Natural Gut Question [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Natural Gut Question

Soonerfan1590
10-01-2005, 06:05 AM
Hi, latley i have been considering using a natural gut string, but b/c of the price, i have decided 2 use a hybrid. Can someone recomend a string that i can use w/ natural gut so that it can last. Also, i was thinking about stringing the gut string on the crosses b/c i rarely break the cross strings, is this a good idea?

Jon45189
07-23-2006, 06:22 AM
I use a Babolat natural gut in the crosses and Babolat hurricane strings as mains. Works fine. Strings are still good after two months use.

JustmeUK
11-25-2006, 01:25 PM
the mains are the ones that determine the primary characteristics of the string bed so if u're using gut then the idea would be to string them as mains so u get the maximum benefit from it short of a full gut job. the only reason to string gut crosses would be if u wanted to soften a very stiff string like kevlar or polyester mains.

if u're using gut for playability and feel then u're better off stringing them as mains. use the crosses to tweak the gut mains. for example if u want an even softer feel use multifilament crosses. or if you want a stiffer stringbed use polyester crosses. I personally use any cheap monofilament synth gut with gut mains. the only thing I make sure is they have a similar or smaller gauge. I do carry 1/2 rackets strung with polyester crosses for the days where I want a little more stiffness and control over my shots.

sodman12
12-01-2006, 02:28 PM
If you hit hard and break strings a lot then do not string them in the mains. It might make them play better but they will break very fast if you string them in the mains.

But if you only break synthetic gut maby once every 2 months then it might be worth it to string with the gut in the mains.

I would recomend stringing with gut in the mains and then gut in the crosses and see if the extra duribility you gain with having them in the crosses is worth the decline in playability.

Also you might find that you dont even like natural gut. Ive tried it and i really dont even like it and i play college tennis.

dannysspieler85
02-05-2007, 09:39 AM
i think natural guts r not worth buying it. the synthetic guts r as good (or nearly as good) as the natural guts. if seriously want to use natural gut, u have to take a lot of care on them (no humidity, no temperature changes, cleaning, ...).
the only reason for buying a natural guts is if u have some elbow problems or something like that.
if not... forget them.

bonzile
08-25-2009, 03:40 AM
natural gut is surely worth it. Its only an additional 20 dollars, for the best string in the world. As long as you string around 8 rackets you should be fine financially