Men refuse to play 2 matches a day to clear up schedule [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Men refuse to play 2 matches a day to clear up schedule

Tennis Fool
09-04-2003, 03:12 AM
Men Refuse to Play Two U.S. Open Matches a Day
By REUTERS

Filed at 2:39 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Competitors in the men's draw have ruled out playing two matches on the same day to clear up the backlog at the U.S. Open this week created by three days of persistent rain.

``That's not going to happen. It's not worth discussing,'' ATP players council chief Todd Martin told the Washington Post on Wednesday.

``If we have to (extend the tournament) to Monday or Tuesday, in my opinion that's what we need to do.''

The United States Tennis Association (USTA) had said on Tuesday there was a possibility of the men playing two matches a day in an effort to get the schedule back on track and hold the final on Sunday as expected.

``I never say never,'' tournament referee Brian Earley told reporters. ``It's hard for me to imaginebut I've never been in this situation before.

``The rule of thumb is one singles match a day but that wouldn't mean we wouldn't (finish) a match and then go on to play a second in the (same) day.

``The rule of thumb is one thing, what happens is another.

``Most people ask whether we would ask players to play every day, as opposed to every other day, and the answer is 'yes'.

``But the players understand...they are excellent, they are willing to play when and where we ask.''

Having completed just three matches in two days and with rain continuing to disrupt play on Wednesday, officials admitted they were facing the possibility of the season's final grand slam spilling over into a third week with at least one final on Monday.

Organizers have scheduled 106 matches for Wednesday although meteorologists predict another day of rain.

The last time the men's final was played on the third Monday of the championships was in 1987, when Ivan Lendl beat Mats Wilander.

claudine140
09-04-2003, 04:52 AM
I can understand the players when they just played a five setter it must feel terrible to play another fivesetter the same day
When there is a rest day between those two matches, or even not, they have more chances to recover a little and to take their chances to win. Men can play two fivesetters one day after another and win those matches, but two on one day??? Every one must have the same possibilitys , the same rules and advantages. That is my opinion.

Doris Loeffel
09-04-2003, 06:40 AM
``But the players understand...they are excellent, they are willing to play when and where we ask.''

Well they might be no longer willing seeing that they show such fair-play to them.

Men keep refusing to play two matches in a day!!

TheBoiledEgg
09-04-2003, 04:06 PM
just cos Agassi and Dickhead have got thru, now they want others to play twice :rolleyes:

they're not gonna BUDGE

Players should go on STRIKE :)

BelgianWaffle
09-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Me agrees with eggy ;)

the cat
09-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Is the USTA asking the men to play 2 best of 5 set matches in the same day or are they asking the men to finish up the end of one match and play the next match later in the day? There is a big difference. At this point it would seem the USTA would need the men to play 2 best of 5 set matches on the same day to get back on schedule and that will never happen. Nor should it. Todd Martin set the record straight.