Tell Me about Acasuso's Game [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tell Me about Acasuso's Game

anna10
10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Having recently returned to following tennis more closely than just the Grand Slams and a few players, I'm trying to fill in some gaps in my knowledge. I'm starting with Acasuso - whose recent results have really brought him to my attention - along with some other Argentines, as a few of their countrymen already rank among my favorites.

What can you tell me about his game - I've picked up on the fact that he has a good serve? What are his strengths, his weaknesses, does he have a style of play similar to another well-known player that might help me place him?

Thanks for any information on his game.

*Ljubica*
10-28-2005, 02:12 PM
I think GWH is the best person to answer this one - and I'm sure he'll be pleased to once he's finished in Chucho's match scoring thread - but the best word I can use to describe Chucho is "unpredictable" - one day he'll be totally brilliant - and the next he'll lose to someone you have never heard of :rolleyes: Yes - he does have a big serve (better than the other Argentines)- and he describes it as his best and favourite shot. He is certainly not the easiest of players to support (often you feel like strangling him :devil: ) - but he brings his own rewards. Nice to see you here by the way Anna :hug: - I recognise you from Gaston's Forum.

Action Jackson
10-28-2005, 04:47 PM
I can't think too clearly now, so I will give more details tommorrow. The simple version is he has a good serve, smooth and excellent groundstrokes, forehand is good, but his backhand down the line is an excellent shot, a poor volleyer, can move well on clay for a big guy, on court he is unique.

Nathaliia
10-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, and don't forget to add how many metres he stays behind the baseline, no matter if it's clay or hardcourt. Plus the specific attitude to his stay on court sometimes... For sure, this personality is unique. Of course, his backhand is one-handed. OK I don't but in, I know GWH can describe him just like he should be described.

Mara_M
10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
he is pretty strong clay player as all argentinians..but carpet doesn't suit him...

Effka
10-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Can't wait for George's review :cool:

anna10
10-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for these details on his play. Hopefully I'll get to see him - preferably on one of his better days - next season. I wasn't able to watch all of the matches I recorded from Madrid - maybe I'll check through those after the Paris marathon and see if he ended up being shown.

Action Jackson
10-30-2005, 08:29 AM
I better do this properly an analysis of Acasuso's game isn't the easiest thing to do. This is at best and not on his worst days.

Serve: He has an excellent serve, the best out of the Argentine guys on tour at the moment, he hits it at good pace and on a roll he's hard to break. One thing he should do more though is hit more kick serves, especially with his height, he can get good angles with it and put them out of court, then have fun with running them ragged.

Forehand: It's a good shot and can hit well with angle and not just power, it's a safer and more consistent shot than his backhand, but not as spectacular as his backhand.

Backhand: The down the line backhand is his most spectacular shot, but the one which he will make the most errors from most of the time. Yes, it's one handed and with both the strokes they are well produced, when he can be bothered to move his feet.

Movement: For a big guy he moves quite well laterally, but not that well when he has to come forward to the net, vulnerable to short slices, where he would have to move forward off the baseline.

Temperament: Inconsistent is Chucho all the way, he can have his day, then lose to nearly any player, when he isn't playing well. He always looks like he is stoned on court and at times gives the impression he doesn’t care on court, so the unpredictability of what Chucho brings to the court, can be either extremely frustrating or very enjoyable.

Overall, well what can Chucho achieve, that depends on him. 2005 has been good to him overall, but he is capable at his best to be between 10-20 and be ranked between 20-30 so he shouldn’t have to qualify for TMS event, whether he can be bothered or can is another thing.

Mara_M
11-10-2005, 10:09 PM
omg george...u're an atp official:lol:?

Andres Guazzelli
11-20-2005, 12:07 AM
I like to consider him as a South American Ivan Ljubicic ;)
(They even dress the same ;) LOL)

Plastic Bertrand
11-26-2005, 03:00 AM

:) , though I think Chucho has a better forehand and Ljubicic has a better volley, but an interesting comparison.

Andres Guazzelli
12-13-2005, 04:43 PM
:) , though I think Chucho has a better forehand and Ljubicic has a better volley, but an interesting comparison.

They're around the same height (6'3'' and 6'4''), they kinda weight the same, they're both right handers, with similar service motion. They're both great servers, they both have One handed backhands.... and they dress the same!

Is kinda like Chucho is a youngster Ljubicic.

And I just love that Diadora shirt ;)

Action Jackson
12-14-2005, 02:39 AM
They're around the same height (6'3'' and 6'4''), they kinda weight the same, they're both right handers, with similar service motion. They're both great servers, they both have One handed backhands.... and they dress the same!

Is kinda like Chucho is a youngster Ljubicic.

And I just love that Diadora shirt ;)

Seńor Andres there is a resemblance between Chucho and Ljubo, the shirts, the games have certain similarities, they both don't like grass, just hope Chucho can have some more improvement in the hardcourt results.

Choupi
12-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Well I hope the resemblance between Ljubo & Chucho can reach another level: wisdom coming with age........;)

Mara_M
12-28-2005, 11:29 PM
yeah,wise and bold:lol:!

maria87
02-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I can't think too clearly now, so I will give more details tommorrow. The simple version is he has a good serve, smooth and excellent groundstrokes, forehand is good, but his backhand down the line is an excellent shot, a poor volleyer, can move well on clay for a big guy, on court he is unique.

Agree with you George, specially about the backhand down the line, it is beautiful!! but chucho had improved a lot his volley also. I saw him playing live in Miami 2003 and i think he has a great potential also in hard courts...he gave torubles to Blake in Australia, so he is in the way! :)

Action Jackson
02-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Chucho, well of course he can improve his movement to get as fast as possible. It's obvious he is not going to be like Coria or anything like that, but that can improve.

He said he wants to move up the rankings and he has to get fitter to do that, and playing doubles is good for him as it improves the serve, volley and return game which he needs.

Just hope no major injuries and he is able to achieve his goals and improved results on hardcourts and indoors are the way forward for him.

maria87
02-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Chucho, well of course he can improve his movement to get as fast as possible. It's obvious he is not going to be like Coria or anything like that, but that can improve.

He said he wants to move up the rankings and he has to get fitter to do that, and playing doubles is good for him as it improves the serve, volley and return game which he needs.
Just hope no major injuries and he is able to achieve his goals and improved results on hardcourts and indoors are the way forward for him.

Hi, George, thanks to reply and these are my considerations:

1-Right, i think Coria had just stuck his game....although i never thought he was such a great player as some people say...
2-yes, i didn't think that but it is obvious to me, now that you said it, that the doubles game will help him a lot to improve his movements. He is a big guy and sometimes he is slow but doubles game will make him faster for sure...
3-if he stays healthy and consistent he will get confidence, i still think confidence is one of his problems!

Action Jackson
02-05-2006, 02:40 PM
People develop at different speeds and Chucho's attitude on court is interesting and a lot of the time, he doesn't care too much

Also if he is that bit off with his timing, because he is a big guy, then it gets ugly very quickly. He is a shotmaker and the thing is getting the balance between offense and defence that is very difficult, he can improve his defensive play. He has a very good team around him and this is good.

maria87
02-05-2006, 03:11 PM
. He is a shotmaker and the thing is getting the balance between offense and defence that is very difficult, he can improve his defensive play. He has a very good team around him and this is good.

good point! :yeah:

Action Jackson
05-18-2006, 07:05 AM
He is going for his best ever career ranking and with a good performance in Hamburg, he will be able to be in the top 30 where he should be existing anyway.

The commentators here were very complimentary about how he has improved and with his game, he definitely has the potential to translate that to other surfaces.

Choupi
05-18-2006, 07:15 AM
Commentators here (Lionel Roux, Llodra's coach especially) were saying that he is among the ones who can do sthg great in RG and that Grosjean should get a hard match today.

Action Jackson
05-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Whatever happens, he will reach a career high ranking at the end of this week.

Choupi
05-19-2006, 01:39 PM
And that's great!!! :bounce:

anna10
05-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Since I originally posted, I've now had the chance to see several of Acasuso's matches over the season so far. I've enjoyed watching him, it's good to see him doing well, and hope he continues the track he's shown lately (the Stepanek match not counting).

maria87
05-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks for these details on his play. Hopefully I'll get to see him - preferably on one of his better days - next season. I wasn't able to watch all of the matches I recorded from Madrid - maybe I'll check through those after the Paris marathon and see if he ended up being shown.

Hi Anna,
i can give you some more details...as George said his backhand down the line is his better shot...to me when he hit it in paralell passing it is the best in the world (maybe beside the one of Marat)..this is a wonderful shot to see!! he didnt use it last matches, i dont know why...to me is his best winner

the serve is very good but he cant serve consistently all matches...he has to improve that as his lack of confidence: this is a problem between latinamerican palyers, i think this is a Third World effect! Whe he is on fire he can hit 22 aces last he did in Miami i think...

Chucho movements are his weak part because he is so much bigger and that makes him slow sometimes, BUT he improved this aspect of his game playing so much doubles...same for the volley, he can do it correctly now. The 2 points to arrived to SF breaking Vardasco were superb and one was a splendid crossing volley

If he plays with his serve and agressively he can be great players. Last matches i saw him a little bit defensive, so less winners.

I dont think he is just a clay court player, i sae him in M iami and he is pretty good. To me the problem there is not technique but mental problem, lasco of confidence again. He has all the potential toi be an all-surface palyer, he can dot it if he believe he can do it. :)

maria87
05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
something more: he can hits superb drop-shots, he has exquisite touchs, not only power on his groundstokes. :)

maria87
05-22-2006, 06:27 PM

i dont think Chucho could be compared to Ljubiic...Ljubo has a game "cuadrado" as we said here, too schematic...Chucho is more explosive, even in his "provincian" way...he is tipical guy from the inner country, but his game has beauty, really much beauty when he can mix power with touch. That's why i like to compare him with Marat. Both are inconsisten too!! their worse problem, even Marat is more quick with same size! :)

Action Jackson
05-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Since I originally posted, I've now had the chance to see several of Acasuso's matches over the season so far. I've enjoyed watching him, it's good to see him doing well, and hope he continues the track he's shown lately (the Stepanek match not counting).

It's not a fast process, but so far he has been doing alright. When I see a guy like Stepanek or Robredo in the top 10 this means that there is a lot of hope for him.

Still gets a bit too nervous when it counts.

maria87
05-23-2006, 01:00 PM

yeah, right, not counting...He should have won that match and that was a fantastic opportunity to win a Master Series without Nadal and Federer there. He can beat Stepanek and Robredo too. Still nervous as George said, and i bet this is the Thiid World effect i mentioned before. He is already 24? or 23? for the fast tennis we see these days it is time to big things...

Action Jackson
06-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Well Chucho blew a good chance at RG, but there are still plenty of things for him to improve on and yes his footwork always needs work, as he can become a bit lazy in this regard.

Also if he A game isn't working, just don't blast the ball harder and expect that to work. He is a bit one dimensional when things aren't going his way.

Action Jackson
08-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Chucho has reached his highest ranking but how it happened will always be hard to watch.

Choking and yes it was a choke from 5-1 up and 2 times to serve for the title and not doing it was a case of shitting his pants and this is something he needs to overcome if he wants to do justice to his talents. It's not easy for him as he is quite passive, but with the progress, there have been some blown opportunities in the big matches like the semis in Hamburg against Stepanek, Dlouhy at RG and against Ferrer in Stuttgart.

It's good that he has taken a break after Stuttgart and hopefully he has been working and he has some QF points to defend in Cincy, but he has the game to do well on hardcourts and lets see if he can continue his progress with improved results on the hardcourts.

Action Jackson
08-14-2006, 07:05 AM
After a good showing in Toronto, the big man has reached a new highest ranking of 20th in the worls, hope he can build on that.

Effka
08-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Wooow... i feel kind of touched :eek: Hopefully he can defend some points in Cincy and enjoy that position a bit longer :yeah:

Action Jackson
08-31-2006, 11:07 AM
One thing that needs to be improved is his performances in the Slams, there were 2 1R losses and a 2nd rounder at RG.

That is something for next season that has to be addressed.

Action Jackson
11-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Chucho finished inside the top 30 and looks like he will be seeded for the Aus Open.

As for the year in review, well there were some good improvements like he won a singles title and did very well in the Davis Cup environment.

The disappointments were a few as well and can't be glossed over. The worst 3 matches this season for differing reasons were his SF performance against Stepanek in Hamburg. Chucho totally froze when there was a chance for a TMS title and this was a common theme in the other 3 matches.

The second was at RG against Dlouhy leading a set and 2 breaks and should have comfortably been in the 3rd round against Robredo an opponent he plays against quite well, but he blew this chance and lost 6-1 in the 4th. Dropshot Dlouhy isn't that good.

Stuttgart was special leading 2 sets to 1 against Ferrer and 2 breaks 5-1 and serving for the match and he choked and it was nothing else, that was a huge opportunity blown.

So it was a good year in some ways, but the lows very low and now the goal for the big man is to improve on his Grand Slam results.

NATAS81
11-06-2006, 06:52 AM
He did not choke Stuttgart, BTW, his serve broke down over the course of the match.

Action Jackson
11-06-2006, 06:58 AM
He did not choke Stuttgart, BTW, his serve broke down over the course of the match.

Stop trolling in player threads I am not in the mood for it. I have seen the match more than enough times to see that for myself.

NATAS81
11-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Right. I'm the one trolling just because you sit here every day and post even though I followed the match as well and know what happened.

Action Jackson
11-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Right. I'm the one trolling just because you sit here every day and post even though I followed the match as well and know what happened.

Ok, tell me what happened Herr Natas?

Serving for a match twice and leading 5-1 in the 4th set and shitting yourself thinking about winning the biggest title by not playing the style of tennis that got to the lead in the 1st place.

This along with Mathieu vs. Coria were the two biggest chokes of the year.

NATAS81
11-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Ok, so sue me Herr GeorgeWAntiUSA.

Maybe it really was Ferrer serve that peaked in the 100 MPH range.

All I remember is someone not serving particularly well and we know Chucho has the habit of serving like a fool now and then.

So forgive me for not recording every match like you and possibly falling short on that take.

Action Jackson
11-06-2006, 07:08 AM
No probs Natas and are you bored or something? Just as a matter of interest.

Well no shit that Chucho can be a bit foolish on court, but he got tight and nervous and choked when he needed to be at his strongest and Ferrer punished him for it.

NATAS81
11-06-2006, 07:09 AM
You want foolish?

I keep getting confused between uppförande and förening.

What is a good way to distinguish the two?