++ David in Lyon Cheering Thread ++ [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

++ David in Lyon Cheering Thread ++

adelaide
10-24-2005, 11:36 PM
:banana: for David getting a messageboard.

Anyway, David's in Lyon this week and he's playing a qualifier, Marc Gicquel of France.

Here's the full draw:

(1) RODDICK, Andy USA v. (WC) ASCIONE, Thierry FRA
(Q) MAHUT, Nicolas FRA v. (WC) BENNETEAU, Julien FRA
(Q) CARRAZ, Gregory FRA v. (Q) ENQVIST, Thomas SWE
BLAKE, James USA v. (7) ANCIC, Mario CRO

(4) LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO v. SPADEA, Vincent USA
MALISSE, Xavier BEL v. (WC) LLODRA, Michael FRA
SANTORO, Fabrice FRA v. DENT, Taylor USA
MATHIEU, Paul-Henri FRA v. (8) GINEPRI, Robby USA

(6) FERRER, David ESP v. (Q) GICQUEL, Marc FRA
SANGUINETTI, Davide ITA v. LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP
MONFILS, Gael FRA v. HERNYCH, Jan CZE
CLEMENT, Arnaud FRA v. (3) GAUDIO, Gaston ARG

(5) ROBREDO, Tommy ESP v. LAPENTTI, Nicolas ECU
GROSJEAN, Sebastien FRA v. HANESCU, Victor ROM
DJOKOVIC, Novak SCG v. MELLO, Ricardo BRA
ROCHUS, Olivier BEL v. (2) PUERTA, Mariano ARG

:bounce:

Fergie
10-25-2005, 03:40 AM
David has a good draw ... Vamos!!! :bounce:

LaTenista
10-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Allez David (a little cheering in French as he's in France through the rest of the season)!

Please be in form and serve well - you are one of the best returners on tour. :yeah:

~EMiLiTA~
10-25-2005, 12:45 PM
allez David!! je veux que tu gagnes ce tournoi!!!

Galaxystorm
10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Please be in form and serve well - you are one of the best returners on tour. :yeah:

Claycourters, that is the players who play the most part of their matches on clay during a season have always more chances to be at the top of returners stats.

This is the ranking about % of points won returning first serves in 2004 season.

1) Federer
2) Chela
3) Hewitt
4) Gaudio
5) Ferrer
6) Volandri
7) Cañas
7) Massu
9) Novak
10) Coria

Don't you notice nothing strange ?? If you realize 7 of the 10 players are claycourters ;) , and it's obvious that these 10 players weren't the best returners , i mean, everybody knows that to return on clay is much more easy than on fast-courts and due to this reason claycourters have very good stats returning, on the other hand the stats about serve is plenty of players who play mainly on fast courts , and it's also pretty obvious that it's much more easy to have good stats serving on fast-courts than on clay..

To sump up , Ferrer is just one of the best returners in the stats because of he makes south american clay tour, european clay tour after Wimbly etc, but he isn't really one of the best returners in the world at all .

All the stats have a context ;) , and we can't forget it.

*Ljubica*
10-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Good Luck David.

Fergie
10-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Davis lost 4-6 0-6 :sad:

~EMiLiTA~
10-25-2005, 02:05 PM
pero qué coño le ha pasado????

he must be injured...didn't he have an achilles problem in madrid?

:sad: :sad:

LaTenista
10-25-2005, 03:15 PM
I vote we stop with the cheering threads, I did one for Palermo and we all remember how that turned out. We must be cursing him.

A bagel :eek: Ouch, that hurts!

:lol: at Galaxystorm, like Fed is not a great returner. David is in the Top 10 of all the return stats, if they are completely useless then why does the ATP even bother? :confused:

:scratch: Can David even remember how to play on carpet? Paris last year was such a long time ago.

What's amazing is even with these shocking 1st round losses in the last month, mathmatically there is still a chance for him to qualify for Shanghai :shrug: The glass is half full, right?

~EMiLiTA~
10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
yeah...i really think his injury had something to do with this...i'm sorry but i just cannot imagine he would get bagelled by gicquel.

if there's still a mathematical possibility he can get to shanghai then there's still hope...he'd have to do bloody well in paris though wouldn't he? or maybe he can go to tmc as an alternate? that would still be something

LaTenista
10-25-2005, 06:52 PM
To qualify for Shanghai David must win Paris, Davydenko must lose 2nd round (he'll receive a 1st round bye), and everyone between Davydenko and Ferrer (excluding Safin, who's already guaranteed a place) in the race must not accumulate anymore points than 398 by the end of Paris. Tall order!

The interview from Madrid made it seem like his Achilles tendon problem wasn't a big deal...but then who knows, these players always seem to act as if they are 100% or on their deathbed :cuckoo:

adelaide
10-26-2005, 12:02 AM
:sad: what happened there?

The interview from Madrid made it seem like his Achilles tendon problem wasn't a big deal...but then who knows, these players always seem to act as if they are 100% or on their deathbed
That is so true. Regardless of how minor or major this injury may be, hopefully he'll recover soon. :)

LaTenista
10-26-2005, 12:15 AM
He had his right foot and leg up to about an inch or two above his ankle wrapped up at Madrid. During the Puerta match at Madrid he had the trainer come out, remove it and then put on a fresh wrap. In the interview, David said he was feeling some twinges of pain in his Achilles tendon in Stockholm and had taken some pills for it but then he stated 'it was not a problem' which led me to believe the wrap was just a precaution but who knows. :shrug: Maybe he's afraid it could get worse so perhaps he's not chasing down every ball.

This 1st round is very :sad: since he reached the SFs last year, when the event was held a few weeks earlier in the season.

Eléa
11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
can i explain a bit what happen to David in Lyon?
He was the victim of a crazy line caller! at the begining of the second set, 1 ball of Gicquel was out from at least 20 centimeters, maybe more but the line caller said it was it. All the crowd saw that ball out but the umpire didn't see it so he diidn't chnage the decision. David became crazy (but i understand him!) and broke his raquet on the floor, then add a hit on the umpire chair.. He received a warning, then he took another raquet and hit it again... I was sad to see him in that state of nerve. I have some crappy pics of this match.. i can post it even if the quality is really bad... :rolleyes:

LaTenista
11-04-2005, 01:42 AM
can i explain a bit what happen to David in Lyon?
He was the victim of a crazy line caller! at the begining of the second set, 1 ball of Gicquel was out from at least 20 centimeters, maybe more but the line caller said it was it. All the crowd saw that ball out but the umpire didn't see it so he diidn't chnage the decision. David became crazy (but i understand him!) and broke his raquet on the floor, then add a hit on the umpire chair.. He received a warning, then he took another raquet and hit it again... I was sad to see him in that state of nerve. I have some crappy pics of this match.. i can post it even if the quality is really bad... :rolleyes:

Thanks for this report. Yes, please do post your pics.

I've never seen David actually break a racquet, I've seen him throw his racquet on the ground and up in the air, but never broke it. Was there only 1 bad line call? Because I can't understand how he'd let 1 call against him cause him to roll over and be fed a bagel :tape:.

David had better watch himself. Kicking the match clock, now hitting the umpire's chair with his racquets. If he's not careful he'll get a suspension like Malisse.

David's coach is "Javi" (Javier Piles). Did you speak to him in English, Spanish or French?

Eléa
11-04-2005, 12:46 PM
David's coach is "Javi" (Javier Piles). Did you speak to him in English, Spanish or French?
In english.. don't tell me he speaks french! :lol: He didn't know i'm french and we started to talk in english so :rolleyes:
He asked me if i was from Argentina because i'm a big fan of Gaston :lol: i never told him i was a GG fan but i guess it's obvious :o

LaTenista
11-04-2005, 11:50 PM
In english.. don't tell me he speaks french! :lol: He didn't know i'm french and we started to talk in english so :rolleyes:
He asked me if i was from Argentina because i'm a big fan of Gaston :lol: i never told him i was a GG fan but i guess it's obvious :o

I don't know for sure, but Toni Nadal speaks French and German so I thought perhaps Javier Piles might speak it.

I was too shy to talk to either David or his coach in Cincinnati. :tape: