Guga expains why he retired from match today [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Guga expains why he retired from match today

Dissident
07-31-2002, 12:33 AM
I just posted the translation to an interview he gave to our television some minutes ago. Its on Gugas forum.
I thought that maybe someone could be interested.
:sad:

http://www.atpworld.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=16690#post16690

TennisHack
07-31-2002, 01:18 AM
Guga talked to our boys at ESPN before he left the court, and said basically what you posted in the thread. I believe his priorities lie in getting healthy for next year, and that's a good thing :) Hard courts are the worst to come back to after an injury, especially when one plays as Guga does (sliding is natural). So I'm not looking for many results from Guga for the rest of the year. His hip's recovery is more important than making the grade on hard. After the US Open, he has very few points to defend, so he won't be too far out of it.

tennischick
07-31-2002, 01:34 AM
thanks both of you. i have felt all along (and Hitman you're probably sick of hearing me say this) that Guga had rushed back too quickly to defend his Roland Garros title instead of waiting for a proper and complete healing from his surgery. writers such as the folks at tennisreporters.net tried to make sense of his 'miracle' recovery. it was no miracle. his body is not ready. i'm glad he recognises that now and will allow himself to heal properly. if he doesn't, he may end up being all tentative and careful which will compromise his free-hitting game IMO. get well Guga. love ya. :hearts: :hearts:

Ace Tracker
07-31-2002, 01:45 AM
Guga said that he is going to wait a few days and feel how his body reacts to the rest to see if he plays Cincinatti or not...with his early retirement from the Canadian Open and possible withdrawal from Cincinatti, where he is the defending champ, Guga will fall from the top 20 in the ATP rankings, his lowest seed in years...:sad: The only good news is that he is giving top priority and wants to be fit for the US Open...

Dissident
07-31-2002, 01:48 AM
Ill tell all of you to take a look at the ranking posibilities analysis I did on the Guga forum.
TennisHack made me wonder. :eek:
Just check it yourselves. :wavey:

Daniel
07-31-2002, 02:21 PM
Get well soon Guga

:D :D :D

Putísima
07-31-2002, 03:10 PM
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

ys
07-31-2002, 03:42 PM
Honestly speaking, how many of you think that Guga will ever be back at his glorious best? Of course, as it stands for politically correct behaviour on these boards, everyone will say - of course he will be. But seriously, he is not 20 yo. He struggles even on clay ( last match he lost to some German player whose name I don't even remembe) . And look what happened to Norman after similar injury. There is no indication that Norman is going to be back. It is sad, but I think that it is not unlikely that Guga will never be a Top player again.

tennischick
07-31-2002, 04:54 PM
i hope you're wrong YS. i agree about Norman struggling and i had serious concerns about the implications of Guga's surgery. if it ends up constraining his career, that would be very sad. :sad: :sad: even if he never becomes a top player again, i'd like to see him return to the tour. i just enjoy watching him play.

Poe
07-31-2002, 05:01 PM
omg when this thread is at the top all you see on the main page is "Guga explains why he retired....."

tennischick
07-31-2002, 05:11 PM
Poe: that was my first reaction too! i freaked until i read the rest of the title! :eek:

hail2guga
07-31-2002, 05:23 PM
I am really optimistic that guga can return back to his old tennis form. However, there has been talk that maybe he rushed to play after his surgery. I think maybe he should rest a little more and not think that he has to play tennis just for the fans. His health is more important than pleasing the fans. I think most people will agree that an healthy guga is more interesting to watch than an hurt guga.

But I really hope he comes back to old form because he is 98% reason why I watch male tennis.

saff76ar
07-31-2002, 06:45 PM
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=5979&bannerregion=

Kuerten Retires After One Set Against Pavel
By Richard Pagliaro
07/30/2002

A recurrence of pain in his surgically repaired right hip sent Gustavo Kuerten to an early retirement today. Defending champion Andrei Pavel led Kuerten 7-5 when the three-time French Open champion retired from the first round match of the Tennis Masters Series-Canada tournament in Toronto.

"Since I've started to play on hard courts, it (the hip) is still bothering me a little bit," Kuerten said. "It's a little bit tough for me to play too many matches in a row and practice and not take too much risk."

The former top-ranked Kuerten reached the quarterfinals of the Mercedes-Benz Cup in Los Angeles last week where he fell to eventual-champion Andre Agassi. It was Kuerten's first hard-court tournament since he underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right hip in February.

In the aftermath of today's retirement, Kuerten suggested he will spend the rest of the season playing periodically while concentrating on improving his condition.

"This year, I will try to improve my game and get my physical condition back," Kuerten said. "I've got to be patient. I still have to fight against this (his hip injury). I want to come back strong for next year and go for it."

the cat
07-31-2002, 08:30 PM
Men's tennis needs Kuerten to shine again! He is so physically
fragile that you have to worry about his future! :( He should take it slow the rest of the year. And basically concentrate on the grand slams the rest of his career. No more 20 plus tournamnets for Guga! Twelve to fifteen would be just right. Right?

Dissident
08-01-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Poe
omg when this thread is at the top all you see on the main page is "Guga explains why he retired....."
Sorry for the scare... :p
Anyway, I posted a translation to an article that was on todays paper here. :) Its on Gugas forum.
It looks a little better from there. :wavey: