Agassi, Graf, ... mixed doubles, Dec 3, 2005 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi, Graf, ... mixed doubles, Dec 3, 2005

Gigan
10-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Agassi, Graf to team up for Boise charity event
Pair will play mixed doubles Dec. 3 at Taco Bell Arena

Nick Jezierny

The Idaho Statesman | Edition Date: 10-08-2005

Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf are coming to Boise to play tennis together, and they are bringing along other big names to participate in their Rock-n-Racquets fund-raiser.

The Dec. 3 event at Taco Bell Arena will be a tennis exhibition set to music. Event promoters say it's the first time that Agassi and Graf, who are married, will team up and play a mixed doubles match.

Agassi (eight Grand Slam titles) and Graf (22) are two of the biggest names in professional tennis.

Also playing in the event that raises funds for The Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation are Bob and Mike Bryan, the world's top-ranked doubles team, and James Blake, one of the top American players on the ATP Tour.

Tickets for the event go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday and will range in price from $15 to $85, with discounts available for families, students, groups and USTA members. They are available at the Taco Bell Arena box office, Select-A-Seat outlets, www.idahotickets.com, or by calling 426-1766.

Agassi has put on Rock-n-Racquets events in Miami, Little Rock, Ark., and Mobile, Ala.

The Boise event will have three tennis components:

• A mixed-doubles match that will feature Agassi and Graf against yet-to-be determined opponents.

• A men's doubles match pitting Agassi and Blake against the Bryans, who won the U.S. Open in men's doubles earlier this year.

• A singles match between Agassi and Blake.

Agassi and Blake played a memorable five-set quarterfinal match in this year's U.S. Open, with Agassi winning 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-6 (6). The match didn't end until after 1 a.m. EDT.

"At 1:15 in the morning for 20,000 people to still be here, I wasn't the winner, tennis was," Agassi told the crowd after the match. "I don't know if I've ever felt this good here before."

Blake said he's looking forward to a rematch.

"I am excited to be a part of such an elite group of athletes," Blake said in a statement. "Andre and I had such a memorable match at the U.S. Open, and it will be great to play with him once again in Idaho. This will be fun."

This is the second time Agassi is making news in Idaho. In August, he announced his company, Agassi Enterprises of Las Vegas, is part of a development group planning to build a 300,000-square-foot, 175-room hotel at Tamarack Resort in Donnelly.

Tamarack Resort is the title sponsor of the Rock-n-Racquets event in Boise.

"On the heels of our new partnership with Tamarack Resort, we felt that the people of Boise would really embrace Rock-n-Racquets," Agassi said in a statement. "Our intention is to bring this unique event to a market that typically has not had the opportunity to see professional tennis at a whole new level."

Gigan
10-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Agassi, Graf, Blake, Bryans Ready To Rock

Photo By Susan Mullane By Tennis Week
10/08/2005

Andre Agassi and James Blake rocked Arthur Ashe Stadium in a classic quarterfinal that was the most memorable match of the 2005 U.S. Open. In December, the two friends will renew their rivalry on court again for a cause — after Agassi and wife Steffi Graf make their mixed doubles debut together.

http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/AgassiOpen05BeatBlakeSMullane.jpg

Agassi will partner with the Hall of Famer he knows well — Graf — and Agassi and Blake will join forces to take on the Bryan Brothers in the Tamarack Resort's Rock-n-Racquets at Taco Bell Arena at Boise State University in Boise, Idaho on Saturday, December 3rd.

"Similar to our success in other cities, our intention is to bring this unique event to a market that typically has not had the opportunity to see professional tennis at a whole new level," Agassi said. "On the heels of our new partnership with Tamarack Resort, we felt the people of Boise would really embrace Rock-n-Racquets and we couldn't be more pleased with the overwhelming support displayed to date. Steffi and I are looking forward to returning to Idaho."

The format features three matches: Agassi and Blake will share the court in taking on 2005 U.S. Open champions Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan in a doubles match; Agassi and Graf will make their mixed doubles debut together against Blake and a partner to be determined before Agassi and Blake rekindle the fire of their classic U.S. Open quarterfinal that brought fans to their feet in Arthur Ashe Stadium as the Americans battled into a dramatic fifth-set tiebreak. Gates open at 6 p.m. on Saturday, December 3rd with play scheduled to start at 7 p.m.

"I am excited to be part of such an elite group of players," Blake said. "Andre and I had such a memorable match at the U.S. Open and it will be great to play with him once again in Idaho. This will be fun."

Rock-n-Racquets is an annual fundraising tennis exhibition that benefits the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation. Tickets go on sale Friday, October 14th at 10 a.m. MST and will be priced from $15 to $85. Family packages and BSU student, group and USTA discounts will be available. For tickets, please visit www.idahotickets.com or phone (208) 426-1766. For more information, please visit www.rocknracquets.com.

joycomesmorning
10-09-2005, 01:08 AM
We have already purchased our tickets for the December 2 Genworth charity event in Richmond, VA...we will see Steffi and Andre and Roddick and Anna Kournikova play doubles and Roddick and Andre a singles match...

From the sounds of things, they will hop on a plane right after the Richmond event and head to Idaho...that's how they used to do tennis in the "good ole days", I hear...one nighters...only these are for charity!!!

jcm

LMason
10-10-2005, 01:08 AM
I too have tickets for the Richmond event. When I saw the Boise press release my first thought was "they must have a great private jet."

I've bought tickets twice for events that Graf was supposed to play and then pulled out at the 11th hour because of injury. I really hope this one pans out.

joycomesmorning
10-10-2005, 03:10 AM
I too have tickets for the Richmond event. When I saw the Boise press release my first thought was "they must have a great private jet."

I've bought tickets twice for events that Graf was supposed to play and then pulled out at the 11th hour because of injury. I really hope this one pans out.
We're in section 7, row E...stop by and say hello if you get a chance...and I, too, will be disappointed if Steffi doesn't come...we saw Andre play WTT in Philly last year...and saw Roddick in person the year before at WTT...but I have never seen Steffi in person...and my husband is looking forward to seein Anna K. :) What can I say!! Men!! :)

jcm

Andre forever
10-10-2005, 07:16 AM
don't forget to take some pictures..not some but lots lolz

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-10-2005, 11:20 AM
They must win the "match"! :aplot:
Enjoy watching this charity event,lucky guys! :kiss:

Minnie
10-10-2005, 11:33 AM
You lucky people - seeing Andre + Steffi play in mixed doubles! I was so disappointed that it never happened in Wimbledon a few years back (I think she became pregnant with their 2nd child if I remember rightly). Enjoy!

doubleafan
10-11-2005, 05:49 AM
I hope they play Martina Navratilova and Leander Paes or Daniela Hantuchova and Bhupati in the mixed doubles ...

TennisGrandSlam
10-11-2005, 05:56 AM
Graf - 1st and only one female Golden Grand Slam tennis player (Women Singles) in the world!

Agassi - 1st and only one male career Golden Grand Slam tennis player (Men Singles) in the world!

Golden Grand Slam = Champions in Australian Open + Roland Garros + Wimbledon + US Open + Olympic Games

deyaa
10-12-2005, 02:54 AM
Graf - 1st and only one female Golden Grand Slam tennis player (Women Singles) in the world!

Agassi - 1st and only one male career Golden Grand Slam tennis player (Men Singles) in the world!

Golden Grand Slam = Champions in Australian Open + Roland Garros + Wimbledon + US Open + Olympic Games

iam wondering the same thing ... :worship:
their fate seems put by God

MisterQ
10-12-2005, 03:59 AM
I hope they play Martina Navratilova and Leander Paes or Daniela Hantuchova and Bhupati in the mixed doubles ...

Oh, I would DIE to see them play Navratilova/Paes! :worship:

JessCK
10-13-2005, 03:24 AM
Thanks to you guys, I got tickets to the Richmond charity event as well. I wouldnt have known about it if I hadn't read these boards because I don't live in Richmond but it's a close enough drive that me and three of my friends are driving up there for the weekend to see Andre and Andy! It should be great fun!

I'm a huge Andre fan and have seen him play in two tournaments....Cincinnati and DC. I'm just glad I'll get to see him play again before he retires even if it's not a competitive match.

MisterQ
10-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks to you guys, I got tickets to the Richmond charity event as well. I wouldnt have known about it if I hadn't read these boards because I don't live in Richmond but it's a close enough drive that me and three of my friends are driving up there for the weekend to see Andre and Andy! It should be great fun!

I'm a huge Andre fan and have seen him play in two tournaments....Cincinnati and DC. I'm just glad I'll get to see him play again before he retires even if it's not a competitive match.

That's awesome! :cool: Have fun! :)

LMason
10-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Do these press agents know something we don't? Why is the Boise event still advertising themselves as "the first time" Andre and Steffi will play together when the Richmond event is the day before. I know their advertisers like that, but the ATP newsletter just printed the same thing.

djul
10-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Do these press agents know something we don't? Why is the Boise event still advertising themselves as "the first time" Andre and Steffi will play together when the Richmond event is the day before. I know their advertisers like that, but the ATP newsletter just printed the same thing

because you imagine them advertising as "the second time, because the 1st time was the day before" ;) :lol:

LMason
11-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Well us RIchmond ticket holders are lucky. The event is sold out, and now there's a waitlist for people who want tickets.

deyaa
11-11-2005, 02:12 AM
that means good news for the charity..
whom they will play with ?

LMason
12-03-2005, 06:10 AM
We're in section 7, row E...stop by and say hello if you get a chance...and I, too, will be disappointed if Steffi doesn't come...we saw Andre play WTT in Philly last year...and saw Roddick in person the year before at WTT...but I have never seen Steffi in person...and my husband is looking forward to seein Anna K. :) What can I say!! Men!! :)

jcm

JOy, where were you? I came by at the break after 3-2 in the second set of the Roddick-Agassi match and yelled "Is there a Joy Morning?" I asked a couple times until about four sections were just staring at me with this, "Who's the chic with the crazy hair?" (I have really curly hair, and I slept in the 3 hour car ride on the way to Richmond, so had crazy bed head at the arena), and then I left. :-(

Well it was good fun. I was sitting on the Andre-Steffi side when they won, and they kissed, and Andre patted her on the butt - haha. Very cute together.

kati830728
12-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Can you tell more about the match like what they said or so?
Thank you

yoguis
12-04-2005, 12:46 AM
any pictures?

JessCK
12-04-2005, 05:30 AM
I have some pictures but I'm not sure how to post them on this board. The event was great! I went with three friends....we had a lot of fun but it went by soooo fast. We drove up from North Carolina so we anticipated it for so long and then it was over :( Both Andre and Andy joked around quite a bit, but it was actually a lot more competitive than I thought it would be for a charity match. They both really wanted to win. Neither Andre or Andy looked injured. Andre played wonderfully and won 7-6, 6-4. He was interviewed at the end of the match and was very sweet as usual. One of my friends who came with me wouldnt shut up about what a nice backside Andre has, LOL. We have some pictures as evidence of this as we sat behind the players and had a hard time getting pics of their faces. My friend even started a Facebook (profile type website for college students around the country) group devoted to it. It was definitely a fun event.....glad I was able to go. I hope to see Andre play again before he retires...three times simply isn't enough.

Gigan
12-04-2005, 06:21 AM
any pictures?
we will post them soon... :wavey:

http://www.rocknracquets.com/2005%20NEW/player.jpg

LMason
12-04-2005, 06:25 AM
In the player intros, they did Anna, Andy, Steffi, and Andre in that order. When Andre came out, he hugged, kissed, and dipped Steffi. You can tell she's the camera-shy one of the bunch.

After the very first point, I have no idea what happened, but Steffi looked like she got hurt or had the sniffles or something. She turned to Andre, they were talking, kind of shrugging, and then she inexplicably ran off the court. The crowd actually started murmuring (the Oh My God, is she hurt? variety) and Roddick joked to Agassi "What'd you do?" But she came right back out. Later on, there was some confusion about the gender specific-no ad rule (man serves to man) and while Andre and Steffi were arguing where they should stand, Roddick walked off the court. She was more expressive than I've ever seen her. Twice she shanked a forehead and just let loose with this "waaah haa haa aahhhh!" scream.

Anna K's serve was embarassingly bad. You could tell the returns against her were of the "keep the ball in play" variety. But there were some really awesome points. My two favorite points in the mixed were:
1. There was one where Roddick and Steffi were just blasting the ball at each other. At the end of the point, Steffi and him were directly across each other at the net, and Andre poached and missed the volley, and then slammed his racket on the ground while Steffi shrieked. Of course, she picked up his racket for him.
2. During a rally, Steffi was in backcourt, Andre at the net, and Steffi's backhand went off of Andre's back and to the other side. The expressions of all four players were hilarious on that point. The crowd went "ooooh" and started laughing/clapping.

They won the match in the tiebreaker after it was tied 7-all. Steffi and Andre kissed a couple times, including their nice victory kiss. Annoyingly, the on-court interview wasn't broadcast to the fans, so we never heard Steffi speak. I was pissed about that since she was the main reason I bought the ticket in the first place.

The Andre-Andy match was surprisingly competitive for an exhibition. It was great to see such high-level tennis, although there were some real fun, exhibition moments. At one point, Roddick brought a kid onto the court to hit with Andre. THe kid would either hit the ball so hard it would fly into the stands over Andre's head, or dump it into the net. The two guys talked trash to one another. Andre made fun of Andy for losing the last two Wimbledon finals, and Andy yelled "Im so mad right now I dont even have a comeback." At another point, a fan yelled "Andy, I got your mojo right here." He hit the ball into his direction in the stands. When he changed sides, a fan yelled "Andy, your mojo is up here" to which he responded "That joke was already used over there." My seats were high up so I couldn't hear a lot of the witty banter. Next time, remind me to just suck it up and pay for the good seats. I bought tickets the first day they were on sale but you'd never know it from where I was sitting. I shelled out $50 for the Pam Shriver one in Baltimore featuring McEnroe, both Martina N and H, and Courier and those seats sucked (although all the players sign autograph afterwards so you can see them super upclose).

My pictures are okay, but let me first see if any official pictures go online. Since I was so high up, my digital zoom on my small Elph isn't all that great. You can definitely tell who the players are but there's no clear, fun picture.

LMason
12-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Someone posted in the Andy Roddick forum
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8967/20367vk.jpg

You can get more pics at newscom.com - they give you a password and guest pass so you can view more pictures

Gigan
12-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Someone posted in the Andy Roddick forum
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8967/20367vk.jpg

You can get more pics at newscom.com - they give you a password and guest pass so you can view more pictures
thanks for the nice picture
put next pix in relevant thread!

Oizo
12-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Whatta lovely picture :D