The aviation/airtravel news and stories thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The aviation/airtravel news and stories thread

alfonsojose
09-01-2005, 09:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050901/od_nm/australia_plane_dc :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
09-01-2005, 09:43 PM
On monday, Barranquilla-Bogota, MD-80, Aerorepublica, the flight attendant told us the usual .. "not to use the bathroom while the belt signal is on". Guess who entered the bathroom when the plane was making an u turn just after departing :smash:

buddyholly
09-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Alfonso, I didn't think you cared about vCash!

buddyholly
09-02-2005, 12:44 AM
On monday, Barranquilla-Bogota, MD-80, Aerorepublica, the flight attendant told us the usual .. "not to use the bathroom while the belt signal is on". Guess who entered the bathroom when the plane was making an u turn just after departing :smash:

Actually, I'd guess alfonso, looking to join the mile-high club!

Haute
09-02-2005, 04:54 AM
I'm sure he's joined that club plenty of times by now. lol

alfonsojose
09-19-2005, 05:15 PM
www.airsafe.com :scared:

alfonsojose
09-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Alfonso, I didn't think you cared about vCash!
no vcash in non-tennis :p

alfonsojose
09-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Actually, I'd guess alfonso, looking to join the mile-high club!
no. It was the dumb flight attendant :smash:

Nikki♥
09-19-2005, 07:54 PM
www.airsafe.com :scared:

It's really scary to read about all the plane crashes on this website.

lilfairyprincess
09-20-2005, 01:15 AM
i hate reading about planecrashes..planes are scary enough-i shudnt read things like this :eek: :help:

Nikki♥
09-20-2005, 12:26 PM
i hate reading about planecrashes..planes are scary enough-i shudnt read things like this :eek: :help:

Me neither especially since it's not too long to go until I have to go on such a thingie again. :help:

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Me neither especially since it's not too long to go until I have to go on such a thingie again. :help:
You are more likely to get your throat slit by some nutcase than die on a plane, so i wouldnt worry about it too much. People are just too paranoid and over exagerate things, so dont listen to the few bad things that happen :eek:

Lee
09-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Flying on a plane is safer than driving to the airport here.

Nikki♥
09-20-2005, 06:42 PM
You are more likely to get your throat slit by some nutcase than die on a plane, so i wouldnt worry about it too much. People are just too paranoid and over exagerate things, so dont listen to the few bad things that happen :eek:

You are right, I'm not afraid of flying. Well, before I went on an airplane for the very first time I had the strangest feeling ever, obviously the fear and everything was for nothing. I has become better with every single flight that I went on but after seeing plane crashes in the news the strange feeling returns and doesn't go away until I'm back home again, all sound and safe.

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 07:03 PM
You are right, I'm not afraid of flying. Well, before I went on an airplane for the very first time I had the strangest feeling ever, obviously the fear and everything was for nothing. I has become better with every single flight that I went on but after seeing plane crashes in the news the strange feeling returns and doesn't go away until I'm back home again, all sound and safe.
Yeah, you always get the careful charlies :tape:

I dont understand why people are afraid of flying to be honest, its not like if you are scared of heights you have to look out the window and look down :lol: The way people drive in some countries, you would think people would be more scared of driving :D

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Flying on a plane is safer than driving to the airport here.
Probably the case anywhere :D

Nikki♥
09-20-2005, 07:06 PM

I dont understand why people are afraid of flying to be honest, its not like if you are scared of heights you have to look out the window and look down :lol: The way people drive in some countries, you would think people would be more scared of driving :D

Driving in Manhattan, Madrid and most Brazilian cities just to name a few examples is a lot scarier than flying, that's true.

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:09 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050901/od_nm/australia_plane_dc :rolleyes:

CANBERRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's where I live.

:lol:

Lee
09-20-2005, 07:11 PM
CANBERRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's where I live.

Well, you should be happy as Qantas still has the perfect record in safety, right?

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:14 PM

but each day there are thousands of flights all around the world everyday, and a crash only occurs once in every few million of these flights, and it tends to be the lighter plains that have difficulties more often - so if you avoid flying in small planes, the chance of crashing must be similar to that of winning the jackpot in the lottery.

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 07:14 PM
The scariest thing on a plane has to be when there's a storm and u can see the rays :speakles: :crying2:

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 07:16 PM
The scariest thing on a plane has to be when there's a storm and u can see the rays :speakles: :crying2:
The scariest thing is the pathetic leg room you get on most airlines! Hadnt flown for 5 years, and when i went to malta i thought wtf is this! You had to have midget legs to fit in there! Next time i fly, i am gonna pay for business class :lol: :cool:

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 07:20 PM
but each day there are thousands of flights all around the world everyday, and a crash only occurs once in every few million of these flights, and it tends to be the lighter plains that have difficulties more often - so if you avoid flying in small planes, the chance of crashing must be similar to that of winning the jackpot in the lottery.
Yeah, people should look at those facts instead of looking at the odd few crashes and wetting their pants over the few crashes that do happen. At least in the air, you dont have some 70 year old fool causing mayhem. Or some useless female driver in a four by four causing mayhem! My mum hates these women in four wheel drives, she says they are useless and a danger to the road :D And thats from a woman!!

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Well, you should be happy as Qantas still has the perfect record in safety, right?

I don't like Qantas, the people never seem to be that friendly, and they're more expensive than the other carriers because of that very claim to having "a perfect safey record". Although it was proven that during the war a Qantas plane crashed, for some reason that doesn't count :lol:.

When I went to China this year, I flew Cathay - the stewardesses weren't very nice to me, maybe it's coz I was 1 foot taller than them and they were scared of me :lol:, or maybe it was coz I kept asking for extra drinks and food. To Europe I flew Air France - they're cool, and the ladies are always much friendlier when I talk to them in french. But I have generally flown British Airways in the past - and they're good for providing sexy british accents :p.

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
The scariest thing is the pathetic leg room you get on most airlines! Hadnt flown for 5 years, and when i went to malta i thought wtf is this! You had to have midget legs to fit in there! Next time i fly, i am gonna pay for business class :lol: :cool:

tell me about it brother...

any person 6ft tall and upwards struggles to fit into these seats comfortably.

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 07:26 PM

I made sure i sat on the seat next to the aisle, so i could put my legs out. I mean for 3 hours, it was quite uncomfortable!! There is no way you could travel to usa or even australia with pathetic leg room only comfortable for some 5 foot dwarf. I hope they have a restriction for leg room for those longer flights. I mean this is 2005, not everyone is a dwarf about 5.5! Surely they should increase the leg room. Look at the huge amount of people over 6 feet :eek:

Lee
09-20-2005, 07:27 PM
I don't like Qantas, the people never seem to be that friendly, and they're more expensive than the other carriers because of that very claim to having "a perfect safey record". Although it was proven that during the war a Qantas plane crashed, for some reason that doesn't count :lol:.

Well, even you count that one, it's only 'one' accident. I used to have lots of horrifying stories about China Airline. Hopefully, it's a lot better these days.

When I went to China this year, I flew Cathay - the stewardesses weren't very nice to me, maybe it's coz I was 1 foot taller than them and they were scared of me :lol:, or maybe it was coz I kept asking for extra drinks and food.

Since my niece is on the Vancouver/Hong Kong route, so this won't be her ;) And I'm 100% sure because you keep asking for extra food and drinks :lol:

Lee
09-20-2005, 07:30 PM

:lol: if you're 6' or taller, you can't even walk straight along the aisle in most of the planes flying in US.

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 07:31 PM
:lol: if you're 6' or taller, you can't even walk straight along the aisle in most of the planes flying in US.
Also if you are on the aisle seat, you get pushed by people walking past!! I mean you cant keep your arms cramped up, like you were in a straight jacket. The air stewardesses just bash you as they pull stuff past too :mad: and stink you out with their disgusting perfume.

Lee
09-20-2005, 07:36 PM
:p wait until you need to fly anywhere with a kid. I'm petite but my son always takes up half my seat in addition to his and he only sits with me, not his dad. :rolleyes:

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, even you count that one, it's only 'one' accident. I used to have lots of horrifying stories about China Airline. Hopefully, it's a lot better these days.

Since my niece is on the Vancouver/Hong Kong route, so this won't be her ;) And I'm 100% sure because you keep asking for extra food and drinks :lol:

I expend a lot of energy as an athlete - I need more sustainance than the average person :shrug:, besides the fact that I'm also bigger than the average person.

Oh well, I got what I wanted anyway.

do you live in HK?

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 07:38 PM
i couldn't agree more :mad:

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:39 PM

I often had always had to walk sideways, otherwise I would bump into people.

And there are also parts of the plane where you can't stand up straight.

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Also if you are on the aisle seat, you get pushed by people walking past!! I mean you cant keep your arms cramped up, like you were in a straight jacket. The air stewardesses just bash you as they pull stuff past too :mad: and stink you out with their disgusting perfume.

I hate those trollies, they hurt your elbows.

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
:p wait until you need to fly anywhere with a kid. I'm petite but my son always takes up half my seat in addition to his and he only sits with me, not his dad. :rolleyes:

when you have kids, they will often give you those cool exit row seats :cool:

I was lucky enough to get them both ways this year.

:D

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM

I hate those trollies, they hurt your elbows.
I would never sleep on a plane, but i cant believe anyone is able to sleep on these planes :eek: :eek: I wouldnt think its physically possibly :help:

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 07:42 PM
And those toilets ... the idea of defecating while the plane crosses a turbulence :scared: :bolt:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
09-20-2005, 07:43 PM
:haha: :scared:

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:43 PM
And those toilets ... the idea of defecating while the plane crosses a turbulence :scared: :bolt:

Those little rooms are for something else Alfie ;)...

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 07:44 PM
I would never sleep on a plane, but i cant believe anyone is able to sleep on these planes :eek: :eek: I wouldnt think its physically possibly :help:
And i'll have to try on my Bogota - New York flight next month. Six and a half hours :rolleyes:

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Is it me, or is not as easy to piss whilst up in the air? :help: it took me about 3 minutes to squeeze it out lmao! Usually i take 20 seconds or something.

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Those little rooms are for something else Alfie ;)...
no way. If the guy is too big + you play bottom + turbulence... :eek: Sphincter damage. Can u imagine the embarrasment .. "i get hurt while being fucked in the toilet"

joeb_uk
09-20-2005, 07:47 PM
no way. If the guy is too big + you play bottom + turbulence... :eek: Sphincter damage. Can u imagine the embarrasment .. "i get hurt while being fucked in the toilet"
Oh god alfie, dont make me feel sick :help:

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Is it me, or is not as easy to piss whilst up in the air? :help: it took me about 3 minutes to squeeze it out lmao! Usually i take 20 seconds or something.
:lol: that's true

Lee
09-20-2005, 07:48 PM
do you live in HK?

Used to and grew up there. But now I'm melting under the Sonoran Desert sun in southwestern US of A. :cool:

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Used to and grew up there. But now I'm melting under the Sonoran Desert sun in southwestern US of A. :cool:

oh ok. I didn't really like the city all that much - it's just a shopping Mecca.

But Lantau island was :cool:.

Lee
09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
when you have kids, they will often give you those cool exit row seats :cool:

I was lucky enough to get them both ways this year.

Well, the planes that we flew are pretty small which seated about 80-90 people. There are 4 seats each row, 2 on each side. So it's always me and my son on one side and hubby on the other side. When he got lucky, he would sit with a beautiful woman. When his luck striked out, it's be a guy your size and smells :lol:

Lee
09-20-2005, 07:52 PM
oh ok. I didn't really like the city all that much - it's just a shopping Mecca.

But Lantau island was :cool:.

But it's spoiled by Disney now :sad:

Lee
09-20-2005, 07:54 PM
And i'll have to try on my Bogota - New York flight next month. Six and a half hours :rolleyes:

It's 14-15 hours between Hong Kong and Vancouver. :p

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
BTW, It seems finally they'll allow cell phone use while flying :)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050920/ap_on_hi_te/airlines_phone_technology

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 07:57 PM
It's 14-15 hours between Hong Kong and Vancouver. :p
:eek: :crying2: Is that the longest route? What about Sidney/London or Sidney/L.A. ?

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 07:58 PM
BTW, I could never fly on the Concorde :sad:

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Well, the planes that we flew are pretty small which seated about 80-90 people. There are 4 seats each row, 2 on each side. So it's always me and my son on one side and hubby on the other side. When he got lucky, he would sit with a beautiful woman. When his luck striked out, it's be a guy your size and smells :lol:

people over there seemed to love fans.

it wasnt even hot on the plane, but this stupid woman next to me kept fanning herself for ages - while I was trying to sleep.

bloody annoying :fiery:

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 08:00 PM
But it's spoiled by Disney now :sad:

yer, i could see it from the ferry

:sad:

has it opened yet?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
09-20-2005, 08:00 PM
I hate flying:help:

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 08:01 PM
:eek: :crying2: Is that the longest route? What about Sidney/London or Sidney/L.A. ?

Melbourne - London is around maybe 18 hours

with a stopover in Bangkok/Sinapore/KL/HK

ClaycourtaZzZz.
09-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Zurich-Manila:scared:

its.like.that
09-20-2005, 08:04 PM

man, f*ck that. I dont wanna hear stupid ringtones every 10 seconds when you're 10,000 feet up in the air. And there's nowhere you can go to hide from them.

:fiery:

Lee
09-20-2005, 08:06 PM

Yes, you can use your cell phone, go on-line with your laptop, play with any kind of electronic gadget :aplot: :angel: etc after the plane took off and before landing.

Lee
09-20-2005, 08:07 PM
yer, i could see it from the ferry

has it opened yet?

just last week and some responses are, it sucks. :p

Lee
09-20-2005, 08:09 PM

Don't know about Sidney/London, etc but from Hong Kong to Toronto (stop over in Vancouver) you add another 3-4 hours and from Hong Kong to New York (again stop over in Vancouver) you add another 5-6 hours.

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Yes, you can use your cell phone, go on-line with your laptop, play with any kind of electronic gadget :aplot: :angel: etc after the plane took off and before landing.
:scratch: i think not all electronic devices have the same restrictions. Cell phones are forbidden while doors are looked while laptops can be used after departing/before landing. And about the sexual toys ... :devil:

Lee
09-20-2005, 08:23 PM
:scratch: i think not all electronic devices have the same restrictions. Cell phones are forbidden while doors are looked while laptops can be used after departing/before landing. And about the sexual toys ... :devil:

I was thinking about game boys, etc. that kind of electronic gadgets :angel:

alfonsojose
09-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Did u mean i'm dirty :baby: ?

Lee
09-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Did u mean i'm dirty :baby: ?

:hug: you know I'll never say that to you.

Nikki♥
09-21-2005, 07:59 AM
The scariest thing is the pathetic leg room you get on most airlines!

I hate the leg room on most of the airlines because after a short while my legs start feeling like jelly. :scared:

Nikki♥
09-21-2005, 08:00 AM

I always ask for a window seat. :cool:

Nikki♥
09-21-2005, 08:01 AM

But when you fly for 13 hours or even more you have to try to sleep or else you will be too tired when you arrive.

joeb_uk
09-21-2005, 10:23 AM
But when you fly for 13 hours or even more you have to try to sleep or else you will be too tired when you arrive.
Well if you fly at 10am or something, then no you wont need to. But if you are flying at 4am or something maybe :D Too many factors stopping you on planes though!

ClaycourtaZzZz.
09-21-2005, 10:55 AM
I try to sleep, cause I hate flying:help:

joeb_uk
09-21-2005, 12:19 PM
You big girl :p

Nikki♥
09-21-2005, 12:54 PM

:awww: Poor Federer_Express, I thought you were a big boy with no fears at all.

joeb_uk
09-21-2005, 01:00 PM
:awww: Poor Federer_Express, I thought you were a big boy with no fears at all.
:D :lol:

Action Jackson
09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Flying, well I love all the drills they do at the start of a flight, the likelihood of surviving a plane crash isn't very high.

If I'm tired I'll sleep and if I can arrive late in a place, then it will be easier to go to sleep in theory. It doesn't bother me too much and I was fortunate in my long haul flights I haven't been stuck next to arse clowns, that can be good if there is a flight lasting 5 hours or more, last thing needed is a muppet next to you.

buddyholly
09-21-2005, 02:37 PM

Alfonso was also thinking of game boys!

He can't wait for the announcement that the plane has now reached ''cruising'' altitude.

Nikki♥
09-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Alfonso was also thinking of game boys!

The game boys he is into are also known as boy toys. Right, Fonsie? :aplot:

alfonsojose
09-21-2005, 04:10 PM
:devil: I want a hot chico now

Nikki♥
09-21-2005, 04:12 PM
:devil: I want a hot chico now

http://www.racegirl.nl/PourLaFemme/MaleModels/Images/BeachBoy1.jpg

Hot enough for you?

alfonsojose
09-21-2005, 06:13 PM
:drool: He can ride my Boeing 747 anytime :devil:

alfonsojose
09-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Flying, well I love all the drills they do at the start of a flight, the likelihood of surviving a plane crash isn't very high.

If I'm tired I'll sleep and if I can arrive late in a place, then it will be easier to go to sleep in theory. It doesn't bother me too much and I was fortunate in my long haul flights I haven't been stuck next to arse clowns, that can be good if there is a flight lasting 5 hours or more, last thing needed is a muppet next to you.
My sister sat next to a lady with her six months old baby. Big sis tried to be nice and made gestures to the baby :wavey: :D . The creature went mad and started to :bigcry: and :shout: like :crazy: The lady was :fiery: :tape:

Nikki♥
09-21-2005, 06:23 PM
:drool: He can ride my Boeing 747 anytime :devil:

I knew you would like him.

alfonsojose
09-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I knew you would like him.
thanks :hug: Who is he? Don't tell me it's your boyfriend or a fellow model at your job 'coz .. :mad: :fiery: *green of envy* ;)

Nikki♥
09-21-2005, 06:35 PM
thanks :hug: Who is he? Don't tell me it's your boyfriend or a fellow model at your job 'coz .. :mad: :fiery: *green of envy* ;)

A random guy from a website. Unfortunately I don't know him personally.

alfonsojose
09-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Did anyone see the JetBlue incident at L.A. :scared: ? thank God everybody was ok :spit:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
09-22-2005, 02:00 PM
I saw it:scared:

alfonsojose
09-22-2005, 02:18 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050921/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/peru_gambia_plane

jet fakes emergency for Gambia soccer game :rolleyes: :smash:

buddyholly
09-22-2005, 02:54 PM
http://www.racegirl.nl/PourLaFemme/MaleModels/Images/BeachBoy1.jpg

Hot enough for you?

How did you get my picture?

buddyholly
09-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Did anyone see the JetBlue incident at L.A. :scared: ? thank God everybody was ok :spit:

I believe some Gambian on the flight discovered he had left his mojo in his LA hotel room and didn't want to go home without it.

buddyholly
09-22-2005, 02:58 PM

So? They won, didn't they?

Lee
09-22-2005, 06:09 PM

These is soooooooo stupid! :mad:

alfonsojose
09-22-2005, 06:19 PM
How did you get my picture?
:eek: i missed that episode of Nip/Tuck. Buddy's surgery :lol:

alfonsojose
09-29-2005, 05:08 PM
:eek: :tape: Attendants Fume over "Flightplan"
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/eo/20050928/112796274000.html

Lee
09-29-2005, 06:19 PM
:eek: :tape: Attendants Fume over "Flightplan"
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/eo/20050928/112796274000.html

Those union people need to get a life :rolleyes:

RonE
10-18-2005, 01:48 PM
For all you aviation buffs out there. Tell us about which airlines, airports you like/dislike, share experiences, write travel reports.

I'll start with a recent experience I had:
==============================

I recently went to the U.S. for a vacation and flew from Zurich to Washington. I flew with British Airways so I had to make a connection in London Heathrow (or Deathrow as I call it :tape: ).

The flight to London was fine, it arrived earlier than scheduled. The problem was that Heathrow being one of the busiest airports in the world was jammed up and it took us over half an hour after landing to taxi to our terminal.

Finally, there was no space available at the terminal to park so the pilot took us to the most remote area of the airport and parked there where we were told buses would shortly come to take us to the terminal.

We had to wait on board for about another 20 minutes before the buses arrived and then it was another 15 minute ride to the terminal.

In short, time was rapidly dwindling and at this point I was starting to get nervous about wether I would make my connecting flight to Washington Dulles.

At the terminal of course I had to go through security even through security which shaved another 40 minutes or so. By then it was really getting tight- I had about 15 minutes until my flight would start boarding.

And of course, my gate was at the other end of the terminal. If any of you have been to terminal 4 in Heathrow you will know why that is bad news- the corridor stretches on and on and on.....

I ran like a man posseessed and barely made it to the gate just as they started boarding the plane.

But the fun did not stop there- the flight to Washington was fine, it left on schedule and after caught my breathe and settled down I thought thaat my debacles were over for the day.... how wrong I was!

Upon arrival in Washington Dulles after immigration I was waiting by the luggage carousel for my bags... and waited and waited and waited....

I started thinking my luggage may not have made it until the porter took aside the last few remaining bags- my bag was there, apparently it was one of the last to be offloaded.

When I cleared customs I realized it took me quite a long time so I wanted to call the people who were coming to pick me up to tell them I was delayed and they shouldn't worry.

I went over to the payphones and I only had 2 quarters so I decided to save them and try to use my credit card to make the call. I stuck my card into one of the phones and I couldn't get a line. I hung up and tried to retract my card... but it was stuck!

By this point I was wondering if someone up there was watching this ludicrous Shakespearean tragedy and laughing their heads off. In retrospect I probably would have also laughed ;)

Anyway, I went to the help desk and told the clerk about my problem. He looked half asleep to begin with and he slowly plucked himself out of his chair and came over to the phone where this other guy was standing there trying to make a call from the phone. The guy asks me "is this your credit card". I told him, yes it is stuck inside and I tried to get it out but couldn't. So he has the nerve to ask me if I wouldn't mind if he made a call seeing as it was inside anyway :fiery: I will not repeat the exact words I told him but it was something along the lines of "go look fro your friends" :angel:

The man from the help desk then started punching in numbers on the phone next to the problematic booth and finally he hands me the receiver and tells me to talk to the service provider. eanwhile he went back to his chair to continue his nap. In the meanwhile, I listened to a a recorded message proclaiming that "to leave a message please press #" and "if you wish to wait for the operator please press *". Before I could do either the message then said "thank you for calling and goodbye" after which the line went dead.

I then had to go back to the help desk and with a bit more urgency this time proceeded to tell the clerk what had happened and if he would be so kind as to assist me further. Again with a disdained and pained look the man got himself out of his chair with a look on his face that could cause milk to sour. He went to the same booth, punched in a series of numbers and again handed me the receiver telling me- the oprator should be able to help you.

I talk to the operator who asks me if I am trying to call collect and if so, what card should I charge my call to. I patiently explained what my situation was and asked if they could bring in a repairman or a representative of the phone company to come and help me get my credit card out. To which he replied "oh I am sorry, you will have to call the service provider only they can help" :rolleyes:

I proceeded to tell him that I did try calling the service provder and to no avail was unable to talk to anyone. "sorry, I cannot help you" was the response that ensued and so our brief conversation came to an end.

By this stage I was more than a little ticked off and I went over to the clerk asking him if he had plyers or a screwdriver I could use to yank the card out. "Oh that's a brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that?" responded the clerk :banghead: e then offered to call airport maintenance to see if they could get him something while I proceeded to go to every counter in the area asking the people there if they had any such instruments I could borrow. Alas, I came away empty handed.

Upon my return the clerk tells me that he had contacted the maintenance ward and they had one of their engineers working in the building adjacent to the arrival hall, but he doesn't know when he will be able to come and help as he has some other things he needs to take care of.

I asked him how long he thought it would take. The clerk looked at his watch and said "well, it is now 7:30, let's hope he comes by 9:00 since that is when we close".

With an air of defeat I threw my hands up, went over to the pay phones, picked the good payhpone and used my 2 quarters to call up the people coming to get me and tell them about my woes. Following this, I proceeded to think about how I would have to cancel my credit card and other dark gloomy thoughts when suddenly this big fat man with curly red hair comes up and says "does someone here have a problem with a credit card?" I emphatically responded affirmatively to his question and holding a pair of plyers he proceeded to effortlessly yank my card out with one fell swoop. I was standing there, holding the card in my hand trying to come to terms with why I had to go through all that for something so simple.

I then proceeded to go up the ramp leading to a curb where arriving passengers can be picked up. The trouble was that there were about 30 such curbs one next to the other and I had no idea where my freinds were waiting for me. I was on the very first curb so I proceeded to go down checking all the other curbs. When I was near the very last curb on the opposite side I heard a PA announcement telling me to go back to where the help desk was, which meant that I had to fumble my way back through all the curbs again :fiery:

I finally met my freinds who were waiting for me next to the help desk where they asked the clerk if he knew of a guy who had his credit card stuck in a payhpone to which the clerk told them "yes, we know him".

Mrs. B
10-18-2005, 02:00 PM
aww, Ron. what a hassling trip. :hug:

i'll share mine another time.

cobalt60
10-18-2005, 02:07 PM
:hug: :hug: I hope the actual visit was a lot better. I can not top that story!

RonE
10-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Kudos to you guys for having the patience to read all that ;)

And like I said in the opening post, it doesn't have to be a story- could be anything you like related to aviation- from the hydrolaulics of a 737 to which airline is your favourite to whatever. :D

cobalt60
10-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Ok here goes. I am an ex-Naval military officer with a deep down fear of heights. As part of a boot camp process- I had to rappel down a mountain( screaming the entire time) and build a rope bridge over a ravine(screaming the entire time).But to top it all off and by this time everyone knew of my fear-I took a ride in a MedaVac helicopter( the big ones like in MASH ) that so happens to be able to fly at 90 degree angles. God love that pilot who proceeded to leave the door open and turn the helicopter on its side to give me a view of all that awaited me below. You couldn't hear my screams over the copter's engines. I died that day. But you know what- it sure helped my fear ;) The biggest kick was that enlisted folk were in charge of us. They loved getting my goat as often as they could. Overall I had a great time and keep in touch with a lot of people I met there to this day. :D

joske
10-18-2005, 02:37 PM
naval military officer eh? mmmmmmm I love men in uniform :drool: :lol:

well the first thing I thought of when seeing this thread title was the A380 (Airbus)... what an awesome airplane! I hope I'll travel in it one day... *fingers crossed* :D

cobalt60
10-18-2005, 02:46 PM

well the first thing I thought of when seeing this thread title was the A380 (Airbus)... what an awesome airplane! I hope I'll travel in it one day... *fingers crossed* :D
:lol: Well I am a woman! So I know that changes your outlook just a wee bit huh ;) :smooch:

joske
10-18-2005, 02:58 PM
OH MY GOD I'M SO SORRY! :o :o :o :haha:

well maybe I should've known.. I get along so much better with women ;)

gosh that's like the 20th time I insult (or compliment however you look at it hehe) someone like this :rolleyes: I think there should be a male or female symbol next to each name or sth.. that'd help a lot in avoiding awkward situations like this :)

:secret: besides.. women in uniform can be sexy too I guess.. but do keep it quiet.. or it'll ruin my reputation of being 100% gay ;)

RonE
10-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Ok here goes. I am an ex-Naval military officer with a deep down fear of heights. As part of a boot camp process- I had to rappel down a mountain( screaming the entire time) and build a rope bridge over a ravine(screaming the entire time).But to top it all off and by this time everyone knew of my fear-I took a ride in a MedaVac helicopter( the big ones like in MASH ) that so happens to be able to fly at 90 degree angles. God love that pilot who proceeded to leave the door open and turn the helicopter on its side to give me a view of all that awaited me below. You couldn't hear my screams over the copter's engines. I died that day. But you know what- it sure helped my fear ;) The biggest kick was that enlisted folk were in charge of us. They loved getting my goat as often as they could. Overall I had a great time and keep in touch with a lot of people I met there to this day. :D

:eek:

Must have been an awesome experience. My boot camp experiences were nothing like that but then again I wasn't in the Navy or Air Force.

Yes, they should launch that thing out of Cape Canaveral!

I have flown just about every modern commercial jet- 707, 727, all 737 variants, all 747 variants, 757-200, 767-200, 767-300, 777-200 A-300, A-310, A319, A-320, A-321, A-330, A-340, L-1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-80, MD-11.

It would be great to add the A-380 to that list :D

Nikki♥
10-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Well, I have been to so many airports already. The one I like the most is the one in my hometown of Frankfurt because I know it by heart already. I know the 2 terminals, have eaten at all of the restaurants already, have been to all the shops.

Another airport I like is the one in Atlanta. I like the shops and not just because I can buy Beanie Babies in bulk there. The restaurants are cool too and at the café they have the best muffins that I have ever eaten. It also has nice areas with sofas for the passengers to sit down and chill while waiting for their flights. At other airports they have them too but not as many as in Atlanta. There it's really not too hard to find a spare sofa to sit down on.
The ground transportation is also great there because the trains to Downtown Atlanta depart directly from the airport railway station which is rather hard to miss, you just have to follow the signs. :lol:

Another airport I like is the one in Pittsburgh because you don't have to take a shuttle bus to get to your rental car, you just have to leave the airport building, cross the street and can pick up your rental car at the airport garage. :yeah: And as far as I remember has the airport a huge Beanie Baby shop where they have nothing but Beanie Babies. Could be possible that I'm mistaking it with another airport though. If so, then it's my bad.

In New York I like the JFK airport best, the Newark airport isn't all that bad but I don't like the cities that surround the airport, they are totally polluted and definitely not the place to be. JFK is a lot nicer, cleaner and bigger too. I like big airports.

São Paulo-Guarulhos is nice because it's easy to walk from one terminal to the other one by foot (they have 2 there) because sometimes you arrive in one terminal and find out that your connecting flight is scheduled to depart from the other one. The city can be easily reached by bus and the bus tickets aren't even that expensive.

joske
10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
that's a lot of airports princesa :) and these are only the ones you liked best..!

alfonsojose
10-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Can somebody merge this thread with RonE's :) ?

RonE
10-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, I have been to so many airports already. The one I like the most is the one in my hometown of Frankfurt because I know it by heart already. I know the 2 terminals, have eaten at all of the restaurants already, have been to all the shops.

Yes, Frankfurt has always been one of my favourites. I have flown through FRA several times- the only drawback is that it is so huge and it takes forever sometimes to get from one gate to the next (a la Heathrow).

Another airport I like is the one in Atlanta. I like the shops and not just because I can buy Beanie Babies in bulk there. The restaurants are cool too and at the café they have the best muffins that I have ever eaten. It also has nice areas with sofas for the passengers to sit down and chill while waiting for their flights. At other airports they have them too but not as many as in Atlanta. There it's really not too hard to find a spare sofa to sit down on.
The ground transportation is also great there because the trains to Downtown Atlanta depart directly from the airport railway station which is rather hard to miss, you just have to follow the signs. :lol:

I have only been to Atlanta once and I was only there because I was on a connecting flight. And this was back when I was 8 so I assume it has changed a bit since then, plus I don't really remember it all that well.

In New York I like the JFK airport best, the Newark airport isn't all that bad but I don't like the cities that surround the airport, they are totally polluted and definitely not the place to be. JFK is a lot nicer, cleaner and bigger too. I like big airports.

This I find surprising as almost anyone I talked to who has been to JFK said it was awful.

I was in Newark very recently and I must say I found it very user friendly- the skytrain is useful and directions are easy to follow. Certainly beats Dulles hands down :retard:

Another airport I fancy is San-Francisco SFO- very clean and modern plus the BART train goes directly from the airport to downtown SF and further east to the Ygnacio valley so it is very convenient.

The one big airport I have been to that I found just shocking was Buenos Aires Ezeiza. Mind you this was more than 10 years ago so they might have done some renovation work since then (at elast I hope so for the sake of the passengers). The floor was made of linoleum which was practically peeling off and the duty free and shops were very poor from what I remember.

The one that takes first place in my view though and worldwide has to be Singapore Changi- although it has also been quite some time since I was there last.

cobalt60
10-18-2005, 09:53 PM

Must have been an awesome experience. My boot camp experiences were nothing like that but then again I wasn't in the Navy or Air Force.
I don't know about awesome but it was an eye opener. Sort of like what Outward Bound is now. And I can't believe folks pay to go do that :lol: Where do you live in Israel btw? Hubby lived in Jeruselum many years ago and is itching to go back with the family. Not sure I am ready yet to go.

RonE
10-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Cool I didn't see this.

Alfie- you are bitching about a 6 1/2 hour flight to NY? Try this on for size:

Sydney-London with a stoppover in Bangkok. Arrival in Heathrow, transfer to Gatwick for connecting flight to Tel-Aviv.

Sydney-Bangkok: ~ 9 hours.
Layover in Bangkok: 1 1/2 hours
Bangkok-London: 12 hours
Transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick through rush hour traffic: ~ 2 1/2 hours + wait for connecting flight
London Gatwick to Tel-Aviv: 5 hours.

Total: 29 hours :rolleyes:

Now this was with Qantas on the SYD-LHR sector where they have decent legroom and I got bumped up to business class for the LGW-TLV bit on British Airways.

This other time I flew with JAL from Paris CDG to Sydney via Tokyo- and the Japanese as a rule are smaller built so we are talking about 0 legroom :help:

An 11 hour and 15 minute flight from Paris to Tokyo, a 9 hour layover in Tokyo Narita and another 9 hour flight to Sydney. Again adds up to about 29 hours and a hefty amount of visits to the chyropractor.

So all you people who moan about 3 hour and 6 hour flights, come back to me after spending at least +20 hours consecutively on airplanes/airports.

RonE
10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't know about awesome but it was an eye opener. Sort of like what Outward Bound is now. And I can't believe folks pay to go do that :lol: Where do you live in Israel btw? Hubby lived in Jeruselum many years ago and is itching to go back with the family. Not sure I am ready yet to go.

Cool- I live in Tel-Aviv. Jerusalem comes out on top when it comes to the climate but as far as anything else is concerned for me T.A wins hands down.

Well, if you have never lived here for an extended period of time it could take a bit of getting used to. Have you been on visits?

Federerhingis
10-18-2005, 10:08 PM

You know what I'm talking about, talk about NYC. Gosh cab drivers deliberatelty want to run you over, well yeah I have to admit its a bad habit of NYers to j-walk but damn, if they were coming at 35mph they all of a sudden see a pedestrian j-walking and it hits them they step on that gas pedal and hit 75mph not only to make sure to not miss the green light but to make sure to run over anything that comes in their way. :tape:

cobalt60
10-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Cool- I live in Tel-Aviv. Jerusalem comes out on top when it comes to the climate but as far as anything else is concerned for me T.A wins hands down.

Well, if you have never lived here for an extended period of time it could take a bit of getting used to. Have you been on visits?
No I have never been. Eldest is having a Bar Mitzvah next year and wants to go thereafter. I have to admit that I am not much of a travel sort of person-at least with the family. ;)

willie
10-19-2005, 12:53 AM
i always travel with american airlines, and i highly recommend it:yeah:
last time i travel by air france and i didnt like it:o, the service wasnt good.

+alonso
10-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Nah! I dislike AA
It's soo bad!! :o
I traveled from SCL to Los Angeles via Dallas.. Yuck!!!! the seats are soo small..!! I can't even sleep!! :o and you have to pay for everything :o

I love Lan Chile :p They're the best :lol: besides they have a best offer! SCL to Los Angel Via Lima, Peru which is shorter than the first one!

+alonso
10-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Oh!!
Once i was in Lima, Peru waiting for my airplane to Los Angeles; and a man told me! So you're Chilean? eh? and i told him.. Hmm Yup, why the question? and then he told me back .. Nah, I went to Santiago, Chile and i noticed the airport is very ugly and one of the worst airport in S.America and then i got mad!! I told him! YEAH? Well, Lima isn't the best.. did you knew it that Lima had a very ugly airport.? This new "thing"(Lima has a new airpot BTW) is very good and ppl is nice to me but you man! you're a xenophobic and leave me alone! then.. he said whatever and i started to walk into my gate .. i didnt want to be next to this psycho! :unsure:
Anyways, This is the only man who I've had some problems.. Peruvians were way to nice to me :yeah:

Lee
10-19-2005, 01:32 AM
i always travel with american airlines, and i highly recommend it:yeah:
last time i travel by air france and i didnt like it:o, the service wasnt good.

Nah! I dislike AA
It's soo bad!! :o
I traveled from SCL to Los Angeles via Dallas.. Yuck!!!! the seats are soo small..!! I can't even sleep!! :o and you have to pay for everything :o

I love Lan Chile :p They're the best :lol: besides they have a best offer! SCL to Los Angel Via Lima, Peru which is shorter than the first one!

The one and only time I travelled with AA, I had very mixed feeling. I flied from Phoenix to Houston, AA's hub and the crew was very nice and the service was top rated. But from Houston to Calgary, Canada, it's a nightmare trip. The crew didn't care about the passengers at all. I was really hungry as there's not enough time for me to stop and eat in Houston Airport. There's no real food from the first flight and same for the next one. While nobody on the plane have anything to eat, the crew member servicing my area, heated some very delicious smelling food, sat down 2 rows behind me and ate. :rolleyes:

Nikki♥
10-19-2005, 08:27 AM
When I travel to the USA I usually fly on US Airways because I like their service, the best airline is Delta though but they are too expensive. :o
Travelling to Brazil I always stick to Varig, they are reliable and the inflight entertainment has a huge variety and for domestic flights they are also highly recommended.
Within Europe I hardly travel by airplane because I like road trips way too much.

Mrs. B
10-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Agree with you Ron ---Changi airport in Singapore is awesome. Waiting for my connecting flight for another 6 hours is no problem, there are so many diversions! ;)
i love their dark rooms where you can have a lie down. :cool: last time i waited, i had a soothing massage. :zzz:

we once came back one time from Asia on SQ and were approaching ZH over the Austrian Alps, there was a heavy turbulence that went like forever. I clutched hubby's hand for dear life but i freakin died during those moments. :scared:

i find it funny when people clap their hands when a plane has landed. i thought it was something started by Filipinos! :lol:

RonE
10-19-2005, 12:24 PM
i find it funny when people clap their hands when a plane has landed. i thought it was something started by Filipinos! :lol:

I thought it was something started by Israelis :p

There used to be a time on every El-Al flight that landed in Israel the passengers would widlly clap whistle and cheer. They still do it these days although the resonnance has gone down a tad.

As for American Airlines, my mum flew with them recently from Europe and she said they were not great. Not enough legroom, shabby service although she did mention the flight attendants on the return flight were exceptionally nice.

For me, the best American airline company I flew with was Continental. I guess the fact that I flew with them long haul in Business Class might have had something to do with that :p

Mrs. B
10-19-2005, 12:35 PM
i once flew with Thai Airways to BKK economy and on the flight to Phuket they put me on business class, same way back. :angel:

when i arrived in Bangkok from the south i took a 'limo' to the city which i prepaid, the guy had a breakdown in the middle of the highway, said he ran out of gas, walked away to make a phone call (no cp's then) and never came back. i had to hitch a ride to get to Khaosan Road.

RonE
10-19-2005, 01:29 PM
when i arrived in Bangkok from the south i took a 'limo' to the city which i prepaid, the guy had a breakdown in the middle of the highway, said he ran out of gas, walked away to make a phone call (no cp's then) and never came back. i had to hitch a ride to get to Khaosan Road.

Oh my you poor thing :hug:

Kind of reminds me of the time I went to Indonesia. The vans we were riding in would break down very often but at least the driver stayed put :tape:

tennischick
10-19-2005, 03:58 PM
last year i went to Bogota, Colombia for a month, and i had a heck of a time getting out bec of all the stupid lines -- one line to pay exorbitant exit taxes, another line to get your bags cleared, another line to clear security etc etc. by the time i had gone thru every line, my plane was in the air and i ended up having to spend an extra weekend. but Colombia is such a lovely country (despite all the bad press) that i have fond memories anyway.

the worst airport in the world IMO is Caracas. getting out of Caracas is a nightmare. even more lines and more security checks than Bogota. and the flights are always seriously oversold (not just overbooked), so if you don't get to the airport 5-6 hours ahead of your flight, you have no chance in hell of getting out. i had a horrific experience recently when i had a connecting flight from Isla Margarita to Caracas which meant that i got to the Caracas airport only 3 hours before my flight. how i got out was gracias a Dios and a host of his angels who conspired to assist me. the experience was so horrible that it wiped out every trace of the wonderful week i had spent with my sweetie in Margarita. i have not been back since and do not plan to return.

nice thread Ron E :kiss:

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Cool I didn't see this.

Sydney-London with a stoppover in Bangkok. Arrival in Heathrow, transfer to Gatwick for connecting flight to Tel-Aviv.

Transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick through rush hour traffic: ~ 2 1/2 hours + wait for connecting flight

Now this was with Qantas on the SYD-LHR sector where they have decent legroom and I got bumped up to business class for the LGW-TLV bit on British Airways.

This other time I flew with JAL from Paris CDG to Sydney via Tokyo- and the Japanese as a rule are smaller built so we are talking about 0 legroom :help:

An 11 hour and 15 minute flight from Paris to Tokyo, a 9 hour layover in Tokyo Narita and another 9 hour flight to Sydney. Again adds up to about 29 hours and a hefty amount of visits to the chyropractor.

So all you people who moan about 3 hour and 6 hour flights, come back to me after spending at least +20 hours consecutively on airplanes/airports.
:speakles: :hug: Isn't there a flight from Middle West or Turkey to TLV. Why London :shrug: ?

BTW, my trip from Madrid to Bogota wasn't that funny either. LHR - Madrid was fine. I had the U.K. Visa only, not the Euro (Shelken, Shenjen or something like that :scratch: ) one, so after we waited three hours in the plane u'coz of the weather, they told us about a software failure in the Airbus :scared:, and the new departing time was set up twelve hours later. After a big load of :shout: and :sobbing: , they let me sleep in the V.I.P. room ( i couldn't sleep anyways, but those V.I.P. bathrooms are :cool: )
When we finally are ready to leave, a passanger didn't show so they have to pick her baggage up. Another two hours and ... . Obviously, i lost my Bogota-Barranquilla flight so i had to wait another 12 hours until the red-eye flight to my city

LHR-MAD 2 h
MAD 17 h delay
MAD-BOG 9 1/2 h
BOG 12 h delay
BOG-BAQ 1 h

41 hours :sobbing: :mad: and i'm still fighthing with Iberia 'coz they gave me food tickets for Madrid but not for Bogota :ras:

RonE
10-19-2005, 05:30 PM
:speakles: :hug: Isn't there a flight from Middle West or Turkey to TLV. Why London :shrug: ?

There are actually non-stop El-Al flights from TLV to both Bangkok and Hong Kong and from there just one more leg to Oz with Thai, Cathay or Qantas. However it all boiled down to one thing at the time: I was going to Australia on a package deal and British Airways offered the cheapest deal out of all the other airlines so that was the deciding factor. Of course, British Airways is partnered by Qantas so when I could I flew with Qantas on the longer flights since they are way better than British (or at least used to be at the time).

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 05:36 PM
There are actually non-stop El-Al flights from TLV to both Bangkok and Hong Kong and from there just one more leg to Oz with Thai, Cathay or Qantas. However it all boiled down to one thing at the time: I was going to Australia on a package deal and British Airways offered the cheapest deal out of all the other airlines so that was the deciding factor. Of course, British Airways is partnered by Qantas so when I could I flew with Qantas on the longer flights since they are way better than British (or at least used to be at the time).
:rolleyes: i always use first class ;) like Tim Henman (he said so in the last tennis magazine issue )

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Of course, i'm kidding. Those prices .. :bolt:

RonE
10-19-2005, 05:37 PM
last year i went to Bogota, Colombia for a month, and i had a heck of a time getting out bec of all the stupid lines -- one line to pay exorbitant exit taxes, another line to get your bags cleared, another line to clear security etc etc. by the time i had gone thru every line, my plane was in the air and i ended up having to spend an extra weekend. but Colombia is such a lovely country (despite all the bad press) that i have fond memories anyway.

the worst airport in the world IMO is Caracas. getting out of Caracas is a nightmare. even more lines and more security checks than Bogota. and the flights are always seriously oversold (not just overbooked), so if you don't get to the airport 5-6 hours ahead of your flight, you have no chance in hell of getting out. i had a horrific experience recently when i had a connecting flight from Isla Margarita to Caracas which meant that i got to the Caracas airport only 3 hours before my flight. how i got out was gracias a Dios and a host of his angels who conspired to assist me. the experience was so horrible that it wiped out every trace of the wonderful week i had spent with my sweetie in Margarita. i have not been back since and do not plan to return.

Anytime :hatoff:

Yes, flying experiences in Latin America can get quite interesting from stories I hear. Although I have been only once to that continent I never had any experiences the likes of which you described. However I flew from Australia with Aerolineas Argentinas and also on other South American routes and I cannot remember one single time when one of those flights actually departed on time :tape:

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 05:37 PM

Bogota is :inlove:

Lee
10-19-2005, 05:46 PM
When I travel to the USA I usually fly on US Airways because I like their service, the best airline is Delta though but they are too expensive. :o

US Airways is another nightmare for me. I was supposed to fly from Calgary, Canada to Boston via Toronto on Air Canada. My plane left after midnight and was supposed to arrive Toronto before 6am and then board another plane to Boston. There were not many passengers for that flight (who wants to fly in the middle of the night :p ) and the airline changed to a small plane. The problem was the plane was older and made more noise and was not allowed to land in Toronto's airport before 6am. Thus I missed my connector and Air Canada had no more flight out of Toronto until evening. I was put on US Airway which left at noon. There were 3 terminals in airport and the one we were in, only host Air Canada. There's no information or sign or whatever telling us where we could find US Airway and what happened to our baggages. We finally found our baggages and believed US Airway would be in another terminal. We got out and finally saw a bus stop sign for transporting us to another terminal. There's not enough time to get ourselves out of the airport and back, so we just sat around in the airport. And watched how the people handled the baggages. I saw baggages dropped out of the carts and lying on the ground. Nobody cared and it's raining. When we arrived Boston, there was a 6" slash on the side cutting through hubby's brand new baggage and since it was raining, everything inside was wet. And the only thing the airline did was fixed that cut or paid us the amount to fix it. :rolleyes:

Lee
10-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Now we know why US Airways bankcrupt and :rolleyes: merged with America West. The airline I used these days as AW was the local airline.

Mrs. B
10-19-2005, 08:55 PM
are there other airports doing this?
last time i was in the States was 2 yrs. ago, landed in Newark, took a trolly and had to pay 2 dollars.
the only other place i know where you pay for a trolly is Manila. for a dollar. :lol:

Lee, once we missed our connecting flight from Amsterdam to Bern and had to wait for hours at Schiphol airport as our flight from Detroit was delayed. All the passengers have checked in. They were still loading fuel on the plane. Northwest Airlines.

RonE
10-19-2005, 09:02 PM

BTW, my trip from Madrid to Bogota wasn't that funny either. LHR - Madrid was fine. I had the U.K. Visa only, not the Euro (Shelken, Shenjen or something like that :scratch: ) one, so after we waited three hours in the plane u'coz of the weather, they told us about a software failure in the Airbus :scared:, and the new departing time was set up twelve hours later. After a big load of :shout: and :sobbing: , they let me sleep in the V.I.P. room ( i couldn't sleep anyways, but those V.I.P. bathrooms are :cool: )
When we finally are ready to leave, a passanger didn't show so they have to pick her baggage up. Another two hours and ... . Obviously, i lost my Bogota-Barranquilla flight so i had to wait another 12 hours until the red-eye flight to my city

LHR-MAD 2 h
MAD 17 h delay
MAD-BOG 9 1/2 h
BOG 12 h delay
BOG-BAQ 1 h

41 hours :sobbing: :mad: and i'm still fighthing with Iberia 'coz they gave me food tickets for Madrid but not for Bogota :ras:

:hug:

Ok, ok after an experience like that you have definitely earned moaning rights :p

I must say I was very lucky never to have had such major delays as yet... I just hope it stays that way :tape:

Mrs. B
10-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Now we know why US Airways bankcrupt and :rolleyes: merged with America West. The airline I used these days as AW was the local airline.

lol, i just saw that alfie has a similar thread. how 'bout a merger, Ron? ;)

Lee
last time i was in the States was 2 yrs. ago, landed in Newark, took a trolly and had to pay 2 dollars.
the only other place i know where you pay for a trolly is Manila. for a dollar. :lol:

It's 3 dollars in Phoenix's Sky Harbour Airport :p

Lee, once we missed our connecting flight from Amsterdam to Bern and had to wait for hours at Schiphol airport as our flight from Detroit was delayed. All the passengers have checked in. They were still loading fuel on the plane. Northwest Airlines.

Honestly, I haven't found an airline in North America that I'm happy with :rolleyes:

I have flown with Cathay Pacific, Air Canada, ex-Canadian Airline, Air Thai, China Airline :scared: Delta, American Airline, US Airway and American Airline, there were excellent flights and nightmare flights. On a whole, I flew Air Canada the most and so far, mostly good memories.

RonE

Yes I remember that. Thankfully I had only one piece of luggage on wheels so I did not need a trolley.

In Milan Malpensa I think you also have to pay for the trolley- I was there just this week. Speaking of which, I have not seen such a disorganized airport in a long time. Waiting to check in there was a massive queue sealed off and entry permitted only to passengers checking in. My dad dropped me off there and he had to go to the bathroom desperately and there was only one bathroom on the whole of the first floor outside the restricted check-in area and it was closed for cleaning. We finally found one upstairs where the restaurants are located.

And going through security is a nightmare- the queue is as long as I have seen in any airport I can remember and I have been to many. In short, if I can possibly avoid MXP in the future I will do so.

Don't even get me started on Northwest they are the pits :mad:

Lee
10-19-2005, 09:12 PM
lol, i just saw that alfie has a similar thread. how 'bout a merger, Ron? ;)

Alfonso had suggested a merge when this thread started.

RonE
10-19-2005, 09:19 PM
I have flown with Cathay Pacific, Air Canada, ex-Canadian Airline, Air Thai, China Airline :scared: Delta, American Airline, US Airway and American Airline, there were excellent flights and nightmare flights. On a whole, I flew Air Canada the most and so far, mostly good memories.

I must say on the whole apart from Northwest all the other airlines I flew with in North america were fine- Delta, Southwest, Alaskan and I found Continental was really good. I also flew with ex-Canadian and Air Canada and found them to be very good as well.

As for China Air, I haven't flown with them but when I was in China a few years back and I had heard stories about flying in China I was a bit apprehenssive about doing so, however I must say I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of Chinese airliners. I flew with China Northwest, and China Southwest and some domestic routes and they operated a brand new fleet of Airbus A-320's and NG 737's (800 series)- the planes were spotless, there were no delays. Everything was perfect. Chapeaux :hatoff:

RonE
10-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Alfonso had suggested a merge when this thread started.

Sure I would be glad to merge the threads. Question is, how do I do it? :secret: :o

EDIT: Never mind, I think I figured it out :o

Mrs. B
10-19-2005, 09:22 PM
lol, Ron. At Olbia airport in Sardinia going through security this young woman stops me and asked to check my handbag. she went through everything, and finally let me on. when hubby and i were on the shuttle bus, i remembered that i had my Swiss army knife in the outside pocket having put it there during one of our trips around the island. the Xray guy must have seen it and the security lady searched thoroughly but missed the outer pocket! :haha: :haha:

RonE
10-19-2005, 09:24 PM
lol, Ron. At Olbia airport in Sardinia going through security this young woman stops me and asked to check my handbag. she went through everything, and finally let me on. when hubby and i were on the shuttle bus, i remembered that i had my Swiss army knife in the outside pocket having put it there during one of our trips around the island. the x ray guy must have seen it but the security lady searched thoroughly but missed the outer pocket! :haha: :haha:

I don't know if I should be laughing or crying. Security at airports is a joke, anyone who is a professional with malicious intentions to smuggle weapons and would really want to do so would be able to find a way.

Lee
10-19-2005, 09:32 PM
As for China Air, I haven't flown with them but when I was in China a few years back and I had heard stories about flying in China I was a bit apprehenssive about doing so, however I must say I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of Chinese airliners. I flew with China Northwest, and China Southwest and some domestic routes and they operated a brand new fleet of Airbus A-320's and NG 737's (800 series)- the planes were spotless, there were no delays. Everything was perfect. Chapeaux :hatoff:

The new China airliners are much much better than today. It was the good old days in 70s and 80s (I'm an oldy ;) ) that's very scary :lol:

My first experience with China Airline was a trip from Guangzhou to Beijing. It was a hot Autumn day. After passengers boarded the plane, the crew gave everyone a paper fan as there's no air, let alone air-conditioning inside the cabin. The ladies had on an apron with paper cups, holding a big kettle offering water to passengers. It was a 737 (you know how BIG it is) and the guy sat next to me, on top his carryon baggages, had 6 watermelons with him :rolleyes:

I have many hilarious stories of the good old days China Airline but I'll save them for another day ;)

Lee
10-19-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't know if I should be laughing or crying. Security at airports is a joke, anyone who is a professional with malicious intentions to smuggle weapons and would really want to do so would be able to find a way.

Some of my love-30 clubbers may still remember I was so upset that the airport security had us removed little Lee beyblade launcher on our way home this summer. :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 09:38 PM
And what about the bottles of wine they sell on the planes :retard: :yawn:

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Some of my love-30 clubbers may still remember I was so upset that the airport security had us removed little Lee beyblade launcher on our way home this summer. :rolleyes:
:scratch: don't be mad at me, :kiss:, but the toy looked a bit scary :bolt: Who knows if some crazy passenger would have complain while flying :shrug:?

BTW, did u see my sexy photo ;) :o ?

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 09:43 PM
:hug:

Ok, ok after an experience like that you have definitely earned moaning rights :p

I must say I was very lucky never to have had such major delays as yet... I just hope it stays that way :tape:
and what about the IBeria flight attendants :mad: :bolt: :boxing:

Mrs. B
10-19-2005, 09:54 PM

in Singapore hubby had to remove a nailclipper/nipper from his backpack.

how about removing your shoes? :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 09:58 PM

:shrug: remember the guy with a bomb in his shoes :scared:

Lee
10-19-2005, 10:01 PM

These items are now clearly on the no-no list.

That's why I wear scandals. :lol:

RonE
10-19-2005, 10:02 PM
:shrug: remember the guy with a bomb in his shoes :scared:

I wonder what would happen if someone tried hiding explosives in certain bodily cavities... :tape: :bolt:

Lee
10-19-2005, 10:02 PM
:scratch: don't be mad at me, :kiss:, but the toy looked a bit scary :bolt: Who knows if some crazy passenger would have complain while flying :shrug:?

:smash: It's plastic :p ;)

BTW, did u see my sexy photo ;) :o ?

Where?

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 10:05 PM
:smash: It's plastic :p ;)

Where?
:lol: Pics of MTF members thread

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 10:07 PM
I wonder what would happen if someone tried hiding explosives in certain bodily cavities... :tape: :bolt:
I've heard horrendous stories about women visiting prisioners .. cellphones, knives :speakles:

Lee
10-19-2005, 10:12 PM
:lol: Pics of MTF members thread

And you looked like a guy I had a little crush on many years ago. :kiss:

Mrs. B
10-19-2005, 10:12 PM
and what about the IBeria flight attendants :mad: :bolt: :boxing:

old. :tape:

i flew Iberia first time i went to the States in 1989.

alfonsojose
10-19-2005, 10:18 PM
And you looked like a guy I had a little crush on many years ago. :kiss:
:hug: :o

+alonso
10-20-2005, 12:33 AM
And what about the bottles of wine they sell on the planes :retard: :yawn:

Lan Chile give it for FREE!! :cool:

alfonsojose
10-20-2005, 01:44 AM
:speakles: just a broken bottle is already a weapon :rolleyes:

RonE
10-20-2005, 07:08 AM
:speakles: just a broken bottle is already a weapon :rolleyes:

You don't need to go s far- going through security they confiscate those tiny manicure scissors people have in their handbags yet on board they give you a big metal knife and fork during the meal. Go figure :retard:

Federerhingis
10-20-2005, 07:58 AM

LHR-MAD 2 h
MAD 17 h delay
MAD-BOG 9 1/2 h
BOG 12 h delay
BOG-BAQ 1 h

Yup its called schengen visa, I had to get that one to go to France and had to get a different one for Switzerland, well I got excempted since my dad was born in Luzern, but its a hassle since they arent members of the european union. I wanted to go to London but that required another visa and the process was getting a bit nauceating. :mad:

Lee
10-20-2005, 07:59 PM
You don't need to go s far- going through security they confiscate those tiny manicure scissors people have in their handbags yet on board they give you a big metal knife and fork during the meal. Go figure :retard:

Not in US :p but I hardly travelled business or first class, thus no meal provided :lol:

I was in San Franciso waiting for my connection flight. We passed the security area and sat down in a restaurant for food. There are still metal forks and spoon but only plastic knife.

Honestly, sometimes forks can do more damage than a knife but that's our lovely homeland security expert for you :shrug:

alfonsojose
10-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Not in US :p but I hardly travelled business or first class, thus no meal provided :lol:

I was in San Franciso waiting for my connection flight. We passed the security area and sat down in a restaurant for food. There are still metal forks and spoon but only plastic knife.

Honestly, sometimes forks can do more damage than a knife but that's our lovely homeland security expert for you :shrug:
In the Madrid - Bogota fligth, economic class, they gave us metal knife and fork for the meal. I was like :scratch: :retard: The funny thing about it is you better not say anything. Can u imagine the face of the attendant if i'd say "i can use this as a weapon :devil: " :speakles:

Lee
10-20-2005, 08:22 PM
In the Madrid - Bogota fligth, economic class, they gave us metal knife and fork for the meal. I was like :scratch: :retard: The funny thing about it is you better not say anything. Can u imagine the face of the attendant if i'd say "i can use this as a weapon :devil: " :speakles:

:lol: You'll be escorted out of the plane, no matter it landed or not. :lol:

alfonsojose
10-23-2005, 06:41 AM
envy :ras:
http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/widebody_1.html

RonE
10-24-2005, 04:06 PM
envy :ras:
http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/widebody_1.html

Puts Air Force 1 to shame :tape:

RonE
10-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Why don't we list all the airlines we have flown on?

I'll start (in alphabetical order):

Aerolineas Argentinas
Air Canada
Air New Zealand
Alaskan Airlines
Aloha Airlines
Ansett Australia*
Arkia
Australian Airlines*
British Airways
Canadian Airlines*
China Northwest
China Southwest
Continental Airlines
Czech Airlines
Delta Airlines
Eastwest*
El-Al
Garuda Indonesia
JAL
LOT Polish Airlines
Lufthansa
Merpati
Northwest
Qantas
SAN
SAS
Singapore Airlines
Southwest
Swiss Airlines
Swissair*
TAME
Thai Airways
TWA
Virgin Atlantic

* Denotes defunct airlines no longer in operation.

Your turn :)

Lee
10-25-2005, 12:26 AM

Puts Air Force 1 to shame :tape:

Definitely better than the 'Air Force 1' that's used by JF Kennedy. ;)

alfonsojose
10-25-2005, 03:40 AM
I just saw Flight plan : Foster as good as always, the first half of the movie is good, the final sucks big time.

alfonsojose
10-25-2005, 03:46 AM
:o

AeroRepublica
Avianca
Aces *
Eastern *
Iberia

tennischick
10-25-2005, 04:09 AM
so too do Santa Barbara, aeropostale, and other South American airlines. i love that :hearts:

PaulieM
10-25-2005, 04:18 AM
my list in the order that i remembered them :p
virgin atlantic
air france
british airways
lufthansa
austrian airline
lauder air
us air
delta
continental
airtran
southwest
south african airways
klm
zambian airways*
trans world airline(i think that's what it was called)*
and some others i can't remember

azza
10-25-2005, 04:31 AM

Yes, they should launch that thing out of Cape Canaveral!

I have flown just about every modern commercial jet- 707, 727, all 737 variants, all 747 variants, 757-200, 767-200, 767-300, 777-200 A-300, A-310, A319, A-320, A-321, A-330, A-340, L-1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-80, MD-11.

It would be great to add the A-380 to that list :D

Have you flown the Boeing 777ER man i honeslty thing its faster the the 747

MissMoJo
10-25-2005, 04:32 AM
American airlines
Air canada
Air jamaica
BWIA
CaribExpress*
Caribbean star
Helena air
Jet Blue
Liat
Mustique airways
Pan Am*

RonE
10-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I just saw Flight plan : Foster as good as always, the first half of the movie is good, the final sucks big time.

Shame, I was looking forward to watching that.

Has anyone seen 'Redeyes'? So much BS but overall it was ok to fill in an otherwise lonely evening :awww:

RonE
10-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Have you flown the Boeing 777ER man i honeslty thing its faster the the 747

Yes I have flown the 777-200ER on both El-Al and Continental

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=934169&WxsIERv=Obrvat%20777-258%2FRE&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Ry%20Ny%20Vfenry%20Nveyvarf&QtODMg=Cnevf%20-%20Puneyrf%20qr%20Tnhyyr%20%28Ebvffl%29%20%28PQT%2 0%2F%20YSCT%29&ERDLTkt=Senapr&ktODMp=Ncevy%2022%2C%202005&BP=0&WNEb25u=Cuvyvccr%20Aberg%20-%20NveGrnzvzntrf&xsIERvdWdsY=4K-RPP&MgTUQtODMgKE=&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=743&NEb25uZWxs=2005-10-04%2012%3A10%3A35&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=30833%2F335&static=yes&width=1024&height=695&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg_trarevp%20YVXR%20%27Obr vat%20777%25%27%29%20NAQ%20%28nveyvar%20YVXR%20%27 Ry%20Ny%20Vfenry%20Nveyvarf%25%27%29%20%20BEQRE%20 OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=3&prev_id=936518&next_id=931396&size=L

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=942582&WxsIERv=Obrvat%20777-224%2FRE&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Pbagvaragny%20Nveyvarf&QtODMg=Gbxlb%20-%20Anevgn%20Vagreangvbany%20%28Arj%20Gbxlb%29%20%2 8AEG%20%2F%20EWNN%29&ERDLTkt=Wncna&ktODMp=Znepu%2026%2C%202005&BP=0&WNEb25u=Wnl%20Cvobbaghz&xsIERvdWdsY=A78017&MgTUQtODMgKE=&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=487&NEb25uZWxs=2005-10-18%2015%3A18%3A19&ODJ9dvCE=017&O89Dcjdg=31679%2F391&static=yes&width=1077&height=780&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg_trarevp%20YVXR%20%27Obr vat%20777%25%27%29%20NAQ%20%28nveyvar%20YVXR%20%27 Pbagvaragny%20Nveyvarf%25%27%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20 cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=2&prev_id=945545&next_id=942498&size=L

As for which is faster I am not sure- on the 744 link they give you the max cruising speed as opposed to the typical cruising speed of the 777

747-400:
http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=100

777-200:
http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=106

alfonsojose
10-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Shame, I was looking forward to watching that.

Has anyone seen 'Redeyes'? So much BS but overall it was ok to fill in an otherwise lonely evening :awww:
I didn't like it. Too much "women can kick ass too" :yawn:

alfonsojose
10-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Little Lee's toy :lol:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051025/ts_nm/security_usa_airport_dc

Lee
10-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Little Lee's toy :lol:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051025/ts_nm/security_usa_airport_dc

:lol: And little Lee insisted we fly to San Diego next time instead of driving :eek: Now I know why......

Police found a toy and what they called "some organic material," and the terminal was reopened at about 9:15 a.m. (12:15 p.m. EDT/1615 GMT), a Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman added.

Wondering what the poor kid puked on the toy :tape:

PaulieM
10-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Cool I didn't see this.

man i know what you mean, i went on a direct flight from ny to lusaka, zambia a couple of years ago, that's 18hrs of flying time, not including time spent in airports or anything, definitely the longest flight i've ever been on. i'm glad we don't do the direct flight anymore, spending a couple of hours in the london airport is much better, at least it's some sort of break. although since i was pretty young at the time i found the flight quite fun, it was like i was living on the plane for a while. :rolleyes: :lol: let's just say my parents were less than thrilled with me and my siblings when we finally got off the damn plane.

alfonsojose
10-25-2005, 08:25 PM
:lol: And little Lee insisted we fly to San Diego next time instead of driving :eek: Now I know why......

Wondering what the poor kid puked on the toy :tape:
:haha: :haha:

alfonsojose
10-25-2005, 08:31 PM
man i know what you mean, i went on a direct flight from ny to lusaka, zambia a couple of years ago, that's 18hrs of flying time, not including time spent in airports or anything, definitely the longest flight i've ever been on. i'm glad we don't do the direct flight anymore, spending a couple of hours in the london airport is much better, at least it's some sort of break. although since i was pretty young at the time i found the flight quite fun, it was like i was living on the plane for a while. :rolleyes: :lol: let's just say my parents were less than thrilled with me and my siblings when we finally got off the damn plane.

RonE
10-25-2005, 10:37 PM

Is there is still a burn mark left on the floor on the spot where you lit the bonfire?

Federerhingis
10-26-2005, 01:27 AM

I know but I love jet blue and their dtv service. Their animal crackers and munchies complimentary snack are ok. :lol:

Oh my God Swiss air, gives out one if not the best milk chocolates I've ever taste. :lick: :drool: I'd just book a flight with them just for the chocolate. :tape:

cobalt60
10-26-2005, 01:42 AM
Ron-are you an aeronautical engineer or something?

alfonsojose
10-26-2005, 03:44 AM
Ron-are you an aeronautical engineer or something?
:ignore: he works for the MOSSAD :secret:

RonE
10-26-2005, 11:29 AM
:ignore: he works for the MOSSAD :secret:

I have been exposed!!! :bolt:

Action Jackson
10-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Great thread and good to read all the stories and as for airlines I have flown I will list them later.

Here is a pic from Funchal airport in Madeira, my younger brother was there for some time. Depending on the person it's a cool airport or scary.

http://www.consulgal.pt/gb/imagens/f06_1.gif

RonE
10-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Great thread and good to read all the stories and as for airlines I have flown I will list them later.

Here is a pic from Funchal airport in Madeira, my younger brother was there for some time. Depending on the person it's a cool airport or scary.

http://www.consulgal.pt/gb/imagens/f06_1.gif

Yes I have heard of that one- it is notorious.

Anyone here ever landed in the old airport in Hong Kong (Kai-Tak)? That was an interesting experience. Because of the mountains the incoming plane would have to do a right turn just before landing and that often led to some very awkward landings and quite a few times some planes were found in the drink in Kowloon Bay :tape:

See here for some interesting pics:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=223248&WxsIERv=Obrvat%20747-281S%2FFPQ&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Avccba%20Pnetb%20Nveyvarf%20%28APN%29&QtODMg=Ubat%20Xbat%20-%20Xnv%20Gnx%20Vagreangvbany%20%28UXT%20%2F%20IUUU %29%20%28pybfrq%29&ERDLTkt=Puvan%20-%20Ubat%20Xbat&ktODMp=1997&BP=0&WNEb25u=Pbyva%20Cnexre&xsIERvdWdsY=&MgTUQtODMgKE=%28%3Cn%20uers%3D%22%2Ffrnepu%2Fcubgb .frnepu%3Fvq%3D223249%2C223248%2C223247%2C223246%2 2%3ECubgb%202%20bs%204%3C%2Fn%3E%29%20Gbhpuqbja%2C %20ohg%20ng%20n%20uhtr%20natyr%20gb%20gur%20prager yvar.%20V%20pna%27g%20rira%20vzntr%20jung%20gur%20 perj%20ner%20guvaxvat%20ng%20guvf%20cbvag.&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=253912&NEb25uZWxs=2002-03-13&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=&static=yes&width=960&height=702&sok=JURER%20%20%28cynpr%20%3D%20%27Ubat%20Xbat%20-%20Xnv%20Gnx%20Vagreangvbany%20%28UXT%20%2F%20IUUU %29%20%28pybfrq%29%27%29%20%20beqre%20ol%20cubgb_v q%20QRFP&photo_nr=26&prev_id=223249&next_id=223247&tbl=ACCIDENT&size=L

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=223245&WxsIERv=Obrvat%20747-4O5&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Xberna%20Nve&QtODMg=Ubat%20Xbat%20-%20Xnv%20Gnx%20Vagreangvbany%20%28UXT%20%2F%20IUUU %29%20%28pybfrq%29&ERDLTkt=Puvan%20-%20Ubat%20Xbat&ktODMp=Yngr%201990%27f&BP=0&WNEb25u=Pbyva%20Cnexre&xsIERvdWdsY=UY74%2A%2A&MgTUQtODMgKE=V%20zhfg%20fnl%20gung%20univat%20frra %20nyy%20gurfr%20jvyq%20Xberna%20nccebnpurf%2C%20V %20jvyy%20guvax%20gjvpr%20orsber%20sylvat%20gurz%2 1%21%20Urer%20vf%20n%20747-400%20tbvat%20nebhaq%20nsgre%20trggvat%20vg%20nyy% 20jebat.&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=39271&NEb25uZWxs=2002-03-13&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=&static=yes&width=1000&height=680&sok=JURER%20%20%28cynpr%20%3D%20%27Ubat%20Xbat%20-%20Xnv%20Gnx%20Vagreangvbany%20%28UXT%20%2F%20IUUU %29%20%28pybfrq%29%27%29%20%20beqre%20ol%20cubgb_v q%20QRFP&photo_nr=29&prev_id=223246&next_id=221543&tbl=ACCIDENT&size=L

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=296829&WxsIERv=Obrvat%20747-409&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Puvan%20Nveyvarf&QtODMg=Ubat%20Xbat%20-%20Xnv%20Gnx%20Vagreangvbany%20%28UXT%20%2F%20IUUU %29%20%28pybfrq%29&ERDLTkt=Puvan%20-%20Ubat%20Xbat&ktODMp=Abirzore%206%2C%201993&BP=0&WNEb25u=Qnely%20Punczna&xsIERvdWdsY=O-165&MgTUQtODMgKE=Gur%20qnl%20nsgre.%20V%20ubcr%20gur%2 0cvybgf%20abfr%20jnf%20xabpxrq%20bhg%20nf%20zhpu%2 0nf%20gur%20cynar.%20Nsgre%20guvf%20jnf%20gnxra%20 gurl%20cnvagrq%20bhg%20gur%20gvgyrf%2C%20gura%20n% 20srj%20qnlf%20yngre%20gurl%20oyrj%20bss%20gur%20g nvy%20nf%20vg%20jnf%20bofgehpgvat%20genssvp.%20%28 nve%20genssvp%20gung%20vf%29&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=83842&NEb25uZWxs=2002-11-25&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=24313%2F977&static=yes&width=1024&height=630&sok=JURER%20%20%28cynpr%20%3D%20%27Ubat%20Xbat%20-%20Xnv%20Gnx%20Vagreangvbany%20%28UXT%20%2F%20IUUU %29%20%28pybfrq%29%27%29%20%20beqre%20ol%20cubgb_v q%20QRFP&photo_nr=20&prev_id=297972&next_id=239332&tbl=ACCIDENT&size=L

Action Jackson
10-26-2005, 02:08 PM
You wouldn't want to be drunk trying to land in Funchal and RonE, do you work for El Al?

alfonsojose
10-26-2005, 03:22 PM
I have been exposed!!! :bolt:
Leak, Leak :devil: Cheney told me that too. He's so .. gentle, for a republican :o

RonE
10-26-2005, 03:37 PM
You wouldn't want to be drunk trying to land in Funchal and RonE, do you work for El Al?

No I don't. But I am a memeber of their frequent flyer program if that is of any consolation :p

RonE
10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Leak, Leak :devil: Cheney told me that too. He's so .. gentle, for a republican :o

Must be his heart condition.

And Alfonso, that is more than I needed to know :o

Lee
10-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Yes I have heard of that one- it is notorious.

Anyone here ever landed in the old airport in Hong Kong (Kai-Tak)? That was an interesting experience. Because of the mountains the incoming plane would have to do a right turn just before landing and that often led to some very awkward landings and quite a few times some planes were found in the drink in Kowloon Bay :tape:

A very few times during the history of the airport. It's one of the most difficult airport to land but it's really not that bad. For all my time living in HK, I could not recall any casualties.

btw, you have a better chance surviving a plane crash then a dunk in the water around the airport :lol:

My most memorable experience with KaiTak was not inside a plane but on a bus. I was riding a bus and the bus was loading/unloading passengers at a bus stop. Unfortunately, the bus stop was at the end of the runway. (for those who don't know about KaiTak, there's only one runway and one end was toward the harbour and the other end, was one of the busiest roads and a densely populated area.) Imagine a 747 passed less than 20 ft above your head And I'm not exaggerating here.

RonE
10-27-2005, 01:12 PM
My most memorable experience with KaiTak was not inside a plane but on a bus. I was riding a bus and the bus was loading/unloading passengers at a bus stop. Unfortunately, the bus stop was at the end of the runway. (for those who don't know about KaiTak, there's only one runway and one end was toward the harbour and the other end, was one of the busiest roads and a densely populated area.) Imagine a 747 passed less than 20 ft above your head And I'm not exaggerating here.

I cannot begin to imagine how scary that must be having a monster like that scream overhead.

People at the beach in the Netherland Antilles don't have it too good either in that regard:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=042686&WxsIERv=Obrvat%20747-2O3OZ%28FHQ%29&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Nve%20Senapr&QtODMg=Cuvyvcfohet%20%2F%20Fg.%20Znnegra%20-%20Cevaprff%20Whyvnan%20%28FKZ%20%2F%20GAPZ%29&ERDLTkt=Argureynaqf%20Nagvyyrf&ktODMp=Ncevy%2017%2C%201998&BP=0&WNEb25u=Yra%20Cerfxbj&xsIERvdWdsY=S-OGQT&MgTUQtODMgKE=Sebz%20Cnevf%2C%20Senapr.%20Juvgr%20o rnpu%2C%20ghedhbvfr%20Pnevoorna%20jngref.%20Nethno yl%2C%20gur%20orfg%20%22raq%20bs%20ehajnl%22%20va% 20gur%20jbeyq%21%21&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=92592&NEb25uZWxs=1999-08-09%2000%3A00%3A00&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=22514%2F518&static=yes&width=800&height=558&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg_trarevp%20%3D%20%27Obrv at%20747-200%20%28P-25%2FR-4%29%27%29%20NAQ%20%28nveyvar%20%3D%20%27Nve%20Sen apr%27%20BE%20nveyvar%20%3D%20%27HGN%20-%20Havba%20qr%20Genafcbegf%20Nrevraf%20Pnetb%20%28 Nve%20Senapr%29%27%20BE%20nveyvar%20%3D%20%27Pbefn ve%20%28Xnob%20Nve%20%28Nve%20Senapr%29%29%27%20BE %20nveyvar%20%3D%20%27Pbefnve%20%28Nve%20Senapr%29 %27%29%20%20beqre%20ol%20lrne&photo_nr=85&prev_id=230841&next_id=020942&size=L

Mrs. B
10-27-2005, 02:37 PM
I flew from/into KaiTak years back with Cathay Pacific, those apartment buildings on the side i thought the wings of the plane was going to hit them, then upon landing that we would end up straight to the water! :scared:

i have flown these carriers:

Singapore Airlines
Thai Airways
Swiss Air
Malaysian Airlines
United Arab Emirates
Philippine Airlines
Air New Zealand
Cathay Pacific
Iberian
Scandinavian Airlines
KLM
Northwest
Lufthansa
United Airlines
SilkAir
Crossair

Lee
10-27-2005, 04:57 PM

I cannot begin to imagine how scary that must be having a monster like that scream overhead.

Growing up in HK, I used to the noise of air traffic but never had it that close ;)

joske
10-27-2005, 05:06 PM
I'd love to experience it one day tho :)

scary? probably :p
thrilling? without a doubt :D

Lee
10-27-2005, 05:20 PM
I'd love to experience it one day tho :)

scary? probably :p
thrilling? without a doubt :D

You won't be able to try that in Hong Kong as KaiTak is closed and replaced with a new airport, built on the sea. :lol:

May be the beach in Netherland Antilles. ;)

joske
10-27-2005, 05:23 PM
yes I was referring to that actually :)

yeah in Hong Kong they created this man-made island or sth, right? I saw a documentary on that on National Geographic Channel or sth

RonE
10-27-2005, 07:07 PM
yes I was referring to that actually :)

yeah in Hong Kong they created this man-made island or sth, right? I saw a documentary on that on National Geographic Channel or sth

I even think they modelled it after Osaka's Kinsai Airport which was also built on a man-made island.

Lee
10-27-2005, 07:10 PM
I even think they modelled it after Osaka's Kinsai Airport which was also built on a man-made island.

The reasoning is a bit different. Osaka's airport needs to withstand earthquake and away from population. The new airport in HK is because there's no land to build it. :shrug:

RonE
10-27-2005, 07:40 PM
The reasoning is a bit different. Osaka's airport needs to withstand earthquake and away from population. The new airport in HK is because there's no land to build it. :shrug:

That could very well be. On a sidenote landfills in Japan are also very common due to the shrinking amount of land available- real estate prices are in accordance :eek:

Has anyone been to the new Hong Kong (Chek Lap Kok) airport? What is that like?

Lee
10-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Has anyone been to the new Hong Kong (Chek Lap Kok) airport? What is that like?

I missed the new airport. Last time I was in HK, it's still the good old KaiTak. But I remembered the embarrasment it created when it was open and the big political wave :o :o :o

RonE
10-27-2005, 08:57 PM
I missed the new airport. Last time I was in HK, it's still the good old KaiTak. But I remembered the embarrasment it created when it was open and the big political wave :o :o :o

What exactly happened?

Lee
10-27-2005, 10:36 PM
What exactly happened?

The new government rushed to open the airport even it's not ready. Nothing was ready. The new state-of-the-art computer control terminals, both passengers and cargoes, were paralyised because the computer system could not handle the volume in the real world and crushed. Cargos loaded into the terminal were lost in the maze and could not transported to the semi-trailers waiting to pick them up. Fresh and frozen produce rotted. Plumbing broke down and most of the toilets were out of order. No water supply for the restaurants. Most of the arrival and departure announcement boards were not working. Passengers didn't know where their planes were. After 2 days of total chaos, the authority had to shut down the airport to fix the problems. The cargoes were shipped back to the terminals in KaiTak for distribution. I can't remember how long the airport was closed but it was a real embarrasment for the new government which was in charge of Hong Kong for about 1 year at that time.

RonE
10-27-2005, 10:56 PM
The new government rushed to open the airport even it's not ready. Nothing was ready. The new state-of-the-art computer control terminals, both passengers and cargoes, were paralyised because the computer system could not handle the volume in the real world and crushed. Cargos loaded into the terminal were lost in the maze and could not transported to the semi-trailers waiting to pick them up. Fresh and frozen produce rotted. Plumbing broke down and most of the toilets were out of order. No water supply for the restaurants. Most of the arrival and departure announcement boards were not working. Passengers didn't know where their planes were. After 2 days of total chaos, the authority had to shut down the airport to fix the problems. The cargoes were shipped back to the terminals in KaiTak for distribution. I can't remember how long the airport was closed but it was a real embarrasment for the new government which was in charge of Hong Kong for about 1 year at that time.

Oh dear :o

Reminds me of the new terminal they built in the airport here in Tel-Aviv.

Let's start off with the fact that it was supposed to open in 2000 but due to the fact that no contractor could last long enough to finish building it, the job was shuffled from contractor to contractor.

Then when they were finally supposed to open it in the summer of 2004, they realized they had a problem: they built the check-in desks on the farthest side of the terminal away from where passengers enter the building so they had to redesign the whole thing :retard:

It finally opened on Novemeber 2004 more than 4 years behind schedule :ignore: :o :o :o

But at least now we have a decent big terminal unlike the old one which did not have sleeves from the gate to the aircraft but rather coaches that took you to your plane.

Lee
10-27-2005, 11:15 PM
:o :o :o

alfonsojose
11-11-2005, 03:59 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4423750.stm
record from Boeing :bounce:

alfonsojose
11-30-2005, 05:59 PM
TSA to Allow Scissors, Tools on Planes
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051130/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/passenger_screening;_ylt=AnHDS7zd0nsNFR4RgmIX4mys0 NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

alfonsojose
11-30-2005, 06:05 PM
please, merge this with the flying stories thread

alfonsojose
12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
what a trip for a :cat: :lol:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051201/ap_on_fe_st/stowaway_cat;_ylt=Av0CsNg4Na4CTxAO6N0sWi4uQE4F;_yl u=X3oDMTA4cmUwbnA1BHNlYwMxNzAy

alfonsojose
12-01-2005, 05:42 PM
very,very frecuent flyer
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051201/od_nm/frequentflyer_dc;_ylt=Alz7fxLe4yQ7XPiw8_3HZNMuQE4F ;_ylu=X3oDMTA4cmUwbnA1BHNlYwMxNzAy

Lee
12-01-2005, 05:48 PM
what a trip for a :cat: :lol:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051201/ap_on_fe_st/stowaway_cat;_ylt=Av0CsNg4Na4CTxAO6N0sWi4uQE4F;_yl u=X3oDMTA4cmUwbnA1BHNlYwMxNzAy

Emily!!! This is where the Hewitts got the inspiration in naming their girl?

Lee
12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
very,very frecuent flyer
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051201/od_nm/frequentflyer_dc;_ylt=Alz7fxLe4yQ7XPiw8_3HZNMuQE4F ;_ylu=X3oDMTA4cmUwbnA1BHNlYwMxNzAy

:woohoo:

alfonsojose
12-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Top Prohibited Items Confiscated in 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=542&ncid=542&e=2&u=/ap/20051130/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/passenger_screening_list_1

Lee
12-04-2005, 05:44 AM
Finally a merged thread! :bigclap:

Mrs. B
12-04-2005, 11:23 AM
in eight and a half weeks time i'll be flying again! :banana:

but flying 12 hours straight is boring... :o

alfonsojose
12-05-2005, 02:59 AM
Merged :yeah: thanks admins :hug:

alfonsojose
12-07-2005, 08:54 PM
:eek: Passenger Who Made Threat Shot
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051207/ap_on_re_us/airplane_shooting
the plane arrived from Medellin, Colombia :o

alfonsojose
12-13-2005, 04:37 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051213/wl_nm/crash_nigeria_dc_15;_ylt=AgS7xSj7NKDJqt5Y1h2rBtYV6 w8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA2ZGZwam4yBHNlYwNmYw--

Lee
02-02-2006, 11:58 PM
:lol: Involuntary stowaway

http://phoenix.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D8FH87I80

Saudi Cargo Worker Falls Asleep in Jeddah, Wakes Up Freezing in Turkey
02-02-2006 3:12 PM

ISTANBUL, Turkey -- It was a short flight, and Muhammet Ahmet Mursi slept almost the whole way. No leg room complaints. No cramped seats. No annoying intercom announcements.

Only the heat wasn't on and it started to get a little cold. Cold enough to make Mursi wake up. Cold enough to make him realize he was in the cargo hold. Cold enough that he screamed so loud the pilots heard him.

Mursi, a cargo worker in Saudi Arabia, fell asleep on the job Wednesday night as he loaded the suitcases of Muslim pilgrims from Turkey on a Turkish Airlines flight from the Saudi port city of Jeddah to the southeastern Turkish city of Diyarbakir.

Mursi woke up somewhere over southeastern Turkey, television station NTV reported Thursday. He managed to make himself heard from among the boxes and suitcases he was stretched out on, prompting the pilots to pump him some hot air.

Bearded, wearing all orange and on a stretcher, Mursi was seen being taken from an airport in Diyarbakir, Turkey for medical treatment at a local hospital.

Yusuf Yagmur, a doctor, said Mursi was suffering from pneumonia.

"The patient was in a panic and he had pneumonia," Yagmur told Anatolia news agency. "His treatment will take a few days."

He will be returned to Saudi Arabia, probably on a seat, when his treatment is complete, NTV said.

Lee
02-03-2006, 12:04 AM
:sad: poor bambi
http://phoenix.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D8FH82U00
Small Plane Strikes Deer on Ala. Airport Runway, Forcing Emergency Landing at Another Airport
02-02-2006 3:02 PM

BESSEMER, Alabama -- A small airplane struck a deer while attempting to land on the runway of the Bessemer airport, forcing the plane to fly on and make an emergency landing in Birmingham, Alabama.

The pilot of the single engine plane was warned about a herd of deer on the runway before a landing attempt Wednesday evening, said Abe Alibrahim, the airport owner. The plane avoided most of the herd, he said, but struck one of the animals with its landing gear.

The aircraft continued onto the Birmingham International Airport, about 20 miles away, where the four-seater Cessna 172 Skyhawk landed safely. The pilot, the only person aboard the plane, was uninjured, said Patty Howell, spokeswoman for the Birmingham airport.

The plane's landing gear was "significantly damaged," she said.

Alibrahim said a similar incident occurred at the Bessemer airport four to six years ago. The airport is enclosed by a fence.

Such incidents involving wildlife are not uncommon, especially on runways in rural areas, said Paul Turk, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration. Turk said the FAA has been notified about the incident in Bessemer.

"It usually works to the disadvantage of the deer," he said.
:haha: :haha:

alfonsojose
03-22-2006, 05:47 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060322/ap_on_re_eu/eu_airline_safety;_ylt=AlZxv.PEU1Z9rUb3Sb9B8eS9IxI F;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NTMzazIyBHNlYwMxNjk2
Phuket Airlines from Thailand :sad: Buddyholly :hug:

alfonsojose
05-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Sorry if this is :topic: but i've always been on direct flights. When a plane makes an stop in a city before its final destination, are u allowed to leave the plane (i guess so, but :shrug: ) Do you have to check in again? How does it works :o ?

Suzi
05-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I dunno ive been on one stop flights before but u stay on the plane as its only to let people off and u dont need to switch planes. If you have to switch planes then you would need to get off (which i have to do this summer SCARY!! :o) but i dunno if u have to check yourself in agan though!

Lee
05-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Sorry if this is :topic: but i've always been on direct flights. When a plane makes an stop in a city before its final destination, are u allowed to leave the plane (i guess so, but :shrug: ) Do you have to check in again? How does it works :o ?

Suzi has explained most part of it already.

If it's a stopover, you won't leave the plane. It's either the plane needs refuel (for long distance flight) or the plane has passengers with the stopover city as destination. Since it costs lots of money for a plane parked in an airport, the plane will try to airborne ASAP so usually won't let remaining passengers out of the plane.

The other is connection flight. That means, there's no direct flight between your departure city to your destination city. Your airline ticket will show the iternary of from city A to city B, then from city B to city C. In this case, you have to leave the plane and board another one. Most of the time, your luggage will be transferred from one plane to another, except if you cross international boarder where you need to pick up all your luggages and clear custom before you can board the domestic flight to your destination.

alfonsojose
05-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks :wavey: I checked my friend's reservation and it's the same plane, so probably they won't let him out of it. Does that means he'll have to wait two or three hours in the airplane while they refuel it?

Lee
05-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks :wavey: I checked my friend's reservation and it's the same plane, so probably they won't let him out of it. Does that means he'll have to wait two or three hours in the airplane while they refuel it?

Is it only for refueling? How long he'll have to wait depends on how fast the airport can refuel the plane. The airline should have info of approx. how long the stopover is.

alfonsojose
05-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Gracias, Lee :hug:

Nikki♥
11-22-2007, 11:30 AM
:woohoo: I finally managed to find this thread.

This month I flew on Cathay Pacific for the first time ever and I have never been more disappointed by a flight company. On my way to Hong Kong we had a delay of 2 hours because they had discovered a technical defect on the plane which needed to be repaired. It wouldn't have taken 2 hours if some of the passengers hadn't backed out from the flight due to arising fear after hearing the words 'technical defect' and 'your plane' in the same sentence. Their baggage had to be taken out of the plane again which took an additional 45 minutes. :rolleyes:
On the way back everything seemed to be okay until the pilot tried to put up the undercarriage short after take-off. He had to put it up and down at least 3 times until it finally worked (it must have been stuck) and then it made a loud bang as if something had fallen off. I was sitting close to the flight attendants who looked at each other in disbelief and were clearly shocked as neither them nor the passengers had a clue what was going on. Nevertheless the plane landed in Frankfurt without any problems and it was even a turbulence-free flight.
According to many people that I have talked to Cathay Pacific is a very reliable company but I really consider not flying with them again. The service was okay, the flight attendants were nice and so was the ground staff. Still I found it rather weird to have technical difficulties like twice during a period of 2 weeks when flying with a company which claims to have such a high reputation and security standard. Perhaps I have just had bad luck to encounter something like this twice in a row but I definitely don't want to go through this again. :(

RonE
11-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience :hug:

I have never flown with them but like you I have heard from many people that they are very reliable, have great service etc.

Perhaps you did just get unlucky :shrug:

alfonsojose
06-11-2009, 12:48 AM
:tears:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/5481061/Air-France-crash-Familys-fear-of-flying-together-led-mother-and-son-to-board-doomed-Flight-447.html

alfonsojose
06-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Pilot dies mid-flight; plane lands safely in NJ :eek:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_pilot_dies;_ylt=ApC0HqEZURuLRrKrhNrSY3Zg.3QA;_y lu=X3oDMTI4MmV0cDE0BGFzc2V0Ay9hcC91c19waWxvdF9kaWV zBGNwb3MDMwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA 3BpbG90ZGllc21pZA--