Safin will end the year at #16 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin will end the year at #16

Grinder
11-04-2005, 02:41 AM
Marat Safin will lose an additional 200 points from last years TMC so his ranking will go down to #16 in the entry rankings, this is granted that Robredo doesn't win his quarterfinal match aganist Ljubicic and Stepanek does not make the final. If that does happen, he could be ranked as low as #18. Think about that, that would mean as the 16th seed (or lower) for the Australian Open, Safin could draw Federer, Roddick, Nadal or Hewitt as early as the fourth round.

I just thought it was funny how the defending Australian Open champion will most likely be seeded outside the top 15 for the Australian.

Hewitt could also end the year at #8 if he does not participate in the TMC or he goes winless in Shanghai.

*Viva Chile*
11-04-2005, 02:53 AM
poor Marat :sad:

I hope he can recover and could defend his points of AO next year :hug:

Grinder
11-04-2005, 03:09 AM
Now that you mention the AO. A first round loss there for Marat (knowing Marat that's very possible) would drop him down somewhere around #75 in the entry ranking.

Ouch.

savesthedizzle
11-04-2005, 03:22 AM
Now that you mention the AO. A first round loss there for Marat (knowing Marat that's very possible) would drop him down somewhere around #75 in the entry ranking.

Ouch.

He'll be able to rebound. Won't be easy, but if that would happen to him, it's possible. JCF did a pretty good job of it this year.

nobama
11-04-2005, 03:26 AM
Marat :sad:

|-Safin_Coria-|
11-04-2005, 03:30 AM
:eek: :unsure:
Marat, come back strong!

*Viva Chile*
11-04-2005, 03:35 AM

Ouch.
When Marat came back in AO 2004 after his wrist injury he started around #75 in the entry ranking and finished the year #4 .... Everything is possible and IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING!!! :yeah:

ys
11-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Think about that, that would mean as the 16th seed (or lower) for the Australian Open, Safin could draw Federer, Roddick, Nadal or Hewitt as early as the fourth round.

One of these four will get an extra week of beaching and surfing. Good for them..

Havok
11-04-2005, 03:56 AM

Ouch.
Ouch, that hurt just to read it :sad:. I hope this doesn't happen.

Deboogle!.
11-04-2005, 04:08 AM
:(

njnetswill
11-04-2005, 04:11 AM
Safin floating around as the 16 seed is not good.

disturb3d
11-04-2005, 04:16 AM
Marat Safin will lose an additional 200 points from last years TMC so his ranking will go down to #16 in the entry rankings, this is granted that Robredo doesn't win his quarterfinal match aganist Ljubicic and Stepanek does not make the final. If that does happen, he could be ranked as low as #18. Think about that, that would mean as the 16th seed (or lower) for the Australian Open, Safin could draw Federer, Roddick, Nadal or Hewitt as early as the fourth round.

I just thought it was funny how the defending Australian Open champion will most likely be seeded outside the top 15 for the Australian.

Hewitt could also end the year at #8 if he does not participate in the TMC or he goes winless in Shanghai.This is a major blow to the seeded players.
Roger of all players wouldn't be happy to draw Safin in the opening rounds, be it whatever surface.

Merton
11-04-2005, 05:24 AM
The important thing is to come back healthy, then he will take care of the rating.

Action Jackson
11-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Ranking is irrelevant, especially when it comes to playing without pain in his knee.

BelgianWaffle
11-04-2005, 06:45 AM

Ouch.
Gah, don't say that :unsure:

GonzoFan
11-04-2005, 06:58 AM

Ouch.

:eek: really??? that would be awful :sad: poor Marat ...
I hope he'll be 100% healthy next year :hug:

1sun
11-04-2005, 07:38 AM
that is just wrong

idolwatcher1
11-04-2005, 07:56 AM
I know Safin wants to defend his AO title, but the way things are going with him, I don't know if he will even play there, and if he does, it's hard for me to picture him actually winning it again... :unsure: my heart goes out to him

NYCtennisfan
11-04-2005, 08:06 AM

Ouch.

Very possible indeed. It's hard to imagine arguably the second most talented player in the world would be ranked that low. I am not sure if he will ever be 100% again. I recall SAfin himself saying that this type of problem would not go away or be fixed and that it would be something that he would have to deal with for the rest of his career.

Hurry back Marat because the tour is just not the same without you.

Melekhin
11-04-2005, 10:11 AM
hE WAS IN THE SAME SITUATION BEFORE

ao 2003, MAKE A FINAL WHEN WA DOWN TO 80S IN RANKING

jtipson
11-04-2005, 10:17 AM

Hewitt could also end the year at #8 if he does not participate in the TMC or he goes winless in Shanghai.

Points from TMC fall off at the same time as those from Bercy, so if you're looking at the predicted rankings for Monday, Safin's TMC semi points are already gone.

Safin will be 11th unless Ferrer reaches the final at Bercy, or Robredo wins it.

Hewitt may drop in the rankings if other guys just below him do very well at the TMC, but he's unlikely to end up less than 6th.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
11-04-2005, 10:23 AM
If Marat loses at the AO in the 1st round he should retire, not everyone is able to recover twice from such a low ranking (for a player like he's).

crouching
11-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Safin's race points at the end of the year are 346, so his entry points are 346 x 5 = 1730 which will put him at about 11th for next week's rankings. (e.g. Gaudio is No. 11 this week with 1730 points). He will not end the year lower than 12th as only one person can overtake him in the rankings (either Ferrer as a finalist in Paris or Robredo wins the title)

This means he should be hovering in that No. 10-13 region until the Australian Open, which could be good or bad in terms of the seeding in the 8-12 or the 13-16 zone.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
He won Paris last year now he'll lose a lot of points, 500.

jenanun
11-04-2005, 11:12 AM
i dont care about his ranking...while he is injured

just want him to be fit and play his best tennis soon.... then he wont have any problem to bounce back to top 5... and i m sure he will!

Damita
11-04-2005, 11:13 AM

ao 2003, MAKE A FINAL WHEN WA DOWN TO 80S IN RANKINGit was AO 2004, and he had been training hard during the whole winter in order to do that.
This time the injury seems to be a never ending problem as every week he withdrew for the next tournament... we're not sure yet if he'll be able to practise this winter, and we can't be sure that he will play the Hopman Cup as expected. So it's a bit early to think about what he can do in Melbourne, if he plays the AO :scared: :sad:

David Kenzie
11-04-2005, 11:21 AM

He won Paris last year now he'll lose a lot of points, 500.
AMS PAris 2004 and Masters Cup 2004 points both drop on Monday. That will leave Safin with 1730 points. (2430 - 500 - 200).

Safin cannot fall lower than #12 in 2005 and is likely to end the year at #11 (only Ferrer or Robredo can catch him, but not both as they are in the same half of the draw).

BelgianWaffle
11-04-2005, 12:04 PM
If Marat loses at the AO in the 1st round he should retire.
:rolleyes:

*edit* Sorry, forgot I was talking to Federer_express here. *ignores* :ras:

Rogiman
11-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Safin's race points at the end of the year are 346, so his entry points are 346 x 5 = 1730 which will put him at about 11th for next week's rankings.
That's it, no further formulas.

Why is it so complicated to everyone to understand that (at least for players ranked high enough and do not play challengers) the year-end entry ranking is the same as the their final race position...?

crouching
11-04-2005, 01:19 PM
That's it, no further formulas.

Why is it so complicated to everyone to understand that (at least for players ranked high enough and do not play challengers) the year-end entry ranking is the same as the their final race position...?

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that people do understand that the year-end race and entry rankings are identical for the top players?

gillian
11-04-2005, 01:36 PM
This Safin fan is depressed. We need a support group. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Noelle
11-04-2005, 01:49 PM
:sad:

revolution
11-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Safin.. the second most talented player in the world.. and he loses first round a lot.. it's weird.....hope he can win AO again....

Rogiman
11-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Why is it so difficult for people to understand that people do understand that the year-end race and entry rankings are identical for the top players?
I was backing your post if that wasn't clear.

Action Jackson
11-04-2005, 02:29 PM
I was backing your post if that wasn't clear.

Commonsense is in short supply, so explaining a mathematic formula will be even harder.

gooner88
11-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Marat will get right back to the top soon...

roberta
11-04-2005, 02:57 PM
MAAAAAAAAARRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!! NO!! *FAINTS* :eek: :rolleyes: :o
I can´t believe it!!!..this is sooo bad......:sad:
what i still love you marat!!!...
pleeeaaseee..make 2006 your year...!!!
i miss you......:sad:

it reminds me 2003.....(his worst year) :retard:

Aurora
11-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Form is temporary, class is permanent. fantastic statement! :bowdown: :bowdown:

I present the wonderful Hippononymous: A Refuge for OAF-addicted (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=14148)

*Viva Chile*
11-04-2005, 05:25 PM

ao 2003, MAKE A FINAL WHEN WA DOWN TO 80S IN RANKING
it was before AO 2004, 2003 was the year of the wrist injury ;)

Chris Seahorse
11-04-2005, 05:28 PM
I really don't think Marat is going to lose any sleep over his ranking. I'm sure Marat's only concern right now is that his knee gets better. A high ranking is useful because it gets a player into all the best tournaments. But in Marat's case if his ranking drops very low he will hardly have to worry. If he returns after February he will be allowed a protected ranking and even if he returns before then and his ranking falls very low he can always count on wildcards to get him into pretty much any tournament he wants. If tournaments are prepared to give wildcards to used up hasbeens like Philippoussis they will certainly be more than happy to assist Safin if he needs it. As for being unseeded that will be nothing new to Safin whose ranking has been a nonstop rollercoaster ride ever since he first appeared on the tour. All that matters is that he gets fit.

Mario66
11-04-2005, 05:47 PM
I really don't think Marat is going to lose any sleep over his ranking. I'm sure Marat's only concern right now is that his knee gets better. A high ranking is useful because it gets a player into all the best tournaments. But in Marat's case if his ranking drops very low he will hardly have to worry. If he returns after February he will be allowed a protected ranking and even if he returns before then and his ranking falls very low he can always count on wildcards to get him into pretty much any tournament he wants. If tournaments are prepared to give wildcards to used up hasbeens like Philippoussis they will certainly be more than happy to assist Safin if he needs it. As for being unseeded that will be nothing new to Safin whose ranking has been a nonstop rollercoaster ride ever since he first appeared on the tour. All that matters is that he gets fit.

Exactly , great post! :wavey:

And I hope and believe that Marat will come back to the same level where he was before his injury and play some great tennis 2006! He is still the same Marat, if he just stays healthy! :)

Viken01
11-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, let's wait and see how is injury goes. If he plays AO 2006, i don't think he will win it again because he has not played for a long time, but i'm confident that he will reach the QF.

Anyways good luck safin !! :)

mangoes
11-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Marat will make a quick climb up the ladder next year ;)

Jennay
11-04-2005, 10:33 PM
:worship:

Still hoping that his knee recovers soon. :(

distilk
11-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Safin ended the year at #10, I think

Meeek
11-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Well, his knee is more important than his ranking.
If he manages to get his knee fit and healthy again, he'll be rising to the top 10 again in no time.

idolwatcher1
11-05-2005, 08:13 AM
I hope fans of Marat will expect the worst, but still hope for the best...I don't think anyone should expect him to defend his AO title in '06, because he may not even play there, and if he does play there, anything can happen :unsure: Just leave the door open for anything to happen...

iced gem
11-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Well, his knee is more important than his ranking.
If he manages to get his knee fit and healthy again, he'll be rising to the top 10 again in no time.

I agree.
The knee is the most important thing - his ranking should eventually take care of itself.
I don't want him to rush his comeback to play the AO if his knee is not fully ready - regardless of how much his ranking would slip.

1sun
11-05-2005, 01:46 PM
dont worry, marat will be fit and raring to go at the aussie

drf716
11-07-2005, 05:11 AM
hmmph

idolwatcher1
11-07-2005, 05:34 AM

I guess I'm not as sure as you are... :unsure:

uNIVERSE mAN
11-07-2005, 02:55 PM
I agree.
The knee is the most important thing - his ranking should eventually take care of itself.
I don't want him to rush his comeback to play the AO if his knee is not fully ready - regardless of how much his ranking would slip.

nothing takes care of itself when it comes to Safin.

hablovah19
11-07-2005, 09:45 PM
get well soon safin :bounce::hug:

Kristine
11-08-2005, 03:01 AM

I hear you! I'm so sad for Marat!

idolwatcher1
01-11-2006, 04:50 AM
:confused: :o

nkhera1
01-11-2006, 04:52 AM
You don't lose points if you have an injury though or am I mistaken? What is Safin's ranking going to be after the AO now that he isn't participating.

idolwatcher1
01-11-2006, 06:47 AM
You don't lose points if you have an injury though or am I mistaken? What is Safin's ranking going to be after the AO now that he isn't participating.
I'm not sure, but I do know that if Marat's ranking isn't protected, then at least 50 players will move up a spot after the AO... :unsure:

smucav
01-11-2006, 07:41 AM
You don't lose points if you have an injury though or am I mistaken?His points will fall off on schedule, but if he doesn't play at all until February 13th, he'll be eligible for a protected ranking of approximately 6. Along with wild cards (& tournaments with low cut-offs) that will pretty much allow him to enter tournaments for the rest of the year.
What is Safin's ranking going to be after the AO now that he isn't participating.Someone in another thread estimated it to be in the 70-80 range depending on the results of others.

uNIVERSE mAN
01-11-2006, 02:27 PM
I agree.

ranking taking care of itself? historically Safin gets points for Aus Open,.....then nothing.....fast forward...., and points for Indoors.

this was the tournament that he depended on to take care of it. From now until US Open, he can't take care of shit, he always sucks in this part of the calendar. Nosedive time!

jtipson
01-11-2006, 03:19 PM
His points will fall off on schedule, but if he doesn't play at all until February 13th, he'll be eligible for a protected ranking of approximately 6. Along with wild cards (& tournaments with low cut-offs) that will pretty much allow him to enter tournaments for the rest of the year.
Someone in another thread estimated it to be in the 70-80 range depending on the results of others.

I don't think it's quite as drastic as 70-80, with 1000 points off, I'd estimate Safin will be ranked in the late 40s to early 50s after the AO.

February 13th is six months since he last played then? A protected ranking will last for a certain number or tournaments or amount of time, whichever is used sooner, but that will stand him in good stead. The only problem is of course is that he won't get seeded on the protected ranking.

Jimnik
01-11-2006, 03:53 PM
ranking taking care of itself? historically Safin gets points for Aus Open,.....then nothing.....fast forward...., and points for Indoors.

this was the tournament that he depended on to take care of it. From now until US Open, he can't take care of shit, he always sucks in this part of the calendar. Nosedive time!
Marat loves playing indoors. I can see him doing well in Marseille, Rotterdam, Hamburg and Halle. Not to mention, I think he'll have a good clay season this year.