Whats Your worst stroke? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Whats Your worst stroke?

AgassiDomination
10-03-2005, 11:37 PM
My backhand is my weakest side. :sad:

Anyone have tips for a good backhand? Oh yeah, I got a two hander bh.

Billabong
10-03-2005, 11:39 PM
My serve:p

Neely
10-03-2005, 11:41 PM
for me it would be forehand or backhand topspin; I usually don't play like that, I only use a bit topspin if my opponent gives my a slice to answer that stroke offensively
(or special strokes like backhand overhead... I hate being at the net and getting high balls or lobs to my backhand side)

Grinder
10-03-2005, 11:48 PM
I'd say my backhand is my weaker side, but I can play it consistently and place it well, my weakest stroke is probably my backhand volley.

Turkeyballs Paco
10-03-2005, 11:48 PM
My serve is too slow, only 121 mph :p

Crap - 2nd serves, volleys, backhand slice
Solid - topspin forehand, one hand backhand (with topspin), 1st serves.

Most people would probably think everything is crap in my game, but these are the areas that are such crap it's not funny.

El Legenda
10-03-2005, 11:49 PM
My right handed stoke is worst the my left, :aplot:

Phunkadelicious
10-03-2005, 11:49 PM
my backhand sucks, i really don't have one, I try to run around it as often as possible, but I can hit a backhand drop shot.

megadeth
10-04-2005, 12:09 AM
my second serve sucks. sometimes, i feel my second serve is like dementieva's :(

deliveryman
10-04-2005, 12:43 AM
a highball to my backhand side is defintely my weakest... i also have trouble with my overhead smashes.

my best shot would be a big looping forehand with a lot of topspin placed a lot of depth

Laura12
10-04-2005, 12:43 AM
My serve: ever since I injured my wrist I somehow can't hit serves anymore.
Oh and my backhand. It's not horrible but it could be better.

aam
10-04-2005, 06:20 AM
i'd say my volleys are probably the most inconsistent part of my game

LuckyAC
10-04-2005, 06:55 AM
Second serve. I can hit basically as high a percentage on my first serve, and with considerably more pace.

superpinkone37
10-04-2005, 07:07 AM
My volleys. I mean, I can put away high ones and stuff, but if they're hit low or something, forget about it. I cannot tell you how many volleys I stone right into the net lmao. And surprisingly, my forehand ones are worse than my backhand ones, I think lol

K-Dog
10-04-2005, 07:38 AM
I am horrible at putting away volley's with no pace on that aren't high enough to swing volley or overhead, especially on my backhand. My ad court second serve can be shakey, and my forehand can be horrible if I'm not timing the ball well.

~just an update. after long hours on the practice court, these problems are not issues for me anymore.~

robrulz5
06-14-2006, 05:43 AM
My backhand is my worst shot. The worst thing about it is when is starts to get worse during a match I tend to start slicing every time the ball comes to my backhand.

LaTenista
06-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Volleys. I have no touch. :o

Volley Art
06-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Forehand drop shot. I never hit it or practice it.

Hiromiku
06-17-2006, 10:21 AM
I've got a terrible backhand stroke, but my slice is very effective when I'm doing some counter punching...
I do serve and volleying though.

stebs
06-17-2006, 06:37 PM
First serve percentage is always too low. I never actually count but I'd guess it would usually be around 40% :o

revolution
06-25-2006, 01:55 AM
Backhand is weaker but I can hit a good one hander when I swing, normally for safety I use two hands.

my serve can be good when placed accurately, whilst I'm not too good at the net.

All the local courts are outdoor clay courts so I normally play better from the baseline :)

SuperStringer224
07-04-2006, 08:22 PM
My backhand is my weakest. I'm forced to revert to slicing a lot of the time. But I can really whip my forehand so I step around my backhand and hit inside out a lot.

Forever-Delayed
07-13-2006, 10:55 PM
I simply dont have a serve which has any pace on it at all. Although it is accurate, and i have a high first serve percentage, it is so much slower than everyone's elses that i lose serve more often than i hold. Then again, i make up for it by breaking serve just as much.

Stgobaiano
07-14-2006, 03:49 AM
mi backhand slice is horrible
my right strokes are very good and the flat strokes are my best shot, i dont play bad with top but slice is not very good
i have very good volley movility
my first serve is ok
my second is weak.
my style of play is like voltchkov fast flat strokes:P

physics
07-18-2006, 05:11 PM
volley...

zicofirol
07-18-2006, 07:35 PM
The overhead by far, its funny because I never practice them before matches because once they see me missing them they will use that during the game so I just avoid that lol.

This weekedn playing doubles they where just throwing me lobs I hit about 50% of them which is good for me, anyway knowing that I suck at that I just try to hit them in because I dont have any real control on them, so I hit my best smash of the day but with no control, it bounced and hit the player at the service line in the face :o I said sry but they where still mad, then I go tmad because they give me 20+ lobs knowing that I cant hit them so the probability that one will hit them is high.lmao.

After I won that match the next doubles match I went down to my regular 20% on lobs and I actually completely missed one :o . Lol

The wierd thing is my serve is above average to good yet I still cant hit an overhead. :mad:

Then the forehand is probably my weakest stroke because im so inconsistent. But the rest of my strokes depend on my movement if im moving well I will hit them well but if not I will have probles with all of them.

warmy
07-18-2006, 09:35 PM
...the rest of my strokes depend on my movement if im moving well I will hit them well but if not I will have probles with all of them.

Amen. I have lots of problems with my one-handed backhand and my volleys if i'm not moving or reacting well, I just don't get set up. With that said my serve is scary bad, I have no rhythm.

NyGeL
07-18-2006, 09:55 PM
2nd serve... I'm like Coria lol

NyGeL
07-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Anyone have tips for a good backhand? Oh yeah, I got a two hander bh.

I have a good 2h BH. Why? I used to play with both forehands while kid (left and right) and I'm still able to do so... so I give my BH a lot of power with my left hand. Push forward with your body while hitting, and do it the higher you can.

Always flex your knees and put your right foot 45° from your waist.

Kimmi
07-27-2006, 09:17 AM
actually slice, cause I never really learned in my lessons until now...

tennis lover
07-31-2006, 03:16 AM
My serve is terrible, it has absolutely no pace whatsoever. It's probably about 2mph or something! :lol:
My backhand is really terrible as well. My one-handed backhand is really inconsistent and wild, but I sometimes find a two-handed backhand awkward to hit. High balls to my backhand are even worse! :o
actually, pretty much my whole game is terrible! :rolleyes: I just have to hope it will improve.

Hawkman
07-31-2006, 10:11 PM
My second serve.

It is consistent; but sloooowwwwww. Like 70 mph. Horrible. It has a nice kick though.

andys_gurl
08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Probably my 2nd serve as its quite slow because i always make sure i get it in.
My forehands my strongest shot... i hit most of my winners off that side.
However i have a two handed backhand that is my most consitant shot.
My volleys are ok, but im not really a natural vollyer.

croman
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM
i have a crap of serve

El Legenda
08-03-2006, 03:45 AM
My right handed stoke is worst the my left, :aplot:

i guess nobody got that :lol:

mcpon
08-23-2006, 09:00 AM
My backhand, 1st & 2nd serves, lobs, slices, topspins, and sometimes my forehand all suck. I would put net game in there, but I don't have one.

Burrow
07-22-2007, 01:11 AM
dont have a glaring weakness...difficult to choose, they are all pretty equal. serve is best then depends sometimesm y forehand better than back hand and vice versa, then my volleying which has improved leaps and bounds.

Marek.
08-05-2007, 09:56 AM
^Same with me. Pretty much all of my shots are solid but there are times where they go off completely. For the first three or so months of the year my forehand was complete shit. I could hardly make it in so I just started moonballing it.:o Thankfully now it's back and is probably my best weapon.:D

As of now, I guess you could say my slice backhand isn't good but I'm able to hit flat or with topspin on that side anyway so it doesn't really matter.

orangettecoleman
08-05-2007, 10:11 AM
my serve is a complete abortion, and the more i practice it the worse it seems to get.

baghdatis
08-05-2007, 12:10 PM
for me it depends. The only shot that is very consistant for me is me bh slice. It is soo effective. For my fh, bh and serves I never know what I am going to have on that day! Yesturday in My Tourney my slics and volleys were great, serves were pretty average but my groundstrokes were fucked!
Today my groundstrokes, serves and my bh slices were beautiful, but my volleys were dispicable :mad:

Blue Heart24
08-05-2007, 07:49 PM
2nd serve and backhand :help:

GlennMirnyi
08-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Backhand right now.

Burrow
08-09-2007, 12:13 AM
my serve is a complete abortion, and the more i practice it the worse it seems to get.

:o too bad mate, maybe your practising the wrong technique, shouldnt be getting worse.

Snowwy
08-09-2007, 02:45 AM
Backhand right now.

Mine too, by far, it always gets worse as I play too.

ExcaliburII
08-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Before I couldnt put the forehand in for many continued balls, it was miss or hit, now i imporved, and hit the ball with tons of top with my forehand, very similar to andreev. My backhand was one of my best strokes always. Maybe my second serve continues to be my worst stroke, even though I improved it a lot.

schorsch
08-09-2007, 10:13 AM
def. my second serve and my forehand can go off, too.

baghdatis
08-11-2007, 12:29 AM
My worst shot by far actually is my overhead! lately I have been solid evrywhere appart from my overheads!

Kolya
08-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Serve.

LeChuck
08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
My 2nd serve (my 1st serve is pretty good), and overhead smashes.

Aerion
08-26-2007, 04:57 AM
doubles: forehand underspin volley...:mad: that's why I'm not good at doubles....

njnetswill
08-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Backhand overhead.

My second serve sucks too.

celia
08-28-2007, 03:36 AM
OK bad-rep me if you must but I happen to have a complete game. I do everything well. My problem is a lack of consistency. I do everything exceptionally well -- but I do not do so all the time. I allow some opponents to intimidate me and then I forget my own game. I lose when I cannot recover from this and get back on track. I win when I keep focused on how damn good I am. Word.

GlennMirnyi
08-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Mine too, by far, it always gets worse as I play too.

Mine is actually gettin' better. It's really streaky... one day I'll dominate with the backhand, the other I'll shank all to the bottom of the net.

Andres Guazzelli
08-30-2007, 02:11 PM
i have a crap of serve
Whaaat? A hrvat who doesn't serve!? That's unseen!!
You're a disgrace for the country! :D

Blue Heart24
08-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Whaaat? A hrvat who doesn't serve!? That's unseen!!
You're a disgrace for the country! :D

:lol: Not all Croats have a good serve! :lol:

I have a good first but my second is :o
You will have to serve great to beat Xristos :devil: but I doubt it :p

tennisgal_001
08-31-2007, 03:41 PM
My backhand (one-handed) down the line gives me a lot of trouble, I could probably hit it right 1/10 times it's ridiculous.

drf716
09-05-2007, 11:49 AM
OK bad-rep me if you must but I happen to have a complete game. I do everything well. My problem is a lack of consistency. I do everything exceptionally well -- but I do not do so all the time. I allow some opponents to intimidate me and then I forget my own game. I lose when I cannot recover from this and get back on track. I win when I keep focused on how damn good I am. Word.

can't blame you for your ego :p
hope i had your inside out forehand if it's really that great coz mine is all over the place.

mir
09-05-2007, 07:42 PM
My worst shot keeps changing. Used to be my back hand [1h] could only slice it, now I spin it a little and it got a lot better. Second serve sucks big time, I fear df's :scared: so I hit it to save :rolleyes: My first serve rules, if it could only be more consistent :awww:
Mostly my fh is good but there are days I just can't hit it good, on these days my bh is mostly top :shrug:
Overhead gives me no trouble thanks to my volleyball history.
Volley's are good but I'm often in doubt if or when to approach the net so I find myself midcourt and outplayed. :mad: Hate that!

NinaNina19
09-11-2007, 12:36 AM
i'd say my volleys are probably the most inconsistent part of my game

agree

çarlistonbiber
09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
absolutely i have probs with the high balls coming trough my backhand side.i use single hand backhand and i only can reduce thiss balls by slice.

ofey
09-27-2007, 02:45 AM
My forehand. I stupidly try and copy Edberg's strokes and it's next to impossible to get clean shots using his stroke method. Though on the flip side, I'm fairly proud of my backhand.

m0nk3ys1ms
09-30-2007, 06:55 PM
My worst stroke would definately be my one-handed backhand. I would committing so many unforced errors because of it so I switched back to a two-handed backhand and my number of unforced errors have dropped drastically.

rexman
10-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Second serve kills me. I can hit a very solid first serve, but the second serve is weak, and I'm a headcase prone to double-faulting. Then I start spinning in the first serve and it does not work out well at all.

There was a kid I played, and we were evenly matched basically everywhere but the serve. When we'd get into regular rallies, I probably won more than 50% of the points, no matter who was in control or attacking the net.

But he had a nice big serve and smacked the heck out of my weak serves. I lost 1-6 2-6. :(

leng jai
10-12-2007, 12:24 AM
My overhead smash is terrible, but I find this is a problematic shot for a lot of people at club level. Its funny cause 95% of pros seem to be able to smash it with super power and accuracy easily.

scarecrows
10-12-2007, 12:33 AM
there are days when my backhand is so clean and powerful but there are other days when I shank half of them

leng jai
10-12-2007, 07:47 AM
there are days when my backhand is so clean and powerful but there are other days when I shank half of them

Makes a lot of sense...if you're a single hander.

GlennMirnyi
10-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Makes a lot of sense...if you're a single hander.

Single-handers always have a day when they think "oh my I guess I'll just slice from now on".

leng jai
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Single-handers always have a day when they think "oh my I guess I'll just slice from now on".

Happens frequently to me. I like my backhand better but its just not as reliable as my forehand. I find that a low slice pretty much takes care of most club level players anyway.

Everytime I watch single handers play on clay I'm always like "how the fuck do they keep their backhand in play for like 10 shots in a row?"

Medina
11-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Forehand :tape:

GlennMirnyi
11-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Happens frequently to me. I like my backhand better but its just not as reliable as my forehand. I find that a low slice pretty much takes care of most club level players anyway.

Everytime I watch single handers play on clay I'm always like "how the fuck do they keep their backhand in play for like 10 shots in a row?"

And the good part of being a one-hander is exactly how much more natural the slice comes to us than to two-handers.

Yeah, when I'm able to hit more than 7-8 shots BH to BH I ask myself how I managed to do it (I play on clay almost always). :lol:

RickDaStick
11-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Definately the backhand these days. I use the one hander and its been really inconsistent so basically ive resorted to using the slice Gonzo style and because off this i have been going for a lot more with my forehand.

stebs
11-04-2007, 03:25 PM
And the good part of being a one-hander is exactly how much more natural the slice comes to us than to two-handers.

Yeah, when I'm able to hit more than 7-8 shots BH to BH I ask myself how I managed to do it (I play on clay almost always). :lol:

:lol:

I am lucky enough to have a one-handed BH as my stronger wing and I could keep it in play all day if that was the nature of my game but I can never go BH to BH for too long without teeing off up the line. Of course I am missing those shots more than I am making them as well. :o Still, I am playing for fun and I have more fun going for the shot and missing than I do grinding out points.

GlennMirnyi
11-04-2007, 03:53 PM
:lol:

I am lucky enough to have a one-handed BH as my stronger wing and I could keep it in play all day if that was the nature of my game but I can never go BH to BH for too long without teeing off up the line. Of course I am missing those shots more than I am making them as well. :o Still, I am playing for fun and I have more fun going for the shot and missing than I do grinding out points.

Yeah, me too. When I'm obliged to go BH to BH I either try to slice and close the net or run around the backhand and try to force a forehand winner somewhere. I just can't stand endless rallies.

Mike Kim
11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
My worst stroke is my serve, I struggle to keep it deep and also get a lot of pace off it. I very rarely hit aces, and I'm continually having to work hard on my service games. My main problem is the second serve, its terrible :lol:

Goldy
11-23-2007, 02:34 AM
I've got to say guys (and girls) the best tip i can give anyone on their strokes (esp backhand) is to work on their footwork.

Over the years of coaching and training that I have done with players of all levels, it is really obvious that the people that have good quick feet get into position sooner and better than those who have slow or lazy feet.

Think about it, how many times do you hit a good shot when you have had to move/run for the ball and how many times have you hit a duff shot when the ball has been coming straight too you?

Lazy feet means bad positioning so much so the ATP stats are that over 70% of the unforced errors on the tour are down to poor footwork - FACT!

I feel that all people would play better tennis at the beginning of their tennis carrers if the worked a bit on their footwork.

I feel so strong about this issue that I have written a special report about footwork at http://www.footwork4tennis.com check it out!

Jimnik
11-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Either my volleys or my overhead smash. Both are extremely dodgy.

Rogieva
11-24-2007, 12:31 AM
My smash. I'm okay if I let it bounce.

Aerion
11-24-2007, 01:58 AM
My volleys are worthless. They quickly find out if I'm at the net, all they have to do is hit it to me about three times and I'll mishit it. I guarantee..........:sad:

stebs
11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Second serve always bad and FH from deep. I like FH's inside the court where you can whip them to the corners and come to net but deep FH's I simply suck at, I put them too short and not enough spin.

Horatio Caine
11-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Serve.

I've had patellar tendonitis for 2 years (have yet to fully recover) and I've basically lost my serve, in the meantime. I'm now serving like Coria...can't get it into court, and have totally lost confidence in my knees and my ability (or lack of it) to get any serves in. :sobbing:

GlennMirnyi
11-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Second serve always bad and FH from deep. I like FH's inside the court where you can whip them to the corners and come to net but deep FH's I simply suck at, I put them too short and not enough spin.

Have you tried bending your knees to a really high degree and just unleash all your energy into the ball?

Kolya
11-28-2007, 12:48 AM
My volleys suck, Davydenko style!!!

Ophidian
01-11-2008, 01:41 AM
backhand are my worst but it since I went to a 2 hand backhand it's been a lot better.

HKz
02-03-2008, 06:38 AM
2nd serves. I have a decent kick serve but it just sits there and my opponent can easily take advantage if he sees it, so I try to mix up my second serves throwing in slices and some flats, but it drops my 2nd serve percentage. The worst is when I need the 2nd serve to stay in a game/set/match.

Bernard Black
02-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Smash - mediocre at best. I can't put them away with much power - bizarre since I have a relatively big serve, so I tend to just slice them into the space now. Annoys the hell out of my opponents who think I'm playing safe, but seriously, it's all I can do!

Backhand drive - similar to a number of posters here, I have an inconsistent single-hander. Great for passing shots, even better than my forehand...but useless in a baseline rally where I more often than not mis-time it if I go for it. Thank god I have a good slice!

akybo
03-10-2008, 06:56 PM
1)Forehand on high topspin balls,when I dont have time to take them before they jump too high.
2)Balls that are coming to slow and I begin to think a lot how should I hit it or where should I put it :) If it comes fast I have no problem as I dont have time to think.