Federer confirms participation in Shanghai [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer confirms participation in Shanghai

R.Federer
11-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Federer fit to defend Masters Cup

Roger Federer will be fit to defend his Masters Cup title in Shanghai after recovering from an ankle injury.
The world number one had been a major doubt after missing the final three weeks of the regular season with a torn ankle ligament.

"A few weeks ago I was not sure how quickly my ankle would recover but now I am on the court and playing again," said Federer.

"I go to Shanghai with a fresh mind and look forward to defending the title."

Marat Safin confirmed on Wednesday that he will not play in Shanghai because of injury.

QUALIFIED FOR SHANGHAI
1. Roger Federer
2. Rafael Nadal
3. Andy Roddick
4. Lleyton Hewitt
- Marat Safin*
5. Andre Agassi
* Safin has withdrawn

The Russian stated on his website last week that a knee problem would rule him out and he has now informed the ATP.

Safin has agreed to travel to Shanghai for the tournament, which begins on 13 Novemeber, for promotional duties.

Rafael Nadal, Lleyton Hewitt and Andre Agassi all have injury worries, leaving Andy Roddick the only qualified player without any fitness concerns.

Agassi has been inactive since losing the US Open final to Federer, and a suspect back means it remains uncertain whether he will play.

Hewitt could miss the event either to attend the birth of his first child or because of an ongoing toe injury.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/tennis/4390500.stm

Phunkadelicious
11-03-2005, 04:20 PM
cool, I'm not really a Fed fan but it just wouldn't be right without him there :)

Tennis_Mad
11-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Bad news for everyone else then if Fed is fully fit!

MissMoJo
11-03-2005, 04:24 PM
I just bumped up the other thread :p . Very good news :)

skel1983
11-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Come on i think if we are all honest, we wan't to see the big two go at it at the masters cup!!!!

R.Federer
11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Skel is correct
Everyone wants to see repeat Roge-nadal match and get a good treat
Not to discount the other players, but this is one which will have a lot of intrigue because they are equal in titles and even though Roge probably still end #1, it would be disappointment to him to not win T.M.C (and particularly if nadal win it)

PaulieM
11-03-2005, 04:31 PM
:woohoo: finally some good news on this shit filled day that i'm having. :)

R.Federer
11-03-2005, 04:38 PM
cool, I'm not really a Fed fan but it just wouldn't be right without him there :)

Blowe, we can do the live score thread again, like with U.S.O. Thta was fun :) .... well not that much fun if you were rooting only for Agassi to win.

What happened to your username it became longer

Exodus
11-03-2005, 04:48 PM
If Roger is 100% fit then he is going to win the masters easily now that Safin is out of the picture.

Phunkadelicious
11-03-2005, 04:51 PM
What happened to your username it became longer

Premium Membership baby :yeah: next month I will change it to just AKA DJ, see Blowe AKA DJ is just a transition :p

RonE
11-03-2005, 04:58 PM
First bit of good news I've heard all day :woohoo: :banana:

Let's go Rogi- Ninja Mode on full blast!!! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/fighting/fighting0032.gif

prima donna
11-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Federer should be able to handle his opposition rather easily, since his only true "rival" is unable to participate, see ya down under Marat. :sad:

Good news for Roger! More time to prepare for a rematch of last years SF's.

Dirk
11-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Let's go Rogi- Ninja Mode on full blast!!! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/fighting/fighting0032.gif

Yes Ninja full blast baby. :)

ToanNguyen
11-03-2005, 05:42 PM
This is really great news.
Tennis wasn't the same without Roger. Let's show them who is THE BOSS
:worship: :worship: :worship:

*Ljubica*
11-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Great news :) The TMC wouldn't be the same without the Number 1 in the world.

nobama
11-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Assuming he's fully fit and not at all rusty. If he plays anything like he did in Cincy, this title won't be his.

NYCtennisfan
11-03-2005, 06:39 PM
I fully expected this and am happy. It's interesting how he just mentions his ankle. I know people were talking about ligaments and what not. I don't think ANY torn ligaments could heal in time for rigorous competition. Maybe it was more of a severe sprain.

nobama
11-03-2005, 07:17 PM
I fully expected this and am happy. It's interesting how he just mentions his ankle. I know people were talking about ligaments and what not. I don't think ANY torn ligaments could heal in time for rigorous competition. Maybe it was more of a severe sprain.Who knows what the injury really was/is. But Roger never said much other than he would be out for a couple weeks. In fact fans on his website were complaining because of lack of information from him. There were "rumors" about his injury being more serious and possibly needing surgery, but none of it ever came from Roger himself. The original message posted on his website said that his doctors thought he would be able to paricipate in TMC Shanghai. And now he is. :)

Havok
11-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Never doubted Roger's entry into the TMC. I knew he was always gonna play, but I just hope that somebody NOT named Federer/Nadal wins this because this year has been a bore :zzz:.

ExpectedWinner
11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
but I just hope that somebody NOT named Federer/Nadal wins this because this year has been a bore :zzz:.

I thouhgt Roddick's domination in Lyon has already added much needed spice in otherwise bland soup. :p

Dirk
11-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Assuming he's fully fit and not at all rusty. If he plays anything like he did in Cincy, this title won't be his.

How can you say that? The Cup field won't exactly be overly impressive. If Roger is healthy I would say he has a good shot even in a tough group.

Dirk
11-03-2005, 07:42 PM
I thouhgt Roddick's domination in Lyon has already added much needed spice in otherwise bland soup. :p

Roddick could have a Federer/Nadal like year in 06 and Naldo wouldn't be bored. That is how the game works. Everyone hates domination unless their faves are the ones dominating.

case
11-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Never doubted Roger's entry into the TMC. I knew he was always gonna play, but I just hope that somebody NOT named Federer/Nadal wins this because this year has been a bore :zzz:.

It's just my opinion, but there was never any doubt that he would play. It all seemed so coincidental. Injury just bad enough to get rested for SHanghai.
Bet i'm not the only one thinking it phoney!

ExpectedWinner
11-03-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't think ANY torn ligaments could heal in time for rigorous competition. Maybe it was more of a severe sprain.

As I was told, even minor sprains result from the stretching and/or tearing of small ligaments . :confused:

musefanatic
11-03-2005, 08:26 PM
I hope he can do this successfully and not damage anything else. Good luck fed!!

TenHound
11-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Roger has learned that being too candid about your physical condition, if it's not optimal, is not very intelligent.

Sjengster
11-03-2005, 10:02 PM
It's just my opinion, but there was never any doubt that he would play. It all seemed so coincidental. Injury just bad enough to get rested for SHanghai.

Yes, he obviously thought that the best thing to do was snub a tournament played in his hometown that he has never won before, despite suffering the pain of two consecutive final losses.

rofe
11-03-2005, 10:02 PM

Thats Rogelio-Ninja to you! :p

Serously, that is good news! I hope it is not a repeat of Cincy style playing though :scared:

rofe
11-03-2005, 10:06 PM

He could still scrape a win but I would rather not see that ugly tennis. :armed:

soraya
11-03-2005, 11:20 PM

I don't think a swollen ankle shown to Nadal in his Basel hotel was phony, nor that he would go to the extent to be in crutches for couple of weeks to convince the world about the seriousness of the injury. I believe that Roger has more class than that.

bad gambler
11-03-2005, 11:22 PM
even if federer is 50% fit he will win

PaulieM
11-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Yes, he obviously thought that the best thing to do was snub a tournament played in his hometown that he has never won before, despite suffering the pain of two consecutive final losses.
silly sjengster i hope you don't think that disproves anything, if anything it's just further proof that case is correct. i mean come on it's for exactly those reasons that he didn't play, he was clearly afraid of losing in basel again and decided to avoid the whole issue by faking an injury. :shrug:

Flibbertigibbet
11-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Well, I've had a pretty bad day, and the last of my favorites in Paris (Djokovic) lost, so this is some nice news to hear. I'm hoping he'll not only be fully fit but play good tennis as well, and I do hope that the rest of the field is strong as well.

Federerhingis
11-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Its such a relief and great news at the same time, I just finished reading the article from the atptennis. site. Finally I'll get to watch the final on tv, taking my thankgiving break a little earlier than usual. ;)

nobama
11-04-2005, 01:17 AM
silly sjengster i hope you don't think that disproves anything, if anything it's just further proof that case is correct. i mean come on it's for exactly those reasons that he didn't play, he was clearly afraid of losing in basel again and decided to avoid the whole issue by faking an injury. :shrug:I don't think they were being serious.

I don't think for a second he faked the injury, but what had been reported on the internet (like possibly needing surgery) could have been greatly exaggerated. Maybe people assumed the injury was worse than it is. :shrug:

lunahielo
11-04-2005, 01:29 AM
:) :) :)
Go, Ninja, go!!!

gsm
11-04-2005, 01:39 AM

i was thinking the same, here is an interesting quote from fed after his first match since this years wimbledon;

Q. Were you surprised by Blake's intensity tonight?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, you always get, I think, surprised after being away for five, six weeks, you know, from the intensity that is out there. You know, the balls, they come back so quick, you know. It's a different game you're playing than when you're practicing, you know. The practice, you can let maybe one or the other ball go by, but in the match every point really counts. You suddenly have the feeling everything is going much quicker than you're used to. That's definitely the feeling I had a little bit out there tonight.

RogersGirl
11-04-2005, 02:46 AM
the same day i read about federer's ankle injury, i fell down the stairs at home and severely sprained my ankle. the orthopedic surgeon said it was a torn ligament-- it hurts like a bitch. im able to limp on my foot and there's still pain, so im not so sure roger's was a torn ligament. i could be wrong, but this is supposed to take 6 weeks to fully heal. and seeing as im not the most athletic person in the world, its unlikely someone who is would be fully functional by this time. whatever the case, im very glad roger's doing better than i am.

Fergie
11-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Finally good news :D

nobama
11-04-2005, 03:05 AM
Well Roger was fit enough to attend the GQ Men of the Year awards in Munich tonight.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jsnash/56077703.jpg

Billabong
11-04-2005, 03:06 AM
Awesome news:banana: GOOOOOOOO FEDDDDDDDD:banana:!!!!!!!!

Art&Soul
11-04-2005, 03:12 AM
:woohoo: Good news finally, Rogelio back again :banana: :rocker2: :banana:

rofe
11-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Well Roger was fit enough to attend the GQ Men of the Year awards in Munich tonight.

Lose the double-breasted suit Roger. It simply doesn't work.

Is it just me or does Mirka look slimmer? :eek:

Sjengster
11-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Awesome news:banana: GOOOOOOOO FEDDDDDDDD:banana:!!!!!!!!

Ah, how I have missed this phrase from you. :D

nobama
11-04-2005, 03:18 AM

Is it just me or does Mirka look slimmer? :eek:Rogelio in a tux looks mighty fine to me whatever style it is. :yeah: Mirka does look slim(er) in that photo, but maybe it's the camera angle or maybe she's wearing something underneath that dress to suck it all in.

Polikarpov
11-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Praise God! hehehehehe! :lol:

I've been very anxious these past few days on whether Roger will play in Shanghai or not!

This is definitely a GOOD GOOD NEWS! :bounce:

By the way....Mirka looks great in that pic!

nobama
11-04-2005, 05:04 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jsnash/56077680.jpg

MissMoJo
11-04-2005, 05:41 AM
wow...he really does have a thing for black suits

PaulieM
11-04-2005, 07:08 AM

agreed about the double-breasted look. :( mirka does look slimmer but it could just be the camera angle and black is slimming as well. :shrug: the little bit of her dress that i can see looks nice. :)

avocadoe
11-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Glad to hear he plans to play...but i will believe it when he is there and actually playing, lol...I refuse to get my hopes up and be disappointed this month. but yeaaaaaaaaa if he does and can and wins and everything!!!!!!!! woops I'm excited :)

landoud
11-04-2005, 05:11 PM
that's great news

Mario66
11-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Great, it`s always a pleasure to look him playing! I think that there`s no doubt about the winner of this year`s Master`s Cup..:)

celia
11-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Federer fit to defend Masters Cup

Roger Federer will be fit to defend his Masters Cup title in Shanghai after recovering from an ankle injury.
best news ever!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

frederer
11-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Yessssss, it's a really good new. i'm so glad because Shanghai without the best it won't be the same... :)

liptea
11-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Rogelio in a tux looks mighty fine to me whatever style it is. :yeah: Mirka does look slim(er) in that photo, but maybe it's the camera angle or maybe she's wearing something underneath that dress to suck it all in.

Mirka's beautiful, always. I love her. and Roger's just spfhsudhlfbsd beautiful too.

oneandonlyhsn
11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
:woohoo: My ninja is back :hearts:

wcr
11-06-2005, 02:56 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jsnash/56077680.jpg

Nice pic. Thanks.

mandoura
11-06-2005, 05:11 AM
Oh Rogelio, it wouldn't be the same without you. :yippee: :bounce:

nobama
11-06-2005, 05:14 AM
Mirka's beautiful, always. I love her. and Roger's just spfhsudhlfbsd beautiful too.
http://www.gq-magazin.de/imperia/md/images/maennerdesjahres/gala/GQ_MAN0015.jpg

mandoura
11-06-2005, 05:20 AM

Yes she does. She definitely shed some weight. It's not just her body, look at her face. The double-chin is barely there. She looks beautiful. :)

TennisGrandSlam
11-06-2005, 05:33 AM
God Bless You

Hope that you will win the 12th ATP singles title of this year!

tangerine_dream
11-09-2005, 07:38 PM
As seen on tennis-x:

From The Telegraph: "Roger Federer, the winner of the past two Masters Cups, is said to have been experiencing "a strange feeling" in practice as he returns from an ankle injury, and Spain's Rafael Nadal is concerned about his tender left knee..." No injury worries here ATP or WTA! Just keep driving your product into the ground.
Roger's been dropping hints all week that he's not certain that he'll be able to play and with this latest "news" it's certain that he will either back out at the last minute or worse, have to retire during a match. This just doesn't look good. :sad:

AgassiDomination
11-09-2005, 11:37 PM
This is turning out to be too much like last years WTA :(

nobama
11-10-2005, 02:24 AM
As seen on tennis-x:

Roger's been dropping hints all week that he's not certain that he'll be able to play and with this latest "news" it's certain that he will either back out at the last minute or worse, have to retire during a match. This just doesn't look good. :sad:Oh please, it's a piece of gossip in the Daily Telegraph. Remember it was the London Times that claimed his injury was much worse than thought and surgery might be needed. If surgery was needed he wouldn't be in Shanghi right now.

A fan who met Roger today posted her account on his website. She said at one event Roger was kicking around a football with some kid (local tennis player) and his feet seemed just fine.