Roddick out of TMC? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick out of TMC?

Grinder
11-07-2005, 10:46 PM
I find it hard to believe that he would announce it so soon, but it says so in this article from Fox Sports.

Source (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17172584-23216,00.html)

LLEYTON Hewitt remains in doubt for the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai and may join world No.3 Andy Roddick on the sidelines.

Hewitt is battling groin and toe injuries while Roddick is nursing a sore back. The season-ending tournament starts on Sunday. Hewitt, twice a Masters champion and beaten in last season's final by Roger Federer, has not played since the Thailand Open in September.

Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Roddick, Hewitt, Andre Agassi, Guillermo Coria and Nikolay Davydenko make up the field with Argentines Gaston Gaudio and David Nalbandian likely to slot in if any of the top eight withdraws.

Sue Ellen
11-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Sorry amigo but I think you have misread this! When I read this I got the impression that there is a possibility that both Hewitt and Roddick may have to sit TMS out, not that Andy has already pulled out. This is made clear in the final lines of your quote which includes Roddick as one of the eight man field (for now anyways!!)! Easy mistake to make though! Hoped I have helped clear this up!

krystlel
11-07-2005, 11:02 PM
I think that sentence was badly written. For the bit that you have bolded, I interpreted the same thing, but it may have been a bad attempt at trying to make headlines dramatic.

Fee
11-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Hell-llooo its foxsports! When have they ever been a reliable source for tennis news?

croat123
11-07-2005, 11:16 PM
screw duckboy, the article left out ljubo :mad:

Jennay
11-07-2005, 11:20 PM
I really doubt Andy would skip TMC, unless the back injury is more serious than thought - I don't think anything reliable has been written to tell us exactly what the injury is.
The relevance of this thread wasn't to discuss Ljubicic anyways. :shrug:

tennisman.
11-07-2005, 11:43 PM

Who cares?

R.Federer
11-07-2005, 11:46 PM
I hope not, I hope everyone feels fit and healthy to play and it is a good tournament (after so many washout since the U.S.O). The 8 players have all done good this year, and it would be so exciting!

euroka1
11-07-2005, 11:54 PM
I hope not, I hope everyone feels fit and healthy to play and it is a good tournament (after so many washout since the U.S.O). The 8 players have all done good this year, and it would be so exciting!

Hewitt has a very good reason for not being there and it is agreeable to see him giving priority to the important things in life.

Andy; who knows how much of a production that injury inParis was? Whether he appears or not depends more on what his media relations and money people tell him to do than on any principled action on his part.

mangoes
11-07-2005, 11:59 PM
I really doubt Andy is going to TMC. I think the writing is on the wall with that one.

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Hell-llooo its foxsports! When have they ever been a reliable source for tennis news?But it's fox sports in Australia and the article was written by Leo Schlink, he tends to have inside information.

But yea, it's a poorly written sentence - he hasn't announced anything yet, but he will have to make his mind up by like tomorrow or so.

jackieglover
11-08-2005, 12:24 AM
But it's fox sports in Australia and the article was written by Leo Schlink, he tends to have inside information.

But yea, it's a poorly written sentence - he hasn't announced anything yet, but he will have to make his mind up by like tomorrow or so.

It is a poorly constructed sentence, because it does not match with what is written at the end of the article:

"...Argentines Gaston Gaudio and David Nalbandian likely to slot in if any of the top eight withdraws."

NYCtennisfan
11-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Bad grammar. Roddick hasn't made any announcements.

Jimnik
11-08-2005, 12:52 AM
All they seem to know is that Andy had back pain throughout the Paris Masters - nothing new here.

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Well, the charity thing he was supposed to be at is tonight, and someone from MTF is going, so I guess whether he shows up there and if he plays will be hints... and here's a better-written article. http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s57/e7346/sport_lng0_spo57_evt7346_sto787005.shtml

tangerine_dream
11-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Nobody cares about your choker Ivan :p

The Federers, Safins, Agassis and Hewitts you expect at the year-end championship are among the best -- separate from the Ivan Ljubicics, Gaston Gaudios and David Nalbandians who will likely fill the injury gaps. Sure, everyone loves Ljuby, but this is the Masters Cup, not the Guy-Who-Loses-Every-Final Cup.

:lol:

TenHound
11-08-2005, 01:47 AM
My concern is that the ATP gives 2 backups sufficient notice. RF, RN, & AA already there, getting over their jetlag, etc. If 2 guys don't know til late in the week, they'll hugely disadvantaged.

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Looks like Andy's playing in the charity thing tonight. That better mean he'll be on his way to Shanghai tomorrow. :o

nobama
11-08-2005, 01:55 AM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051108/capt.pabb10411080121.hershey_tennis_pabb104.jpg

Andy Roddick, left, and Sir Elton John, center, get directions from Billy Jean King, right, during the annual charity tennis event benefiting the Elton John AIDS foundation Monday, Nov. 7, 2005, in Hershey, Pa

fedpras
11-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Why is Roddick playing if he has a back injury? I know it's just a charity event, and it's not like he'll have to do anything too strenuous, but I would think he would want to just take it easy on his back as much as possible before TMC. :shrug:

nobama
11-08-2005, 02:11 AM
So Federer is still questionable too? :shrug:

From rogerfederer.com

Things are heating up as the highlight of the year steadily approaches. Roger became the first player to arrive in Shanghai yesterday in advance of the season-ending Masters Cup.

The trip to Shanghai is the second in just one month for Roger, who had made a whirlwind stop here early last month to unveil the Qizhong Tennis Center in the city's Minhang District, where the tournament will be played to November 20.

Roger has arrived early in order to prepare thoroughly. He feels his shape is improving constantly but is still not certain whether he will be able to play. We'll most certainly keep you updated!

RodLo
11-08-2005, 02:11 AM

You're dumb. :wavey:

euroka1
11-08-2005, 02:20 AM
Why is Roddick playing if he has a back injury? I know it's just a charity event, and it's not like he'll have to do anything too strenuous, but I would think he would want to just take it easy on his back as much as possible before TMC. :shrug:

Can't have been all that bad. I think he hammed it up quite a bit.

fedpras
11-08-2005, 02:24 AM
Can't have been all that bad. I think he hammed it up quite a bit.

You're brave. The Duck fans will be on you for saying this in no time.

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 02:44 AM
:shrug:

Roddick's status questionable for Masters Cup
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:40 p.m. ET Nov. 7, 2005

HERSHEY, Pa. - Andy Roddick said Monday his status is "so-so" for the season-ending Masters Cup next week in China because of back and shoulder injuries.

Roddick played in four exhibition sets Monday night at the Advanta World Team Tennis Smash Hits, an annual charity event benefiting the Elton John AIDS Foundation, and said he was hurting afterward.

"I'm very sore right now," Roddick said after playing two of his matches. "I feel my status is about so-so right now."

The third-ranked Roddick was first hurt Saturday, when he was upset by Ivan Ljubicic 6-3, 7-5 in the semifinals of the Paris Masters.

"My concern is not to play if I'm hurt," Roddick said. "I'm not going to go try to limp through the year on something that's not feeling great. It's really tough to beat the world's best when you're not feeling you're best."

Roddick flew from Paris to his home in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, where the injury was re-evaluted. He is tentatively scheduled to leave for Shanghai on Wednesday.

"I was a lot more optimistic four days ago," he said.

Hosted by John and Billie Jean King, the Advanta event also featured tennis players James and Thomas Blake, Lisa Raymond, Anna Kournikova and Martina Hingis.

Corey Feldman
11-08-2005, 02:49 AM
A-rod should be ok..
its water of a duck's back

Noelle
11-08-2005, 02:51 AM
Deb, that AP article seems like it was written using quotes from Andy's post-match interview. I don't think they were able to interview him after the charity event. They're probably just guessing there.

I think he'll go to Shanghai.

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 02:53 AM
What about this Noelle?"I'm very sore right now," Roddick said after playing two of his matches. "I feel my status is about so-so right now."
I think it's new, I think it's from tonight, and I think he's a complete moron for playing 4 exhibition sets. One to test his back, ok, but FOUR? Uh, DUH. :smash:

Corey Feldman
11-08-2005, 02:54 AM

From rogerfederer.com

Roger has arrived early in order to prepare thoroughly. He feels his shape is improving constantly but is still not certain whether he will be able to play. We'll most certainly keep you updated!darn it..
well it was a tough ask to be 100% ready after such an injury..
lol what a field this could turn out to be with the possability that davydenko, coria, gaudio, puerta, Nalbandian could all be fighting for the title, indoors

Noelle
11-08-2005, 02:57 AM
What about this Noelle?I think it's new, I think it's from tonight, and I think he's a complete moron for playing 4 exhibition sets. One to test his back, ok, but FOUR? Uh, DUH. :smash:
:o Selective reading from me. :(

I think he should go fly to Shanghai anyway. :p

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 02:57 AM
I think he should go fly to Shanghai anyway. :pSince when does he ever do what we think he should ;)

nobama
11-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Andy :retard:

Merton
11-08-2005, 03:04 AM
Andy is commendable for his consistent work on charity events, especially since he started early in his carreer. Having said that, i am sure he would not put his participation in the TMC in doubt. I guess he must be feeling better, or perhaps the doctors said that the exhibition would not cause any further damage :unsure:

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 03:06 AM
Andy is commendable for his consistent work on charity events, especially since he started early in his carreer. Having said that, i am sure he would not put his participation in the TMC in doubt. I guess he must be feeling better, or perhaps the doctors said that the exhibition would not cause any further damage :unsure:Well I can understand that he would use it as an opportunity to test his back and see how it was doing - but if he played ONE exhibition set and it was still painful, he should've stopped - but instead he played THREE more. That's what makes me want to :smash:

It sounds to me like he's pretty doubtful to go. But whatever. :shrug:

R.Federer
11-08-2005, 03:10 AM
This is too bad.

It is weird that andi was the only one who is feeling alright 5 days ago, among the Top 6 players, now they are all going and he has injury. I hope he is able to go. The last few tournaments have been strange with top players missing

mangoes
11-08-2005, 03:14 AM
I just don't understand Andy. Maybe he really does need a hard nosed coach like Gilbert.

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 03:16 AM
This is too bad.

It is weird that andi was the only one who is feeling alright 5 days ago, among the Top 6 players, now they are all going and he has injury. I hope he is able to go. The last few tournaments have been strange with top players missingYep, isn't it ironic....

:shrug:

MissMoJo
11-08-2005, 03:17 AM

From rogerfederer.com

Things are heating up as the highlight of the year steadily approaches. Roger became the first player to arrive in Shanghai yesterday in advance of the season-ending Masters Cup.

The trip to Shanghai is the second in just one month for Roger, who had made a whirlwind stop here early last month to unveil the Qizhong Tennis Center in the city's Minhang District, where the tournament will be played to November 20.

Roger has arrived early in order to prepare thoroughly. He feels his shape is improving constantly but is still not certain whether he will be able to play. We'll most certainly keep you updated!

wth???? :confused: So what was the source of those quotes from him last week saying he was fit and would be particiapating :confused:

nobama
11-08-2005, 03:21 AM
wth???? :confused: So what was the source of those quotes from him last week saying he was fit and would be particiapating :confused:Fed's website. :o

peripheral
11-08-2005, 03:58 AM
wth???? :confused: So what was the source of those quotes from him last week saying he was fit and would be particiapating :confused:

The original source of that information last week appears to have been this news release (http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/en/media/reports/05_Federer_Shanghai.pdf) from the ATP.

nkhera1
11-08-2005, 04:35 AM
Hewitt has a very good reason for not being there and it is agreeable to see him giving priority to the important things in life.

Andy; who knows how much of a production that injury inParis was? Whether he appears or not depends more on what his media relations and money people tell him to do than on any principled action on his part.

How do you know this?

MissMoJo
11-08-2005, 04:50 AM
The original source of that information last week appears to have been this news release (http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/en/media/reports/05_Federer_Shanghai.pdf) from the ATP.
so confusing....i hope nothing has happened between then and now to make him doubt his participation

oneandonlyhsn
11-08-2005, 04:51 AM
Andy :smash: WTF

Roger :scratch: I thought he was for sure playing, now it doesnt seem so :shrug:

tennischick
11-08-2005, 04:59 AM
"Injured" Roddick elects to play charity event. Yeah, that makes sense. or maybe he is not injured? :shrug:

over to you tangenius :p

Injuries leave Roddick 'so-so' for season-ending Masters Cup

Nov. 7, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

HERSHEY, Pa. -- Andy Roddick said Monday his status is 'so-so' for the season-ending Masters Cup next week in China because of back and shoulder injuries.

Roddick played in four exhibition sets Monday night at the Advanta World Team Tennis Smash Hits, an annual charity event benefiting the Elton John AIDS Foundation, and said he was hurting afterward.

"I'm very sore right now," Roddick said after playing two of his matches. "I feel my status is about so-so right now."

The third-ranked Roddick was first hurt Saturday, when he was upset by Ivan Ljubicic 6-3, 7-5 in the semifinals of the Paris Masters.

"My concern is not to play if I'm hurt," Roddick said. "I'm not going to go try to limp through the year on something that's not feeling great. It's really tough to beat the world's best when you're not feeling you're best."

Roddick flew from Paris to his home in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, where the injury was re-evaluted. He is tentatively scheduled to leave for Shanghai on Wednesday.

"I was a lot more optimistic four days ago," he said.

Hosted by John and Billie Jean King, the Advanta event also featured tennis players James and Thomas Blake, Lisa Raymond, Anna Kournikova and Martina Hingis.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/story/9029931

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 05:05 AM
How do you know this?Hatred breeds knowledge, apparently.

if Andy was exaggerating and faking that injury, he deserves and Oscar for an impressive performance, that's all I'll say.

tennischick
11-08-2005, 05:06 AM
Hatred breeds knowledge, apparently.

if Andy was exaggerating and faking that injury, he deserves and Oscar for an impressive performance, that's all I'll say.
he wasn't faking. he just made a miraculous recovery to play Elton John's event is all. ;)

star
11-08-2005, 05:20 AM
I think these 4 sets were with celebrities and more hit and giggle sets.

tennischick
11-08-2005, 05:27 AM
I think these 4 sets were with celebrities and more hit and giggle sets.
he complained about his back afterwards so there was obviously more hitting than giggling.

besides, i think that the hit-and-giggle crew would have loved him just as much if he had showed up and acted as the umpire instead of playing.

and surely the boy must have a sense of priorities? surely Shanghai is more important than hitting and giggling with Elton et al?

and finally, bec i have absolute faith that Billie Jean would not have encouraged an injured player to play in her charity -- she could not possibly be that selfish -- it stands to reason (as i concluded when i saw his match against Lju) that the Duck is NOT injured. he will be in Shanghai. he will be fine.

but a pathway of excuses is being paved just in case!

partygirl
11-08-2005, 05:38 AM
i think he played because he's done for the year...
he played one more than he should of in paris
came back and fulfilled his charity obligation and now has 2 months off.

id be shocked if he went...well he might go but i dont think he'll play...
but i hope.

Merton
11-08-2005, 05:43 AM
he complained about his back afterwards so there was obviously more hitting than giggling.

besides, i think that the hit-and-giggle crew would have loved him just as much if he had showed up and acted as the umpire instead of playing.

and surely the boy must have a sense of priorities? surely Shanghai is more important than hitting and giggling with Elton et al?

and finally, bec i have absolute faith that Billie Jean would not have encouraged an injured player to play in her charity -- she could not possibly be that selfish -- it stands to reason (as i concluded when i saw his match against Lju) that the Duck is NOT injured. he will be in Shanghai. he will be fine.

but a pathway of excuses is being paved just in case!

I think there are three possibilities:

(a) His doctors assured him that his situation would not deteriorate further if he played, so he honoured a commitment made in advance.
(b) He did not estimate his priorities correctly, acting amateurishly.
(c) He was not injured at all to begin with.

At this point, we have no additional information as to which possibility is true, so i choose to believe (a). It is fine if you believe (c), but it is not a unique explanation as you make it sound like.

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 05:46 AM
It was three World Team Tennis sets with that scoring (no-ad, TB at 4all and sets to 5, etc.), not 4 (according to a press release about the event, anyway). Two were doubles (one with Lisa Raymond, so you know Andy didn't do much ;)).

tennischick
11-08-2005, 05:50 AM
I think there are three possibilities:

(a) His doctors assured him that his situation would not deteriorate further if he played, so he honoured a commitment made in advance.
(b) He did not estimate his priorities correctly, acting amateurishly.
(c) He was not injured at all to begin with.

At this point, we have no additional information as to which possibility is true, so i choose to believe (a). It is fine if you believe (c), but it is not a unique explanation as you make it sound like.
Option 4: he never claimed to be injured.

not in so many words of course. of course all the grimacing was indeed interpreted by many as evidence of an injury. but he never actually used that word.

and actually i have gone to pains to point this out. the media and his fans have described him as "injured", but he has not. not in so many words. he keeps hinting at the possibility that he might be, but if you read carefully, he hasn't actually claimed to be. which means that there is technically nothing to stop him from either playing in a charity or going to Shanghai. i hope that none of his opponents are falling for this hackneyed acting job.

Merton
11-08-2005, 06:02 AM
I am not a medical doctor, it could be the case that his back situation cannot be termed an injury technically. However, it seemed obvious to me that his back was bothering him against Ferrer and Ljubicic. This is no excuse for his loss to Ljubicic, once you step in court you take the consequences. Still, his mobility appeared limited, especially relative to the match against Hrbaty.

Anyway, we will learn soon enough. If indeed he withdraws i will reluctantly admit that option (b) carries more weight. If he plays, options (a) and (c) could both hold. In any case, i fail to see what advantage Andy gets by pretending. His opponents are all playing their games, so it carries no competitive advantage.

jackieglover
11-08-2005, 06:08 AM
he wasn't faking. he just made a miraculous recovery to play Elton John's event is all. ;)

:haha:

Tennis_Passion
11-08-2005, 06:25 AM
Option 4: he never claimed to be injured.

not in so many words of course. of course all the grimacing was indeed interpreted by many as evidence of an injury. but he never actually used that word.

and actually i have gone to pains to point this out. the media and his fans have described him as "injured", but he has not. not in so many words. he keeps hinting at the possibility that he might be, but if you read carefully, he hasn't actually claimed to be. which means that there is technically nothing to stop him from either playing in a charity or going to Shanghai. i hope that none of his opponents are falling for this hackneyed acting job.

Good Observation....did I ever tell you this is one of the reasons that I hate him so much?:).
Not that I prefer David N. over Andy....but I just hate Andy just that bit more..

Noelle
11-08-2005, 06:36 AM
:rolleyes:

partygirl
11-08-2005, 07:24 AM
-whatever-
always has to turn into a hate andy party...how sad... i mean pathetic.

Action Jackson
11-08-2005, 07:26 AM
We'll find out soon enough whether he is or isn't.

euroka1
11-08-2005, 07:49 AM
a pathway of excuses is being paved just in case!

That's the story of this whole past week of Andy Roddick's tennis. :rolleyes:

Noelle
11-08-2005, 07:58 AM
That's the story of this whole past week of Andy Roddick's tennis. :rolleyes:
Gee... you'd think that winning a Masters Series title would be more important to Andy than setting up an excuse not to go to the Masters Cup, where Andy has gone for the past two years. :rolleyes: Give me a break.

euroka1
11-08-2005, 10:08 AM
It's the advance excuses (maybe I'm injured..., call out the trainer...., look, I'm hurting....maybe I can't play.....) for a poor performance that annoy me the most. It's all terribly self-absorbed. :(

nobama
11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Good Observation....did I ever tell you this is one of the reasons that I hate him so much?:).
Not that I prefer David N. over Andy....but I just hate Andy just that bit more..Hate's a pretty strong word...what the hell has Andy ever done to you? You don't like to watch him play....then don't.

nobama
11-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Andy :smash: WTF

Roger :scratch: I thought he was for sure playing, now it doesnt seem so :shrug:Fed's been on court practicing with ankle braces...so hopefully he will be able to play. I'm guessing he'll wear them throught the tournament if he does play. :shrug:

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-11-08/U1535P6T12D1869084F44DT20051108163333.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-11-08/U1535P6T12D1869087F44DT20051108163758.jpg

Corey Feldman
11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Good luck Fed..
but even if he plays i have my doubts about a)being sharp enough and in form enough to win b)not able to play his best if the foot is still in pain and c)doing all of this and making the injury worse.
:banghead:

jenanun
11-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Good luck Fed..
but even if he plays i have my doubts about a)being sharp enough and in form enough to win b)not able to play his best if the foot is still in pain and c)doing all of this and making the injury worse.
:banghead:

so in that case, someone else will win the title, dont worry! ;)

Grinder
11-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Well Hewitt is officially out, now Roddick and Federer are both questionable.

nobama
11-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Good luck Fed..
:banghead:Do you really think he's that stupid....and even if he is do you think his trainer and physio (both with him as you can see in that photo) would let him play if they thought it would make the injury worse? He didn't play in Canada earlier this year when he had points to defend and his YE #1 ranking wasn't a for sure thing. He may not be sharp/in-form enough to win, but that's not a legitimate excuse to pull out. Injury, yes, but not because your rusty. Certainly not when your #1 in the world and defending champ.

Corey Feldman
11-08-2005, 12:37 PM
2005 Masters cup semi finals will be:
Coria v Nalbandian
Puerta v Gaudio
:tape:

MariaV
11-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Mikey, I doubt that Fed is as stupid as Marat trying to come back too early. :o Or at least I hope he isn't.

jenanun
11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
2005 Masters cup semi finals will be:
Coria v Nalbandian
Puerta v Gaudio
:tape:

that's funny.....

DhammaTiger
11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Gee... you'd think that winning a Masters Series title would be more important to Andy than setting up an excuse not to go to the Masters Cup, where Andy has gone for the past two years. :rolleyes: Give me a break.
The last two years they played TMC in his backyard-Houston- so, there wasn't much of a trip.Plus, in 2003 the hype by the ATP and the outfit that hosted the TMC was he was going to win and will be crowned king of tennis, however, a certain Mr federer spoiled the party for them.

Deboogle!.
11-08-2005, 03:13 PM
The last two years they played TMC in his backyard-Houston- so, there wasn't much of a trip.So? How does that translate to meaning that he doesn't want to go to Shanghai? How does that explain that before his injury in Paris he said that the thing that was most important to him was getting rhythm and momentum for Shanghai and that winning in Paris would be a secondary goal? Even Saturday, he said he wants to go and that he'll get as much treatment as possible to allow that to happen.

Aside from the speculation from people that don't like him and somehow think he's clever enough to orchestrate and fake this whole thing a week in advance, is there any proof he doesn't want to go to Shanghai? I didn't think so. Anyone know actually takes the time to know anything about him is that he always wants to win and he's not afraid to lose and he doesn't shirk from his responsibilities without a good reason (this is the same person who flew from South Carolina to Thailand to play a tourney that was a lot less important than TMC when he easily could've claimed an injury if he'd so desired. He was so exhausted that he had to be given smelling salts during his first match).

I realize people here dislike him, some intensely. But if you think he faked and exaggerated and planned this whole thing, it takes a pretty intelligent person to pull that off as convincingly as he did. So if he did that, I guess he must be smarter than you think he is ;)

rofe
11-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Fed's been on court practicing with ankle braces...so hopefully he will be able to play. I'm guessing he'll wear them throught the tournament if he does play. :shrug:

Argh, his ankle braces remind me of a certain Scottish teenager...

Ugh.

But seriously, Fed will definitely not play unless he is 100% fit. We came to know that when he let go TMS Canada. I won't mind if he skips TMC. I am sure he will come roaring back in 2006.

Noelle
11-08-2005, 04:35 PM
My, I wish Federer were using white ankle braces. He looked so much more streamlined with the white socks. :awww:

celia
11-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Aside from the speculation from people that don't like him and somehow think he's clever enough to orchestrate and fake this whole thing a week in advance, is there any proof he doesn't want to go to Shanghai? I didn't think so. ...
and by this you're admitting that he's an idiot? :p

i don't think it takes much brains to pretend to be injured so that you have an excuse if you lose.

Noelle
11-08-2005, 04:45 PM
No. She was saying other people think Andy's an idiot, but also keep saying he's play-acting for an excuse going into Shanghai (a scheme so convoluted it should take a lot of brainpower and calculation). :rolleyes:

By the way, Eurosport is saying Andy will be going to Shanghai.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=2644853&postcount=160

Noelle
11-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Go easy on celia. She's new and just another one of those Fedtards who's obsessed with Roddick. :yeah:
Ahh... that's just lovely. Welcome, celia. :wavey:

ugotlobbed
11-08-2005, 04:53 PM
hahha whyy would roddick be out

RodLo
11-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Some of you are so pathetic, it's sad. :rolleyes:

Apparently, you all have nothing better to do than jab over and over again at the same stupid issues (a fair amount of which don't even exist). Stop assuming that just because you dislike the guy, that he's some whiney dissapointment. Honestly, if you hate Andy so much, then why waste your time gossiping and bitching about him on here? Do you all spend so much time on here that you have nothing else to talk about?...or are the players you 'like' just shitty, and thus leave nothing for you to post about them?

Jeez, drop the negativity and move on. If you don't like a player, then ignore him completely and don't bother congesting theads with your whining. From what I've seen on here, you're all complete hypocrites. You bitch and moan about Andy's 'whining', but you're all just as bad (if not worse) than him. It's ridiculous.

I've been biting my tongue for way too long, but enough is enough. Want to know the saddest part? I'm younger than probably half of the members here, and yet I feel like I'm one of the most mature. I've never seen more pathetic grudges held against players that none of you know personally. I don't mind people disliking players...hell, I have my fair share. But there is a fine line between dislike and flat out disrespect. Not only do a fair majority disrespect players, but their fans as well. It really is disgusting.

So here's my word of advice. Take it or leave it, I really don't care anymore...
Get over yourselves, quit acting like you know everything, and GROW UP.

*Ljubica*
11-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Well - most people here know I'm not a fan of Roddick - but some people seem to have gone way over the top here in my opinion. :rolleyes: Whatever my personal views on him - I don't believe that he would fake an injury in something as important as a Masters' event (Bercy) - and I am sure he would attempt to play in Shanghai unless he had medical advice that told him playing there would be detrimental to his 2006 season. If he withdraws from Shanghai it will be because he has no choice - and in my opinion it would be sad for the tournament because he is a Top 8 player and has earned his right to be there whether I personally like him or not.

revolution
11-08-2005, 06:06 PM

Apparently, you all have nothing better to do than jab over and over again at the same stupid issues (a fair amount of which don't even exist). Stop assuming that just because you dislike the guy, that he's some whiney dissapointment. Honestly, if you hate Andy so much, then why waste your time gossiping and bitching about him on here? Do you all spend so much time on here that you have nothing else to talk about?...or are the players you 'like' just shitty, and thus leave nothing for you to post about them?

Jeez, drop the negativity and move on. If you don't like a player, then ignore him completely and don't bother congesting theads with your whining. From what I've seen on here, you're all complete hypocrites. You bitch and moan about Andy's 'whining', but you're all just as bad (if not worse) than him. It's ridiculous.

I've been biting my tongue for way too long, but enough is enough. Want to know the saddest part? I'm younger than probably half of the members here, and yet I feel like I'm one of the most mature. I've never seen more pathetic grudges held against players that none of you know personally. I don't mind people disliking players...hell, I have my fair share. But there is a fine line between dislike and flat out disrespect. Not only do a fair majority disrespect players, but their fans as well. It really is disgusting.

So here's my word of advice. Take it or leave it, I really don't care anymore...
Get over yourselves, quit acting like you know everything, and GROW UP.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

DhammaTiger
11-08-2005, 06:27 PM
So? How does that translate to meaning that he doesn't want to go to Shanghai? How does that explain that before his injury in Paris he said that the thing that was most important to him was getting rhythm and momentum for Shanghai and that winning in Paris would be a secondary goal? Even Saturday, he said he wants to go and that he'll get as much treatment as possible to allow that to happen.

Aside from the speculation from people that don't like him and somehow think he's clever enough to orchestrate and fake this whole thing a week in advance, is there any proof he doesn't want to go to Shanghai? I didn't think so. Anyone know actually takes the time to know anything about him is that he always wants to win and he's not afraid to lose and he doesn't shirk from his responsibilities without a good reason (this is the same person who flew from South Carolina to Thailand to play a tourney that was a lot less important than TMC when he easily could've claimed an injury if he'd so desired. He was so exhausted that he had to be given smelling salts during his first match).

I realize people here dislike him, some intensely. But if you think he faked and exaggerated and planned this whole thing, it takes a pretty intelligent person to pull that off as convincingly as he did. So if he did that, I guess he must be smarter than you think he is ;)

i didn't say he wasn't going. I just replied to someone who said that roddick went to the last two tmcs. Fyi, I don't dislike Roddick or like him.

nobama
11-08-2005, 06:33 PM

i don't think it takes much brains to pretend to be injured so that you have an excuse if you lose.What evidence do people have that Roddick faked an injury. None. Of course people that don't like Roddick will believe anything that makes him look bad. :rolleyes:

nobama
11-08-2005, 06:35 PM

Get over yourselves, quit acting like you know everything, and GROW UP. :yeah:

btw....I'm a fedtard :p

celia
11-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Do you really think he's that stupid....and even if he is do you think his trainer and physio (both with him as you can see in that photo) would let him play if they thought it would make the injury worse? He didn't play in Canada earlier this year when he had points to defend and his YE #1 ranking wasn't a for sure thing. He may not be sharp/in-form enough to win, but that's not a legitimate excuse to pull out. Injury, yes, but not because your rusty. Certainly not when your #1 in the world and defending champ.
i totally agree. which means that he is probably NOT injured.

so why all the pretence? i'm confused.

and for the record, i am no kind of TARD.

celia
11-08-2005, 06:40 PM
What evidence do people have that Roddick faked an injury. None. Of course people that don't like Roddick will believe anything that makes him look bad. :rolleyes:
that's probably true. and people who don't like Federer will do the same. and so on. and so on.

i guess i just have no respect for anyone who seems to be going out of their way to make sure they have an excuse down the road. and yes some can say that Federer may be doing the same thing. and guess what? they're entitled to their opinions right?

partygirl
11-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Go easy on celia. She's new and just another one of those Fedtards who's obsessed with Roddick. :yeah:
i know all to well about obsession...thats still no excuse to be lame, use your brain sweetie ;) ;)

Dirk
11-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Roger's protecting his glory just fine. Andy has brought his brought his own bad commentary due to his results. Nadal has earned his status as a new possible number one. Some of us might not like his game but we don't deny how effected his game is.

partygirl
11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Andy has brought his brought his own bad commentary due to his results.

results...you act like he's accomplished nothing :rolleyes:
love him or hate him for a 23 year old guy he's not sitting letting the world pass him by...maybe he just doesn't live up to your standards....but your standards are for you to live up to...not to subject on someone else.

Dirk
11-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Party girl I was talking about this year. 5 titles is nice but not winning a master shield or a slam is not a good sign at all. His year was not terrible but not great either.

Fee
11-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Anybody who saw Andy on SNL knows that he is the WORST actor and that he would have a hard time faking anything. Get over it already. The injury is as real as Andy's sometimes misguided sense of loyalty and obligation to his fans, friends and worthy causes.

partygirl
11-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Party girl I was talking about this year. 5 titles is nice but not winning a master shield or a slam is not a good sign at all. His year was not terrible but not great either.

i know what you meant...and ill agree its not great but its NOT horrible as some would like to believe...its just that winning is'nt everything you learn more by losing then you ever do by winning and nobody gets more pissed when andy loses than me (well hopefully he does) so at the least he should be gaining knowledge
i just think people should cut all the players why REALLY try some slack...trying day in and day out is not easy and its the most you can ask of anyone and i think andy try's as much as any....

i just want to :clap2: anyone who try's.
trying to be a negative jerk doesnt count.

sidenote- dirk partygirl is compound. ;)

PaulieM
11-08-2005, 07:15 PM
i don't think andy faked his injury, but i do think it was probably a bad decision to play the charity event last night. i understand that he wanted to honor his comittment, and it was just a few sets, but he should be resting his back etc. to increase his chances of being alright to play shanghai. he probably could have gotten away with acting as umpire or something, if it was a reasonable audience they would have appreciated him being there at all. :shrug: i hope andy's back is ok and he goes to shanghai, it's a big tournament and it would be sad for the tournament to lose another top player. :(

shruti
11-08-2005, 07:20 PM
i don't think andy faked his injury, but i do think it was probably a bad decision to play the charity event last night. i understand that he wanted to honor his comittment, and it was just a few sets, but he should be resting his back etc. to increase his chances of being alright to play shanghai. he probably could have gotten away with acting as umpire or something, if it was a reasonable audience they would have appreciated him being there at all. :shrug: i hope andy's back is ok and he goes to shanghai, it's a big tournament and it would be sad for the tournament to lose another top player. :(
i think he went to d charity coz he's sorta indebted to EJ and BJK for d rest of his life. :p
but ya playin there was a bad idea..he could hav gotten away wid jus an appearance.

nobama
11-08-2005, 07:28 PM

and for the record, i am no kind of TARD.You're saying Federer was/is not injured? :confused: Yeah, I suppose the crutches were just part of the acting job. And wearing the ankle braces right now are just for effect, to continue to perpetutate the great big lie so everyone else at TMC can think they have a shot at the title.

People here seem to think Rogelio and Andy are such great actors....maybe they'll star in a movie together someday. :lol:

Horatio Caine
11-08-2005, 07:29 PM
After seeing the elaborate menus, I guess Andy thought he might appear on it so he is taking off for home? :shrug:

PaulieM
11-08-2005, 07:35 PM
People here seem to think Rogelio and Andy are such great actors....maybe they'll star in a movie together someday. :lol:
only if it's a porn movie. ;)

Fumus
11-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Andy will be at Shanghai....no doubt!

Regenbogen
11-08-2005, 08:45 PM
You're saying Federer was/is not injured? :confused: Yeah, I suppose the crutches were just part of the acting job. And wearing the ankle braces right now are just for effect, to continue to perpetutate the great big lie so everyone else at TMC can think they have a shot at the title.

:haha:

DJ dropshot
11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
From Foxsports Australia:

There was better news for Tennis Masters Cup officials in Shanghai yesterday when world No.3 Andy Roddick shrugged off a back injury and declared himself fit.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17185876-23216,00.html

hablovah19
11-08-2005, 09:16 PM
:topic: I love :hearts: your avatar!!! :p

euroka1
11-08-2005, 09:45 PM

It's great that he's in!

I agree that he doesn't fake injuries so much as overacts about them, particularly if he is being threatened before or during a match (get the trainer!). He's always been somewhat of a ham actor rather than a good or a clever one.

I expect to see more of this in Shanghai.

Noelle
11-08-2005, 11:58 PM
:rolleyes:

Carito_90
11-09-2005, 12:09 AM

and for the record, i am no kind of TARD.

:lol: You're so friggin funny.

Please, be serious. What player would pretend not being able to hit groundstrokes and therefore lose in the SFs of a TMS and pretend later on he's still injured in order to miss the Tennis Masters Cup. Why would he miss it?

Seriously, I mean, you couldn't make any less sense even if you tried :haha:

Rod_Arg91
11-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Andy is down of Shangai and Nalbandian is In iĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ If you dont believe me take a look on the "Marca" newspaper from España or go to this links:

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/tenis/es/desarrollo/589413.html
http://www.lacapital.com.ar/2005/11/08/ovacion/noticia_244685.shtml

Sorry for my EnglishĦĦ

Bye........ and Go Daviiiiiiiiiiid on ShangaiĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ :worship:

Pd: Aunque no lo merezcas jeje

Deboogle!.
11-09-2005, 12:46 AM
um..... so completely contradictory news items.....wtf???

lunahielo
11-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Gracias~~Rod_Arg91

*Viva Chile*
11-09-2005, 12:53 AM
In chilean news said that Roddick finally withdraw from Shanghai: (in spanish)

http://www.latercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3308_5832_170144058,00.html

mangoes
11-09-2005, 12:53 AM
:lol: You're so friggin funny.

Please, be serious. What player would pretend not being able to hit groundstrokes and therefore lose in the SFs of a TMS and pretend later on he's still injured in order to miss the Tennis Masters Cup. Why would he miss it?

Seriously, I mean, you couldn't make any less sense even if you tried :haha:

I think it may be he doesn't want to go there and lose. On some level he doesn't expect to win any matches against Roger, Rafa, or Ljubicic and he doesn't want to risk the humiliation. I think there is a lot going on with Andy on an emotional level, but that's just my opinion. I don't hate Andy, in fact, I like him a lot, but he has lost a lot of confidance as of late.

I was quite sure since Sunday that he was going to withdraw so this news isn't shocking. I think he gave a lot of indications that he intended to withdraw at a reasonable time.

nobama
11-09-2005, 12:55 AM
only if it's a porn movie. ;):tape:

Grinder
11-09-2005, 12:55 AM
I think it may be he doesn't want to go there and lose. On some level he doesn't expect to win any matches against Roger, Rafa, or Ljubicic and he doesn't want to risk the humiliation. I think there is a lot going on with Andy on an emotional level, but that's just my opinion. I don't hate Andy, in fact, I like him a lot, but he has lost a lot of confidance as of late.

Roddick still has the advantage over Nadal on any surface besides clay. It took Nadal four sets to put away Roddick on clay and it nearly went to five.

mangoes
11-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Roddick still has the advantage over Nadal on any surface besides clay. It took Nadal four sets to put away Roddick on clay and it nearly went to five.

That may be so, but I think Andy has lost a lot of confidance and he probably does not believe he can beat Nadal. A big part of winning has to do with self belief. I'm not going to say who is a better player between Andy and Rafa. I think Rafa has grown a lot since that match between he and Andy so I'm not going to say that either one has an advantage over the other.

lau
11-09-2005, 12:59 AM
In chilean news said that Roddick finally withdraw from Shanghai: (in spanish)

http://www.latercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3308_5832_170144058,00.html
The same here in Argentina, it´s a "last moment" news, published 1 hour and a quarter ago... http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/11/08/um/m-01086123.htm
(in spanish too)

lau
11-09-2005, 01:19 AM
The news is in every online newspaper here. BTW, DPA is the news agency...

nobama
11-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Here's more acting from Fed....pretending to enjoy a sponor's event in Shanghai...:lol:

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-11-09/U354P6T12D1869400F44DT20051109000759.jpg

Deboogle!.
11-09-2005, 01:51 AM
The news is in every online newspaper here. BTW, DPA is the news agency...I'm just trying to clarify - the same news from the same agency (DPA) is where all this news from all these papers is coming from? So it's been a bunch of places but it's really only one source?

PaulieM
11-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Here's more acting from Fed....pretending to enjoy a sponor's event in Shanghai...:lol:

well his acting is better than paris hilton's :shrug: the true test however will be the sex tape...

Noelle
11-09-2005, 01:57 AM
I'm just trying to clarify - the same news from the same agency (DPA) is where all this news from all these papers is coming from? So it's been a bunch of places but it's really only one source?
And the source is an unnamed high ranking official of men's tennis. I don't really trust articles based on only one source, and an unnamed one at that.

lau
11-09-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm just trying to clarify - the same news from the same agency (DPA) is where all this news from all these papers is coming from? So it's been a bunch of places but it's really only one source?
I didn´t check ALL the newspapers, but those who gave the source said DPA... But that`s reliable (not infallible)... I mean, it´s one of the most important news agencies in the world. Newspapers pay to recieve this from news agencies..., it´s the agencies job...
As far as I know, the source is DPA.

Deboogle!.
11-09-2005, 02:13 AM
I didn´t check ALL the newspapers, but those who gave the source said DPA... But that`s reliable (not infallible)... I mean, it´s one of the most important news agencies in the world. Newspapers pay to recieve this from news agencies..., it´s the agencies job...
As far as I know, the source is DPA.Thank you :) I'm not saying they're unreliable. Just if it's 5 different sources or 1 of the same, it makes a difference. Thanks again :)

lau
11-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Thank you :) I'm not saying they're unreliable. Just if it's 5 different sources or 1 of the same, it makes a difference. Thanks again :)
I know... I just said it seems reliable... :D
And you`re welcome :)

Deboogle!.
11-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Well it's official now anyway

http://www.masters-cup.com/en/news/2005/nalbandian_in.asp