Davis Cup Cheering Thread for Slovakia! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup Cheering Thread for Slovakia!

Scotso
11-10-2005, 05:22 AM
I think we need a general one of these, too, not just in the forums.

Not long now!

GO SLOVAKIA! :D

savesthedizzle
11-10-2005, 05:24 AM
SLOVAKIA!!

VAMOS!

Papakori
11-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Good luck Slovakia!

Is there a slovakian word we can use like the french use Allez?

Scotso
11-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I've often wondered that... but no one ever seems to know what it is :p

Let's find a Slovak and ask them :D

Papakori
11-12-2005, 08:38 PM
yes, maybe the one who told us about Dominik's girlfriend could possibly help out..

Scotso
11-12-2005, 09:27 PM
There are a few Slovaks on the board but they don't post obsessively like we do ;)

jole
11-13-2005, 03:32 AM
Goooo Slovak Republic! :D

Scotso
11-13-2005, 04:04 AM
I think they're gonna win :D

jole
11-21-2005, 09:26 PM
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3730/onetowatch6jc.jpg

We aren't too far off! :bounce:

MonikaVa
11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3730/onetowatch6jc.jpg

We aren't too far off! :bounce:

Well since I will be there in Sibamac Arena next weekend and am Slovak I will be screaming SLOVENSKO! and DOMINO as usual. We dont have any word in Slovak as allez, we scream the same at ice hockey too - as far I heard Domino he screams at ice hockey the same....

Scotso
11-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I was wondering what the Slovak word like allez was, but you don't have one?

What do you say?

MonikaVa
11-23-2005, 09:15 AM
I was wondering what the Slovak word like allez was, but you don't have one?

What do you say?

We say DO TOHO, which is the equivalent of allez, but while cheering in Slovakia we usually scream SLOVENSKO whether at DC or WCH in ice hockey. For Dominic plays it is rather particular DOMINO. I am expecting to have problem speaking after next DC weekend in NTC.

Papakori
11-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks Monika! :D

Scotso
11-23-2005, 06:14 PM
yes thank you :D

Alek
11-25-2005, 05:39 AM
GO SVK!
SLOVAKIA

Scotso
11-25-2005, 05:42 AM
GO SVK!
SLOVAKIA

:hug:

jole
11-25-2005, 05:44 AM
Slovensko! :D

Chloe le Bopper
11-25-2005, 05:46 AM
Allez!

Scotso
11-25-2005, 05:49 AM
:bounce:

MonikaVa
11-25-2005, 12:39 PM

Latest picture of our DC team (looking not particullary happy, hope for more smiles in two weeks time!

Scotso
11-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Karol looks so cute there! :D

Scotso
11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
I read that they sold 1,000 tickets to Croatians :mad:

why?! they should have made the crowd all Slovaks.

MonikaVa
11-26-2005, 10:14 AM
I read that they sold 1,000 tickets to Croatians :mad:

why?! they should have made the crowd all Slovaks.

According to DC regulation you have to give some % of tickets to the other side. But the problem was, that they started to sell the tickets in Bratislava for our fans only in National Tennis centre where at that time the Challanger was played in one day and there were only less then 300 tickets to sell for each day before they even opened.
There were people waiting already day before and all of them never been to DC or tennis before. They were students and homeless people who were buying the maximum number of tickets allowed per person (12 together) for someone who paid them to do it. And these people were croats, agencies and black market people.
Domino came out from training in NTC and gave everyone waiting his autogramm and he looked rather surprised to see this kind of people there (not his usual fans). I got my tickets after waiting 6 hrs from black market too.

Scotso
11-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't like that there will be so many Croats there :rolleyes:

They have home field advantage for a reason. Hopefully the Slovaks will drown them out.

jole
11-26-2005, 06:07 PM
According to DC regulation you have to give some % of tickets to the other side. But the problem was, that they started to sell the tickets in Bratislava for our fans only in National Tennis centre where at that time the Challanger was played in one day and there were only less then 300 tickets to sell for each day before they even opened.
There were people waiting already day before and all of them never been to DC or tennis before. They were students and homeless people who were buying the maximum number of tickets allowed per person (12 together) for someone who paid them to do it. And these people were croats, agencies and black market people.
Domino came out from training in NTC and gave everyone waiting his autogramm and he looked rather surprised to see this kind of people there (not his usual fans). I got my tickets after waiting 6 hrs from black market too.

Thanks for your information as usual, Monika.

Scotso
11-27-2005, 04:50 AM
she's a fountain of knowledge, isn't she? i guess it helps that she lives in Slovakia :D

MonikaVa
11-28-2005, 06:32 AM
she's a fountain of knowledge, isn't she? i guess it helps that she lives in Slovakia :D

I guess it does help living 5 minutes away from Sibamac arena and being a tennis freak as well.....

Scotso
11-28-2005, 12:32 PM

I'm glad someone from the boards will be there to cheer them on :D

jole
11-29-2005, 02:04 AM
http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/DC_5071_gallery.JPG

From: http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?id=13506

Games begin off court in Bratislava The week leading up to a Davis Cup tie often contains its own contests and intrigues ahead of the real business at the weekend, as the teams try to gain the upper hand before a ball is struck.

This is nearly always true of the Final, as nations sense the ultimate goal is within their grasp. Right on cue, the Slovak Republic and Croatia started the phoney war today – the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Final is in some senses already underway.

Not that you would have known this from outside the Sibamac Arena. This intimate stadium nestles in a quiet district in Bratislava, surrounded by residential buildings and the imposing Tehelne Pole soccer stadium, home to one of the Slovak Republic’s leading teams, Slovan Bratislava.

Step inside though, and it is immediately apparent that something special is going on, with paint being applied liberally, commentary booths being built, and a whole host of other preparations to ensure that this Final is a successful event. The difference in scale from last year’s Final, held in the massive Estadio Olimpico, is striking – and an indication of the uniqueness of the Davis Cup as a competition.

Try telling these two nations that a smaller Final is somehow less important though. For both, this tennis match is about putting their young nations on the map, asserting a national identity on the world stage. Often, players practise in whatever clothes are at hand during a Davis Cup week, saving their team uniforms for the weekend. It was noticeable that even today, Monday, both teams were already proudly displaying their team colours.

The Slovaks appeared before the press today, resplendent in the national ice hockey tops that have become a trademark of their quest to win the Davis Cup. Meanwhile just a few metres away in the arena itself, the Croatian team was hard at work on the court, Ivan Ljubicic wearing his specially-designed Croatian shirt, produced specially for this Final; and a certain Goran Ivanisevic was hitting with ‘Croatia’ emblazoned across his back. It was as if he had never retired.

Ah yes - retirement – the other theme of the day. Ivanisevic himself was out practising for hours, first with Mario Ancic, then in the afternoon with Ljubicic. Surely he won’t play in one of the singles rubbers?

That was probably the very question the Croats were hoping to plant in the Slovaks’ mind, but the hosts had similar ideas. All of the Slovak team agreed at the press conference that the semi-retired Karol Kucera, who has said he will fully retire after the Final, is playing so well in pratice that he is a viable alternative to Karol Beck as the second singles player, behind Dominik Hrbaty.There was even talk that Kucera defeated Hrbaty in a recent practice match.

“I can’t dream of a better ending to my career than playing in the Davis Cup Final,” said the 31 year-old Kucera, currently ranked No. 295.

“I’m trying to do my best not just to make up the numbers – hopefully my form will mean I could be used for singles as well.”

For his part Karol Beck talked of his knee and elbow injuries (he retired from both of his last two matches on the tour, at AMS Madrid and St Petersburg in October), and said that although they were improving, he would see how they were in practice today.

Claiming that the opposition is nearly certain to win and therefore has all the pressure on its shoulders is now a familiar psychological tactic in any sport, but Hrbaty presented convincing evidence to back his version today – the poll on the Daviscup.com homepage.

“I feel no pressure, Croatia are the favourites. I saw on the Davis Cup website that 80% of people think that Croatia is going to win.

“We are often a dark horse in Davis Cup, hopefully we can do it again.”

Scotso
11-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Spank them, Slovakia! :D

I hope that Karol is better and can play well. I want him to prove a few people wrong. ;)

jole
11-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Here are some audio interviews:

Karol Beck - http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/audio/mp3/DC_5073_mp3.MP3

Dominik Hrbaty - http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/audio/mp3/DC_5069_mp3.MP3

Karol Kucera - http://www.daviscup.com/shared/medialibrary/audio/mp3/DC_5064_mp3.MP3

Scotso
11-29-2005, 02:31 AM
:worship:

Karol sounds so adorable ;)

MonikaVa
11-29-2005, 07:23 AM
:worship:

Karol sounds so adorable ;)

You think? He seemed to me rather pissed yeasterday on his own press conference, since obviously he wasn´t told about the teams press conference and drove home to Zvolen instead to visit his physiotherapist....

Scotso
11-29-2005, 04:42 PM
pissed or not pissed, he has a nice voice :D

Scotso
11-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Monika, what is the word on Karol's "doping" :rolleyes: is it pure bullshit or what?

MonikaVa
11-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Monika, what is the word on Karol's "doping" :rolleyes: is it pure bullshit or what?

This has been going around here since October, and right now there are some speculations about it too, but what seems to be more important is his knee injury. We will know tommorow how it does really look like when they do the draw for the weekend.

Scotso
11-30-2005, 05:43 PM
This is like a nightmare for me. :sad:

I hope it isn't true. I really hope it isn't true. And I hope it doesn't ruin his career.

I wonder if they're trying to get Karol out because of this. Hopefully we'll hear more about this soon.

MonikaVa
12-01-2005, 07:21 AM

I hope it isn't true. I really hope it isn't true. And I hope it doesn't ruin his career.

I wonder if they're trying to get Karol out because of this. Hopefully we'll hear more about this soon.

I am trying to stay positive and still believe that all this rumours about Beckys playing or not are actually deliberate tacticts of Mecir to get the Croats confused about who will play since he made all the difference against Argentina (at least until today 11am).

MonikaVa
12-01-2005, 10:33 AM

To relieve your suffering, this is the DC Finals draw with Beckys playing as I expected (everything else just typical rumours...)

Friday
13.45 h opening ceremony
Karol Beck - Ivan Ljubičič
Dominik Hrbatý - Mario Ančič

Saturday
Karol Beck, Michal Mertiňák - Mario Ančič, Ivan Ljubičič

Sunday
Dominik Hrbatý - Ivan Ljubičič
Karol Beck - Mario Ančič

Scotso
12-01-2005, 12:48 PM
go Karol :D :D :D :D

thanks Monika!

Scotso
12-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Beck denies doping rumour before Davis Cup final
Thu Dec 1, 2005 1:44 PM GMT
By Martyn Herman

BRATISLAVA, Dec 1 (Reuters) - Slovakia's number two Karol Beck denied failing a dope test earlier this year after being selected on Thursday to play in the Davis Cup final against Croatia.

On Wednesday rumours circulated concerning a possible positive test given by Beck during the semi-final against Argentina in Bratislava, prompting suggestions that 31-year-old Karol Kucera would play in his place.

Beck, the world number 57, had been a doubt for the tie after struggling to overcome a knee injury that has sidelined him since the St Petersburg Open in October.

However at Thursday's draw inside Bratislava Castle, Slovakia captain Miloslav Mecir picked Beck, who will open the tie on Friday against Croatia's world number nine Ivan Ljubicic.

Asked if he had given a positive test, Beck said: "No!"

Of the speculation, he added: "I wasn't surprised because I sort of expected this kind of issue. I have been dealing with this for over two weeks.

"I am concentrating on the match, I mean, I feel fine. I had trouble with my knee, it was aching quite a lot. But over the last few days things have improved significantly. I'm looking forward to the match and hope we win."

Mecir said he had decided his line-up on Thursday morning, adding that the rumours surrounding Beck had been an unfortunate distraction.

"It's really unpleasant to answer questions like this," the former U.S. Open runner-up said. "I don't know the source of the information.

"Definitely it brings an element of discomfort to the team, to the team spirit, but we try to overcome it with our spirit."

LOSING RECORD

Beck has a 1-3 losing record against Ljubicic and will have to break the Croat's 100 percent record in this year's competition if he is to give the hosts a winning start.

"Ljubicic is a great player, his indoor record is absolutely awesome," said 23-year-old Beck. "I have to play at my best to be able to beat him.

"But we also have to take into consideration that Davis Cup is different. There is the psychological element. I will do my best and we'll see what comes out of it."

Providing his knee injury does not flare up, Beck will play in Saturday's doubles with Michal Mertinak and face Mario Ancic in the second reverse singles on Sunday.

jole
12-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Friday ends with the score being tied 1-1.

Ivan Ljubicic d. Karol Kucera 6-3 6-4 6-3

Karol Kucera tried his best, but in reality it was not too realistic to expect him to be able to compete against someone like Ljubicic. Karol did make it respectable though. Good try. :)

Dominik Hrbaty d. Mario Ancic 7-6(4) 6-3 6-7(4) 6-4

Dominik then took on Ancic. Dominik played almost flawless, as he never faced a single break point the entire match. Ancic had 30+ aces, but Dominik still managed to break him a decent amount of times, and took the match in 4 sets. Way to show them what you're made of, Dominik. :D

thelma
12-02-2005, 06:55 PM

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-12-02T194529Z_01_BRA14D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-DAVIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-12-02T193002Z_01_BRA13D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-12-02T191841Z_01_BRA12D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-12-02T174924Z_01_PEJ16D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-DAVIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-12-02T174307Z_01_PEJ10D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-12-02T173745Z_01_PEJ14D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-DAVIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-12-02T173512Z_01_PEJ13D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-12-02T171000Z_01_BRA11D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

jole
12-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the great piccies, Thelma!

Scotso
12-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Beckster was there, yes?

I'm happy for Dom de Dom Dom :D Hopefully he'll beat Ljubicic and shut him up.

jole
12-03-2005, 03:09 AM
Some quotes from Dominik after the match:

“I can rate this match as one of the best matches I played in Davis Cup throughout my career,” said Hrbaty afterwards.

He was also asked how it is that he is virtually unbeatable at home in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas.

“It’s very simple: you have to love tennis, you have to love the audience that is watching you, you have to love the country and your nation, and fight for its glory.”

Hrbaty said afterwards that the support from his home fans had undoubtedly helped him.

“There was so much noise on the court, maybe the fans are not even aware of it in the auditorium, but from time to time I felt like I had to even cover my ears from the sound. The atmosphere was really perfect.”

“The doubles might be crucial, so we have to fight for the victory,” agreed Hrbaty.

“There has been always a tradition for us to get a point every day. I sincerely believe we stick to our tradition and get a crucial point tomorrow.”

Dommy! :bounce:

Scotso
12-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Dom :)

Scotso
12-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Well it's tied at 2-2 now thanks to Dominik's amazing win, and now it goes down to Michal vs. Mario for the DC title :eek:

go Michal!

jole
12-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Ancic d. Mertinak 7-6(1) 6-3 6-4.

Ancic served big, and had too much experience for Mertinak on the big points. Michal tried his best, but it was unrealistic to expect him to have a high percentage chance of winning this match.

I feel bad for Dominik, playing so many unbelievable matches and to be short by 1 win. Shit happens though, and I am so very proud of the Slovak Davis Cup team. :D

Scotso
12-04-2005, 08:25 PM
They'll win it next year when Karol's knee is better and he stops taking some pleasure puffs ;)

me_luv_Dommy
12-04-2005, 08:26 PM
ohhhhhhhh.......I'm so sad, that they lost.....but yup I'm so proud of them too. And Dominik will always be my hero ^^

me_luv_Dommy
12-04-2005, 08:27 PM
yeah yeah...I wish they will win next year! We need Karol!!!!

Scotso
12-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Slovakia was one match from winning DC... that's something to be proud of.

And Dominik was amazing for his country this year! :)

As always...

MonikaVa
12-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Beckster was there, yes?

I'm happy for Dom de Dom Dom :D Hopefully he'll beat Ljubicic and shut him up.

Yes, Beckis was there at the opening ceremony (made some photos of all of them), then he left and I haven´t seen him there most of the time on Friday. It was said that they draw water from his knee Friday morning and therefore Karol Kucera had to play, what he found out at noon.
Domino was his usual terrific self and won against the croatian serving machine on Friday and played great tennis against Ljubicic (who admitted later that he throw up after second set because of the pills against his kneck pain). U
nfortunately Beckis not being able to play made all the difference this weekend. Michal tried his best yeasterday, but he was never a singles player.
You would probably like the offical programm from the DC finals, there are lots of Beckis pics as kid, I like most the one where Mecir is teaching him to make a tie.

Scotso
12-05-2005, 06:25 PM
awwww can you scan them? :hearts:

I hope his knee gets better in time for the Australian Open :sad:

MonikaVa
12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
awwww can you scan them? :hearts:

I hope his knee gets better in time for the Australian Open :sad:

He looked very sad, that he couldn´t do anything about winning DC. I felt almost more sorry for him then Domino, who was giving his life and soul in order to win it.
I can´t scan the pictures, but will try to make a good photo of them and post them over Xsmas, way too busy now.

Scotso
12-06-2005, 03:02 PM
That's fine, thanks Monika :D

we can keep this thread open for next year :D

jole
04-13-2008, 01:19 AM
Go Slovakia! They are up 2-1 vs. Georgia and Dominik won his singles match in straight sets! :D

Nedved Rosicky
04-13-2008, 05:13 AM
well done!! hope tomorrow will be a good day for Slovakia (both DC and WTA :D )

Juanes
04-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Slovak Republic defeated Georgia 4-1 in Slovak Republic

R1 - I.LABADZE (GEO) def. L.LACKO (SVK)
4-6 7-6(6) 3-6 6-3 19-17
R2 - D.HRBATY (SVK) def. N.ITONISHVILI (GEO)
6-4 6-4 6-4
R3 - M.MERTINAK / F.POLASEK (SVK) def. N.ITONISHVILI / I.LABADZE (GEO)
6-3 6-3 7-5
R4 - L.LACKO (SVK) def. N.ITONISHVILI (GEO)
6-3 6-1 6-3
R5 - F.POLASEK (SVK) def. R.OSADZE (GEO)
6-0 6-4

Nedved Rosicky
04-17-2008, 08:08 AM
World Group Play-offs

Slovak Republic will play Serbia at home, bad draw :(

Baghdatis#1
03-05-2009, 08:53 PM
SVK vs. ITA in ITA this weekend.

I'll be rooting for SVK:D

Fizz
03-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Italy 2 - 1 Slovak Republic

R1 - P.STARACE (ITA) def. D.HRBATY (SVK)
6-1 6-2 6-4

R2 - F.FOGNINI (ITA) def. L.LACKO (SVK)
1-6 6-3 6-2 1-6 6-1

R3 - M.MERTINAK / F.POLASEK (SVK) def. F.CIPOLLA / P.STARACE (ITA)
7-5 4-6 6-0 2-6 9-7

Fizz
03-08-2009, 10:10 AM
R4 - F.FOGNINI (ITA) v. D.HRBATY (SVK)

R5 - P.STARACE (ITA) v. L.LACKO (SVK)

Fizz
03-08-2009, 10:11 AM
C´mon Domino!!! :bigclap:

Fizz
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM
R4 - F.FOGNINI (ITA) def. D.HRBATY (SVK)
7-6(1) 6-1 6-3

R5 - F.CIPOLLA (ITA) def. L.LACKO (SVK)
6-2 7-5

Italy defeated Slovak Republic 4-1

Zirconek
03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
:sobbing:

terrible draw, if the tie was in Bratislava, Slovakia would win easily. :sad:
well, now plays Macedonia or Belarus, might stay at Group I and next year can qualify to World Group 2011 :D

Zirconek
06-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Great time when there were Kucera and Hrbaty, now Hrbaty is about to retire :sad: and Beck is refusing to play in Davis Cup :tape:

So, how will be the Slovak Davis Cup team in a near future and in some years?

Some tallented young guys like Lacko, Klizan, Martin and Mecir Jr. hopefully will establish themselves as top 100-150 and seem a good prospect for the future. Polasek might be the "doubles especialist" player, role of Mertinak in last years.

Cervenak, Semjan and Capkovic may improve too and make the squad in next ties.

Zirconek
08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Great time when there were Kucera and Hrbaty, now Hrbaty is about to retire :sad: and Beck is refusing to play in Davis Cup :tape:

So, how will be the Slovak Davis Cup team in a near future and in some years?

Some tallented young guys like Lacko, Klizan, Martin and Mecir Jr. hopefully will establish themselves as top 100-150 and seem a good prospect for the future. Polasek might be the "doubles especialist" player, role of Mertinak in last years.

Cervenak, Semjan and Capkovic may improve too and make the squad in next ties.

I'd add Filip Horanský to DC squads in next 10 years :p maybe Kovalik as well?

Filo V.
05-08-2010, 12:21 AM
The Slovaks lost to Austria in March in Austria, 2-3, with Klizan and Lacko losing their matches to Melzer, and Melzer/Knowle defeating Mertinak/Polasek in 4 sets. They will now play an undetermined opponent to retain their place in Europe group 1 in September.

pexta
09-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Bratislava, DC, Slovakia - Sweden 2 : 1 :)

dallasik
10-31-2013, 05:24 PM
http://www.tenisinfo.eu/?a=art&id=14039

use google translate (its in slovak language)

about klizan and davis cup vs Latvia (Gulbis)