"I love you Dad" and "Andy's Mojo" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"I love you Dad" and "Andy's Mojo"

tennischick
09-12-2005, 04:01 PM
i'm working on a piece on tennis players superstitions. a lot of tennis players are notoriously superstitious, from Hewitt's refusal to change a winning cap during a tourny, to Justine's phobia about touching the lines. within the world of professional sports, superstitions are the norm, not the exception. which has me shaking my head over two blatant violations of the typical tendency towards cautious, superstitious thinking.

the first of course is Roddick's endorsement of an ad campaign stating that he had lost his mojo. that has already been much discussed and i have no new ridicule to pile on. the second was James Blake looking up into the heavens and saying "I love you Dad" when he was 4-0 in the tiebreaker against Agassi. it's one thing to say "I love you Dad" when you have won the tiebreaker as well as the match. but to do so at 4-0 was cocky, premature -- and against the cautious superstition typical of most tennis players. any ideas why either of these players would have taken such risks with fate?

comments?

Dirk
09-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Keep doing more research. :)

R.Federer
09-12-2005, 05:12 PM
any ideas why either of these players would have taken such risks with fate?

comments?

Well, Roge has admitted that at Wimbledon after breaking andi in the last set, he started thinking about "how is it going to feel this time to win, hold the trophy, I am only 8 points more, and its in my hands". That is also the temptation of fate, but thank God fate is not tempted there ;)

Fee
09-12-2005, 07:15 PM
I thought it was Courier who wouldn't change his cap and McEnroe who was superstitious about touching lines. And James didn't say 'thank you' he said 'I love you Dad.' Where will this article be appearing?

tennischick
09-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Keep doing more research. :)
i am. i also want your ideas :p

LoveFifteen
09-12-2005, 08:03 PM
I thought it was Martina Hingis who wouldn't step on the lines.

The most likely answer to the OP's question is that these players don't believe in fate or destiny. They don't think they are tempting anything. :shrug:

the cat
09-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Good luck with the piece TC. But I think it was 3-0 in the tiebreak when James said that. ;) And if I recall correctly Bjorn Borg was very superstitious.

tennischick
09-12-2005, 08:08 PM
...The most likely answer to the OP's question is that these players don't believe in fate or destiny. They don't think they are tempting anything. :shrug:
this is what i need to know. is it that Blake and Roddick are two of the exceptions and do not have say Agassi's quirk about the ballkids being arranged just so in order for him to win? :shrug:

tennischick
09-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Good luck with the piece TC. But I think it was 3-0 in the tiebreak when James said that. ;) And if I recall correctly Bjorn Borg was very superstitious.
i remember it being 4-0 but i will doubleckeck. he certainly felt he was about to win which is more likely to be the case at 4-0 than at 3-0.

what were Borg's superstitions? :confused:

the cat
09-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Borg absolutely hated playing at night. :scared: Especially at the U.S. Open. :eek: And he was one of those players who liked keeping routines that worked if things were going well for him.

TC, did you know Borg won 10 grand slam singles titles by the age of 24? :worship:

Did you double check yet? ;) :hug:

tennischick
09-13-2005, 12:32 AM
aha! i just finished watching some of James' USO post-match interviews and he did actually talk about jinking the baseball team by wearing their clothing! :eek:

now his behavior makes even less sense to me. :shrug:

now i'm gonna check the score to see when exactly James said this.

The Pro
09-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Apparently people are more superstitious about things that involve a great deal of chance.

Like gamblers have a lot of superstitions (not throwing out betting slips, keepinh them about their person, etc).

Obviously tennis involves a lot of chance, like with net cords, lucky mishits, dumb linesmen (all things beyond the player's control).

Dokic wont step on the lines, and I think everyone knows what Goran was like.

George_Hanson
09-13-2005, 03:13 PM
is there somebody who is not changing the socks after a won match ?

Xytraguptorh
09-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Well when I played tennis in High School I didn't change my underwear or wash my sheets all season

I just kept winning, but I had a serious case of swamp ass

alelysafina
09-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Well when I played tennis in High School I didn't change my underwear or wash my sheets all season

:spit: Dude, that so sick and unhygenic :cuckoo:

PaulieM
09-13-2005, 06:33 PM
there was an article on tennis superstions on bob larson's a while ago. one i remember is petrova i think always wants to sit on the same side of the umpire's chair throughout a tournament.

Raquel
09-13-2005, 11:44 PM
the second was James Blake looking up into the heavens and saying "I love you Dad" when he was 4-0 in the tiebreaker against Agassi. it's one thing to say "I love you Dad" when you have won the tiebreaker as well as the match. but to do so at 4-0 was cocky, premature -- and against the cautious superstition typical of most tennis players. any ideas why either of these players would have taken such risks with fate?

Are you sure that's what James said? I remember that bit and I thought he said something about his forehand although I didn't catch the first words he said. To me it looked like he looked up to the sky in frustration after losing a point and said something like "____ _____ my forehand" and kind of rolled his eyes.

avocadoe
09-14-2005, 01:15 AM
James said it after a great shot, either 3 or 4, I think 3-0, but I felt he was talking about that shot, as if his Dad was looking down at him, believing in him? It did feel like a jinx, sometimes when Hewitt cmons real hard after he wins a big point, he loses the next.

tennischick
09-14-2005, 04:54 AM
the cat and avocadoe are right. i stand corrected :worship:

In the fifth-set tiebreak, Blake looked up and said, "I love you, dad."

Blake went up 3-0 in the tiebreak, but Agassi soon found his rhythm. Points were long, and Blake had the match on his racket, lost both points but staved off one match point. Then as Blake served on the second match point, Agassi nailed a service-return forehand up the line to reach the semifinal.

"In your stomach it's just disappointment,'' Blake said.

After the two-hour, 51-minute match was over, both competitors embraced at the net and Blake put his arm around Agassi's shoulder and said, "I want to see you do it again."

source: http://www.thejournalnews.com/

partygirl
09-14-2005, 05:43 AM
andy has said he is not superstisious thats probbly why he didnt mind.
i really think that superstitions only have as much power as we give them credit.

Tennis Fool
09-14-2005, 08:30 AM

Yuck. :haha:

Tennis Fool
09-14-2005, 08:34 AM
TC: You could mention the SI cover curse...

Thoughts: Did Coria mess up the third set to Gaudio in the 04 FO by thinking too far ahead of time? Maybe there's some old articles on the Novotna/Graf Wimbledon final that could help you out...

Weren't Safin's Blondes supposed to be good luck also?

the cat
09-14-2005, 03:30 PM
TC! :hug: :smooch:

Yes TF, Safin's blondes were supposed to be good luck. But it didn't work out that way. Instead Safin's blondes brought the good luck to blonde Swede Thomas Johansson in the 2002 Australian Open final. ;)

Noelle
09-14-2005, 04:58 PM
andy has said he is not superstisious thats probbly why he didnt mind.
i really think that superstitions only have as much power as we give them credit.
I think that Andy's mildly superstitious. In his run at TMS Cincinnati he wore his Wimbledon whites and even wore a cap with a grass stain on the top, and in his first round US Open loss, after losing the second set he changed into all-white clothing.

Paradorn Srichaphan also has a clothing superstition; he considers red as his lucky color and wears red Adidas clothing as much as possible. (I think he even dyed his hair red late last year!)