enters the tournament playing at the top of his game following a very successful year. He enjoys the Auckland environment and we look forward to seeing him competition along with his vocal Argentinean supporters”, says Heineken Open tournament director, Graham Pearce.

The Heineken Open featuring the Sovereign singles and doubles will be held at the ASB Tennis Centre, January 7 – 12, 2008 with the first two days of qualifying January 5 – 6, 2008 at the Albany Tennis Park, Oteha Valley Road, Albany starting at 10am each day.

The 2008 tournament will feature live scoring as well as live streaming of play and audio podcasts.

Link: http://www.heinekenopen.co.nz/4/news/08_chela.asp

dulkogi
01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
The Argentine duo of Carlos Berlocq and Martin Vassallo Arguello prevailed over compatriot Juan Ignacio Chela and Chilean partner Fernando Gonzalez on Monday in Vina del Mar, coming back to defeat the singles standouts 3-6, 7-6(5), 11-9 on opening day at the Movistar Open.

Berlocq and Vassallo Arguello won the Asuncion Challenger title in their last partnership effort in November. In their two ATP-level appearances, in 2006 at Amersfoort and last year in Vina del Mar, they reached the semifinals.

Chela and Gonzalez (pictured below), both ranked in the Top 25 of the South African Airways ATP Rankings, were making their second outing as a tandem. They reached the Vienna semifinals last October.

Both players have hoisted trophies in Vina del Mar; Chela won the doubles title in 2004 with Gaston Gaudio, while Gonzalez collected a pair of singles titles in 2002 and '05.

Top seeds Marcelo Melo and Andre Sa were also knocked out in first round action, succumbing to the wild card Chilean-Spanish team of Adrian Garcia and Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo, 7-6(2), 6-3. Melo and Sa have now lost their openers in all three of their appearances this season.

Garcia and Ramirez Hidalgo are making their ATP partnership debut this week. It marked only the second time in nine event appearances that Garcia advanced to the quarterfinals. Ramirez Hidalgo reached the Vina del Mar final last year with compatriot Albert Montanes.

Third-seeded Spaniards Marcel Granollers-Pujol and Santiago Ventura also lost on Monday to the Argentine-Peruvian tandem of Agustin Calleri and Luis Horna, 7-6(5), 6-3. Calleri and Horna teamed together previously at last year's US Open and won their opener before withdrawing from their second round match.

reiko
02-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi :wavey:

Please don't expect me to support Chelita in the coming exhibition match... :p

Gesto solidario del Gato Gaudio
El deporte, en ésta caso de la mano de Gastón Gaudio, dirá presente en Salta para acudir en auxilio de los damnificados por las inundaciones.

Gaudio, viene el 12 de febrero
Imprimir Enviar Aumentar, reducir tamaño del texto

El Gato respondió afirmativamente a la idea de jugar un encuentro solidario, que en principio iba a contar con la presencia de Juan Mónoca, el joven tenista tandilense y una de las nuevas figuras de éste deporte. Pero como el fin de semana anterior sufrió una lesión que le impidió jugar la final del torneo de Viña del Mar (Chile), se decidió cambiar el rival de Gaudio, que sería Juan Ignacio Chela, otros de los tenistas argentinos del circuito internacional. La exhibición será el 12 del corriente, desde las 18,30 en el Sporting Club, con canchas de polvo de ladrillo, aunque también se maneja la alternativa de llevarlo al estadio polideportivo Ciudad de Salta. Todo lo obtenido en materia de recaudación, será entregado al gobierno salteño para ser distribuido entre los afectados por las lluvias.

http://www.nuevodiariodesalta.com.ar/diario/archivo/noticias_v.asp?10674

reiko
03-11-2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.atptennis.com/1/es/newsandscores/news/2008/chela_menshealth.asp

Chela, portada de Men's Health edición latina

© Men's Health
El argentino Juan Ignacio Chela es el atleta elegido por la prestigiosa revista Men's Health para su ultima edición latina, que se distribuye en 17 países y tiene un alcance estimado en 1.800.000 lectores.

El reportaje de seis páginas, titulado "Jugar tenis para trabajarse a sí mismo", relata la trayectoria de Chela y revela "cómo ha llegado a ser un hombre satisfecho consigo mismo a través del trabajo diario".

En la entradilla se lee: "Ser un tenista profesional es tan difícil como ser un boxeador o jugador de NFL, con un nivel de presión adicional. Por ello, alcanzar el éxito en el tenis requiere de perseverancia, más que sólo entrenamiento físico".

En el interior del artículo, Chela responde: "El éxito se lo debo a los años de entrenamiento, a través de los cuales he desarrollado mi talento. El esfuerzo empezó desde que yo era niño, y el trayecto ha sido bastante enriquecedor".

Consultado sobre lo mejor de su profesión, Chela afirma: "Me encanta conocer nuevas personas y lugares, pero lo que más disfruto son los torneos; sobre todo porque ahora tengo la posibilidad de escoger en cuál quiero participar. Uno de mis favoritos es el Abierto de los Estados Unidos. También me gusta que mi salud se encuentre en buen estado gracias al tenis".

Chela lista entre sus pasatiempos favoritos "la música, el cine y los asados con mi familia. Paso mucho tiempo en Internet y, por lo general, disfruto viendo deportes en la televisión".

Por último, el argentino, N° 28 en el South African Airways ATP Ránking, brinda su opinión sobre qué significa ser exitoso: "La clave del éxito es disfrutar lo que haces. Estar contento con mi trabajo es lo que me ha dado tantos frutos. Tener muchos torneos y entrenar duro es lo que me pone feliz".

kai.
03-11-2008, 10:37 PM
thanks reiko!

Eugenia
06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Moya, Monaco, Chela pull out of Wimbledon

LONDON (AP) -- Carlos Moya of Spain and Argentines Juan Ignacio Chela and Juan Monaco are among the first players to withdraw from Wimbledon due to injuries.

The All England Club announced Monday that the 31-year-old Moya, who was ranked No. 1 in March 1999 but has slipped to No. 40 with recurring injuries, has an injured shoulder.

Chela also has a shoulder problem and Monaco withdrew with an injured back.

Argentines Martin Vassallo Arguello and Brian Dabul and Croatia's Roko Karanusic come into the main draw as replacements.

Japan's Akiko Morigami withdrew from the women's singles draw with an injured knee and was replaced by Czech player Renato Voracova.

Juan :sad: Too bad he won't be playing this year.

kai.
06-16-2008, 08:41 PM
:sad:

dulkogi
06-19-2008, 02:20 AM
:(

jamjar
06-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh man...:sad:
Hope he recovers very soon.

Eugenia
07-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Juan has a pubalgia and had to withdraw from Stuttgart and Kitzbuhel. :sad: He will be coming back at Toronto. :)

Get well soon Juan!!! :hug:

Corina2605
07-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the news Eugenia. I was wondering what was wrong with him. Hope he is ok for Toronto. Good luck :)

kai.
07-15-2008, 08:19 AM
uy well good luck :hug:

Eugenia
07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
CALLERI REPLACES INJURED CHELA

Agustin Calleri has been called up to the Argentina team in place of the injured Juan Ignacio Chela for next month's Olympic Games.

World number 62 Chela has failed to shake off a groin strain so Calleri will step in.

David Nalbandian, Guillermo Canas and Juan Monaco are the other three competitors in the men's singles, and the former two will make up the doubles pairing.

The team will be captained by Alberto Mancini, who also coaches the Davis Cup team.

Gisela Dulko will compete in the women's singles tournament and in the doubles, alongside Betina Jozami.

The women's team will be coached by Ricardo Riviera.

Link: http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/08/07/22/TENNIS_Arg-Argentina.html

Poor Juan :bigcry: :hug: So he is missing Cincy and the Olympic Games. :sad:
I hope he gets well asap. :awww:

jamjar
07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Nooooo :bigcry::sobbing: He was going to be my highlight for the whole fricking olympics :mad:
Well, I guess it's best that he makes sure he's properly recovered before coming back...
Hopefully he'll be ok for the US Open... lots of points to defend :hug:

Corina2605
07-25-2008, 08:24 PM
That's sad news :( Juan must be disappointed. Healding vibes for Juan +++++++++

kai.
07-28-2008, 06:40 PM
he will be operate today =) go juan good luck :hug:

Source: Pelotas Nuevas - Calleri

Corina2605
07-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Oh, it is that bad that he needs a surgery? :( I hope everything goes well, he is in my thoughts. Fingers crossed :)

Naina
08-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Get Well soon Juan.:hug::hug:
I hope he allows it to heal properly and doesnt rush back to the tour.

kai.
08-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Juam in tenis 2008, u should wait for him, is a note about the coachs, and almost all spanish speaking the players are talking about that..

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3535682&n8pe6c=2&categoryId=2950174&brand=deportes

jamjar
08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
So he's not playing the USO? He must be still recovering then :sad: Poor Juan :hug: Hope he gets better soon.

Eugenia
08-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Happy Birthday Juan! :aparty: :hug: :bdaycake: :bounce:

Today I heard that he will come back at the end of the year, and probably he will play some challengers. I hope he is getting better! :kiss:

Corina2605
08-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Happy Bday Juan :) At least he could celebrate his special day at home with his family and friends :) I hope he gets better soon, healing vibes ++++++++++++++++++

kai.
09-20-2008, 09:25 PM
TP, will we back =P on October by FoxSport with Zabaleta, Chela and a Gaston Gaudio =)

"Despues de muchos rumores y aun expectativas, retorna al aire tenis pro un programa de television que comenzo como una idea divertida entre amigos y se volvio de culto. Con algunos cambios y nuevas adquisiciones-entre ellas, nada menos que Gaston Gaudio- comenzara a ser emitido por Fox Sports a partir del mes de octubre.. "

http://www.rgrip.com.ar/

http://i30.servimg.com/u/f30/12/50/74/77/dfedfd10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=399&u=12507477)

Corina2605
09-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Wow, thats great news :):):) I hope people from Europe also have a chance to see some of the programmes on the net.

kai.
09-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Wow, thats great news :):):) I hope people from Europe also have a chance to see some of the programmes on the net.

:secret: iam living now in l.a so i cant see the program so i ask to 1 of my friend if she can record it and then send it to me and then upload the program in megaupload ;) lets cross the fingers :lol:

Eugenia
09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
OMG!! :bounce: One of the best TV news of the year :crazy: :lol:
I love Tenis Pro so much, I'm happy they're back! :banana:

Btw, Juan was watching Argentina DC team at Parque Roca Stadium on Friday. :D

Corina2605
09-22-2008, 07:56 PM
:secret: iam living now in l.a so i cant see the program so i ask to 1 of my friend if she can record it and then send it to me and then upload the program in megaupload ;) lets cross the fingers :lol:

That would be wonderful :)

Caio_Brasil
11-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Chelita got married :)

TenisPro really rocks :worship:

What's his injury?

Corina2605
11-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Chelita got married :)

TenisPro really rocks :worship:

What's his injury?

Really? When did he get married? I am very happy for him :) Congrats and all the best for the future for this lovely couple :)

Caio_Brasil
11-15-2008, 03:55 PM
I suppose it was this week, as I read in an article of a Brazilian website that the Davis Cup team went to Bs As to attend the marriage :)

Corina2605
11-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Thank you :) Yes, I am sure there were quite a few tennis players attending this wedding :) I would love to see a pic of the lovely couple, I am sure Veronica looked amazing :)

Corina2605
11-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Ok, I just found an article in Ole and according to this article the wedding takes place today. Again, congrats to Juan and his wife :)

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/11/15/tenis/01803653.html

kai.
11-18-2008, 12:05 AM
yeah was on friday :)..

congrats to juan and vero :hug: (i meet her on 2007 and she was such a nice girl iam sooo happy :bounce: )

reiko
11-19-2008, 01:01 PM
"La boda del tenista Juan Ignacio Chela"
(http://www.caras.uol.com.ar/edicion_1402/nota_02.htm)

With some nice photos. ;)

Feliz Casamiento!

Corina2605
11-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks a lot Reiko for the link. I failed to find anything about the wedding. Juan and Veronica look so happy :) They make a great couple :) Congrats again to them!

jamjar
11-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the link, reiko :hug: They are an adorable couple :awww: All the best to them in the future.

kai.
11-21-2008, 07:59 PM
"La boda del tenista Juan Ignacio Chela"
(http://www.caras.uol.com.ar/edicion_1402/nota_02.htm)

With some nice photos. ;)

Feliz Casamiento!

i love this pic..

http://www.fuebuena.com.ar/wp-content/uploads//2008/11/casamientodejuanignaciochela3.jpg

kai.
12-10-2008, 04:51 AM
Juan will play a exibicion in buenos aires.. :)

match 1:

David Nalbandian (ARG) vs Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG)

kai.
12-10-2008, 05:46 PM
00:00 | COPA ARGENTINALa vuelta de Chelita

Luego de seis meses sin jugar, Juan Ignacio Chela retornará a las
canchas pasado mañana, en su partido ante David Nalbandian. El Flaco
fue operado de una hernia inguinal. "Buenísimo, me tocó un partido
fácil de entrada", ironizó el de Ciudad Evita al ver el sorteo. El
último partido del Flaco fue en Roland Garros (perdió en 2ª con
Fernando Verdasco).

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/12/10/tenis/01819149.html

Corina2605
12-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Haha, he is his ironic-self. I hope he has fun on the court! :)

Caio_Brasil
12-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Chelita defeated Nalbandian in 3 sets and will play Pico for a spot at the final.

Corina2605
12-13-2008, 01:19 PM
That's great news :) Lovely semifinal against Pico:)

jamjar
12-14-2008, 07:36 AM
I just found a video of Juan's press conference after he beat Nalbandian. I don't think there's a video thread here, so I'm posting it here :D:D Since I fail at life and don't speak Spanish :sad:, would anyone be kind enough to summarise what he's saying for me?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mqxY2UI8VTw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mqxY2UI8VTw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Caio_Brasil
12-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm not the best person to translate it as I'm not a fluent Spanish speaker, but I can give you some idea of what he said. Argie posters can help you better later :wavey:

He said that he was feeling very good, that at almost all the match he was feeling comfortable with his serve. He said that it was winding a little bit so it was difficult to play.

He said he could play for a long time withouth feeling any pain and it was the prime objective. He said he felt a lot in the rankings but he doesn't care, he wants to play, and also said that there's a chance he plays at São Paulo challenger in the first week (:woohoo: I'm going there) and then he will probably use protected ranking. He says he is very motivated for the next year.

An interviewer asked something about Tenis Pro and what will he do about it now that he will be back playing the circuit, and he said that at some points last year (?) he was feeling tired, not having fun anymore, so the program was a good thing, and in 2009 he will try to keep working with it when he has some free time (I don't know if he really said that).

Asked about Davis Cup he said he would really like getting back to team. They asked him about the captain situation and he said nobody consulted him; he said there are many persons who can be the new captain, and it has to be someone who has the respect of all players. At the end he said Mancini did a great job and said stuff about the final, but I couldn't understand many words.

Asked about him saying once that he would play for 2 more years, he said he always says he will keep playing as long as he has fun, and that can be more 2, 3, 4, maybe 1 year, who knows.

:wavey:

Corina2605
12-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Jamjar, someone who supports Juan does not fail at life :)

Thank you for the link and thanks for the translation Caio-Brasil (have fun in Sao Paulo!!) :)

jamjar
12-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Jamjar, someone who supports Juan does not fail at life :)
:lol: True. I just wish I could speak Spanish.

I'm not the best person to translate it as I'm not a fluent Spanish speaker, but I can give you some idea of what he said. Argie posters can help you better later :wavey:

He said that he was feeling very good, that at almost all the match he was feeling comfortable with his serve. He said that it was winding a little bit so it was difficult to play.

He said he could play for a long time withouth feeling any pain and it was the prime objective. He said he felt a lot in the rankings but he doesn't care, he wants to play, and also said that there's a chance he plays at São Paulo challenger in the first week (:woohoo: I'm going there) and then he will probably use protected ranking. He says he is very motivated for the next year.

An interviewer asked something about Tenis Pro and what will he do about it now that he will be back playing the circuit, and he said that at some points last year (?) he was feeling tired, not having fun anymore, so the program was a good thing, and in 2009 he will try to keep working with it when he has some free time (I don't know if he really said that).

Asked about Davis Cup he said he would really like getting back to team. They asked him about the captain situation and he said nobody consulted him; he said there are many persons who can be the new captain, and it has to be someone who has the respect of all players. At the end he said Mancini did a great job and said stuff about the final, but I couldn't understand many words.

Asked about him saying once that he would play for 2 more years, he said he always says he will keep playing as long as he has fun, and that can be more 2, 3, 4, maybe 1 year, who knows.

:wavey:

Thank you so much!!! :worship::worship::worship:
He sounds quite positive, yet realistic at the same time. I can't wait for 2009 :crazy:

kai.
02-03-2009, 12:19 AM
(WC) Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) a Pablo Andujar (ESP) 6-0/3-6/6-1 papita pa el loro XD

Corina2605
02-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Welcome back on tour Juan :) Glad he won his first match :)

kai.
02-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Main Draw. - Buenos Aires 2009

(1) David Nalbandian (ARG) vs Nicolás Lapentti (ECU)
(WC) Gastón Gaudio (ARG) vs Daniel Gimeno Traver (ESP)
Agustín Calleri (ARG) vs Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
(7) Marcel Granollers (ESP) vs Thomaz Belluci (BRA)
(4) Carlos Moyá (ESP) vs (Q)
Brian Dabul (ARG) vs Nicolás Devilder (FRA)
Juan Mónaco (ARG) vs (WC) Sergio Roitman (ARG)
(6) Albert Montañes (ESP) vs Martín Vassallo Argüello (ARG)
(8 ) Eduardo Schwank (ARG) vs (Q)
Iván Navarro (ESP) vs (Q)
(WC) Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) vs Alberto Martin (ESP)
(3) Tommy Robredo (ESP) vs Potito Starace (ITA)
(5) José Acasuso (ARG) vs (Q)
Fabio Fognini (ITA) vs Pablo Andujar (ESP)
Diego Junqueira (ARG) vs Nicolás Massú (CHI)
(2) Nicolás Almagro (ESP) vs Oscar Hernandez (ESP)