The more Agassi wins the longer he will play [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The more Agassi wins the longer he will play

IMMORTALCHAMP
09-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Q. Considering the three five‑setters, considering where you were ten weeks ago, the opportunity to go out there and play in this final, what does it mean to you?
ANDRE AGASSI: How do you find words for what this means? This has been some of the greatest memories I've ever had on a tennis court. I'll have these memories with me the rest of my life. I mean, you know, to be in the finals at age 35 just means you're going to have to put up with me a lot longer (smiling).

I've heard comments like this frequently this year from Agassi. Its pretty obvious he's not looking to go out on top like a Pete Sampras. Agassi wants to play for as long as he can compete for slams. According to doctors his sciatic nerve can be treated with cortisone injections 4 times per year with no health risk involved. So retirement will only be relevant if Agassi's standard of tennis drops off. He has 8 slams, so a motivation would be to get 10. 10 slams, career grand slam, Olympic gold medal, Davis Cup, number one ranking, a very complete career.