Andy's Ranking (points, stats, updates, etc.)! Current Ranking: Entry: 3, Race: 3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy's Ranking (points, stats, updates, etc.)! Current Ranking: Entry: 3, Race: 3

Deboogle!.
09-25-2005, 11:55 PM
I hate posting rankings stuff in other threads - sometimes in the current tourney thread or the articles thread or whatever. so now there is a thread just for rankings updates and discussion :D (and if someone has some kind of idea for a cooler title let me know :p)

Anyway, Andy's currently #3 by a mere 40 points. He'll lose 10 (I think) points for not defending his Bangkok final (that 5th result will be replaced by the Memphis semi from this year). So since Hewitt is playing Bangkok this year, he only has to make the QF to overtake Andy. Not much diff. between 3 and 4 and Andy should be pretty safe at 4 since Marat's just had surgery...

PinkFeatherBoa
09-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Good idea for a thread. I like how you've put his current rank in the thread title, too. :yeah:

andyroxmysox12191
09-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Deb you even edit the thread title in like a minute before everyone reads it.
I think you should go to edit anonymous.

but good idea!

Deboogle!.
09-26-2005, 12:04 AM
The only thing I edited was putting in the current rank b/c I thought of it and thought it would be helpful lol. I didn't *change* the title though :ras:

aceit
09-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Nice idea Deb.

It's almost as cool as your av.

blosson
09-26-2005, 12:26 AM
What about "Andy's favourite position in BED and ATP"

Golfnduck
09-26-2005, 12:52 AM
He should gain some points though if he plays in the two Masters Series events. Hopefully he plays well at Lyon too.

Deboogle!.
09-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Well yes he can gain points there - more than Lleyton (lleyton made the QF at Paris, andy only won 1 match)..... this is the time of the year that the race starts to become more useful, too.

Jennay
09-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Yay Debbles!
What about "Andy's favourite position in BED and ATP"
:haha: :haha:

Edit: I suppose one of these in Mardy's forum would be bad.. down.. down.. down.. :sad:

andyroxmysox12191
09-26-2005, 01:10 AM
aww :hug: sadly yes :( for now at least! there's still the future

Carito_90
09-26-2005, 01:26 AM
Great idea for a thread, Debs :)

Noelle
09-26-2005, 03:12 AM
I want Andy to end the year #2. Any chance of that still happening? :sad:

Deboogle!.
09-26-2005, 03:18 AM
ummmm if he wins Paris and Madrid and Rafa loses in the first round in both and he also goes way further at Shanghai? lol....

technically mathematically possible but HIGHLY unlikely.

snaillyyy
09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
So ok I'm too tired to really think hard about it, but Hewitt pulling out of Thailand before his QF match still means he passes Andy this week right?

nobama
09-30-2005, 01:48 PM
I posted this in a different thread, but when does Andy officially qualify for TMC? It's the top 7 as of Nov 7th. I can't see Andy falling out of the top 7 in the next month.

Noelle
09-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Well, that's what we hope for, mirkaland. :p

Deboogle!.
09-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Yes Carole, Hewitt will pass Andy but it'll still be just by a few points.... but Hewitt isn't playing Paris I don't think, and he has more points to defend there... so yea it'll be back and forth, but Andy could be #3 going into the Masters Cup.

Mirkaland, they wait to announce them until they become mathematically certain to qualify. Technically there are probably a few people who could mathematically bump Andy out. But realistically, he will almost surely qualify.

renee_chin
09-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Boy, do I love mathematically and technically... :p

"Andy's current stock-market value"? :D

3rd or 4th isn't that much of a difference, as far as seeding goes... :o Are we all looking forward to a better next year?! :)

Zoeeee
09-30-2005, 06:40 PM
I have this theory on Andy's rankings. When he was 21 he was number 1, when he was 22 he was #2, now he;s 23.. #3. Thats my theory anyway...

Lets hope he doesn't get any older!

nobama
09-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Yes Carole, Hewitt will pass Andy but it'll still be just by a few points.... but Hewitt isn't playing Paris I don't think, and he has more points to defend there... so yea it'll be back and forth, but Andy could be #3 going into the Masters Cup.

Mirkaland, they wait to announce them until they become mathematically certain to qualify. Technically there are probably a few people who could mathematically bump Andy out. But realistically, he will almost surely qualify.Sorry for sounding stupid, but how did Safin become mathematically certain? Just by winning AO? You don't automatically qualify just by winning a GS do you?

Deboogle!.
09-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Sorry for sounding stupid, but how did Safin become mathematically certain? Just by winning AO? You don't automatically qualify just by winning a GS do you?Well, you automatically qualify if you win a slam and finish in the top 20, so they must have done the math and figured that he is a mathematical certainty to be in the top 20 by the cutoff date.

Noelle
10-01-2005, 11:01 AM
I have this theory on Andy's rankings. When he was 21 he was number 1, when he was 22 he was #2, now he;s 23.. #3. Thats my theory anyway...

:eek: :bolt:

if he doesn't get any older, that means he's dead... :sad:

Black Adam
10-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I hope Andy wins LYON and gets that number 3 ranking back.
What is this story of Lleyton not playing Paris? IS he playing Madrid :confused:

Zoeeee
10-01-2005, 01:23 PM
:eek: :bolt:

if he doesn't get any older, that means he's dead... :sad:

oops.. i didn't mean that!

allanah
10-01-2005, 01:37 PM

That's hilarious! :haha: :haha:

zoltan83
10-01-2005, 01:42 PM

According to your theory, there is still hope that Andy becomes again #1 when he will be 31 :p :banana:

surfpinky
10-01-2005, 03:46 PM
According to your theory, there is still hope that Andy becomes again #1 when he will be 31 :p :banana:
hahhaha
vamos 31!

surfpinky
10-01-2005, 03:48 PM
I hope Andy wins LYON and gets that number 3 ranking back.
What is this story of Lleyton not playing Paris? IS he playing Madrid :confused:
I don't know :scratch:
he said he wasn't playing at all, only the TMC in china.

Deboogle!.
10-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Well he's hurt now, so he's not playing Tokyo and is defending Semifinal points from last year, so andy should be #3 after Tokyo next week since he doesn't defend anything for a while.

surfpinky
10-01-2005, 04:20 PM
pffffffffft he hurts himself to have an excuse for not playing :]

athena_wu
10-01-2005, 06:48 PM
I believe his ranking now is safe to come to Shanghai.

Waiting for him for almost 3 years. Now in Shanghai, I can see many TMC adv features Roger, Andy, Hewitt, Nadal and Marat. Cannot wait to see them here. :wavey:

zoltan83
10-02-2005, 12:18 AM
hahhaha
vamos 31!
or :scared: the other possibility...he will be #11 :sad:

Deboogle!.
10-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Andy's now down to 4, by the slimmest of margins - 10 pts. He should be back up to #3 next week b/c Hewitt's not defending SF points in Tokyo and he doesn't have enough optionals.

Marat is supposedly not defending Madrid so he'll drop a ton of points and be out of the picture in terms of bothering Andy in the rankings for a while. So he really should be ok to end the year top 4.

Zoeeee
10-03-2005, 05:39 PM

Or 11... ok.. number 1 :-D

tangerine_dream
10-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Great idea for a thread Deb. :D I want to use this space to keep track of Andy's facts/figures/records as well. I'm sick of having to look in several different places for information. This way we can have it all in one thread.

RODDICK RECORDS
- 19-year-old Andy Roddick became the youngest man to reach the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open since Andre Agassi in 1988 with a 6-2, 6-2, 6-4 drubbing of Tommy Robredo of Spain.
- In 2001, he became the youngest player to end the year in the ATP Top 20.
- In 2003, he became the youngest American player to end the year as World No. 1.
- At 21, Roddick was the second-youngest player to finish a year atop the ATP Tour computer rankings.
- Made biggest jump to No. 1 from previous year, improving from No. 10
- Only player during year to reach SF or better at three of four Grand Slam tournaments and captured first Slam title at US Open.
- Andy's match with El Aynaoui at the Australian Open was a five hour marathon...The fifth set was longest in games in history of Grand Slam play.
- Andy became only the second player to ever host "Saturday Night Live" (Chris Evert was the first)
- Year-end stats: Compiled consistent records on all surfaces -- 44-10 on hard, 12-6 on clay, 10-1 on grass and 6-2 on carpet...Led ATP circuit in four (of six) service categories -- aces (989), 1st serve points won (81 percent), service games won (91%) and break points saved (69%)...Finished tied No. 2 in 2nd serve points won (59 percent)...Also played and won most tie-breaks, compiling a 36-21 mark
- In 2004, Roddick set the world record for the fastest serve: 246.2 km/h (153.5 mph) during a straight-set victory over Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan in the quarter-finals of the Queens Club grass-court tournament.
- Andy holds the record for fastest serve ever in Davis Cup history: 155.0 mph (249.4 km/h) (USA vs Sweden)
- On August 31 2004, he hit the fastest serve in US Open history: 244 km/h (152 mph).
- He finished 2004 ranked as the world's No. 2, the USA's No. 1, and the player with the most aces (he hit 1017 of them in 2004).
- Andy became the first player to win the SAP Open in San José, California event in consecutive years since Mark Philippoussis in 1999 and 2000.
- Andy has made a record five straight appearance in the US Men's Clay Court Championships final, the longest streak on the ATP tour since Russia's Yevgeny Kafelnikov reached the title match at Moscow from 1996-01, winning the last five.
- Andy joined Lleyton Hewitt and John McEnroe as the only players to win three consecutive Queens Club titles.
- Fun fact: Roddick sold the most posters at Wimbledon, beating out local favorites Henman and Murray.
- Andy Roddick and Roger Federer are the only two players to hold titles on four different surfaces: indoor, grass, hardcourt, and clay.
- At the USA vs Belgium World Group Play-Offs, Roddick's match with O. Rochus became the longest match in Davis Cup history since the introduction of the deciding tiebreak (4 hrs 28 min).
- On October 25, Andy Roddick became the second-fastest active player to reach 300 wins, needing just 393 matches. Lleyton Hewitt accomplished the feat last year in only 392 matches.
- In October after winning Lyon, Roddick became the only player to win five titles on five different surfaces (San Jose on indoor hard, Houston on clay, Queen's on grass, Washington on outdoor hard, and Lyon on carpet).
- The Lyon win marked Roddick's first Fall title, first carpet title, his 20th career title, his second continental European title, and the first time he's won Lyon on the first try.
- Andy Roddick is the only player to have won multiple titles in each of the last five years (2001: 2, 2002: 3, 2003: 6, 2004: 4, 2005: 5, total: 20).
- Roddick is only one of two players to have won 50+ matches in the past four years (Federer is the other one).

AWARDS
ESPN ESPY Award for Best Male Tennis Player of the Year
Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award of the Year

RODDICK RASPBERRIES :ras: :ras: :ras:
- An injured Andy was bageled by Roger Federer in the Bangkok, Thailand final for the first time since 2002.
- The USA's loss to Croatia in the first round of the World Group marked the first time team USA has ever lost on home soil.
- Roland Garros, R64 vs Jose Acasuso marked the first time since turning pro that Andy has lost a five-set match after having won the first two sets.
- first round USO vs Gilles Muller 6-7(4) 6-7(10) 6-7(1) marked the first time Andy has ever crashed out in the first round of a non-clay slam since turning pro. (lost first first round USO 2000 as a WC)

Deboogle!.
10-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Cool tangy! Thanks for this addition :D

Coupla things :p

- Andy Roddick and Roger Federer are the only two players to hold titles on three different surfaces: grass, hardcourt, and clay.4 if you count indoors:D:D:rocker:- first round USO vs Gilles Muller 6-7(4) 6-7(10) 6-7(1) marked the first time Andy has ever crashed out in the first round of a slam.surely you mean..... non-clay slam :p

And for 2005 milestones - what about the Queens 3-peat :D

renee_chin
10-09-2005, 03:16 AM
And for 2005 milestones - what about the Queens 3-peat :D

And his 5th consecutive finals in Houston, claiming his 3rd title of the tournament. ;)

Havok
10-09-2005, 06:11 AM
Andy's lost 1r at the USo already. Mind you he was still a junior then and got entry via a WC, but he still lost 1r :p.

Deboogle!.
10-09-2005, 05:48 PM
It hasn't been officially announced, but I don't see any way that Andy could not qualify for Shanghai. :)

Also, Andy will be #3 again when the new rankings come out, which won't really matter at this point b/c Marat and Hewitt are out of Madrid anyway so he would've been bumped up, and also Hewitt might not play Paris either.

superpinkone37
10-09-2005, 07:00 PM
:D

tangerine_dream
10-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the updates guys. If you remember or read about any more please let me know so I can add them here. :D

Deboogle!.
10-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Officially back to #3 now :yeah:

Havok
10-10-2005, 04:28 AM
It hasn't been officially announced, but I don't see any way that Andy could not qualify for Shanghai. :)

Also, Andy will be #3 again when the new rankings come out, which won't really matter at this point b/c Marat and Hewitt are out of Madrid anyway so he would've been bumped up, and also Hewitt might not play Paris either.
Viva! ( I know that sounds really mean, but whatever;))

Deboogle!.
10-10-2005, 04:30 AM
Viva! ( I know that sounds really mean, but whatever;)):secret: I won't tell ;)

Noelle
10-10-2005, 06:52 AM
LOL, Hewitt and his toe and rib injuries have really helped Andy, huh? :p :devil: :angel:

blosson
10-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Don't forget his missus is about to give birth anytime soon too

cath777
10-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Well assuming my arithmetic is correct (and apologies if it is not), I think Andy qualifies for Shanghai. Based on the points available for the remaining tournaments and existing optional points, no more than 4 players could gain more race points. (This does assume that Andre and Lleyton don't play before Paris, which I believe they don't.)

Deboogle!.
10-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Yea, I've thought this for a few weeks and mentioned it here. I don't understand why it hasn't been officially announced yet but I don't see a way that like 5 people can acquire enough points in the next couple weeks to overtake him. Even if a couple people overtook him, he'd still qualify. So yeah, I don't think there's any need to worry about Andy qualifying for Shanghai. there just doesn't seem to have been the official announcement yet by the ATP :)

Deboogle!.
10-17-2005, 04:54 AM
ah, finally they announced it.
--------------------
Roddick Qualifies for Tennis Masters Cup

World No. 3 Andy Roddick is the latest player to claim a berth to Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai as Masters Series Madrid begins today. Roddick, who is seeded second in Madrid, is third in the INDESIT ATP 2005 Race. After last week’s tournament results in Moscow, Vienna and Stockholm, Roddick is guaranteed to finish within the Top 7 of the Race and thus qualify for the $4.45 million circuit finale for the third straight year.

Roddick, the 2003 year-end World No. 1, qualified for Tennis Masters Cup Houston in 2003-04, reaching the semifinals on both occasions.

With just three weeks of the regular 2005 ATP circuit remaining, competition for Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai is heating up. Going into Masters Series Madrid, only four singles players are assured of their berths at the spectacular new Qi Zhong stadium, leaving all those in contention fighting for crucial INDESIT ATP 2005 Race points in the coming weeks.

At present, only two-time defending champion and World No. 1 Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Marat Safin and Roddick have qualified for the singles. The remaining four singles spots will be determined by the final five ATP tournaments at Masters Series Madrid, Basel, Lyon, St. Petersburg and the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris.

blosson
10-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Yay, no one will say Andy hasn't played any top players after this event. He better put some wins in the scoreboard and get his ass to the finals in China.

Noelle
10-18-2005, 01:23 AM
:banana: :banana: :banana:

tangerine_dream
10-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Galaxystorm just posted this in the statistics forum, thought it was kinda cool to see our untalented, one-dimensional Andy included in this elite group :angel:

Nadal joins the 76% club

This club is consisted of active players with 76% of matches won counting ATP+ DC matches

These five players are obviously leading the ranking of % of wins among ATP players. ( A minimum of 50 matches are required )

1) Hewitt..... 76.98 %
2) Federer.... 76.48 %
3) Agassi...... 76.44 %
4) Roddick..... 76.34 %
5) Nadal......... 76.07 %

acoffeygirl
10-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the info Tangy!

MissFairy
10-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Aw. The boy's holding on. Thanks Tangster :hug:

renee_chin
10-27-2005, 01:37 AM
We can add Andy scoring his 300th win in 393 matches, only bettered by Hewitt his 'notable achievements' list?!

Although, he should've gotten there a lot faster than Hewitt, but for now, anything positive is considered nice... :)

tangerine_dream
10-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Yes, renee, I added Andy's 300th career win to my list of notable Andy achievements. :D

Just to give a bit of perspective of what this stat means: Thomas Johansson has only just now recorded his 300th career win in St. Petersburg. ToJo has been on the pro tour six years longer than Andy has. :)

partygirl
10-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Just to give a bit of perspective of what this stat means: Thomas Johansson has only just now recorded his 300th career win in St. Petersburg. ToJo has been on the pro tour six years longer than Andy has. :)

awesome. :worship: :bowdown:

:lick: k e e p
g o i n g
a n d y!:lick:

blosson
10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many wins (as in total number of matches) Lleyton and Roger have each?

tangerine_dream
10-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many wins (as in total number of matches) Lleyton and Roger have each?
Roger - 387 (turned pro in 1998)
Lleyton - 398 (turned pro in 1998)

blosson
10-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks. Woa Leyton's persistence, insistance, concistence takes him far.

renee_chin
10-28-2005, 01:24 AM
Yes, renee, I added Andy's 300th career win to my list of notable Andy achievements. :D

I saw that on the ATP site yesterday and thought, ToJo is 30 this year! :eek:

Great job, Andy! :yeah:

Deboogle!.
11-06-2005, 11:41 PM
So, there's only one more source of points for the top guys til the end of the year - TMC.

After last year's points came off, Andy's still at 3 by several hundred points in the entry ranking.

As for the race, Andy's 119 points ahead of Hewitt, who is the only person who'd be able to catch him at #3 (Andre's next at 162 pts behind Andy and there are only 150 points available at TMC). So even if Andy didn't play TMC and Hewitt did, Hewitt would have to win TMC to overtake Andy.

As for Andy's stats, he's now got 912 aces - so he'd have to have a huge TMC to be able to break 1000 again, which seems unlikely. And he still leads the tour with service games held (93% :eek: ). Perhaps the biggest thing is his first serve % - he's at 66% for the year, over 69 matches. I think that's absolutely amazing. :)

surfpinky
11-07-2005, 12:05 AM
andy leads the tour with service games held? :eek: woah! :bowdown:

Deboogle!.
11-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Yes'm, he's held 93% of the time this year :eek: (it's been tiebreaks, not his serve, that has by and large been his problem this year if you look at the matches he's lost...). Fed's in second with 90%. I thought that Karlovic had been on there at 91% or so, but I see his name is not in any of the stats and surely he would be in the top 10 aces list, too?? I dunno!!!!!!

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/

surfpinky
11-07-2005, 12:35 AM
that's still :eek:
I would have expected roger to be up there :eek:

Deboogle!.
11-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Roger can get lazy and drop his serve sometimes.... he just usually gets it right back and then gets another one ;)

surfpinky
11-07-2005, 12:37 AM
hahahahha
that sounds about right. d:

tangerine_dream
11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Roddick closing gap on Federer

Hamburg (dpa) - American Andy Roddick managed to close the gap on the leading Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in the ATP points race rankings issued on Monday.

Switzerland's Federer and Spain's Nadal, had to sit out the Paris Masters through injury, but both are hoping to compete in the season's ender in Shanghai.

Roddick, who was beaten in the semi-finals of the Bercy event by Croat Ivan Ljubicic, moved to 617 points, but remains far behind the two leading players.

ATP points race top 10 as of November 7 (previous ranking in parenthesis):

1. (1) Roger Federer, Switzerland, 1,245 points; 2. (2) Rafael Nadal, Spain, 953; 3. (3) Andy Roddick, United States, 617; 4. (4) Lleyton Hewitt, Australia, 498; 5. (5) Andre Agassi, United States, 455; 6. (6) Guillermo Coria, Argentina, 438; 7. (7) Nikolay Davydenko, Russia, 418; 8. (8) Ivan Ljubicic 416; 9. (10) Gaston Gaudio, Argentina, 370; 10. (8) Marat Safin, Russia, 346.

---

I don't see Andy "closing the gap" between him and Roger/Rafa but it's nice to see a "6" next to Andy's name while the rest are stuck with 4's and 3's ;) And he's got a nice lead over Hewitt so that's :cool:

surfpinky
11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
closing the gap :sobbing: wtf
roger has a little over twice as much as andy d:
yay math.

Golfnduck
11-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Nice to see Andy leading some stats. How about we lead some returning stats next year Andy?

Deboogle!.
11-07-2005, 08:31 PM
HA Andy leading returning stats!!?!? oh funny joke, Jen.

surfpinky
11-07-2005, 08:33 PM
HA Andy leading returning stats!!?!? oh funny joke, Jen.
that will happen the day I sprout wings.
Don't laugh, I'm working on it.

Deboogle!.
11-07-2005, 08:50 PM
that will happen the day I sprout wings.
Don't laugh, I'm working on it.:haha: I almost spit my sandwich.

surfpinky
11-07-2005, 08:53 PM
heee heeee heeee
it's make deb laugh day.

heeeey, wait. I told you not to laugh. This is serious, jeez! gosh! wtf.

Deboogle!.
11-13-2005, 02:32 AM
So the ATP changed their stats page - the rankings go out now to the top 65, so we can see where Andy stands in the returning stats.... and.... it's not good

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/

~Points returning first serve: 59 with 27% of first serve return points won :o (incidentally, that's tied with Ljubicic and Feli Lopez :o)
~Break Points Converted: tied at 40 with 40% of BPs converted
~Points won returning second serve: 31 with 50% of 2nd serve return points won
~Return Games won; 52 with only 21% of return games won. That's flat-out embarrassing.

Bottom line: Andy's return has got to improve or he will continue to stagnate.

Volcanic Tennis
11-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Wow at Tangerine_Dream's list of achievements :bow: :bow: :bow: That's amazing! :thumsbup:

And what he's achieved this year stats-wise is wonderful :bow: 900 aces +? That's crazy! I've hit two in my life and I'm proud :lmao:

But the one that really struck me... the five setter against El Aynaoui in the AO. 21-19 o_O