Federer, Woods and Armstrong leading candidates for SI Sportsman of the Year [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer, Woods and Armstrong leading candidates for SI Sportsman of the Year

nobama
11-11-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-11-2005/0004213926&EDATE=

Who will be 2005 SI Sportsman of the Year
-----------------------------------------
Roger Federer 11-2 Venus Williams 25-1
Lance Armstrong 6-1 Asafa Powell 30-1
Tiger Woods 6-1 Rafael Palmeiro 30-1
Matt Leinart 8-1 Tim Duncan/Manu Ginobli 30-1
Danica Patrick 10-1 Ozzie Guillen 35-1
Michelle Wie 10-1 Steve Nash 35-1
Tom Brady 10-1 Sidney Crosby 40-1Chicago White Sox 12-1 Poker/WSOP 45-1
Anika Sorenstam 15-1 Mario Lemieux 50-1
Congress/Steroids 15-1 New England Patriots 50-1
LaDainian Tomlinson 15-1 Pete Carroll 50-1
Albert Pujols 20-1 New Orleans Saints 60-1
Trevor Linden 20-1 Phil Mickelson 75-1
Cheryl Swoops 25-1 Carson Palmer 100-1
Gary Bettman 25-1 Jose Canseco 100-1
Peyton and Eli Manning 25-1 Ricky Williams 100-1
Roger Clemens 25-1 Shaquille O'Neal 100-1

Recent SI Sportsman of the Year Winners
---------------------------------------
2004 Boston Red Sox
2003 Tim Duncan and David Robinson
2002 Lance Armstrong
2001 Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson
2000 Tiger Woods
1999 US Women's National Soccer Team
1998 Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa
1997 Dean Smith
1996 Tiger Woods
1995 Cal Ripken Jr.
I'm surprised Fed would be the leading candidate considering he's not from the USA and Sports Illustrated could give a shit less about tennis. But it would certainly be cool and good for the sport if he won.

mishar
11-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Considering that Lance and Tiger have won it already, I definitely think it's Roger's turn. When was the last time they picked a tennis player?

peteslamz
11-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Hope Federer gonna win this thing but his chances are slim because his not anAmerican. Just looking at the past winners, you can already see the trend...
Anika Sorenstam also had a very good season but again she's a Swede.
Maybe Michelle Wie (every golf tournament is changing its rules just for her!) or Chicago White Sox perhaps?

peteslamz
11-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Tiger Woods can also be the Sportsman of the year again because he won 2 slams and finish as a runner-up on the other two slams behind Campbell and Mickelson if I'm not mistake. besides, he also regained the number one ranking from Vijay Singh. He may also deserve this award.

nobama
11-11-2005, 04:22 PM
The only other tennis players to get this award were:
Arthur Ashe in 1992
Chris Evert in 1976
Billie Jean King in 1972 (she shared the award with John Woodle)

nobama
11-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Tiger Woods can also be the Sportsman of the year again because he won 2 slams and finish as a runner-up on the other two slams behind Campbell and Mickelson if I'm not mistake. besides, he also regained the number one ranking from Vijay Singh. He may also deserve this award.Tiger had a great year too, but he's won this before and has been at the top of the game for a long time. I don't expect Rogi to win it because he's Swiss and plays tennis and I don't think SI cares much about tennis. But I think it would be good for the sport if he did.

alfonsojose
11-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Mirka has been busy giving blowjobs out there, so keep your fingers crossed :devil:

alfonsojose
11-11-2005, 04:57 PM
IF Sampras,Agassi or even Serena never got it at their primes ... :shrug: :rolleyes:

Fedex
11-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Mirka has been busy giving blowjobs out there, so keep your fingers crossed :devil:
:lol:

its.like.that
11-11-2005, 05:29 PM
how can Woods and Armstrong be put in the same class as Federer?

:confused:

shotgun
11-11-2005, 06:12 PM
It's quite a surprise that Jon Wertheim ellected Federer to represent tennis in this contest. I thought he would ellect Paul Goldstein, since he adores him so much.

El Legenda
11-11-2005, 06:21 PM
GO Albert Pujols :)

nobama
11-11-2005, 06:53 PM
IF Sampras,Agassi or even Serena never got it at their primes ... :shrug: :rolleyes:Yeah that surprised me...no McEnroe or Lendl either. Tells you what they think about the sport of Tennis. So I can't see Fed winning it.

adee-gee
11-11-2005, 06:58 PM
If Federer wins it ahead of the greatest current sportsman in Tiger Woods, and the most remarkable achievement in recent sporting memory in Lance Armstrong, it'll be the biggest farce since George Bush became President of the most powerful country in the world.

Regenbogen
11-11-2005, 06:58 PM
that would be really cool if he won...but yeah it's probably pretty unlikely

1sun
11-11-2005, 07:04 PM
If Federer wins it ahead of the greatest current sportsman in Tiger Woods, and the most remarkable achievement in recent sporting memory in Lance Armstrong, it'll be the biggest farce since George Bush became President of the most powerful country in the world.
lol. what a load of shite.

Clara Bow
11-11-2005, 07:07 PM
If he made SI Sportsman of the Year, I would have to do a dance of joy while hugging the magazine. :inlove:

I hope that if he indeed does win that would open some of the readers who don't normally follow tennis as to what a great sport it is. Wertheim (sp?) and Price do seem to lurve Federer and Price is, in my opinion, one of the magazine's best writers so that could help.

adee-gee
11-11-2005, 07:10 PM
lol. what a load of shite.
What the hell did Federer do this year? Did he come back from a life threatening cancer to win the most gruelling event around for a 7th time?

He won 2 slams, on grass where there are about 3 people in the world that like playing on the surface and on hard, where the resistance was pitifully weak. Yes, it's been an impressive year, losing only 3 matches, and I respect the fact that he's an amazing tennis player. But sportsman of the year, don't make me laugh.

1sun
11-11-2005, 07:13 PM
What the hell did Federer do this year? Did he come back from a life threatening cancer to win the most gruelling event around for a 7th time?

He won 2 slams, on grass where there are about 3 people in the world that like playing on the surface and on hard, where the resistance was pitifully weak. Yes, it's been an impressive year, losing only 3 matches, and I respect the fact that he's an amazing tennis player. But sportsman of the year, don't make me laugh.
lol. keep it cuming :yeah:

nobama
11-11-2005, 07:20 PM
If Federer wins it ahead of the greatest current sportsman in Tiger Woods, and the most remarkable achievement in recent sporting memory in Lance Armstrong, it'll be the biggest farce since George Bush became President of the most powerful country in the world.Um, both Woods and Armstrong have won this award before. In fact Woods has won it twice. So I don't see why it would be a crime if they gave it to Federer. His last two years have been more dominant than Woods. In fact I don't think Tiger has ever won 10+ PGA tournaments in back-to-back years. In the last two years Woods has won 9 tournaments, including 2 majors. Federer has won 22 tournaments, including 5 majors.

nobama
11-11-2005, 07:22 PM

He won 2 slams, on grass where there are about 3 people in the world that like playing on the surface and on hard, where the resistance was pitifully weak. Yes, it's been an impressive year, losing only 3 matches, and I respect the fact that he's an amazing tennis player. But sportsman of the year, don't make me laugh.:lol: do you actually believe this tripe?

KoOlMaNsEaN
11-11-2005, 11:41 PM
i dont really care about awards for him i just want him to win shanghai

its.like.that
11-12-2005, 02:31 AM
Woods won't even surpass Nicklaus - he's only famous because he's the 1st decent African-Asian heritage golfer.

Just like all the hype James Blake and Gael Monfils have received due to their heritage.

G O
11-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Woods won't even surpass Nicklaus - he's only famous because he's the 1st decent African-Asian heritage golfer.

Just like all the hype James Blake and Gael Monfils have received due to their heritage.

This kind of hateful comment brings tears to my eyes. This is just wrong.

How could anyone say such things in this day and age.

Woods who is African American has undergone many hardships white people will never be able to imagine. And his struggle continures today when I hear talk like this.

You are aware J'b's father passed recently. How does that make you feel?

Tennis Fool
11-12-2005, 03:07 AM

Woods who is African American has undergone many hardships white people will never be able to imagine. And his struggle continures today when I hear talk like this.

Don't provoke him. He'll only follow you around the site and give you love in the form of negative reps everyday...

Or Adeegee for that matter.

How these two became so popular on this site with their supposed superior tennis knowledge is beyond me.

nobama
11-12-2005, 03:45 AM

Just like all the hype James Blake and Gael Monfils have received due to their heritage.This is just :retard:

its.like.that
11-12-2005, 04:25 AM
Don't provoke him. He'll only follow you around the site and give you love in the form of negative reps everyday...

How these two became so popular on this site with their supposed superior tennis knowledge is beyond me.

woah man, that went straight to the heart :hearts:

I feel you brother.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tennis Fool again.

its.like.that
11-12-2005, 04:28 AM
This is just :retard:

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/crazy.gif

Dirk
11-12-2005, 05:45 AM

There are many people black and white who go through hardships. Tiger overcame any real struggle early on in his life. He has it made and he deserves it . Tiger is not worried about pieces of shit like Jim.

yomike
11-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Roger will not win it because SI is so enamored with the quasi-sport of golf and Tiger Woods.
greatest current sportsman in Tiger WoodsYeah right:rolleyes:. All he does is walk, ride a cart, and hit a ball without breaking sweat. Frankly washing dishes is more sport in terms of effort and work put in it. In other words I hate golf and those who enjoy it.

:cool:RICHARD GASQUET:cool:

bad gambler
11-12-2005, 06:27 AM
tiger woods

landoud
11-12-2005, 08:04 AM
alot of wishes here that rogelio wins it

williaer
11-12-2005, 09:40 AM
go lance

Art&Soul
11-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Go ROGELIO :angel:

Corey Feldman
11-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Tiger Woods can also be the Sportsman of the year again because he won 2 slams and finish as a runner-up on the other two slams behind Campbell and Mickelson if I'm not mistake. besides, he also regained the number one ranking from Vijay Singh. He may also deserve this award.Tiger was 4th at the USApga when Mickelson won, so his year in the majors was W-2-W-4... the equivalent of W-final-W-SF in tennis...
so only just better than federers SF-SF-W-W.
tiger probably will win..
Armstrong no way, boring sport and even if he keeps winning that race its just 1 achievment in the whole year.

adee-gee
11-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Um, both Woods and Armstrong have won this award before. In fact Woods has won it twice. So I don't see why it would be a crime if they gave it to Federer. His last two years have been more dominant than Woods. In fact I don't think Tiger has ever won 10+ PGA tournaments in back-to-back years. In the last two years Woods has won 9 tournaments, including 2 majors. Federer has won 22 tournaments, including 5 majors.
What does it matter if they've won it before.

When Tiger Woods plays an event, he has to beat every other player in the field, usually over 100 players. For Federer to win an event, he usually has to win 5 matches against 1 opponent. Woods winning 2 majors is a better achievement than Federer winning 2 Grand Slams by a country mile.

Jimena
11-12-2005, 01:56 PM

When Tiger Woods plays an event, he has to beat every other player in the field, usually over 100 players. For Federer to win an event, he usually has to win 5 matches against 1 opponent. Woods winning 2 majors is a better achievement than Federer winning 2 Grand Slams by a country mile.

Not surprisingly, I disagree. You cannot compare Woods and Federer in such linear terms. Their sports (if golf can be called that- I have my doubts, though I agree that it requires a heck of a lot of skill) are very, very different.

And one more thing- when Woods wasn't winning, he wasn't behaving as a great sportsman. Quite frankly, he was being an ass. That has to count for something when choosing the "Sportsman" of the year.

That said, I think hell will freeze before Fed wins it. There's no way SI will ever put him on the cover and risk not selling as many issues as they would if Armstrong or Woods were chosen. JMHO. I'll jump with glee if I'm mistaken, though.

adee-gee
11-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Not surprisingly, I disagree. You cannot compare Woods and Federer in such linear terms. Their sports (if golf can be called that- I have my doubts, though I agree that it requires a heck of a lot of skill) are very, very different.

And one more thing- when Woods wasn't winning, he wasn't behaving as a great sportsman. Quite frankly, he was being an ass. That has to count for something when choosing the "Sportsman" of the year.

That said, I think hell will freeze before Fed wins it. There's no way SI will ever put him on the cover and risk not selling as many issues as they would if Armstrong or Woods were chosen. JMHO. I'll jump with glee if I'm mistaken, though.
Yes I agree that the sports are very different, therefore we can only try to compare their achievements. In my opionion, Tiger winning 2 majors is a lot more impressive than Federer winning 2 Grand Slams.

I really don't see where you're coming from about Woods being an ass? Would you care to explain, I've always thought he's been an excellent ambassador for sport. For a golfer to become probably the most recognisable face in World Sport shows how he has changed the face of the game as well.

adee-gee
11-12-2005, 02:19 PM

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

nobama
11-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Yes I agree that the sports are very different, therefore we can only try to compare their achievements. In my opionion, Tiger winning 2 majors is a lot more impressive than Federer winning 2 Grand Slams. How can you say that. A golf major lasts 4 days. A tennis major lasts two weeks where to win it you have to beat 7 different opponents. Tiger can suck for two days and as long as he makes the cut he still has a chance. In tennis you don't get another chance. He's had better years than this one, and one of those years (2000) he won this award.

I don't know how you can objectively say the two slams Woods won were more impressive. Then I guess you would say they're more impressive than Safin's win at AO and Nadal at RG? Maybe you think golf is a more impressive sport? Or you just hate Fed and will come up with any rationalization as to why someone else is more deserving? I suppose you think he didn't deserve the Laureus world sportsman award this year either? :shrug:

adee-gee
11-12-2005, 04:09 PM
How can you say that. A golf major lasts 4 days. A tennis major lasts two weeks where to win it you have to beat 7 different opponents. Tiger can suck for two days and as long as he makes the cut he still has a chance. In tennis you don't get another chance. He's had better years than this one, and one of those years (2000) he won this award.

I don't know how you can objectively say the two slams Woods won were more impressive. Then I guess you would say they're more impressive than Safin's win at AO and Nadal at RG? Maybe you think golf is a more impressive sport? Or you just hate Fed and will come up with any rationalization as to why someone else is more deserving? I suppose you think he didn't deserve the Laureus world sportsman award this year either? :shrug:
That is far from true. If Tiger sucks for even 1 day he's very unlikely to win a title. Federer can suck for his first 4 matches in a slam and cruise through, because the opposition is usually weak until the latter stages.

Of course I'm saying Woods' achievements are better than Safins or Nadals. I don't necessarily think golf is a more impressive sport, but I would say this. There have been a lot of players that have won 2 slams in a year in tennis, and very few golfers that have won 2 majors in a year. That would suggest its a more impressive achievement. Let me just say this for the record, I don't hate Federer, far from it.

star
11-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Mirkaland, I hardly think you are objective on this subject.

It would be quite an achievement for a non-usian to get the award. Roger didn't get the award in a year where he had more impressive achievement than this year. He might get it as sort of a consolation prize because he didnt' get it the year he won three slams.

I really don't care who gets the award. It think it's more a way to sell magazines than it is a true recognition of who was the best during the year.

peteslamz
11-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Woods also deserves to be the Sportsman of the year because he took the risk of changing his swing, which really affected his game therefore Vijay dethroned him on the number one ranking. Yet he was able to adapt to his new style of swing and regained composure as well as the number one spot. Therefore there is nothing wrong if he can win again. But if Federer would be able to win then that woul be better, but i doubt it.

ExpectedWinner
11-12-2005, 04:30 PM

She might not be. But it's irrelevant. It's not like she's in company of objective, unbiased people here. :devil:

nobama
11-12-2005, 04:34 PM

It would be quite an achievement for a non-usian to get the award. Roger didn't get the award in a year where he had more impressive achievement than this year. He might get it as sort of a consolation prize because he didnt' get it the year he won three slams.

I really don't care who gets the award. It think it's more a way to sell magazines than it is a true recognition of who was the best during the year.No I'm certainly not objective. I have no problem admitting that. But I like Tiger Woods as well. I've followed him for many years, and he's had more dominant years on the tour than 2005. Plus he's won this award twice before. So it would be nice to give it to someone who hasn't won before and also has an impressive record.

roby
11-12-2005, 04:36 PM
It's interesting actually to see both Roger and Tiger Woods in Shanghai at the same time. Woods is playing the HSBC Championships in Shanghai and Roger said he wanted to meet him if he's got the time.

PaulieM
11-12-2005, 05:01 PM

so because the nature of the two sports is different, federer's achievements are clearly not up to par. :o
That is far from true. If Tiger sucks for even 1 day he's very unlikely to win a title. Federer can suck for his first 4 matches in a slam and cruise through, because the opposition is usually weak until the latter stages.
tell that to all the top tennis players that have lost in the early rounds of a slam. it's really easy for you sitting on the couch to say that they just coast through the early rounds against "weak opposition".

Of course I'm saying Woods' achievements are better than Safins or Nadals. I don't necessarily think golf is a more impressive sport, but I would say this. There have been a lot of players that have won 2 slams in a year in tennis, and very few golfers that have won 2 majors in a year. That would suggest its a more impressive achievement. Let me just say this for the record, I don't hate Federer, far from it.
silly me i was under the impression that federer had done a lot more than just win 2 slams this year. :shrug:

and as for tiger apparently being an ass off the course, i wouldn't say he's an ass but he did get into quite a bit of trouble a couple of years ago over some derogatory comments he made about women. so perhaps that's what Jimena is talking about.

star
11-12-2005, 05:07 PM
No I'm certainly not objective. I have no problem admitting that. But I like Tiger Woods as well. I've followed him for many years, and he's had more dominant years on the tour than 2005. Plus he's won this award twice before. So it would be nice to give it to someone who hasn't won before and also has an impressive record.

But the record isn't as impressive this year as it was the year before.

Tiger's record is more impressive this year than it was the year before.

R.Federer
11-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I watched an interview with michael phelps (swimmer, Athens olympics fame) on ESPN just before or around US Open, and they asked him how he felt about being nominated for some thing along with Roger and others. I was surprised how *much* he knew about Roger, including all his wins. He said something like "Well, Roger Federer, I mean I am just honoured to be nominated along with him. What he has done on the tennis courts last year, is unreal". :)

adee-gee
11-12-2005, 05:13 PM
so because the nature of the two sports is different, federer's achievements are clearly not up to par. :o
No, I said its an impressive achievement. I just rate Woods winning 2 majors as a far greater achievement.

tell that to all the top tennis players that have lost in the early rounds of a slam. it's really easy for you sitting on the couch to say that they just coast through the early rounds against "weak opposition".
Yes it happens. But beating the likes of Dudi Sela, Takao Suzuki, Ivo Minar etc doesn't mean you deserve a Sportsman of the year award.

silly me i was under the impression that federer had done a lot more than just win 2 slams this year. :shrug:
Yes he has, and Woods has won more than just 2 majors.

and as for tiger apparently being an ass off the course, i wouldn't say he's an ass but he did get into quite a bit of trouble a couple of years ago over some derogatory comments he made about women. so perhaps that's what Jimena is talking about.
I think you might be confusing him with Vijay Singh, I'm not sure though :shrug:

peteslamz
11-12-2005, 05:21 PM
No, I said its an impressive achievement. I just rate Woods winning 2 majors as a far greater achievement.

Yes it happens. But beating the likes of Dudi Sela, Takao Suzuki, Ivo Minar etc doesn't mean you deserve a Sportsman of the year award.

Yes he has, and Woods has won more than just 2 majors.

I think you might be confusing him with Vijay Singh, I'm not sure though :shrug:

Yeah, I think that was Vijay Singh not Woods when he commented something about Anika Sorenstam playing one tournament on the PGA tour. But he later apologized for his remarks

PaulieM
11-12-2005, 05:23 PM
no i'm not confusing him with vijay. there was some comment tiger made like 4 years ago i think that he got some negative press for. i don't remember exactly what he said, it wasn't about female golfers. :shrug:

adee-gee
11-12-2005, 05:25 PM
no i'm not confusing him with vijay. there was some comment tiger made like 4 years ago i think that he got some negative press for. i don't remember exactly what he said, it wasn't about female golfers. :shrug:
I'm sure we can find it in our hearts to forgive him :D

neeob
11-12-2005, 05:36 PM

But tennis is more popular in the world and therefore
more important than golf. It also means that there are
less people trying to play golf which makes the sport
less competitive.

adee-gee
11-12-2005, 05:38 PM
But tennis is more popular in the world and therefore
more important than golf. It also means that there are
less people trying to play golf which makes the sport
less competitive.
I'd dispute that. Look at the prize money in golf compared to tennis. And the sponsorships.

star
11-12-2005, 05:39 PM

It was even longer than that ago. It was after he won his first masters, I believe. He made some crude jokes about various things during a photo shoot or a tailoring session... not sure which... but it was before he realized that everything he said would be reported.

Most men I know make disparaging remarks about women at some time or another. Women make disparaging remarks about men too. It's not something that gets reported though. -- neither are the tasteless jokes many many people make. Since that time Tiger has guarded his mouth, and I believe Vijay will now too. Roger also is quite careful about what he says in public. I would be too if I were one of these guys. Even a smart alec remark can be blown up and made into some sort of international incident.

neeob
11-12-2005, 05:48 PM
I'd dispute that. Look at the prize money in golf compared to tennis. And the sponsorships.

this money comes from the usa i guess. as example
here in europe tiger woods isnt very popular. the whole
sport isn't.

PaulieM
11-12-2005, 05:52 PM
while i agree that golf is probably more popular the tennis i wouldn't point necessarily point to the prize money and sponsorships as the best evidence. a lot of that has to do with who watches golf, who has an interest in promoting/maintaining its popularity and other characteristics of the market that is most interested in golf and other stuff associated with the sport. that said, the degree of difference in popularity depends on where you live, but here in the u.s. especially and a lot of other places as well the popularity of golf far exceeds that of tennis, that's for sure.

adee-gee
11-12-2005, 05:54 PM
this money comes from the usa i guess. as example
here in europe tiger woods isnt very popular. the whole
sport isn't.
You're generalising. In many parts of Europe, golf is extremely popular, more so than tennis. Tiger Woods is a lot more popular and recognisable than Federer for people in Britain I would suggest.

neeob
11-12-2005, 06:01 PM
You're generalising. In many parts of Europe, golf is extremely popular, more so than tennis. Tiger Woods is a lot more popular and recognisable than Federer for people in Britain I would suggest.

ok, lets say continental europe... i can say for sure that on
the regular tv channels (not pay tv) in germany, france, switzerland
and austria there is virtually no tv coverage of golf at all.

but perhaps im wrong. i am trying to find a creditable ranking of sports
popularity worldwide somewhere.

nobama
11-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Yes it happens. But beating the likes of Dudi Sela, Takao Suzuki, Ivo Minar etc doesn't mean you deserve a Sportsman of the year award.Now you're just being :retard: If that's your argument then no tennis player should ever win this award. It's not like Roger played those guys in the finals of a tournament, and even if he did, they would've had to beat some very good players to get to the finals so that's a stupid argument.

neeob
11-12-2005, 06:22 PM
didnt quickly find anything useful. however, is golf popular
in asia? east europe? south america? tennis surely is.

star
11-12-2005, 06:27 PM
You have to ask if golf is popular in Asia?????????

You surely know nothing about the sport if you have to ask that question! :lol: :lol:

I don't even like golf, but I think the popularity of golf in Asia is common knowledge and even the subject of a lot of jokes and stereotypes.

neeob
11-12-2005, 06:28 PM
You have to ask if golf is popular in Asia?????????

You surely know nothing about the sport if you have to ask that question! :lol: :lol:

youre right, thats my point ;)

nobama
11-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Golf is much more popular here in the States. But part of the reason is there is a PGA tour which is played in the States and so fans have tournaments to watch on TV every week and they're not on in the middle of the night or the crack of dawn on ESPN2. If there were pro tennis matches on TV every week more people would follow and would get to know more players on the tour. But after the two TMS events in March/early April there is no pro mens tennis in the States until July. And then after the US Open nothing for the rest of the year. With golf it's on national TV from January to November.

Also I think more people can play golf and even if they're no good they can go out there and enjoy themselves. It's much more difficult to enjoy playing tennis if you suck at it. Plus it's much more of a physical sport, so if you're not in shape it's no fun at all.

But back to the topic this award shouldn't be based on what sport is more popular. If that was the case, Lance Armstrong should never have won this award because cycling certainly is not as popular as other sports here in the States.

nobama
11-12-2005, 06:33 PM
didnt quickly find anything useful. however, is golf popular
in asia? east europe? south america? tennis surely is.Golf is popular almost everywhere, certainly in Asia.

neeob
11-12-2005, 06:38 PM
thanks for the informations. i under-
estimated the popularity of golf, obviously.

But back to the topic this award shouldn't be based on what sport is more popular. If that was the case, Lance Armstrong should never have won this award because cycling certainly is not as popular as other sports here in the States.

Thats true. But my point was that popular sports are
more competitive. its more difficult to be the best
soccer player in the world than lets say the
synchronised swimming world champion ( ;) )

Jimena
11-12-2005, 07:26 PM
From a couple of pages back:

I really don't see where you're coming from about Woods being an ass? Would you care to explain, I've always thought he's been an excellent ambassador for sport.

Remember the incident with his caddy earlier in the year? And how he defended his caddy mistreating (or being almost violent) to a couple of fans? And the way he whined about the press? Repeatedly? He had a point, mind you, and he ended up being right about changing his game but he wasn't being "nice" or what I would consider a "sportsman" before he started winning again.

Woods has never been warm towards the press, either, in my opinion. He might be a good ambassador of the sport but he has always struck me as being rather guarded and private and not particularly welcoming. Not to his fans and not even when he wins. Again, I don't really blame him because being such a superstar in the US and having media following you around all the time must not be conducive to just being a "great guy". But that's the way he's come across to me. JMHO.

Corey Feldman
11-12-2005, 07:26 PM
might been an interview he done a few years ago when he told some crude jokes when he didnt know he was being recorded...
another thing i can think of is when Augusta national said there's no way woman will ever play at that golf course and didnt tiger agree or was critized for not giving his issue on it...
which was unfair.
but he's no ass on the course, he throws a few fits here and there but nothing serious.

1sun
11-12-2005, 07:41 PM
golf is just such a shite sport, i cant even understand why its so big. its so bloody boring.

Corey Feldman
11-12-2005, 07:46 PM
different strokes for different folkes (no pun intended)
i love golf... planning and having a strategy to get a little white ball around into 18 holes...
brilliant :p

faboozadoo15
11-12-2005, 10:01 PM
here's to hoping he wins! he might make the cover!

star
11-12-2005, 10:52 PM
youre right, thats my point ;)

Your point is that you know nothing about Golf and its popularity?

:lol:

I think not. I think your point is that you know nothing about golf so it must not be popular.

My point is you are ignorant if you don't know that golf is massively popular in Asia.

hitchhiker
11-13-2005, 02:17 AM
golf suxorz

uNIVERSE mAN
11-13-2005, 02:25 AM
excuse me but armstrong should've been a candidate for sportsman of the month (July).

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Vamos Tiger :rocker2:

its.like.that
11-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Vamos Tiger :rocker2:

:retard:

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Now you're just being :retard: If that's your argument then no tennis player should ever win this award. It's not like Roger played those guys in the finals of a tournament, and even if he did, they would've had to beat some very good players to get to the finals so that's a stupid argument.
That wasn't my argument. Apparently Tiger can play badly for 2 days of a 4 day event and still win the tournament, which I think is utter nonsense. I think Federer can play at about 50% and still beat most of the people that he comes up against in the early rounds of slams. That wasn't at all the basis of my argument. My main argument is that its a lot harder to win a golf event than it is to win a tennis event, in the sense that you have to beat over 100 players to win a golf tournament, whereas a tennis tournament you win 5-7 seperate matches against a single opponent. Therefore, I rate Woods' achievement a lot higher than I do Federer's.

tennischick
11-13-2005, 04:52 PM
That wasn't my argument. Apparently Tiger can play badly for 2 days of a 4 day event and still win the tournament, which I think is utter nonsense. I think Federer can play at about 50% and still beat most of the people that he comes up against in the early rounds of slams. That wasn't at all the basis of my argument. My main argument is that its a lot harder to win a golf event than it is to win a tennis event, in the sense that you have to beat over 100 players to win a golf tournament, whereas a tennis tournament you win 5-7 seperate matches against a single opponent. Therefore, I rate Woods' achievement a lot higher than I do Federer's.
i don't understand your argument either. a tennis Slam has a 128-person draw. therefore a player potentially has any one of those 127 other players as opponents.

i think it's difficult to compare sports. certainly the type of training and preparation these guys put in to achieve what they have achieved is awesome. i wish they could all win. but as a tennis supporter, i'm gonna hope that the tennis player wins. if i were a golf-supporter posting on golf sites, i would probably support Tiger. and so on.

whichever guy wins it will be as deserving as any of the other three because they have all excelled in their fields. i am rooting for Federer only bec tennis is my sport of choice.

its.like.that
11-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Michael Campbell has played better this year than Woods.

;)

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 04:58 PM
i don't understand your argument either. a tennis Slam has a 128-person draw. therefore a player potentially has any one of those 127 other players as opponents.
But he doesn't actually have to beat 127 players, he has to win 7 matches. Woods is taking on every other player in the field.

i think it's difficult to compare sports. certainly the type of training and preparation these guys put in to achieve what they have achieved is awesome. i wish they could all win. but as a tennis supporter, i'm gonna hope that the tennis player wins. if i were a golf-supporter posting on golf sites, i would probably support Tiger. and so on.

whichever guy wins it will be as deserving as any of the other three because they have all excelled in their fields. i am rooting for Federer only bec tennis is my sport of choice.
I agree its difficult to compare sports. And don't get me wrong, I prefer tennis to golf. I just admire golfers, I don't think people realise the mental side of the game, most people just see it as a guy hitting a ball around a course. It's so much more than that.

Jimena
11-13-2005, 05:06 PM
I agree its difficult to compare sports.

And yet you do it so easily!

:angel:

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:07 PM
But he doesn't actually have to beat 127 players, he has to win 7 matches. Woods is taking on every other player in the field.in a golf tournament, a player at Tiger's level only has about 8-10 true opponents. the 90 others are just there to make up the field.

in a tennis tournament, a bottomfeeder could put you out in the first round if he is having an especially good day. he may not win another match in the damn tournament -- Muller anyone? -- but he can sure as hell dispatch the favorite in the first round.

but like i said, i think it's difficult to compare sports.

I agree its difficult to compare sports. And don't get me wrong, I prefer tennis to golf. I just admire golfers, I don't think people realise the mental side of the game, most people just see it as a guy hitting a ball around a course. It's so much more than that.i don't have a problem with that. there are a lot of people who don't see what the big deal is with tennis either, and there are many who consider it a girlie sport. unless you actually play a sport, it might be difficult to appreciate the mental and physical abilities required to play it. and that is as true for golf as it is for tennis.

Corey Feldman
11-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Tennis is harder than Golf..
i mean they let women play in Mens golf tournaments now! how easy is that for Tigro to beat :angel:

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 05:13 PM
And yet you do it so easily!

:angel:
I'm comparing it in terms of achievements, which is what this accolade is all about :shrug:

holagirl56
11-13-2005, 05:15 PM
I hope Feds wins it, he deserves it. :)

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 05:17 PM
in a golf tournament, a player at Tiger's level only has about 8-10 true opponents. the 90 others are just there to make up the field.

in a tennis tournament, a bottomfeeder could put you out in the first round if he is having an especially good day. he may not win another match in the damn tournament -- Muller anyone? -- but he can sure as hell dispatch the favorite in the first round.
That is so wrong about Tiger having 8-10 opponents. Golf is a lot easier for an outsider to win a tournament than it is for tennis. Look at some recent major winners, Ben Curtis, Shaun Micheal, Todd Hamilton. They are all pretty much nobodies and were given odds of about 1000/1 to win at the start of the tournaments. That's just for majors as well. When was the last time we had a seriously surprise winner of a GS in tennis?

Jimena
11-13-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm comparing it in terms of achievements, which is what this accolade is all about
But by comparing them in terms of achievement, you're actually comparing how hard it is to win in each sport. That's what you're using to determine achievement. And this, IMO, is not really comparable.

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:22 PM
That is so wrong about Tiger having 8-10 opponents. Golf is a lot easier for an outsider to win a tournament than it is for tennis. Look at some recent major winners, Ben Curtis, Shaun Micheal, Todd Hamilton. They are all pretty much nobodies and were given odds of about 1000/1 to win at the start of the tournaments. That's just for majors as well. When was the last time we had a seriously surprise winner of a GS in tennis?
if you're judging only from the players in the final match, then i agree there are no surprises. but if you look at the entire tournament, it is not unlikely to have a number of surprising losses along the way. this is probably true for all 3 sports. you can't look only at the ones that make it to the final line. there is a lot of intense competition along the way.

and because i really think it's difficult to compare two such completely different sports, i'm gonna put my v-cash where my mouth is and stop doing it. do carry on. :wavey: :wavey:

Dirk
11-13-2005, 05:25 PM
TC :hearts: stupid awards that need to be given out are not important. It is the ones Roger earns at the end of events that matters. :)

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:28 PM
TC :hearts: stupid awards that need to be given out are not important. It is the ones Roger earns at the end of events that matters. :)
Dirk :inlove: i was just about to log off and actually get something done.

i don't get why Tiger is being pushed as the best on a tennisboard. :confused: surely there are golf sites where this opinion would be more welcome.

i just want Rogi's ankle to hold up long enuf for him to win in Shanghai. :cool:

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 05:29 PM
and because i really think it's difficult to compare two such completely different sports, i'm gonna put my v-cash where my mouth is and stop doing it. do carry on. :wavey: :wavey:
:sad: I was enjoying this.

Dirk
11-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Dirk :inlove: i was just about to log off and actually get something done.

i don't get why Tiger is being pushed as the best on a tennisboard. :confused; surely there are golf sites where this opinion would be more welcome.

i just want Rogi's ankle to hold up long enuf for him to win in Shanghai. :cool:

I am sick so Dirky will be here for awhile. :sad: Tiger won what 6 events this year and Roger may end up winning 12. I would love to see Roger get it but I don't see it helping him get the cover of SI which is really something he deserves. As long as he wins the Cup then I will be happy.

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:32 PM
I am sick so Dirky will be here for awhile. :sad: Tiger won what 6 events this year and Roger may end up winning 12. I would love to see Roger get it but I don't see it helping him get the cover of SI which is really something he deserves. As long as he wins the Cup then I will be happy.
what's wrong with you? i was sick with an upset stomach all day yesterday. stayed in last night as a result but i feel good today.

i would love it if Rogi would end up on the cover of SI but he is competing with two Americans.

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 05:34 PM
i don't get why Tiger is being pushed as the best on a tennisboard. :confused: surely there are golf sites where this opinion would be more welcome.
What so because I'm on a tennis messageboard I can't say Tiger would be a more deserving winner?

Roger has enough people up his ass from this forum anyway, I'm sure he won't mind me going the other way :)

Dirk
11-13-2005, 05:34 PM
what's wrong with you? i was sick with an upset stomach all day yesterday. stayed in last night as a result but i feel good today.

i would love it if Rogi would end up on the cover of SI but he is competing with two Americans.

Sore throat and stuffed up nose. :sad: Roger will not get it unless he does the GRAND SLAM and unless there isn't a misbehaving football, basketball, or baseball star that week. :rolleyes:

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:37 PM
What so because I'm on a tennis messageboard I can't say Tiger would be a more deserving winner?

Roger has enough people up his ass from this forum anyway, I'm sure he won't mind me going the other way :)
you have every right to post whatever you want to. i just think that your opinion would be more welcome on a golf site. you'd probably get better arguments about which golf player deserves it more than Tiger etc etc. and speaking only for myself, if being up Rogelio's ass will get him on the cover of SI, look out bunghole, here i come.

Dirk
11-13-2005, 05:38 PM
you have every right to post whatever you want to. i just think that your opinion would be more welcome on a golf site. you'd probably get better arguments about which golf player deserves it more than Tiger etc etc. and speaking only for myself, if being up Rogelio's ass will get him on the cover of SI, look out bunghole, here i come.

If Roger was american he would have likely been on there twice. I can't believe they gave Maria the cover over Roger. :fiery:

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Sore throat and stuffed up nose. :sad: Roger will not get it unless he does the GRAND SLAM and unless there isn't a misbehaving football, basketball, or baseball star that week. :rolleyes:
drink plenty of liquids including lots and lots of soup. i am going thru a soup phase myself these days. bought myself a crockpot and have been making enuf soup to feel the neighborhood. ;)

now i'm off. take care of yourself. our boy looked nice last night. i'm glad that Nalby tested him. made for a nice match and of course an awesome outcome. cya. :wavey: :wavey:

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Fine, I apologise.

Federer to win SI Sportsman of the Year :rolleyes:

Dirk
11-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Fine, I apologise.

Federer to win SI Sportsman of the Year :rolleyes:

You have seen the light. :worship:

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:41 PM
If Roger was american he would have likely been on there twice. I can't believe they gave Maria the cover over Roger. :fiery:
Maria is starting to look pretty butch. she's now got the shoulders of a football player. i don't think she'll be getting too many more of these covers. :lol:

:wavey:

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Erm. Maria isn't American either if you look at her passport.

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Fine, I apologise.

Federer to win SI Sportsman of the Year
apology unecessary. :p

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Erm. Maria isn't American either if you look at her passport.
not legally. but she sounds so American that she is accepted as one.

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 05:45 PM
not legally. but she sounds so American that she is accepted as one.
Federer sounds German, so maybe he should try making it onto the front cover of a German magazine :shrug:

tennischick
11-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Federer sounds German, so maybe he should try making it onto the front cover of a German magazine :shrug:
and you're an ignorant fool who has wasted enuf of my time. over and out.

catch you later Dirk :kiss:

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 05:49 PM
and you're an ignorant fool who has wasted enuf of my time. over and out.

catch you later Dirk :kiss:
Do I not get a kiss too? :sad:

Dirk
11-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Do I not get a kiss too? :sad:

Let me give you some tips on getting kisses from TC, you have to be nice to Roger. ;)

Fedex
11-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Well Federer speaks swiss german, so maybe that's where you get that from.

Fedex
11-13-2005, 06:45 PM
I would love to see Roger get it but I don't see it helping him get the cover of SI which is really something he deserves.
Sadly,No. If my instincts are correct, that blowhard T.O. will get the SI cover.

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Let me give you some tips on getting kisses from TC, you have to be nice to Roger. ;)
That rules that possibility out then :p

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Well Federer speaks swiss german, so maybe that's where you get that from.
I know, it was a poor attempt at a joke.

1sun
11-13-2005, 07:11 PM
lol, adam adam adam, that was sum lame shit

Fedex
11-13-2005, 07:16 PM
I know, it was a poor attempt at a joke.
And if you're in need of anymore lame joke attempts, just watch 'Last Call with Carson Daly'.

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 07:47 PM
And if you're in need of anymore lame joke attempts, just watch 'Last Call with Carson Daly'.
We don't get that in the UK unfortunately :sad:

I can pick up enough lame jokes from a British "comedian" called Jonny Vegas though. I shall try and produce more in the future :D

(For non-Brits that may not be aware, the Irish have a reputation for being a little bit stupid :p )

There's an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman and they've been lost in a desert with no food for the last 4 days. All of a sudden they stumble across a lamp, the Englishman rubs it and a genie appears. The genie says "I will grant you all 1 wish". The Englishman goes first. "I want to be back in England with my lovely wife and family". WHOOSH, 1 second later he is back with his wife and family. The Scotsman goes next. "I want to be back in Scotland, where the alcohol is flowing and I can eat some proper food". WHOOSH, 1 second later he is in a pub in Scotland. The Irishman goes last. "Y'know, I'm feeling kind of lonely here. I wish for the other 2 to come back".

1sun
11-13-2005, 08:00 PM

I can pick up enough lame jokes from a British "comedian" called Jonny Vegas though. I shall try and produce more in the future :D

(For non-Brits that may not be aware, the Irish have a reputation for being a little bit stupid :p )

There's an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman and they've been lost in a desert with no food for the last 4 days. All of a sudden they stumble across a lamp, the Englishman rubs it and a genie appears. The genie says "I will grant you all 1 wish". The Englishman goes first. "I want to be back in England with my lovely wife and family". WHOOSH, 1 second later he is back with his wife and family. The Scotsman goes next. "I want to be back in Scotland, where the alcohol is flowing and I can eat some proper food". WHOOSH, 1 second later he is in a pub in Scotland. The Irishman goes last. "Y'know, I'm feeling kind of lonely here. I wish for the other 2 to come back".

:haha: :haha: :haha:
that definately makes up for it

Corey Feldman
11-13-2005, 08:00 PM
shocking adee :p

adee-gee
11-13-2005, 08:12 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:
that definately makes up for it

shocking adee :p
Mixed reviews :scratch:

User ID 4783
11-13-2005, 08:24 PM

what a joke... :shrug: :p

Peoples
11-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Cool but I can see a lot more reasons why Armstrong would get it because his career is pretty much over and he ended in top with an amazing record. But his tennis sucks so of course I want it to go to Federer :cool: