Movies [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Movies

star
09-15-2003, 02:15 AM
I just saw Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

The whole thing would have just been an exercise in beautiful photography and movement had it not been for Johnny Depp, who, imo, made the whole movie terrific.

Antonio Banderas moved beautifully, but he really didn't have much else to do except give brooding looks.

Selma Hayek has a really nice waist.

I like Ruben Blades and Cheech Marin too.

Darkheart
09-17-2003, 06:18 PM
I'm not going to watch that film. No interest for me.

I'm waiting for "Kill Bill" (both parts 1 and 2) and "Mystic River" (directed by Clint Eastwood).

Ada Monroe
09-19-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm not going to watch that film. No interest for me.

I'm waiting for "Kill Bill" (both parts 1 and 2) and "Mystic River" (directed by Clint Eastwood).
I'm reading Mystic River now. It's an excellent book.

Guys, lookout for COLD MOUNTAIN too. This is going to be THE cinematic experience of 2003. I can guarantee you that.

sam
09-19-2003, 04:37 PM
I saw Pirates of the Carribean a few weks ago. It was WAY too long, but otherwise pretty good.
I can't wait till the new Disney/ Pixar film comes out, Finding Neimo. I hope it's as good as Monsters Inc.

star
09-21-2003, 05:25 PM
I agree. Way to long. Those fight scenes went on beyond anything.

I also want to see Kill Bill.

Cold Mountain was a good book. I'm not sure about the casting for the movie. Kidman leaves me cold. And Zellweger...

I'm not sold on Clint Eastwood as a director, but I'm keeping an open mind.

star
09-21-2003, 05:26 PM
On DVD recently, I saw Ararat. I really enjoyed it, especially the directors comments. They weren't the same old comments that dwell on the movie making, but rather he was exploring the psychological underpinnings of the movie.

Ads
09-21-2003, 05:45 PM
cold mountain has a great cast besides kidman and zellweger
it's got:
jude law (the sexiest actor alive)
philip seymour hoffman (he's great in every movie he does)
donald sutherland
natalie portman (she's supposedly finally showing her acting talent, none of that star wars crap)
charlie hunnam (possibly the new cedric diggory)
jena malone (she's going to be a big star)
jack white!!!!
giovanni ribisi
probably one of the best ensemble cast of all the new movies (love actually, and sharkslayer's got a kick ass ensemble)

speaking of giovanni ribisi, i just saw "Lost in Translation" yesterday, and it was the best movie i've seen all year, everything about the movie was perfect

star
09-21-2003, 06:29 PM
I've read good reviews of that movie. Unfortunately, it will probably never come here and I will have to wait for the DVD.

Ads
09-22-2003, 05:34 AM
if you ever do get the chance to see it, i highly recommend it.

sam
09-25-2003, 04:27 PM
I can't wait to see the new Disney/Pixar film Finding Nemo; has anyone seen it??

Darkheart
10-13-2003, 01:27 AM
I'll just repeat what I already posted on WTAworld:

I finally saw "Kill Bill" today.

It was very good. It's very different from Quentin Tarantino's other films.

The violence is not as bad as I first heard. Most of the violence was kind of "cartoonish" so it's not as shocking. I thought the violence was a little over-the-top, but that might be done on purpose.

The censors DID make Tarantino tone down the violence a little by getting him to change a certain fight sequence from color to black & white in order to get an R rating instead of NC-17. When the DVD comes out, that sequence might be shown in color, like it was intended.

There are many references to other Asian films. Some are obvious and some are subtle. There are even some scenes that are "borrowed" from other Tarantino films.

The Uma-Lucy showdown was a little too short. It could have been longer with more sword-play. Go Go (the schoolgirl with the chained ball) was very cool.

Overall, it was a very good film. It's better than most of today's films.

I can't wait for volume 2. Bill will finally be shown, and he will be one bad-ass mofo with a sword.

star
10-13-2003, 06:43 AM
hmmmmmm.

thanks for the recap. I'm not that fond of the Asian fight movie genre. Unless you tell me there is snappy dialogue, I might skip it.

I saw intolerable cruelty this weekend.. should have capped that title, but I'm sleepy. :)

Good dialogue. The legal stuff was hilarious. I don't generally like either Clooney or CZJ, but they were good in this movie. ... Particularly Clooney. He was very light and comedicaly adept. His side kick was really funny.

Oh yeah, and I saw matchstick men. I'm a fan of that guy... but now I can't remember his name... he was in Dangerous Minds too. He was really good. Cage was Cage. The girl was good.

Ads
10-13-2003, 04:52 PM
i love sam rockwell!
http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/miramax_films/confessions_of_a_dangerous_mind/sam_rockwell/confessions.jpg

esther
10-15-2003, 07:17 AM
I can't wait to see the new Disney/Pixar film Finding Nemo; has anyone seen it??

finding nemo is VERY VERY cute.

trixy
10-15-2003, 09:06 AM
Ohh i loved finding nemo and pirates!!!m cept pirates was a bit 2 long.

Legally Blonde2 was really crap tho..the same jokes over again.

Darkheart
10-16-2003, 03:16 AM
I just watched "Mystic River" today. It was very good.

It was very well made. The drama was good. The acting was good, especially Sean Penn. The plot was adapted from a book and it was done well, and it's more complex than you think (if you haven't read the book like me).

This film may get some Oscar nominations.

star
10-16-2003, 05:19 AM
I saw the trailer for it. I love all those actors. It's good to see Kevin Bacon finally get a good role in a good movie. Tim Robbins is so good and underrated, and Sean Penn is well..... Sean Penn.

Ada Monroe
10-16-2003, 06:38 AM
COLD MOUNTAIN Trailers out:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/coldmountain.html

Tell me what you think guys...

The 'theatrical trailer' is much better than the 'teaser trailer'. The film will more like the 'theatrical trailer'.

Darkheart
10-17-2003, 01:03 AM
I knew about "Cold Mountain" a long time ago. I was never interested. Nothing against it, I'm not into civil war dramas, that's all.

Ada Monroe
10-17-2003, 01:18 AM
I knew about "Cold Mountain" a long time ago. I was never interested. Nothing against it, I'm not into civil war dramas, that's all.
It's not JUST a civil war drama. It's romance/drama/history/action/character study all combined.

Ads
10-17-2003, 02:17 AM
wow that trailer is bad, did anyone else laugh at nicole kidman's accent?

but eh, i'll probably still see it

Ada Monroe
10-17-2003, 03:22 AM
wow that trailer is bad, did anyone else laugh at nicole kidman's accent?

but eh, i'll probably still see it
No. The problem is Nicole portrays an upper class Charleston lady from the 1860's. She was in North Carolina for most of the story but her character is originally from Charleston. I have spoken to some Charlestonians about this accent and they told me that their grandmothers sound exactly like her. Very airy and light.

For one thing though, this isn't typical Southern and it's NOT meant to be.

Ads
10-17-2003, 04:13 AM
it sounds forced

star
10-20-2003, 01:16 AM
It's not JUST a civil war drama. It's romance/drama/history/action/character study all combined.

Sam. Is that you?

star
10-20-2003, 01:17 AM
I like history. I like Civil War History. But I don't like Nicole Kidman and I really don't like Rene Zelleweger. So, please please please... don't ram this movie down my throat any more.

rogicomel
10-30-2003, 04:24 AM
I just watched Matrix - Reloaded on DVD. Couldn't catch it on cinemas due to my workloads for the past few months. Now, I can't wait for the final edition.

star
10-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Yeah. I'm excited about that one too. Of course, the first one was the best. Those fight scenes in the second one went on way too long. I liked the dialogue in the first one.

There is no spoon. :)

oren987
11-05-2003, 11:52 PM
just watched Matrix - "Revolutions" in cinema. Well, it was better then "Reloaded" but still not good as the first one.
The war was amazing, but the story.... :rolleyes: I didnt understand most of it. - But still it was nice :D

decemberlove
11-07-2003, 04:53 AM
im so excited for 21 grams :)

star
11-09-2003, 02:08 AM
I want to see that too.

I haven't posted here for awhile. I've now seen Mystic River, Girl from Paris, Lost in Translation, In This World, and Veronica Guerin. I guess I liked Veronica Guerin the best of all of these, but all were good in their own way. Probably I was swayed about VG because of the music, but the story was also about a real life complicated person. I don't usually care for Cate Blanchard, but she was wonderful in this part. Nice teensy cameo from Colin Farrell. I thought all the actors were good. Maybe the weakest was Guerin's husband.

Mystic River's plot was a little too contrived to make it really great. I did like the actors.

Lost in Translation was also nice, but I guess I might have been expecting too much after all the good press that it has gotten. Beautiful girl though.

In This World was very gritty. It was refreshing after having seen some very slick films to see this pseudo-documentary.

Girl from Paris didn't have much substance, but nice scenery. A bit different than most French movies. It was refreshing to see modern day country life.

Leo
11-24-2003, 04:36 PM
Earlier this year I saw some really shitty movies like "Bringing Down the House" (Ugh, Steve Martin and Queen Latifah can do MUCH better), "Anger Management", etc. But recently I've seen some really great movies like "Seabiscuit", "Finding Nemo" (not just a movie for little kids - it's hilarious and I already own it on DVD :D), and "School of Rock" (also very cute and features a GREAT soundtrack). I wanted to see that new Denzel Washington movie but I think its out of theatres already. I'll probably see "Masters and Commander" tonight.

hythger
11-27-2003, 10:10 PM
I saw Matrix"Revolutions" and I think it was the worst of the 3! Fot the 1st is still the best!
Also saw Pirates and I thought it was really cool.. a bit long but I enjoyed it!
Also saw Love Actually with Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, EmmaThompson, Alan Rickman, Keira Knightley and of course a portuguese actress called Lucia Moniz and she was really good!

Leo
11-28-2003, 05:31 AM
I really want to see Love Actually. A great British cast. :)

trixy
11-28-2003, 05:49 AM
I finally caved into pressure and watched the last of the matrix trilogy and was soo dissapointed!! It was better than reloaded but ive officially decided i hate sequels because most of them are just aimed at raking in money and ruin the original story.

I really want to see mona lisa smile over the holidays and i cant wait wait till the next harry potter movie comes out even tho i dont really like the harry potter movies that much because they ruin the book and are also just aimed at making money and dont do justice to the amazing books.

Ads
11-28-2003, 06:04 AM
the teaser trailer for harry potter looks great. i love gary oldman and he looks great as sirius black. it looks darker than the other ones which is better i think because the movie matures with the characters. i can't wait for it and how emma thompson will play professor trelawney cause i never expected her to play the part
http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/web/dailyprophet/article.jsp?id=POA_teaser_trailer

trixy
11-28-2003, 06:24 AM
the teaser trailer actually does look really good. The movies seem to be getting better as they go along and the new dumbledore looks exactly like the old one u cant even tell!! but ill always remember and hold a deep resentment for this new guy in my heart :p

Leo
11-28-2003, 06:49 AM
It does look good. But Harry and all the youngins are starting too look so old! Too old, I'd say, for third years. Oh, and I looooove Maggie Smith. :hearts:

hythger
11-28-2003, 04:13 PM
I don't think the cast is getting old..they're practically the same age as the caracters! I think they're just fine and it would be stupid to change them!

Leo
11-28-2003, 06:27 PM
I don't think the cast is getting old..they're practically the same age as the caracters! I think they're just fine and it would be stupid to change them!

Yeah, but they look so much older than they did in the 2nd movie. Just think how old they'll look when the 7th movie rolls around.

Lucie
11-29-2003, 05:18 PM
i saw love actually last weekend and i loved it, it's got really bad reviews, but i thought it was really gd, but that might be because i loved the cast, especially andrew lincoln, and laura linney was great too :)
also, the shrek 2 trailer was out and it looks great, that's a kid film you just can't help loving :)

star
11-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Lord of the Rings!!

star
12-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Hey, I finally saw Pieces of April and I LOVED it. It's the best movie I've seen this year.

decemberlove
12-04-2003, 05:07 AM
21 grams...

intense. prolly the most intense movie ive ever seen. had chills and watery eyes several times through the film. go see this if its playing near you.

star
12-06-2003, 10:25 PM
I'm debating whether to go see The Last Samurai. Tom Cruise can be seriously irritating when he is overacting. And I'm a little worried from the clips I've seen. But on the bright side, I do like horses in movies, and this one seems to have a few. :)

Deboogle!.
12-06-2003, 10:27 PM
I heard a really good review of it from a friend.... he told me the entire plot over brunch and couldn't stop gushing about how great it was.

thanks for the heads up on Pieces of April, star... I'd heard good things about it but I'll have to check that out.

Oh and we rented "A View from the Top" last night with Mike Myers and Gwyneth Paltrow, Christina Applegate, Kelly Preston, and Candice Bergen in it... we all LOVED It. we were expecting it to be stupid comedy (a la Austin Powers, which I love, but yea) but it was really cute. Highly recommended if you're looking for a fun short comedy.