NATURE ↔ ENVIRONMENT ↔ ANIMAL Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

NATURE ↔ ENVIRONMENT ↔ ANIMAL Thread

Kristen
09-14-2005, 09:04 AM
There are a few threads around, but I find stuff fairly often, and people might be interested in it...so here we go. A sort of nice story from New Orleans.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16565077-23109,00.html
BAYING forlornly, hissing at strangers and increasingly dehydrated and hungry, tens of thousands of pets have probably been left behind in the devastated US city of New Orleans, animal care agencies say.

Animal rescue workers from across the United States are combing the city deserted by its citizens when Hurricane Katrina approached almost two weeks ago. They wade through thigh-high muck, commandeer abandoned boats and use crowbars to bring stranded animals to safety.
"The cats are terrible. Out of every 10, nine are scratching and biting and hissing," said Jane Garrison of the Humane Society United States as she cuddled two terrified dogs in an aluminum dinghy.

Dogs often leaped into their arms, she said.

The society estimated that 60 per cent of central New Orleans' half a million people had pets of one sort or another, said spokeswoman Renee Bafalas.

How many of those were left behind when their owners evacuated is anybody's guess.

But judging from the numbers of dogs seen pacing around on roofs of flooded homes or in wind-savaged neighbourhoods and being brought out by rescue workers, the number is likely to be high.
On Thursday night, there were 1,700 animals at a pet collection center set up by the Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the Humane Society and its state branches at Gonzales, between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, Bafalas said.

Many others had already been united with their owners.

The rescuers are working off lists of stranded animals reported to hotlines by evacuated owners.

Invariably, though, when they turn up at an address where they know a pet has been left behind, they also hear or see other animals in the neighborhood that need rescuing. The countrywide SPCA and Humane Society workers operating in New Orleans have been given authority to break into houses where they think there are animals in distress.

Sometimes the only thing that greets their knocks and shouts at a locked door is a strong stench of death. More often, they find a live animal to return to its owner. Dogs in particular, the rescue workers say, have held up well.

"We've been surprised that most of them were in good condition," said Lieutenant Randy Covey of the Oregon Humane Society.

"Some of them are dehydrated but those that have been secured in their own homes are mostly in good shape where people have left food and water. Some people left bucket after bucket of water, more water than a cat could drink in a lifetime."

Bafalas said she did not think the animal rescue agencies were overwhelmed by the scale of the New Orleans disaster, if only because the response from SPCA and Humane Society organizations across the United States had itself been so overwhelming.

Tim Rickey of the Humane Society of Missouri was less sure.

"My guess is that before this is over, they're going to have to set up a second collection site. This is much bigger than they thought," he said.

Kristen
10-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Article from Australian news tonight
Iceland's commercial whaling resumption 'a mockery'
8:03 PM October 18

The federal Environment Minister, Ian Campbell, says the decision by Iceland to resume commercial whaling makes a mockery of claims it cares about the environment.

Iceland has announced it will allow whalers to harpoon 30 minke whales and nine fin whales between now and the end of August next year, flouting international bans.

The fin whale, the second biggest whale after the blue whale, is on the endangered species list, but Iceland insisted that the quota would not hurt what it termed "abundant" stocks in the North Atlantic.

An International Whaling Commission (IWC) moratorium on commercial whaling has been in force since 1986. Iceland left the IWC in 1992 but rejoined in 2002, saying it would not be bound by the moratorium.

"There are very good reasons to authorise the hunt," Karsten Klepsvik, Norway's representative to the IWC, said. Iceland's decision "helps normalise the whaling issue".

Senator Campbell says its a very irresponsible move. "I think it will raise doubts right around the world about Iceland's commitment to environmental issues," he said. "It is really a very sad day for the world, when a first world, developed country like Iceland should effectively tear up one of the great environmental achievements of the world from the last century, that is the moratorium on whaling."

Norway, until now the only country to openly conduct commercial whaling, hailed Iceland's decision to resume the controversial practice after a 16-year suspension.

Japan, which carries out whaling for what it claims is scientific research, declined to comment directly on Iceland's decision but said it supported commercial whaling.

Norway has authorised whalers to hunt 1,052 minke whales in the 2006 season, the biggest quota allowed since the Scandinavian country decided to resume the commercial hunt in 1993. But Norwegian whalers have failed to fill their quotas for several years in a row, citing poor weather conditions, the high price of petrol and a saturated market for whale meat.

Opponents of the whale hunt say the latter shows a lack of interest for whale meat. In June, the IWC narrowly passed a resolution declaring that the 20-year-old moratorium on commercial hunting was "no longer necessary". However, a 75 per cent majority is needed for the moratorium to be overturned.

- ABC/AFP
Source: ABC/AFP

the cat
10-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the articles Kristen. They were a good read. But it's sad what happens to animals in this world. :(

AgassiDomination
10-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Whattap hippies?

the cat
10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm not exactly a hippie AD. ;) I just love animals and the environment. :cat:

AgassiDomination
10-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Peace, don't hate man, appreciate.

the cat
10-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Agreed.

Kristen
10-20-2006, 04:34 AM
I hug trees when I've had a bit to drink, AD;)
Less hippie than I used to be though. My wardrobe has changed a lot, thank goodness :)

MisterQ
10-20-2006, 05:23 AM
I once took a college class where I had to go out and sit with a tree for a while.

I didn't learn much through that, but maybe the tree did.

Attractive tree though. :hearts:

Kristen
10-28-2006, 04:02 PM
:lol: I know the feeling MisterQ.
I took a class run by the 'Social Ecology' lecturers...my uni was based out near the mountains so it was very environmental...and one time they got us in pairs, walking through a garden, one of us with our eyes closed. When we'd get to the tree they'd say something like 'you're not only touching the tree, the tree is touching you!'. This event amused us for several semesters. [I studied Land Manamement and Conservation, so we were green, just...not airy fairy hippy-like]

Anyway, I have another couple of articles. One on Orangutans, as they're my #1 animal, after my dog. And another little one because omg it's Vegan Day on November 1 (I never knew it existed. Maybe it's new!?)

WA ORANGUTAN TO EMBARK ON 'GREAT ADVENTURE'
By Adam Gartrell, www.news.com. au

Oct 26 - SHE'S only fourteen years old, but Temara is about to embark alone on a great adventure.

Temara's a Sumatran Orangutan, and after spending her entire life in captivity at Perth Zoo with her mother, Puteri, she will travel next week to her new home in the rainforests of Indonesia.

She will be released into a protected Indonesian national park as part of an international effort to re-establish a population of the critically endangered species.

It will be the first time a zoo-born orangutan has been released into the wild.

A team of veterinarians, keepers and zoo officials have spent the past year meticulously planning and preparing for the transfer. Temara, hand-picked for the role based on her age, sex, health and
temperament, has recently been introduced to Indonesian fruits, live termites and the wide variety of leaves she'll encounter in the wild.

She had also been given access to a high fig tree to hone her climbing and nest-making skills and improve her fitness and muscle tone. Temara will be carefully monitored for at least 12 months to assess how she adjusts.

Perth Zoo has the capacity to breed orangutans for release into the wild on an ongoing basis, depending on how things pan out with Temara.

It is believed there are only 7300 Sumatran Orangutans left in the wild. They are the slowest reproducing species on earth and face extinction in the wild within 15 years.

http://www.news. com.au/dailytele graph/story/ 0,22049,20649993 -5001028, 00.html

WORLD VEGAN DAY - WEDNESDAY 1ST NOVEMBER

This year to celebrate World Vegan Day we're hosting a vegan BBQ at Wynyard Park in the city. We will be setting up from 9am and will start to cook delicious Fry's burgers (500 of them) to give away to
Park goers as an alternative to eating dead animal flesh on this great day.

If you can spare an hour or two on the day to help put burgers together and hand them out with a Beyond Vegan booklet that would be fantastic. If you can also help in the chopping of veggies in the morning that would be even better!!Sounds like a good day out for a free feed! I'm going to try to con a mate into having lunch with me! I want to be a better vegetarian. Right now I have a million double standards :tape:

PS. I got my leather boots fixed (heel, sole and toe) so...I dunno...it makes me feel a bit better about my leather boots 'thing'.

Both articles are from the Animal Liberation [AU] Yahoo Group.

Washa Koroleva
10-28-2006, 04:39 PM
I once took a college class where I had to go out and sit with a tree for a while.

I didn't learn much through that, but maybe the tree did.

Attractive tree though. :hearts:

What class was that?

*Ljubica*
10-28-2006, 07:10 PM
I hug trees when I've had a bit to drink, AD;)
Less hippie than I used to be though. My wardrobe has changed a lot, thank goodness :)

I am probably still a hippy - and proud of it :) Thanks for the articles Kristen - though you know me - anything about cruelty to animals or any kind of animal suffering makes me cry :tears:

Kristen
10-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I thought this thread was due for some happy news, Rosie :)

Whenever I find happy articles like these ones I'll be sure to post them as well :yeah:

*Ljubica*
10-29-2006, 04:18 PM
I thought this thread was due for some happy news, Rosie :)

Whenever I find happy articles like these ones I'll be sure to post them as well :yeah:

Thanks - look forward to it :hug: I could do with some happy news now my tennis travels have ended til next year :sad:

Kristen
10-30-2006, 03:30 AM
Ahh... right after I say I'll bring good news, I bring bad news. I'm looking for merchandise from some of these places and came across the article about a dolphin slaughter. Who the f*ck slaughters dolphins? I thought... Japan does. Of course! Japan. My favourite. For a nation that is apparently so intelligent - so I was lead to believe - they are responsible for a lot of f*cked up actions.

(Also, theres a petition some might be interested in...just to show that animals are important. http://www.wspa.org.au/news.asp?track=true&newsID=254 )

Every year between the months of October and March, Japan kills more than 20,000 dolphins through their ‘drive hunts’. This is a method of hunting dolphins whereby pods of dolphins are driven into bays and coves to be cruelly killed. The meat from these dolphins is then sold in local markets for human consumption.

Some dolphins driven into these coves are spared the violent death, but unfortunately an equally cruel fate awaits them – a lifetime in captivity. Unscrupulous dolphinariums financially support the hunts by buying live dolphins - usually young females - from the fisherman to be used for captive display.

These animals witness the slaughter of their close family group before being transported off to live the rest of their lives confined in pools as ‘entertainment’.

Between October 2003 and March 2004, 78 dolphins were captured during the drive hunts and sold to dolphinaria.
http://www.wspa.org.au/news.asp?newsID=263

Zirconek
10-30-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm really worried about the global warming and poverty in the world :scared: :fiery: :timebomb: :rain:

At least, some good news: in Brazil, for the 2nd year in a row there is a decrease of deforestation in the Amazon forest. :D
30% and 31% ! Not incipient.

I highly recommend the books of Jared Diamond: "Collapse" and "Guns, germs and steel". :cool:

Zirconek
11-01-2006, 05:51 PM
A brand new report about global warming/climate changes:
www.sternview.org.uk
Very interesting!

Kristen
11-02-2006, 05:00 AM
Happy ending:
Whale freed from shark nets in Qld
Thursday Nov 2 15:18 AEDT
A whale caught in shark netting off Queensland's Sunshine Coast has been freed after a four-hour rescue operation.

The seven-metre adult humpback whale was sighted off Point Arkwright, south of Coolum Beach, about 7.30am (AEST) on Thursday.

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Shark Control Program manager Baden Lane said the animal had been heavily entangled in the nets which it had towed from Coolum Beach.

Members of the Marine Animal Release Team worked for four hours to cut the ropes from the animal, calling in extra help from the Gold Coast team who brought new knives specifically designed for cutting animals free from ropes and shark netting.

The humpback was freed at 11.30am (AEST).

Mr Lane said the whale remained calm during the rescue and was in the company of other whales.

He said it was more common for juvenile whales to be caught in shark nets due to their inexperience in identifying obstructions in the water and understanding the acoustic warning alarms placed on all shark nets.

Twenty-one whales have been caught in shark netting in Queensland since 2000, he said. Of those, 16 whales had been freed by the Marine Animal Release Teams on the Gold Coast, Mackay, Mooloolaba and Noosa.

The whale was the fourth animal to become entangled at the Sunshine Coast since 1990 with all being released alive.

Kristen
11-03-2006, 12:46 PM
RABBIT MUTILATOR HAS MIND DISEASE: JUDGE

Nov 3 - A Sydney financier jailed for 16 months over the mutilation
deaths of 17 rabbits has successfully appealed his conviction on the
grounds of mental illness.

Brendan Francis McMahon, 37, was convicted and sentenced to a maximum
of 16 months' jail in July on 18 counts of aggravated animal cruelty.

The New Zealand-born financier used his company credit card to
purchase the animals before torturing them to death and dumping their
corpses in and around his inner-city office building.

McMahon had argued he should be found not guilty on mental health
grounds, claiming he was smoking $250 worth of ice every three days in
the month leading up to and during the crimes.

In appealing the conviction, McMahon's barrister Douglas Marr said his
client had a "disease of the mind" for which the drugs were only a
trigger.

District Court Judge Peter Berman quashed McMahon's conviction, saying
that sentencing magistrate Ian Barnett had erred in rejecting the
mental health defence.

"I am satisfied that the accused suffered a disease of the mind and
the psychosis was not due to drugs alone," Judge Berman said in his
judgment.

Judge Berman was to deliver further orders in the case on Thursday
afternoon.

http://www.smh. com.au/articles/ 2006/11/03/ 1162340038297. html

:tape: I didn't mean to kill and torture them... I just have mental issues. Obviously.

mandoura
11-03-2006, 03:12 PM
:sad:

'Only 50 years left' for sea fish

By Richard Black
Environment correspondent, BBC News website

There will be virtually nothing left to fish from the seas by the middle of the century if current trends continue, according to a major scientific study.

Stocks have collapsed in nearly one-third of sea fisheries, and the rate of decline is accelerating.

Writing in the journal Science, the international team of researchers says fishery decline is closely tied to a broader loss of marine biodiversity.

But a greater use of protected areas could safeguard existing stocks.

"The way we use the oceans is that we hope and assume there will always be another species to exploit after we've completely gone through the last one," said research leader Boris Worm, from Dalhousie University in Canada.

This century is the last century of wild seafood
Steve Palumbi

"What we're highlighting is there is a finite number of stocks; we have gone through one-third, and we are going to get through the rest," he told the BBC News website.

Steve Palumbi, from Stanford University in California, one of the other scientists on the project, added: "Unless we fundamentally change the way we manage all the ocean species together, as working ecosystems, then this century is the last century of wild seafood."

Spanning the seas

This is a vast piece of research, incorporating scientists from many institutions in Europe and the Americas, and drawing on four distinctly different kinds of data.

Catch records from the open sea give a picture of declining fish stocks.
In 2003, 29% of open sea fisheries were in a state of collapse, defined as a decline to less than 10% of their original yield.

Bigger vessels, better nets, and new technology for spotting fish are not bringing the world's fleets bigger returns - in fact, the global catch fell by 13% between 1994 and 2003.

Historical records from coastal zones in North America, Europe and Australia also show declining yields, in step with declining species diversity; these are yields not just of fish, but of other kinds of seafood too.

Zones of biodiversity loss also tended to see more beach closures, more blooms of potentially harmful algae, and more coastal flooding.

We should protect biodiversity, and it does pay off through fisheries yield
Carl Gustaf Lundin

Experiments performed in small, relatively contained ecosystems show that reductions in diversity tend to bring reductions in the size and robustness of local fish stocks. This implies that loss of biodiversity is driving the declines in fish stocks seen in the large-scale studies.

The final part of the jigsaw is data from areas where fishing has been banned or heavily restricted.

These show that protection brings back biodiversity within the zone, and restores populations of fish just outside.

"The image I use to explain why biodiversity is so important is that marine life is a bit like a house of cards," said Dr Worm.

"All parts of it are integral to the structure; if you remove parts, particularly at the bottom, it's detrimental to everything on top and threatens the whole structure.

"And we're learning that in the oceans, species are very strongly linked to each other - probably more so than on land."

Protected interest

What the study does not do is attribute damage to individual activities such as over-fishing, pollution or habitat loss; instead it paints a picture of the cumulative harm done across the board.

Even so, a key implication of the research is that more of the oceans should be protected.

But the extent of protection is not the only issue, according to Carl Gustaf Lundin, head of the global marine programme at IUCN, the World Conservation Union.

"The benefits of marine-protected areas are quite clear in a few cases; there's no doubt that protecting areas leads to a lot more fish and larger fish, and less vulnerability," he said.

"But you also have to have good management of marine parks and good management of fisheries. Clearly, fishing should not wreck the ecosystem, bottom trawling being a good example of something which does wreck the ecosystem."

But, he said, the concept of protecting fish stocks by protecting biodiversity does make sense.

"This is a good compelling case; we should protect biodiversity, and it does pay off even in simple monetary terms through fisheries yield."

Protecting stocks demands the political will to act on scientific advice - something which Boris Worm finds lacking in Europe, where politicians have ignored recommendations to halt the iconic North Sea cod fishery year after year.

Without a ban, scientists fear the North Sea stocks could follow the Grand Banks cod of eastern Canada into apparently terminal decline.

"I'm just amazed, it's very irrational," he said.

"You have scientific consensus and nothing moves. It's a sad example; and what happened in Canada should be such a warning, because now it's collapsed it's not coming back."

1. Experiments show that reducing the diversity of an ecosystem lowers the abundance of fish
2. Historical records show extensive loss of biodiversity along coasts since 1800, with the collapse of about 40% of species. About one-third of once viable coastal fisheries are now useless
3. Catch records from the open ocean show widespread decline of fisheries since 1950 with the rate of decline increasing. In 2003, 29% of fisheries were collapsed. Biodiverse regions' stocks fare better
4. Marine reserves and no-catch zones bring an average 23% improvement in biodiversity and an increase in fish stocks around the protected area

Richard.Black-INTERNET@bbc.co.uk (Richard.Black-INTERNET@bbc.co.uk)

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/6108414.stm

Published: 2006/11/02 19:01:25 GMT

© BBC MMVI

MisterQ
11-03-2006, 03:52 PM
It makes me angry to see all these global warming "news flashes." :mad: They were predicting this stuff when I was a kid in the 80s. I remember being worried about these things even then. And politicians just ignored it...

Kristen
11-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Hmm...so lately over here:
37 whales beached themselves. There were about twice as many on the beach, but people managed to (hopefully) knock sense into the others, and they went back to sea.

I read something about an idea to float a huge area of shade-cloth over the great barrier reef to prevent bleaching of the coral. I can't help but laugh when I picture it.

This next article is from PETA, who have good intentions, but I think are a bit like the animal welfare version of Greenpeace (crazy activists who don't get the respect they'd like).
Openly gay tennis icon Martina Navratilova (http://stopanimaltests.com/f-navratilova.asp?c=weekly_enews)is expressing outrage that Oregon State University (OSU) and Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) are spending millions of public tax dollars on unethical hormone-altering experiments on “gay sheep” that seek to manipulate sheep’s sexual preferences and make them heterosexual.

OHSU experimenter Charles Roselli drugs fetal sheep in order to alter sex hormones in their brains, and he cuts open the brains of rams he calls “male-oriented” (homosexual) in an attempt to find the hormonal mechanisms behind homosexual tendencies so that they can subsequently be changed. Roselli’s cohort, OSU’s Frederick Stormshak, has surgically installed an estrogen device in the bodies of “gay sheep” in an effort to make their sexual preferences heterosexual. The test results carry the insidious implication that homosexuality in humans can be “cured”; the experimenters have stated that they plan to extrapolate the test results to humans.

In letters faxed to the presidents of both universities, Navratilova—who has won nine Wimbledon Women’s Singles championships and holds more overall tennis titles than any other player in history—writes, “How can it be that, in the year 2006, a major university would host such homophobic and cruel experiments? ... For the sake of the animals who will die unnecessarily in these experiments and for the many gays and lesbians who stand to be deeply offended by the social implications of these tests, I ask that you please end these studies at once.”

Good News for Calves
ELECTION '06: ANIMALS WIN IN ARIZONA AND MICHIGAN (USA)

Voters in Arizona and Michigan gave a voice to animals this year by
speaking out on ballot initiatives in landslide votes that will
protect farm animals and mourning doves.

Arizona voters overwhelmingly passed a historic initiative to improve
the lives of farm animals-the Humane Treatment for Farm Animals Act.

The passage of this proposition- by more than 60 percent-makes Arizona
the first state in the nation to prohibit the confinement of calves in
veal crates and the second state to prohibit the confinement of
breeding pigs in gestation crates. These two factory farming practices
are infamous for their inherent cruelty and are both already banned
throughout the European Union.

"Arizona voters stood up to factory farming lobby groups and affirmed
that farm animals should have basic protections such as being able to
turn around and extend their limbs," said Wayne Pacelle, HSUS
president and CEO. "The overwhelming passage of Proposition 204 will
not only help thousands of animals in Arizona, but will also send a
message to factory farming operations across the country that they
must end the most abusive practices."

For the whole story:
http://www.hsus. org/legislation_ laws/ballot_ initiatives/ election_ 06_animals_ win_.html

And A crazy...yet determined...vegan in Australia
VEGAN VANDAL ON RAMPAGE
By Amy Remeikis, www.sunshinecoastda ily.com.au

Nov 7 - A "VEGAN vandal" has gone on the attack, using words and
stones as his weapons of choice.

Maroochydore butcher shop Meatworld and their seafood offshoot,
Fishworld felt the brunt of the animal activist's ire over the
weekend, with senior butcher Anthony Tomkins turning up to work early
Sunday morning to be greeted by the words "meat = murder".

The vandal had several other messages he wanted to get across and also
smashed Meatworlds front windows with bricks and stones, causing more
damage by striking a display of free range eggs which was resting by
the window.

Mr Tomkins said the culprit attempted to cover their tracks by
covering three of the security camera lenses with spray paint, but
images of the cloaked bandit have been handed over to police.

"It's frustrating, for both our staff and our clients," he said.

"Our customers have had to come in here and be faced with that and we
are trying to run a business here and it puts a damper on the day for
our staff when they see that as well. It makes them feel frustrated,
angry and annoyed that people can just do this."

Police are investigating whether the Meatworld vandal is also
responsible for the message "eat more greens" spray painted on a fence
along Maroochydore Road.

While not going as far as to condone the behaviour, Animal Activist
Queensland's Karen Nilsen sympathised with the vandal's message.

"Anyone who has attempted to comprehend the violence and needless
slaughter of 55 billion animals every year will realise that these
actions are committed out of outrage and sheer frustration, " she said.

"By comparison, the causeless violence committed by the meat industry
is overwhelming yet often overlooked.

Photo: http://www.sunshine coastdaily. com.au/pics/ 161099e.jpg
Caption: Meatworld senior butcher, Anthony Tomkins is disapointed
[sic] and frustrated by the work of the vegan vandal.

http://www.sunshine coastdaily. com.au/localnews /storydisplay. cfm?thesectionfiltered= localnews& storyid=3708556

Kristen
11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
PS. My Prime Minister is insane. Let's create a quick fix in one area, and destroy ecosystems in the process :D Where is Peter Garrett / Kim Beazley (opposition leader who basically disagrees with everything Howard does) when you need them!

HOWARD BACKS DRAINING WETLANDS

Nov 8 - Prime Minister John Howard says he will support the draining of wetlands to provide water to drought-stricken communities in the parched Murray-Darling Basin.

Mr Howard made it clear that the needs of communities would be given priority over the environment as governments consider how to tackle the drastic water shortage.

"The first priority is to make sure there is water supply for people - for communities and towns," he told reporters.

"I will just have to weather any backlash from anybody on that issue."

Full story:
http://www.smh. com.au/articles/ 2006/11/08/ 1162661732596. html

Kristen
11-15-2006, 11:12 AM
LMAO. I think we need to cull crazy Belgian tourists! Honestly, there are signs warning you not to go in. You're in another creatures territory. You're the prey, s/he is the predator. There are what...6 billion humans on the planet? What could the problem be :scratch:

CROC ATTACK SPARKS CULL CALL
By Roberta Mancuso, www.news.com. au

Nov 9 - A CROCODILE attack on a "silly" Belgian tourist has prompted
new calls for a cull of the reptiles in Queensland.

The 24-year-old tourist yesterday ignored crocodile warnings signs,
wading into a creek at Cape Tribulation and slapping the water to try
to entice a crocodile closer for a better photograph.

But before the man could take a snap, the two-metre estuarine
crocodile snapped first, quickly launching itself out of the water and
biting him on the left knee.

"It lunged out and grabbed his knee and the worst part is he didn't
get the photo," local doctor Kelly Lash told Fairfax, adding that the
tourist should be a candidate for an award "for doing stupid things".

The Belgian was lucky, suffering more from shock than injury as the
croc bite was treated at Mossman Hospital, north of Cairns. He was
later released.

The crocodile in question will now be removed for safety reasons.

Townsville-based Liberal Senator Ian Macdonald (Macdonald) said while
the tourist had been "silly", the latest incident demonstrated the
need for a crocodile cull in populated areas.

"If you have crocodiles where there are tourists you really are
inviting danger," Senator Macdonald said.

The Liberal Party last week passed a motion proposed by Senator
Macdonald at its annual state convention in Brisbane for crocodile
numbers to be reduced in populated areas.

The call came after crocodiles were spotted at The Strand in
Townsville, forcing authorities to close the beach.

Senator Macdonald said croc numbers had returned to "sustainable
levels" since hunting was banned in Queensland in 1972.

"I think there is value to be obtained from the cull of wild
crocodiles in the form of meat (and) skins - much the same as we do
for kangaroos," he said.

But Queensland Environment Minister Lindy Nelson-Carr said destroying
a "prehistoric animal" which lived in Queensland was "nothing short of
ridiculous".

She said most crocodile attacks occurred as a result of people
behaving irresponsibly.

"This particular tourist behaved in a very foolish manner," she told AAP.

"We have good signage, we educate the public to be croc wise and most
people who have faced a crocodile under serious circumstances, where
they've lost their lives, have been irresponsible because they've been
drinking (or) they've gone into the water of known crocodile habitats
after 5pm."

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service crocodile expert Dr Mark Read
said there were two croc warning signs near the attack site.

He said the croc probably attacked because his territory had been
invaded, or had viewed the tourist's tapping on the water as a "prey
signal".

Dr Read said rangers would attempt to catch the croc, which would then
be sold to a farm or licensed wildlife park.

There are an estimated 30,000 crocodiles in Queensland.

http://www.news. com.au/dailytele graph/story/ 0,22049,20729246 -5001028, 00.html

ALLAN THE CROC'S ON THE RUN
By Jamie Pandaram, www.smh.com. au

Nov 10 - Allan the "comfortable" crocodile who bit a Belgian tourist
after the man hit the water with a stick trying to get its attention
has so far managed to evade wildlife rangers who plan to take it to a
breeding farm.

Allan the croc will be hunted by a team of Queensland Parks and
Wildlife Service rangers again tonight after eluding them yesterday at
Masons Creek, on the south side of Cape Tribulation in Far North
Queensland.

Locals at Cape Tribulation are unhappy Allan is being taken away, and
believe the stupidity of tourist Stefaan Vanthournout has resulted in
the crocodile's punishment of being taken from its home of at least
five years.

Allan was named after an Irish tourist by local kayaking tour guide
Stuart Vickers two years ago.

"I was out on tour with this Irish guy, and his name was Allan and he
was absolutely hilarious, and I saw the croc for the first time and I
said 'there you go brother, I'll name him after you'. He was stoked,
he'd never had anything named after him before," Mr Vickers, 33, said.

"The croc has never shown aggressive tendencies before, he has been
really comfortable around people. From a tourism-based point of view
it could be a concern, just for safety.

"When there's areas with crocs and people come from overseas who just
aren't aware of that stuff - it can be a concern."

The two-metre croc - if caught - will live out its days in a farm as a
breeding crocodile after biting 24-year-old Vanthournout' s leg when he
tried to get its attention by wading into a creek and slapping the
water with a stick two days ago.

Mr Vanthournout was with a group of about six other tourists who
ignored crocodile warning signs and went into Masons Creek after
spotting the saltwater crocodile lying on the riverbank.

The group waded to the other side of the creek and Allan slipped into
the water.

The crocodile was submerged but Mr Vanthournout wanted to get a photo
so he grabbed a 30-centimetre stick and started hitting the water so
Allan would come up.

Come up he did, lunging at the Belgian and leaving a decent set of
teethmarks on his left knee.

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service spokesman Mark Read said
yesterday Allan would have to be moved because "we have an obligation
to ensure we minimise risks to all users, locals and tourists alike".

But the president of the Daintree Cape Tribulation Tourism
Association, Alison Gotts, said the crocodile was being unduly punished.

"I just wish they would leave him alone," she said. "I don't think
being tormented by an idiotic tourist warrants his removal. I am
annoyed by the decision that the crocodile is the one who is punished.

"If you were being taunted by that tourist you would bite him too. No
one here wants him to go, he has been here for about five years.

"It is his place, we are the ones that have invaded his space. We feel
honoured to be living here with a croc."

But Mr Read offered the theoretical situation of a child being
attacked by Allan in the future as enough reason of the Wildlife
Service's decision.

He said the farm Allan will be sent to has not yet been determined.

He added that crocodiles are extremely difficult to catch in the
daytime so crews would only search for the croc at night.

http://www.smh. com.au/articles/ 2006/11/10/ 1162661886516. html

That story about the whales beaching themselves around here...
MASSIVE RESCUE EFFORT SAVES 40 STRANDED WHALES

Nov 10 - A huge rescue effort by conservation staff and volunteers has
succeeded in saving about half the pilot whales stranded on a beach on
New Zealand's North Island.

About 80 pilot whales stranded themselves on Ruakaka Beach, south of
Whangarei, this morning and a massive rescue effort has been under way
throughout the day.

Rescue coordinator Sue Campbell says about 40 of the whales were
refloated near Ruakaka, but the remainder died on the beach.

About six boats are shepherding the pod safely out to sea, while the
Department of Conservation and the local Maori tribe make arrangements
to bury the dead whales near Marsden Point.

New Zealand has one of the world's highest rates of whale strandings.

According to historical records, more than 5,000 whales and dolphins
have beached on the New Zealand coast since 1840.

http://www.abc. net.au/news/ newsitems/ 200611/s1785934. htm

Kristen
02-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Something I came across... The blog was dated October 2007, so I'm not sure how recent it is. :mad:

"Hello everyone. My name is Guillermo Habacuc Vargas. I am 50 years old [Remark: The "artist" is indeed about 30 years old, more real data about him over here] and an artist. Recently, I have been critisized for my work titled "Eres lo que lees", which features a dog named Nativity. The purpose of the work was not to cause any type of infliction on the poor, innocent creature, but rather to illustrate a point. In my home city of San Jose, Costa Rica, tens of thousands of stray dogs starve and die of illness each year in the streets and no one pays them a second thought. Now, if you publicly display one of these starving creatures, such as the case with Nativity, it creates a backlash that brings out a big of hypocrisy in all of us. Nativity was a very sick creature and would have died in the streets anyway."

Be advised that the first link contains photos of the dog [whilst alive]
LINK 1 (http://reiskeks-natividad.blogspot.com/2007/10/guillermo-habacuc-vargas-admits-on-his.html)
LINK 2 (http://pluginamp.com/network/node/3575)
LINK 3 (http://reiskeks-natividad.blogspot.com/2007/10/guillermo-habacuc-vargas-admits-on-his.html)

EDIT: Apparently this was a hoax. Fingers crossed.

DhammaTiger
02-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Hello everyone :wavey: i am so happy I found this thread.
Can I post an article about Tiger Temple in Thailand. The temple isa haven for tigers and other endangered animals. They are planning to build more space for tigers to roam free. As we all know tigers are poached so much that they are on the brink of extinction. Can you imagine a world without tigers?

Kristen
02-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Of course :D
Happy stories are always welcome here, lol I seem to post mostly depressing ones :tape: :wavey:

DhammaTiger
02-27-2008, 11:18 AM
This story is about "Tiger Temple", a monastery in the West of Thailand, in Kanchanaburi province. For those who saw the film The Bridge on the River Kwai, the temple is not far from that location. Although the tigers are in confinement the templeis doing an admirable job in saving them from poachers. I found the story on Buddhist Channel http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?index
Burning bright
by Steve Williams, Sydney Morning Herald, February 24, 2008

Steve Williams visits the Buddhist monastery in Thailand where tigers live in harmony with monks

Kanchanaburi, Thailand -- Either she likes it or I'm dead. I'm crouched next to a magnificent Indo-Chinese tiger at the Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampanno Forest Monastery in Thailand. Try saying that three times quickly; not surprisingly, it's better known as the "Tiger Temple".

<< Walkies ... a monk takes a stroll with one of the 22 tigers that are kept at the temple.
Photo: Steve Williams

She is sprawled out, flat on her back, blissfully asleep, front paws curled over like she's impersonating a kangaroo. If this were my cat at home, I'd give him a tickle under the chin. So I think I'll try it. What's the worst thing that could happen, apart from losing my face to one swipe of her massive paws which are about as big as my head?

I tickle away - the eyes flash open, taut muscles ripple, a millisecond of panic, head turns, then she lazily rolls that huge body closer towards me so I can keep tickling and patting her. No is obviously not an option. I've got all day.

The Tiger Temple is about 2 1/2hours west of Bangkok, in the Kanchanaburi province, not too far from the Burmese border.

It was founded in 1994 by the abbot Phra Acharn Chan, and since the gates first opened it has been a sanctuary for wildlife. The first resident was a jungle fowl brought in by a villager, then peacocks and an injured wild boar wandered in. Deer, buffalo, cows, horses and goats joined them, either brought in by villagers or they somehow found their own way. It's kind of like the Pied Piper meets Noah's Ark, without the boat. With human civilisation encroaching on this Thai hinterland area, the animals seem to know they are welcome and will be safe.

The first tiger cub was brought to the monastery in 1999 and was in a very bad way. She was just a few months old when poachers on the border killed her mother. Even though the monastery is close to the Western Forest Complex, a protected area that runs along the Thai-Burma border, sadly poaching still occurs. And it's big business - a tiger is worth as much as $6000 to a poacher. Global programs are in place to stop the poaching and have had some success, but, unfortunately, while there are people who want trophies of stuffed tiger carcasses or skins in their homes and hard-core devotees of traditional Chinese medicine, poaching will continue.

The little orphan cub was sold, and her new owner asked a taxidermist to stuff her. A monk told me the taxidermist injected the cub with formalin, but couldn't go through with the job and the cub was brought to the monastery. The monks nursed the terrified cub back to health, but sadly she fell ill and died five months later. She was the first of many tigers that have been brought to the temple - there are currently 22 living at the monastery, ranging in age from about 11/2 months to eight years old. Some of the older ones were adopted by the temple, and a great number have been bred there.

When you visit the monastery you can sense it's a special place - it all sounds very mystical, but there is a feeling of calm when you walk through the gates. That mystical feeling is temporarily interrupted when you have to sign a disclaimer absolving them of any responsibility if you leave short of a limb, but the staff tell me there has never been an incident. I've been there three times over the years and haven't seen a problem.

Once you enter you are able to wander around the grounds freely, talk to the monks and see where the tigers live. You might be initially shocked at the cages. Although they are pretty stark, with bare concrete floors, at least they are clean. As confronting as this is, you have to remember this is a Buddhist monastery, not a profitable zoo, it doesn't receive any funding from the Thai Government, and all money is raised by donations and the admission charges. Some visitors baulk at having to pay, but it is an expensive business keeping and feeding more than 20 big cats, not to mention the countless other animals. Work is under way on a new home for the cats - Tiger Island, a natural forest environment of almost two hectares. This will get the cats out of the cages into a more natural enclosure. The ambitious plan is for it to become a rescue centre, and to be used for education and research to aid a tiger conservation project, but funding is always an issue. Another open enclosure, Tiger Falls has been completed, with a grassed area, waterfall and moat for the tigers. Three of the temple's more senior feline residents live here.

As work continues on Tiger Island, at least the tigers aren't confined to the cages all the time. They're fed and given a bath (which they're not too impressed with) every morning, then at around 12.30pm - give or take; this is Thailand - the monks and volunteers bring the tiger cubs out for a run and photo opportunities. About 1pm the larger cats are led out for their afternoon session at Tiger Canyon. This is a spectacle in itself - the abbot zooms down a road in his motorised scooter with an unrestrained tiger in hot pursuit. He then more sedately walks the tiger (again unrestrained) down to the Tiger Canyon, this time with camera-toting tourists in not-so-hot pursuit, as the temperature is scorching.

The canyon resembles an old quarry, with high cliffs on three sides, and this is where you can get up close with the cats. They are mostly asleep, stretched out on the rocky ground - as though they're crashed out on the lounge after a big lunch.

There are benches where you can sit and watch the tigers, if you don't want to go and sit with them. If you do want to go in with the tigers, a volunteer will take you by the hand. This is for your own safety. These people, mainly Thais, work with the tigers every day and are "family". One of the monks told me an American guy strongly rejected to this handholding and wanted to go in by himself. He was refused entry; the monks didn't want their tigers upset by a stranger.

The volunteers will lead you to various spots - there might be a tiger on its own, or a group of them seemingly piled on top of each other. There's a lot of conjecture on the internet about whether or not the animals are drugged, enabling such access. I spoke to the abbot about how people are convinced the animals are drugged and he said, "People only see with their eyes and not with their mind". People need to justify what they're experiencing. He said: "Why would I hurt my tigers. I love them".

You only need to see how he interacts with the cats; he has quite a unique and powerful relationship with them. It is hard for us to comprehend, but the tigers have been handled from birth with absolute compassion. They have never tasted blood, so they don't associate blood with food - their diet consists of milk, cooked chicken and beef and dried cat food.

If you plan to visit the Tiger Temple, my suggestion is don't come just for the Tiger Canyon session. Get there a lot earlier. That way you'll be able to spend some time wandering around the grounds, talking to the monks. You might even get some quality time with a cub or two.

The Tiger Temple is a pretty special place, and Abbot Pra Acharn Chan is a special man. Without him, these endangered tigers would be stuffed, literally.

TRIP NOTES

Getting there: Most international airlines fly from Sydney to Bangkok. The Tiger Temple is in Kanchanaburi province, 21/2 hours' drive west of Bangkok. Tours can be organised by most hotels but a private tour is well worth it. Public buses and taxis are also available from Bangkok.

More information: See www.tigertemple.org.

Kristen
02-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Great article!
Years ago I was dating a guy, and he went to this same place a few times. He was so passionate about it, and the tigers in general. I of course was insanely jealous when I saw the photos. :lol: I would love to go one day; Thailand is one of those places where my diet shouldn't be much of a problem. :D Mmm. Thai food.

DhammaTiger
02-27-2008, 08:45 PM
In Thailand there are many conservation projects for animals and many look for volunteers. I know of one for Gibbons in Phuket, and there is one for elephants started by a friend of friends. I will look for links ad post them here for you. If you ever think of going to Thailand let me know, and if I happen to be there I will show you around.
Here is a link to a blog on the Tiger Temple
http://cloud-hands.blogspot.com/2007/12/tiger-monks-of-wat-pa-luangta-bua.html

DhammaTiger
02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Another article on Tiger Temple:

Source:(http://www.hinduonnet.com/mag/2005/03/20/stories/2005032000770800.htm)

emple of the tigers

The felines nod off in the warmth of the sunshine, oblivious to the incessant clicking of cameras and apprehensive touches of the visitors ... RATNA KAPUR writes about a unique abode in Thailand's jungles.

REUTERS

Close bond -- So far, there has never been an incident of mauling or aggression.

IT is early morning in the Temple of the Tigers. Achan, the head monk, draped in the colours of the dawn, unlatches the door to a large metal cage. And Starlet and Skyward, two four-month-old tiger cubs, come bounding out into the lush grounds of the monastic retreat. Skyward has been desperately awaiting his release in order to perform his morning ablutions in the wild and not soil his cage. As soon as he finishes, Starlet pounces on him, knocking him off his balance. He promptly falls face first into his still steaming excrement and emerges with a very messy nose and whiskers. He looks about, and eyes an unsuspecting visitor, in gleaming white attire, who is approaching the cages. He races towards his chosen target, and before the visitor is able to comprehend the scene, Skyward grabs her leg, buries his face and paws into her dress, and pops up triumphantly, with a face slightly less soiled and the visitor's dress not so gleaming white.

Skyward and Starlet are two amongst an ever-growing population of tigers that now inhabit Luangta Bua Yansampanno Forest Monastery in Sai Yok district. In 1995, Phra Achan Bhusit Chan Khantiharo, received his first two wild tiger cubs in a Buddhist temple in Kanchanaburi province, 322 km north of Bangkok. Hunters had killed the mother and also tried to poison the two cubs, but they managed to survive. Achan together with the handful of other monks at the monastery began to care for and raise the two cubs, named Storm and Thunder, without any formal training whatsoever. Over the years, a gradual stream of tiger cubs was brought to the monastery. Some were injured. Others were brought by villagers who did not want them to grow up and become a threat to the village, and a few others were orphaned after poachers had killed their mothers. Over the years, the temple has became a famous sanctuary for tigers, deer, boars, peacocks, fowl, gibbons and horses.

Today the monastery has 10 adult tigers, Starlet and Skyward, and two new born cubs. For Achan, preserving these tigers and reintroducing the second generation into a controlled wildlife habitat has become the mission for the rest of his life. Twenty-five years ago, Achan was diagnosed with leukemia, and told he had only a few months to live. He decided to become a monk, and now believes that his obligation to rescue and care for the tigers is the reason why he is alive today. He wants to do whatever he can to help this species survive, to do his part, and then hopefully, leave this world. "I don't want to come back," states Achan with a quiet and complete resolve. This is his last rebirth, and then he will leave the circle of life and never return.

Simple life

Life at the monastery is simple, with a handful of monks beginning each day with prayers and meditation. Thereafter, they sit under the broad canopy of the main Salla or open air hall, and receive offerings of food, fruits and vegetables from local inhabitants, villagers and townspeople each day. It is the only meal the monks will take in the day, and this ritual repeats itself on a daily basis. And during the course of the breakfast, Starlet and Skyward prance around the hall, nipping at the calves of visitors, or wrestling with the "tiger boys" who care for, and feed them. They dance around the peaceful Buddha statutes, upsetting priceless ornaments and relics through their playful shenanigans and pirouettes, providing an endless source of amusement and entertainment during the repast.

The propagation of a non-violent, Buddhist way of life has been integrated into a commitment to conserve wildlife by the abbot and his fellow monks. And Kanchanaburi is an exquisite setting for the monks and tigers alike — a reclusive location surrounded by the serenity of thick forests and conducive to the quiet and meditative ambience of the monastery. The calmness of the setting is occasionally disrupted by the piercing wail of a peacock, rumbling growls of an adult male tiger, and at times, even the barely audible whimpering of the newborn cubs.

Ever since February 2004, the Luangta Bua monastery, more affectionately referred to as the "Temple of the Tigers", has been opened to tourists. Visitors can walk around the temple grounds, viewing the wildlife, including the tigers. Each afternoon the tigers are taken out of their cages for a "walk" to a dry, rocky canyon, where they lounge about, waiting for endless streams of tourists to pose with them, who carry back souvenir photographs that capture their bravado and fearlessness. In reality, many walk towards these rather docile, friendly and magnificent creatures, with great trepidation, wearing expressions that range from mild concern to extreme anxiety.

Rules for visitors

The rules for visitors are very strict. Visitors are requested to sign a release form upon entering the sanctuary. And there are detailed instructions provided regarding the code of behaviour around the tigers. There is a line drawn on the ground behind which everyone has to remain, except for the monks and their volunteer helpers from the foundation. Each visitor is taken by the hand by a "tiger boy" — locals who have lived and worked with the tigers over a period of time — and sat down amongst a small cluster of tigers. They can touch the tigers, some of whom are kept constantly distracted by milk tablets. Despite the fact that there are warnings all around the sanctuary that these are wild animals and unpredictable, there has never been an incident of mauling or aggression. Indeed, by mid-afternoon, most of the tigers are quite disinterested in all of the attention, and nod off in the warmth of the sunshine, oblivious to the incessant clicking of cameras and app!
rehensive touches of the visitors.

Achan sits patiently as the hoards of tourists descend, snap and ascend the canyon paths. He knows that their contributions are critical to fulfilling his dream to build a new home for the tigers. He occasionally stands up, stroking Saifa (Lightning), one of the more nervous and unpredictable tigers, or tickling the tummy of Phayu (Storm), the most placid cat of the lot. In perhaps the most exciting and intimate moments between monk and tiger, he gently places his thumb in the mouth of five-year-old Saengtawan (Sunshine) who suckles it like a newborn cub, wearing an expression of utter bliss and joy. Saengtawan's story is a lucky one. Her mother was killed by hunters shortly after she gave birth. Saengtawan had no hair as she had just been born, and was vulnerable. But she survived under the watchful eye, care and compassion of the temple monks.

Well planned diet

RATNA KAPUR

The tigers are fed on a diet of cat food, which is cooked, as well as chicken bones and are never exposed to the smell or taste of blood or raw meat. They enjoy a healthy meal twice a day, once early in the morning after their cages are cleaned and then in the afternoon, before their afternoon walk in the canyon. And apart from the monks and tiger boys, the tigers are also cared for by two Irish volunteers from abroad, whose professionalism and expertise is in short supply and a desperate need of the monastery.

Achan together with Dr. Somsak Wattanasri, president of the Foundation of Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampano, has envisioned an 8.1 ha sanctuary that will be encircled by a moat and become the "new home" for the next generation of tigers. Achan no longer wants cages for these creatures, but to restore them to their habitat and the sense of pride that is the hallmark of the grand animals.

The major threat to the survival of the tiger in Thailand is not hunting or poaching. According to the World Wildlife Fund, it is the encroachment of farming practices onto their natural habitat. There are less than 200 of these wild cats left in Thailand and therefore it is difficult for hunters and poachers to find them. The tiger's prey — the Barking deer, the wild ox and the Sambar — are being poached, forcing the tigers at times to move into human habitation to look for food. And finally, although the killing of tigers is illegal in Thailand, advertising products that ostensibly contain tiger bone is not. The law needs to be changed in order to impact on demand.

Not enough assistance

At the same time, a new consciousness around the preservation of the tiger is being propagated. This includes the idea that it is more profitable to keep these creatures alive rather than to annihilate them. The idea of a tiger sanctuary is intended to benefit the tourist industry, provide locals with employment while at the same time achieve its primary object — the preservation of the tiger.

Work has already begun on dynamiting the rocky landscape to create space for the construction of the moat. The entire project is estimated to cost over 30 million baht (approximately one million CHF), though the end costs are likely to be much higher. There is an urgent need to construct the island as the monastery is unable to accommodate any more animals. There is also increasing concern over issues of safety as the tigers outnumber the monks and there is also not enough professional assistance at the monastery nor vets with expertise in the care and treatment of tigers.

Individual attention has become difficult to furnish. The project will be neither a forest nor a zoo. It is located somewhere in between the two. It is primarily directed towards preserving the second generation of tigers and stopping their numbers from dwindling, as well as to provide a space where the tigers can be observed and studied in their natural habitat.

The tigers and Achan, the monk who is the driving force behind this dream, are in critical need of donations for the daily feeding of the cats as well as for the construction of the "Tiger Island". If the project succeeds, it will provide a new lease of life to the tigers, and perhaps provide a release for Achan from his final one.

Further details about the "Temple of the Tigers" are available at www.tigertemple.com or by calling +66-34-53-557 or fax at +66-34-531-558

Copyright: 1995 - 2006 The Hindu

StevoTG
03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Not really a big story but I got to spend a few minutes with a young (18 weeks) African Grey Parrot today, they're fascinating, it was just taking in everything that was being said a lot like a toddler. I'd like to buy it, but I don't think Fred (cockatiel) would be keen:D

What the hell I might as well post a good story..... House passes animal torture bill; next stop is gov's deskHouse passes animal torture bill; next stop is gov's desk : http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8449770

Kristen
03-12-2008, 01:55 PM
NZ dolphin guides stranded whales

A playful New Zealand dolphin used to swimming round humans has amazed conservation workers by guiding two distressed whales back to sea away from likely death on a beach.

The dolphin led the two pygmy sperm whales 200 metres along the beach and through a channel to the open sea, Department of Conservation worker Malcolm Smith said on Wednesday.

The two whales, a mother and her young calf, were found stranded on Mahia Beach, on North Island's east coast on Monday morning, Smith said. "We worked for over an hour to try to get them back out to sea ... but they kept getting disorientated and stranding again" after swimming into a large sandbar just off the shore, he said. "They obviously couldn't find their way back past it to the sea," Smith said.

Four attempts by volunteers to refloat the pair failed and it was becoming highly likely they would have to be euthanised, he said. Then the dolphin, named Moko by local residents, swam up. "It was looking like it was going to be a bad outcome for the whales which was very disappointing and then Moko just came along and fixed it." Smith said it was quite possible Moko had heard the whales calling.

"The whales were quite distressed. They had arched their backs and were calling to one another, but as soon as the dolphin turned up they submerged into the water and followed her," he said.

"She obviously gave them enough guidance to leave the area because we haven't seen them since," Smith said. "The things that happen in nature never cease to amaze me."

Moko returned to the beach shortly afterward. The playful dolphin swam straight back close to shore and joined in water games with local residents, he added.

Short video [+ this article] here: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=174041

Kristen
03-15-2008, 11:06 AM
This needs to be shown. What a DIVA!!! roflmao...
http://i30.tinypic.com/1feqsh.jpg

DhammaTiger
03-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Great articles thank you.
Here is one I found which is quite distressing:

http://image.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/03/15/Spinner-Dolphin-460x-276.jpg

South Seas dolphins face slaughter for their teeth - or life in captivity

Islanders who turned sea red with blood now helping controversial sea lion tamer put dolphins on planes bound for Middle East

* Barbara McMahon in Honiara
* The Observer,
* Sunday March 16 2008
* Article history

About this article
Close
This article appeared in the Observer on Sunday March 16 2008 on p44 of the World news section. It was last updated at 10:41 on March 17 2008.
A spinner dolphin dances across the water

A spinner dolphin dances across the water. Photograph: Alamy

Link to this audio

In a ramshackle fishing village on the outskirts of Honiara, Robert Satu holds up a necklace made of dolphin teeth. Up to 20 dolphins were killed to make it, he estimates, draping the heavy ceremonial jewellery around his neck.

'We cut them like this,' he says, drawing his hand across his throat, indicating how the animals are decapitated and the teeth prised out. During the slaughter, he says, the sea turns crimson.

While the rest of the world sees dolphins as spirited creatures to be admired and cherished, the people of the Solomon Islands, an impoverished nation in the South Pacific, are not so sentimental. Every year, from December to March, men living in remote villages in Malaita province use dug-out canoes and boats to hunt dolphins.

Far out to sea, they attract the creatures by banging stones under water. Pods - as many as 200 dolphins - are herded towards the shore where the animals panic, driving their muzzles into the sand and suffocating. Villagers eat the meat but it is the teeth of certain species, particularly the spinner, that are most prized, used for special financial transactions such as paying dowries or 'bride price'.

The Malaitans are not the only people who see dolphins as a valuable commodity. Two hours by boat from the capital Honiara, on Gavutu Island, one man controversially claims to be working to save dolphins from the traditional hunts by selling them to aquariums.

The 40-acre island, surrounded by coral reefs teeming with life, has been leased by Chris Porter, 37, a former sea lion trainer from Vancouver, who established a dolphin export business in 2003. There was such an outcry over his first shipment of dolphins to a theme park in Mexico - nine of the mammals died soon after arrival - that Porter's activities were suspended amid fears that international condemnation of the trade would bring a boycott on the Solomon Islands' tuna fishing industry.

Last year the islands' government overturned the ban and he is back in business, employing 37 islanders in his burgeoning empire. Last October he sent a second shipment of 28 wild dolphins to Dubai. The animals were put on a barge, settled on mattress-like material, draped with wet cloths and transported from Gavutu to Honiara's domestic air terminal - closed for the occasion in case animal rights protesters tried to get near.

The dolphins were put into tanks on two chartered DC-10s for the 30-hour trip to Dubai. In September they are due to go on show in an aquarium.

Sitting in the sunshine on a floating wooden pontoon criss-crossing the pens containing his latest batch of captured dolphins - three adults and a calf - Porter is unperturbed by the criticism. He says: 'If I opened the pens and took them out to the open sea, they'd want to come back again. They're fed, they're happy and they are treated respectfully.'

He says he is showing islanders a way to use dolphins that is better for the animals and for the economy. His partner, Robert Satu, has certainly embraced the message. He has just bought a large fishing boat with his share of the proceeds of the Dubai shipment and says he will never kill another dolphin again. 'For me and my family, this is very good fortune,' says Satu, a father of three.

The Solomon Islands' government is unrepentant about the dolphin trade. Anyone querying its policy is handed a four-page memorandum that explains the government's stance - only 80 dolphins a year will be permitted to be exported from a plentiful population of two unendangered species - the Indian Ocean bottlenose dolphin and the bottlenose dolphin.

At his Honiara office, Dr Christian Ramofafia, permanent secretary in the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources, says he is aware of the outrage of animal welfare groups. 'This is a relatively poor country and the export of dolphins contributes to the revenue that is important to supplement the livelihood of many of our rural people,' he says. He says a government delegation went to Dubai to check on the health of the 28 dolphins and insists that they are all in good shape.

Such backing has given Porter a certain swagger and he has grandiose plans for Gavutu. He wants to build a resort where tourists can have 'unlimited time' with the dolphins. He walks around the former Second World War Japanese seaplane base, describing overwater bungalows he will build on one side, a dive centre and backpacker resort on the other and a luxury hotel in the middle.

At present, there is only a half-finished bar and dining hall and a few huts for the workers who feed the dolphins and acclimatise them to human touch. Porter says Gavutu will become an education and research centre.

Animal activists claim dozens of dolphins have died since Porter's Marine Mammal Education Centre first began operating, some because they were fed bad fish, others through hunger when a cyclone prevented anyone getting to the island to feed them. Some spotted dolphins apparently pined to death.

Porter is remarkably honest about these disasters - fish that had been partially defrosted because of electricity blackouts were refrozen and fed to the dolphins, with tragic results. 'We did have spotted dolphins and they didn't adapt to captivity.' During the Dubai transfer, carcasses of dead dolphins photographed by the side of the road near Honiara airport were printed in the media, alleged to have come from his shipment. Porter says it was part of a dirty tricks campaign against him. 'Those were not our dolphins. All of our dolphins are microchipped so they are easily identifiable.' He says he ploughs profits - a live dolphin can fetch up to £50,000 - back into his business.

But some, such as activist Lawrence Maliki, say he exploits locals. Maliki has teamed up with the Earth Island Institute of San Francisco, an animal welfare group, to fight Porter's operation. 'He's paying hunters a pittance for the dolphins and then selling them on at big prices. These animals are being kept in prisons for the entertainment of rich people instead of being free. I'd like to see Porter exported from the Solomons, the way he's exporting our dolphins.'

Sue Arnold, of Australians for Animals, claims the mammals that survive capture are kept in unhygienic and unnatural conditions in sea pens on Gavutu where it is hard for people to check on their health before they are transported abroad. 'The tragedy is that the Solomons desperately need sustainable industries to help the islanders economically and bring them respect, not international condemnation,' she says.

'Porter is exploiting this situation, pure and simple,' she adds. Referring to the dolphin hunts, she says: 'Nobody wants dead dolphins and nobody wants a trade in dolphins. They belong in the ocean, that's the bottom line.'

Back on Gavutu the dolphins are being put through another training session. They brush playfully against Porter and his staff, getting fish as treats, unaware that they are at the centre of a continuing controversy.

Listen to the audio clip on:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/16/3

Modern Humans are the worst blight on the face of the earth . No other species has created wanton destruction of the ecologu and murder of other living things as much as our fellow humans have. We are so ignorant, so ignorant :sad:

Kristen
03-19-2008, 02:59 PM
It's terrible. Can't they use nice shells instead. I remember in the animal welfare doco Earthlings, or some other video similarly graphic, I saw footage of how groups herd dolphins into tiny bays before slaughtering them. So brutal [Pretty sure it was Japanese though, I seem to recall being incredibly pi$$ed off at the culture a while back. Still am to an extent of course]

Now for some happier news, which I am posting everywhere, and to loads of people I know - but am getting next to no response...

Australian Orangutan Project Fundraiser
Walkathon - 2008 [Sydney details]

On Sunday March 30th, the AOP will hold a national walkathon to raise funds and awareness of the plight of the Sumatran Orangutan. Details as follows:

11am-1pm start
Como Bridge, Oatley side
ENTRY $10 pp / $20 Family

Registration Marquee @ Myra Place [Just off Oatley Pde]
Information – Merchandise – Adoptions
Kiosk other side of bridge

For further information, contact Gail (or me):
nsw@orangutan.org.au
All money raised will go directly to the AOP (http://www.orangutan.org.au).

Thanks for reading :wavey:
There is also an event being held in Perth. Somehow the other states couldn't get it together.

EDIT: I just found this on youtube. Amazing. Orangutan giving birth. Having to remove the placenta with your mouth would kinda suck, but it's pretty beautiful overall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVnFJDjUyQ

StevoTG
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Has anyone seen any of the documentary series `Why Dogs Smile and Chimps Cry` on National Geographic? I've only seen bits of it but it looks fascinating. It's all about animal emotions.

On a separate note there is a sad story here : http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5677513.html . It is titled Police say chimp grabbed dart gun before being shot to death.

The following article (http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=69811) on the same story has some interesting comments below it, including: chimps
this is rediculas this chimp has clearly displayed a level of intelligence than lets face some people don't even have and yet its nothing more than a caged animal to most people.

and if the officer did give the chimp a warning shot and tyhe chimp didn't stop of flee well that again is another great mark of intellilect; focus.

people that do this to animals esspecially as intelligent as this one are absolutely disgusting, atleast no less disgustign a person than one who would to this to a human...

even worse is the fact that chimps actually are capable of defending themselves, and thus lethal force is used in fear against it.

thirc such escape attempt huh, you think you mighty let them go rather than abusing the f*ck out of them, i mean they obviously don't like where their at... but then i suppose scientists would love being kept in a cage as well..

humans the worst animals of all.

Kristen
05-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Recently we asked Animals Australia’s Campaigns Response Team and Dedicated Action Network to send urgent letters to Queen Rania, the Queen of Jordan, and Mayor Omar Maani calling for the closure of a dreadfully cruel slaughterhouse in Jordan.

Animals Australia’s Communication Director Lyn White and her co-investigator had documented the brutal treatment of animals at this facility last September. In having reached an impasse in our negotiations with the Jordanian government to close this facility we asked two of our Action teams to write to the Queen Rania to seek her assistance.

Yesterday we received communication from the sister of King Abdullah of Jordan. Alia Al Hussein conveyed her sincere thanks for the en masse emails that were forwarded to her and told us that armed with the support that she had received from Australia she 'stormed' into the Mayor’s office to make him watch the footage. The fantastic news that she was able to convey is that this slaughterhouse has now been closed and that the Jordanian government will now seek assistance from international welfare groups to provide training that could significantly reduce suffering in the country.
In other news, I went to a book launch for Dr Willie Smits [started Borneo Orangutan Survival (BOS) I believe] at Taronga Zoo last night. Amazing. He was so positive. He's doing a lot of great work with the locals, and has them doing a great deal of the work on the land that has been purchased to be regenerated into forest [effing palm oil plantations!!]. Anyone interested in his story, the book is called "Thinkers of the Jungle....The Orangutan Report". He's one of three authors, the pictures are astounding. Between 250-300 pages I think. Picked it up for $60. Any fans of Orangutans, conservation, or community development should definitely take a look at this book. :hatoff:

Kristen
06-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I sent lifetime membership money to MTF. This site doesn't even work lately. So let's spare the huge post I had written out...

Here's a matador, getting gored in the gonads (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1026698/Pictured-Superstar-matador-gets-gored-TWO-angry-bulls.html). AWESOME work by the bull. Poor guy? No sympathy from me. He's alive. It's karma. He's no hero for this :bs: tradition [I love Spain but get with the times and stop the barbaric 'heroics'. In my original post I was less offensive].

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/06/16/article-0-019F64E200000578-373_468x371.jpg
I love it. The guys face. The bulls eye/horn. Cop that.

Kristen
06-29-2008, 03:45 PM
A message from ATAAC [Australian Teens Against Animal Cruelty]:

We were contacted by the Greek animal rescue recently as they have a petition they are trying to get 100,000 signatures for.

Here at ATAAC we have viewed many disturbing acts of cruelty, been disgusted and angry at so many injustices that happen every day to animals, but the situation going on in Greece against stray cats and dogs would have to be one of the worst of any country. Daily occurrences of the most horrifying deliberate acts on a scale which is hard to believe.

Battery acid thrown on dogs, beaten, hung from trees and bridges, wire tied around legs, necks, and snouts, puppies and kittens bashed, legs hacked off and being set on fire are common occurrences.

PLEASE take the time to add this group I know Greece seems so far away from us but they really need our help to get people to sign their petition (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/greece-ignoring-animal-welfare-laws%3E%20%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cfont%20size%20=) to try and do something to help these poor animals.

Watch the slideshow, look at their MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/bonniekali123)pictures, leave a comment and spread around the petition to show that we care.

Here is a video of some of the cruelty that occurs, a warning that some of the pictures are quite graphic.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IXgwhKw55dI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IXgwhKw55dI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bibberz
06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
My brother sent me this youtube link a couple of weeks ago. Most of you have probably seen (or heard of) it, but I thought I'd post it anyway:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x-kGj97rI0A

Here's a related article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-452820/Christian-lion-lived-London-living-room.html

dam0dred
06-29-2008, 07:42 PM
My brother sent me this youtube link a couple of weeks ago. Most of you have probably seen (or heard of) it, but I thought I'd post it anyway:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x-kGj97rI0A

Here's a related article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-452820/Christian-lion-lived-London-living-room.html

Is it sad that I nearly started crying from that? :sad:

Anyway, for anyone interested in the environment or the green movement, here are few books you should check out over the summer to get you up to speed. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HKBJ5BRNL._SS500_.jpg

Introduction to Permaculture (http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Permaculture-Bill-Mollison/dp/0908228082/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214764556&sr=8-1)

http://www.buildersbooksource.com/booksite/images/items/0060533226.jpg

Biomimicry - Innovation Inspired by Nature (http://www.amazon.com/Biomimicry-Innovation-Inspired-Janine-Benyus/dp/0060533226/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214764662&sr=1-1)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0316353000.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Natural Capitalism - Creating the Next Industrial Revolution (http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Capitalism-Creating-Industrial-Revolution/dp/0316353000/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214764807&sr=1-1)

:wavey:

Purple Rainbow
06-29-2008, 07:46 PM
http://www.nctexasbirds.com/australia/year2/P3220065.JPG

:)

Bibberz
06-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Is it sad that I nearly started crying from that?:sad:

That Aerosmith song always makes me misty-eyed, too.....Seriously, though, check some of the Youtube comments--most people admitted to crying. So, no, it's not sad. Well, it's not uncommon anyway. :)

Kristen
07-05-2008, 05:33 AM
I'm sure it's just the angle, but that wombat looks huuuuge! This is from the ATP Insider, July 3rd. It's not the typical thing I would post here, but until now, for some reason, I was never a fan of Gonzalez. Seems he's earnt a few brownie points :lol:

Gonzalez Sweats on Missing Dog "Pato"
Top 20 Chilean Fernando González had a frantic weekend when his prized Samoyed disappeared on Sunday night in his hometown of Santiago, Chile.

Fortunately for Gonzalez, "Pato," his white samoyed was found Monday afternoon near his home in the Le Reina neighborhood of Santiago. Gonzalez, who gave a $1,000 reward for the finding of Pato, said, "Pato has been found. Thanks to all the people that helped me with information about Pato, to the people that sent me messages with their support and thanks to the media for helping me. I want to give thanks to everybody."

Gonzalez has another dog, "Roke," a bulldog. The Gonzalez family has eight dogs and two cats. Gonzo's younger sister, Jessica, is studying to be a veterinarian.

Gonzalez, a lifetime lover of dogs, recalls a story of seeing a small terrier mix run down by a car on a busy Santiago highway. Pulling his car to the side of the road, Gonzalez embarks on a rescue mission to save the dog - which is barely moving and nursing a broken hip - from being hit a second time. But not everyone wants to be rescued.

"I tried to get the dog, but he didn't want to come," says the 2007 Australian Open finalist. "He wasn't moving much and I could see he had a hip problem, so I couldn't just leave him there."

Suddenly recalling that he is in the middle of a highway, Gonzalez turns his head to check for oncoming traffic, only to be bitten near the base of his little finger on his right hand - his playing hand! "It wasn't a hard bite, but it was a special part of my hand. He was afraid; that's why he bit me. I didn't want to leave him but at that point I didn't know what to do."

Gonzalez returns to his car only to be followed by the dog, who crawls underneath the vehicle. "Maybe that was a sign he really wanted my help," Gonzalez says. Risking further injury, Gonzalez lures the dog out and puts it into the front passenger seat of his car alongside his friend. To this day Gonzalez is unsure of the breed of the dog, but likens him to Benji, the terrier mix who found fame on the big screen.

Kristen
10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
I think many of you will have heard this already; it's from September.

Keys man punches shark to save his dog
ISLAMORADA -- Greg LeNoir watched in horror as a shark's mouth opened wide Friday, chomping a large set of teeth on his beloved 14-pound dog, Jake.

''Noooooo,'' LeNoir shrieked, fearing the worst.

But the case of the rat terrier versus shark has a happy ending. ''Jake's doing great,'' LeNoir's brother, Phillip, said Monday. ``And I still can't believe my brother jumped in the water and punched a shark.''

The saga began Friday afternoon when Greg LeNoir took Jake to the Worldwide Sportsman's Bayside Marina pier in Islamorada for the dog's daily swim. LeNoir said Jake is a fast and fearless swimmer, often retrieving jellyfish and soaked coconuts.

But this time Jake, a 28-month-old rescue dog, unexpectedly encountered the shark, which was about five-feet long. As Jake disappeared under the water, LeNoir conquered his own fear and sprang to action.

''I clenched my fists and dove straight in with all my strength, like a battering ram,'' LeNoir, 53, said Sunday, reliving the ordeal. ``I hit the back of the shark's neck. It was like hitting concrete.''

Sharks are not uncommon in the marina, which is near the Islamorada Fish Company's open saltwater pool that attracts large tarpon.

LeNoir, a finish carpenter, said he believes it was either a bull shark or lemon shark after describing the creature to local fishermen and another brother, Louie, a shark tooth collector in Orlando.

LeNoir's wife of 17 years, Tessalee, said she wasn't shocked by her husband's heroics: ``People know him as Dr. Dolittle. He's the one who climbs up a tree to save a possum.'' Lenoir added: 'We have no children. Jake became our child. When I saw the shark engulf him, I thought, `This can't be the end.' ''

The shark let go of Jake, and the dog popped to the surface, frantically swimming the few yards to shore. LeNoir followed, paddling through a red trail of blood from the dog.

At VCA Upper Keys Animal Hospital in Islamorada, veterinarian Suzanne Sigel and emergency on-call assistant Callie Cottrell patched Jake's wounds.

''Amazingly, he wasn't critical,'' Sigel said. "He's one lucky dog." The shark's teeth punctured Jake's skin and some muscle on the dog's abdomen, chest and back in a pattern that looked like ''an upside down smile,'' Sigel said. Jake also suffered lacerations on his right side and front left leg, with skin hanging like ribbons, LeNoir said.

''The shark put almost all of Jake in his mouth, except for his head and three of his legs,'' LeNoir said. Sigel reexamined Jake Monday and said the pooch is expected to recover.

''He looks great and is recuperating well,'' she said. ``I was worried he may have inhaled salt water when he was pulled under, but there's no evidence of infection or pneumonia. He's healing great.''

10K Futures Qualifier
10-14-2008, 12:12 AM
I don't care for the enviorment, just kidding!

Kristen
10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't care for the enviorment, just kidding!:lol: You should have seen my expression change when I read this =)

Another nice story I just posted on FaceBook. There's an URL to a video at the end.

A few years ago, a chimpanzee at the Detroit Zoo was rescued from drowning in the zoo's moat by a visitor who leaped in to save him. (Chimps don't swim.) The chimp had been knocked out in a fight with one of its mates. When the other chimp approached the invading human, screaming and with canines bared threateningly, the visitor, Rick Swope, jumped back over the enclosure fence to safety [and his family] just in time.

When asked why he had risked his own life to save that of a chimpanzee, he replied, "Well, I looked into his eyes. It was like looking into the eyes of a man. The message was, Won't anybody help me?"

==========

Jane Goodall mentioned this during her talk on Sunday. Rick jumped into the water, reached down and felt a tuft of hair and was able to pull the chimp back up and out of it. Problems arose when Rick and the chimp began to slide down the muddy banks back into the water. At the last moment, the chimp managed to grasp enough grass to pull himself from the water.:worship:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/man-saves-chimpanzee-from-drowning/122860505

tangerine_dream
02-17-2009, 10:29 PM
To brighten up everybody's week, I present to you, a bucket of baby owls!

http://data.tumblr.com/zzvD5uvmV206j3z32lGf4UG3_500.jpg

And more good news!

Beaver sighted in Detroit River for the first time in 75 years

Wildlife officials are celebrating the sighting of a beaver in the Detroit River for the first time in decades, signaling that efforts to clean up the waterway are paying off. The Detroit Free Press reports that a beaver lodge has been discovered in an intake canal at a Detroit Edison riverfront plant. Officials believe the beaver spotted by the utility's motion-sensitive camera marks the animal's return to the river for the first time in at least 75 years. Photos and video were taken in November, but Detroit Edison didn't want to release them until they could ensure the animal's safety. John Hartig, Detroit River refuge manager for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, says the cleanup along the river has also brought back sturgeons, peregrine falcons and other species.

http://i41.tinypic.com/28imhxd.jpg

In this photo released by Detroit Edison is shown a beaver at a Detroit Edison riverfront plant on Nov. 29, 2008, in Detroit. The Detroit Free Press reports Monday, Feb. 16, 2009, a single beaver lodge has been discovered in an intake canal at the riverfront plant. Officials believe the beaver spotted by the utility's motion-sensitive camera marks the animal's return to the river for the first time in at least 75 years. (AP Photo/D

Jōris
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
To brighten up everybody's week, I present to you, a bucket of baby owls!

http://data.tumblr.com/zzvD5uvmV206j3z32lGf4UG3_500.jpg

:hearts:

Longingly waiting for their parents to barf mice parts into their throats.

In related subject, I like this picture too:

http://g-madhuri.sulekha.com/mstore/g-madhuri/albums/default/Owl%20and%20Rat.jpg

tangerine_dream
06-15-2009, 08:47 PM
From dlisted.....

http://www.dlisted.com/files/imeldafoxfox.jpg

Imelda the shoe-thieving fox! - A little town in Germany just couldn't figure out who was stealing all of their shoes. For more than a year, some sneaky ho stole around 120 pairs of shoes from doorsteps and garden terraces. They probably figured it was some kinky bitch with a major shoe fetish who was dry humping them in the middle of the night. The thief turned out to be a real fox. No, an actual fox. A ginge fox too! A worker found dozens of shoes in a nearby fox den and a few more in a nearby quarry. They believe homegirl brought the shoes to her cubs as toys, because there were bite marks all over them. Some of the shoes were returned to their rightful owners, but that hasn't stopped Imelda. The shoe robber was back at it a few nights later.

StevoTG
08-13-2009, 06:41 AM
:sad: NT kids mourn monster croc http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/849521/nt-kids-mourn-monster-croc

:) Lost Dog Saves Man With Down Syndrome From Nearly Fatal Seizure
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538724,00.html?test=latestnews

StevoTG
08-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Photo-crashing squirrel becomes online hit
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/849629/photo-crashing-squirrel-becomes-online-sensation

tangerine_dream
10-01-2009, 08:48 PM

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6986/supowl.jpg (http://img121.imageshack.us/i/supowl.jpg/)

Jōris
10-02-2009, 10:56 AM

http://i38.tinypic.com/330fsd1.jpg

*Ljubica*
10-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Haven't really seen this thread much for a while - but all these owls are just amazing :inlove: Thank you - I just adore owls :D

tangerine_dream
10-02-2009, 10:13 PM
"Not another Federer-Nadal thread."

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1766/107930750d55b208eac.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/i/107930750d55b208eac.jpg/)

tangerine_dream
03-26-2010, 07:14 PM
OH HAI.

http://i40.tinypic.com/xatann.jpg

Eden
08-02-2010, 09:07 PM
zaP7STV1aFs

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Ivanatis
08-02-2010, 09:36 PM
http://www.ajc.com/news/what-do-you-get-579865.html

tangerine_dream
08-02-2010, 10:05 PM
^^ That cat video breaks my heart. I believe many animals do mourn.

TjtrdpSwEUY

BigJohn
08-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I've seen a lot of animal docs in my life, but this is the most amazing footage I've seen ever.

8 minutes and 24 secs, take the time to watch it all.

LU8DDYz68kM

Tennisleader01
08-03-2010, 02:38 PM
This thread is really cool...I adore nature. I love animals more than humans...I hope you won't judge me for that.

I love especially dogs..they are so loyal, and give so much affection. And they are very smart. :)

Tennisleader01
08-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Here are some photos with my dog. ( It's a caniche) The other photos are taken this winter at a lake in Braila, with other dogs that we take care of. :)

Tennisleader01
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
We intend to make an association with a friend of ours. Throughout this, we'll help the dogs on the street to live better. The fact is that we need sponsors to help us fulfil our dream.

turtle-rn
08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I've seen a lot of animal docs in my life, but this is the most amazing footage I've seen ever.
Did see that one a while ago, astonishing piece of animal behaviour indeed. And lol@some of the recent comments on it. >_<

turtle-rn
08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
6gAxbxxmYZ8

r9gGfc0jlCs

NID, bird dance >>>>>> human dance. ^_^

Eden
08-26-2011, 10:45 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8723954/Devoted-dog-guards-Navy-SEALs-coffin.html

:awww:

BigJohn
08-28-2011, 03:56 PM
ks_3o46ThUs&NR

BigJohn
08-31-2011, 12:05 AM
This is great news!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14706772

Dee and Taff in Environment Agency improved rivers list

The River Dee and the River Taff have been named in an Environment Agency top 10 list of most improved rivers in England and Wales.

The Taff, in south Wales, has recovered from a "lifeless river" to become a popular angling destination.

And the water quality of the Dee, which flows for 70 miles through Wales and England, has benefited from stricter rules on industrial pollution.

But the Environment Agency said there is "still more to be done".

The agency's list praised the waterways in England and Wales that have shrugged off their industrial past to become havens for wildlife, walkers and anglers.

And it urged members of the public to walk along their local rivers to see the regeneration for themselves.

The transformation of the rivers has been achieved through "habitat improvement projects, tighter regulation of polluting industries and work with farmers, businesses and water companies to reduce pollution and improve water quality".

River habitats have also benefited from reductions in the volume of water taken by water companies, farmers and industry.
No life

Ian Barker, head of land and water at the Environment Agency, said: "Britain's rivers are the healthiest for over 20 years and otters, salmon and other wildlife are returning for the first time since the industrial revolution.

"But there is still more to be done, and we have plans to transform a further 9,500 miles of rivers in England and Wales by 2015 - the equivalent of the distance between the UK and Australia."

As recently as the 1980s, the rivers of south Wales were so polluted that no life could survive.

But 30 years on, following the closure of the coal mines and work by environmental groups, the Taff is now home to many species of wildlife, including salmon, otters, sea trout and eels.

The water quality has dramatically improved, after the introduction of tighter controls on industrial discharges, and improvements in sewage treatment processes.

The River Dee, also known as Afon Dyfrdwy, rises in Snowdonia and forms part of the border between Wales and England. It is one of the biggest single sources of water supply in the UK.

It is also an important natural fishery, and its stocks of salmon and trout prove a magnet for many angling clubs.

During the winter, more than 100,000 waders and 20,000 water fowl make the River Dee their home.

Improved water quality has led to the development of the Dee Estuary, which is now home to a sustainable cockle industry.

Strict conditions on commercial discharges from industrialised areas into the River Dee has reduced pollution from toxic chemicals.

David Leigh of the Environment Agency told BBC Wales: "There have been parts that have been polluted in the past with chemicals.

"We've been regulating industries and making sure that what they do doesn't harm the environment and wildlife.

"There's been lots of efforts made over many years to improve water quality.

"One of the things we were able to do on the Dee was to put in a protection zone...it gave us powers to ensure that operators that were on the Dee above the weir were able to store chemicals correctly and to make sure that what they stored was correctly disposed of."

The Environment Agency has reviewed thousands of abstraction licences and is now amending those causing environmental damage.

It took us long enough...

Roger the Dodger
08-31-2011, 11:25 AM
This story is about "Tiger Temple", a monastery in the West of Thailand, in Kanchanaburi province. For those who saw the film The Bridge on the River Kwai, the temple is not far from that location. Although the tigers are in confinement the templeis doing an admirable job in saving them from poachers. I found the story on Buddhist Channel http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?index

What an excellent article! Thanks.

Roger the Dodger
08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/06/16/article-0-019F64E200000578-373_468x371.jpg
I love it. The guys face. The bulls eye/horn. Cop that.

I resent this sport. For that matter, both the Spanish sports involving bulls. Humans might be entertained but its plain wrong, both to themselves and to the bulls.

Traditions are there, but many traditions have been wiped out over time. This one should belong to history as well.

Hopefully soon.

Roger the Dodger
08-31-2011, 11:36 AM
No thread on nature can be complete without mentioning the great David Attenborough's masterpiece:

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/4305/plantslifecover4mo.jpg

Must watch for all nature lovers. Plants have never been shot this well before. You can -- dare I say it -- almost sense them 'thinking'.

merryploughbhoy
10-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Chinese scum at it again, If there not busy destroying our planet with their polution then they are torturing defenceless animals for their 'traditional' remedies.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20110805-292947.html

Roadmap
10-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Hyenas are born with their eyes open and with a full set of teeth. That is some serious shit.