Shame on the USA Cable Network for pretending the Tursunov-Kuerten 5th set was live. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Shame on the USA Cable Network for pretending the Tursunov-Kuerten 5th set was live.

the cat
08-27-2003, 04:12 AM
I was wondering why Ted Robinson and John McEnroe weren't giving their viewers any fifth set score updates between Dmitry Tursunov and Gustavo Kuerten. :confused: Now I know why. They wanted to save the climax of the match for when the Roddick-Henman match was finished. But the USA Cable Network should not have pretended the match was live. Shame on them! :mad: And not giving the fifth set scores was irresponsible. :( Especially for people who don't have internet access and couldn't follow the scores on the official U.S. Open Website.

I heard Ted Robinson say Guga made what could be a costly mistake on an easy shot while serving at 4-3 30-love in the fifth set. But by then I knew Tursunov had won. And Robinson and McEnroe were wathcing the match on tape but acting as if it was live. And that bothered me. They should just have noted to their viewers that this match was recently concluded. In fact most networks would have included written text saying that this match was previously recorded. And then when the fifth set tiebreak came one of them noted that Guga was not a very good tiebreak player for such a good player. That was another hint that he would play a bad tiebreak. And he did. And that was another clue that the match was not live.

It was apparently a wild match with Guga getting upset with a fan and complaining to the chair umpire about the fan. That was perplexing. :confused:

ys
08-27-2003, 06:11 AM
That "costly" mistake was a long volley on Tursunov's passing shot. So, it was just a good passing shot, nothing to really talk about, a point, that you see plentu in every match. And before that , to break Tursunov, Guga hit three winners in a row, and each of them just clipped the line. You can call that lucky. Guga though really put Dima off balance with that fan episode, and mind you, Tursunov was leading 3:1 and serving at that point.
But, the main point is, Tursunov is a real deal, not a fluke.

the cat
08-27-2003, 01:16 PM
ys, what was with that episode between Guga and that Russian looking fan? ;) I bet he was yelling support in Russian to Dima! :D I couldn't believe Guga went over to the fan like that! :eek: You thought that was a ploy to rattle Tursunov?

Tipsarevic
08-27-2003, 01:20 PM
They did say "in a match just completed earlier....". So I don't think they pretended very well.

jmp
08-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I thought it was live because they cut into it during Roddick/Henman. It looked like such an exciting match that I'm glad they showed the last bit even if it was taped. They both played well. Tursunov has got game!! I hope we get to see more of him.

If anyone knows the details, I'd like to know what that fan did to get him kicked out. I've have NEVER seen a fan thrown out of a game before. I have seen some pretty bad behavior, though. It seemed like quite a few fans in the stands were fed up with the guy as much as Guga was.

the cat
08-27-2003, 09:48 PM
I didn't hear them say that, Tipsarevic. They didn't give any fifth set scores so I had to go to the U.S. Open website to follow the fifth set.

jmp, I haven't heard anything about the fan and what happend to him after Kuerten complained about him to the chair umpire. It was bizarre. :eek:

ys
08-28-2003, 01:47 PM
I've been on the Stadium, but I don't know exactly, what happened. According to one report, he was just too noisy after Guga's first serve fault. according to other reports, he repeatedly called Guga a goat.

the cat
08-28-2003, 03:52 PM
I doubt Guga would have become so upset over that. He's been a class act as much as he's been a fine tennis player! :) But something unnerved him.

jmp
08-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Thanks, ys.