Most Improved Players of 2005 not including Nadal and Gasquet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most Improved Players of 2005 not including Nadal and Gasquet

Action Jackson
11-07-2005, 05:40 AM
Nadal was clearly the most improved player of 2005 and as for Gasquet there has been enough talk about him already.

These are guys who have improved this year, but are not necessarily getting recognition cause they been overlooked by performances from Nadal and the other youngsters.

Davydenko: Plays virtually every week and finally turned in some excellent results like the QF at the AO, he was outstanding against Cańas, semi at RG, semi in Hamburg and Barcelona and also some good results indoors as well. He will always be one of those guys overlooked, irrespective of how he performs.

Ferrer: He has decided not to be as passive as he was previously and showed a marked improvement, sure he had the benefit of a meltdown of Malisse and the injury of Zabaleta in Monte Carlo, but he was able to improve off the clay with good performances in Miami and Madrid, plus doing well in RG and Rome. Great fighting spirit and won a lot of matches, that he should have been put away in.

Ginepri: Decided to stick a very simple game plan which works for him and gets the job done and once he beat Roddick for the first time, then he rode on a wave of confidence throughout the American season, with his excellent performances in Cincy and the US Open. All these guys should be looked at by some of the more talented players out there, as an example of what can be done if prepared to put the work in.

Ljubicic: Has had a big season with the potential to lead Croatia to its first Davis Cup, he has done well, though still lacking a breakthrough in the big events, losing finals to Federer and Nadal are not bad performances, but he was favoured to beat J.Johansson and Berdych. His efforts won't be overlooked not with the vocal Croatian MTF population. :)

It's not a question of whether I like these guys or not, but they all have stepped up to the plate in 2005 and improved their games noticeably. The question is it a career year for them, or can they improve more?

There are others as well like Gonzalez, but who have the most improvements from the players who have been around for more than 2 years.

idolwatcher1
11-07-2005, 07:28 AM
considering Ginepri recently beat Davydenko, Ferrer, & Gasquet, and played very well against Nadal, I guess you had to include him in your list... :p

~EMiLiTA~
11-07-2005, 07:32 AM
yep...i would agree with all 4 of them. and am particularly happy for ferrer...never expected him to finish in the top 20!!!

Galaxystorm
11-07-2005, 09:40 AM
and am particularly happy for ferrer...never expected him to finish in the top 20!!!

not even his mum could think it :tape:

Action Jackson
11-07-2005, 09:44 AM
considering Ginepri recently beat Davydenko, Ferrer, & Gasquet, and played very well against Nadal, I guess you had to include him in your list... :p

It's not a popularity contest.

Horatio Caine
11-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Ginepri certainly - he looked like he was going the same way as JMG despite being more talented. A fanatastic end to the year for him and I see him as being a consistent top 30 player now if he remains physically and mentally ( :smash: ) healthy.

On a lesser note, Andy Murray has improved greatly ;)
He was a talented player at the start of the year but was confined to winning futures titles and little else. How things can change with one trip to London's grass courts :lol:

spooky105
11-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Gael Monfils play good this 2nd half of year - winning title, and making 2 losing finals.

Frederick16
11-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Ferrero made an good step in the good direction again! And olivier rochus!

Deivid23
11-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Hanescu, Vik, Serra (I still wonder how he managed to win that title, similar weird stuff as Ventura last year :shrug: )

Action Jackson
11-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Wes Moodie, another bolter who pulled out 2 titles this season, the Wimbledon one was surprising enough, but winning a singles title beating Nieminen and Ancic when he didn't have much singles form and hasn't had much since.

jazz_girl
11-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Juan Martín del Potro: He started the season at the 1045th place in the ATP Ranking, and he's now 159th. He's 17 years old and yesterday won his first Challenger in Uruguay :yeah:

nermo
11-07-2005, 10:31 AM
i think, i 'll give my vote for :Mariano puerta.though i guess, he can do more..
second comes Monfils.
then Ginepri with obvious accomplishements.

Action Jackson
11-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Juan Martín del Potro: He started the season at the 1045th place in the ATP Ranking, and he's now 159th. He's 17 years old and yesterday won his first Challenger in Uruguay :yeah:

Yes, and hopefully he can play some main level events next year.

Fergie
11-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Robby, Ivan and David for me! :yeah:

kali_puerta_fan
11-07-2005, 11:19 AM
my list is...Mariano Puerta, definetely, for his 2 titles this year+ RG final and Vietnam semi's. Then Serra, for his beautiful fight here in Bucharest...

kasgill
11-07-2005, 11:28 AM
i predict puerta will end up outside of the top 30 next year :devil:

DhammaTiger
11-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Puerta, Berdych, Ferrer, Ginepri, Murray,Monfils

chicco77
11-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I don't think Gasquet improved as much as a few other this year.. actually his year was more or less 6 month, because this elbow is so problematic for him...

I think he'll be a great player but i'm not sure he improved so much this year.. He was already great before but we hardly saw him last year..

For me it is Berdych and i do think that Ljubi has done his best year ever.

Action Jackson
11-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't think Gasquet improved as much as other this year.. actually his year was more or less 6 month, because this elbow is so problematic for him...

I think he'll be a great player but i'm not sure he improved so much this year.. He was already great before but we hardly saw him last year..

For me it is Berdych and i do think that Ljubi has done his best year ever.

How was Gasquet great before? He had a big result qualifying for Monte Carlo when he was 15. He overcame his illness and had showed a lot of improvement, considering where he was ranked at the start of the year to now, he made big improvements.

ginny_legend
11-07-2005, 11:59 AM
ginepri as well, think he has broken through now he is in the top 20.

chicco77
11-07-2005, 12:06 PM
How was Gasquet great before? He had a big result qualifying for Monte Carlo when he was 15. He overcame his illness and had showed a lot of improvement, considering where he was ranked at the start of the year to now, he made big improvements.

In my opinion it s also that he was so often injured last year that he just could not show us what he got. I think he always had this backhand , he just earned some power of course this year because he's older.. But anyway for me he just could play a lot more then last year and he just plays better the important points.. I think he took experience, power and such stuff but in the strokes î'm not so sure he improved so much.. he just is not 17 anymore so he can now manage to win important points, to serve stronger etc.. just my opinion.

And i forgot to include ginepri, great year for him.

Action Jackson
11-07-2005, 12:17 PM
In my opinion it s also that he was so often injured last year that he just could not show us what he got. I think he always had this backhand , he just earned some power of course this year because he's older.. But anyway for me he just could play a lot more then last year and he just plays better the important points.. I think he took experience, power and such stuff but in the strokes î'm not so sure he improved so much.. he just is not 17 anymore so he can now manage to win important points, to serve stronger etc.. just my opinion.

He got better and stronger, but he was not great before, the reason I did not include him as he has been spoken about so many times as to how excellent his progress was, just like Nadal albeit less spectacularly.

chicco77
11-07-2005, 12:21 PM
GeorgeW you are right, of course it's true he improved a lot. What i was trying to say was that in my opinion there are a few players who improved still more during this year. Ginepri , berdych or ljubi really played better this year, for me the difference is maybe still bigger with gasquet, that s all. :wavey:

Action Jackson
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
GeorgeW you are right, of course it's true he improved a lot. What i was trying to say was that in my opinion there are a few players who improved still more during this year. Ginepri , berdych or ljubi really played better this year, for me the difference is maybe still bigger with gasquet, that s all. :wavey:

Yes, those guys Ginepri, Ljubo, Berdych, Ferrer progessed a lot, but Gasquet improved, it has already been talked about a lot with him, but not these other guys and I even said it in the title of the thread.

LaTenista
11-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Ferrer - He has consistently improved his ranking every year he's been on tour and I think he'll crack into the Top 10 next year because he'll have more confidence on other surfaces besides clay.

Berdych - Is he the new Safin? He's now won Paris at 20 like Marat. Top 20 next year for sure, Top 15 if he doesn't have lapses of concentration.

Andreev - Definitely a breakthrough season winning 3 titles - Valencia, Palermo, and Moscow. But now that he's proved his mettle, he needs to play less because he's already injured his knee playing 31 events this year. :eek:

mini155
11-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Berdych, Murray and -Goerge, as you predicted- Ljubicic :worship:

landoud
11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Ljubicic and Ginepri

case
11-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Why is it so hard to see that this has turned out to be a year that cannot be used to judge talent or improvement? I have said and so have others that injuries changed who would win the tournaments and ultimately the rankings.

Ljubicic ? Ginepri? Let's be serious-:haha:
THEY HAVE NOT IMPROVED THE FIELD HAS WEAKENED

(where's Minnie Driver when I need her?)

Action Jackson
11-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Why is it so hard to see that this has turned out to be a year that cannot be used to judge talent or improvement? I have said and so have others that injuries changed who would win the tournaments and ultimately the rankings.

Ljubicic ? Ginepri? Let's be serious-:haha:
THEY HAVE NOT IMPROVED THE FIELD HAS WEAKENED

(where's Minnie Driver when I need her?)

Can I have the name of your drug dealer? It's better I know as not to purchase the same products are you using.

Yes. Ljubo hasn't improved and you well tell us to be serious and yes I am the hugest fan of Ginepri on this planet, can't fluke all the wins against better players than themselves.

alfonsojose
11-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Ginepri :drool: Under Armour should give him real shorts, not those long pants :devil:

case
11-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Which part of their game has improved- GIVE ME DETAILS! *

The fact that you arbitrarily wrote off Nadal and Gasquet attests to your lack of common sense. I can only guess you wanted to write something about a group of lesser players and in doing so build them up.
You seem to have intentionally deleted the fact that they are often oldies-and not so good-goodies!

* you cant. the only evidence you are forwarding is their magical wins in tournaments and their beatting better players. Often the better players were injured, but again you omit the important detail.

alfonsojose
11-07-2005, 04:12 PM
what about Gael?

lorenz
11-07-2005, 04:13 PM
yep...i would agree with all 4 of them. and am particularly
happy for ferrer...never expected him to finish in the top 20!!!

You are Right, I agreed with all of you,
but You musn't forget Gaudio, He won 5 titles this year and that is a pretty improvement.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
11-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Murray and Djokovic.

tennismaster882001
11-07-2005, 05:45 PM

The fact that you arbitrarily wrote off Nadal and Gasquet attests to your lack of common sense. I can only guess you wanted to write something about a group of lesser players and in doing so build them up.
You seem to have intentionally deleted the fact that they are often oldies-and not so good-goodies!

* you cant. the only evidence you are forwarding is their magical wins in tournaments and their beatting better players. Often the better players were injured, but again you omit the important detail.

You are clearly out of your mind!!!

adee-gee
11-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Murray has risen over 400 places in the last 6 months :yeah:

idolwatcher1
11-07-2005, 06:21 PM

Let me start out by saying that if I were Richard Gasquet, I would be embarrassed to have you as a fan. You have clearly demonstrated how bitter you are, and how your biases have blinded you of reality.

What part of Ginepri's game has improved this year?? He's improved his serve, he's improved his backhand, he's improved his patience and concentration during rallies, and he's also improved his net play this year, as well as many other things, including his work ethic and determination...

Roger Federer on Robby Ginepri: "Robby has been playing great. I had a rough one with him in Cincinnati" (September 8, 2005)
Marat Safin on Robby Ginepri: "If he can maintain his game in this level, he can be in Top 20 for sure. That's for sure." (August 19, 2005)
Andre Agassi on Robby Ginepri: "He's playing a lot smarter." (September 10, 2005)
Rafael Nadal on Robby Ginepri: "He plays very aggressive. Is not easy for me to play against him." (October 22, 2005)

Case, I guess you're right, he's made no improvements this year... :retard:

El Legenda
11-07-2005, 06:26 PM

Ljubicic went 6-6 vs Top 10

LaTenista
11-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Ginepri :drool: Under Armour should give him real shorts, not those long pants :devil:

:lol: You should just watch old reruns of Borg and McEnroe from the 70s/80s.

Has much as I am not fond of Ginepri, I have to admit he's improved a lot this year.

case
11-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Let me start out by saying that if I were Richard Gasquet, I would be embarrassed to have you as a fan. You have clearly demonstrated how bitter you are, and how your biases have blinded you of reality.

What part of Ginepri's game has improved this year?? He's improved his serve, he's improved his backhand, he's improved his patience and concentration during rallies, and he's also improved his net play this year, as well as many other things, including his work ethic and determination...

Case, I guess you're right, he's made no improvements this year... :retard:

Biased????????? The only bias I have is for good tennis.

cant say much about his serve and for his backhand?
I am a fan of Gasquet for a reason-I know a good backhand.
Wow- patience, concentration, work ethic, and determination.
I realise now what he is really qualified at-

LETS GET GINEPRI A JOB AT WALMART! :)
He even gets to wear smilies!

His tennis skills however are still lacking. :)

The one truth you state is that I'm bitter. I am I like GOOD tennis and with so many injuries of the MASTERS quality players, I might as well watch the feeble guys that play down the street at the public courts.

GO AHEAD RUIN MY REPUTATION!

disturb3d
11-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Ljubicic / Puerta

Both will continue to improve in 2006

Fedex
11-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Davydenko and Ljubicic

idolwatcher1
11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Biased????????? The only bias I have is for good tennis.

cant say much about his serve and for his backhand?
I am a fan of Gasquet for a reason-I know a good backhand.
Wow- patience, concentration, work ethic, and determination.
I realise now what he is really qualified at-

LETS GET GINEPRI A JOB AT WALMART! :)
He even gets to wear smilies!

His tennis skills however are still lacking. :)

The one truth you state is that I'm bitter. I am I like GOOD tennis and with so many injuries of the MASTERS quality players, I might as well watch the feeble guys that play down the street at the public courts.

GO AHEAD RUIN MY REPUTATION!

:lol: You seem to have a bias against players who beat your favorite...Your idea of what "good tennis" is, is simply your opinon, and probably quite narrow at that, however, that's hardly an excuse to pretend as if certain players have not improved any this year (oh, except for the ones you happen to like... ;) )

You conveniently ignore the comments made about Ginepri from top players... :) Obviously, it annoys you that they've seen improvements with him, as well as many people on this forum, but you're still living in denial... :)

Like I said, if I were Richard Gasquet, I would be embarrassed to have you as a fan...

revolution
11-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Murray (what an emergence)
Baghdatis (GS 4th round appearance, first final)
Puerta (GS final, plus a title)
Ljubicic (two TMS finals, two titles, fed finals)
Ginepri (top 20 from 90)
Blake (back in top 30 after injury and personal troubles)
Gonzalez (made breakthroughs in Auckland, Basel)
Berdych (TMS)
Davydenko (great year, TMC, and put his talents to good use)
Ferrer (once upon a time he didn't have a clue on fast surfaces, also a GS quarter final)
Andreev (top 30 impressive, for someone with maybe not much talent, but he has applied himself well)

jole
11-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Hanescu, Vik, Serra (I still wonder how he managed to win that title, similar weird stuff as Ventura last year :shrug: )

Very true. Robin Vik is one of the more solid players a ton of people know absolutely nothing about.

Ugh, you had to remind me about Ventura's title. :p

Deivid23
11-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Very true. Robin Vik is one of the more solid players a ton of people know absolutely nothing about.

Ugh, you had to remind me about Ventura's title. :p

First time I saw this Vik playing was this year against Moyá in RG and I quite liked what I saw, no surprise he has taken challengers this year by storm and has made some noise lately in bigger events.

I didn´t watch that final but I can think it could well look like Hrbaty was getting frustrated by Ventura giving back balls and dropshoting him till death :o

R.Federer
11-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Its hard to look beyond Murray for me

Grinder
11-07-2005, 09:58 PM
I agree with all of the ones that GWH mentioned as well as the following:

James Blake: I can't believe only one person has mentioned James so far. James has always had the game, but he didn't use it right. Towards the latter part of this year, James improved his shot selection on his forehand, return of serve, the power on his first and second serve and changed his backhand from a liability to weapon.

Andy Murray: As much as I can't stand this guy, he's really showed that he can compete in the big leagues from out of nowhere this year.

Robin Vik: Started the year playing futures and ended the year playing in the semifinals of tour level event.

Juan Martin Del Potro: Started the year losing to Donald Young in straight sets, ends the year ranked inside the top 200 with his first challenger title.

vincayou
11-07-2005, 10:44 PM
I agree :eek: with GWH.
I'll just add that the ones which really surprised me were Davidenko and Ginepri. About Murray and Monfils, it's their first year, so it's really hard to assess their improvement.

Merton
11-08-2005, 02:29 AM
I also agree about Davydenko, Ferrer and Ginepri. I can't stand Ginepri and i am not a fan of either Davy or David, but the work ethic they displayed is admirable. In the case of Davydenko, he most probably attained a carreer high this year, i cannot see how he will improve further next year.

These guys should be an inspiration for people like Verdasco and Mallise who are more naturally gifted but have not utilized their talents in full so far.

Tennis_Passion
11-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Let's not leave out Berdych, but the title has gotta go to Nadal:worship:
(PS: who still has the potential to be the most improved player next year;))

Action Jackson
11-08-2005, 06:08 AM

It seems comprehension is a problem here, the thread title was not misleading in any way, the last sentence of the original post said players that had been around for at least a few years. Yes, Nadal and Gasquet suffer from a lack of coverage and appreciation.

The only way you can whine about injuries if a player wins and his results read for example if they won a 64 person draw.

You are so comical that people who can't stand Ginepri and there are a lot of them in this thread can see he has improved, he doesn't give away as many cheap errors as usual, he hits with better length and as for good tennis, like that everyone on this planet is going to agree on what is good tennis.

Plastic Bertrand
11-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Apart from the original ones that were mentioned, Blake made an outstanding recovery to finish in the top 30 and gain a seeding for the Aus Open. Nieminen also made some improvements and was able to come back to a good level, it would be good if he could break his title drought.

case, there have been more than enough reasons to explain why Ginepri has improved, it does not mean that people have to like it.