Only Blake had a chance in this tournament to beat Federer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Only Blake had a chance in this tournament to beat Federer

konyalikartal
09-11-2005, 09:58 AM
As you know Blake hasn't won a 5 set match in his career. This is very doubtful situation for his future. Nobody can be a Top 10 player without winning a 5 set match. But if he had survived in his match against Agassi he would be a real threat against Federer because of these reasons:
1) Crowd factor: Of course crowd will be at Agassi's side today but there is no fanatic crowd like "J-Block" because they were so irritating against Blake's opponents like we have seen at Rafa's match. Although Rafa is a very experienced player against a home crowd's player with huge audiences he lost his concentration many times against this irritating "James James James" noise every time at the beginning of a game. I couldn't think the situation when he's in the final. As you know also from past when the crowd is really against Federer, makes some irritating noise and really wants him to lose Federer gets really angry and makes a lot of mistakes. This would really be a factor. Today against Agassi there wouldn't be any irritating noise for Federer; of course they will cheer for Agassi but this would be no danger for Federer because he is very experienced and played many matches in these situations but nobody is immune to "J-Block" I think:)

madmanfool
09-11-2005, 10:01 AM
lan olum, you expect us to read messages this long?

konyalikartal
09-11-2005, 10:21 AM
2) Forehand factor: I watched many matches in this tournament and I think Blake has the best forehand. He has so much pace in it, that this type surface is needed for important points, and crushed even Rafa with this forehand. So Federer would have many problems in the rallies with this huge forehand.
3) His athleticism: He is a young player like Federer so every point he runs runs runs and even he may get points where Federer would think the point is over. Also this is a very irritating situation for Federer.

konyalikartal
09-11-2005, 10:21 AM
With all these I think Federer would lose his concentration and Blake would have a chance against him. But against all these factors he couldn't win in straight sets or in 4 sets against Federer. I mean with all these factors he may only get to a 5th set but at the end could have a very slim chance in the 5th set because of his bad W-L record at 5 set matches. But winning that 5th set against Agassi would be very important for his match against Federer because this time he will start to believe that he can win 5 set matches so this could be crucial against his match against Federer. By this sentence I mean that if he had won a 3 or 4 set match against Agassi his chances were much less in the situation where he had won a 5 set match against Agassi. By this way he could have a chance against Federer winning in 5 sets. On the contrary everybody knows that Blake has no chance beating Federer in 3 or 4 sets no matter what he does or no matter what the conditions are...

konyalikartal
09-11-2005, 10:22 AM
I think it is better to read now :)

IMMORTALCHAMP
09-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I think Blake matches up with Federer extremely well. Players that can create supersonic speed off a slow ball can threaten Federer.

oneandonlyhsn
09-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Coulda woulda shoulda

madmanfool
09-11-2005, 10:39 AM
thanks ;)

uNIVERSE mAN
09-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Blake doesn't have the serve or consistency to really threaten, when push comes to shove Blake will resort to his old style of play, going for winners in ridiculous positions on court.

thrust
09-11-2005, 12:32 PM
I am inclined to agree about Blake, physically, against Roger. However, if Andre keeps his cool he has a good chance of beating Roger. Hopefully he will not, like Mary Pierce, try to go for too much early on. He needs, if possible, to keep Roger running and then go for the big shot. Good luck to Andre, even though I was rooting for Blake and Ginepri.