Wash DC area players -- Tournament to Benefit Katrina Relief Aid [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wash DC area players -- Tournament to Benefit Katrina Relief Aid

Angle Queen
09-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Sorry for cluttering up GM with this but we've asked and asked for a "Players" forum.

Anyhow, many USTA local chapters are sponsoring events to benefit the Katrina Relief Fund. Here's the one for the Washington, DC area.

Katrina Relief Fundraising Tennis Event -- Reston, VA (http://www.network.usta.com/publish.sps?syndicatorguid={FB8E431A-1CC5-47C9-BF18-E6D76015B8D0}&rmasiteinstanceguid={6E71DBC4-E0EF-4491-9228-E2EED22C127A}&rmapageid=24&pagegid=%7BDF3BA06A%2D252F%2D4AE7%2DA328%2D3A3A301 1EE17%7D&pageType=single&newsid=235157&sectionID=2506)

So if you're a player, please check your local websites or Tennislink for a tournament near you. Some are "rated", others aren't...but they're small one day events and offer a great chance to meet other tennis players/instructors from your area and contribute to a worthy cause.

SwissMister1
09-12-2005, 03:02 PM
That seems pretty cool, I don't think it would be too competitive or anything since it doesn't seem to show a rating there. Too bad I'm already goin to a hurricane benefit thing in Annapolis that day...

Angle Queen
09-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah, the DC one looks a bit more relaxed than what they're doing here in Richmond. The Country Club of Virginia is hosting the event and it's a sanctioned tourney. Still, I thought some of y'all out there might be interested. I actually prefer the smaller round robin kind of things anyway...especially for this fundraiser kind of deals.

:eek: Check out this place....

http://www.ceclients.com/sites/ccofvirginia/images/ccv_login_bg.jpg

As a bit of an aside story, CCV (as it's known around here) hasn't always had the best "race" relations and reportedly denied membership to a young, prominent...and black attorney named L. Douglas Wilder.

Well, a few years passed, and Mr Wilder ran for, and become Virginia's first black governor. CCV has had a long standing practice of extending lifetime memberships to our governors...and, guess what, had to offer one to The Honorable L. Douglas Wilder.

The rumor still circulates...that he turned them down. :yeah:

While Doug Wilder is no longer governor, he was recently elected Mayor of Richmond.

SwissMister1
09-12-2005, 03:53 PM
That's a funny story, guess he got his revenge...

I'm going to rest my knee up, I'm playing on the red clay at College Park with a friend in two weeks.