Andy to play Mons! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy to play Mons!

Duncan
10-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Britain's Andy Murray has confirmed he will play in this week's Ethias Trophy in the Belgian city of Mons.
The world number 72 had said he was likely to skip the Challenger Tour event after reaching the Thailand Open final at the weekend.

But the 18-year-old has gone back on that decision and is due to open his campaign on Wednesday against Swiss player Ivo Heuberger, ranked 192nd.

Murray is the seventh seed but is the fourth highest ranked player in Mons.

Only the Belgian trio of Olivier and Christophe Rochus and Xavier Malisse, who Murray could face in the last eight, are rated above him by the ATP.

Must admit, i am pretty shocked he chose to play here after his exploits in Thailand!

But goooooooooo Andy!! :worship:

decrepitude
10-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Must admit, i am pretty shocked he chose to play here after his exploits in Thailand!

But goooooooooo Andy!! :worship:

He didn't have any choice, Duncan. He was committed to Mons and the rules don't allow him to play elsewhere, his only alternative was to take the week off.
He is likewise committed to challengers at Sacramento next week and Kolding the week after, so can't play in another ATP event until October 24th.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-04-2005, 02:21 PM
can't be!:(

decrepitude
10-04-2005, 03:51 PM
can't be!:(
Sorry. Is. He will have to play the challengers or have a rest and think about where he goes from here.

JuanRodriguez
10-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Murray will play his first match tomorrow.
There could be a possible quarter-final Murray vs. Malisse. Quite an exciting match IMO! :)

live-scores can be followed here: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=50204

musefanatic
10-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Good luck Andy!!!! ;) :)

Thanks for the link juanrodriguez :)

Raquel
10-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Good luck Andy :)

MrExcel
10-05-2005, 12:27 PM
He didn't have any choice, Duncan. He was committed to Mons and the rules don't allow him to play elsewhere, his only alternative was to take the week off.
He is likewise committed to challengers at Sacramento next week and Kolding the week after, so can't play in another ATP event until October 24th.

Are you sure about this? If your ranking is over 50 you can't play challengers, the only way to play is if the tournaments gives you a wildcard, as they have done with Olivier Rochus and Xavier Malisse this week in Mons. Imagine if Andy had made it into the Top 50 early in the year and he was committed to all these challenger events... if each tournament didn't give him a wildcard he wouldn't be able to play any tournaments for the rest of the year?!

Fee
10-05-2005, 05:59 PM
That's not true at all (and I've put a longer answer in the Autumn schedule fall). I see that you are new to MTF, if you have questions about ATP/ITF rules, there are plenty of people here who can give you knowledgeable answers but you shouldn't make incorrect statements that will confuse everyone even worse.

For now, the most basic information that everyone should know is that entries for ATP events are due 6 weeks in advance and entries for Challenger events are due 3 weeks in advance (so Andy didn't commit to the Mons Challenger 'early in the year').

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-05-2005, 06:19 PM
He's not new, it's AndyMurray, right-?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-05-2005, 06:33 PM
And Andy wins, 6-4 6-4. Could have been easier, though.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-05-2005, 06:34 PM
He'll play Carraz now, h2h 1-1, Andy defeated him in Newport but got defeated in Granby.

MrExcel
10-05-2005, 06:38 PM
That's not true at all (and I've put a longer answer in the Autumn schedule fall). I see that you are new to MTF, if you have questions about ATP/ITF rules, there are plenty of people here who can give you knowledgeable answers but you shouldn't make incorrect statements that will confuse everyone even worse.

For now, the most basic information that everyone should know is that entries for ATP events are due 6 weeks in advance and entries for Challenger events are due 3 weeks in advance (so Andy didn't commit to the Mons Challenger 'early in the year').

No I'm not new I just have a new name... And I'm terribly sorry... I certainly wasn't posting incorrect statements that would confuse everyone, I was ASKING, hence "Are you sure about this?"... I thought the idea of MTF was to ask questions and discuss things with other people... If everyone was shot down everytime they said something slightly wrong these forums wouldn't exist... There's no need to talk to people like that, especially if you think they are new.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Sam, :yeah:

You're Sam, right, I have terrible brain problems:D:scratch:

MrExcel
10-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Sam, :yeah:

You're Sam, right, I have terrible brain problems:D:scratch:

Yes that's right!

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-05-2005, 07:18 PM
:woohoo: :yeah: :worship: My brain worked:D

musefanatic
10-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Woohoo, go Andy!!! ;) :D Great scoreline!

Fee
10-05-2005, 07:49 PM
No I'm not new I just have a new name... And I'm terribly sorry... I certainly wasn't posting incorrect statements that would confuse everyone, I was ASKING, hence "Are you sure about this?"... I thought the idea of MTF was to ask questions and discuss things with other people... If everyone was shot down everytime they said something slightly wrong these forums wouldn't exist... There's no need to talk to people like that, especially if you think they are new.

Talk to people like what? Was my post really that harsh? I don't think it was, but if you are feeling 'shot down' then I apologize.

To clarify, Andy will be able to play ATP tournaments beginning the week of Oct 24th with either a wildcard or through qualifying. Don't be surprised if he takes a week and a half off after Mons because he needs a little bit of rest before playing the last two weeks of the season on the tour.

adee-gee
10-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Andy Murray reached the second round of the Ethias Trophy in Belgium with a 6-4 6-4 victory over Ivo Heuberger.

The 18-year-old Scot overcame tiredness following his first ATP Tour final in Bangkok on Sunday to see off the Swiss.

Murray, now 72nd in the rankings after losing to Roger Federer in Thailand, next plays Gregory Carraz of France.

His win in Mons was offset, however, by the news that he will have to qualify for next month's Madrid Masters after missing out on one of three wild cards.

They have been allocated to Spaniards Albert Costa and Fernando Verdasco with the third being selected by the readers of sports daily Marca.

They must decide between Alberto Martin, Nicolas Massu and James Blake.

Murray started brightly against Heuberger, racing into a 4-1 lead with breaks in the first and fifth games.

Heuberger responded to break back in the seventh but Murray had enough to close out the set without further alarm.

Heuberger was frustrated by a number of line calls and received a warning a from the umpire after letting his disappointment show.

He hit back to make the second set a tighter affair but could not get back on level terms after being broken in the fifth game.

Murray will play now due to face Carraz on Thursday evening.

The teenager is seeded seventh at the Challenger event but is now its the highest-ranked player after his performance in Thailand.

decrepitude
10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Andy Murray reached the second round of the Ethias Trophy in Belgium with a 6-4 6-4 victory over Ivo Heuberger.

The 18-year-old Scot overcame tiredness following his first ATP Tour final in Bangkok on Sunday to see off the Swiss.

Murray, now 72nd in the rankings after losing to Roger Federer in Thailand, next plays Gregory Carraz of France.

His win in Mons was offset, however, by the news that he will have to qualify for next month's Madrid Masters after missing out on one of three wild cards.

They have been allocated to Spaniards Albert Costa and Fernando Verdasco with the third being selected by the readers of sports daily Marca.

Murray started brightly against Heuberger, racing into a 4-1 lead with breaks in the first and fifth games.

Heuberger responded to break back in the seventh but Murray had enough to close out the set without further alarm.

Heuberger was frustrated by a number of line calls and received a warning a from the umpire after letting his disappointment show.

He hit back to make the second set a tighter affair but could not get back on level terms after being broken in the fifth game.

Murray will play now due to face Carraz on Thursday evening.

The teenager is seeded seventh at the Challenger event but is now its the highest-ranked player after his performance in Thailand.
Where on earth did you see this report? What a lot of mistakes!
Madrid Masters starts October 17th, not next month.
Even if Andy had been given a wildcard he could not have accepted it because he has entered for Kolding that week.
And he could not play in qualifying because it clashes with Sacramento, where he is also entered.
He cannot play a main tour event before October 24th.
And he is not the highest-ranked player in the tournament;
I'm pretty sure Malisse and both the Rochus brothers are ranked higher.

Duncan
10-05-2005, 11:46 PM
it was on the bbc website me's thinks!

tennisgirl19
10-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Congrats on Andy on your 1st round win :banana:

Good Luck against Carraz :bounce:!

decrepitude
10-06-2005, 09:01 AM
it was on the bbc website me's thinks!

So it is! Good grief, what are they playing at!

Robxon
10-06-2005, 02:35 PM
I read this article last night. It is a regular occurrence with the BBC. I emailed a complaint expressing my dissatisfaction, pointing out their basic errors. I also explained why Andy could not play in the qualies. (see decrepitone above)

I have just noticed that they have updated the article. see below...
Murray claims Challenger victory

Latest results

His win in Mons was offset by the news that he will have to qualify for this month's Madrid Masters after missing out on one of three wild cards.

Murray, seeded seventh, will play Carraz on Thursday evening.

Oh well. I suppose it was too much for them to understand it all!!!

decrepitude
10-06-2005, 03:49 PM
I emailed them too, Robxon. At least they took SOME notice.

Duncan
10-06-2005, 03:56 PM
So it is! Good grief, what are they playing at!

i have no idea, it always happens though! with all sports.. You would think they would learn their lesson or hire better journalists! :rolleyes:

adee-gee
10-06-2005, 06:21 PM
:lol: sorry for the dud article!

Raquel
10-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Good luck against Carraz, Andy ;)

Tennis_Mad
10-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Andy wins!

7-5.6-3

:worship: :bounce: :bigclap:

How much more does this move Murray up the rankings?

Duncan
10-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Andy wins 7-5, 6-3! :D

adee-gee
10-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Good job Andy :D

decrepitude
10-06-2005, 07:24 PM
:lol: sorry for the dud article!
Not your fault. We EXPECT the Beeb not to mess up like that; that is what annoyed me - people read what they say and believe them. Just look how many people STILL think Andy would be able to play in Madrid!

Lukey86
10-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Nice one andy!, keep the wins coming, so when is the next ATP event that he will probably play in?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Maybe Basel with a WC or qualifying.

decrepitude
10-07-2005, 12:10 AM
He definitely has a wildcard for Basel, and I can't see him turning it down!

tennisgirl19
10-07-2005, 02:31 AM
:woohoo: Andy!!

Good Luck tomorrow against Malisse :banana:

Scotso
10-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Andy is on an amazing run. I'd say top 20 next year is a very realistic goal for him.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Main goal is to come into Top50 to play on a regular basis in ATP Tour events. He could get there by end of the year. And the, who knows, may he'll be even higher ranked.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Andy retired at 5-7 0-1

He served for the set at 5-3:rolleyes:

tennisgirl19
10-07-2005, 09:33 PM
:sad: First Richard losses (and is injured), and now this.

Do you know why he retired? :sad:

evanzo
10-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Could Andy now play the Madrid qualifiying tournament?

Tennis_Mad
10-07-2005, 10:09 PM
:sad: First Richard losses (and is injured), and now this.

Do you know why he retired? :sad:

Hamstring.

musefanatic
10-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Oh no, poor andy :bigcry: Hope it gets better soon. :)

ClaycourtaZzZz.
10-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Could Andy now play the Madrid qualifiying tournament?

No, he entered Kolding the week Madrid is.

tennisgirl19
10-08-2005, 04:19 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4321090.stm

A bit on his injury :sad: