Tennis Historians: Bill Tilden related question. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Historians: Bill Tilden related question.

prima donna
11-04-2005, 03:38 PM
I've a fair amount of tennis knowledge with regards to the players of yesterday, however, Tilden was the first all-court player really ... from what I understand ... preferred the baseline more than traditional netplay and his only real weakness was his backhand up until he took a winter at an indoor court and learned himself a Top Spin backhand which made his game completely unattackable.

So, the question is: Realistically, judging from the technology and type of play, was it possible for Tilden to be a "true baseliner" --- I mean, with a wooden racquet sure his personal preference was to stay back but about how often would you think he'd come in ? I'm thinking the ratio was 60% - 40%

60% - Baseline
40% - Net play

I just don't think it was possibly for a player to be one-dimensional and have below average or simply mediocre net skills & compete at the level that he did. I raise the question, because I wish to get a fair assessment of about how often he actually *used* a top spin backhand as opposed to a slice (traditionally used as an approach shot) which would reveal the true level of his backhand at the time on a scale of 1 - 5 stars.

Nimi
11-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Considering what I've heard of him, it appeares that he had quite a modern game. I actually imagine him playing alot like Federer apart from Fed's mid-court brilliance.

I think players like Tilden with his ambitioun and creativity would be a great in every era considering the right adjustments.

Nimi
11-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Dear oh dear, my spelling took a nose-dive as of recently.

Forgive my lack of editing.