Seb and davis cup.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Seb and davis cup....

Marine
08-26-2003, 08:02 AM
Seb said in l'equipe yesterday that it's possible he doesn't play davis cup the next year. He's thinking of it, even if nothing is sure !!!
IN 2004, his priorities will be Olympic Games in Athens (cos he deid'nt play in Sydney), and the big tournments.
Moreover, he said in 2002/2003, he injured during davis cup, so he wants not taking risks in 2004.

"j4envisage une possible impasse, mais rien n'est encore décidé, on verra à la fin de la saison. Je n'ai pas fait les JO en 2000, et j'ai envie de bien y jouer en 2004. En plus, ça fait 2 ans de suite que ma préparation pour RG est perturbée par une blessure contactée en coupe davis. C'est peyt-etre une coincidence, mais le 2ème tour (fin mars, debut avril), juste apres key biscayne, est très mal placé pour moi, il empeche de se reposer avant d'attaquer une bonne préparation pour la terre battue. Donc, l'an prochain, , quand je ferai mon calendrier, mes objectifs pricipaux seront les JO et les tournois du grand chelem".

...no comment :confused:

Secondly, he has troubles with ATP, who refuses him to exchange Tokyo tournament (where he is designed) against the open de moselle, scheduled the same week, beginning october.
Sebastien is convinced that this banning is due to his refusal to join to threats of boycott of the grand slams, he finds their behaviour is choking.

...I agree with Seb.

Lindsayfan
08-26-2003, 08:12 AM
:eek: :rolleyes:

esther
08-27-2003, 03:38 AM
whhhhhhhattt...?!!!
coming from the person who was condemning that soccer guy remember last year who refused to play for france or something...and now he's doing the same thing!!!

i thought Dc meant the world to him but i guess...i dunno it must have been something he's been thinking a lot about or he wouldnt have said it...

we'll see i guess...very weird

sebgrosfan
08-28-2003, 04:54 PM
About the DC, that seems totally fair to me. DC is not an obligation, right? Agassi and Sampras hardly ever played DC in recent years. I always thought of it as an honor and a service to play DC but definitely not an obligation. And seeing that Seb has physical problems, I would understand that he would like to focus on his ranking and individual career (incl. Olympic Games --> boring!!) for a year and see if he can get everything out of that without risking injuries in the DC.

But I don't really understand the ATP concerning slams argument. Is he being held to the Tokyo tournament because he refuses to boycott Grand Slams or becauses he refuses not to boycott Grand Slams?? I don't get it... :confused: :retard: :scratch:

Marine
08-28-2003, 05:49 PM
because he refuses not to boycott Grand Slams !!

In fact, ATP fights with the 4 grand slams, who are independant of atp.
ATP want the players sign a petition for the boycott of grand slams if these major tournaments don't increase their prize moneys, etc...
Very complex...
But the majority of the french players refused to sign the petition, and agree with the french federation, whom roland garros is dependant.

Oh !! I explained myself very bad, moreover , with my pathetic english... sorry !

Lindsayfan
08-28-2003, 11:47 PM
sebgrosfan,you have to consider that DC is very important in france,it's televised by national tv (instead slams arent) and they get big titles on newspapers and on tv everyone talks about them.it's quite different with Usa where no one cares about it! DC and Roland Garros are basically the only 2 events who put french players in the spotlight and everyone in france will always remember that france won DC in 2001 and escude was the hero vs australia etc..instead ppl dont know how many tourneys escude or clement won or what atp event there is this week etc.
i was in france for the semifinal france vs usa,and i can tell u that in paris that day everyone was talking bout it and everyone was crazy for them.
DC and RG r really the only things french media and french ppl care about!

esther
08-29-2003, 03:18 AM
but seb has talked to Guy and the FFT about it i'm assuming? i wonder what they had to say about it?!!!! i dunno but if he does not get *interrupted* by DC next year it will be interesting to see if he actually does get interupted by injuries as well or not...

about the whole ATP making him play touraments...he had that problem with that other tournament before Wimby remember that he lost purposely first round...if the atp realises that he will probably just do the same thing if he plays Japan they should just let him go back to metz and play where he wants, properly!!

sebgrosfan
08-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Well, I'm happy Seb refuses to boycott the slams because, in my opinion, they're the best thing in the tennis year and boycotting them over money is friggin sacrilegious...

Andi
09-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Hi Marine, thanks so much for writing out the french from l'equipe. I can understand written french fine but its having access to it! Any more articles are gratefully accepted!

Marine
09-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Happy to see u here, andi !
If u want to ask something about seb, Esther is the good person, she knows all about him :) ...and she is australian, so, u'll understand better than me... :rolleyes:

Vale can help u too...

Have fun at atpworld !

esther
09-02-2003, 02:30 AM
lol marine- you know as much as i do!!!
newayz welcome andi! where are you from?

Andi
09-05-2003, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome - please don't think its an insult if I don't reply...I'll mostly check the official web site for any news...
In answer to your question Esther I live in England, about an hour out of London..I'm curious as to where you live too - I had a year travelling around Australia...

esther
09-05-2003, 05:47 AM
i'm from Melbourne...did you come to Melbourne?? Best city in Australia by FAR, dont you think?!! ;)
you had a year travelling around Australia?! That's really cool...what did you do here?