Hewitt, Safin, Roddick to be fined for skipping MC?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt, Safin, Roddick to be fined for skipping MC??

lau
11-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Hewitt, Safin, Roddick to be fined for skipping 2005 Masters Cup

SHANGHAI, East China, Nov. 9 (Xinhuanet)- World tennis stars Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin and Andy Roddick will be fined for their withdrawal from the upcoming 2005 Masters Cup which starts in Shanghai on Sunday.

ATP Vice President Brad Drewett said here on Wednesday that injury is common for players in competitive sports such as tennis,and that their withdrawal should be understood.

But the three players will be fined, Drewett added.

Shanghai, which hosted the 2004 Masters Cup, firstly saw Australian Open champion Safin's withdrawal from this year's final tournament with a knee injury.

Then, 2002 Masters Cup titlist Hewitt decided to skip the tournament because his wife will give birth to a child.

In this morning, World No. 3 Roddick confirmed that he would not come to Shanghai due to an injury on his back. Enditem

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-11/09/content_3756948.htm

Lleytonisthebest
11-09-2005, 04:36 PM
hmmmm it's unfair! however in Roddick's and especially Hewitt should be fined. Organisers are losing some money becauqse of their withdrawals. They made a very good effort to do the new stadium so they should be understood...

ExpectedWinner
11-09-2005, 04:37 PM
:rolleyes:

What do they want from Safin? To play this meaningless exhibition for top players and retire from the game before the age of 26??

tall_one
11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
please tell me this is a joke Lau. pleaseeee

mangoes
11-09-2005, 04:44 PM
That's unfair toward Marat. What do they want him to do?

As for Hewitt, that's fair. I'm up in the air about Roddick.

lau
11-09-2005, 04:46 PM
please tell me this is a joke Lau. pleaseeee
No idea :shrug: The source says it was was said by ATP Vice President... Seems pretty unfair in Maratīs case.. In Hewitt and Andy`s case I wonīt say anything because I donīt know all the details...

BTW, :wavey: tall_one :D :hug:

athie
11-09-2005, 04:50 PM
so they fuggin should be fined - they are well aware of their commitments
ExpectedWinner this is hardly a meaningless event :rolleyes:

BiancaUL
11-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Far be it for me to defend Hewitt, but what exactly does the ATP expect him to do? Not be there for his wife and the birth of his first child? Seems a tad ridiculous to fine him a fairly large sum (it's like 5% of your year's sum for missing TMC, isn't it?) over doing what is, by most moral standards, the right thing.

If Marat and Andy can provide valid evidence that their injuries prevented them from playing and/or playing without further injuring themselves they shouldn't be fined either.

avocadoe
11-09-2005, 04:56 PM
the fine will be a pittance compared to the expense of those hotel rooms and flights, lol. I thought that IF youy appeared and didn't play, a la Safin, then you would not be fined? Is this untrue?

revolution
11-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Extremely unfair IMO... they should only fine people for skipping required events uninjured, or with no family commitments (Hewitt has so no fine).

BlackSilver
11-09-2005, 04:58 PM
(it's like 5% for missing TMC, isn't it?)

5% of what exactly ?

BiancaUL
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
I edited it in. I'm having a blonde day. ;)

athie
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
If I recall Spewitts family incident was a little premature
Zero sympathy from moi – maybe a little for Safin but that’s about it.

revolution
11-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Although it's harsh on these three, I think the Slams should adopt this tough policy on uninjured players withdrawing, we would see Scud accepting an RG wildcard, Gaudio turning up at Wimbledon, and Jerome Haehnel flying.

Lee
11-09-2005, 05:04 PM
I read another article in Chinese and it seems whether they will be fined is not final. Drewett sounds very sympathic and understanding for all 3 players who withdrew.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/t/2005-11-09/17191871048.shtml

Winston's Human
11-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Fines for any of these three players is ridiculous.

Safin has been injured all fall and Roddick injured himself playing in the final masters series tournament. Does anyone at the ATP not think that both these players would compete in Shanghai if they were healthy -- particularly since carpet is a favorable surface for their game of tennis.

As for Hewitt, what message is the ATP sending if they say that witnessing the birth of one's child is less important than a tennis tournament. So much for promoting tennis as a family sport. While I am not a particular Hewitt fan, his priorities with his wife and soon-to-be-born child is both admirable and irreproachable.

Skyward
11-09-2005, 05:46 PM
so they fuggin should be fined - they are well aware of their commitments

Yeah, players should be allowed to make babies only in March. :rolleyes: :lol:

Damita
11-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh. My. God. Ridiculous!!! :cuckoo:

Safin has been injured for months now. It's a serious injury, he made it worse by playing RG, Wimbledon, and Cincy. As ExpectedWinner said, it's his career which is at stake.

Roddick injured himself last week. I don't know if he should have played that exhibition then or not, but anyway it doesn't change the situation now: he is injured.

As for Hewitt, his wife is going to give birth to his first child. Please! He wants to be there, that's so understandable. And if i were Bec and he abandoned me for my first childbirth, i'd never let him back home after that! :mad: :p

There are players withdrawing from tournaments at any moment of the year for less important reasons (Madrid and Paris Masters Series last year were jokes! :() and the ATP wants to punish those 3 now? They can't be serious :rolleyes:

BelgianWaffle
11-09-2005, 06:27 PM

Safin has been injured all fall and Roddick injured himself playing in the final masters series tournament. Does anyone at the ATP not think that both these players would compete in Shanghai if they were healthy -- particularly since carpet is a favorable surface for their game of tennis.

As for Hewitt, what message is the ATP sending if they say that witnessing the birth of one's child is less important than a tennis tournament. So much for promoting tennis as a family sport. While I am not a particular Hewitt fan, his priorities with his wife and soon-to-be-born child is both admirable and irreproachable.
I agree.

smucav
11-09-2005, 06:56 PM
2005 ATP Official Rulebook:C. Failure To Participate in the Tennis Masters Cup.
1) If a player, qualified for the Tennis Masters Cup as a Direct Acceptance or designated as the Alternate, fails or refuses to participate in this event, except for bona fide injury or other reason which constitutes good cause, the player shall not be in Good Standing.
2) All Direct Acceptances and the Alternate must appear at the site of the event(s) as determined by the ATP and participate in the pre-tournament media conference. Failure to appear shall result in a penalty of five percent (5%) of total ATP prize money earned during the ATP circuit year.

lau
11-09-2005, 07:05 PM
But Marat is going to Shanghai to do promotional work for the MC... :shrug:

Lee
11-09-2005, 07:05 PM
C. Failure To Participate in the Tennis Masters Cup.
1) If a player, qualified for the Tennis Masters Cup as a Direct Acceptance or designated as the Alternate, fails or refuses to participate in this event, except for bona fide injury or other reason which constitutes good cause, the player shall not be in Good Standing.

What happen if the player is not in 'Good Standing'? Fine? penalty?

2) All Direct Acceptances and the Alternate must appear at the site of the event(s) as determined by the ATP and participate in the pre-tournament media conference. Failure to appear shall result in a penalty of five percent (5%) of total ATP prize money earned during the ATP circuit year.

Would it be a MUST for they attend or as request by ATP. e.g. Would Hewitt be fined if ATP does not request his attendance in Shanghai?

Lee
11-09-2005, 07:07 PM
But Marat is going to Shanghai to do promotional work for the MC... :shrug:

I still don't believe it's final that the players are to be fined. Xinhua news is really good at 'lost in translation' :rolleyes:

mer
11-09-2005, 07:08 PM
I still don't believe it's final that the players are to be fined. Xinhua news is really good at 'lost in translation' :rolleyes:

Yes, looks like the worries are premature.

lau
11-09-2005, 07:15 PM
It seems Marat might not be fined..., but Andy and Lleytonīs situations are different...
I donīt know... you might be right.. :D

celia
11-09-2005, 07:17 PM
basically it seems to me that they're being fined for pulling out too late. this hampers the kind of preparation that the alternates are able to make. look at Federer -- he is already in Shanghai getting ready. poor Nalbandian now has to rush his preparation. it's not fair.

Lee
11-09-2005, 07:39 PM
http://sports.sina.com.cn/t/2005-11-09/17191871048.shtml

Here's is a quick translation of what I read here. I only translated the part Brad Drawett talked about the 3 players.

Safin: He only played one tournament after Wimbledon. He really is injured and the condition is serious. I believe everyone will understand.

Hewitt: His condition is special. He'll be a father at this time. We all know he's the champion at 2002 in Shanghai and he's runner up last year :confused: I'm Australian and I know Hewitt, other than the GSs, TMC is very important for him. You probably remember how emotional (not the best word but couldn't think of a better one yet) he was 3 years ago. And he's the same toward his family and soon to be first born. I hope you understand his choice.

Roddick: It's a bit surprised. He won Lyon before AMS Paris and he was very good in the top half of Paris. The courts and conditions there are the same as here. He said himself that those are very good warmup for the TMC and hope he has good result here. Unfortunately, his back injury prevent him from playing. He has a difficult time simply walking. We are very sorry but this often happens in tennis.

Lee
11-09-2005, 07:51 PM
And the part about fines.

All players had expressed how sorry they are toward the organisation and said they would like to come again next year if having the chance. About penalty, they may be penalised like fine or something. But of course, under the condition that all facts are confirmed.

*Ljubica*
11-09-2005, 07:55 PM
I hope these fines don't happen - the whole idea of it is totally ridiculous - and I agree wholeheartedly with Winston Human's post. If a tennis player is injured and they cannot play - why should they be punished for it :confused: And if attendng the birth of your first child isn't "good cause" I really don't know what is!

DhammaTiger
11-09-2005, 08:08 PM
ATP desn't care about players all it cares about are the impresarios who own the tournament and sucks up to the tv moguls by changing rules to suit them. As far as the players are concerned they are treated like a commodity. Talking of fineing injured players, Roddick and Safin, and one who is about to become a father, Hewitt, borders on the ridiculous.

PennyThePenguin
11-09-2005, 11:51 PM
i hope this is just a case of things being, as lee put it "lost in translation". it really would be unfair to fine all 3 players for being injured or becoming a father for the first time. and it's not like they're left with no players on court :o

celia
11-10-2005, 12:01 AM
what if the fines are a simple application of the rules meaning that it isn't personal. and besides, it's not as if any of them can't afford it. :shrug:

it only seems ridiculous when it is interpreted personally instead of impersonally IMO.

PennyThePenguin
11-10-2005, 12:08 AM
well, going by the rulebook (that smucav posted), they should all be exempted....i think.

euroka1
11-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Can't get exited. They can all afford it.

lau
11-10-2005, 01:01 AM
IMO, it`s not about if they can or can`t afford it, it`s about how ridiculous or/and unfair the situation is IF they are fined.

what if the fines are a simple application of the rules meaning that it isn't personal. and besides, it's not as if any of them can't afford it. :shrug:

it only seems ridiculous when it is interpreted personally instead of impersonally IMO.
Rules can be (and are) changed when unfair things happen. In fact, rules and laws can be unfair. It`s not like they are sacred :D

drf716
11-10-2005, 01:07 AM
tennis people unfair to marat!

lau
11-10-2005, 01:11 AM
tennis people unfair to marat!
:haha: :haha:

:secret: And Andy and Lleyton... :D

zethand
11-10-2005, 02:27 AM
Hewitt fine! He should be banned from ATP But if the other 2 are injured itīs unfair! However I would be very mad about it if I were organizer... at the end it doesnt matter because they have a lot of money and itīs just a little payment :D

sweetiepiedoll
11-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Why should Hewitt be banned from the tour because he decided to stay at home and wait on the arrival of his newborn?

its.like.that
11-10-2005, 02:59 PM
:lol:

sounds good

its.like.that
11-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Hewitt fine! He should be banned from ATP But if the other 2 are injured itīs unfair! However I would be very mad about it if I were organizer... at the end it doesnt matter because they have a lot of money and itīs just a little payment :D

:lol:

what's more important? the birth of your child? or some stupid tournament in a China? :lol:

euroka1
11-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Lleyton is doing the right thing. Family and firstborn first. It never was clear as to the extent of Andy's one day bad, one day better injury of convenience. He could pay a trainer to say anything. :(

Both can pay any fines without noticing and it's to a good cause. Safin's injury is almost certainly genuine. He's just falling apart.

Jimnik
11-10-2005, 04:42 PM

totally agree

Jimnik
11-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Is Andy not going to show up for this "pre-tournament media conference"?

buzzy
11-10-2005, 06:28 PM
According to everything posted here, it seems that players are fined if they do not show up unless they have a bonefide injury or other "just cause" to exempt them from playing. They nust also show up for promo effort even if they do not play.

Based on that, there is no way they can fine Safin. He has a legitimate long term injury which exempts him from playing. And he has shown up to take part in whatever publicity events are being held.

Roddick probably does have a bonefide injury. Though it it is new one. Some may question the wisdom of playiing the charity event in Hershey after experiencing the back problem in Paris. However, I agree with Wertheim. Though scheduling it there to begin with showed poor judgement, actually playing an easy "hit and giggle" with Sir Elton probably served as a good test for his ability to play. However, though his injury should exemp him from playing the TMC, it in no way should exempt him from flying out to participate in the peripheral events. You will not convince me that lounging in the first class cabin (with unlimited chamapgne to help with any discomfort) would be that difficult. Unless his doctors have him on strict bedrest or otherwise immobilized, he should have made the trip. It's not like he has to be in top physical condition since he isn't competing. Therefore, if they choose to fine him, I don't think he has any legitimate argument.

Now, the trickier case...Hewitt. What constitutes other "just cause" in the minds of the ATP? Do they have any unwritten rules or lists of acceptable personal excuses? Birth of a baby or other severe family illness should be acceptable. But again, could they expect him to fly up for pre-event publicity but not stay for the tournament? The birth date is obviously not known precisely. With a first baby, it's a safe bet he could have gone there this week for a few days and been back in plenty of time as long as he was not committed to staying for the duration. Unless of course they expected Bec to have the doctor induce early labor so she and the baby could be happily ensconced at home watching daddy on TV. With the ATP, you just never know. So theoretically, it appears that Hewitt could be subjected to a fine that most sensible people would find to be a harsh punishment for exhibiting strong family values.

musefanatic
11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
I think Hewitt is doing the right thing, the birth of his baby is going to happen once and he won't want to miss it for some tennis tournament that he probably won't even win but that's besides the point, the ATP should make allowances for it.

Just look at the cricket, do you ever hear the players getting blasted for going home to see the birth of their child? No!

And the other injured ones, well they can't help it or they would be there!

Lee
11-10-2005, 06:53 PM
With a first baby, it's a safe bet he could have gone there this week for a few days and been back in plenty of time as long as he was not committed to staying for the duration.

This is the only part that I disagree.

It's a long flight from Shanghai to Melbourne/Sydney (I don't know exactly where Lleyton lives) and base on the size of Bec in USO, she's definitely at her last trimester and Lleyton definitely needs to hang around even it's not close to due date. If there's any complication and an early birth, the father-to-be is much required to hang around.

buzzy
11-10-2005, 07:25 PM
This is the only part that I disagree.

It's a long flight from Shanghai to Melbourne/Sydney (I don't know exactly where Lleyton lives) and base on the size of Bec in USO, she's definitely at her last trimester and Lleyton definitely needs to hang around even it's not close to due date. If there's any complication and an early birth, the father-to-be is much required to hang around.

That's why I said his is the trickier case. There is so much uncertainty involved. Actually though, if Bec is being monitored closely, which I'm sure she is, and they have a handle on family history; then they should be comfortable as far as on schedule delivery, length of labor, expectations of complications, etc. These are private issues that the family had to consider. The public doesn't have any right to this personal info. I only pointed out(in absence of any abnormalities) that a short trip would be a safe bet. But as I also concluded, no sensible person should think he deserves a penalty for making the decision that he did.

Socket
11-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Lleyton's already won two Masters Cups, and no doubt, he'll compete in others before his career is over, and hopefully have a shot at winning a third. But you only get to witness your first child's birth once. He made the right decision.

And, on behalf of women everywhere, I'd be the first to kick his butt if he had decided otherwise. His place is at his wife's side for the birth.

maratski
11-10-2005, 08:28 PM

They really don't understand that this speculation and all the rumours is soooooo bad for their image. Then again, when have they ever thought of other people then the sponors...:help:

euroka1
11-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Lleyton's already won two Masters Cups, and no doubt, he'll compete in others before his career is over, and hopefully have a shot at winning a third. But you only get to witness your first child's birth once. He made the right decision.

And, on behalf of women everywhere, I'd be the first to kick his butt if he had decided otherwise. His place is at his wife's side for the birth.

I like that attitude!!!!

Margy
11-10-2005, 08:58 PM

They really don't understand that this speculation and all the rumours is soooooo bad for their image. Then again, when have they ever thought of other people then the sponors...:help:

I'm not sure who you are referring to about their image?
I don't think anyone thinks badly of Marat. They all feel badly for him since he has been out for so long. But he is there fulfilling his obligations and that is all anyone can ask of him. No one thinks badly of Hewitt either. He has family obligations. Maybe Andy could be there? Who knows?
Now, the ATP...yes, we all think badly of them...nothing new there!

maratski
11-10-2005, 09:00 PM
their=atp

Margy
11-10-2005, 09:08 PM
their=atp
Then..yep...100% agreement! They are total idiots!

Carito_90
11-10-2005, 09:31 PM
This is bullshit.

If the ATP is retarded and makes the season way too long so the players are more favorable to get injured it's certainly NOT the player's fault. Therefore, why should they be fined for something they simply cannot fix, even if they wanted to, as a injury?

Ok, I understand it coming from Hewitt but Roddick and Marat? They're both injured. This whole thing is just a proof of how they Need. to. shorten. the. season.

Besides, I've heard the ammount of the fee is ridiculously high :rolleyes:

It really pisses me off.

Carito_90
11-10-2005, 09:34 PM

Ah, very touching, but what does the ATP care about this?

Unless you can show you aren't able to play for physical problems, they will fine you. It's like that.

But apparently not even THAT will convince them of not making the players pay a fee :rolleyes:

buzzy
11-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Ijust read in the Fed May Be Out thread that Gonzalez and Juhansson turned down the trip as alternates so that Ferrer has gone as the back-up. Now according to these ATP rules, does that mean that Gonzo and Tojo will also be fined for refusing to attend? As I read the rules, if you qualify as a player or alternate, you are required to attend.