Article: Hewitt stunned by personal attack response to NY Times Article [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Article: Hewitt stunned by personal attack response to NY Times Article

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 10:39 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Hewitt-stunned-by-personal-attack/2005/09/12/1126377245681.html?oneclick=true

Hewitt stunned by personal attack
September 12, 2005 - 3:29PM

Lleyton Hewitt has left Flushing Meadows without the US Open trophy and bewildered about a scathing personal attack on him and his entourage from the New York Times.

A story headlined "The only thing worse than c'mon! is incessant yes" - which also made its way into several major newspapers in Australia last week - said Hewitt was "self-absorbed" and surrounded by "yes men".

The article, written by Selena Roberts, also compared Australia's former world No.1 unfavourably to current top dog Roger Federer and has incensed Team Hewitt.

"The meaning of a number depends on who is No.1. As an ex-No.1, Lleyton Hewitt pulled off a rarity for him as he scurried around Arthur Ashe Stadium on Tuesday without offending a linesman with a slur, infuriating his opponent with an obscene gesture or irritating the crowd with his excessive "C'mons", the story began.

"He didn't have enough time. It took only 94 minutes for Hewitt to dispense of Dominik Hrbaty in the fourth round of the US Open. Hewitt saved his tasteless remarks for later, when he poked at the holes cut into the shoulder blades of Hrbaty's shirt.

Hewitt is unvarnished, irascible and impolitic. In other words, he hasn't changed a bit since he was the No.1 player in 2001 and 2002, when he created a trail of charged feuds with players and legal disputes with the ATP. He is as self-absorbed as ever.

"The difference in depth between Hewitt and Federer, and the divergence in their approach to No.1, is certainly two parts personality but at least one part entourage. Hewitt is surrounded by a bevy of yes men and sycophantic handlers, while Federer has chosen an agent-less existence, grounded by a girlfriend/manager who will tell the emperor off."

Before leaving New York, Hewitt's manager Robert Aivatoglou said Team Hewitt had been stunned at the criticism.

"Lleyton's disappointed. He doesn't understand where the motivation for this type of article comes from," Aivatoglou said.

"I'm not sure where it came from and I couldn't help but feel it was a personal attack. Why would you suddenly want to dig up or dredge up some old material."

Hewitt's behaviour in years gone by has polarised fans at Flushing Meadows, with many admiring his fighting spirit and as many others unable to relate to his often bullish ways.

The 24-year-old put himself offside with locals in 2001 when he was accused of making a racial slur in a five-set win over Afro-American James Blake.

But other than copping a $US1000 ($A1,300) fine for an audible obscenity during his second-round win over Jose Acasuso, Hewitt's on-court demeanour could not be faulted at this year's Open.

He actually appeared strangely subdued in several matches.

"You look at his behaviour and there's been absolutely nothing you could point your finger at him for," Aivatoglou said.

"When he said he wouldn't wear Hrbaty's shirt, everyone was laughing in the press room. Even Hrbaty had a smirk on his face when he was told.

"And to say Lleyton is surrounded by 'yes men' ... there is no way (coach) Roger (Rasheed) would put up with any of that shit."

Aivatoglou said he was unsure whether Hewitt had contacted former fiance Kim Clijsters to congratulate the Belgian on her breakthrough victory in Saturday's women's final.

"I think he was pleased she won," he said.

"She's been a great player for a long time and she deserves a major."

Sam L (WTAW)
09-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Brilliant New York Times article!! :clap2:

It's so FUNNY that the world's media are seeing that brat for who he really is and yet there are some die hard fans and PC people who are willing to defend him. :rolleyes:

Don't tell me you'd also defend someone like Hitler.

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 10:56 AM

It's so FUNNY that the world's media are seeing that brat for who he really is and yet there are some die hard fans and PC people who are willing to defend him. :rolleyes:

Did you get banned from WTA is that why you are here? If you bothered to read my posts at all then you'd know the answer to the last question. :)

its.like.that
09-12-2005, 10:56 AM
:lol:

The American media is known for its quality pieces.

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 10:57 AM

Almost as good as the Hobart Mockery.

Kristen
09-12-2005, 11:07 AM
mmm. All are things which have helped me feel so 'passionate' about him today. But...to write an article about it? It's fair enough to have a go at him for his yelling of "CMON!" at inappropriate times, when he does, but to discuss things from years ago is absurd. Even I know that. :tape:

However, I still found it mildly amusing, as you know I would.

madmanfool
09-12-2005, 11:30 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Hewitt-stunned-by-personal-attack/2005/09/12/1126377245681.html?oneclick=true

"He didn't have enough time. It took only 94 minutes for Hewitt to dispense of Dominik Hrbaty in the fourth round of the US Open. Hewitt saved his tasteless remarks for later, when he poked at the holes cut into the shoulder blades of Hrbaty's shirt.

Who wouldn't make a remark of that disgusting shirt? :D

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 11:32 AM
mmm. All are things which have helped me feel so 'passionate' about him today. But...to write an article about it? It's fair enough to have a go at him for his yelling of "CMON!" at inappropriate times, when he does, but to discuss things from years ago is absurd. Even I know that. :tape:

However, I still found it mildly amusing, as you know I would.

I mean that NYT article was of the highest order and should be nominated for the Pullitzer Prize really, at the same time when Hewitt had his footfaultitis, he handled it quite well.

thrust
09-12-2005, 12:40 PM
The New York Timess Sucks! They are a viciously partisin ultra liberal publication who have shown themselves to bend the truth to suit their political agenda. The vicious attack on Hewitt by the idiot Selena Roberts is typical of the crap they will print in order to make themselves look morally superior, which they are NOT.

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 12:44 PM
The New York Timess Sucks! They are a viciously partisin ultra liberal publication who have shown themselves to bend the truth to suit their political agenda. The vicious attack on Hewitt by the idiot Selena Roberts is typical of the crap they will print in order to make themselves look morally superior, which they are NOT.

Thank you for your articulate contribution and as for liberal publication, you are as serious as Hewitt's chances of winning most popular player on tour with the media.

This was not written in a political section, so that would have minimal effect on the sports section, crap I almost took this post seriously.

Sam L (WTAW)
09-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Selena Roberts is an Aussie journalist, I see her on TV all the time. :lol:

Anyway, NYT rocks!

Guys, wake up and smell the coffee. Hewitt sucks, we should all cheer for him to lose all the time!

Neely
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh wow. What a good article.

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh wow. What a good article.

Quality for sure, this would almost be good enough for front page of Der Spiegel.

pinky
09-12-2005, 01:14 PM
At least each and every troll of MTF can now think he is a potential New York Times writer!
Good for the ego, thanks again Mrs. Selena :)

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
At least each and every troll of MTF can now think he is a potential New York Times writer!
Good for the ego, thanks again Mrs. Selena :)

I am a troll now, why thank you :)

buddyholly
09-12-2005, 01:19 PM

The media reflect the national psyche. That's why Britain is represented by the Sun and Mirror.

thrust
09-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Ms Roberts may be Australian, but she stiil works for a dishonest rag. Hewitt, for all his faults, has never annoyed me as much as Nastasse, Connors or McEnroe have. Besides, what was the point of Ms Roberts attacking her country^s top player at the USO?

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Lots of Australians don't like Hewitt, he is one of the guys some people like him and others don't. Honest and journalism thrust what land are you living in if you think those two should be used in a sentence together?

revolution
09-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Lots of Australians don't like Hewitt, he is one of the guys some people like him and others don't. Honest and journalism thrust what land are you living in if you think those two should be used in a sentence together?

The Blake thing pissed me off, to be honest the only thing that pissed me off about him, as I enjoy watching him play.

Raquel
09-12-2005, 07:27 PM
I wonder if Selena's got my email yet after so kindly asking for feedback at the bottom of the page. I have never bothered to email a journalist or a write before but that article practically asked for it. I mean citing Andre as an example of someone Hewitt could learn from in the entourage stakes? Andre used to take his own PRIEST to tournaments in among his various stylists and hairdressers. Citing Lindsay Davenport as another example of sportmanship when you don't need to be a lip reader to know Lindsay's got the foulest mouth on either tour, dropping more F bombs than everyone at the Hip Hop awards combined (I like it about Lindsay, it gives her an edge, but it's a bad example to use in the article). Then saying Lleyton going through a match without insulting a lineman or using obscene gestures was a rarity? :rolleyes: How much tennis does this woman watch?

Scotso
09-12-2005, 07:27 PM

Anyway, NYT rocks!

Guys, wake up and smell the coffee. Hewitt sucks, we should all cheer for him to lose all the time!

Get over it.

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
The Blake thing pissed me off, to be honest the only thing that pissed me off about him, as I enjoy watching him play.

I can see why it did, but I actually think that incident was made more of it than it should be, sure he is one of these guys that manages to get the words out first and not always think about the consequences.

Personally I have a lot of respect for Hewitt and his game and how he is so tough mentally, doesn't mean I have to particularly like him, though one thing he has in his favour, he isn't an actor.

star
09-12-2005, 07:51 PM

Anyway, NYT rocks!

Selena Roberts sports writer for the New York Times. She's written a book on the Riggs/King match. She lives in Brooklyn, New York. Here's her picture. Maybe it's a different woman with the same name that you are seeing.

http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/authphoto_110/55347_roberts_selena.gif

Turkeyballs Paco
09-12-2005, 08:52 PM
I wonder if Selena's got my email yet after so kindly asking for feedback at the bottom of the page. I have never bothered to email a journalist or a write before but that article practically asked for it. I mean citing Andre as an example of someone Hewitt could learn from in the entourage stakes? Andre used to take his own PRIEST to tournaments in among his various stylists and hairdressers. Citing Lindsay Davenport as another example of sportmanship when you don't need to be a lip reader to know Lindsay's got the foulest mouth on either tour, dropping more F bombs than everyone at the Hip Hop awards combined (I like it about Lindsay, it gives her an edge, but it's a bad example to use in the article). Then saying Lleyton going through a match without insulting a lineman or using obscene gestures was a rarity? :rolleyes: How much tennis does this woman watch?

How much tennis does she watch? Not much I think. She spends most of her time stalking federer, jumping out of the bushes to ask if he's considering running for president. I wrote to her, too. What an idiot. She probably didn't get to ask Lleyton any interview questions and was pissed about it. It's so obvious.

Socket
09-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I wrote to her, too. But I didn't get an answer. Surprise!

The New York Times is just so pathetic these days. None of its columnists seems to be able to express an opinion without dripping venom. And they think I'm going to start shelling out $50 a year to read this shit on-line? I don't think so!

tangerine_dream
09-12-2005, 09:25 PM
The media reflect the national psyche. That's why Britain is represented by the Sun and Mirror.

I enjoyed the NYT coverage of the US Open. Great photos, great articles. Newsday had some great coverage too. It sure beats reading the Is-Maria-dating-Andy? gossip tripe in the NY Post and Daily News of which they tried to pass off as being the only legit USOpen news worthy of coverage.

R.Federer
09-12-2005, 09:42 PM
leyton, is he not caring abot losing the ranking points by not playing rest of this year and being in a lower position for Melbourne with difficult draws? It seems he has not comitted to the T.M.S tournaments for the rest of the year.

kiro
09-12-2005, 09:45 PM
I can see why it did, but I actually think that incident was made more of it than it should be, sure he is one of these guys that manages to get the words out first and not always think about the consequences.
Personally I have a lot of respect for Hewitt and his game and how he is so tough mentally, doesn't mean I have to particularly like him, though one thing he has in his favour, he isn't an actor.

Totally Agreed.

IMO, as a fan, you can personally like or dislike some players. But if you're acting as the commentator or the press, you'd better be careful...

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 09:46 PM
leyton, is he not caring abot losing the ranking points by not playing rest of this year and being in a lower position for Melbourne with difficult draws? It seems he has not comitted to the T.M.S tournaments for the rest of the year.

He is automatically entered in the TMS events and his wife is pregnant, so she isn't too far away and that is more of a priority than tennis. He'll make the the TMC and that's good enough for this year.

PaulieM
09-12-2005, 09:47 PM
when i first read this article a few days ago i was shocked at how harsh she was. lleyton is not nearly as bad as she makes him seem. i don't love him but once you get past some of the things he says and does he's really nice to watch play. he really seems to have calmed down recently, whether it's a conscious effort i don't know, but i definitley don't find him as offensive as i used to. i felt bad for him after reading that article, it's not like he's really done anything lately, it totally came out of nowhere and it wasn't necessary.

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Totally Agreed.

IMO, as a fan, you can personally like or dislike some players. But if you're acting as the commentator or the press, you'd better be careful...

Well even as a commentator or a media person has their dislikes for sure. I mean I could easily write negative articles about Hewitt, but in this case what for, there has to be some legit reason to do so, sure he hasn't helped himself, but as long as the person can back up their viewpoint and then be prepared to admit it when they're wrong then it's fine.

There are too many yes-men in the media around Agassi for an example and the opposite for Hewitt, though Hewitt doesn't attempt to pretend to be something else, one major difference.

R.Federer
09-12-2005, 09:54 PM
During the match in the semi-finales, John Macenroe commented on air that "...he feels bad for leyton, because the father is extremely pushy and demanding, and is not happy leyton cannot reverse HtH with Roge. The father has told leyton he cannot shout come Awwwwn on court except for very big points". We discuss this during the match and there were some more comments but I cannot remember.

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 09:57 PM
During the match in the semi-finales, John Macenroe commented on air that "...he feels bad for leyton, because the father is extremely pushy and demanding, and is not happy leyton cannot reverse HtH with Roge. The father has told leyton he cannot shout come Awwwwn on court except for very big points". We discuss this during the match and there were some more comments but I cannot remember.

Yes, Hewitt's dad doesn't have a great rep, then again McEnroe should know about pushy fathers, but he wasn't too bad this tournament nothing that was really newsworthy in the way he acted.

I just hope the old man would get rid of the mullet haircut.

Socket
09-12-2005, 10:03 PM
I was watching the match, too, and what I remember McEnroe saying was that Lleyton's parents, especially his father, put a lot of pressure on him to win, and especially to beat Federer. I don't recall John saying that he felt sorry for Lleyton. Nor do I think that Lleyton has suffered because of the pressure -- in fact, it's turned him into one of the most mentally tough players on the tour, and he obviously has a close relationship with his parents.

Let's be honest, 9 out of 10 tennis parents also put pressure on their kids to win, but the Hewitts, because they attend so many of Lleyton's matches (at his request, I should add), are much more visible and come in for more criticism than most.

Socket
09-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Yes, Hewitt's dad doesn't have a great rep, then again McEnroe should know about pushy fathers, but he wasn't too bad this tournament nothing that was really newsworthy in the way he acted.

I just hope the old man would get rid of the mullet haircut.
Anybody in the USTA could tell you stories about the McEnroe brothers' father and his antics. But he got results, both out of his sons and the USTA.

Action Jackson
09-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Anybody in the USTA could tell you stories about the McEnroe brothers' father and his antics. But he got results, both out of his sons and the USTA.

Contrary to spoil some myths here I actually do have American friends and yes McEnroe Snr the rich arse lawyer was a prick, but an effective prick when it came to getting results.

Then again it depends on the individual as much as joke about Mr Mullet, I couldn't imagine a tournament that Hewitt plays in without them there.

mandoura
09-12-2005, 10:29 PM
I didn't like Hewitt. I actually used to hate him. Part of it was because of his attitude on court specially but the greater part was for the incident with Blake mainly because I like Blake a lot. Now that he is going to be a father I kind of tolerate him more.

However, even when I disliked him, I always found his post-match interviews very objective and down to earth. He never failed to give credit to his opponent when credit was due. In this last Open, I found him calmer than usual and kind of tamed.

Had this article been written last year or earlier this one, I would have agreed with a lot of points mentioned in it. Coming after this US open, I find it uncalled for.

Geniey2g
09-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Who wouldn't make a remark of that disgusting shirt? :D
Yeah, but I felt he was damn rude about it.

Hewitt should just be deleted from life.

mandoura
09-12-2005, 10:45 PM
I was watching the match, too, and what I remember McEnroe saying was that Lleyton's parents, especially his father, put a lot of pressure on him to win, and especially to beat Federer. I don't recall John saying that he felt sorry for Lleyton. Nor do I think that Lleyton has suffered because of the pressure -- in fact, it's turned him into one of the most mentally tough players on the tour, and he obviously has a close relationship with his parents.

Let's be honest, 9 out of 10 tennis parents also put pressure on their kids to win, but the Hewitts, because they attend so many of Lleyton's matches (at his request, I should add), are much more visible and come in for more criticism than most.

From experience, let me tell you this: most tennis parents stop having an influence over their kids by the age of 15-16 (my son is 14 so hopefully I still have a year or two :lol: ). So, I really don't think Hewitt's parents can still pressure him when he is 25, married and about to be a father.

PamV
09-12-2005, 10:57 PM
It's ridiculous to pick on Hewitt for incessant "Come Ons" and "Yes's". Why don't they pick on Sharapova ....she does that a lot and her grunts are very annoying.

For that matter why does the NYTimes care about Hewitt or know who he is when they hardly mention Federer for winning the final. Maybe they just like to whine about someone who they think is a safe target?

PamV
09-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Yeah, but I felt he was damn rude about it.

Hewitt should just be deleted from life.

I think Hewitt was making a joke about the shirt in his comment. McEnroe has also made plenty of jokes about the shirt. Why is everything that Hewitt says taken so deathly serious? Other players could make a crack about the shirt too but no one bothers to write about that.

Tennis Fool
09-12-2005, 11:06 PM
How do you know he was "bewildered"? There are no quotes for Hewitt or Team Rocky in that article. It may just be water off his back, like Tracey and her "weaknesses" comment.

Geniey2g
09-12-2005, 11:09 PM
I think Hewitt was making a joke about the shirt in his comment. McEnroe has also made plenty of jokes about the shirt. Why is everything that Hewitt says taken so deathly serious? Other players could make a crack about the shirt too but no one bothers to write about that.
I made a joke about Dominik's shirt too, but Hewitt might as well have just said "and by the way, Hrbarty's a poof, mate, that's why he's wearing a poofy pink shirt".

Tennis Fool
09-12-2005, 11:12 PM
I am a troll now, why thank you :)
:secret: In respone to the poll "What kind of MTF poster are you, you marked 'troll' ", which I almost thought humorous before last year's "identity crisis" of yours.

I bet you're posting from NYC and were raised in Nantucket.

Tennis Fool
09-12-2005, 11:13 PM
By the way, there is just one "l" in Pulitzer.

Mechlan
09-12-2005, 11:44 PM
I made a joke about Dominik's shirt too, but Hewitt might as well have just said "and by the way, Hrbarty's a poof, mate, that's why he's wearing a poofy pink shirt".

Which quote of his "might as well" have said that?

Geniey2g
09-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Which quote of his "might as well" have said that?
"I just couldn't lose to a bloke wearing that shirt"
"His shirt made it easier for me to beat him today"

It was just the insinuations which I thought were out of order.

Socket
09-13-2005, 12:27 AM
"I just couldn't lose to a bloke wearing that shirt"
"His shirt made it easier for me to beat him today"

It was just the insinuations which I thought were out of order.
I guess I'm stupid. What do you see in this that's a homophobic insinuation?

Socket
09-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Now this commentary, from Peter Bodo, is definitely making snide insinuations:

Tap, tap. . . tap. . . tap. . . tap, tap, tap.

That’s the sound of picture hooks being tapped into drywall all over the San Francisco Bay area, as hair-and-makeup stylists and waiters from Tiburon to San Mateo get ready to put up their posters of Rafael Nadal.

Did you see him and that get-up he had on in Arthur Ashe Stadium last night?

The combination of Nadal's skin-tight, baby-blue, sleeveless top, his ripped abs and guns, and those white pedal pushers (“pirates,” he calls them) could be iconic by the end of this Open.

My colleague Jon Levey thought Rafa looked like a pitchman in a fitness infomercial (Gut-B-Gone, anyone?). I thought he was a little bit Village People and a little bit super-hero—the latter impression underscored by the way Nadal bounded and leaped and scampered around the court while wrestling down a surprisingly game American Scoville Jenkins.

The only thing missing was a rhythmic gymnast’s ribbon.

Geniey2g
09-13-2005, 12:34 AM
I guess I'm stupid. What do you see in this that's a homophobic insinuation?
Well I guess I've already lost half the battle since you appear to be a Hewitt fan, but I can't see how you don't find his comments disrespectful.

I don't think it's fair for anyone to make comments to the world media about another person's chosen attire- it was blatant that he was taking the piss out of Hrbarty.

tennischick
09-13-2005, 12:37 AM
...I don't think it's fair for anyone to make comments to the world media about another person's chosen attire- it was blatant that he was taking the piss out of Hrbarty.
please find me a single individual who did NOT take the piss out of Hrbaty. :rolleyes:

Hewitt made what appeared to me to be a very funny comment about the shirt. Selena and Co. need to get over it.

BTW, i just looked at an interview with Dominik and he said quite morosely that he is wearing the shirt bec he is contractually obligated to.

Geniey2g
09-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Whatever. Differences of opinion are what life is about.

alelysafina
09-13-2005, 12:41 AM
[
"...saved his tasteless remarks for later, when he poked at the holes cut into the shoulder blades of Hrbaty's shirt.

:lol: :lol: I would have done that too!!!! :lol: Who wouldn't of?

Socket
09-13-2005, 12:44 AM
please find me a single individual who did NOT take the piss out of Hrbaty. :rolleyes:

Hewitt made what appeared to me to be a very funny comment about the shirt. Selena and Co. need to get over it.

BTW, i just looked at an interview with Dominik and he said quite morosely that he is wearing the shirt bec he is contractually obligated to.
I got the impression that he was definitely enjoying the attention. :)

In any event, Dominik donated THE SHIRT to be auctioned off for Hurricane Katrina relief. Anybody interested in buying THE SHIRT can bid at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5240558594

Socket
09-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Well I guess I've already lost half the battle since you appear to be a Hewitt fan, but I can't see how you don't find his comments disrespectful.

I don't think it's fair for anyone to make comments to the world media about another person's chosen attire- it was blatant that he was taking the piss out of Hrbarty.
The world media made more comments, and more cutting ones, about Hrbaty's shirts than Lleyton ever did.

It's called a JOKE. You wear something that ridiculous, you should expect to take some ribbing. And that's all it is, ribbing. It's not disrespectful, homophobic, or tasteless. Unless you're completely humorless and completely PC -- which, come to think of it, actually seems to describe almost everybody who writes for the New York Times these days.

tennischick
09-13-2005, 12:49 AM
I got the impression that he was definitely enjoying the attention. :)

In any event, Dominik donated THE SHIRT to be auctioned off for Hurricane Katrina relief. Anybody interested in buying THE SHIRT can bid at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5240558594
nice find Socket! $542.!! :eek:

i also got the impression that he was enjoying the attention. but maybe in the interview that i saw he was just exhausted bec he did come across as morose and he said only that he was wearing it bec he was contractually obligated to. not sure either at what point in the tourny this TTC interview occurred.

Socket
09-13-2005, 12:51 AM
There's lots of match-worn clothing for sale on that site -- I just hope everything's been washed! ;)

Did you notice that nobody's bid on Serena's "bling" earrings yet? :p :p

DayTripperGH
09-13-2005, 01:19 AM

yeah hewitt's a murderer...dumbass :rolleyes:

i can't understand why people keep hating on hewitt

tangerine_dream
09-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Anybody see the end credits of USA Network's tennis coverage where they show Hrbaty changing his shirt and he kept twisting it around on his head because he couldn't figure out which hole was for his head? :lol:

The blade holes may be a bit ridiculous but hats off to a man who's not afraid to wear pink. :hearts: :hatoff: :cool:

DayTripperGH
09-13-2005, 01:29 AM

i never thought of that
but thats so true
i guess people always need someone to pick on

in baseball - barry bonds
in football - randy moss
in tennis - lleyton hewitt

PaulieM
09-13-2005, 01:40 AM
The blade holes may be a bit ridiculous but hats off to a man who's not afraid to wear pink. :hearts: :hatoff: :cool:
pink :yeah: the holes :scared:

Socket
09-13-2005, 01:47 AM
i never thought of that
but thats so true

in football - randy moss
And some people get away with everything. Tiger Woods' jokes about lesbians were given a pass by the media, and when Andre Agassi said he was as "happy as a fag in a submarine" after winning Roland Garros, everybody just laughed. But when Lleyton makes a harmless joke about an ugly shirt, it's worth an article in the New York Times. Go figure (as New Yorkers say). :rolleyes:

FanOfHewitt
09-13-2005, 07:57 AM
By the way, there is just one "l" in Pulitzer.

In that case I agree with GWH that the article should be nominated for the PULLitzer prize. It's an absolute toss.

sierra91
09-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Don't tell me you'd also defend someone like Hitler. I suggest you spend a day at the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, Auschwitz, or a Holocaust museum before tossing around Hitler's name so carelessly. I hate to put a damper on all the fun, but has it not occurred to anyone that throwing around Hitler's name like this may be contributing to the indifference that has allowed genocides to continue with impunity since the Holocaust? Bosnia, Cambodia, Rwanda, just to name a few, and now Sudan. In the time that it took for this post to be written, you'd be shocked to learn how many tribal African farmers (including children) were murdered, *****, brutalized, or died of starvation or disease as a result of the government-backed genocide taking place in Darfur. Hitler was no joke and comparing him to Lleyton or whatever it is you were trying to do minimizes the suffering of millions of Holocaust victims as well as victims of discrimination and genocidal campaigns throughout the world.

Castafiore
09-15-2005, 10:14 AM
:cuckoo:

Sanneriet
09-15-2005, 05:28 PM
It's world of excuses when Little Lleyton oversteps the line

September 15, 2005
LITTLE LLEYTON is back in Australia. We saw vision of him scurrying through the airport on Monday with his wife, Bec. He didn't stop to have a word with the media. No matter. It is not compulsory.

He does not have much time for the fourth estate in Australia. Little Lleyton believes much of it has been highly critical - unfairly so - about the manner in which he plays the game. He might be right but there are enough journalists embedded in his camp to ensure that his side of events is recorded loudly and clearly.

Anyway, he has had a tough week so it is no time to be harsh. Roger Federer beat him in the semi-finals of the US Open. Little Lleyton had played quite superbly. He played aggressively both in body and spirit. He was at the net every chance he dared. When he took the third set off Federer it was a triumph. He had lost the previous 17. When he lost the match it was no surprise, for he had lost the previous eight encounters.

And that is not a record to despair about. American Andre Agassi rates the Swiss champion as the best player he has confronted. The great Pete Sampras heads that list.

Little Lleyton was not only done over by Federer at the US Open. New York Times columnist Selena Roberts took him on. And not with a series of passing shots but she delivered smash after smash after smash. Little Lleyton is used to ducking and weaving in Australia but abroad he normally will get some respite.

Constantly, journalists will ask why Australians are so tough on him. Now they can ask Roberts. She has written about how the Australian made tasteless remarks about Dominik Hrbaty's shirt. She described him as unvarnished, irascible and impolitic. She said he had not changed from when he was No.1 in 2001 and 2002 when he created a trail of charged feuds with players and legal disputes with the ATP. He is as self-absorbed as ever.

Roberts, at this stage leading 6-0 6-0, went for the kill. Hewitt is surrounded by a bevy of yes men and sycophantic handlers while Federer has chosen an agent-less existence, grounded by a girlfriend/manager who will tell the emperor off.

Surely, that is an observation made from a distance. To know exactly what happens in the Little Lleyton entourage you would need to be in the middle of it, sitting there with parents, Glynn and Cherilyn, sister Jaslyn, coach Roger Rasheed and wife Bec.

Still, it might be instructive to look at Little Lleyton's history of foot faults and see if that tells us anything. Gives us some sort of insight into the House of Hewitt.

Remember back to the 2001 US Open. A black linesman called the Australian for two foot faults in the third set against black American James Blake. Little Lleyton erupted, saying to the umpire Andreas Egli: "Look at him (pointing to the linesman). And look at him (pointing to Blake). You tell me what the similarity is."

Not surprisingly, this was interpreted as a racial remark and the media was frothing. Little Lleyton denied it and Blake, quite gracefully, chose not to make anything of it. The matter lost its energy but has never been forgotten. And the Australian's bad habit of placing his foot on the line during service has never gone away either.

In January this year during the Sydney International, Little Lleyton was again called for a series of foot faults. It happened in consecutive matches. The Australian's tennis writer Patrick Miles noted that several happened at significant moments. In one of those matches Little Lleyton was moved to question the umpire. "I just asked whether it could be, only because ... if it had happened at both ends, then I fully understand. But if it's only happening up one end ..."

Miles reported that Hewitt had mentioned it to coach Rasheed. "We laughed about it a bit, only because, once again, it only happened down one end." And so the caravan moved on to the Australian Open where Little Lleyton played Marat Safin in the final. With the score at one-set all and Little Lleyton leading 4-2 and 30-love he was called for a foot fault. He lost the game, the set and the match.

Directly after the game he moved towards the linesman, pointed at him and appeared to harangue the poor sod. The call was correct and Little Lleyton received a code violation.

Now we are at Wimbledon. Little Lleyton is playing Taylor Dent for a place in the quarter-finals. Serving for the third set at 5-3 the Australian is called for a foot fault. He loses the game and the set. It was one of seven foot faults in the match, played in an angry atmosphere of disputed line calls and overrules from the chair. Little Lleyton finally won in four sets.

Now it is the US Open. He is playing his very best tennis against Federer but the foot fault count is climbing. It is frustrating two life members of the Little Lleyton Appreciation Society, John Newcombe and Fred Stolle. As the tally continues to rise the pair pleads for the Australian to stand back a few more centimetres from the line.

When Little Lleyton is called on a second serve he pleads with the chair umpire that he never foot faults on a second serve. So the very thing that triggered the most combustible moment in his career back in the 2001 Open continues to plague him in 2005.

After the match he is asked at his news conference:

Q."What was happening with the umpire and the foot faulting? Secondly, did it have a bit of a cumulative effect on your serve in that fourth set?"

Lleyton Hewitt: "No, not really. I just when I actually queried ... I was getting called more at one end than the other end, I asked him. Actually, when I was talking to him, they were rotating anyway. So that was about that.

"No, I was just saying, you know, I had to block it out of my mind and, you know, there wasn't anything I could do out there about it.

Q."You had 12."

Lleyton Hewitt: "I doubt it."

It is understood Little Lleyton did not return to the change rooms after the match against Federer. Maybe Selena Roberts' emperor was wearing no clothes in the first place.

This is from the Australian. Geez, it is even more harsh. Lleyton seems to have matured a lot in the last couple of years. I thought his remarks about the shirt were funny. No wonder he doesn't want to talk to the media. However, he does seem to have a problem appreciating other people's point of view. I also don't see where the supposed excuses are.

Shabazza
09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
:cuckoo:
now that Sam L's post is deleted, your smiley don't fit anymore ;)

Socket
09-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Remember back to the 2001 US Open. A black linesman called the Australian for two foot faults in the third set against black American James Blake. Little Lleyton erupted, saying to the umpire Andreas Egli: "Look at him (pointing to the linesman). And look at him (pointing to Blake). You tell me what the similarity is."

Ummm, no, Lleyton did NOT point at Blake. Brian Earley found otherwise. Mr. Smith, you need to read this:

US OPEN 2001
NEW YORK CITY

September 1, 2001

PRESS CONFERENCE WITH
STEFAN FRANSSON and
BRIAN EARLEY

THE MODERATOR: Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining us tonight. We have with us ITF Grand Slam Supervisor Stefan Fransson and referee, Brian Earley. Mr. Earley would like to read a statement.

BRIAN EARLEY: All right. An investigation was conducted by the Grand Slam referee in conjunction with the Grand Slam supervisors with regard to an on-court incident during the match between James Blake and Lleyton Hewitt yesterday. After interviews with both players, the lineman in question and the chair umpire, and after reviewing videotape of the incident, it was determined that there was no violation of the Grand Slam code of conduct committed by Lleyton Hewitt. Furthermore, the evidence was inconclusive as to the intent of Mr. Hewitt's remarks to the chair umpire. Let me also add, and this is not written down, that the jurisdiction here is with the Grand Slam referee, who is me, and with the Grand Slam supervisors, the chief of whom is Stefan Fransson, here. Let me also say that I not only -- it says I reviewed the incident on the videotape. I did that many, many times. I will tell you that Mr. Hewitt's version is that the remark that he made -- and I have a transcript of it here -- "Look at him. Look at him and tell me what the similarity is." His explanation is that he was -- he couldn't understand why the chair umpire didn't see that this was the same line umpire who had made the exact same mistake, to use Lleyton's words, twice, in very short order. He couldn't understand that the chair umpire didn't realize it was the same guy. I will tell you looking at the tape, there was no gesture in the direction of Mr. Blake when he made the comments about the similarities. He did not use Mr. Blake's name; he didn't say, "my opponent." He made no reference to Mr. Blake. If I am going to go from there, from where I was and from the report from the chair umpire, who issued no code violation at the time and didn't feel like there was a code violation to be issued and didn't feel that it was a racist remark, if I was to go from the report that I got and from the videotape, it would be -- there would be a lot of inference. I would have to assume that I know and that I knew what Mr. Hewitt was thinking when he made the remarks that he made. Again, on the videotape and the audio of the videotape, the transcript of which is right here, you cannot make the case that he was obviously referring to James Blake in these remarks.

Angle Queen
09-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Maybe if Hewy would adjust his serving motion...just slightly...he might avoid all these problems. :p

Socket
09-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Maybe if Hewy would adjust his serving motion...just slightly...he might avoid all these problems. :p
Only if that particular line judge is on the court. He didn't seem to have these problems in his other matches.

Castafiore
09-15-2005, 05:55 PM
now that Sam L's post is deleted, your smiley don't fit anymore ;)
Yes...:awww:...my smiley does look a bit lonely without that comment of the year from Sam

R.Federer
09-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Only if that particular line judge is on the court. He didn't seem to have these problems in his other matches.

The footfaults have come over many months, in different tournaments, over different continents. Sydney Open, then Melbourne, then Wimbledon then USO. I dont think ths is conspiracy by linesman and lineswomen everywhere. I dont know of other players having so much problem in so many tournamentes with the foot fault

So I think maybe this is because leyton try to get stronger on first serve, he has changed his technique and this new way of getting more power is giving more chances of having foot fault?

Socket
09-15-2005, 06:30 PM
The footfaults have come over many months, in different tournaments, over different continents. Sydney Open, then Melbourne, then Wimbledon then USO. I dont think ths is conspiracy by linesman and lineswomen everywhere. I dont know of other players having so much problem in so many tournamentes with the foot fault

So I think maybe this is because leyton try to get stronger on first serve, he has changed his technique and this new way of getting more power is giving more chances of having foot fault?
I never said there was a "conspiracy." Please don't put words in my mouth.

As John McEnroe pointed on, Hewitt's service motion involves a twisting of his foot. That seems to be the source of the problem. But, as somebody who has watched Hewitt play for years, I know that he's always twisted his foot, so it's nothing new.

R.Federer
09-15-2005, 06:35 PM
I never said there was a "conspiracy." Please don't put words in my mouth.

As John McEnroe pointed on, Hewitt's service motion involves a twisting of his foot. That seems to be the source of the problem. But, as somebody who has watched Hewitt play for years, I know that he's always twisted his foot, so it's nothing new.

No, I said conspiracy (and that there is not one). I cannot find where I say you mentioned a conspiracy.

But you said this seems to be a problem only if one particular linesman is on court. This is why I pointed out that it is happened many tournaments, over many months. So it seems like the technique of leyton is not correct and nothing to do with linespeople. But leyton seems to dispute that there is a problem.

deekaye
09-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Sam L (WTAW)

I don't think you can equate a tennis player's misdemeanors with Hitler,the most evil and greatest mass murderer in History. Young people who know little or nothing about World War 2 may think that Hitler was merely rude,loud,and prone to make the odd obscene gesture.

Deekaye

AgassiFan
09-15-2005, 06:42 PM

:haha: :haha:

(Why yes, drama major. Ridiculously good, too)

its.like.that
09-15-2005, 06:42 PM

I never doubted that.

Socket
09-15-2005, 06:50 PM
No, I said conspiracy (and that there is not one). I cannot find where I say you mentioned a conspiracy.

But you said this seems to be a problem only if one particular linesman is on court. This is why I pointed out that it is happened many tournaments, over many months. So it seems like the technique of leyton is not correct and nothing to do with linespeople. But leyton seems to dispute that there is a problem.
Hewitt twists his foot on EVERY first serve, but only a small minority of line judges see foot faults, and whole months go by without his getting called on one. So, you have to wonder whether it's him or whether line judges are being instructed in how to call foot faults properly.

If he only twisted his foot on a particular first serve (going out wide or before a S&V point), I would agree that there's a problem. But he does it on every single first serve, so you have to wonder why it's called by some line crews in some matches. I think it's because the same criteria are not being applied by all the judges.

AgassiFan
09-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Contrary to spoil some myths here I actually do have American friends and yes McEnroe Snr the rich arse lawyer was a prick, but an effective prick when it came to getting results.

You would love the long-time Russian Women's Volleyball head coach... I had the privilege of attenting one of the team's practices as a kid - wow!

Action Jackson
09-15-2005, 06:58 PM
You would love the long-time Russian Women's Volleyball head coach... I had the privilege of attenting one of the team's practices as a kid - wow!

You mean that crazy clown at the Olympics in Athens? That guy was brilliant with his facial features, maybe a bit mad.

R.Federer
09-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Hewitt twists his foot on EVERY first serve, but only a small minority of line judges see foot faults, and whole months go by without his getting called on one. So, you have to wonder whether it's him or whether line judges are being instructed in how to call foot faults properly.

If he only twisted his foot on a particular first serve (going out wide or before a S&V point), I would agree that there's a problem. But he does it on every single first serve, so you have to wonder why it's called by some line crews in some matches. I think it's because the same criteria are not being applied by all the judges.

This is why I ask whether if it is because leyton is trying to get more power on his first serves.I agree he ketp the same service motion as before, but one thing has changed is that he is trying to get more power. This is why I assume that in those match where he is going for more on his first serve (they all are not first round type match - they have been Finale, SemiFinale, Quartefinal and so on) this is when it is happening

AgassiFan
09-15-2005, 07:05 PM
i never thought of that
but thats so true

in football - randy moss

Bonds - a disgusting cheater and a megalomaniacal sociopath. Triple threat.

Moss - spineless asshole. Not a cheater, though.

Lleyton Hewitt - bratty asswipe

Socket
09-15-2005, 07:08 PM
This is why I ask whether if it is because leyton is trying to get more power on his first serves.I agree he ketp the same service motion as before, but one thing has changed is that he is trying to get more power. This is why I assume that in those match where he is going for more on his first serve (they all are not first round type match - they have been Finale, SemiFinale, Quartefinal and so on) this is when it is happening
He's gone for more power on his first serves by adding more weight to his upper body, but I don't see how that would make him foot-fault more. To my eyes, his service motion still seems the same (although the speed gun readings have gone up). And he's still standing at or behind the baseline after he serves.

Maybe the reason we hear about his foot faults almost always in the later rounds is because those are the ones that are televised and have commentators watching them.

AgassiFan
09-15-2005, 07:09 PM
You mean that crazy clown at the Olympics in Athens? That guy was brilliant with his facial features, maybe a bit mad.

Didn't see the Athens so don't even know if it was him, but what you see on TV isn't even a third of it. You would not believe your eyes and ears if you were there-there, that shit almost scarred me for life as a kid.

Some of the russian posters may know/what who I am talking about...

Socket
09-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Bonds - a disgusting cheater and a megalomaniacal sociopath. Triple threat.

Moss - spineless asshole. Not a cheater, though.

Lleyton Hewitt - bratty asswipe
And Agassi's a homophobe. Go away.

AgassiFan
09-15-2005, 07:13 PM
And Agassi's a homophobe.

Never claimed he was all sunshine and puppies. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Go away

Impale thyself on the Eiffel Tower ever so gently. Loser.

AgassiFan
09-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Yes...:awww:...my smiley does look a bit lonely without that comment of the year from Sam

What did he say that got his post deleted?

I bet it was something along the lines of "who gives a fuck about some dead Africans, anyway? We're talking Adolf Hewittler!"

He should have been banned for that, if true.

Action Jackson
09-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Didn't see the Athens so don't even know if it was him, but what you see on TV isn't even a third of it. You would not believe your eyes and ears if you were there-there, that shit almost scarred me for life as a kid.

Some of the russian posters may know/what who I am talking about...

You mean this man.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/svein_sveynsson/wchamprus020913109.jpg

Castafiore
09-15-2005, 07:29 PM
What did he say that got his post deleted?
You're close: it had some stupid and :retard: comparison of Hewitt with Hitler

AgassiFan
09-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Nicholai Karpol.

He of, umm, unorthodox training methods and, equally ummm, less-than-ideal treatment of women.... LMAO!

Action Jackson
09-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Nicholai Karpol.

He of, umm, unorthodox training methods and, equally ummm, less-than-ideal treatment of women.... LMAO!

So he scared the crap out of you? He could run the ATP.

AgassiFan
09-15-2005, 08:25 PM
So he scared the crap out of you?

Did I mention I was in single digits at the time? And shocked more than scared, really.

Turd of a man, results or not.

Rex
09-15-2005, 08:31 PM
i dont think its good to dig up old stuff, hewitt has matured and there must be a reason for his subdued manner during USO- maybe he knows he has to calm down................he doesnt need fucking stupid media fuckers doing this to him...

tangerine_dream
09-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Instead of attacking Hewitt for something that's old news, why didn't Ms. Roberts do something daring and write a positive article on Hewitt? His behavior at USO was exemplary. He didn't say or do anything to piss off or insult anyone. He handled a bogus oncourt interview by that twat Tracy with grace. And his SF match against Roger should've been last year's final, that's how much better he played. He made a great match of it. What Hewitt has done at this year's Open is far more current and newsworthy than what he did months ago at the AO or Davis Cup, imo.

Socket
09-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Instead of attacking Hewitt for something that's old news, why didn't Ms. Roberts do something daring and write a positive article on Hewitt? His behavior at USO was exemplary. He didn't say or do anything to piss off or insult anyone. He handled a bogus oncourt interview by that twat Tracy with grace. And his SF match against Roger should've been last year's final, that's how much better he played. He made a great match of it. What Hewitt has done at this year's Open is far more current and newsworthy than what he did months ago at the AO or Davis Cup, imo.
Because Ms. Roberts is a c*nt, that's why.

mandoura
09-16-2005, 05:42 PM
You mean this man.

You are absolutely right. I remember the semi-final match Brazil vs. Russia (2-3). He was ridiculously hilarious.

Winston's Human
09-16-2005, 06:05 PM

Q. Why attack Hewitt with old news?

A. Other than those in their own self-congratulatory circuit, the media believes that people are never allowed to be forgiven past mistakes.

While I am not a big Hewitt fan, I think the statute of limitations has run on the Blake incident. I too think Hewitt's behavior was exemplary at the USO and he is trying to use the "c'mons" more judiciously.

AgassiFan
09-16-2005, 08:30 PM
You are absolutely right. I remember the semi-final match Brazil vs. Russia (2-3). He was ridiculously hilarious.

I am betting if you were playing *under* him, you wouldn't have found him quite as hilarious.

You'd think he'd mellow out with age...

Action Jackson
09-16-2005, 08:56 PM
I am betting if you were playing *under* him, you wouldn't have found him quite as hilarious.

Now I know why you are such a hard case with Agassi.

AgassiFan
09-17-2005, 02:23 AM
Now I know why you are such a hard case with Agassi.

Because, unlike most greats, he didn't realize his potential to the fullest?

mandoura
09-17-2005, 03:01 AM

You are absolutely right. I would have struck him dead.

switz
09-17-2005, 03:17 AM

Anyway, NYT rocks!

i think you're think of Selena Edmunds or whatever her name is.

fenomeno2111
09-17-2005, 03:46 AM
I love Hewitt C'MONS!

fenomeno2111
09-17-2005, 03:47 AM
ROFL :haha:

AgassiFan
09-17-2005, 06:26 PM
You are absolutely right. I would have struck him dead.

Would have been difficult to do so while on the ground after he kneed you in the crotch.

AgassiFan
09-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Selena Roberts could use some Aussie-style deep-dicking. Lleyton, see to it.

fifiricci
09-17-2005, 07:13 PM

Sounds spookily to me like the Aussie media, stung about the loss of the Ashes! :nerner:

R.Federer
09-19-2005, 02:13 AM
Here are some responses this article generates. Maybe some of teh responsers are from the M.T.F?

September 18, 2005
It's Unfair to Give Short Shrift to Hewitt

To the Sports Editor:

Re "On and Off the Court, Federer Is Truly No. 1" (Sept. 7):

As a mature American tennis fan, and as a fan of Lleyton Hewitt, I am outraged at his treatment in the press, particularly some spurious comments by Selena Roberts. I do not believe that these writers think or observe for themselves, only parrot others.

Some of the most outrageous behavior I have seen at the United States Open was by Americans who are now folk heroes. I have the Tennis Channel - I watch Hewitt whenever possible - and I read his interviews myself. The writers should do the same. I saw for myself when he was spat upon and was subjected to crotch-grabbing gestures in the Davis Cup. Somehow, those players were not responsible for their actions, but Hewitt is.

Hewitt has made mistakes for which he is apparently never to be forgiven. Meanwhile, canonization is under way for others. Joan Laurie

Louisville, Ky.

Parental Guidance

To the Sports Editor:

As a sports psychology consultant, I respect the intent of George Vecsey's column ("In the Annals of Tennis, the Father Figure Is Big," Sept. 11). I do, however, respectfully disagree with the overarching sentiment of the piece.

It is true that most players are in the psychological shadows of the parents who first handed them a racket. In the presently high-stakes, high-money world of youth sports, many parents - not all - live vicariously through their children. That often begets a terrific amount of parental involvement.

Parents then teeter anywhere along a continuum, from the seemingly reserved support of Kim Clijsters's parents to the incredible enthusiasm exhibited by Roger Federer's father (EDIT: can anyone tell me except for Wimbledon-2005, which match of Roge the father has come to? In wimbledon he has sat in "common people" place, and quietly. :confused: )to the ferocious encouragement flaunted by Mary Pierce's father.

Winning is an inexplicably exhilarating feeling for parent and child. But I wonder when winning is the parent's risk for the child's reward, and when it is the parent's reward at the risk of the child.

Lee H. Igel

New York

Agassi's Agony

To the Sports Editor:

Re "Here's Hoping Agassi Keeps Defying His Age" (Sept. 12):

In lauding Andre Agassi's performance at the United States Open, Selena Roberts says, "Agassi can play on because he isn't Pete Sampras."

The message was that Sampras had been a lazy lout looking for a quick and easy exit, while Agassi runs mountains and loves the labor of training. The truth is that Agassi cannot play without repeated cortisone injections. He could barely stand on the court after his final match, gritting his teeth against the pain radiating from his damaged spine.

Who knows what permanent injury he will suffer by not allowing his body time to heal naturally? Sampras cherished his play every bit as much as Agassi does. Sampras agonized over his retirement for months and left in tears - but still physically intact. Agassi would be wise to bag his rackets and follow suit.

Marilyn Umehara

Lyndhurst, Va.

On Being Great and Proud

To the Sports Editor:

Re "Pity the Poorest While America Waves the Flag" (Sept. 10):

I'm proud of John McEnroe for expressing pride in being American, pride in the sport he has showcased in the United States and pride in the chance to cheer on his countrymen at the United States Open.

The Hurricane Katrina devastation should not cause us to restrain our spirit to win, our pride in great American athletes or a chance to speak well of the great country that is host of this great event. Jeanne Wygant

Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y.

Socket
09-19-2005, 03:38 AM
seemingly reserved support of Kim Clijsters's parents
Hmmm, I just read that Lei Clijsters was one of the reasons that Marc de Hous has stopped coaching Kim. . .

Kristen
09-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Joan Laurie should get her ass to Australia and see that in some places, players have received much criticism for their actions toward Hewitt. Half of our freakin' country is in love with the guy, and he's our only real tennis player (yes, it pains me to say it) so naturally, in his home country, a lot of the time there's a lot of excitement and enthusiasm about him, on and off the court.

But she's right...with the research part. Perhaps Selena started from the beginning, and when she got to the boring stuff (when he was less of an asshole) she stopped, and wrote the article while it could still be interesting :lol:

Castafiore
09-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Hmmm, I just read that Lei Clijsters was one of the reasons that Marc de Hous has stopped coaching Kim. . .
Marc denies it in the press but the media has still not figured out whether that's the entire truth or not.

Lei Clijsters is very protective of his girl. Kim has the reputation of being a very positive and upbeat personality so, I have the feeling that Lei thinks it's up to him to play the bad guy and to draw the 'to here and no further' line.

In the beginning of this season, Kim's trainer (now ex-trainer) said in the press that the year 2005 would be Kim's year. Lei was angry about that perhaps because he felt that Marc put too much pressure on Kim by saying that (she was still coming back from an injury). So, he told Marc that he could no longer talk to certain members of the media (the newspapers that printed that interview for example).
Also, Lei didn't want Kim to talk to Eurosport. That was a problem during the USO because Eurosport pays good money for the right to interview players. They weren't even sure why Lei had a problem with Eurosport so that makes it even more difficult to solve the situation. But, with Kim winning the USO, it was impossible to just refuse an interview so she did but it was a subdued one.

Marc also said that he learned a financial lesson. The bonus he got from the USO victory was only 0,4%!
He also said that Xavier Malisse can give him a call because he's interested in coaching him and Marc said that a received phonecalls from a number of top players.

Knockers LaBroad
09-19-2005, 03:39 PM
You can read the rectification on Kim's website from Marc himself: he got a bonus when Kim won the USO, it was JUST a bonus, outside his contract.

he already said that to journalists of the papers, but they didn't bother to write it down.

And he had problems with Lei?? Ahhhhhh, that's why they were jumping and drinking and laughing together last Wednesday in Bree.

tennischick
09-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Agassi's Agony

To the Sports Editor:

Re "Here's Hoping Agassi Keeps Defying His Age" (Sept. 12):

In lauding Andre Agassi's performance at the United States Open, Selena Roberts says, "Agassi can play on because he isn't Pete Sampras."

The message was that Sampras had been a lazy lout looking for a quick and easy exit, while Agassi runs mountains and loves the labor of training. The truth is that Agassi cannot play without repeated cortisone injections. He could barely stand on the court after his final match, gritting his teeth against the pain radiating from his damaged spine.

Who knows what permanent injury he will suffer by not allowing his body time to heal naturally? Sampras cherished his play every bit as much as Agassi does. Sampras agonized over his retirement for months and left in tears - but still physically intact. Agassi would be wise to bag his rackets and follow suit.

Marilyn Umehara

Lyndhurst, Va.
i agree with the part in bold. it was painful to watch Agassi trying to stretch his hip muscles while gritting his teeth in pain. i thought i was the only person making this interpretation as there was no comment about it on the board. i too hope that he is not doing permanent damage. Agassi has said that he wants his children to see him playing. i'm glad that he made it to the finals of a Grand Slam. but i'm sure his kids would prefer to have a healthy father who can pick them up than a father who may be destroying himself to fulfil his own narcissitic need. and i say this with much love.

AgassiFan
09-19-2005, 05:13 PM
i.Agassi has said that he wants his children to see him playing

Good. I wanted him to play until he was 40 back when he just cleared 30. But that nasty sciatic shit has ruined it all. Hopefully cortisone works for another 3 years and Andre continues to kick ass. Who knows, Federer may get seriously hurt and some slams might be open for competition again.

Fuck Merylin Umehara.

Castafiore
09-19-2005, 05:26 PM
You can read the rectification on Kim's website from Marc himself: he got a bonus when Kim won the USO, it was JUST a bonus, outside his contract.

he already said that to journalists of the papers, but they didn't bother to write it down.

And he had problems with Lei?? Ahhhhhh, that's why they were jumping and drinking and laughing together last Wednesday in Bree.
Well, yes it was a bonus but a bonus of 0,4%, outside his contract. I'm not sure what other trainers get but I would be surprised to see them get a bonus like that but I could be wrong about that (don't know enough about the financial side of it).

No, Marc doesn't seem to blame the Clijsters family for it but he also says that he has learned from this...he will be better prepared for the next contract negociations. Does that sound like a man who thinks he got a fair deal?

Also, Marc made it absolutely clear that he has no problem with that family and he was very happy for Kim. When you saw him celebrating with the family, it was sincere. On the other hand, during the USO, it was also very clear from his interviews that he did not agree with the tight media rules set by Lei. Lei Clijsters is not a bad guy. On the contrary, he just wants to protect his daughter but he has a very difficult relationship with the press.