My day at the Tournament [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

My day at the Tournament

polishprodigy
07-30-2002, 04:07 AM
Well when I got to the tournie, I was really excited to see the practice courts. I saw Yevgeny Kafelnikov praticing, then there was Marat Safin practicing with Albert Costa and then there was Carlos Moya. Later on I saw Tommy Haas, Vince Spadea and on another practice court Andy Roddick hit some with Sebastien Grosjean. One thing that puzzled me was that Marat and Yevgeny wern't talking or playing with eachother. I saw Jeff Tarango practicing doubles and making fun of this guy saying "Do u know what Top spin is, you know the ball that spins, why don't you use it!" :o

In matches, I watched Robredo-Schuettler. Rainer is a charachter, he was playing to the music that was coming from centre court, and he was really into the match. Robredo won 7-6 in the third, it was a great match, lots of good shots from both sides. I then saw Federer lose for a bit, I knew he would lose, as he hasn't gotten past the 1R in a month! I watched a bit of Martin playing Rusedski, and the fans were VERY Pro-Martin, which was good. ;) I saw Schalken play Wayne Black and sjeng won 6-3 6-3 and had an EASY time. I then watched Qualifier Taylor Dent give Magnus Norman a whipping, although the match was tight, though not evident in the 6-1 6-2 result. Qualifier Hyung-Taik Lee to my surprise beat Arnaud Clement which was impressive. LL-Radek Stepanek played well and beat Q-Alex Kim of the USA, wich was impressive. Srichapan had a little too much trouble with Kratochvil, but with some silly errors on Michal's part, Srichapan was able to win 7-6 in the third. Hmmm...I saw some Canadians play. 18-year old Frank Dancevic gave Fabrice Santoro a good run for his money in the first set, losing 7-5, but then he got exhausted and called the trainer. He lost the match 7-5 6-3. But still, talented. Now here was a whipeout. In less than an hour, James Blake stormed his way past Canadian no.4 Simon Larose 6-2 6-1. Blake was angry as he blew 3 match points before wining ,and had two chances to win the second set 6-0. But still a great talented and sportsmanlylike player. Didn't watch Malisse-Novak or Rios-Carlssen but the results were quite surprising. David Nalbandian overcame a slow start to beat French Qualifier Cyril Saulnier. ANd the biggest upset of all came as Lleyton Hewitt blew a fast start to fall to SPANIARD Mantilla 2-6 6-4 6-3! :eek:
I watched some doubles, Leander Paes had a walk in the park with now-partner Michael Hill beating two Quebeckers from Canada easily, 6-3 6-4, one of the Canadians spoke Polish! :o Overall, the day was pretty good, with some upsets and surprises! :)

christinaE
07-30-2002, 04:32 AM
How can you call Mantilla a Brazilian????? He is Spanish!

Doris Loeffel
07-30-2002, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the report. But please don't make Rogers results worse than they are!! As far as I know he beat Arazi in Gstaad so yes he has that one win during the last month. (Yes I know he should have many more.......)

Layla
07-30-2002, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the report. I'm particularly jealous that you got to see the Robredo/Schuettler match. I like them both. Schuettler's name is Rainer, by the way. ;)

King Aaron
07-30-2002, 10:55 AM
thanx :D

polishprodigy
07-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Sorry for my silly errors. Mantilla is Spanish? :o Wow, atleast I learned something new. Well 3 years ago, I was really big on men's tennis. But now I started to learn more about women's tennis so I lost the men's game. However, when I was walking around I recognize many many low-ranked players! So many kids were getting autographs of players who they had no clue of their identity!!! :rolleyes: Yeah, Rainer had some good shots, he was really playing well, hence pushing Robredo to the brink. Federer won a match! :) Wow! But what is wrong? Is he injured? Recovering from something tragic? Doesn't like hard-court?

TennisHack
07-30-2002, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the reports. I can't believe Lleyton lost :eek:, but wow, that really opens up the draw!

I think Michel is lacking confidence right now. I didn't see any of the match, but he blew a break in the second set (tho he finally won it in a tiebreak). After his great play at Wimbly he lost first round at home in Gstaad and hasn't played since.

As for Federer, there is a thread in General Messages about his attitude right now.

Hyde'
07-30-2002, 07:17 PM
Um ! thanks for Srichaphan's report