does it bother you that agassi faced no top 30 players until the final? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

does it bother you that agassi faced no top 30 players until the final?

FaceyFacem
09-11-2005, 03:52 PM
it bothers me... i mean, it's not his fault, there's nothing you can do, that's the way it played out, so be it, but it definitely bothers me, granted, beating federer alone would be an accomplishment (especially in the finals), so i guess that would redeem it, but i just feel wrong about reaching a GS final w/ no matches vs. top 30....

federer express
09-11-2005, 04:00 PM
it bothers me... i mean, it's not his fault, there's nothing you can do, that's the way it played out, so be it, but it definitely bothers me, granted, beating federer alone would be an accomplishment (especially in the finals), so i guess that would redeem it, but i just feel wrong about reaching a GS final w/ no matches vs. top 30....

oh dear....

what can you do but play the people in front of you. and he had to beat two of the form men of the last month or so in blake and ginepri and also had the super-talented malisse and berdych! all of whom are genuine top 30 players at least (in standard).

disturb3d
09-11-2005, 04:01 PM
He's the most accomplished hardcourter in men's tennis.
There's nothing left to prove.

Björki
09-11-2005, 04:07 PM
:eek: I have no problem with it.

let's go Andre.

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 04:14 PM

*Ljubica*
09-11-2005, 04:14 PM

It kind of bothers me too - though I admit that is just a biased, knee-jerk reaction on my part because I don't like Agassi (never have done), and I don't want him to win this tournament. I know the draw is not his fault in any way, it is NOT rigged to favour him and there is absolutely no reason for it to irritate me - but it does - can't help it and at least I admit it...... :(

thrust
09-11-2005, 04:17 PM
He beat the guy who beat the #2 ranked player, as well as the guy who beat Coria. Get real!!

LaTenista
09-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Ginepri propelled himself up to 21 in the world with the win over Coria in the QFs so I'd have to say this thread is null and void, sorry. :tape:

mandoura
09-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Not in the least. His place in the final is well deserved. He played all his matches and won them, fair and square.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 04:22 PM
It is their fault if they could not do well enough to meet andre as seeded. 13 days ago, there were complaints that his draw was too tough. he lives up to his end of the bargain and others fall of the wayside. now, who should it bother? the ones who fell off

thrust
09-11-2005, 04:25 PM
If Roger loses today, and I hope he does, there is going to be some severe depression on this forum. SOME of Roger^s fans are as arrogant and paranoid as SOME of the Williams sister^s fans have been.

Papakori
09-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I agree, Agassi had to play the players that he had to so there is not anything to be bothered about. And even if rankings aren't top 30 a lot of them he played had the talent and are in splendid form!

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 04:28 PM

That's too simplistic a way of looking at things. Berdych was easily as "tough" as Nalbandian, and Blake in the first 2.5 sets, played better than Hewitt did. Ginperi generally wasn't far off from what Kiefer was offering, either, but ran out of gas playing 4 straight 5-setters. Even, Malisse and Karlovic presented their problems - hell they almost beat Andre..... Hey, would you have felt better had Andre took out Nadal, Coria and Roddick instead? Because the guys he beat did just that.

This is exactly what I was talking about: some shallow MTF losers whining all day long. Instead of cheering on Federer to rip Agassi's (whom they hate with passion) heart out today, they bitch and moan and conspiracy-theorize... Poor sods.

Why can't some people just enjoy tennis? I loved Fed, Safin and now Nadal and Gasquet when they were in juniors and then somewhat-struggling ATP teens; loads of talent, lots of flash and uniqueness about them. Now since they reached their primes (or close to reaching with the latter two) obviously I DON'T ROOT for them to win since I am an Agassi fan, but especially when Agassi is out, I still admire and respect what those players bring to the table when healthy. Ditto for Roddick, Hewitt, Ferrero, Nalbandian, etc..... And if the aformentioned players are fortunate enough to have the desire and good health to last into their late 30's and still display Top 10-caliber tennis, you certainly won't hear as much as a peep out of me.

RogiFan88
09-11-2005, 04:35 PM
not AA's fault that Pandy and Rafa crapped out early

njnetswill
09-11-2005, 05:01 PM
He still had to play some tough matches...so it doesn't matter to me. He earned his spot in the final.

Clara Bow
09-11-2005, 05:17 PM
I always think that people who get far in a tournament deserve to be there. It is not their fault if the higher seeds fell out before they had a chance to meet them. Men's tennis is so deep with talent nowadays anyway, in my opinion, so you can run into a player who may not be ranked in the top 20 - but still has great talent. That's part of what makes the sport so exciting to me nowadays.

WF4EVER
09-11-2005, 05:41 PM
It doesn't bother me in the least. He played every match he had toplay to get to the Final and beat every player he had to play.

Question is: Will it hurt him?

Scotso
09-11-2005, 05:42 PM
It doesn't bother me that he got to the finals that way, but it WILL bother me that people will call this some kind of a miracle... that at 35 he did this. Well, he just held his seeding. He didn't beat play anyone in the top 30, so he SHOULD have been in the final, really.

It's a good run either way, but I just hope people don't go on and on about how miraculous it is. What's more miraculous is that the top players played so poorly in the bottom half.

Viken01
09-11-2005, 05:47 PM
yeah for me this week blake and ginepri had the level of top 10 players so it doesn't bother me, because for example ginepri beat coria, so even if it wasn't a match against a top 10 player, blake and ginepri's level was high but agassi beat them :D

ExpectedWinner
09-11-2005, 06:00 PM
It doesn't bother me. When I first had a look at the draw, I thought " The USTA doesn't care about the old man any more (J/K)." The draw has opened up a bit, but he still had to beat a few dangerous hc players.

Speaking of miracles, it's unbelievable that he's still up to the challenge physically and mentally at this age. All his peers have been playing golf for a few years already.

Peyton
09-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Agassi can only play players that advanced. So I agree that its not his fault that other top seeded players in his draw failed to advance. Even if Agassi not not beat Roger. I hope it goes at least 4 or 5 sets.

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 06:18 PM
It doesn't bother me that he got to the finals that way, but it WILL bother me that people will call this some kind of a miracle... that at 35 he did this. Well, he just held his seeding. He didn't beat play anyone in the top 30, so he SHOULD have been in the final, really.

It's a good run either way, but I just hope people don't go on and on about how miraculous it is. What's more miraculous is that the top players played so poorly in the bottom half.

You're not thinking clearly.

35 and half years old... bad back which might force him to retire after this tournament regardless of the outcome... family commitments... 3 consecutive 5-setters, with no day off before the Final... and, most of all, arguably the greatest talent of ALL-time at the opposing end of the court staring him down in the Final.

If Andre loses today, his run was exceptional but not "miraculous". If he WINS, then it goes into the latter category all things considered. Wake up, hater.

Btw...Blake, Berdych, Ginepri, etc would have blown Karol Beck off the court the way they "badly" played this tourney.

El Legenda
09-11-2005, 06:21 PM
who cares..its not like he has a chance of winning the final.

PaulieM
09-11-2005, 06:30 PM
it doesn't bother me, you can only play who the draw presents you with. he's had a great run, but i don't think it's the miracle that some people claim it is, if anything bothers me it's hearing about him being some sort of living miracle everyday. the seeds in his half of the draw didn't live up to their seeding and he had some luck and took advantage, congrats to him for that. he did what he needed to do.

FaceyFacem
09-11-2005, 06:52 PM
yeah, i hope people don't think i'm trying to belittle andre, i mean, hewitt is my fave player and if he made the finals facing no top 30 players i could care less, i'm just saying it kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth just because you like to see people win majors beating the really top players (or at least i do), and again, if he beats federer, that alone constitutes something phenomenal and worth praising, and i don't even care for federer

PamV
09-12-2005, 12:07 AM

He had a tough draw actually. He had to face Berdych, Blake, and Ginepri. Those are some hot players rising in the ranks now. Both Blake and Ginepri were top 20 in the past and right now they are playing better than ever. Blake beat Nadal pretty handily. In this case the rankings don't mean much.

amierin
09-12-2005, 12:40 AM
It showed in the final. Roger wasn't afraid and waited until Andre had nothing left to give. If Andre had faced a top ranked player prior to the final he would've won or he would've watched from home.

Oh and yes, it did bother me quite a bit.

oneandonlyhsn
09-12-2005, 01:20 AM
No comment :tape:

its.like.that
09-12-2005, 01:28 AM
another ridiculous thread wasting space.

delete it somebody.

tangerine_dream
09-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Someone sent a related question in to si.com this week:

Just read your answer to the question regarding the love for Agassi. He had one of the easiest routes to the final in U.S. Open history, not having to play a single player seeded in the top 31 until he faced Roger Federer. Tomas Berdych was the only seeded player he faced and he struggled against Blake and Ginepri, who were not in the top 32 at the time. I agree with Shawn that the over-affection for Andre is a little too dramatic.
-- Stelio Savante, Astoria, N.Y.

A few of you made this point, but I have to disagree. Yes, if you go by rankings and seedings, Agassi had a cakewalk to the final. (Incidentally, this is a knock against Jimmy Connors' 1991 march as well.) Nevertheless, if you consider the opposition (and the surface), his six wins take on more significance.

Rankings be damned, is there any doubt that Blake and Ginepri didn't come into the Open among the top 10 to 20 hard-court players in the world? Is there any doubt that beating Berdych on hard courts isn't a terrific win? Or that Ivo Karlovic isn't a brutal second-round match? What's more, if you look at Agassi's quality of play over the two weeks -- right up until the fourth set of the final -- it was clear that his run was not merely "luck of the draw." If you don't want to deify Agassi, that's fine. But let's not diminish his run at the Open.

- - -

Well said, Jonny :yeah:

AgassiFan
09-22-2005, 08:25 PM
If you don't want to deify Agassi, that's fine.:

Why even give credende to the above knee-jerk moronism? Agassi is one of the few tennis players who is still more or less popular in the US, and his run was indeed outstanding, all things considered.

But that is about it. Yes, he is not a deity or even a demigod. Are you haters happy now? Good, now crawl away in peace.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
09-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Nah, It's good that he made the final, no matter how:worship: I realy wanted him to win!:)

gillian
09-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Nah, it doesn't bother me. He played through some very tough matches to get to the final.

Scotso
09-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Btw...Blake, Berdych, Ginepri, etc would have blown Karol Beck off the court the way they "badly" played this tourney.

I don't see why people need to bring up Karol Beck. It just makes your argument seem even more stupid. This has nothing to do with him.

And when did I say that Blake, Berdych, and Ginepri played badly?

AgassiFan
09-22-2005, 08:36 PM
I don't see why people need to bring up Karol Beck.

It's called 'perspective'. Beck wouldn't have gotten past Ivo - hell, Andre almost didn't - let alone Berdych, Malisse, Blake or Ginepri the way they played. He also had Roddick and Nadal in his half.... So much for the "cakewalk" draw.

And your calling an arguement stupid doesn't diminish either its timeliness or validity. In fact, you being a human version of a contrarian indicator, your insults are taken as compliments, trust me :)

Scotso
09-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Since when have I claimed that Karol is a better player than Agassi? Some people don't need to believe their favorite is a God to support them.

AgassiFan
09-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Some people don't need to believe their favorite is a God to support them.

Yes, because, if you search and scrutinize my posts, that's EXACTLY what I consider Andre to be... you silly, passive-aggressive rabbit. :rolleyes:

lilfairyprincess
09-22-2005, 09:46 PM
nope not one bit!!

agassi :worship: