it's all about the big points... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

it's all about the big points...

federer express
09-10-2005, 10:13 PM
nobody plays them nearly as well as federer. and that above anything else, is why he is streets ahead of the rest of the tour!!

Levo.
09-10-2005, 10:21 PM
For the most part Hewitt has been just hitting it back to the centre of the court for Fed to punish.

But you are right also.

bandabou
09-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Yep! I mean saving 6 sp´s and then win the tiebreaker at love in that manner? :worship:

oneandonlyhsn
09-10-2005, 10:24 PM
That TB was :eek: That was some unreal shit, I mean how the hell does ninja come up with some of those shots :bowdown: I am not worthy of seeing such things

federer express
09-10-2005, 10:26 PM
That TB was :eek: That was some unreal shit, I mean how the hell does ninja come up with some of those shots :bowdown: I am not worthy of seeing such things

illustrates why he will continue to dominate the game and why i dont understand the complaints about it. give me federer over the people that have nothing but height, big serves and power any day!

oneandonlyhsn
09-10-2005, 10:28 PM
illustrates why he will continue to dominate the game and why i dont understand the complaints about it. give me federer over the people that have nothing but height, big serves and power any day!

:yeah: word

bandabou
09-10-2005, 10:31 PM
That backhand for 5-0...:eek: right, I mean RIGHT in the corner!! Amazing.

Sjengster
09-10-2005, 11:05 PM
That's why he blows 4 breakpoints in the third set and manages to lose it, then?

federer express
09-10-2005, 11:08 PM
That's why he blows 4 breakpoints in the third set and manages to lose it, then?

i never said he wins every big point, did i?

but if you think hewitt is gonna win the match from 2sets to love down, fair enough. but for me the match was decided in the second set, when he saved the set points.

so yes...he still plays the big points better than anyone else. and i'm not just saying that based on this match. it has been a consistent theme of his success over the last 2 years!

Flibbertigibbet
09-10-2005, 11:09 PM
This is why you don't make topics like this before the match is over, I guess. I mean, don't underestimate Federer (he is one of the best at the big points), but don't underestimate his opponents either.

But, of course, Sjengster, remember that he saved six set points in the second set - potentally he could have been two sets to one down, but instead he's two sets to one up, which is certainly a more comfortable situation.

federer express
09-10-2005, 11:10 PM
This is why you don't make topics like this before the match is over, I guess. I mean, don't underestimate Federer (he is one of the best at the big points), but don't underestimate his opponents either.

But, of course, Sjengster, remember that he saved six set points in the second set - potentally he could have been two sets to one down, but instead he's two sets to one up, which is certainly a more comfortable situation.

a lot like my previous post. and i will make this thread confidently before the match is over, because even if hewitt could come back to win...highly unlikely...it doesn't change the facts!

federer express
09-10-2005, 11:29 PM
federer breaks to love...damn i made this thread too soon

LLeytonRules
09-10-2005, 11:32 PM
He needs to stop getting tight and lazy, i basically thought it was over in the third set and LLeyton gave it 100 percent.Sampras would have finished him off.

federer express
09-10-2005, 11:33 PM
He needs to stop getting tight and lazy, i basically thought it was over in the third set and LLeyton gave it 100 percent.Sampras would have finished him off.

yes because sampras often murdered hewitt...(check their head to head)

ClaycourtaZzZz.
09-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Now the GOD thinks back to Melbourne 2003;)

Sjengster
09-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Not sweating a little at 0-30 in that last game, fed ex? On this form tomorrow looks like a pretty even battle. It's time he stopped playing like crap when it really counts and plays the way we know he can. I didn't become a fan of Federer just to watch somebody win all the time while playing sub-par tennis in important matches.

nobama
09-10-2005, 11:39 PM
He's not playing sub-par tennis all the time. :rolleyes: It wasn't the greatest display today, but he won. That's all I care about.

federer express
09-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Not sweating a little at 0-30 in that last game, fed ex? On this form tomorrow looks like a pretty even battle. It's time he stopped playing like crap when it really counts and plays the way we know he can. I didn't become a fan of Federer just to watch somebody win all the time while playing sub-par tennis in important matches.

like we have said over the last month, he hasn't played great tennis throughout. but he is beyond any doubt the best on the big points and the best at finding a way to win. he lost one set in two matches against quality opponents in nalbandian and hewitt. he is mentally too strong for the rest, who genuinely dont believe they have the games to beat him.

agassi will go the same way sadly. (sadly for agassi and all his fans including myself, he will be dominated)

Mechlan
09-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Lackluster stuff from Roger those last 2 sets. Credit to Hewitt for really giving him a battle. Federer can get lazy sometimes, but I think he's playing well enough to win this thing tomorrow.

asotgod
09-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Federer is getting too lazy on his footwork. he is also very bored as the saying goes "it's very lonely at the top". I think we need a rivalry with Gasquet or another great all-courter because you can see it seems as if he cant just lift himself to play as he can unless under pressure and believe you me, complacency kills.

Flibbertigibbet
09-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, only Federer can get to Slam finals by playing sub-par tennis and dropping only two sets en route (did they do the same 'stop playing sub-par' thing to Sampras? I'm not sure...), so - I guess, sub-par tennis all the way, baby. :cool:

By the way, +17 winners to errors differential, 61% first serve percentage, 68% of first serve points won, 58% of second serve points won, 43% of receiving points won. Not his best day, and that third set was a bit of a choke, but geez...

federer express
09-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Federer is getting too lazy on his footwork. he is also very bored as the saying goes "it's very lonely at the top". I think we need a rivalry with Gasquet or another great all-courter because you can see it seems as if he cant just lift himself to play as he can unless under pressure and believe you me, complacency kills.

agree he needs more consisitent challenges. but if i was federer, by the end of the third round i would have thought 'i've won another slam!'

rofe
09-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Sjengster is being too hard on Fed. Unfortunately, he has raised the level of tennis so much that we are unable to tolerate sloppyness from him at all. We want him to be perfect all the time which is pretty much impossible. Even Sampras will tell you that. The thing that is more important is how he is when the chips are down. Can he adjust his game to pull through?

He showed that rather admirably in the 2nd set after saving multiple break/set points and then blowing away Hewitt in the tie-break.

There is no doubt that he was not playing well today but part of that is due to Hewitt who really raised the level of his game and took it to Fed. As the thread starter pointed out, Fed carved out wins on the big points and is now in the finals. At the end of the day, that counts and nothing else.

federer express
09-10-2005, 11:57 PM
We want him to be perfect all the time which is pretty much impossible. Even Sampras will tell you that.

sampras was very ordinary for long spells of most of his matches!

nobama
09-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Sjengster is being too hard on Fed. Unfortunately, he has raised the level of tennis so much that we are unable to tolerate sloppyness from him at all. We want him to be perfect all the time which is pretty much impossible. Even Sampras will tell you that. The thing that is more important is how he is when the chips are down. Can he adjust his game to pull through?

He showed that rather admirably in the 2nd set after saving multiple break/set points and then blowing away Hewitt in the tie-break.

There is no doubt that he was not playing well today but part of that is due to Hewitt who really raised the level of his game and took it to Fed. As the thread starter pointed out, Fed carved out wins on the big points and is now in the finals. At the end of the day, that counts and nothing else.
:worship:

nobama
09-10-2005, 11:59 PM
sampras was very ordinary for long spells of most of his matches!This is true, but he stepped it up when he had to. Roger choked a bit in the third, but what impressed me was how he played in the second set tb. He knew it would be tougher for Lleyton to come back or think he has a chance if he was down two sets.

nobama
09-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Well, only Federer can get to Slam finals by playing sub-par tennis and dropping only two sets en route (did they do the same 'stop playing sub-par' thing to Sampras? I'm not sure...), so - I guess, sub-par tennis all the way, baby. :cool:

By the way, +17 winners to errors differential, 61% first serve percentage, 68% of first serve points won, 58% of second serve points won, 43% of receiving points won. Not his best day, and that third set was a bit of a choke, but geez...At the end of the day winning is what counts, even if it's a bit ugly along the way.

federer express
09-11-2005, 12:02 AM
This is true, but he stepped it up when he had to. Roger choked a bit in the third, but what impressed me was how he played in the second set tb. He knew it would be tougher for Lleyton to come back or think he has a chance if he was down two sets.

similarity between sampras and federer was that they generally picked up their games at the crucial stages and could both win not playing well.

sampras did it based primarily on his serve, whereas federer has a more allround approach and way of achieving the same result.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 12:07 AM
I will take Roge winning ugly tomorrow, but I would greatly prefer Roge win in straights.

federer express
09-11-2005, 12:09 AM
agassi will have chances tomorrow in all likelihood. but federer will survive them like he usually does and win like he always does in the final!

federer express
09-11-2005, 12:14 AM
henman has always been a perfect example of the opposite....playing big points very badly!

andre the great
09-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Fed is so cool under pressure its awesome. Andre often lookls like he has ants in his pants. Even today in the 1st set against Robby. After getting the early break his nerves nearly gave the set back to Robby. Have to say he executed a cool volley to secure the 2nd break in that set. But I think tomorrow's final well come down to a few crucial points and if Dre doesn't hold his serve confidently then we will have to prepare to sit back and applaud Fed

Pea
09-11-2005, 01:08 AM
That tb.:drool:

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Yes that TB was phenomenal by Roge.
leyton was so discouraged losing 6 set points, it probably had big role in TB loss

mangoes
09-11-2005, 01:18 AM
nobody plays them nearly as well as federer. and that above anything else, is why he is streets ahead of the rest of the tour!!

Most definitely.................I also think Roger didn't want to exert too much mental energy in today's match. He knows he is going to need to be in top form tomorrow. Today it seemed like he just wanted to get through, not blaze through.

But when it came to moments like the TB, he moved into another gear, then went back down once he won the TB.

federer express
09-11-2005, 01:55 AM
and then you have players like nadal...who plays every point as if his life depended on it!

Bilbo
09-11-2005, 01:59 AM
Agassi is the best when it comes to win big points in my opinion

federer express
09-11-2005, 02:00 AM

not even close

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 02:03 AM

Pete was by far the best at saving the big ones. i cannot remember just how many times he would be down 0-40 and not blink and suddenly five bombs, and he had held with his tongue hanging out and not a flicker of emotion

rofe
09-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Most definitely.................I also think Roger didn't want to exert too much mental energy in today's match. He knows he is going to need to be in top form tomorrow. Today it seemed like he just wanted to get through, not blaze through.

But when it came to moments like the TB, he moved into another gear, then went back down once he won the TB.

I don't buy that and Fed doesn't either. In his interview he said that he had to focus more than normal to win the match. He looked very tired after the match and I don't think it was due to physical exertion.

Mental exertion takes a higher toll on the body so I hope he is mentally fresh for tomorrow's match.

rofe
09-11-2005, 02:05 AM

I don't agree. He would choke quite a bit during his younger days. He is much better now because he knows he is playing against borrowed time.

Bilbo
09-11-2005, 02:19 AM
Pete was by far the best at saving the big ones. i cannot remember just how many times he would be down 0-40 and not blink and suddenly five bombs, and he had held with his tongue hanging out and not a flicker of emotion

Sampras was all about serve and volley.

R.Federer
09-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Sampras was all about serve and volley. Yes, true. But that doesn't contradict that he was best imo at the big points

Federerhingis
09-11-2005, 04:26 AM
Yes, true. But that doesn't contradict that he was best imo at the big points

Yup Pete, man it was almost like a tactic that he allowed his opponents to go 0-40 on his serve to only serve three aces or 4 unreturnable serves, to further demoralize them. Sort of like saying ha, you thought I was going to let you beat me, think again sucker.

mangoes
09-11-2005, 04:39 AM
I don't buy that and Fed doesn't either. In his interview he said that he had to focus more than normal to win the match. He looked very tired after the match and I don't think it was due to physical exertion.

Mental exertion takes a higher toll on the body so I hope he is mentally fresh for tomorrow's match.

I know mental exertion takes a higher toll on the body and I do not think Roger wanted to exert too much mental energy in his match with Hewitt. And he didn't exert a load of mental energy in my opinion.

However, there is no way any of us would truly know what is going through Roger's head. I certainly don't believe everything fed to the media.

federer express
09-11-2005, 04:45 AM
federer had a 4 set match that he knew he was gonna win. agassi had a 5 set match that was touch n go til the end, after 2 previous 5 setters. oh yeah. agassi is 35 too.

trust me...agassi is the more fatigued

federer express
09-11-2005, 11:42 PM
federer wins tie-break 7-1

could this thread be more accurate!!!!

federer express
09-12-2005, 12:23 AM

mmmm.....

federer express
09-12-2005, 12:24 AM
agassi will have chances tomorrow in all likelihood. but federer will survive them like he usually does and win like he always does in the final!

:worship:

asotgod
09-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Federer express,

There you go giving yourself credit although I think you do deserve it. Agassi won the 2nd because he won the big points and Federer just could not win a breakpoint. Federer was neckdeep into Agassi's service games but messed up twice on his, some due to Agassi's return and more due to Federer's error and loses the second set 6-2. He somehow manages to win the third set tiebreak (again big points) and then steamrolls through the fourth. Tennis is all about big points.

federer express
09-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Federer express,

There you go giving yourself credit although I think you do deserve it. Agassi won the 2nd because he won the big points and Federer just could not win a breakpoint. Federer was neckdeep into Agassi's service games but messed up twice on his, some due to Agassi's return and more due to Federer's error and loses the second set 6-2. He somehow manages to win the third set tiebreak (again big points) and then steamrolls through the fourth. Tennis is all about big points.

i was taking the piss with the :worship: to my own post. but the match today did perfectly illustrate my point with this thread

asotgod
09-12-2005, 12:40 AM
i was taking the piss with the :worship: to my own post. but the match today did perfectly illustrate my point with this thread

It's all good. You are right with the motive for this thread. Tennis is all about big points. This match left me wondering whether the amount of big points Federer had escaped victoriously from will somehow come back to hunt him today. He just had problem converting on breakpoints, since yesterday.