Federer-Agassi:who will win? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer-Agassi:who will win?

DDrago2
09-11-2005, 12:45 AM
I think oldy-baldy will be dismissed in three sets.

andre the great
09-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Fed will probably win. But Baldy will give it his all and I think that is worth a set or two

rofe
09-11-2005, 12:55 AM
This poll is actually flawed. Agassi has more chances of winning this poll. :D

Tatanka
09-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Federer in 3 sets.

andre the great
09-11-2005, 01:06 AM
I applaud Dre for the wonderful achievment of actually being in the final at his age. But if Fed wins in three I will physically die of disappointment

DDrago2
09-11-2005, 01:19 AM
This poll is actually flawed.

No it's not.

Agassi has more chances of winning this poll. :D

He doesn't. Federer will pummel him tomorrow.

AnneMarie
09-11-2005, 01:41 AM
:( Unfortunately, Andre will probably lose in straights to Fed/Jesus. But
I hope he don't get bagled or breadsticked--that would be awful. BTW, I
wonder why so many posters on the board seem to think Andre's a
terrible player who has been lucky to get this far? I think the average age
of people posting on this board must be 14 or 15, because most of you
seem to have no perspective at all. Just wait 10 years until YOUR fave
player is a washed up 34 year old (that is, if he happens to still be
playing) and gets beat up by younger players whose fans tell you how
sucky your long-time favorite is. ;)

HappyAndie
09-11-2005, 01:45 AM
My heart says Agassi. Everyone's brain says Federer.

'nough said. That is all there is to say, really. Agassi has no chance if it goes to a fifth set, really even a four set. And there is no way he can beat Roger in straight sets.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 01:52 AM
:( Unfortunately, Andre will probably lose in straights to Fed/Jesus. I hope he don't get bagled or breadsticked--that would be awful.
No way! I dont think Roge will beat andre with breadstick or bagel. In fact I think this can be competitive. Roge has had a good strategy in beating him for 7 straight matches, which is why instinct says that it would be difficult for andre to win tomorrow

But andre is on borrowed time. he will leave everything out there even if it means he come to receive trophy on a stretcher or wheelchair. he knows that opportunities for slam finals again are very slim in the future.

i dont know if crowd will play a role. Roge says he has played in hostile situations with Davis cup, and is not fearful of the crowd. But they might try to distract, this could be a problem

AnneMarie
09-11-2005, 01:54 AM
My heart says Agassi. Everyone's brain says Federer.

'nough said. That is all there is to say, really. Agassi has no chance if it goes to a fifth set, really even a four set. And there is no way he can beat Roger in straight sets.

Trust me, Andre has NO CHANCE AT ALL to win that match tomorrow.
If Fed's own contemporaries such as Hewitt, Nalbandian et. al. can't
manage to beat him more than 2 or 3 times in an entire YEAR, what
hope does the old guy have?? :sad:

rofe
09-11-2005, 01:59 AM
I applaud Dre for the wonderful achievment of actually being in the final at his age. But if Fed wins in three I will physically die of disappointment

When are you scheduling your wake? ;)

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Trust me, Andre has NO CHANCE AT ALL to win that match tomorrow.
If Fed's own contemporaries such as Hewitt, Nalbandian et. al. can't
manage to beat him more than 2 or 3 times in an entire YEAR, what
hope does the old guy have?? :sad:

This is a very special situation for andre. He has reached a major final after about 10 slams or whatever, and he knows that the chances for reaching more major finals is too small.

pete came back from the dead to win the Open in 02. I do think that Roge will win, but it would be wrong to be dismissive of andre like you have done, meaning the "No Chance"

Art&Soul
09-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Federer, Hope he can make it in 3 :)

bandabou
09-11-2005, 02:39 AM
I just can´t see Andre beating Roger. He might test him, push him...but not beat him. Roger already has had his greatest challenges: David and Lleyton and even Kiefer...and he passed them all. Plus when you contrast the pace of how Lleyton and Roger were playing compared to what Ginepri and Andre were doing....it is no contest.

AnneMarie
09-11-2005, 02:43 AM
pete came back from the dead to win the Open in 02. I do think that Roge will win, but it would be wrong to be dismissive of andre like you have done, meaning the "No Chance"

Pete was Andre's nemesis during most of his career. It makes perfect
sense for the 'great, wonderful, sportsmanlike, Pete/Jesus-before-Fed-
was-Jesus' to go out on another drubbing of Dre and then ride off into
the sunset, because Pete sensed he could NEVER top that scenario.
That won't happen for Dre, believe me. Thanks for your kind words
about Andre, but I sense from what I saw today that Fed is going to
try to whip Andre the worst he ever has. LLeyton ticked him off
by taking a set, and now he'll want to silence the American crowd
ASAP. Just watch him play his very best in the final--the sadist!! :p

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 02:51 AM
AnneMarie -- I hope that you are still going to be happy tomorrow that andre reached the final, after such a bad year physically and with many questions about retirement. I hope it is at least a good match, I don't see it being a disaster for andre -- he has never had a terrible match against Roge even the 7 ones he has lost straight, he has played pretty good.

Also, you are here since 2002 but only 20 posts??

PaulieM
09-11-2005, 02:54 AM
i hope roger but this is definitely the best shot andre has had to beat roger in a long time.

RonE
09-11-2005, 02:59 AM
I think people are too quick to dismiss Andre. Federer has not yet proven to me that he has hit top gear thus far in this year's Open. Tomorrow is his last chance and I hope that he does. But if he stands as far behind the baseline as he did today bunting the BH and lets Andre dictate then he could be in very serious trouble. He will have to stand inside or around the baseline, push Agassi around as much as he can, mix up the pace throwing in the occassional slice and STOP TRYING TO IMMITATE A KAMIKAZE BY HITTING AWFUL APPROACH SHOTS AND GOING INTO THE NET LIKE HE DID TODAY ONLY TO GET PASSED.

If he can cut down on his errors, have a solid serving day and make Agassi the one who does the moving then he has an excellent chance.

NYCtennisfan
09-11-2005, 03:00 AM
If Andre doesn't win the first set then it is probably likely that he will lose in straight sets.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 03:04 AM
How many people willing to bet that Ken Rosewall (currently, record holder of oldest player to reach USO final at 39) will be giving out the trophy to andre, win or lose? ;)

That would be a nice touch

bandabou
09-11-2005, 03:24 AM
I think people are too quick to dismiss Andre. Federer has not yet proven to me that he has hit top gear thus far in this year's Open. Tomorrow is his last chance and I hope that he does. But if he stands as far behind the baseline as he did today bunting the BH and lets Andre dictate then he could be in very serious trouble. He will have to stand inside or around the baseline, push Agassi around as much as he can, mix up the pace throwing in the occassional slice and STOP TRYING TO IMMITATE A KAMIKAZE BY HITTING AWFUL APPROACH SHOTS AND GOING INTO THE NET LIKE HE DID TODAY ONLY TO GET PASSED.

If he can cut down on his errors, have a solid serving day and make Agassi the one who does the moving then he has an excellent chance.

I´m sure he will do just that. ;)

bad gambler
09-11-2005, 04:07 AM
fed in straight sets

AnneMarie
09-11-2005, 04:13 AM
AnneMarie -- I hope that you are still going to be happy tomorrow that andre reached the final, after such a bad year physically and with many questions about retirement. I hope it is at least a good match, I don't see it being a disaster for andre -- he has never had a terrible match against Roge even the 7 ones he has lost straight, he has played pretty good.

Thanks for the kind words, sweetie! Hope Dre plays better than he did
in the semis, at any rate.

And yes, I shamefully admit that I'm mostly a lurker on these boards. I
don't usually post because 1), don't have the time, and 2), most of the
posters on this board seem mentally retarded with regards to halfway
sensible discussions on most subjects. Not you, of course. There are a
few posters here who are reasonable--but not many! ;)

Pingpong
09-11-2005, 04:16 AM
Federer in three

Agassi is old, played 2 long five set matches and will be out of leg.
I believed Hewitt played really good tennis against Federer but had to do so with heaps of movement. Not sure if Agassi is up to that.

Fergie
09-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Rogi in 3

Phunkadelicious
09-11-2005, 04:25 AM
my head tells me Federer will blow through Agassi easily, and I've been predicting that ever since Agassi got through the semi, but something is tellin me.....

Agassi in 5!

RogiFan88
09-11-2005, 04:27 AM
Why do people think Rogi will dismiss AA so easily? ...based on Rogi's play today? ...based on Rogi's play in R2, R3, R16, SF?? or based on his play in R1 and QF vs. Nalby. I wouldn't be so sure. AA's REALLY up for this match and is determined to win his 9th slam. Not to say that Rogi doesn't want his 6th... depends on how Rogi comes out tomorrow. Hewitt pushed Rogi and threw him off more than he imagined he w.

Golfnduck
09-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Please Andre, win. I don't care how many sets it takes, just win.

El Legenda
09-11-2005, 04:38 AM
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=Federer%2C+Roger&player2=agassi

KoOlMaNsEaN
09-11-2005, 04:41 AM
Hopefully roger in 4 :)

oneandonlyhsn
09-11-2005, 05:38 AM
After the stupid questions that were asked of Fed today, I hope he unleashes the ninja and goes for the kill from get go :(

*Viva Chile*
09-11-2005, 05:47 AM

And you have life??? you are here since only few days ago and already have more than 400 posts :eek:

How many hours do you spend here???? :o

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 06:02 AM
And you have life??? you are here since only few days ago and already have more than 400 posts :eek:

How many hours do you spend here???? :o

Yes, someone else asked that ;)

I took two days off to follow the match (Thurs afternoon, and Friday), and I gave live commentary continuous for Roge's QF and SF (you can see on Roge's thread) --5 people asked for it because no TV for them.

And then, I have to answer this question also ... ;)

But my hands are very tired and after US Open will finish, I will take a long break. By the way I was wasting time on WTA world before. Waste of time!

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 07:27 AM
But andre is on borrowed time. he will leave everything out there even if it means he come to receive trophy on a stretcher or wheelchair. he knows that opportunities for slam finals again are very slim in the future.

There's the rub: Andre's too error-prone (given the small amount of winners he produces, anyway) as it is. Methodically chipping away at his opponent is his MO.

Now can you imagine him going BALLS ALL OUT on groundstrokes that tend to find the net or go long even when he plays more conservatively? The sheer amount of UE and FE that will likely result... Even Andre says that when he gets ahead of himself and tries to out-gun the young'ins, he is probably going to lose... and he was talking about your Malisses and Ginepris, not even top 10 guys.

I mean he COULD try to chase everything down and do Kim Clisters-like splits, but it's not as if Federer doesn't know how to put away those counter-punching floaters... And I wonder how much running can Andre's back handle; wouldn't it be a shame if he won the first set, was up a break early in the second... and had to literally be carried off in a stretcher?

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 07:34 AM
pete came back from the dead to win the Open in 02. "

With all due respect, Pete didn't have to deal with Roddick in his USO prime, let alone with the unstoppable juggernaut that is Federer. Rememer, it's the same Pete who was getting blown off the court by both Safin and Hewitt the previous 2 years...

Pete also had a big weapon Agassi doesn't: one of the greatest serves of all time; that thing made getting out of 0-30/15-40 holes a little easier... Federer's return is amazing, but when Pete was hitting those lines seemingly every time he found himself in trouble and was getting a lot more "Easy" points by putting away floaters with his superb volleying ... That's enough to discourage anyone.

Agassi will have to work his ass off for every point tomorrow. And that's too much to ask of him, IMO. Better luck at 2006 Aussie where Federer may not have quite the same level of intensity/physical preparation.

AgassiFan
09-11-2005, 07:41 AM
If Andre doesn't win the first set then it is probably likely that he will lose in straight sets.

Very true.

In a sense, the 1st set IS the 5th set for Andre; losing it is losing the match IMO.

IMMORTALCHAMP
09-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Well, Agassi took 2 sets off Federer in last year's US OPEN quarterfinal. Agassi is obviously playing better this year than he was last year (and Federer is not playing aswell this year as he was last year) so I am sure Agassi will win 3 sets this time around.

landoud
09-11-2005, 08:59 AM
federer in 4

azza
09-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Federer 3-6 6-2 6-2 7-6(7)

Björki
09-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Fed will win. However I want Andre to win.

yanchr
09-11-2005, 10:35 AM
After the stupid questions that were asked of Fed today, I hope he unleashes the ninja and goes for the kill from get go :(
So true :(

Those journalists have no brain in luring Roger into believing he would destroy the perfect ending of the tournament if he wins. Surely Roger won't take the bait. So stupid :o

IMMORTALCHAMP
09-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Agassi in 4.

Fi-Fi
09-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Fed will win. However I want Andre to win.
thats what i think too :(

uNIVERSE mAN
09-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Federer in straight sets.

bandabou
09-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Excactly....Hewitt was pushing Roger the other day, because he gets a lots balls back, sometimes even possible balls. I don´t think Andre is quite the mover that Hewitt is...but we´ll see. No walk in the park, so Roger better be ready for the battle.

*karen*
09-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Roger will win in straight sets!

1sun
09-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Well, Agassi took 2 sets off Federer in last year's US OPEN quarterfinal. Agassi is obviously playing better this year than he was last year (and Federer is not playing aswell this year as he was last year) so I am sure Agassi will win 3 sets this time around.
alot is being made of federers level of play because hes produced unbelievable stuff so they compare it to that.
federer is playing better tennis than agassi at this open.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
09-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Agassi in 5

6-7(2) 5-7 7-6(9) 7-5 7-6(24)

Agassi's the new US Open champion after 11 mp's saved!

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 03:01 PM
I have dream that Roge wins in 4 sets (loses first set). we will see if my dreams are stupid :retard: or correct :yeah:

hythger
09-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Agassi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!