Feds and his "comfort zone" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Feds and his "comfort zone"

Tennis Fool
09-12-2005, 12:22 AM
When Agassi was up a break on Feds in the 3rd, MaryC said Agassi was taking Feds out of his "comfort zone". Feds likes pace and Agassi was giving him 90mph balls, then changing up with 120 mph balls, and also picking on his backhand that had deserted him. It's like Feds couldn't believe Agassi had changed the gameplan on him and he didn't know what to do.

However.

Agassi got back to feeding him pace in the 4th set and then it was over in 15 minutes.

Maybe Agassi showed other players how to beat Feds now? What do you think?

bandabou
09-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Hmm...maybe, but I think itīs just that Federer couldnīt hit a backhand to save his life.

onewoman74
09-12-2005, 12:25 AM
yeah I heard Mary dis ussing that...maybe that is a gameplan. Somehow I believe Fed could see his way around it soon or later...u know he likes a challenge

rofe
09-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Yes, valid point BUT as was quite apparent, Agassi was out of his own comfort zone as well by doing that and couldn't keep it up. The same thing happened with Hewitt yesterday. The problem for other players is that they have to play with such high intensity against Roger that they are unable to keep it up because it is not their natural game.

For Roger, changing speed, putting spins is quite natural so it will take some time for other players to catch up on his best surfaces.

onewoman74
09-12-2005, 12:26 AM
where did his backhand go?...about 15 or so errors. I still don't know how he pulled out the 3rd set tiebreak.

Domino
09-12-2005, 12:26 AM
All that practice on the backhand in the first three sets paid off in the end. ;)

Shabazza
09-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Yes, valid point BUT as was quite apparent, Agassi was out of his own comfort zone as well by doing that and couldn't keep it up. The same thing happened with Hewitt yesterday. The problem for other players is that they have to play with such high intensity against Roger that they are unable to keep it up because it is not their natural game.

For Roger, changing speed, putting spins is quite natural so it will take some time for other players to catch up on his best surfaces.
:yeah:

R.Federer
09-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Well, set 1 also andre was doing that strategy and it did not work.

Not to forget that Roge had many chances in set 2 despite this strategy and lost on his own UE, not forced error.

I don't think this can work, maybe temporarily till Roge adapts. Just like "go to his BH, go to his BH" and now people keep away from BH.

PaulieM
09-12-2005, 12:28 AM
All that practice on the backhand in the first three sets paid off in the end. ;)
yes it came back just in time for the tiebreak!

Tennis Fool
09-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Hmm...maybe, but I think itīs just that Federer couldnīt hit a backhand to save his life.
Hi Bandabou :wavey: Nice to see you here. You should come more often.

asotgod
09-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Tennis is all about big points. I dont think it's those variation in pace and spin that helped Agass win the second. Federer just played the big points bad while Agassi stepped in some of it. Federer was in virtually every of Agassi's service games, but plays 2 bad service games and the second set is over. I dont agree with the comfort zone stuff. Then Federer also has been playing too defensively, instead of attacking and then over-rallying as if daring his opponent to pull the trigger first.

Tennis Fool
09-12-2005, 12:31 AM

You're probably right. But I think Agassi had a natural letdown after losing the lead and the TB.

Tennis Fool
09-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Tennis is all about big points. I dont think it's those variation in pace and spin that helped Agass win the second. Federer just played the big points bad while Agassi stepped in some of it. .
But it seemed that the change in pace rattled Fed enough that he began to question his own game, and when he begins to question, that's when the backhand goes off, that's when he fails to move in on Agassi's second serve, playing defensively.

asotgod
09-12-2005, 12:37 AM
But it seemed that the change in pace rattled Fed enough that he began to question his own game, and when he begins to question, that's when the backhand goes off, that's when he fails to move in on Agassi's second serve, playing defensively.

It's possible although I dont think that affected him as much as the crowd and his inability to take the big points right from when he served for the first set. He needed eight set points. It's not as if Agassi played outstanding on those set points. Agassi got some lucky net cords, Federer made some forehand and backhand errors, Agassi hits a return winner, etc.

From there you could see Federer just like questioning himself especially after getting into almost every service game Agassi had in the second, and he finds himself down a break.

vogus
09-12-2005, 01:19 AM
When Agassi was up a break on Feds in the 3rd, MaryC said Agassi was taking Feds out of his "comfort zone". Feds likes pace and Agassi was giving him 90mph balls, then changing up with 120 mph balls, and also picking on his backhand that had deserted him. It's like Feds couldn't believe Agassi had changed the gameplan on him and he didn't know what to do.

Maybe Agassi showed other players how to beat Feds now? What do you think?

Carillo is an idiot and shouldnt be commentating men's matches. But for a set and a half, Andre broke down Fed's backhand in a way that i haven't seen anyone else do. If he had kept it going for two games more than he did, he'd be holding the trophy.

PamV
09-12-2005, 01:24 AM
yeah I heard Mary dis ussing that...maybe that is a gameplan. Somehow I believe Fed could see his way around it soon or later...u know he likes a challenge

I think so too. Also Roger could have been way too nervous at the start of the match.

BlackSilver
09-12-2005, 01:35 AM
90mph balls, 120 mph balls,

Stop the press.

I never read, in my entire life, something as stupid as it tennis related

WF4EVER
09-12-2005, 01:54 AM

LOL. You are so right. I don't think the players realize that the more they keep going to Fed's weakness the stronger it gets over the course of the match and he's not afraid to keep working it til he gets it right.

Same has happened to Venus with her forehand. The players keep going to it and going to it and she keeps making those errors, then BAM! out of nowhere she hits an amazing winner.

Unless it's not something that you really really suck at it is dangerous to keep going to one shot because more times than not you are helping that player to improve that same shot you think will kill them.

yanchr
09-12-2005, 02:04 AM
LOL. You are so right. I don't think the players realize that the more they keep going to Fed's weakness the stronger it gets over the course of the match and he's not afraid to keep working it til he gets it right.

Same has happened to Venus with her forehand. The players keep going to it and going to it and she keeps making those errors, then BAM! out of nowhere she hits an amazing winner.

Unless it's not something that you really really suck at it is dangerous to keep going to one shot because more times than not you are helping that player to improve that same shot you think will kill them.
Ya. And obviously he kept hitting his bh despite that Agassi was exploiting it quite successfully, not at all trying to avoid that, and it paid well in the end of the 3rd and the whole 4th, where he finally picked it up quite well. I saw huge improvement on his bh side throughout the whole 2004 and 2005, which all his opponents did contribute.

Tennis Fool
09-12-2005, 03:36 AM

Fed won not because of suddenly hitting BH winners late in the match.