Haas talks about his parents recovery [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Haas talks about his parents recovery

saff76ar
07-31-2002, 07:47 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=5986&bannerregion=

Haas Carries Concern For Injured Parents With Him
By Richard Pagliaro
07/31/2002

In the solitary sport of tennis, Tommy Haas is now never alone when he steps onto the court. The third-ranked Haas carries concerns for his parents — who are continuing their recovery from severe injuries they suffered in a June 8th motorcycle accident in Sarasota, Florida — onto the court whenever he plays.

Like a stop-action film that continues to replay inside of his head, Haas is haunted by the crash that threatened his parents' lives. The 24-year-old Haas, who skipped Wimbledon to remain at home in Florida with his parents, earned his first win since the tragic accident when he scored a 6-3, 6-3 triumph over Canadian Frederic Niemeyer in the first-round of the Tennis Masters Series-Canada in Toronto. Haas followed that victory with today's 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win over Sjeng Schalken.

While trying to concentrate on the match at hand, Haas concedes his parents' condition is always on his mind.

"Once I'm on the tennis court, I try to block everything out that happens in personal life," Haas said. "But this is something totally different. You don't expect it until it actually happens. You think about it every day."

The crash occurred when a truck attempting to make a left turn crashed into the Harley-Davidson motorcycle Haas had bought for his parents, Peter and Brigitte Haas. The frightening force of the crash threw the couple, who were not wearing helmets, off the bike. Fast-acting paramedics arrived at the scene of the accident and airlifted the Haas' to a St. Petersburg hospital. Peter Haas, who nearly lost his left leg as a result of the accident, spent 17 days in a coma, while Brigitte Haas was in intensive care for four days.

His parents survived the life-altering accident and now face an extensive period of rehabilitation at a hospital in Germany. Haas is hopeful his mother will starting walking again soon. Peter Haas, a former European judo champion who was a childhood classmate of actor Arnold Schwarzenegger, faces rigorous rehab to regain his speech.

""My mom is doing a little better," Haas said. "She probably has a couple more weeks in hospital and then she'll slowly start walking again. My dad has a longer road ahead. They'll never be as they were, but hopefully they'll have another chance to enjoy life. That's the most important thing."

In his return to tournament tennis last week, the top-seeded Haas was upset in the first round by American Alex Bogomolov. The Australian Open semifinalist said he has struggled to regain the form he showed earlier in the season.

"It (his tennis game) goes away quickly," Haas said. "You practice so long and feel pretty comfortable out there, but once a tournament starts it is a different story."

The accident has given Haas a different perspective on tennis and he now takes a philosophical approach to his place in the sport.

"One day I can look back and say I reached No. 2 in the world. I've played great tennis and had good success so far," Haas said. "All I can do is give it my best in slams and if it's good enough to win one one year, great. If not, as long as I know I've tried my best, that's all I can ask for."

Bubble
07-31-2002, 08:03 PM
Really hope that his parents can have a speedy recovery back to their normal life in the road ahead.

God bless Haas and his family :angel:

Static
07-31-2002, 08:05 PM
saff76ar, thnx for the article

I hope Haas's parents can get well soon :)

mmm!marat
07-31-2002, 09:03 PM
omg, i never knew they were injured so badly, i hope they make a speedy recovery :)

TennisHack
07-31-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by saff76ar
The accident has given Haas a different perspective on tennis and he now takes a philosophical approach to his place in the sport.

"One day I can look back and say I reached No. 2 in the world. I've played great tennis and had good success so far," Haas said. "All I can do is give it my best in slams and if it's good enough to win one one year, great. If not, as long as I know I've tried my best, that's all I can ask for."

Tommy :angel: But I hope that as his parents recover, his somewhat defeatist attitude will also be alleviated. That statement looks like something one would give before retirement, and I sincerely hope this tragedy hasn't brought him to that!

dbc
07-31-2002, 11:20 PM
I have been following the report's on Tommy's parents since the accident & it was good to hear when they were well enough to be flown back to a hospital at home in Germany.
But hadn't read details of the injuries before or that al important phrase "They were not wearing helmets". Is this not law in the US as it is in just about all Europe? Really cannot understand this.

TennisHack
08-01-2002, 12:09 AM
dbc, yes it is the law to wear a helmet in the US, but it depends on the state, I think.

the cat
08-01-2002, 02:28 AM
Thanks Saff! :) I'm glad Tommy's parents are on the road to recovery. It will be slow road. But atleast they are on the road to recovery. And I'm very happy Haas is back playing tennis! :bounce:

Gandalf
08-01-2002, 09:41 AM
Good luck to Tommy and his family.

Princess Fiona
08-01-2002, 03:50 PM
Thank you for the article! I'm so pleased to hear that the Haas parents are recovering...

TheBoiledEgg
08-01-2002, 05:20 PM
and it will be even better to see him winning titles and peeling the Potato, plucking the chicken and hammering the dickhead again

go Tommy !!!!!!!!!!

fleemke²
08-01-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Franziska
Thank you for the article! I'm so pleased to hear that the Haas parents are recovering...

Yess me2! I hope that they get well soon and I hope tha hansom boy who plays so well gets back on his level!

Love you tommy;) :D :bounce:

TennisHack
08-02-2002, 03:18 AM
Tommy took another step forward tonight, taking an impressive win over Sampras. He was serving WONDERFULLY in the third set, mostly aces (17/20 I think?).

lurker
08-02-2002, 04:15 AM
Congrats to Tommy for the great win!! Glad to hear his positive outlook on his parents...wish them well.

(TBE...by the Potato I know you mean Lleyton (Lleave him alone!!!) and by the chicken I think you mean Roddick...but who is the dickhead??? Do you mean the Monkey Man...Sampras? Or is dickhead Roddick?)

TennisHack
08-02-2002, 04:23 AM
I know the Potato is Lleyton and the Chicken (and Farmer) is Timmy Henman.

Mazza
08-02-2002, 10:11 AM
Thanx for the article! :)

Really glad to hear that his parents are doing better and all the best to them :) And so happy to see Haas back, at what must be such a difficult time for him!

Good luck to Mr and Mrs Haas and Tommy :)

tennischick
08-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by lurker
Congrats to Tommy for the great win!! Glad to hear his positive outlook on his parents...wish them well.

(TBE...by the Potato I know you mean Lleyton (Lleave him alone!!!) and by the chicken I think you mean Roddick...but who is the dickhead??? Do you mean the Monkey Man...Sampras? Or is dickhead Roddick?)

LOL! MOnkey Man? that''s a new one for me. thanks! well Haas spanked MOnkey Man last night so let''s hope that that helps lift his mood.

i think Dickhead is Andy. i call him RodPrick myself.

TheBoiledEgg
08-02-2002, 02:49 PM
ermmmmmmm get of Hewitt ??? , i don't intend on going anywhere near him :p nor do i want to

Dickhead is Andy (who else could it be ?)

lurker
08-03-2002, 03:12 AM
Henman the chicken??? I always thought he looked more like a Vampire!!

RodPrick!!! I like it!! Can you guess, my two most hated players are Monkey Man and RodPrick...and Haas now has both their numbers!!!:D And you can always count on Hewitt to foil the two of them, as well as the chicken.

Oh, but now the topic of this thread is digressing...sorry folks.:angel:

TheBoiledEgg
08-03-2002, 10:10 AM
He is the chicken cos of his name "HENman"

chicken pluckers sound much better than a hen plucker ever wood, and has he is hardly manly the term chicken describes him perfectly, when the going gets tough he wimps out

Layla
08-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Shame on you! :rolleyes: How did such a serious topic as the traffic accident involving Tommy's parents become the forum for Henman bashers??? Start your own thread, and I'll be sure to crash the party from time to time.

saff76ar
08-15-2002, 08:09 PM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/scoop_081402.html

THE SCOOP: WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 14
Haas has mind on parents
By Sandra Harwitt
tennisreporters.net

Tommy Haas is trying to concentrate on tennis, but admits that his thoughts are often with his parents, who are recuperating from a near-fatal motorcycle crash while at Haas’ home in Bradenton, Florida. The elder Haases, who were not wearing helmets when they crashed with a truck, were in the hospital for many weeks. Haas, who skipped playing Wimbledon, had his parents transferred to a rehabilitation hospital in Germany as soon as it was considered safe for them to be moved.

“They left the hospital for the first time two days ago so that’s a nice thing,” said the third-seeded Haas, after his 7-6 (11-9), 6-3 first round victory over Magnus Norman of Sweden. “I can talk to my dad now on the phone, which is nice. I wish I could see them but it’s not possible at the moment. There’s times that I think about them in my matches, but I try not to.”

Dissident
08-16-2002, 12:05 AM
Thanks again for the update, saff. :wavey:

AdriRob
08-16-2002, 12:16 AM
I hope Tommy's parents get better soon.....
God bless them and Tommy!!:angel:

TennisHack
08-19-2002, 05:57 PM
Haas Struggles to Refocus
By SELENA ROBERTS

With years of unfulfilled expectations behind him, Tommy Haas was playing in the kind of deep, pure groove reserved for vinyl records.

As this summer approached, he was beating everyone--elite players, hot newcomers--and his ranking on the men's tennis tour hit No. 2. Even the skeptical German public was starting to embrace Haas after years of mourning the retirements of Boris Becker and Steffi Graf.

On June 8, just as everything was coming together, Haas received a phone call from his girlfriend. She was screaming and crying as Haas tried to make sense of her jangled emotions. Suddenly, it registered. She was driving down a street in Sarasota, Fla., and heard a horrible screech. When she looked across the road, she saw two people lying motionless on the pavement with a mangled motorcycle beside them.

They were Haas's parents. And it was the Harley-Davidson he had bought for his father. Neither Peter nor Brigitte Haas was wearing a helmet when the motorcycle collided with a truck.

"My girlfriend was crying and all I heard was that there was a motorcycle accident," Haas, a Florida resident, said last week. "Right away, I knew it was my parents. At that moment, my head froze."

Forget Wimbledon. Forget everything. For two weeks, Haas sat next to his father's hospital bed, wondering if the man who first took him on a tennis court at age 4 would wake up from a coma. His mother's injuries were minor in comparison, but she was emotionally frayed.

It was Haas's turn to take care of his parents. For six weeks, he left the Tour until his parents were well enough to return to their home in Germany. In late July, Haas came back to tennis, but the player who will try to defend his title in the Hamlet Cup on Long Island this week is not the same carefree player he was in the spring.

Understandably, Haas has been distracted, unable to reach beyond the semifinals in his first four events since returning. Twice, he has been upset in the first round.

"I'm thinking about them all the time," said Haas, whose ranking has slipped to No. 3. "My dad has a long road ahead. He has some severe problems with his leg and some damage to his brain. It's going to take him time to get on track again. He's starting to talk again. Obviously, he's not back to the way he used to be and probably never will. But they're both alive, and I thank God for that."

At age 24, Haas did not need the incident to find maturity. Prompted by his success on Long Island a year ago, when he defeated Pete Sampras in the final, Haas was already on his way to taking a more serious approach to his career.

"I think some people are made for the game, and some people have to work at it," Haas said. "No question about it, I have a lot of talent for the game, but when my mind didn't go with my talent, nothing really came out of it. I'm an impatient person. It doesn't mean I'm not a nice guy, but I would lose my patience in the past, and that doesn't really happen anymore."

For most of this season, he was locked into an easy rhythm on the court. His swashbuckling, one-handed backhand--branded one of the game's best by Marat Safin--was confounding one opponent after another. In May, Haas allowed Andy Roddick only 10 points in the first set of a straight-sets victory. Roddick said he had not been that overwhelmed since he played in an 8-and-under tournament.

Swiftly, Haas was breaking out of the stereotype often slapped on tennis academy prodigies. Often, those players are said to have the mechanical skills but not the court savvy. Although Haas was experiencing some shoulder problems by late spring, he was on the verge of proving that image wrong when the accident occurred. Until then, Haas had made a lot of progress toward a breakthrough after reuniting with his former coach, David Ayme, last year.

"A lot of people tell you to do this or that, hire this coach or that one," Haas said. "After a while, you stop believing people. I went to what I knew."

For six months, winning was Haas's priority. While he still wants to win, match point does not carry the same significance. Before his parents' accident, Haas would go into hiding after a tough match. Talking to no one, he would retreat to his hotel room, turn on CNN and start brooding.

"I'd want to see what was happening around the world," he said, "but I'd still keep asking myself: 'Why am I so frustrated? It's just a tennis match.' Now, I think about other things. Right now, I just want my parents to be O.K."