Agassi pulls out of Toronto tournament!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi pulls out of Toronto tournament!!!

Jessi
07-29-2002, 05:41 AM
from bbc.co.uk:

Andre Agassi has pulled out of the ATP Canadian Masters due to a lower back and right hip injury.

Agassi made the announcement just hours after his 6-2 6-4 win over Jan- Michael Gambill at the Mercedes-Benz Cup - his fourth title of the season.

Agassi said: "I have had success at the events in Canada before and I regret not being able to take part this year."

King Aaron
07-29-2002, 08:37 AM
:eek: :eek:

harry_potter
07-29-2002, 08:39 AM
:sad: :( :eek: :confused:

lin
07-29-2002, 08:47 AM
So who will replace Agassi's spot as #17 seed in the draw?Pavel or El Aynaoui?

I hope it's Pavel,so Guga's draw will be easier ;) .

also Alex Corretja withdrew :( :sad:

TheBoiledEgg
07-29-2002, 09:05 AM
Younes El Ayanoui should become the 17th seed

Andre would have played if this was Cincinatti you can be assured off

Feel sorry for Andre ....... never in a million years
he has Steffi :p

TheBoiledEgg
07-29-2002, 09:09 AM
ermmmmmmmmm LL Kristian Pless takes Andre's place in MD

ATP rules are :rolleyes:

lin
07-29-2002, 09:19 AM
:rolleyes: :fiery:

at least good luck Kristian :)

Layla
07-29-2002, 09:29 AM
Andre keeps doing that. :rolleyes: He pulled out of Hamburg as well, after winning Rome. I guess he doesn't feel the need to play many tournaments, because he keeps winning those he does enter. Whatever, Andre.

tennischick
07-29-2002, 10:57 AM
i agree Layla except that i think that it's bec he's won Toronto before (as he had won Hamburg before but not Rome),so he's less motivated to go thru the grind of playing there when he can just rest up for the week and stay with his wife and son. i think too that Andre is trying to be smart about his age and his schedule. at 32, it's time to be honest about the fact that he's no youngster and he has to cut back on the playing and shoot for a more intelligent schedule. there's a lot of Brad's influence left in him. i can live with that.

Magnus's #1 Fan
07-29-2002, 10:58 AM
Whatever... :rolleyes: He did pulled out of Montreal last year after won a title in Los Angeles!! :rolleyes:

tennischick
07-29-2002, 11:06 AM
i'm not making excuses for him Magnus. i'm just saying that the guy is getting old and this may be why he did it. he could have done like the Potato and called in a strange virus or a stomach ailment or an diagnosed respiratory problem...or...but he didn't. he just said he's not playing. that's what he said after Rome too. i like the honesty myself.

what this means as a fan as is that's hard to rely on Agassi's appearance at a tourny. that is what sucks.

hey Egg, why do you think he would have shown up in Cincy?

Layla
07-29-2002, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I agree with you tennischick. He does need to be smart about it and protect his health. But this is his second Masters, and they're compulsory. Wouldn't he rather cut down on regular tourneys? Masters bring more points and more attention. :confused:

p.s. His fans should be happy he's still playing and winning at 32. :eek:

Schetti
07-29-2002, 11:26 AM
This is so unfair, I am really annoyed at him, I wanted to see him play live, and I really hope Safin doesn't play the night session now tomorrow, cos I was guessing at Roddick and Agassi, and no way am I sitting watching Roddick.

Berlin_Calling
07-29-2002, 01:19 PM
No andre........:sad:

Dissident
07-29-2002, 01:58 PM
What tennischick says makes sense. But he had won LA before too, so... Maybe he should play the big ones and sit for the small ones... Oh well.

Daniel
07-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Get well Andre :) :)

christinaE
07-29-2002, 04:28 PM
Maybe he has realised that he can't play 3 weeks in a row. I am sure he will be fit and healthy next week for Cincy.

And I bet the appearance money in LA is WAY more than the prizemoney in Toronto - or why should he bother about this little LA tournament??

per4ever
07-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Agassi is a very smart player...I'm sure he knows what he's doing :)

Goonergal
07-29-2002, 06:27 PM
Agassi fined $40,000 for late withdrawal

TORONTO (Reuters) - Andre Agassi has been fined $40,000 by the ATP Tour for his late withdrawal from the Canada Tennis Masters due to injury.

Citing a lower back and hip injury, seventh seed Agassi informed Tennis Canada officials late Sunday evening that he would not be playing

Just hours earlier he had collected his fourth title of the season with 6-2 6-4 win over Jan-Michael Gambill at the Mercedes-Benz Cup.

Agassi, a three-time winner of the Canada Masters, earned $51,000 for his victory but will only net $11,000 after the fine.

Lucky loser Kristian Pless of Denmark takes the 32-year-old American's place in the draw.

the cat
07-29-2002, 06:51 PM
If Agassi is so injured ;) how can he lose only 6 games in a final? :confused: I'm getting tired of his act! :mad:

What TC, no one else on the tour has kids? Andrei Pavel plays everywhere. And he has 2 children. It's time for the ATP to start suspending players for continually pulling out tournaments they are commited to. Andre's injuries are obviously bogus. Agassi's behaviour is a disgrace! :fiery: And he hurts the tournamnets he pulls out of, because he sells more tickets than anyone else! :eek: Maybe the ATP will wake up and do something about an embarrassing situation.

And TC, what is Agassi tired of? Playing 15 tournaments a year? Wow! That's so tough! Flying around on his own private jet? And he never even plays doubles. Poor Andre! Didn't Rod Laver and the players from the 1960's and 1970's play 30 or so tournaments a year? I think they did.

I can't imagine being a big Agassi fan, and paying top dollar for the tickets, and then he all of a sudden decides he doesn't want to go all the way to Totonto to play. What, is Toronto in Siberia? :confused:

P.S. - I know Agassi is basically a good person at heart. But I'm a huge tennis fan at heart. And it hurts to see an all time great abuse the system the way he does. The ATP has to do something about it. But what?

TheBoiledEgg
07-29-2002, 07:04 PM
Yes Cinci is an American event and he would have played that.

only if Steffi was in labour would he have withdrawn

he got fined $40K,

thats nothing, should have taken 50% of his ranking points away as its not the 1st time he has done it in 2002

the cat
07-29-2002, 07:08 PM
I totally agree with you, Eggy! I think you should be the man who runs the ATP! :D

But Eggy, since the advent of ATP World, the WTA World's Russian Roulette forum has slowed down to a crawl. And that makes me very unhappy! :(

Dissident
07-29-2002, 10:16 PM
I heard he got a 80K fine because he did that already before (Hamburg this year). Is that right??? :confused:

TennisHack
07-29-2002, 10:27 PM
Article from Yahoo!

Agassi fined $80,000 for withdrawing from Toronto tournament

July 29, 2002

TORONTO (AP) -- Andre Agassi was fined $80,000 by the ATP Tour for his late withdrawal from a Tennis Masters Series tournament that opened Monday.

The penalty is twice what it otherwise would be because it's Agassi's second late pullout this year. He was fined $40,000 for skipping a Tennis Masters Series event in Hamburg, Germany, in May.

Agassi said Sunday he wouldn't play in the Toronto tournament, citing a lower back and hip injury. He showed no signs of being hurt while beating Jan-Michael Gambill 6-2, 6-4 Sunday in the final of the Mercedes-Benz Cup in Los Angeles.

Agassi won $51,500 for winning that tournament.

He would have been seeded seventh in the Toronto event and was scheduled to play wild-card entry Daniel Nestor of Canada in the first round Tuesday.

"He's looking at himself and the U.S. Open,'' Nestor said. "Obviously, he just wants to be ready for that. This tournament doesn't fit into his plans.''

Yeah, I'm sure Nestor is broken up about it. Now he has a chance to get to the second round! ;)

Chloe le Bopper
07-29-2002, 10:45 PM
Oh well , if he doesn't want to play, he shouldn't have to.

THis just means my freind won't drag me to his match now.

the cat
07-30-2002, 12:14 AM
LOL @ Becca! :p You mean Andre can take his ball and go home if he wants to? :confused: Well, I guess that's what he did. But commitment, integrity and honesty should play a role in there somewhere. But it didn't.

And Becca, I guess it isn't okay for him to say "forget about it" to Canada. Otherwise the ATP wouldn't have acted so swiftly to fine him. You can bet the ATP is embarrassed at another tournament tank job by Agassi, just because he didn't want to go to Toronto at the last minute. Let's see, Agassi wouldn't have played until Wednesday. Tuesday at the earliest. But that's asking alot of a rich tennis player to take his private jet from Los Angeles on Sunday to Toronto by early Monday morning at the latest, and be ready to play by Wednesday! ;)

The bottom line is this: Agassi is making a mockery of the ATP and the tournament directors who count on him to sell the tickets and fulfill his committments! :mad: Unfortunately Andre doesn't always fulfill his committments. And tennis fans lose out when he doesn't. But what can the ATP do about this? Not much. :(

Chloe le Bopper
07-30-2002, 01:07 AM
Ferrero played a 5 set final sunday, lost, and still show up to play tomorrow.

Agassi would have played Tuesday I think, but I'm not sure.

Wed. is second round, so no later that Tues.

The point is, I'd rather put my energy into the guy who showed up, and not the one who didnt.

Lots of people wanted to see him, and an dissapointed, but what can you do.

Chloe le Bopper
07-30-2002, 01:08 AM
God that post was so awful, I dont have the energy to edit it all.

You get the idea..

the cat
07-30-2002, 02:05 AM
Your post was fine, Becca!

Pea
07-30-2002, 02:11 AM
He was scared because it is a much tougher field.

AtPGiRL
07-30-2002, 02:20 AM
Yaaaaay!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BUH BYE GAGASSI! :wavey:

tennischick
07-30-2002, 02:40 AM
Christina do you know how much Andre got as an appearance fee or are you just guessing? :confused:

Egg i think it's unfair to say that Andre would play the American tourny and ignore the non-American. this is the same Andre who bailed out in the first round of Atlanta last year for crying out flipping loud. i don't think that Andre is so pro-American that it makes a diff. he needs the rest. he's getting old. and his new pattern seems to be to take the week off after a win.

but my open question is: how come he was fined and Lleyton wasn't? :confused: and if he brings in a medical, does the fine stand?

and did Roddick ever have to pay that $20,000. late withdrawal fee from earlier this year?

TheBoiledEgg
07-30-2002, 03:06 AM
Andre has a habit of always withdrawing

Atlanta doesn't really matter thats a mickey mouse event

I guess he didn't want the Canadian stamp in his passport incase the immigration officials looked at him funny :D

Anne K
07-30-2002, 10:33 PM
Boy, there sure are a lot of Agassi haters around here, huh? :(
Now, I'm not saying Andre's a saint and has never done this sort of thing before, 'cause he has. But in the last couple of years he's
done it sort of for "preventative maintainance", I think. Look at the facts: Andre's 32 years old. He just won 5 matches over a period of 6 days. Sure, a player like JCF can play in a final and be fresh enough to play in another tournament 2 days later. HELLO-
JCF is only 10 years younger than Andre! In fact, Andre DID play
in both the LA and Canadian tourneys last year--he won LA and
then went to Montreal where he played terribly and lost to Ivan L.
Maybe, just maybe, this is the reason Andre bowed out of this tourney--he knows he doesn't have the freshness anymore to play well in back to back tournaments. And I don't notice people
villifying Alex Corretja, who did basically the same thing--won a
tournament and then pulled out of the next. He was supposedly
injured as well, but that didn't keep him from winning on Sunday,
did it? Both Andre and Alex are trying to stay fit for the last slam of the year, I think. I just wish some posters would give Andre the benefit of the doubt, instead of condemning him.

tennischick
07-31-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
Andre has a habit of always withdrawing

Atlanta doesn't really matter thats a mickey mouse event

I guess he didn't want the Canadian stamp in his passport incase the immigration officials looked at him funny :D

yes he does...and it sucks, and i have no problem with the fine...

yes it is...but the size of the event is irrelevant...

no, the real reason is that Steffi told him that she couldn't handle him saying "ey?". next thing you know, Jaden would be saying it too. what with his mohawk and all...;) ;)

dbc
07-31-2002, 01:35 PM
Anne K: How right you are. Andre knows that at 32 he has to pace himself. JCF is much younger & Corretja who played against him also withdrew but he's not getting any flack.
Feel that to keep as much at the top as possible it is difficult for AA to play 2 tourneys in a row when he wins the 1st one. When Connors was playing v. few in his 30's no-one criticised him, they just how great it was he kept on playing when all his contemporaries had retired.
Would people prefer it if he did a chang played loads of t'ments & got knocked out in the 1st or 2nd rd. This way he can give his best when he does play.

irma
08-01-2002, 12:46 PM
When Connors was playing v. few in his 30's no-one criticised him, they just how great it was he kept on playing when all his contemporaries had retired.

I think a reason why andre doesn't get that much space in this from some is that he also did this when he was considered a young chicken :D
andre always went his own ways and not everybody appreciated that! :D