zagreb gets ex milan/ex minsk tournament [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

zagreb gets ex milan/ex minsk tournament

s.m.
11-03-2005, 06:26 AM
story goes like this
one of the best croatian tennis journalist is currently in paris on masters tourrnament
obviously he has great ties with the people in world of tennis which he build in 30 years of covering this sport

so, out of nowhere comes romano grilloti, atp ref and says to this journalist : so i hear that you will again have atp tournament
of course journalist is totaly suprised because he knows minsk got it
grilloti responds : yes, in first schedule they were sending me to minsk, now itīs zagreb
obviously journalist is intrigued by all of this, and tries to go deeper
his friend from public relations in atp says between the lines that minsk is defenitly history
next station was director of zagreb challenger and director of that possible atp tournamnet in zagreb
he said: soon the confirmation is expected, that is all i can say, this is great chance that we canīt let slip away

so finally we come to why minsk droped out of the race
owners of the licence for ex milan tournament ( dubai ) decided to rent the license for it
singapur was in play, but atp wouldnīt have that
they insisted that that tournament stays in europe
so that left minsk, helsinki, split and zagreb in play
minsk won with backup of the state and great lobying from max mirnyi
but minsk has now backed off and droped out
they have realized that they have been unrealistic with their plans ( read: lack of resources )

so than into play came great interest forom zagreb, the fact that we already had 3 successful croatia indoors ( two in zagreb, one in split )
of course the fact that we have ivan, mario and ivo didnīt hurt either
decision will be made in shanghai or little earlier
zagreb is still not sure bet, but it looks pretty damn good for 4th croatia indoors, and 3rd in zagreb

Action Jackson
11-03-2005, 06:36 AM
This isn't surprising if Zagreb gets this event, as it did have the indoors there before and the infrastructure is there, sure I'd have personally prefered Helsinki, as Finland doesn't have a tournament, but if this comes true, then congrats to Zagreb.

Galaxystorm
11-03-2005, 07:59 AM
If this new comes true, at last croats will play a tournament in their country since Umag seems to be a foreign ATP tournament for some croat players :tape:

JMG
11-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Helsinki would have been nice! :angel:

RaVeR
11-03-2005, 11:29 AM
i hope that Zagreb will get that routney :seah:

*Ljubica*
11-03-2005, 11:34 AM
i hope that Zagreb will get that routney :seah:

Yes - would be great - Zagreb is a great city :)

MariaV
11-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Helsinki would have been nice! :angel:
Sure it would have been, then maybe even I would've got to an ATP tournament.

nitsansh
11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Are we talking about next year right after Aussie Open????

Labamba
11-03-2005, 03:43 PM
This isn't surprising if Zagreb gets this event, as it did have the indoors there before and the infrastructure is there, sure I'd have personally prefered Helsinki, as Finland doesn't have a tournament, but if this comes true, then congrats to Zagreb.

I didn't even know that Helsinki was trying to get an ATP tournament. :eek: That would have been great!

mini155
11-03-2005, 04:11 PM
It would be so great :bigclap:
But Iīm not allowed to look forward to it yet, because I would be totally dissapointed if it didnīt happen....

mini155
11-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes - would be great - Zagreb is a great city :)

Definitley....have you already been there???

*Ljubica*
11-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Definitley....have you already been there???

I lived there for a year when I was younger (a few years ago now :sad: ), and I have visited often - I love it very much.

RickDaStick
11-03-2005, 05:56 PM
http://www.vecernji-list.hr/newsroom/sports/more/409237/index.do

Croatia Indoors is certain now. It will take place Jan 30 to Feb 5.

mini155
11-03-2005, 06:19 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

CooCooCachoo
11-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I think it's a good idea. A tournament in Minsk or Helsinki will not lead to as high a number of visitors.

nitsansh
11-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Can any of the Zagreb residents here (or anyone else who knows) tell me where the tournament will be staged? (I mean what venue?)

El Legenda
11-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Can any of the Zagreb residents here (or anyone else who knows) tell me where the tournament will be staged? (I mean what venue?)

Same place as DC vs USA in 2003

RickDaStick
11-03-2005, 06:42 PM

Dom Sportova, as Jerry said the same place where Cro beat Usa in DC

s.m.
11-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Dom Sportova, as Jerry said the same place where Cro beat Usa in DC

not quite the same
the complex is the same, and maybe some matches will be played there, but centre court will be in ice hockey/ice skating hall that is about 7000 to 8000 big :wavey:

tennismaster882001
11-03-2005, 07:04 PM
That's realy great news! I hope that some of my favorite players come here!

nitsansh
11-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Could you be more specific? I want to locate the venue on the map...

Dom Sportova is the place near Zapadni Kolodvor (station), right?

Where is the ice hockey hall you mentioned? Is it in the same complex or somewhere else?

nitsansh
11-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Speaking of ice hall... Zagreb was selected to stage the European Figure Skating Championship in January 2008... do you know where that will be held?
If we're talking about the same venue, late January-early February in 2008 will be busy time in there... it seems they'll have to move the date of the tennis tournament to avoid a clash (the Figure skating champ'ship will be until Jan 27 and the tennis tourney on the week of Jan 28)

mini155
11-03-2005, 07:31 PM
I donīt know the exact avenue, but itīs on "trg sportova"...

mini155
11-03-2005, 07:33 PM
not quite the same
the complex is the same, and maybe some matches will be played there, but centre court will be in ice hockey/ice skating hall that is about 7000 to 8000 big :wavey:

Are you sure that itīs going to be held in "ledenoj dvorani"???

nitsansh
11-03-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm thinking about going to Zagreb for that championship... how bad is the weather usually in January?

I have relatives in Zagreb so that would be an opportunity to combine family visit with a sport event... the latest news may make it possible to see my 2 favorite sports in one visit... that could be great!

s.m.
11-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Are you sure that itīs going to be held in "ledenoj dvorani"???

that is what they are saying
centre court was there during the 96ī indoors

s.m.
11-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Could you be more specific? I want to locate the venue on the map...

Dom Sportova is the place near Zapadni Kolodvor (station), right?

Where is the ice hockey hall you mentioned? Is it in the same complex or somewhere else?

you are 100% correct
dom sportova is near zapadni kolodvor, and in that complex is the hockey hall
centre court will be there during croatia indoors

s.m.
11-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Speaking of ice hall... Zagreb was selected to stage the European Figure Skating Championship in January 2008... do you know where that will be held?
If we're talking about the same venue, late January-early February in 2008 will be busy time in there... it seems they'll have to move the date of the tennis tournament to avoid a clash (the Figure skating champ'ship will be until Jan 27 and the tennis tourney on the week of Jan 28)

if that happens i think then they will move it to the hall where davis cup against germany and usa was played
95īindoors was also played there
itīs a smaller hall,, in the same complex
capacity about 4000

s.m.
11-04-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm thinking about going to Zagreb for that championship... how bad is the weather usually in January?

I have relatives in Zagreb so that would be an opportunity to combine family visit with a sport event... the latest news may make it possible to see my 2 favorite sports in one visit... that could be great!

it will be cold, that is for sure
donīt know about snow though
last years there was very little snowing

nitsansh
11-04-2005, 01:12 AM
if that happens i think then they will move it to the hall where davis cup against germany and usa was played
95īindoors was also played there
itīs a smaller hall,, in the same complex
capacity about 4000
I guess that they'll need both venues for the skating championships, the bigger one for competitions and the smaller for training... having 2 rinks near each other is a big plus for such championship...
The tennis tournament will also need at least 2 courts...

If the tournament will be on the week of Jan 28, they'll need the courts ready for training a few days earlier, and the qualifying should be held on Saturday and Sunday when the skating is on... also having these 2 events at the same time is a problem for accomodation, transportation and other logistic things... I don't think it's possible and one event will have to move... the skating championships is allready fixed so I think the ATP will just switch the dates between Zagreb and another European indoor tournament (probably Marseille which is 2 weeks later with Davis Cup in between). Anyway... they still have 2 years to worry about that...

My guess is that nearby Panorama hotel will be the official hotel for players and officials... is that what they usually do when sport events are held in Dom Sportova??

BTW... my map shows a smaller building across the street to the south of Dom Sportova towards the Panorama hotel... is that the ice hall you were talking about?

nitsansh
11-04-2005, 01:25 AM
One more question... do you know what type of surface will be used for this tournament?

s.m.
11-04-2005, 01:39 AM
I guess that they'll need both venues for the skating championships, the bigger one for competitions and the smaller for training... having 2 rinks near each other is a big plus for such championship...
The tennis tournament will also need at least 2 courts...

only one hall is with ice, and complex has more halls, so i donīt think that would be a problem
but that is all still far away
they will find a way i would think

My guess is that nearby Panorama hotel will be the official hotel for players and officials... is that what they usually do when sport events are held in Dom Sportova??

donīt know about that
in nearby there is another big hotel
bigger then panorama
ex intercontinental
it was called oper afther that, and now itīs westin
but that is one of two biggest hotels in zagreb, and itīt s not far away from the complex

BTW... my map shows a smaller building across the street to the south of Dom Sportova towards the Panorama hotel... is that the ice hall you were talking about?

dom sportova is name of the whole complex
ice hall is in that complex and it is the biggest hall in there
there is also a few smaller halls, but they are all in the same complex
maybe you are reffering to the small closed pool that is in the nearby

s.m.
11-04-2005, 01:40 AM
One more question... do you know what type of surface will be used for this tournament?

carpet
only other option would be clay, but that is out of the question

croat123
11-04-2005, 05:13 AM
:woohoo: i was so happy when i read about this on sportnet.hr :)

:bounce:

all three previous croatian indoors events were won by goran :) hopefully ivan or mario can keep the tradition...

nitsansh
11-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Ivan will probably be the top seed in 2006 tournament... I would be surprised to see another top-10 player in this tournament, unless the organizers have the money for appearance fees...
The top players usually take a break this week squeezed between Australian Open and Davis Cup...

Thanks to all those who answered my querries...