Ivan Ljubicic: "He was just too good" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ivan Ljubicic: "He was just too good"

RickDaStick
11-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Way to give credit where its due Ivan :yeah:

croat123
11-06-2005, 05:21 PM
but a million years ago he said something bad about the most humble, down to earth tennis player ever and that will always make him an asshole

:angel:

adee-gee
11-06-2005, 05:23 PM
:bigclap: Ivan you've learned to take defeat graciously

mini155
11-06-2005, 05:27 PM
but a million years ago he said something bad about the most humble, down to earth tennis player ever and that will always make him an asshole

:angel:

:rolls:

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 05:31 PM
He needs to talk to Andy Murray about winning against the big boys ;) :haha:

mini155
11-06-2005, 05:34 PM
He needs to talk to Andy Murray about winning against the big boys ;) :haha:

Or to Henman about losing to the small boys ;) :devil:

Tourmalante
11-06-2005, 05:36 PM
His gracious comments and sportsmanship are commendable but he must take care not to become too confortable with losing. I remember the calm and joviality with which James Blake took his chokejob to Agassi(which was embarassing) at the US Open. Blake is a great person but I thought his attitude was deplorable and bordering on being "*******"- so focused on being polite, unthreatening, and gentlemanly that he gifted matches to more ruthless and pragmatic players when he had them at his mercy. Having to constantly present a smile at these pysche-damaging losses eventually leads to a loss of competetive spirit until you just become a carpet for opponents to tread on.

Grinder
11-06-2005, 05:38 PM
His gracious comments and sportsmanship are commendable but he must take care not to become too confortable with losing. I remember the calm and joviality with which James Blake took his chokejob to Agassi(which was embarassing) at the US Open. Blake is a great person but I thought his attitude was deplorable and bordering on being "*******"- so focused on being polite, unthreatening, and gentlemanly that he gifted matches to more ruthless and pragmatic players when he had them at his mercy. Having to constantly present a smile at these pysche-damaging losses eventually leads to a loss of competetive spirit until you just become a carpet for opponents to tread on.

You try too hard...

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Or to Henman about losing to the small boys ;) :devil:

Henman has defeated Federer in a final ;) :devil:

Tourmalante
11-06-2005, 05:44 PM
You try too hard...

??????????????

mini155
11-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Henman has defeated Federer in a final ;) :devil:

Once upon a time when he was young?? :devil:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
11-06-2005, 05:55 PM
He better WILL BE too good in big events as well.

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Once upon a time when he was young?? :devil:

Result still stands ;)

...oh and may I just remind you of Henman's run to the Paris 2003 final...

Grosjean, Kuerten, Federer and Roddick...all brilliant names

...oh and didn't he win the final? :shrug: I might have temporary amnesia :scratch:

+alonso
11-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Nice words :yeah:
Congrats for the season you had Ivan!! :yeah:

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 05:58 PM
He was probably still in recoil from Berdych's bitchslap ;)

mini155
11-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Result still stands ;)

...oh and may I just remind you of Henman's run to the Paris 2003 final...

Grosjean, Kuerten, Federer and Roddick...all brilliant names

...oh and didn't he win the final? :shrug: I might have temporary amnesia :scratch:

:D Yes, he did...but again: once upon a time, when he had a future in this ATP-circus... :devil:

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 06:08 PM
:D Yes, he did...but again: once upon a time, when he had a future in this ATP-circus... :devil:

He had a future in the biggest events in the world...Ivan is still one stage lower in the triangle. Henman walks over him :devil:

mini155
11-06-2005, 06:14 PM
He had a future in the biggest events in the world...Ivan is still one stage lower in the triangle. Henman walks over him :devil:

Really nice to see you agree with me by writing that he had a future...And I honestly donīt think that Ivan can still be considered "one stage lower" than Henman... btw, any idea about when Henman is going to retire??

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Really nice to see you agree with me by writing that he had a future...And I honestly donīt think that Ivan can still be considered "one stage lower" than Henman... btw, any idea about when Henman is going to retire??

Has Ivan won an AMS title?
Has Ivan reached 4 AMS finals?
Has Ivan won over 10 ATP titles?
Has Ivan reached the SF of ANY GS tournies...and has he done it 6 times?

Gee - I don't know the answer! :haha:

El Legenda
11-06-2005, 06:18 PM

damn all the final and SF, henman might be the "Career Choker" :) btw i predicated and bet on Henman losing in 2nd round of Wimby this year.

mini155
11-06-2005, 06:19 PM

No, but he still HAS time... :)

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 06:19 PM

Well he still has a future in the game for as long as he plays but yes his time at the very top may be up.

He has had a disjointed season - the start of 2005 was fine. Everything went Pete Tong from Queen's really and that was also the start of his injury troubles. If he hadn't been injured he would have been top 20 without a doubt.

Don't count him out - he usually responds well after the offseason and if he does then things could bode well for him. If he doesn't then I fear it may be the beginning of the end.

He has 2 or 3 years left in him if he gets back into the top 20 - if he doesn't get near to it next year then i fear he will bow out at the end of 2006 or at his favourite venue - Wimbledon 2007.

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 06:21 PM
No, but he still HAS time... :)

Thus,

(a) You cannot say he is better than Henman right now ;)
(b) This was a great chance. He is only brilliant indoors...next year there is likely to be at least 2 top 5 players there.

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 06:24 PM
damn all the final and SF, henman might be the "Career Choker" :) btw i predicated and bet on Henman losing in 2nd round of Wimby this year.

I honestly thought Nieminen would nab him R1. :shrug:

Henman didn't choke any of GS SF or even the AMS Finals away.

He lost to Sampras twice and Hewitt - no chance
Goran - he had a chance but still didn't have the lead of a break or anything.
Federer - nothing to say.
Coria - had a shock lead but was by no means clear winner.

Hewitt x2 IW - no chance.
Enqvist in Cincinnati - beaten convincingly.

He has lost to quality opposition at the time....has Ljubo done that all the time?

mini155
11-06-2005, 06:26 PM
He has 2 or 3 years left in him if he gets back into the top 20 - if he doesn't get near to it next year then i fear he will bow out at the end of 2006 or at his favourite venue - Wimbledon 2007.

Probably right after losing to a Croat...(btw, I always felt sorry for him, because of this...)

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Probably right after losing to a Croat...(btw, I always felt sorry for him, because of this...)

I have no hard feelings about Goran winning that match as it really did seem like God's wish tbh. The final brought tears to my eyes.

Yeah yeah we have a problem with Croats...but so long as someone else deals with them then it isn't so bad :devil:

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
...and Ancic couldn't beat a fish right now... :rolleyes:

Silawen
11-06-2005, 06:32 PM
So, because Ljubicic says it it's graciously taking defeat, but when someone else says it it is being referred to as 'normal sportsmanship.' Why must this be posted? Because he was unkind in the past and has learned to cover up?

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 07:08 PM
So, because Ljubicic says it it's graciously taking defeat, but when someone else says it it is being referred to as 'normal sportsmanship.' Why must this be posted? Because he was unkind in the past and has learned to cover up?

Good point :worship:

That is what I like about Croat tennis fans - most of them post crap :haha:

mini155
11-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Good point :worship:

That is what I like about Croat tennis fans - most of them post crap :haha:

thx :crying2:

Jogy
11-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Fair from Ivan, I have not to copmlain this time about it!

s.m.
11-06-2005, 10:44 PM
very nice from ivan but i think he was a bit too passive in 5th set
but he got to tms finals with his average game
that is confirmation of a class player
winning when you are tired, when you are injured or just having a bad day