PMac: Agassi's chances are pretty slim [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

PMac: Agassi's chances are pretty slim

Tennis Fool
09-11-2005, 12:18 AM
However, if he can get out in front he has a chance.

nobama
09-11-2005, 12:25 AM
:lol: Does this surprise anyone. Of course they're going to downplay Andre's chances, even though they've been saying throughout this tournament that he's been playing some of his best tennis ever. They want all the pressure to be on Roger.

andre the great
09-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Please God this tactic will work

its.like.that
09-11-2005, 01:03 AM
:banana:

Agassi will get smashed.

:D

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Here is what agassi thinks about his chances:

“There’s no weakness to speak of,” Agassi said. “You play a bad match against Pete, you lose 6-4, 7-5. You play a good match against Pete, you lose 6-4, 7-5. You play a good match against Federer, you lose 6-4, 7-5. You play a bad match against Federer, you lose 1 and 1.”

Scotso
09-11-2005, 01:55 AM
I think it was PMac that suggested his only method of winning vs. Federer... hiring someone to cap him in the knee a la Tonya Harding.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 01:57 AM
I think it was PMac that suggested his only method of winning vs. Federer... hiring someone to cap him in the knee a la Tonya Harding.
JMac said that
and that was a suggestion for leyton during the match today

PMc did add later that there was a slight chance (the "slim" of the thread title) because of the crowd and perhaps Roge is tired because he played later -- Roge's match was 13 minutes longer than andre's btw. Also, Roge played in cool conditions while andre played in the blazing heat, so I'm not sure the earlier times helped andre much. Furthermore, andre's physically older body has had to go through 3 5-setters.

So all in all the stars have lined up for Roge to pick up his 6th slam, but he cannot do it on the quality he brought today unless andre is also subpar

lunahielo
09-11-2005, 02:24 AM
He can do it. :)

bandabou
09-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Of course everybody stands a chance...but I think Roger´s ability to step it up in finals, will be the difference.

RogiFan88
09-11-2005, 03:41 AM
why do you listen to that dork? it's reverse psychology

Tennis Fool
09-11-2005, 04:42 AM
I wonder if PMac would have used the word slim if Goldenboy was in the final :scratch:

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 04:53 AM
So all in all the stars have lined up for Roge to pick up his 6th slam, but he cannot do it on the quality he brought today unless andre is also subpar

I haven't seen anything from Andre that approached the level of play he displayed against, say, Sampras at 2001 USO or Federer at 2004 USO, both QF.

So what makes you think Agassi won't be subpar tomorrow? Was it his under 50% 1st serve for most of today (except for 3rd set)? Or his mind blowing 9-winners-to-35-UE on the backhand side? Maybe his getting caught flat-footed by every other decent serve-return and being forced to harmlessly half-volley from the baseline as a result? Perhaps it's his 35 year old body, complete with a herniated disc, that will propel Andre to the top - coming off back-to-back-to-back 5 setters, no less... and no day off before the final.

Anything is possible; that's why they PLAY the games. That much goes without saying. But whoever is picking Agassi NOT to get blown off the court tomorrow, all things considered, is seriously reaching.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 04:58 AM
So what makes you think Agassi won't be subpar tomorrow? Was it his under 50% 1st serve for most of today (except for 3rd set)? Or his mind blowing 9-winners-to-35-UE on the backhand side? Maybe his getting caught flat-foot by every other decent serve-return and being forced to harmlessly half-volley from the baseline as a result?
But whoever is picking Agassi NOT to get blown off the court tomorrow, all things considered, is seriously reaching.

No, I dont know this is why i say "unless agassi is also subpar". but for tomorrow, I will say again: andre is in a very special situation. he knows that his chances of returning to slam finals with the physical injury, and with age and such is not getting better. i believe he is going to play with a vengeance, pull out all stops, until he might literally collapse on the court.
I think Roge will do the same - he places more emphasis in slams.

The statistics you show are not good, but Roge's level today everyone will agree was not good either. Many have thought that with nalbandi his level will increase, but he played many bad points today. I still think that momentum lies with Roge, because of the last several matches he learned to play andre, and yes he is fresher even though he played the later match. But i have no belief that it will be easy or straights. It is my feeling that Roge will win, but i do not believe very much that andre is being blown off the court. not at all. i think this can be quite a bit competitive

darnyelb
09-11-2005, 05:05 AM
My god, if Roger plays like he did today and Andre plays like a beast, who knows what could happen?

Fedex
09-11-2005, 06:01 AM
However, if he can get out in front he has a chance.
He's really going out on a limb here isn't he?? Thank you, McEnroe; such insightfulness! :lol: :rolls:

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 06:04 AM
The statistics you show are not good, but Roge's level today everyone will agree was not good either

The problem is Roger still had BETTER stats than Andre did today... against a better opponent in Hewitt. And his young & healthy body will recover much faster.

And remember this: Roger can get away with, say, 45% 1st serve and having 30+ UE. Why? Because he hits a shitload of winners from anywhere on the court AND induces a lot of forced errors AND is tough as nails on "big" points - as evident even today when he didn't play that great overall.... Agassi is in much more dire circumstances: if he can't play super-clean tennis stats-wise, if he can't dictate most points, he's in big trouble.

Finally (pun fully intended), Roger is known for raising his game in Finals, especially against Agassi whom he resents for unjustly stealing what he perceives to be HIS spotlight. He will show NO mercy tomorrow.

IMMORTALCHAMP
09-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Q. Do you know what it takes to beat him? Is it a matter of executing it? Or are you still looking for answers?>

ANDRE AGASSI: You hit it in that corner and that corner and that corner and that corner over and over again, and you beat him. But you got to do it.

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Q. Do you know what it takes to beat him? Is it a matter of executing it? Or are you still looking for answers?>

ANDRE AGASSI: You hit it in that corner and that corner and that corner and that corner over and over again, and you beat him. But you got to do it.

I mean, it's that simple isn't it?

Hewitt played courageous tennis today, but he STIll didn't quite hit enough "corners" when it mattered the most. On some of the "bigger" points, it seemed like, Lleyton either went for too much when all he needed was deep placement/spin and a decent disguise, or else played too conservatively when all he needed to finish Federer off was lots of pace...

Easier said than done, that's for sure.

IMMORTALCHAMP
09-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Agassi will step up and execute.

safdem
09-11-2005, 07:10 AM
yes, his chances are slim but he has the crowd behind his back and that will give him a bit of an advantage.
good luck andrei!!!! please take the title

landoud
09-11-2005, 08:26 AM
everybody has a chance .. but the question is:whose chances are bigger?

mandy20
09-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi I dont want andre to lose in 3 sets and give it away I want andre to make Fed work for it so another 5 sets going to the 5 set T/B with andre winning go andre go make Fed work for it

s.m.
09-11-2005, 09:53 AM
a) 2005 ATP Masters Series Miami, Hard, S
FL, U.S.A. Hard S Federer 6 4 6 3
2005 Dubai, Hard, S
U.A.E. Hard S Federer 6 3 6 1
2005 Australian Open, Hard, Q
Australia Hard Q Federer 6 3 6 4 6 4

b)2005 ATP Masters Series Miami, Hard, S
FL, U.S.A. Hard S Federer 6 4 6 3
2005 Dubai, Hard, S
U.A.E. Hard S Federer 6 3 6 1
2005 Australian Open, Hard, Q
Australia Hard Q Federer 6 3 6 4 6 4
2004 US Open, Hard, Q
NY, U.S.A. Hard Q Federer 6 3 2 6 7 5 3 6 6 3
2004 Indian Wells AMS, Hard, S
California, USA Hard S Federer 4 6 6 3 6 4
2003 Tennis Masters Cup, Hard, F
Houston, TX, USA Hard F Federer 6 3 6 0 6 4
2003 Tennis Masters Cup, Hard, RR
Houston, TX, USA Hard RR Federer 6 7 6 3 7 6

now let´s be serious
what chance
3 times this year he destoyed him

IMMORTALCHAMP
09-11-2005, 09:56 AM
everybody has a chance .. but the question is:whose chances are bigger?

Its more "Who takes their chances?" Hewitt didn't. Agassi will.

Halba
09-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Agassi is much at home at the US OPen court

He did take Fed to 5 sets last year. He is a much more experienced player (1 year more experienceD)

expect Agassi to engage in some brutal hitting rallies

He'll play like a man with nothing to lose, will go for the lines and who knows may come up with a set or two. Agassi 10 years ago would have given Fed a run for his money i rekon

nobama
09-11-2005, 10:26 AM
I haven't seen anything from Andre that approached the level of play he displayed against, say, Sampras at 2001 USO or Federer at 2004 USO, both QF.

So what makes you think Agassi won't be subpar tomorrow? Was it his under 50% 1st serve for most of today (except for 3rd set)? Or his mind blowing 9-winners-to-35-UE on the backhand side? Maybe his getting caught flat-footed by every other decent serve-return and being forced to harmlessly half-volley from the baseline as a result? Perhaps it's his 35 year old body, complete with a herniated disc, that will propel Andre to the top - coming off back-to-back-to-back 5 setters, no less... and no day off before the final.

Anything is possible; that's why they PLAY the games. That much goes without saying. But whoever is picking Agassi NOT to get blown off the court tomorrow, all things considered, is seriously reaching.

.....Andre even said yesterday that his play was patchy. JMac said it was a "high quality" match, but I beg to differ. Still I think Roger has to start strong and not give the crowd any reason to think he's vulnerable or off his game. Because Andre will force Roger to have to play at a high level...he's not going to give anything to Roger.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 02:31 PM
The crowd could play a role or not

If Roge gets to a great start and wins one set, it would not make too much change to crowd. But if Roge gets to two sets up to love over andre, then the crowd might be silenced into expecing "inevitable". like in roddick match, they lost all interest in third set and even start to cheer for the opponent.

Roge certainly has to find ways to keep the crowd out of distracting him in the early parts.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
09-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Agassi will fight Roger down in 5

LaTenista
09-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Given PMac's DC display in LA in March (The "dream" team crushed by Croatia), I only hope Andre wins today to once again prove he has no clue what he's talking about. :smash:

Andre's run this year reminds me so much of Sampras' last Open. :awww:

thrust
09-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Agassi has nothing to lose or prove so, if he is healthy, he can just go for his best shots. He hits harder and with more variety than Hewitt. He is also much more clever than Hewitt, on court. Naturally Roger is the favorite, but where there is life there is hope. I just hope it is an entertaining match, as we have two great champions in the final.