My days in Palermo: Paulo and others! (very long) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

My days in Palermo: Paulo and others! (very long)

Lindsayfan
09-25-2003, 09:09 AM
hi all,I'm just back from Palermo where i spent 2 nice days,i met Paulo and all players i liked there.I'm completely satisfied as I accomplied everything I was supposed to do. ;)
Chapter one: PAULO! I took something like 20 pics of him or maybe more..I'll post them here as soon as they r developed.I met him several times in 2 days:first time it was on tuesday,2 hours before his match.I was watching Acasuso and Paulo suddendly appeared at my back.he was in hurry but i took the chance to approach him and ask him for a pic together.so i was like "Could i have a picture with u?" he said "yeahhhhh" and put his arm on my shoulders.my bf took the pic;i didnt have the time to thank him that he already was 20 mt away from me.
after that,I went to see his match.it was an incredible match and i'm happy he won it cos he had 5 matchpoints and missed all of them...he won on the last mp in tiebreak (he had mp on 5-4 and 6-5).He played so and so,he was trying to dictate every point but often he was the first to make an error.ppl were supporting him,shouting "go mathieu" (with a horrible italian pronounciation!LOL)- he was there with a "coach" or maybe i should call him just a "sparring partner" who couldnt stop smoking for the whole match.France 2 cameras were there;they taped some rallies and then they took an interview with paulo and his coach at the end of his match while he was doing cyclette! (Marine: you have to check when this emission will be on air!!)
after his interview,he run away talking at his mobile phone and i run after him cos he should sign a pic for me and one for Liz.he did it,and again when i thanked him,he just smiled without saying a word.
then he went to an area reserved to players where there was a big swimming pool and a bar,and also a big park where players could enjoy a bit of rest.I was able to watch in,but i wasnt able to come in.Paulo was streching with his coach again and at one time...he took his shirt off!! :eek: :p what I had to do?! of course I had to take pics of Paulo shirtless and....I did it (thanks to my Zoom :worship: cos he was 100 mt away from me!). Off topic: Liz I cant wait to see ur face LMAO
I also met him on wednesday when I asked him to sign an other pic (for an other friend),and i watched a little bit of his training and taking other pics.
Conclusion: Paulo's nice but not very talkative,so if you expect to come there and share some jokes with him,he will disappoint you.i dunno if he's just shy and discrete,or he doesnt like to talk to fans...
dont get me wrong: he's nice,he'll never tell you "no" if u ask him for a pic or an autograph,but he isnt as nice and talkative as Corretja or Pavel who really impressed me for their kindess.

CHAPTER TWO: the rest of players! I took pics of myself and Corretja, myself and Pavel,both of them r so niceeee,probably the nicest players i've ever met (behind Guy and Lindsay,of course! ;) )
Corretja had to retire in his match vs Almagro when he was down 3-1 first set.he was so upset,he was almost crying,you could see that he really wanted to play but he wasnt just able to do it.so he retired and his fans were truly disappointed cos u know we all thought to not bother him with pics,autographs etc as he was so sad.He was sitting with some spanish players in the restaurant,and wasnt really talkative.players were trying to cheer him up.I've been waited for like 1 hour in the restaurant,waiting for him.i would have tried anyway to ask him a pic.
when he stood up,i run after him and he saw me running and stopped to walk.i got closer and said in italian (as he speaks it fluently) that i was sorry for him,and to not give up,and if i had a pic with him.he said "sure",smiled and put his arm in my low back.he was the only one to not hug me in my shoulder but lower LOL dont get me wrong!
neway we took the pic and i thanked him,he said "it's me to have to thank you for all ur support" awww nice!! :inlove:
Pavel: despite he lost on monday,he was still there to practise.I met him yesterday,he was watching Hanescu's match with his coach (a very nice black guy) and i asked him for an autograph and i wished him "welcome back after his injury".he thanked me warmly.then he talked at telephone and i was taking a pic of that til his coach told me "hey do ya want a pic with him?" I was surprised he started to talk to me LOL i said "yes,it would be great,thanks" and he said "are u french?" I said "no i'm italian why?" he said "cos ur accent sounds like a french" I was :eek: and said "no maybe it's cos i'm studying french right now" and he asked me why etc.we talked for 5 minutes waiting for Pavel who was still on the phone.I kept saying that I woudnt bother him again but his coach told me "no it's ok,he's a nice guy" and we both laughed.when Pavel ended his call,he agreed smiling and told me "sorry if if u had to wait for me" I was like "no it was just 5 minutes,it's ok!" and he hugged me and his coach took the pic.the funny thing was the he had a pair of shorts in his hand and he kept them with the same hand he was hugging me so maybe in the pic u can see it! then we stayed other 5 minutes watching the end of hanescu's match and keep talking about his injury etc.he said now he feels good but he's rusty and needs to practise and play days and days to be in the best shape again.I met him again 4 hours after,cos he was practising in the same Paulo's court,and he said "hello" and winked me LOL ;)
other players i want to say stg about: Acasuso (very cute but a bit rude),Alberto Martin (i expected him to be horrible from tv instead he got a great body!),Volandri (very nice and outgoing,i took lots of pix of him...our italian pride!lol),Rochus (always happy and smiling!).

all my pics are still to come on this thread.I hope this report wasnt too long or too boring to read! :angel:

lizabeth..*
09-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Computer finally working....

Vale - Jealous girl...VERY jealous but thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for getting that autograph for me. I will be FOREVER greatfull. Your the best girl.

Glad to see you had so much fun and cant WAIT to see your pics!!!

Marine
09-25-2003, 06:20 PM
:worship: thnks vale, for ur report, and for ur future pics !!!!!!
We 're going have finally new paulo's pics, I'm happyyy !!!
Yes, Paulo is shy, and it's which makes all his charm :inlove: ! lol
France 2...it's funny, beacause my cousin was in l'open de l'isere on tuedsay evening, and she told me france 2 was here too, and was filming Tarik and Richie !!! So I guess there will be a report soon, in tout le sport, or stade 2, about Richie and Paulo ! Great news !!!!!!!!
For sure, if I watch them at tv, I'll try to find the videos !

irishface
09-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Great report, thanks Vale!

*trying to imagine "Matthieu" in an Italian accent* LOL

Sounds like you had a good time. :o)

Aw, what did Acasuso do? :o( He was a sweetie at Wimby.

Marine
09-26-2003, 02:40 PM
He, Vale, I didn't know you've a french accent ! :confused: :lol:

Lindsayfan
09-26-2003, 04:05 PM
some Paulo's pics

Lindsayfan
09-26-2003, 04:07 PM
:D

Marine
09-26-2003, 06:16 PM
:drool: :drool: :inlove:

THANK YOU VALE, I LOVE YOUR PICS !!! AND I LOVE PAULO !!!!!!!!!
Merci merci merci ! :smooch:

Lindsayfan
09-26-2003, 07:12 PM
THANK YOU VALE, I LOVE YOUR PICS !!! AND I LOVE PAULO !!!!!!!!!
Merci merci merci ! :smooch:

;) :angel:

Lindsayfan
09-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Irishface,Acasuso didnt do anything wrong!he was just very cold to ppl who were asking him autographs etc.

lizabeth..*
09-27-2003, 12:24 AM
OHHH MYYY FREAKING GOD :worship: :worship:
VALE.....MY heart stopped beating I swear. That one of his back where he is putting his top on....I actually nearly died.
They are sooooooo good - Shirtless ones are killing me too. :drool:
I cannot speak I am so.......overwhelmed. :crazy:
They are GREAT
Thanking you!!!!!!!!!

Marine
09-27-2003, 06:14 PM
PAULO IS IN FINAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:
Some weeks ago, he was not able to win 2 matchs in the same tounament, and today he won 2 matchs in the same day !!! :)

Lindsayfan
09-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Marine: after Paulo met me,his life has changed! :p j/k

Marine
09-27-2003, 10:30 PM
...vale, electrochoc ! :lol:
But you know, his life will really change when he will meet me...he doesn't still know, paulo, but...umm...coupe de foudre, and wedding ! :angel:

Lindsayfan
09-28-2003, 09:26 AM
i thought he already had a girlfriend... :p

Marine
09-29-2003, 03:24 PM
In stade 2, there was a great report about Paulo (unfortunatly, no link on this website site of stade 2 :sad: ), 5 min...paulo feels good, smiling, cute, nice, etc... :angel:
I taped it, so I'll take some pics for you, Liz ! BUt later, not before wednesday...

Marine
09-29-2003, 04:01 PM
One paulo's pic, for the others, go to http://funkychicken.hyperboards2.com/index.cgi (publicity... :p )

http://www.internazionalidisicilia.it/gallery/2003929113051.jpg

In "stade 2", we can see paulo with his mobile pc...liz, u should give him ur url for funkychikens ! :p :p

irishface
09-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Great piccies, thanks Vale. That's too bad that Jose was cold. He was very sweet when I got his autograph last year. :shrug:

lizabeth..*
09-30-2003, 04:31 AM
MARRIINNNEEE THAT PHOTO IS HOT
You girls want me dead dont you?! If so your going the right way about it, these photos of Paulo are killing me.
*Cant wait till he comes here in Janurary*
Add Marine - Good girl for giving my dying site some publicity. LOL

Marine
09-30-2003, 04:15 PM
There is an artcile about Paulo in the daily newspaper "la parisien", it's so rare !!!!
NO time to translate, maybe tomorrow, but you can use google...

"Mathieu, tennisman abandonné"

13 victoires et autant de bonheur que de malheur. C'est l'enchainement epoustouflant qui avait permis à Mathieu, il y a 1 an, de réaliser le doublé aux tournois de Moscou et Lyon. La suite virait carrément au conte de fées: la consécration en équipe de France, et enfin, l'etiquette de héro national qui s'offrait à lui à 2 sets à zéro en sa faveur lors de la finale de la coupe davis contre le Russe Youhzny dans le match décisif. Puis la défaite, celle de la France et les larmes, le trou noir interminable...
"Le jeune premier", comme l'avait surnommé Paris match (magazine) à la France entière en octobre 2002, s'est "égaré", selon son clan. L'homme blessé, physiquement et mentalement, vient tout de meme de refaire surface, à Palerme, la rage au ventre. Encore insuffisant certes pour convertir 3 balles de match consécutives en finale, mais encouragement au vu d'une sinistre année 2003: aucune victoire en grand chelem, 2 dans les masters series, et 11 défaites au 1er tour...
En juillet, Thierry Champion, son coach, a laissé tomber, "pour créer un électrochoc". Isolé, esseulé, Paul-Henri, 21 ans, s'est raccroché aux siens, à sa famille, et à Elisabeth Rosnet, psychologue, qui le connait depuis son adolescencence, au pole france de Reims. Une fois par mois, celle-ci l'aide à retrouver la confiance. En tournoi, il lui téléphone avant et après chaque match. ( :p what a lucky girl) ! L'échéance de Moscou, dès aujourd"hui, et de Lyon, la semaine prochaine, Elisabeth et Paul-Henri y travaillent depuis des mois pour elle, depuis Roland Garros pour lui.
En cas d'echec prématuré, PHM peut peut perdre 100 places au classement mondial (il est 47 ème). Le pire a été envisagé pour "dédramatiser la situation". Après tout, il n'a que 21 ans et un réal potentiel.
"Paul-Henri va rebondir, demain ou dans 6 mois, insiste son père. Je suis persuadé qu'il va faire de gros trucs quand on l'attendra le moins...".
Le sursaut de Palerme résonne déja comme un premier écho. Cette semaine, Patrick Mathieu va surement trouver une oreille fédérale + attentive à Paris, pour négocier l'engagement d'Olivier Soulès, coach du jeune Tsonga, pour son fils, qui n'a pas eu les mêmes attentions que Richard Gasquet.
"Paul-Henri a le sentiment d'etre abandonné par tout le monde, la fédération en particulier, affirme Patrick Mathieu...Seul dans un taxi en direction de la Pologne, il nous a apellé au milieu de la nuit. IL y a eu, comme ça, beaucoup de moments de détresse. On lui remonte constamment le moral. POur l"instant, il n'a aucune stabilité." Mais du courage à revendre, comme la semaine dernière en Sicile. "C'était un bon tournoi, car je me suis sans cesse battu", constate "Paulo", qui aura fort à faire cette semaine à Moscou. A ses cotés, il aura, comme à Parlerme, Bertrand Perret, l''entraineur de son enfance. Pour se sentir moins seul.

Lindsayfan
09-30-2003, 09:25 PM
OHHH!!!! I didnt expect french federation to abandon him!!! :eek: Maybe they r too much focused on Richie's career? :rolleyes:

Lindsayfan
09-30-2003, 10:08 PM
it's a very dramatic article...they say all the bad things who happened in paulo's year,like all his defeats,his DC final lost,his mental problems etc.
Paulo's dad accuses the french federation to abandon his son,but it adds that Paulo's dad is going to meet a french coach Soulès,who's likely to be Paulo's next coach.right now he travels with his first coach just to not feel alone and he's seeing a psycologist who's a close friend of him since he was a boy.it also says that if Paulo will lose early in Moscow and/or Lyon,he'll drop 100 positions :eek:

esther
10-01-2003, 02:50 AM
i feel SO behind!!!
vale- i'm so happy you had such a great time in palermo!! :D

ok why is no one posting at our other *beloved* site?????? i'm very very ashamed of you people!! ok no i'm just joking but since everyone is playing now and after paulos and richies finals last week (me being away was good luck i tell u) and its the business end of the season now...we need that site going.
wouldnt i be a great motivational coach :rolleyes: ;)