2005 Losses: Tie Break Hell [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2005 Losses: Tie Break Hell

Winston's Human
10-20-2005, 04:30 PM
After yesterday's loss to Ivo, I wondered why Team Roddick does not develop some game plan for handling tiebreaks since it seemed to me that Andy's losses have all come from playing miserable tiebreaks.

When I went to the records to look at this year's losses, I noticed that in his thirteen losses, Andy has played 15 tiebreaks and lost 13 of them.

Can anything be done?

Deboogle!.
10-20-2005, 04:36 PM
I think it all goes back to confidence. If he has confidence and plays his game in those points, he'll come through ok but lately he's been rushing, pushing, pressing, forcing the issue, etc, and it's causing him to err at those points instead of come up with some of his best stuff. I still think it all comes down to confidence.

Then he plays a TB like he did against Rochus in DC where he hit 5 aces in a row in the TB. Go figure.

but I don't think you can really come up with a 'game plan' for TBs, per se, you can't really simulate the pressure situation... but if he's confident and like I said, playing his game, that's what it will take I think.

tangerine_dream
10-20-2005, 04:39 PM
The problem with TBs is that you can't really practice for them, can you?

Deboogle!.
10-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Nope you can't, but they can talk about it and say "if it's late in a TB and you're serving and are a little tight, do the wide kick serve to set up a forehand - bread and butter stuff" or something like that. I mean there can be a gameplan even though they can't "practice" it per se.

Fumus
10-20-2005, 04:54 PM
You can't practice for a TB but, I know as a tennis player that you have a couple great plays that you run in those big situations that never fail. Like a kick serve out wide than an inside out forehand winner to the open court, or slice serve down the middle and a volley cross court etc.

Andy has alot more options for plays than he ever has had before. He has alot of variety now as opposed to 03', he can serve and volley, hit some backhand winners, and even his variety of serves have changed.

It goes back to what I was saying in the other thread and that is, Andy was playing great at a good game, now he's only playing good at a great game.

What the heck does that mean?

It means Andy has to play great and have a great game at the same time. He needs to find a few great plays that no one can beat and use them in the tbs. I know Federer has a few that he always uses to setup his forehand, and he's sooo confident in those plays and his forehand he believes if he excutes, he won't lose that point.

Andy just needs to find confidence in his new game/go to shots and go to them. That's why alot of top players after winning their first major have a slump for alittle while because they are developing their game. It's hard being confident in new shots but, you just have to keep playing.

Andy will be there soon! I Know it.

Winston's Human
10-20-2005, 05:06 PM
I guess we can take some solace that Andy and James won their first set tiebreak, and then went on to victory.

blosson
10-20-2005, 06:00 PM
I also think Andy has lost serve in very crucial times, like on set / match point quite a few times this year. It's almost unforgivable when he loses the set or match when serving for it. Just bad.

superpinkone37
10-21-2005, 12:45 AM
TBs are a bitch. You can "practice" playing them, but not really...its just not the same. The hardest part about the tie break is the pressure, and you cannot practice that. All mental...

partygirl
10-21-2005, 01:28 AM
:tears: :tears: :bolt: :rain: :bigcry:

nkhera1
10-21-2005, 02:26 AM
Ideally he should own tie-breaks because of his big serve but he seems to get tensed up and do stupid things which is why he doesn't do well. Last year he was probably the 2nd best (only to Fed) in tiebreaks but he needs to gain some confidence and not put himself in a position to play so many tiebreakers in the first place.

Deboogle!.
10-21-2005, 02:29 AM
... not put himself in a position to play so many tiebreakers in the first place.This hits it on the head. Learn to break serve, Andy. Please.

And yea, he used to own in TBs... he's never had a TB record this bad since he came on tour, basically :sad:

Havok
10-21-2005, 02:32 AM
Confidence. Get it NOW.

renee_chin
10-21-2005, 03:16 AM
It's just not working out - those damn tiebreaks this year... He's just been letting too many of his serves slip-off - which I am pretty surprised at times. If you look at the receiving points won percentage during the set (in certain matches), it looked like he'd be winning the TB pretty easily, but NO! Up comes the UEs and DFs :o

It has gotta do with confidence, I suppose... Andy, in my opinion, after so many years on tour now, shouldn't have let little things get to him - bad calls, or letting an early lead slip away, or couldn't break after holding a couple of BPs - you have the chance to start again the next game, and grab it that time... There's just been too many mental lapses, which IMHO shouldn't be happening at this stage of his career. He should've been smarter with those situations by now, but it just keeps happening and it's frustrating...

athena_wu
10-21-2005, 05:52 AM
Confidence. When came to TB, he didn't have much confidence to win even though he could get a mini-break. Last year, last last year, this would never happen. :smash:

TB is always good for big servers, but not for Andy, the fastest serve speed owner. :awww: Why he don't have ACES in TB? :scratch: To win TBs depend on ACES, big serves and forehand, that's the way for Andy, I believe.

On the other hand, he should also improve the skills to avoid TB. When facing BP, it also needs his confidence.

So Andy, go back to last last year, don't forget your big weapon when improving other skills. :help:

MissFairy
10-21-2005, 07:54 PM
TBs are a bitch. You can "practice" playing them, but not really...its just not the same. The hardest part about the tie break is the pressure, and you cannot practice that. All mental...
And unluckily for him, his mental-state on court right now sucks real bad. Everytime he get into a tiebreak, i just get a bad feeling. His body language isn't confident, he second guesses himself and mucks up nearly every time. He must know his record and it's not helping.

He should win a majority of TB's with that serve and killer forehand. But no. And he should be able to break serve once a set being world number 3. But no. And he should learn to serve out a set again, because, well, he's a tour player. But NO.

Sigh.

robinhood
10-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Hope Roddick can regroup and play some good tennis before the season's over.
It's no fun watching tennis without 4 of the top 5 in the world.